Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 2 of 3[ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: General impressions threadTopic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

DD also gave Apollo an extra part of his backstory that clearly wasn't planned in AJAA, especially the part where they explain why he says "I'm fine" lol, but honestly I didn't like that as much as it had the same charm as the Classroom trial though.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Yabba Dabba Doo

I think one major reason for Apollo's odd backstory is the change in writers. Takumi probably had a different approach for Apollo than Yamakazi, and having those two approaches overlap made it...rough, to say the least.

scarlet-flowers wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:
linkenski wrote:
I can confirm, being a n3DS player that the framerate doesn't get a boost, and it is notably choppier than DD which is something I'll have to get used to. (but with homebrew I think it's possible to manually speed up things, but it might not do a whole lot since it's the graphics processor that's being overworked)

It's a good idea not to use 3D at all becuase it just makes the framerate too laggy I think. I think it's around an average of 20fps maybe, but the framerate seems to have been locked so it doesn't go above 30 when you get 2D artwork.

In that case I'm guessing they targeted iOS during development as well and we'll see a port announcement in a few months. It's a shame, because I really like the new 3D animations - they just don't run well.

Also, about the retcon thing - that may have been slightly too strong a word. I don't think the game ever goes back and says "this thing that happened before didn't happen." What it does do is shove in some major new backstory and character relations that had never been mentioned before and which don't make a lot of sense to have never mentioned before. It also uses the letter of the law in dodging a retcon at one point.

As for which characters...

Spoiler: AA6 general
Apollo and the Gramaryes have their backstories altered/expanded in ways that don't really make sense.

Not really sure what that would entail, but tbf Trials and Tribulations gave Phoenix and Mia backstories that were never hinted at in the previous two games.

I think other users have already mentioned this, but Phoenix and Mia's added backstories in T&T didn't amount to THAT much. Phoenix just was involved in a murder case in college, and had a crazy ex-girlfriend. And all the backstory Mia got was: she had a "dead" boyfriend, and she dealt with a vicious criminal twice :dahlia:. (It makes sense that the whole Dahlia thing wasn't mentioned, since it really just was a couple of incidents some time ago.)

From what I can tell, the added backstories this game has... well... Imagine that Misty's connection to the DL-6 Incident was introduced in game 3, not game 1. Yeah, it's something like that.

Oh, okay, yeah that's a retcon then. Now I wonder what it is. Sometimes retcons can work I think, but in most cases they kinda smell because it's a cheap way of creating continuity. Reminds me of how much the writers misused Cerberus in the Mass Effect games.

Hot Dog

Giving a character an unplanned backstory is always risky. I don't like retcons because they seem so lazy. The ones in T&T work because they were very specific things (although when you replay the first game it's weird to see that Phoenix and Marvin Grossberg don't know each other), but this game gives a lot of information.
They could have adapted the background stories given to some characters in this game to what we knew about them already, but that's not the case, they just throw the new information and hope that it doesn't change anything relevant XD It's lazy writing, and I don't like it in a Ace Attorney game.

Wotter boy

Proyectil wrote:
Giving a character an unplanned backstory is always risky. I don't like retcons because they seem so lazy. The ones in T&T work because they were very specific things (although when you replay the first game it's weird to see that Phoenix and Marvin Grossberg don't know each other), but this game gives a lot of information.
They could have adapted the background stories given to some characters in this game to what we knew about them already, but that's not the case, they just throw the new information and hope that it doesn't change anything relevant XD It's lazy writing, and I don't like it in a Ace Attorney game.

Maybe the translation could help it come across a bit more clearer and not so.. ret-conny maybe. I doubt, but we could always hope. But I think with the amount of backstory this game gives, it might be a bit hard without making it seem that way.

I can image the Grossberg thing tho since he doesn't seem to have a good memory anyway since, if I remember the games correctly, he has a hard time remember Maya despite the fact they met months ago. (don't quote me on this, I haven't played the original trilogy in years)

Art Person

So far I think the only 'retcon' is that
Spoiler: GS6 and a continuity related question
Apollo knew both his parents before he lost them, and yet he didn't recognise Thalassa as Lamiroir, when she hadn't changed visually AT ALL since her time in the magic troupe. That, and I find it stupid a middle-school student would fly solo to Japan to study at school there, with no family to live with, and no motive. It's not like he lived with Zak and Trucy or anything, he just sorta teleported there to go to school and disappears into the ether when not interacting with Clay.

