Court Records
http://forums.court-records.net/

GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=32010
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Ash [ Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:04 pm ]
Post subject:  GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

A quick list of the name puns & origins. Didn't figure out all of them though, so do comment if you have an idea where the names come from. The list is probably in order of chapter appearance (by which I mean: this is by memory, so some recurring characters might be grouped in the wrong episode).

Spoiler: Episode 1
ボクト・ツアーニ / Bokuto Tsuāni: Comes from the phrase boku to tsua ni (僕とツアーに), ‘on a tour with me’.
ミタマル / Mitamaru: Comes from mitama (御霊), ‘sacred spirit’ + the suffix maru (丸), often given to young (male) children.
ミーマ・ワルヒト / Mīma Waruhito: Comes from mimawaru hito (見回る人), ‘patrolling person’. Waruhito also comes from warubito (悪人), ‘bad person’.
ポットディーノ・ニカワス / Potdīno Nikawas: comes from pottode (ぽっと出), ‘suddenly from the sticks/out of nowhere’ and niwaka (にわか), ‘suddenly’. (Source for explanation name)
レイファ・パドマ・クライン / Reifa Padma Kurain: Rei comes from rei, 'spirit' (Source).Reifa might come from an alternate reading of the reibana (霊花), itself an alternate name for the higanbana (彼岸花), also known as the Lycoris radiata, a flower said to be growing in Buddhist Hell. (hana/bana is read hua/fa in Chinese). Padma means ‘lotus’ in Sanskrit (Source).
バアヤ / Bāya: Not a name, but a title meaning ‘granny’.
ジーイン寺院 / Jī’in Temple: Comes from ji’in (寺院), ‘temple’. It’s a repeating name ( Jī’in ji’in).


Spoiler: Episode 2
ナユタ・サードマディ / Nayuta Sādmadi: Nayuta (那由他) comes from a Sanskrit word meaning ‘myriad’ and also denotes a number in cultures where they use Chinese characters. That number can be 10^60 or 10^72, depending on the person asked. Nayuta is the name of someone Yamazaki knew from university. It was originally a placeholder name, but Eshiro liked it so much he didn't allow Yamazaki to change it. Sadmadi comes the Japanese saying: hotoke no kao mo sando made ('even the Buddha will get angry if you brush his face thrice') (Source). Also from the Sanskrit Samadhi, which refers to a state of meditative consciousness
菜々野美々 / Nanano Mimi: If you flip the kanji na (菜) and no (野) around, you get yasai (野菜), ‘vegetable’. Mimi (耳) also means ears. (Source)
菜々野輝々 / Nanano Kiki: probably named after her sister. ?? Kikimimi (聞き耳) means ‘ears poised for listening’.
志乃山金成 / Shinoyama Kanenari: Following the customs in Japanese TV production crew lingo, you need to flip the names around. Shinoyama becomes yamashino (山師の). Kanenari (金成) turns into narikin (成金). Together, yamashi no narikin (山師の成金) means ‘a swindling/cheating nouveau riche’. (Source)
Mr. メンヨー / Mr. Menyo: Menyō (面妖) means ‘strange’, ‘suspicious’.
伏木直人 / Fushigi Naohito: From fushigi na hito (不思議な人), ‘strange person’.
Trompe Theater: From Trompe-l'œil.
ニドミテレビ / Nidomi TV: from nidomi (二度見), ‘look twice’.


Spoiler: Episode 3
オガム・マイニーチェ / Ogam Mainīche: from the verb ogamu (拝む), ‘to worship’, and mainichi (毎日), ‘everyday’.
フォン・ミョウ / Fon Myō: From honmyō (本名), ‘real name’.
マルメル・アータム / Marumer Atām: from marumeru (丸める), ‘make bald/cut all hair away’ and atama (頭), ‘head’.
サーラ・アータム / Sāra Atām: from sarasara (さらさら), ‘flowy’, silky’. (I.e. ‘silky hair’).
ナナシーノ・ゴンビェ(仮)/ Nanashīno Gonbe (Tent.): from nanashi no gonbei (名無しの権兵衛), ‘John Doe’.
ダッツ・ディニゲル / Dats Dinigel: From datto de nigeru (脱兎で逃げる), ‘fleeing as fast as I can’. (datto (脱兎) means ‘flee like a rabbit’, nigeru is the verb ‘to flee’.
インガ・カルクール・クライン Inga Calcul Kurain: Inga (因果) means ‘karma’ (or ‘cause and effect’).karakuru (からくる) means 'to manipulate' (Source).
トリサマン / Torisaman: from tori (鳥), 'bird' and Tonosoman (the Japanese name of The Steel Samurai). Tonosaman in turn comes from tono-sama (殿様), 'lord' and the English 'man'.


