Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 2 of 5[ 170 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 


Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Yeah, just as how 2-4's quality dropped heavily when Phoenix postpones it one more day too /s

I'm not really sure what I feel about it. But I've been thinking maybe this structure had been decided because technically DD also only had 2 real-length cases, so maybe that's what's within the team's writing budget for 5 cases, but instead of ending the game on a disappointing 1-day case they said "let's make case 2 the same way we made case 5 in the previous game" and then saved the best ones for the middle and ending instead. Who knows. I think the reason why case 2 is a 1-day trial (now that I've seen it) is maybe slightly arbitrary. It just seems... IDK, kinda unnecessary but at least they give you a story-reason for having to keep it all within a single day's lawyer work.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2230

Personally, I think it's a good idea on its own to not allow themselves to be too fixated on 'traditional' case structure. It's the story they want to tell that should dictate how a story is divided, not some arbitrary notion they need to follow that scheme in each game. Takumi himself too changed it between AA1 and 2, and DGS in particular is a good example of building the game about the story he wants to tell, and not just go by the numbers.

In terms of length, AA6-2 is really what you'd expect from any case 2, so it's not like that the one-day structure means there is less content.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Me? A doctor in a Nonary Game? As if!

Gender: Male

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:48 am

Posts: 6

Well, I went through ZSlyzer's youtube playthroughs, and dug up the numbers:

I-2 is ~2.17 hours.

1-2 is ~2.5 hours.

4-2 is ~3.8 hours.

2-2 is ~4 hours.

6-2 is ~4.7 hours.

3-2 is ~5 hours.

I2-2 is ~5.3 hours.

5-2 is ~5.6 hours.

I think the 6-2 number is a little inflated because it is from bolt's stream, and he did a little of side-investigations in his play through, whereas the other numbers don't include that at all, but even if you subtract a half hour from his time, it's still an average length for case 2.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6135

Whew, this game is still hitting all the right notes with me so far. I'm quite enjoying the premise of this case, and especially revisiting Trucy's lineage. With how AJ had ended, the retcon was inevitable and pretty much the only way they could have written up something about the Troupe again. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm glad I was wrong about the return of the Gramarye line. They wrote it well.

Rather, there is one thing I couldn't care as much for...
Spoiler:
Apollo knows Nayuta from before. The conversation went pretty much exactly like how Phoenix and Edgeworth had done back in 1-2. Did they really need to pull off this character plot again? Even if they did, they didn't need to rip off the same ambiance of that conversation.


Nonetheless, I'm coming to like Nayuta a lot. He has a respectable character design and a majestic theme, and he knows how to tell insults as they are.
Spoiler:
He even has a hilarious breakdown. And to top it all off, he gave Apollo the Sun Wukong treatment. Apollo confirmed to be a shapeshifting monkey. I can rest easy now.


I was a little disappointed with the villain's breakdown, though. It was fun to watch while it lasted.

And to that ending...
Spoiler:
Say, did we ever see Apollo starring in Trucy's magic acts in official art before? I don't remember, but the sight of Apollo in a box seems really familiar. Or perhaps I'm just thinking of fanart? It's been mentioned several times in past games that Trucy wanted an assistant out of Apollo, so that's no surprise.

Ah, that reminds me. The fact that he was the one who constructed the dragon set killed me. He toiled so much, and it came to a pile of clutter after some naughty twins pulled a prank.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Rather, there is one thing I couldn't care as much for...
Spoiler:
Apollo knows Nayuta from before. The conversation went pretty much exactly like how Phoenix and Edgeworth had done back in 1-2. Did they really need to pull off this character plot again? Even if they did, they didn't need to rip off the same ambiance of that conversation.

Spoiler:
While there's that, to me it felt more like pulling Aoi out of nowhere in DD

Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wotter boy

Gender: Male

Location: Somewhere, Someplace, Possibly Earth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am

Posts: 803

mfw Cases 2 and 4 are honestly my favourites cases in the game.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Gender: Male

Location: Tehm'pul Temple

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Posts: 1496

I'm going to sum up part of this case in four words.
Spoiler:
KIKI. IS. A. BITCH.

POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6135

Yash K. Productions wrote:
I'm going to sum up part of this case in four words.
Spoiler:
KIKI. IS. A. BITCH.