Wotter boy

SuperAj3 wrote:
Apollo knew both his parents before he lost them, and yet he didn't recognise Thalassa as Lamiroir, when she hadn't changed visually AT ALL since her time in the magic troupe. That, and I find it stupid a middle-school student would fly solo to Japan to study at school there, with no family to live with, and no motive. It's not like he lived with Zak and Trucy or anything, he just sorta teleported there to go to school and disappears into the ether when not interacting with Clay.

Spoiler: About AJ things
I mean, it could've been the mask and the shawl and the fact that Apollo hasn't seen her since he was really young. He knew her, but he might've not recognised her because he couldn't remember her face exactly. Remember that Trucy didn't recognise her either, and I think Trucy had more time with her and had less time away from her.

Art Person

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:

I mean, it could've been the mask and the shawl and the fact that Apollo hasn't seen her since he was really young. He knew her, but he might've not recognised her because he couldn't remember her face exactly. Remember that Trucy didn't recognise her either, and I think Trucy had more time with her and had less time away from her.

Spoiler: Still GS6 end stuff spoilers
Doesn't Apollo present the photo of his dad though? Or did I misunderstand this point. When I heard that I thought "Well, he never forgot his dad, how could he forget his mum? But yeah, they pulled the "I can't remember my mother's face" with Maya and Misty too, so that makes sense.

迷探偵

SuperAj3 wrote:
Spoiler:
Doesn't Apollo present the photo of his dad though? Or did I misunderstand this point. When I heard that I thought "Well, he never forgot his dad, how could he forget his mum? But yeah, they pulled the "I can't remember my mother's face" with Maya and Misty too, so that makes sense.

Spoiler:
Apollo was still a baby when he was (practically) orphaned, so it's not strange he wouldn't remember the faces of his parents. Remember, everything Sosuke had with him (pictures) was burnt in the fire and it took Druk ages and immense effort to even locate a picture of the man afterwards, so there was no way Apollo was ever going to remember the faces of his parents.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Hot Dog

Another retcon is that

Spoiler:
suddenly the Troupe Gramarye were five people instead of four, and the fifth member was someone that wasn't mentioned at all in Apollo Justice. This can be easily handwaved as "nobody wanted to talk about the fifth member" (but why exactly?), but still, it's changing something very specific that was explained in Apollo Justice: the Troupe Gramarye were Magnifi, Valant, Thalassa and Zak.

Still, this one is less glaring than the one you talked about, but anyway, I find this one very stupid too.

Derper

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:

Spoiler: 6-5
I'm not sure how someone who lost their parents when he was a baby's supposed to recognize his parents decades later though:

Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

Art Person

Reglare wrote:
I'm not sure how someone who lost their parents when he was a baby's supposed to recognize his parents decades later though:

Spoiler:
OHH (OMG BABY SPIKES!) OK literally he was a baby. So that explains that. I hadn't seen this screenshot! Just the family photo of Druk, Apollo and Nayuta, so I thought he was much older. Where is this scene shown? Got any gameplay links?

Ash wrote:
Spoiler:
Apollo was still a baby when he was (practically) orphaned, so it's not strange he wouldn't remember the faces of his parents. Remember, everything Sosuke had with him (pictures) was burnt in the fire and it took Druk ages and immense effort to even locate a picture of the man afterwards, so there was no way Apollo was ever going to remember the faces of his parents.

Ahh. OK, I didn't know all the details, just sorta bits and pieces people've spoken about here on the forums.

Thanks for clarifying XD (Just when I thought I'd spoiled it all, I missed a lot XD)

Derper

SuperAj3 wrote:
Spoiler:
OHH (OMG BABY SPIKES!) OK literally he was a baby. So that explains that. I hadn't seen this screenshot! Just the family photo of Druk, Apollo and Nayuta, so I thought he was much older. Where is this scene shown? Got any gameplay links?

My internet connection's horrible right now so I can't load the vid but I'm sure it's around the 24 minute mark here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziiUZHqntrE

迷探偵

Proyectil wrote:
Another retcon is that

Spoiler:
suddenly the Troupe Gramarye were five people instead of four, and the fifth member was someone that wasn't mentioned at all in Apollo Justice. This can be easily handwaved as "nobody wanted to talk about the fifth member" (but why exactly?), but still, it's changing something very specific that was explained in Apollo Justice: the Troupe Gramarye were Magnifi, Valant, Thalassa and Zak.

Still, this one is less glaring than the one you talked about, but anyway, I find this one very stupid too.

