Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 6[ 209 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Character Name Localizations (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

While the names sound cool, they need to be changed in order for the western audiences to get the meaning behind it. Here's a list of names that I've thought about:

Spoiler: LONG LIST
Druk: Dhru'uk (To make sure no one pronounces "Druk" as if it rhymed with "truck".)
Kiki Nanano: Betty de Famme
Naohito Fushigi: Thomas Terriman (The mystery man)
Dats Dinighel: Rahnin Ah'weigh (Running away)
Inga Karukul Kurain: Ingh Kahlkuhr Khura'in
Fon Myou: Riehl Nehim (Real name)
Torisaman: Aurum Avian (Aurum being Latin for "gold")
Susuru Uchitate: Buck Pensler
Fumiaki Sanagi: Nathan Chrysler ("Nathan" sounds like "nation", which is a synonym of civilization, which fits with his Japanese name, and "Chrysler" comes from "chrysalis", a butterfly pupa.)
Hilneria Sanagi: Nina Chrysler
Masaharu Kiyoki: Ledgie Timett (Legitimate. He even LOOKS like a Ledgie.)
Sousuke Odoroki: Pontus Justice (In Greek mythology, Pontus is the male counterpart of Thalassa)
Amara Shigataal Kurain: Amara Shiga'tahl Khura'in
Garan Shigataal Kurain: Gahr'aan Shiga'tahl Khura'in
Shizuku Ootsubu: Tia Streams (Tear streams)
Raito Haguruma: Vill Cogson ("Vill" comes from Orville and Wilbur Wright, and "Cogson" comes from "cog".)
Seiji Yonekura: Dariq Nohr (Dariq coming from "dark", and Nohr coming from "noir")
Kazuharu Juumonji: Sergei Croski
Hikari Haguruma: Dawn Cogson

Official names:
Bokuto Tsuani: Ahlbi Ur'gaid
Reifa Padma Kurain: Rayfa Padma Khura'in
Mima Waruhito: Paht Rohl
Ji'in Jiin: Tehm'pul Temple
Potdino Nikawas: Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin
Damaran: Dahmalan
Nayuta Sadmadhi: Nahyuta Sahdmadhi
Mitamaru: Shah'do
Mimi Nanano: Bonny de Famme
Kanenari Shinoyama: Roger Retinz
Mr. Menyō: Mr. Reus
Saara Aatam: "Beh'leeb"

Let me know if there are any other ideas, and I'll add them to the list!
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Last edited by Yash K. Productions on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:57 am, edited 20 times in total.
Re: Character Name LocalizationsTopic%20Title

Art Person

I was thinking Mimi Nanano's name could be Bonnie DuPree
With "Bonnie" sounding like "bunny" and "DuPree" apparently being from a french word meaning "from the meadow" (Kinda like where vegetables come from?)

Finding a vegetable pun is hard!

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

SuperAj3 wrote:
With "Bonnie" sounding like "bunny" and "DuPree" apparently being from a french word meaning "from the meadow" (Kinda like where vegetables come from?)

Added to the list!
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

The cape is self-fluttering

SuperAj3 wrote:

I dunno, there are dudes out there named Brock Lee...

(I guess that won't help when it comes to female names, though.)
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Holy Shinto. I just realized how punny the name Robert Downey could be. Unfortunately, it may be copyrighted...

Eh, we can keep "Robert", so everyone on staff can call him "Bob". Maybe Robert Harrow?

Then again, calling him Jack Harrow is quite tempting...
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Holy Shinto. I just realized how punny the name Robert Downey could be. Unfortunately, it may be copyrighted...

Eh, we can keep "Robert", so everyone on staff can call him "Bob". Maybe Robert Harrow?

Then again, calling him Jack Harrow is quite tempting...

I bet they'll take the last name and make it "Upton" or something.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Art Person

I wonder if Kanenari's name is gonna be something like a palendrom or a compound, because he switches the kanji in his surname around.
Any surnames that you could switch 2 segments and it makes a working surname?

Either that or his surname is "Stark" :basil:

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Anyone got any suggestions for Potdino Niwakas that isn't "Jesus Christ"?

RayquazaSenpai wrote:

Windsong?

Amory Paz?

Beardo McStrummerson?

...NAILED IT

Art Person

RayquazaSenpai wrote:

Chris Geezus

I agree with Nayuta remaining as is. His name is a word from a language other than Japanese (sanskrit). His name does mean something I think but it would be hard to localize Ten-Thousand and a state of Focus in Meditation. The use of Sanskrit also ties into his role as a Monk since it is a rare religious language in this time. It also might make the country seem less Japanese but still foreign.

So for the other characters I don't know if American names are the way to go for the Kurain characters. The names need to stay somewhat foreign. Maybe find a language to base them off of consistently.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Dotogam wrote:
I agree with Nayuta remaining as is. His name is a word from a language other than Japanese (sanskrit). His name does mean something I think but it would be hard to localize Ten-Thousand and a state of Focus in Meditation. The use of Sanskrit also ties into his role as a Monk since it is a rare religious language in this time. It also might make the country seem less Japanese but still foreign.

So for the other characters I don't know if American names are the way to go for the Kurain characters. The names need to stay somewhat foreign. Maybe find a language to base them off of consistently.

The "padma" part of Leifa's name can stay. I even suggested changing "Bokuto Tsuani" to "Tory Gaidhi". The names can be based either off of Tibetan or Sanskrit.

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Dotogam wrote:

The "padma" part of Leifa's name can stay. I even suggested changing "Bokuto Tsuani" to "Tory Gaidhi". The names can be based either off of Tibetan or Sanskrit.

Huh, sounds like an interesting idea. Tory Gaidhi is a very good name to me. The local characters (Japan/LA) should have an English name.

Kanenari could be named Jackson Stark if they were trying to imitate Depp's likeness. It doesn't sound too out of place I think.

Art Person

I kind of feel the Kurain characters should keep their current names (especially if they're based off Sanskrit, because I doubt even Japanese players would get the references at first glance). But maybe those Japanese puns could be translated.

I like the idea for Bokuto's name still carrying that style, Ray.

I don't believe many players in general would understand the Sanskrit names. Even in India, it's fairly rare from what I've noticed.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Leifa Padma Kurain is now "Rayfa Padma Khura'in", and Bokuto Tsuani is "Ahlbi Ur'gaid".

I guess it's fine, I don't know why they changed the spelling of Kurain. Rayfa is fine, though I prefer Leifa. in Albhi's case, it lines up with the original pun I guess so it's a good name. I just wonder what they'll change Nayuta's name to, I hope they don't change it, but they probably will anyway.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Glad they kept the tour guide pun, which is what many people were focusing on when giving Bokuto an English name.

I prefer Leifa, honestly. Reference to Princess Leia.

ASCEND

I kind of wish they didn't change them either. Not because I don't like the new names, but because it will take my brain forever to figure out "Oh wait, she's called Rayfa now."
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I hope they don't add an apostrophe in every name. If that happens, Mima's definitely going to be "Trei Shur'gad".

Art Person

If Rayfa didn't change her name, I'm guessing her father's gonna still be something like "Inga Culc'ool Khura'in"
(Also, I looked up the meaning of "Inga" and "Karma/fate" came up as the meaning.)

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Yash K. Productions wrote:
I hope they don't add an apostrophe in every name. If that happens, Mima's definitely going to be "Trei Shur'gad".

Agreed. I seriously hate names with apostrophes in them. :shoe:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

What's wrong with names that use apostrophes?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Art Person

linkenski wrote:

O'Connor and L'Belle?

I understand the reasoning for it in the Khura'in language is to make it sound more foreign. Also, I think the apostrophe is meant to be a "ʔ" (A glottal stop) for the Khura'in languages. So there's a small pause between the sounds.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I just thought of something:

Take out the repeat mark from Mimi's surname, the kanji literally mean "vegetable" (like carrots) and "field". You know, like a carrot field? And because Mimi's dressed as a bunny?

Guys, new suggestion: "Bonnie Greenfield".