Yeah, but
Spoiler:
being tsundere does that to her. Besides, of all the things in this case you could have called a "bitch", you chose her?

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

I hate to ask, but when you say
Spoiler: SoJ
Kiki is a bitch!

Is that a directly comparable statement to
Spoiler: DD
Means is a jerk?

This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yabba Dabba Doo

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding from responsibility

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am

Posts: 655

Spoiler:
Damn, I enjoyed this case much more than I thought I would. Honestly, the pacing wasn't that bad. I actually think this case was better paced than TFT. The contradictions felt well designed, the characters were great, and taking down the villain was extremely satisfying.


Also...
Spoiler: Prologue spoilers
To those who watched the prologue, we know that Phoenix went to Khura'in because of Maya screaming and shit. But to those who haven't seen the prologue, Phoenix is just there for a vacation to visit her. Which means that, to those who didn't see the prologue, Phoenix went on vacation at the same time his daughter was being live broadcasted across the nationfor the first time. What a great dad.


So, uh, yeah. Great case.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

I just started the case. I played all of the investigation segment in Japanese already, so now I get to make sense of it lol, but honestly while I was gushing hard over how cool this setup seemed, now that I understand it some things don't make sense, some things are forced and the writing is a step below what it was in 6-1.

First off:
Spoiler:
The mystery. Why does Trucy even stab the box? In the act Bonny is the foe and Trucy is trying to defeat her, she gets shoved into the box, then gets out via magic replacing Mr Hat with its sword, and then she stabs the box... Why? If this is not explained it is a crippling contrivance that makes the entire mystery seem completely forced.

Another thing is Mr. Reus. Is this really the best they could do in bringing up a plot point from AJAA? Retconning in another member into the Troupe? How come we never even heard about this guy in AJAA then, given how central the Gramarye back story was to that game?

Finally, the writing sucks in this case so far. When Trucy suddenly goes "I'm nervous", Apollo introduces his over saturated use of the word "fine" for the first time in the game and she INSTANTLY goes "Wow, I feel much better! Thank you so much!". What the fuck was that for an emotional kindergarten slide? Then we have Bonny and Retinz. Bonny's ominous monologue in the dressing room was god awful. If she is the villain I already hate this case. Retinz, strikes me as a typical DD character. Everything he says boils down to the same trait being repeated ad nauseum in a really boring way. I loved Andastandin in case 1 because the writers or localizers were super creative with his language talking in flamboyant thrash metal lyrics and really hilariously grotesque rhymes. Retinz is also intended to be a "funny evil character" but his dialogue so far does not cut it. He's fucking boring like your average Yamazaki character, that has the most striking design in the world and the most flat dialogue ever.

This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Gender: Male

Location: Tehm'pul Temple

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Posts: 1496

Am I the only one who didn't like Nahyuta's English sutra? His Objection seemed pretty decent to me…
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
The mystery. Why does Trucy even stab the box? In the act Bonny is the foe and Trucy is trying to defeat her, she gets shoved into the box, then gets out via magic replacing Mr Hat with its sword, and then she stabs the box... Why? If this is not explained it is a crippling contrivance that makes the entire mystery seem completely forced.

Yeah, that bothered me too when I played. No, it's never explained/addressed.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Mia Payne

Gender: Male

Location: Winning All My God Damn Cases

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 am

Posts: 1334

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
The mystery. Why does Trucy even stab the box? In the act Bonny is the foe and Trucy is trying to defeat her, she gets shoved into the box, then gets out via magic replacing Mr Hat with its sword, and then she stabs the box... Why? If this is not explained it is a crippling contrivance that makes the entire mystery seem completely forced.

Yeah, that bothered me too when I played. No, it's never explained/addressed.

It's for the show, it's to show no one was in the box, like when a magician goes "see guys, ordinary cylinder, no tricks"
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yabba Dabba Doo

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding from responsibility

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am

Posts: 655

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
The mystery. Why does Trucy even stab the box? In the act Bonny is the foe and Trucy is trying to defeat her, she gets shoved into the box, then gets out via magic replacing Mr Hat with its sword, and then she stabs the box... Why? If this is not explained it is a crippling contrivance that makes the entire mystery seem completely forced.

Yeah, that bothered me too when I played. No, it's never explained/addressed.