I'd consider this one very easily explained, as it happens all the time in the real world.
Spoiler:
Like, nobody would normally mention the sixth member of Japanese boyband SMAP, even if he did exist at one time. If Mr. Menyo was only part of the Troupe for a short period of time in the eyes of the public, and never really part of the bigger 'legacy' of the Troupe, people *are* more likely to forget about him when talking about the Troupe in general. Sure, people might remember if asked about him, but it happens quite often that ex-members of such groups are forgotten (or ignored) by the public over time. Even for the Troupe members themselves, they've might only considered it all just a part of Troupe history that has no bearing at all at their current situation

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Hot Dog

Ash wrote:
I'd consider this one very easily explained, as it happens all the time in the real world.
Spoiler:
Like, nobody would normally mention the sixth member of Japanese boyband SMAP, even if he did exist at one time. If Mr. Menyo was only part of the Troupe for a short period of time in the eyes of the public, and never really part of the bigger 'legacy' of the Troupe, people *are* more likely to forget about him when talking about the Troupe in general. Sure, people might remember if asked about him, but it happens quite often that ex-members of such groups are forgotten (or ignored) by the public over time. Even for the Troupe members themselves, they've might only considered it all just a part of Troupe history that has no bearing at all at their current situation

Spoiler:
Well, I don't know. I mean, it's true that in real life some groups lose a member and he or she is not missed, but if you talk to the members of that group about said group's story at some point they should talk about that member that is no longer in the group because reasons.

For example, when Magnifi was "murdered" the two suspects were Valant and Zak, but was this fifth member ever considered a suspect at any point of the investigation? Were there any reasons to only suspect Zak and Valant? Was Menyo out of the country? He had reasons to kill Magnifi if they ended in bad terms (even though the player knows that only Zak and Valant were at the crime scene, the police doesn't). But Menyo could not have been a suspect, because he didn't exist! XD

I mean, yes, of course it's less plot-changing than the thing about Apollo, which makes no sense at all, but I don't like the way they handled the Troupe Gramarye in this case. Imagine that they add a third Fey sister along Misty and Morgan, but nobody knew about her because she disappeared a long time ago! And now she is back, and she seeks revenge!! These are soap opera's plotwists, and I don't mind them if they are handled cautiously, but Spirit of Justice does a poor job handling these twists.

Last edited by Proyectil on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hot Dog

Edit: Ooops, sorry, double post.

Derper

Proyectil wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, I don't know. I mean, it's true that in real life some groups lose a member and he or she is not missed, but if you talk to the members of that group about said group's story at some point they should talk about that member that is no longer in the group because reasons.

For example, when Magnifi was "murdered" the two suspects were Valant and Zak, but was this fifth member ever considered a suspect at any point of the investigation? Were there any reasons to only suspect Zak and Valant? Was Menyo out of the country? He had reasons to kill Magnifi if they ended in bad terms (even though the player knows that only Zak and Valant were at the crime scene, the police doesn't). But Menyo could not have been a suspect, because he didn't exist! XD

I mean, yes, of course it's less plot-changing than the thing about Apollo, which makes no sense at all, but I don't like the way they handled the Troupe Gramarye in this case. Imagine that they add a third Fey sister along Misty and Morgan, but nobody knew about her because she disappeared a long time ago! And now she is back, and she seeks revenge!! These are soap opera's plotwists, and I don't mind them if they are handled cautiously, but Spirit of Justice does a poor job handling these twists.

Spoiler:
By that logic, Morgan Fey shouldn't exist along with the twins because the first game never said they were part of the Fey family.

Also, let me ask you this. If someone was part of a game development team, had minimal exposure, left during development, and they decided not to include him in the credits, would you know about that person?

Hot Dog

Reglare wrote:
Proyectil wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
By that logic, Morgan Fey shouldn't exist along with the twins because the first game never said they were part of the Fey family.

Also, let me ask you this. If someone was part of a game development team, had minimal exposure, left during development, and they decided not to include him in the credits, would you know about that person?

Spoiler:
Sorry, but it's not the same case. In the first game they never talked about Mia and Maya's family, except that their mother was a spirit medium, she disappeared after some case and their father is dead. In the second game they introduce Morgan and Pearl, creating a background never given (Kurain Village, the branches, all that stuff). If they introduce a third sister, it would change a background already given (there were two sisters, one was older but weaker so the title went to the younger one, blah blah), but the second game and Morgan's first appearance doesn't change anything. For example, Dahlia and Iris's sudden apparition in the third game DOES change something already explained (Morgan only had one daughter up until that point), but they did explain why we never learned anything about the twins until the third game: Morgan's husband left her and he took their two daughters with him. That's a pretty valid reason to justify why Morgan never talks about them.