Spoiler: Episode 4
内舘すする / Uchidate Susuru: Comes from uchitate (打ち立て), ‘freshly kneaded’ and the verb susuru (すする), ‘slurp’.
旋風亭獏風 / Senpūtei Bakufū: Senpū (旋風) means ‘hurricane’. Bakufū means ‘blast’ (like a ‘blast [of wind] from an explosion’). Tei is often seen as part of rakugo performer titles. (for example, Shōfukutei Tsurube).
旋風亭美風 / Senpūtei Bifū: Bifū (written as 微風) means ‘breeze’. His other personalities are named after characters in rakugo. The oiran Kisegawa (喜瀬川) comes from Omitate (お見立て) while taikomochi Ippachi (一八) and the boy Sadakichi (定吉) appear in many stories.
旋風亭風子 / Senpūtei Pūko: Fū (Pū) is the on-yomi of the character meaning ‘wind’.
来来亭 / Kurukurutei: Means ‘Come Come Place’. Shares its name (not the pronouncation) with a real ramen restaurant chain, but I’m going to guess that’s a coincidence.


Spoiler: Episode 5
佐奈樹文明 / Sanagi Fumiaki: Sanagi (蛹) means ‘pupa’. The characters for Fumiaki can also be read as bunmei (文明), ‘civilization’.
佐奈樹ヒルネリア (佐奈樹軍曹) / Sanagi Philnelia (Sergeant Sanagi): ? From hirune (昼寝), ‘afternoon nap’??
清木政治 / Kiyoki Masaharu: Kiyoki (清き) means ‘proper’, ‘clean’. The name Masaharu can also be read as seiji (政治), ‘politics’.
ドゥルク・サードマディ Druk Sādmadi: ?? From Druk, the Bhutanese Thunder Dragon??? (See NinjAngel's post)
アマラ・シガタール・クライン / Amala Sigatāl Kurain: Amala (阿摩羅) is a number (10^-23), and is also a term in Buddhism (Amalavijñāna). Amara also means 'immortal' in Sanskrit (see Yash K. Productions's post) ?? Sigatal (シガタール) might come from shi kataru (死、語る), 'Death speaks', and altenatively, shi wo kataru (死を騙る), 'faking a death' ??
ガラン・シガタール・クライン / Garan Sigatāl Kurain: Garan (伽藍) is a Buddhist temple (see also here).
王泥喜奏介 / Odoroki Sōsuke: practically the same name as his son, with (奏) meaning ‘play (music)’.

Spoiler: Special Episode
大津部雫 / Ōtsubu Shizuku: Ōtsubu (大粒) means 'a large [unit of something small]', for example, 'a large tear'. Shizuku (雫) means 'a drop'.
八久留間来人 / Haguruma Raito: Haguruma (歯車) means 'gear'. The name 'Raito' comes from the Wright Brothers.
米倉静次 / Yonekura Seiji: The family name comes from nekura (根暗), 'gloomy', 'dark'. ?? Seiji ?? From the fact 'politics' (政治) made him a scapegoat??
十文字一治 / Jūmonji Kazuharu: Jūmonji (十文字) literally means 'the character for ten (十)', or simply said: 'cross'. The kazu (一) in his given name means 'one', while the character for haru (治) means 'heal'.
八久留間ひかり / Haguruma Hikari: From her brother's name: Raito -> Light, which is hikari (光) in Japanese).

Author:  NinjAngel [ Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Spoiler: Episode 5
It's possible that "Durk" is actually "Druk", in reference to the Bhutanese Thunder Dragon

Author:  Ash [ Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Ah, good one. I had a suspicion it would have something to do with dragons.