I'm guessing she did it to show that it was actually Trucy outside the box and that she did escape.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Hot Dog

Gender: Male

Location: Spain

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:37 am

Posts: 35

Well, I'm finishing this case's investigation, and these are my impressions for this first half of this case:

Spoiler:
The Good things:
-Trucy's and Ema's characterisations are on point. I really like both of them. Trucy is no longer a panty joke with legs like in Dual Destinies and shows a lot of traits from her appearance in Apollo Justice; and Ema is a mix between the lovable Ema we got to know in AA1 and Edgeworth's games and the grumpy Ema that appeared in Apollo Justice.

-The idea for this case. I like that we got a case centered around magic, it's something that we've never seen before in Ace Attorney (well, not this kind of magic, I mean). We got the circus case in Justice for All, but the magic part was not the focus in that one.

-The return of the option to examine every place you are in. It was something that I reeeaaaally missed in Dual Destinies. We got really funny conversations in this game, I have to say... But not all the dialogues are interesting and/or funny and some of them come as cringey or narmy.

The Bad things:

-The retcon with the Gramaryes. Hey, remember this new guy? He was a member of the Troupe, don't you recall? It's stupid, because they could introduce this new character making him connected to the Gramaryes without making him an old member who just vanished after getting injured or whatever. Maybe he could be a magician who greatly admired the Troupe, or maybe he could be a rival magician who hated their guts, I dunno. This retcon is plainly stupid.

-Bonny and the producer feel like Dual Destinies characters, yep. The producer guy was kinda funny at first, but he got boring after repeating the same jokes over and over. And I suppose that Bonny will get a chance to develop her character during the trial, because so far she has been quite dull.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
The mystery. Why does Trucy even stab the box? In the act Bonny is the foe and Trucy is trying to defeat her, she gets shoved into the box, then gets out via magic replacing Mr Hat with its sword, and then she stabs the box... Why? If this is not explained it is a crippling contrivance that makes the entire mystery seem completely forced.

Yeah, that bothered me too when I played. No, it's never explained/addressed.

Ugh. I have a feeling the writers realized this and just didn't want to do anything about it because it would've destroyed the case, and thinking up alternative scenarios to who could've been in the box or swapping positions only create worse outcomes. Hm. Shame, because going further in the case mystery is pretty nice. I mean, Yamazaki loves this stuff with mechanics and ropes and obscuring the body with props etc. And this is the most plausible setting for it, but eh. Really a shame the whole thing is pretty contrived.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The Twisted Samurai

Gender: Male

Location: Wherever I may roam.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Posts: 4848

One question: After talking to the producer-guy, I can't go and talk to Trucy in the detention center. She simply doesn't appear. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Found it.
Image
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

linkenski wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
The mystery. Why does Trucy even stab the box? In the act Bonny is the foe and Trucy is trying to defeat her, she gets shoved into the box, then gets out via magic replacing Mr Hat with its sword, and then she stabs the box... Why? If this is not explained it is a crippling contrivance that makes the entire mystery seem completely forced.

Yeah, that bothered me too when I played. No, it's never explained/addressed.

Ugh. I have a feeling the writers realized this and just didn't want to do anything about it because it would've destroyed the case, and thinking up alternative scenarios to who could've been in the box or swapping positions only create worse outcomes. Hm. Shame, because going further in the case mystery is pretty nice. I mean, Yamazaki loves this stuff with mechanics and ropes and obscuring the body with props etc. And this is the most plausible setting for it, but eh. Really a shame the whole thing is pretty contrived.

It's a shame, but tbf it's one small action in a magic act, and while there isn't much of a reason to do it, it's not like there's a compelling reason not to do it. Having one small strange action didn't make the entire scenario contrived to me.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Yeah well, the rest is pretty fine and I can buy that it was more of a presentational gesture to stab the sword like some pointed out. Aside from that being a little distracting, I like seeing Ema again,
Spoiler:
and I think even if it's shortlived this is actually a bit of development for Trucy and Apollo and it doesn't feel forced to me. I remember I commented earlier that I thought it would be lame if Trucy was crying and super emotional now if it meant they had forgotten what Phoenix said about her in 4-4 being brave and all, but you can tell Yamazaki knows all of this because they address it well. I'm also surprised at how good some of the commentary is when you investigate. Apollo says something about how he helped set up the dragon prop with Trucy, being her assistant and that he didn't mind because she smiles in a way that feels special to him. That's sweet and it also makes you know that they have sort of an inner caring for each other as (unknowing) siblings.