And no, I wouldn't know about that person, but the other developers would, and if some murder happened between them that person would be mentioned at some point of the investigation, don't you think? xD What I'm criticising is not that characters like Phoenix or Trucy never mention Menyo, I'm criticising that neither of the Gramaryes talk about him at any point. I haven't played Spirit of Justice so I don't know if at some point they explain WHY the Gramaryes never mention Menyo (maybe they hated him, maybe he faked his death or went to live to Europe so they never considered him relevant to Magnifi's death, I dunno), but what I've read about him so far doesn't give any explanation.

The miracle finally happen...

Reglare wrote:

Good lord they actually gave the baby the spikes as if we wouldn't realise it's Apollo without them, that's genuinely hilarious

Beauty and grace.

I can't wait to actually play the game and understand what the HELL these retcons are (I'm trying to avoid spoilers otherwise lol).

Zekrom025 wrote:
Reglare wrote:

Good lord they actually gave the baby the spikes as if we wouldn't realise it's Apollo without them, that's genuinely hilarious

That's odd, if you think that Apollo once said that he uses hair gel to make his peculiar antennae. (this was also confirmed by character designer Kazuya Nuri).

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Gardevoir lover

That's just another retcon to add to the growing pile. XD

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

I'm anticipating the western release as well, so I can find out what these retcons are. I hope it's like AJAA where everyone goes "OMG this game has PLOT HOLES, this sucks!" and then I don't really care because it doesn't seem as bad to me :P

Wotter boy

Proyectil wrote:
Spoiler:
Sorry, but it's not the same case. In the first game they never talked about Mia and Maya's family, except that their mother was a spirit medium, she disappeared after some case and their father is dead. In the second game they introduce Morgan and Pearl, creating a background never given (Kurain Village, the branches, all that stuff). If they introduce a third sister, it would change a background already given (there were two sisters, one was older but weaker so the title went to the younger one, blah blah), but the second game and Morgan's first appearance doesn't change anything. For example, Dahlia and Iris's sudden apparition in the third game DOES change something already explained (Morgan only had one daughter up until that point), but they did explain why we never learned anything about the twins until the third game: Morgan's husband left her and he took their two daughters with him. That's a pretty valid reason to justify why Morgan never talks about them.

And no, I wouldn't know about that person, but the other developers would, and if some murder happened between them that person would be mentioned at some point of the investigation, don't you think? xD What I'm criticising is not that characters like Phoenix or Trucy never mention Menyo, I'm criticising that neither of the Gramaryes talk about him at any point. I haven't played Spirit of Justice so I don't know if at some point they explain WHY the Gramaryes never mention Menyo (maybe they hated him, maybe he faked his death or went to live to Europe so they never considered him relevant to Magnifi's death, I dunno), but what I've read about him so far doesn't give any explanation.

Spoiler:
Perhaps it's a "doesn't really matter until you ask" situation. Since, compared to Zak and Valant, Menyo was a "failure" of a magician, so they would have no reason to talk about him. And considering WHO Magnfi is, he would want his students to be THE BEST, and he would go to great lengths to hide undesirable things, just like he did with Thalassa.
Suspect-wise by the time of Phoenix's last case, he was already gone from the Troupe for a while now, it's not that far of a stretch that the police wouldn't consider him a suspect. This IS Ace Attorney, and the police aren't exactly the best, and, if he had an airtight alibi.. then there would be no reason for him to need to be there.

迷探偵

For those interested, I posted a review on my blog on the game. It's spoiler-free (as in: I mention nothing not mentioned in the marketing campaign). Do note that I write about mystery fiction on my blog, so that's what I focus on.

Ash wrote:
For those interested, I posted a review on my blog on the game. It's spoiler-free (as in: I mention nothing not mentioned in the marketing campaign). Do note that I write about mystery fiction on my blog, so that's what I focus on.

Thanks a bunch for the review. As always it was a good read. :athena:

Based on this I really have the feeling I will ike the game very much, even though it's apparently pretty divisive. But I usually like the cases the best that heavily involve the main cast, so I think I will be fine here.

Nice, I read the whole thing! :maya:

It's definitely going to be interesting to see just how divisive the game gets once all fans, japanese and western, have played it. I also feel the notion that this feels more akin to DGS or PLvPWAA in tone is something I've felt about the game since it was announced. Perhpas that's just going to be the era of Ace Attorney we're going to see from now on until one of the games make another daring move (maybe AAI3 or something completely original).

And yes, we definitely do need more writers and game designers who wants to make mystery stories in the interactive medium of video games. I really wish there were more top-tier games in the industry that are as mechanically interesting in terms of mystery-solving as Ace Attorney has been.

Beauty and grace.