Author:  Yash K. Productions [ Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Spoiler: Case 5
Amara is also a Sanskrit name meaning "immortal", because she survived two attempts on her life.

Author:  Ash [ Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

In one of the moments where you suddenly realize you shouldn't think too much about these names and just read them like they are:

Spoiler: Episode 5
The middle name of Amara and Garan, Shigatal (シガタール), might come from shi kataru (死、語る), 'Death speaks'. and/or altenatively, shi wo kataru (死を騙る), 'faking a death' ??)

Author:  Ash [ Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

I added the names for the characters of the Special Episode in the first post.

Author:  Ash [ Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Oh, as I did this mostly from my head, it's fairly likely I'll have forgotten some names (place names / non-character names) that have a pun/special name origin. If you noticed I missed one, don't hesitate to mention them!

Author:  Yash K. Productions [ Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Mitamaru - a portmanteau of "mitama" and the affectionate suffix "-maru".

EDIT: Whoops! I wrote "anagram" instead of "portmanteau"!

Author:  Ash [ Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Ah, I see I forgot to explain the suffix -maru there (happens when you make such lists in random order). A note of mine though: the suffix -maru has no special affectionate undertones (it is definitely not something like the -chan honorific). It is simply a commonly used suffix for younger (male) children and names of ships, similar to Odoroki's -suke.

And super-trivia time because this is a topic that interests me: The most common theory is that -maru is a variation of the older -maro suffix, which has the meaning of 'I' (1st person sing), but the base meaning is 'excrement'; they use to believe that by calling their children 'shit', evil spirits would stay away from the children because they obviously thought that was icky and stuff. In ancient~pre-modern Japan, people usually got different names depending on the stage of life you were in, so they weren't being called shit all their (short) lives.

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Eventually I'll plug this info into the wiki.

Author:  Ash [ Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Sure. Sourcing would be very appreciated, also for the other people who contributed to the list.

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

By the by...
Bakufuu's name means blast, like an explosion.
It just so happens the trial that takes place after his murder is Courtroom No. 4... which was bombed.

Author:  McNarrow [ Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Spoiler: Episode 2
The family name of Bonny and Betty de Famme, may come from "Deux femmes" which mean two women in French, a hint to the fact they are twins.

Author:  Pierre [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

McNarrow wrote:
Spoiler: Episode 2
The family name of Bonny and Betty de Famme, may come from "Deux femmes" which mean two women in French, a hint to the fact they are twins.



Nah its De Famme.....defame: to damage the good reputation of someone.

The hell is Pierce Nichody's pun?

Author:  Yash K. Productions [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

How the HELL do people not get this already?! It's "persnickety"!

Author:  Pierre [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Yash K. Productions wrote:
How the HELL do people not get this already?! It's "persnickety"!


Because its pronounced nothing like that?

Maybe if his first name was Percy but Pierce sounds totally different.

I could argue its "Pierce Nichody" as in "Pierce the body" as a hint to his original profession.

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Pierre wrote:
Yash K. Productions wrote:
How the HELL do people not get this already?! It's "persnickety"!


Because its pronounced nothing like that?

Maybe if his first name was Percy but Pierce sounds totally different.

I could argue its "Pierce Nichody" as in "Pierce the body" as a hint to his original profession.

I don't really hear the "the" part when I read out his name, though. I can't really think of any other possible puns as of now, though.

Author:  SuperAj3 [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

I thought the word was "pernickety" but yeah I got the pun in his name.

EDIT: "persnickety" is the American version XD Who would've thought? (Rolls off the tongue better XD)

Author:  Going for Miles [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Yash K. Productions wrote:
How the HELL do people not get this already?! It's "persnickety"!