Dunno how much further the addressing of AJAA stuff goes in this game, but I like that it's subtle but it's still not shy of directly referencing the Gramaryes or Lamiroir even. That said, I still don't understand why the writers haven't dared to delve into them being half-siblings yet.

This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
Dunno how much further the addressing of AJAA stuff goes in this game, but I like that it's subtle but it's still not shy of directly referencing the Gramaryes or Lamiroir even. That said, I still don't understand why the writers haven't dared to delve into them being half-siblings yet.

There are still definitely some obvious hard limits, though...
Spoiler:
"Hey look, a poster of the Gramaryes! That's Magnifi, Trucy's grandfather... That's Zak, Trucy's father... And that's all the important ones!"

Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The miracle never happen

Gender: Male

Location: The Twilight Realm

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Posts: 182

Spoiler:
I loved this case much more than imagined I would, the investigation was never boring, the characters were all very original and fun, the villain was awesome and extremely satisfying to take down, the retcon can easily be explained if you simply say that he wasn't with the Gramaryes long enough and boom, you explain why Apollo never heard of him back in AJ:AA, I feel like hating on the retcon is just nitpicking, and seriously, I loved the villain, his design, his persona, his theme, like damn that was a really good theme, and his break down, he was surprisingly well written.

"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
Dunno how much further the addressing of AJAA stuff goes in this game, but I like that it's subtle but it's still not shy of directly referencing the Gramaryes or Lamiroir even. That said, I still don't understand why the writers haven't dared to delve into them being half-siblings yet.

There are still definitely some obvious hard limits, though...
Spoiler:
"Hey look, a poster of the Gramaryes! That's Magnifi, Trucy's grandfather... That's Zak, Trucy's father... And that's all the important ones!"

Yeah maybe it's a little... sought (or whatever you can call it), that did strike me as well.
Spoiler:
I'm more concerned with how they bring the Gramarye name up so heavily and reference it but then the only thing they DO with it is retcon a new "Gramarye" into their ranks we hadn't heard about and... lol, one that obviously sticks out from the AA4 art of all members, except Magnifi who was also redrawn. And another really annoying thing... of all things why can't I examine the Magnifi portrait in the WAA? It seems like the most obvious one to be able to get comments on in this case :/

It's kinda the same issue with how they handle most of the established canon in general. It's all "Look at this sweet memory you have of (trilogy or AJAA)! Why don't we look at it some more exactly the way it was! ...anyway, back to the plot which has nothing to do with that, actually!" :edgey:

Spoiler: Another annoyance
I got to the part of Trucy getting her notebook back and I get deja vu. Didn't Yamazaki just reuse and apply Kay getting a notebook from her dad that tells her how to be? It's the same. Moreover the creed that "A true entertainer always keeps a smile on their face" is the same as "Lawyers are people that smile no matter how bad it gets". I mean, c'mon! Why is Yamazaki so immodest about blatantly reusing key elements from earlier plotline like this? It's not a mystery prop or a little thing, it's important story details that completely mimic ideas that have already been applied before, and using them a second time on other characters in slight variations does not have the same impact. :grey:

And ooooohhh no... I just realized this. They're giving Trucy a "backstory" akin to "I'm fine" now aren't they? Oh please, is this really necessary?
Spoiler:
Her smiling and being brave while she's fragile underneath is something that was so sweetly communicated in AJAA that I empathised with because you understand what she has gone through losing her dad like that as a little kid. Oh, no-no-no you don't Capcom. Don't give her a backstory that "explains" it or you're misinterpreting her character. Lol :payne:

This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yabba Dabba Doo

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding from responsibility

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am

Posts: 655

Spoiler: Issue brought up before
Now that I think about it, I don't think it was done for the purpose of showing the box was empty. If it was just an empty box, then there would be no need to do the sword switch. IIRC, Mr. Reus was supposed to be brought back to life in act two, so my guess is that he was supposed to be in the coffin when Trucy stabbed it.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The miracle never happen

Gender: Male

Location: The Twilight Realm

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Posts: 182

Thunder84 wrote:
Spoiler: Issue brought up before
Now that I think about it, I don't think it was done for the purpose of showing the box was empty. If it was just an empty box, then there would be no need to do the sword switch. IIRC, Mr. Reus was supposed to be brought back to life in act two, so my guess is that he was supposed to be in the coffin when Trucy stabbed it.