A helpful review! I'm sure I'll like this game, as I have liked all the other ones.

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
And yes, we definitely do need more writers and game designers who wants to make mystery stories in the interactive medium of video games. I really wish there were more top-tier games in the industry that are as mechanically interesting in terms of mystery-solving as Ace Attorney has been.

Well, you can just steal Ace Attorney's mechanics if you want~ (You can't copyright gameplay mechanics or game ideas, after all.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Yabba Dabba Doo

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Well, you can just steal Ace Attorney's mechanics if you want~ (You can't copyright gameplay mechanics or game ideas, after all.)

I remember there being a game on Steam that was pretty much Ace Attorney, although I don't remember the title.

Deception&&contradiction

Regeria Hope?

Wasn't Aviary Attorney also a slight ripoff? (Haven't played it)

I didn't actually know that mechanics aren't copyrighted. In fact, I know one case where it is; EA has copyright on the Dialogue Wheel, designed by Drew Karpyshyn, Casey Hudson and other members of the original team that created the first Mass Effect and the Wheel has been used in plenty of EA games ever since, like Dragon Age (also Bioware, technically) and Kingdoms of Amalur.

But of course that's design and not a mechanic, but I bet if Capcom wanted they could copyright the Mood Matrix design (even if that's hokey since the mechanic is basically just an alternative form of the "Press" mechanic). I think perhaps Ace Attorney's mechanics aren't as copyright-able considering they are so dependant on textboxes that are used in a wide array of video games in general.

Here's a link about patented mechanics I found:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/patent ... 0-6369027/

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

linkenski wrote:
Wasn't Aviary Attorney also a slight ripoff? (Haven't played it)

I didn't actually know that mechanics aren't copyrighted. In fact, I know one case where it is; EA has copyright on the Dialogue Wheel, designed by Drew Karpyshyn, Casey Hudson and other members of the original team that created the first Mass Effect and the Wheel has been used in plenty of EA games ever since, like Dragon Age (also Bioware, technically) and Kingdoms of Amalur.

But of course that's design and not a mechanic, but I bet if Capcom wanted they could copyright the Mood Matrix design (even if that's hokey since the mechanic is basically just an alternative form of the "Press" mechanic). I think perhaps Ace Attorney's mechanics aren't as copyright-able considering they are so dependant on textboxes that are used in a wide array of video games in general.

Here's a link about patented mechanics I found:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/patent ... 0-6369027/

On the topic, I believe this video is relevant to the patenting and copyrighting of game designs and mechanics.

Nice. I actually think I've seen (at least some of) that video before. Lol it even has an Ace Attorney reference in it :)

Aviary Attorney felt more like a tribute than a ripoff. The creators were clearly fans and there's even a stepladder argument

They also have a lot of interesting moments that play on your expectations as an AA fan
Spoiler: Aviary Case 1
you get your client declared not guilty by indicting a witness as the murderer. At the end your client admits that she actually was the killer and framed the witness

Also has multiple endings and it's possible to not have all the evidence you need before a trial. Unfortunately it's a hard recommendation because of how short it is, but I had fun

迷探偵

To expand a little bit on my review: I think AA6 was a great mystery game, but a strange main entry, and JapaneseGIRL managed to help me summarize my thoughts in one very simple example: Case 4 is the most 'usual business Ace Attorney case' of the whole game, but it feels completely out of place because the rest of the game isn't usual business.

Wotter boy

Ash wrote:
To expand a little bit on my review: I think AA6 was a great mystery game, but a strange main entry, and JapaneseGIRL managed to help me summarize my thoughts in one very simple example: Case 4 is the most 'usual business Ace Attorney case' of the whole game, but it feels completely out of place because the rest of the game isn't usual business.

I honestly REALLY like Cases 2 and 4 though, I really don't know why, but I really do.

They really should just have patched in at least 2 extra to be continued moments in the second case and it would've felt natural. Still not sure what I think of the structure of the case. I think I'll miss investigating after the trial has been running for a while, but at least they're messing with the formula.

迷探偵

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
I honestly REALLY like Cases 2 and 4 though, I really don't know why, but I really do.

I like them a lot too, actually. In general, I think 6 has great episodes, except for case 1, which is a bit meh. But in general, I tend to look at the games specifically as mystery games (and I don't buy in the 'filler case' idea), so I'm usually happy if there's a mystery plot with an alluring situation and a captivating road to the end of the case (in terms of mystery plot). Case 2 is a fairly traditional mystery story in that respect, while case 4 is 'classic' Ace Attorney material with an interesting setting.
Page 2 of 3 [ 90 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)