Why so condescending? I didn't get it, mainly because "persnickety" isn't a word I've heard a lot. (On the other hand it took me way too long to catch "Luke Atmey" too)

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

tbh, when I guessed the pun for persnickety (I think I was the first to guess it), I didn't realise how it was related to Pierce because i didn't know what it meant
Spoiler:
When I learned it meant being fussy or overly-precise, it was then I realised it was a reference to how surgeons need to be fussy and overly-precise

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

To be honest, I don't get how anyone figured out the pun. I can definitely hear the "-nickety" part and maybe the "s" before it but I don't hear the "per" part. "Pier", in Pierce, sounds nothing "per". The "i" makes a huge difference here. This means the way the name is pronounced is, "Pier-suh Nick-o-dee". However, the pun requires the "i" in Pierce to be taken out just so I can hear the pun. Someone explain this all to me. :butz:

Author:  Pierre [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Apollo4Justice wrote:
To be honest, I don't get how anyone figured out the pun. I can definitely hear the "-nickety" part and maybe the "s" before it but I don't hear the "per" part. "Pier", in Pierce, sounds nothing "per". The "i" makes a huge difference here. This means the way the name is pronounced is, "Pier-suh Nick-o-dee". However, the pun requires the "i" in Pierce to be taken out just so I can hear the pun. Someone explain this all to me. :butz:

This is basically my issue.

Also for me the word is "Pernickety" without any "s" sound before the "Nickety"

I'd also still argue that "Percy" would work better than "Pierce" because as mentioned the "i" makes a huge difference.

Author:  Kyarorain [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

I pronounced Nichody more like nee-KOH-dee, so, yeah, the persnickety pun certainly wasn't obvious to me.

Author:  Jean Descole [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

I didn't get Pierce's pun either at first. Or even all the times I spoke it aloud with different pronunciations, trying to see if something fit. It's entirely possible for people to not get it unless told (like me).

Author:  Southern Corn [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

I didn't get 'Pahpul Boljhing' myself,because I had no idea that the j was German.

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Apollo4Justice wrote:
To be honest, I don't get how anyone figured out the pun. I can definitely hear the "-nickety" part and maybe the "s" before it but I don't hear the "per" part. "Pier", in Pierce, sounds nothing "per". The "i" makes a huge difference here. This means the way the name is pronounced is, "Pier-suh Nick-o-dee". However, the pun requires the "i" in Pierce to be taken out just so I can hear the pun. Someone explain this all to me. :butz:


The name isn't supposed to be pronounced exactly like the word (see Taifu, Uendo and Geiru Toneido), it's more just a reference to it.

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Apollo4Justice wrote:
To be honest, I don't get how anyone figured out the pun. I can definitely hear the "-nickety" part and maybe the "s" before it but I don't hear the "per" part. "Pier", in Pierce, sounds nothing "per". The "i" makes a huge difference here. This means the way the name is pronounced is, "Pier-suh Nick-o-dee". However, the pun requires the "i" in Pierce to be taken out just so I can hear the pun. Someone explain this all to me. :butz:


The name isn't supposed to be pronounced exactly like the word (see Taifu, Uendo and Geiru Toneido), it's more just a reference to it.

There's a difference between a name being a reference to something and a name that doesn't remotely resemble the pun people claim it to be. Take Taifu, for example. Taifu does indeed resemble the intended pun, "Typhoon". That's because the lettering indicates as such. However, let's look at Pierce again. It can't be the "per" in "persnickety" because it doesn't remotely sound like it, not even a little. Le's look at the pronounciations of both names side-by-side and wih their intended pun. "Ty-fu", which is half of "Typhoon". "Pier-suh", which is somehow supposed to resemble "per" and "s" in "persnickety". If we're following your logic, "persnickety" should really be spelled "piersnickety" just for the pun to make even the slightest of sense. See what I mean now? :pft:

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Apollo4Justice wrote:
There's a difference between a name being a reference to something and a name that doesn't remotely resemble the pun people claim it to be. Take Taifu, for example. Taifu does indeed resemble the intended pun, "Typhoon". That's because the lettering indicates as such. However, let's look at Pierce again. It can't be the "per" in "persnickety" because it doesn't remotely sound like it, not even a little. Le's look at the pronounciations of both names side-by-side and wih their intended pun. "Ty-fu", which is half of "Typhoon". "Pier-suh", which is somehow supposed to resemble "per" and "s" in "persnickety". If we're following your logic, "persnickety" should really be spelled "piersnickety" just for the pun to make even the slightest of sense. See what I mean now? :pft:


It'd be easier to believe something like that if we didn't already HAVE name puns that don't sound like what they're supposed to be referencing.
Like Damian Tenma being a reference to Demon (which is referenced by his Japanese name), Sasha Buckler (while a reference to the word "swashbuckler", the first name, like Pierce's, sounds nothing like the word it's supposed to be referencing, or Norma DePlume (which is a reference "nom de plume", again Norma sounds nothing like nom).