Spoiler:
Actually they explain in the case that Mr Reus is supposed to appear in the backstage coffin, not the front one.

"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Elite of CR Apparently

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Posts: 54

I just finished this case about an hour ago, and I loved it. The investigation was more interesting then I'd thought it'd be (I was actually interested in the investigation segment this time, usually I can't stand them) and the trial segment was pretty good as well! Some of my favorites things from the case (put in lovely spoiler tag format for anyone who doesn't want a itsy-bitsy spoiler for the case if they haven't finished or playing :phoenix: ) were...

Spoiler: Trucy
I liked Trucy's characterization in this case. It's definitely a step up from DD, and it feels they tried to put more in then what they did in AJ. The Detention Center part was the highlight of the case for me. The little reference, I guess you could say, to Trucy's 8 year old sprite from AJ was neat, and the crying moment was sweet. :,)


Spoiler: Bonny
Bonny's character was, to me, cute and didn't ever get on my nerves. Her animations were pretty cute as well, I was never bothered when she was on screen.

However...
Spoiler:
I was a fan of Betty too. The bat motif was quite nice, and the little show the twins put on for the reveal was an excellent touch. Their testimony and model animations were pretty good too.


Spoiler: Nahyuta, or whatever his name is
I would've put his last name in the Spoiler tag, but these darned Khura'inese people have such weird names! :tigre: Anyways, not the best part of the case (In fact, he's the last noteworthy thing I have for TMT), but he's certainly a great part of this case, he's not quite on the level of antagonizing the Defense like previous prosecutors, but he's still rude either way. Quite like his role in this case, and his character so far.

(Plus, the breaking beads scene was a perfect addition. Serves him right after chucking them at Apollo and them... somehow getting around his head and managing to tighten up.... Khura'in... logic? :ron:


And that's pretty much the good stuff, I've probably rambled on for a bit too long, so I'll put my minimal dislikes in one Tag:
Spoiler:
1: The Gramarye Poster. Like, okay, let's remind everyone of Magnifi and Zak, but let's not touch on Valant and Thalassa, because they OBVIOUSLY don't matter! :edgeworth:

2: Retinz. Ugh. I mean, I liked him, but geez. Could anyone be more annoying? But I guess that's what they were going for.


Okay, now I can finally end this text wall. Overall, I'd get The Magical Turnabout a 4.8/5. Good case, probably my 3rd favorite.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Derper

Gender: Male

Location: Volley of Cannons

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Posts: 228

Spoiler: The Magic Act
The problem with the magic act is that we don't really know how the entire magic show's supposed to go so certain aspects seem random. For all we know, there was a part of the act that immediately needed a fake sword after the part we saw and Trucy stabbed the coffin to make it seem like it wasn't switched in order not to break immersion.

Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14114

Man I'm not long into it but already I feel its delivering a lot of what I wanted from DD.

A follow up on the Gramayre stuff

Trucy dealing with actual turmoil and having depth as a result

A distinct line about fans of her magic panties being disappointed (which I'm sure is to apologise for her being such a one-trick panty in the last game)

I'm just so glad Trucy is back in a meaningful way.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

The only gripe is that it feels too much like a response to the criticisms of how DD didn't do these things rather than something they wanted to do because it would serve a purpose. It's nice, but I wonder if they would've done any of it if people hadnt complained, and the result is that it feels a bit like "okay, here's your answer, now, back to SoJ!"
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Pierre wrote:
I'm just so glad Trucy is back in a meaningful way.

for one case

>_>


(i guess there are so many characters now most can only get one case, but that's a different issue)
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Pierre wrote:

I'm just so glad Trucy is back in a meaningful way.


Just leaving this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz9XYIiTkh0
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Bad Player wrote:
Pierre wrote:
I'm just so glad Trucy is back in a meaningful way.

for one case

>_>


(i guess there are so many characters now most can only get one case, but that's a different issue)

Which is why if there is an AA7 it's about time they stick to one protagonist and say Athena or whoever are on vacation.

Anyway, made it to the trial. First impressions ensues.

How to write a Yamazaki rival: Make them blather about until you're no longer listening. And about his working relationship with Ema... too much Ema and Klavier in that she doesn't get along with him. They also simplified Ema's characterization. They are too upfront about her and "stress" now.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14114

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I'm just so glad Trucy is back in a meaningful way.