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Perfect surname for Kanenari Shinoyama: Goldberg.
Spoiler: Case 2
Flip around "Goldberg" and you get "Berggold", which is a play on "burgled". This relates to the fact that he "broke into" the Agency and tried to foreclose it.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

SuperAj3 wrote:
linkenski wrote:

O'Connor and L'Belle?

I understand the reasoning for it in the Khura'in language is to make it sound more foreign. Also, I think the apostrophe is meant to be a "ʔ" (A glottal stop) for the Khura'in languages. So there's a small pause between the sounds.

No, because that's natural, it's more when you make a name like "Ural'ooser" that I think it's lame.

I don't know with Khura'in. It just looks annoying to me, I can't articulate why.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Art Person

Fair enough. I guess this is the translation team's way of making it look 'foreign'. (Which is weird because I know African languages use apostrophes in their written form).

Also, Case 2 name update! (I like Yash's for Kanenari! It's perfect!)
Spoiler: Case 2 info
If Mimi = Bonnie, then
Kiki = Betty (Because "Betty" sounds like "Batty" and she's the bat queen!)

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Revival

delete this please

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Oliver wrote:
delete this please

Then why did you write it?

Beauty and grace.

MBr wrote:
Glad they kept the tour guide pun, which is what many people were focusing on when giving Bokuto an English name.

I literally did not get that until you mentioned it.

Wotter boy

Saara Aatam -> Sahra A'tam
Malmel Aatam -> Mael A'tam

Just... sorta...
Kept their names the same but just a little bit different.

Who even knows?!

Potdino Nikowas- "Nison Rennards" (Nice serenades)

Kanenari Shinoyama/Jack Yamashino- "Ritchie Goldberg/Connor Berggold (The former refers to his money, while the other...
Spoiler: Case 2
Like Yash K. Productions said, Berggold refers to burgled, while Connor can refer to con or contract, since he tricked Trucy

Naohito Fushigi (Case 2 victim)- "Thomas Terriman" (Mystery man)

Turnabout Magic Show could be renamed
Spoiler:
The Staged Turnabout, as the murder takes place on a stage, and a part of the murder was staged

Malmel Aatam- "Faiyos Adith" (Face a death)

Saara Aatam- "Morna Adith"(Mourn a death)

In Justice We Trust?

Yamashino can be "Trevor Yenwood"

Because Robert backwards is Trebor
And Downey backwards is Yenwod

Also yen is Japanese currency, and this guy looks kinda rich.
Just went with a sig to see if it would work

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Jiin Temple is now Tehm'pul Temple.
Mima Waruhito is now Paht Rohl.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Jiin Temple is now Tehm'pul Temple.
Mima Waruhito is now Paht Rohl.

Calling it right now, Potdino will be called Gee Zeus or Baah N'joh.

I wish I WERE the best.

So does anyone know the meaning behind Potdino's, Mimi's, and Kanenari's name? It can help in determining what the localized names might be.

Yabba Dabba Doo

AnsweringNOW wrote:
So does anyone know the meaning behind Potdino's, Mimi's, and Kanenari's name? It can help in determining what the localized names might be.

I put Potdino's name in a translator, and I got "The glue pot D," :yogi:

I highly doubt this is correct, but there you go.

AnsweringNOW wrote:

I think I may have mentioned it already in another thread, but to recap...

Spoiler:
Potdino Niwakas - potto, suddenly; din/deen, the Persian equivalent of "religion", also the name of a Japanese pop band from the 90s; niwaka, improvised, hasty; wakasu, to boil / excite.

Nanano Mimi - nana, seven; mimi, ears; kanji flipped around spell out "veggies".

Shinoyama Kanenari - kane, money; nari emphasiezes it; his name flipped makes his nickname "Yamashino" ( it's tv staff lingo to do that); yamashi, prospector; yamashii, "feeling guilty".

Should I start a new thread for these pun origins? It may take a bit before I get my game copy, though.

AnsweringNOW wrote:

Hmm... would it, though? How often do they localize names based on the original Japanese meanings? I'm not picking or anything, but it seems to me they start fresh more often than not.

...NAILED IT
Page 1 of 6 [ 209 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)