Although I do see what you mean in that his name pun is a lot less obvious than others we've seen.

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Apollo4Justice wrote:
There's a difference between a name being a reference to something and a name that doesn't remotely resemble the pun people claim it to be. Take Taifu, for example. Taifu does indeed resemble the intended pun, "Typhoon". That's because the lettering indicates as such. However, let's look at Pierce again. It can't be the "per" in "persnickety" because it doesn't remotely sound like it, not even a little. Le's look at the pronounciations of both names side-by-side and wih their intended pun. "Ty-fu", which is half of "Typhoon". "Pier-suh", which is somehow supposed to resemble "per" and "s" in "persnickety". If we're following your logic, "persnickety" should really be spelled "piersnickety" just for the pun to make even the slightest of sense. See what I mean now? :pft:


It'd be easier to believe something like that if we didn't already HAVE name puns that don't sound like what they're supposed to be referencing.
Like Damian Tenma being a reference to Demon (which is referenced by his Japanese name), Sasha Buckler (while a reference to the word "swashbuckler", the first name, like Pierce's, sounds nothing like the word it's supposed to be referencing, or Norma DePlume (which is a reference "nom de plume", again Norma sounds nothing like nom).

Although I do see what you mean in that his name pun is a lot less obvious than others we've seen.

The difference between those examples and Pierce, however, is that Damian, Sasha, and Norma all get the general sound of the pun. Damian does sound like "demon" when said quickly and Sasha's name does the same thing. Now, you might be thinking Norma is the odd one out, that she's the same as Pierce. However, in all actuality, Norma achieves her pun in a way Pierce can't. An alternative way of pronouncing the name. You might also be thinking this can't happen however, it has before, in 2012-ish. Specifically, the "norm" has an alternative way to say it. Let's take a look back at Heavy Rain, specifically Norman Jayden. Now, does anyone remember how the character himself pronounced it? That's right, he said it like "Nahm-an"! :takethat: And how do you say "nom" in "nom de plume"? You say it like "nahm". Therefore, you can still see the pun through pronunciation alone, which leaves you, Mr. Fenrir, with no case! :object:

Author:  Pierre [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Apollo4Justice wrote:
There's a difference between a name being a reference to something and a name that doesn't remotely resemble the pun people claim it to be. Take Taifu, for example. Taifu does indeed resemble the intended pun, "Typhoon". That's because the lettering indicates as such. However, let's look at Pierce again. It can't be the "per" in "persnickety" because it doesn't remotely sound like it, not even a little. Le's look at the pronounciations of both names side-by-side and wih their intended pun. "Ty-fu", which is half of "Typhoon". "Pier-suh", which is somehow supposed to resemble "per" and "s" in "persnickety". If we're following your logic, "persnickety" should really be spelled "piersnickety" just for the pun to make even the slightest of sense. See what I mean now? :pft:


It'd be easier to believe something like that if we didn't already HAVE name puns that don't sound like what they're supposed to be referencing.
Like Damian Tenma being a reference to Demon (which is referenced by his Japanese name), Sasha Buckler (while a reference to the word "swashbuckler", the first name, like Pierce's, sounds nothing like the word it's supposed to be referencing, or Norma DePlume (which is a reference "nom de plume", again Norma sounds nothing like nom).

Although I do see what you mean in that his name pun is a lot less obvious than others we've seen.



I would also argue "Nichody" is not much like "nickety".

Author:  Nurio [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

I don't know how you pronounce Pierce Nichody or persnickety, but those two are way closer than any of the other examples Fenrir gave.
I mean, Pierce is as close to "pers" as Luke is to Look.

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Nurio wrote:
I don't know how you pronounce Pierce Nichody or persnickety, but those two are way closer than any of the other examples Fenrir gave.
I mean, Pierce is as close to "pers" as Luke is to Look.

Luke sounds like you're extending the two "o" letters in "look", though. In fact, I hear some people daily say it like that. However, "Pier-suh" doesn't remotely sound like "per-suh". The "i" makes a huge difference in the pronounciation. Sure, Nichody resembles "nickety" somewhat, but if Pierce doesn't resemble the rest of it, then the pun would just be "nickety", which makes no sense either.

Author:  Nurio [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Not sure what you mean by extending the two "o" letters... Since "oo" is already extended.
But anyway, this is really going in circles. Like I said, it's just a difference in how we pronounce things, I suppose.

But we can actually ask the guys behind the localization what the pun behind the name is. That's the only way to have clarification here

Author:  Pierre [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Nurio wrote:
Not sure what you mean by extending the two "o" letters... Since "oo" is already extended.
But anyway, this is really going in circles. Like I said, it's just a difference in how we pronounce things, I suppose.

But we can actually ask the guys behind the localization what the pun behind the name is. That's the only way to have clarification here


Pierce sounds like Peers or Piers: Piers Nick Odd Ey is how his name sounds in my head.

The sound they need for the pun to work is more akin to Perce hence I feel Percy would have been a better substitute.

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Nurio wrote:
Not sure what you mean by extending the two "o" letters... Since "oo" is already extended.
But anyway, this is really going in circles. Like I said, it's just a difference in how we pronounce things, I suppose.

But we can actually ask the guys behind the localization what the pun behind the name is. That's the only way to have clarification here

About the "o" extension, let me put it this way. The way one pronounces look normally is "luh-kuh" or something close to it. However, Luke is pronounced "loo-kuh" or something similar again. Does that make more sense now? :think-pw: The "luh" is quicker than "loo".

Author:  Apollo4Justice [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

The closest thing I can think of with the current spelling at least, although it's flimsy, is "Pierce Nick Oh Dee", which can be changed to "Pierce Nick Oh Dey", which I'll explain. "Oh dee", if you say it quickly enough, can sound similar to Edgey, which is Edgeworth's nickname. Ignoring the pronounciation spelling I used prior, it would now be something like "Pierce Nick Edgey". This would be a reference to when
Spoiler: DLC
Pierce does those X-rays on only Phoenix and Edgeworth. He's "piercing" "Nick" and "Edgey" with x-rays.
Like I said, it's flimsy but it's an idea I had in my head for a while.

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

The main point I'm trying to say is... the pun for the name is just lifted from the original word, but the pun doesn't HAVE to sound exactly the same as the original word, as it sounds close enough that at least SOMEONE will get the pun.

lol I can't believe we're debating puns, it really is srs business...

Author:  Pierre [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
The main point I'm trying to say is... the pun for the name is just lifted from the original word, but the pun doesn't HAVE to sound exactly the same as the original word, as it sounds close enough that at least SOMEONE will get the pun.

lol I can't believe we're debating puns, it really is srs business...



It's all fun and games until someone talks to you like you are an idiot for not hearing a pun of a word that's not that obvious in the first place.

Author:  FenrirDarkWolf [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

Pierre wrote:
FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
The main point I'm trying to say is... the pun for the name is just lifted from the original word, but the pun doesn't HAVE to sound exactly the same as the original word, as it sounds close enough that at least SOMEONE will get the pun.

lol I can't believe we're debating puns, it really is srs business...



It's all fun and games until someone talks to you like you are an idiot for not hearing a pun of a word that's not that obvious in the first place.


Ah..
Well, I do apologise, if I came off harsh to you guys. It wasn't my intention.

Author:  Pierre [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GS6 names (puns, origins) (spoilers)

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Pierre wrote:
FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
The main point I'm trying to say is... the pun for the name is just lifted from the original word, but the pun doesn't HAVE to sound exactly the same as the original word, as it sounds close enough that at least SOMEONE will get the pun.

lol I can't believe we're debating puns, it really is srs business...



It's all fun and games until someone talks to you like you are an idiot for not hearing a pun of a word that's not that obvious in the first place.


Ah..
Well, I do apologise, if I came off harsh to you guys. It wasn't my intention.


Wasn't you

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/