Just leaving this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz9XYIiTkh0


? Am I wrong?

She's miles better compared to when she was in Dual Destinies.

Likewise with Ema, a return to her bright persona that loves science that was lost in AA4.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

I'm a bit further into the trial... And we're back to having DD-stylr writing where all the characters talk too much and are formal. I know it's court, but this is Ace Attorney not real life, a series that is literally defined by making trials "exciting" but ever since DD they decided to make it "realistic" in terms of the courtroom procedure so the characters talk in very articulate language and make everything very, very clear. Having to go through the process of Apollo first asking the witness to confirm what they states, then explain in full how it goes against the evidence, then hear the judge speculate what fact about the case has changed really sucks the energy out of the peppy Objection theme playing over it.

I hate how they are obsessed with explaining stuff. It's not necessary to hear Nahyuta bring up the multiple other possibilities now that the facts have changed. I don't care if I can "argue it was ivoluntary manslaughter or if it's "accidental" >_> C'mon, make it funny and energetic, exclaim the contradiction and then make these conclusions in your head or have the prosecutor stealthily move on to his next point to change the tide. This is tedious.

I wish the game would pep up this procedure. And we were starting off so well in case 1.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

linkenski wrote:
I'm a bit further into the trial... And we're back to having DD-stylr writing where all the characters talk too much and are formal. I know it's court, but this is Ace Attorney not real life, a series that is literally defined by making trials "exciting" but ever since DD they decided to make it "realistic" in terms of the courtroom procedure so the characters talk in very articulate language and make everything very, very clear. Having to go through the process of Apollo first asking the witness to confirm what they states, then explain in full how it goes against the evidence, then hear the judge speculate what fact about the case has changed really sucks the energy out of the peppy Objection theme playing over it.

I wish the game would pep up this procedure. And we were starting off so well in case 1.

"realistic" :moe-laugh:

The worst part is that even while they're overly-specific about the current point they're talking about, the Yamazaki team has a bad habit of letting the big picture get really muddy.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Well exactly.

I know why it's silly to call it "realistic" but you know, they used to talk to each other in court in a more quip way back in the trilogy and AJAA too, and they yell more, which is part of this series' identity I think, that's why we have these big speech bubbles exclaiming "OBJECTION!", and it really removes something when they keep taking it slow and methodical here going "You claim x happened, right? That isn't true, the defense asserts that the witnesses claim is false" or whatever. I just feel like they talk too much. Ironic since this series is known for its abundance of text, but I really feel like they talk too much in these games.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Pierre wrote:

? Am I wrong?

She's miles better compared to when she was in Dual Destinies.

Likewise with Ema, a return to her bright persona that loves science that was lost in AA4.

I'll let the previous comment speak for itself:
Bad Player wrote:
for one case

>_>

Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Close enough...

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14114

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Pierre wrote:

? Am I wrong?

She's miles better compared to when she was in Dual Destinies.

Likewise with Ema, a return to her bright persona that loves science that was lost in AA4.

I'll let the previous comment speak for itself:
Bad Player wrote:
for one case

>_>


So you acknowledge that I am right but that somehow the fact they only do it for one case diminishes that?

No...I think that's fine...even the person you are quoting said "well the cast is so huge now I think that's understandable."
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

What is my liiiife?!?

Gender: Male

Location: UK

Rank: Admin

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:02 am

Posts: 2504

This was an amazing case, but then, I like pretty much everything so I dunno if my opinion counts for anything. That being said, I don't get the whole 'it sucks that court dialogue is being treated differently' argument; As Prosecutor Sadmahdhi says 'let it go.'

Then again, people said the same to me when I objected to Nick becoming main protagonist again, so maybe I'm not being reasonable.
Re: Case two discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Rebel Scum

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Pierre wrote:
So you acknowledge that I am right but that somehow the fact they only do it for one case diminishes that?

No...I think that's fine...even the person you are quoting said "well the cast is so huge now I think that's understandable."

I didn't say that it was understandable. I said that was a separate problem :P

Trucy is amazing, and while giving her an actual role in one case is a huge step up from "Hi, magic panties magic panties magic panties, bye!" in DD, it's still a far cry from her in AJ.
Page 2 of 5 [ 170 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO