Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 2 of 7[ 274 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 


Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Breakdown

Gender: None specified

Location: FL

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:37 am

Posts: 132

Went ahead and spoiled this one for myself through a stream recording since I'm not as fussed about the DLC compared to the main game and this Sept wait is still killing me
Spoiler: Ending
Not quite as epic to me as Turnabout Reclaimed but anymore AA is good AA. I'm surprised this had so few witnesses though. I never assumed it to be the blue haired guy, and we all know it'd never be Larry so, barring a JFA style ITSTHEDEFENDANTOMGISH twist, the surgeon guy was so obvious from his introduction (unless story details paint a better red herring/twist because I don't speak JP). Awesome animations on him though, and I loved the bride's animations too.

Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yabba Dabba Doo

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding from responsibility

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am

Posts: 685

Turnabout_Lawman wrote:
Went ahead and spoiled this one for myself through a stream recording since I'm not as fussed about the DLC compared to the main game and this Sept wait is still killing me
Spoiler: Ending
Not quite as epic to me as Turnabout Reclaimed but anymore AA is good AA. I'm surprised this had so few witnesses though. I never assumed it to be the blue haired guy, and we all know it'd never be Larry so, barring a JFA style ITSTHEDEFENDANTOMGISH twist, the surgeon guy was so obvious from his introduction (unless story details paint a better red herring/twist because I don't speak JP). Awesome animations on him though, and I loved the bride's animations too.


Spoiler: End
Maybe they were trying a reverse psychology thing? (In Reclaimed, they made Crab really suspicious despite his innocence, so maybe they're hoping people apply that same thinking to this?) The lack of original characters does disappoint me though.

Image
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

Oh yeah, I can't be the only one that was bothered by this little detail, right?

Spoiler: 6-5
Apollo's jacket still lying over the couch in the office! Even if he didn't take it with him, you'd figure they'd at least put it somewhere else :P

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wotter boy

Gender: Male

Location: Somewhere, Someplace, Possibly Earth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am

Posts: 803

so... what is Larry doing now?
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
so... what is Larry doing now?

Spoiler:
Following his one-hit wonder Mei-chan's Great Whippity Whip Adventure (What was in the localized version again? Franzy's Whippity-Whip Trip?), the great artist Tenryūsai Mashisu (Laurice Deauxnim) has recently released a new picture book, starring his newest character Cupidon. Only Nick has never seen it in the bookstore even once.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wotter boy

Gender: Male

Location: Somewhere, Someplace, Possibly Earth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am

Posts: 803

Ash wrote:
FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
so... what is Larry doing now?

Spoiler:
Following his one-hit wonder Mei-chan's Great Whippity Whip Adventure (What was in the localized version again? Franzy's Whippity-Whip Trip?), the great artist Tenryūsai Mashisu (Laurice Deauxnim) has recently released a new picture book, starring his newest character Cupidon. Only Nick has never seen it in the bookstore even once.


Gotcha.
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Whew, I can finally visit these threads without spoiling myself.

I agree with Ash that this case doesn't trump the last DLC case, but it's still a strong one in its own right. Certainly, Yamazaki & co. played the misdirection card again, and thus it was really obvious which direction the case would lead, but the tipping point to my verdict would probably be the villains themselves.

Spoiler:
Without a doubt, Rimes' tragedy is the greater one. In an attempt to plot revenge against the whale that he believed caused his girlfriend's death, it instead leads to the accidental death of his beloved boss. It's like if Turnabout Big Top was written in a much more fulfilling way.

Not to mention, "The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright" is one of the best testimonies in the entire series. Too bad my love for parrots just tops over it.

That said, the case of the surgeon who failed to rescue his newly wed wife from a car accident is quite heart-throbbing itself (pardon the pun). Honestly, I prefer his gradual buildup of insanity to finally break out in a breakdown to the sudden appearance of Captain Rimes, as amusing as it was. Besides, he may just be the noisiest witness ever to take the stand... with the exception of a certain bard, ugh. But this guy was noisy done right, as it went to show how close to being cornered he had become.

Some fans say the breakdown makes or breaks a villain, but I say it's the buildup to it. The breakdowns are always fun to watch, but the slow but gradual fight through to the end is what seals the deal for me.

Besides, the x-ray shots killed me. I had to take a breather. Nick's hair made of lead and Edgey's cravat made of calcite, confirmed.


I do, however, prefer the ending of this case to that of DD's DLC.
Spoiler:
As trite as happy endings can be, this is one happy ending that I can watch over and over without getting bored. After all the crap Larry puts you through across the years, though I still love him for it all the same, it's so satisfying seeing him run from a mob of angry women. The only one missing was a certain Karma.

Just a bit disappointed that Nick and Edgey didn't bother dressing up in anything other than their usual suits, though. And where did Trucy go?? Well, I'm sure Athena got her just desserts after they returned to the office...


This game was a satisfying $50; completely worth the price. And almost all the DLC was free! Just a measly 150 yen for Sengoku Basara costumes to make the intro to case 5 all the more amazing.

Edit: Thank goodness for ambiguously platonic relationships. The shipping wars will continue forever... except for one that has been confirmed:
Spoiler:
Edgeworth x himself

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

I'll have to wait a good while before I get to see any of this for myself, but just tell me, how good is the reunion for Maya, Nick, (Larry) and Edgey in court on a scale of 1-2 - RftA?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wotter boy

Gender: Male

Location: Somewhere, Someplace, Possibly Earth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am

Posts: 803

Why is Edgeworth even involved anyway? It doesn't seem like a particularly high profile case.
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:

I do, however, prefer the ending of this case to that of DD's DLC.
Spoiler:
As trite as happy endings can be, this is one happy ending that I can watch over and over without getting bored. After all the crap Larry puts you through across the years, though I still love him for it all the same, it's so satisfying seeing him run from a mob of angry women. The only one missing was a certain Karma.

Just a bit disappointed that Nick and Edgey didn't bother dressing up in anything other than their usual suits, though. And where did Trucy go?? Well, I'm sure Athena got her just desserts after they returned to the office...


Edit: Thank goodness for ambiguously platonic relationships. The shipping wars will continue forever... except for one that has been confirmed:
Spoiler:
Edgeworth x himself


Spoiler:
It's sad that the only cameo i can legitimately like is one that gets beat up at the end.


Trucy's not a main character anymore remember? Of course she's not gonna be there.

Thank god there's no shipping in this game, keep that stuff as far away from the series as possible.
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Why is Edgeworth even involved anyway? It doesn't seem like a particularly high profile case.

Spoiler:
It is a high profile case. Too much so. The Hagurumas are applying politically pressure to get the whole business over with as fast as possible. Edgeworth is doing the case himself because he doesn't think anyone else would be able to stand up agains the pressure of the Hagurumas.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

linkenski wrote:
I'll have to wait a good while before I get to see any of this for myself, but just tell me, how good is the reunion for Maya, Nick, (Larry) and Edgey in court on a scale of 1-2 - RftA?

I'm not sure what scale you're using, but I think it's much like T&T's reunion; where the old buddies gather up and get to know what Larry's been up to, only to see he hasn't changed at all - not that it's a bad thing. Things go more smoothly by assuming from the start that he's responsible for some stupidity that becomes key to the case somehow.

The other three don't have much catching up to do, since they last met in case 5, and this case takes place a few months after. And despite being such a high profile case, it's basically business as usual between the three of them.

Ash wrote:
FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Why is Edgeworth even involved anyway? It doesn't seem like a particularly high profile case.

Spoiler:
It is a high profile case. Too much so. The Hagurumas are applying politically pressure to get the whole business over with as fast as possible. Edgeworth is doing the case himself because he doesn't think anyone else would be able to stand up agains the pressure of the Hagurumas.

Spoiler:
He sure seemed rather pleased with himself to mention how he's the one to apply pressure this time.

But we all know it was really the judge laying down the pressure on him and how single he is.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wotter boy

Gender: Male

Location: Somewhere, Someplace, Possibly Earth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am

Posts: 803

Ash wrote:
FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Why is Edgeworth even involved anyway? It doesn't seem like a particularly high profile case.

Spoiler:
It is a high profile case. Too much so. The Hagurumas are applying politically pressure to get the whole business over with as fast as possible. Edgeworth is doing the case himself because he doesn't think anyone else would be able to stand up agains the pressure of the Hagurumas.


Well then.
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

Who even knows?!

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:11 am

Posts: 6

Spoiler:
When the case was first revealed, am I the only one who thought that the scenario this case was about Shizuku travelling back in time when Seiji tried to kill her, into an alternate timeline where she gets killed, and ends up being accused for "killing herself". Makes zero sense, but I was pretty disappointed when Seiji just became the victim in a ironic twist.
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

NesMeister wrote:
Spoiler:
When the case was first revealed, am I the only one who thought that the scenario this case was about Shizuku travelling back in time when Seiji tried to kill her, into an alternate timeline where she gets killed, and ends up being accused for "killing herself". Makes zero sense, but I was pretty disappointed when Seiji just became the victim in a ironic twist.

Spoiler:
I got a lot of Prof. Layton and gearpunk from the intro to this case, but it's as Ace Attorney as ever. As interesting as it'd be to have a Zero-Escape-style AA, they have to keep it real somehow. It's still canon.

But the dang pterodactyl almost pushed my buttons. Almost.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler:
But the dang pterodactyl almost pushed my buttons. Almost.


Spoiler: GK2
What I wonder about is how Yahari could've made that sketch in GK2-3... and then this sketch again.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Ash wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler:
But the dang pterodactyl almost pushed my buttons. Almost.


Spoiler: GK2
What I wonder about is how Yahari could've made that sketch in GK2-3... and then this sketch again.

Spoiler:
For a moment there, I was trying to draw connections between the one with the ladies and this one and became very, very confused. I can only imagine Yahari so often sees crazy things like these that he's made a dedication to the role of being in the wrong place at the right time.

Though, in the latter case, I suppose the map may have been knocked upside-down when that huge gust of wind came along. Say, did we ever get an answer as to why there was so much wind? At first I assumed it was the Flying Chapel taking off a bit too close to it, but we proved it was stationary. Or, was it before the weddings took place?

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Considering that the dev blog and the non-spoiler discussions here on C-R seem to imply that SoJ's ending was set up to
Spoiler: no spoilers, but in case anyone didn't want to read the general amount of resolution the game has
both be open-ended and also be an ending which would work as a series/overall narrative conclusion


How does this case work in regards to the pacing/finality of SoJ's resolution? As in, does going from the finale of SoJ to a stand-alone case feel bizarre or like it lessens the finality of SoJ's ending, or does it work fine? This seems really similar to 1-5 to me, and I know that while it stands on its own and doesn't lessen the actual ending of 1-4 in any way, it definitely doesn't have the same "conclusion" feeling to the characters that 1-4 does, and I would imagine if GS1 had been the only game in the series RFTA would feel a little out of place (of course since RFTA was made after the trilogy it's really hard to imagine this scenario and because I knew of both RFTA and the other GS games when I first played 1, the ending of 1-4 didn't have the same vibe for me that first-time players in 2001 probably had. Based on the dev blog it sounds like they might be experimenting with different stories or even reboots, and even if the series keeps going following Phoenix, Apollo, etc. there's always the chance that SoJ might be the last game localized for the west, so there's always a chance this might be the end.

So in conclusion, if you were to imagine SoJ as being the final game (or at least the final game with these characters and the GS1-6 narrative progression), would you say that the DLC case takes away from the finality of the ending or does it enhance or not really affect that sense of conclusion? Please no spoilers as I know nothing about the ending or the DLC case. Thanks!
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yabba Dabba Doo

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding from responsibility

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am

Posts: 685

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Considering that the dev blog and the non-spoiler discussions here on C-R seem to imply that SoJ's ending was set up to
Spoiler: no spoilers, but in case anyone didn't want to read the general amount of resolution the game has
both be open-ended and also be an ending which would work as a series/overall narrative conclusion


How does this case work in regards to the pacing/finality of SoJ's resolution? As in, does going from the finale of SoJ to a stand-alone case feel bizarre or like it lessens the finality of SoJ's ending, or does it work fine? This seems really similar to 1-5 to me, and I know that while it stands on its own and doesn't lessen the actual ending of 1-4 in any way, it definitely doesn't have the same "conclusion" feeling to the characters that 1-4 does, and I would imagine if GS1 had been the only game in the series RFTA would feel a little out of place (of course since RFTA was made after the trilogy it's really hard to imagine this scenario and because I knew of both RFTA and the other GS games when I first played 1, the ending of 1-4 didn't have the same vibe for me that first-time players in 2001 probably had. Based on the dev blog it sounds like they might be experimenting with different stories or even reboots, and even if the series keeps going following Phoenix, Apollo, etc. there's always the chance that SoJ might be the last game localized for the west, so there's always a chance this might be the end.

So in conclusion, if you were to imagine SoJ as being the final game (or at least the final game with these characters and the GS1-6 narrative progression), would you say that the DLC case takes away from the finality of the ending or does it enhance or not really affect that sense of conclusion? Please no spoilers as I know nothing about the ending or the DLC case. Thanks!


I don't know too much about the dialogue and details of the DLC case, but with my limited knowledge of it I don't think it takes away from the ending at all.
Image
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Considering that the dev blog and the non-spoiler discussions here on C-R seem to imply that SoJ's ending was set up to
Spoiler: no spoilers, but in case anyone didn't want to read the general amount of resolution the game has
both be open-ended and also be an ending which would work as a series/overall narrative conclusion


How does this case work in regards to the pacing/finality of SoJ's resolution? As in, does going from the finale of SoJ to a stand-alone case feel bizarre or like it lessens the finality of SoJ's ending, or does it work fine? This seems really similar to 1-5 to me, and I know that while it stands on its own and doesn't lessen the actual ending of 1-4 in any way, it definitely doesn't have the same "conclusion" feeling to the characters that 1-4 does, and I would imagine if GS1 had been the only game in the series RFTA would feel a little out of place (of course since RFTA was made after the trilogy it's really hard to imagine this scenario and because I knew of both RFTA and the other GS games when I first played 1, the ending of 1-4 didn't have the same vibe for me that first-time players in 2001 probably had. Based on the dev blog it sounds like they might be experimenting with different stories or even reboots, and even if the series keeps going following Phoenix, Apollo, etc. there's always the chance that SoJ might be the last game localized for the west, so there's always a chance this might be the end.

So in conclusion, if you were to imagine SoJ as being the final game (or at least the final game with these characters and the GS1-6 narrative progression), would you say that the DLC case takes away from the finality of the ending or does it enhance or not really affect that sense of conclusion? Please no spoilers as I know nothing about the ending or the DLC case. Thanks!

The DLC case is completely separated from the rest of the story, so one could technically play it without knowing anything about the other cases. (There is one character whose absence would raise a question, but it's not important to the progression of the case itself.) It's as with DD that the DLC case is open once the first case is completed.

As for finality, it feels much more like the post-denouement of the story, rather than any particular finale of its own. I can see the similarities in terms of placement as with 1-5, but without the need to retcon anything. Imo, I prefer this case to 1-5 because it's not trying to force any in-media-res development with any characters as if to line up with later titles. Regardless, if it were to round out the series for good (at least in the West), 6-5 would still feel like the open-ended finale, while 6-DLC is kinda like bonus fluff for those extra good feels.

But, I suppose one could insist that the DLC can be treated as the denouement in a way that it concludes the intense drama that precedes it with a back-to-usual atmosphere and very little pressure (in effect, that is; there would be if not for Edgeworth) being applied to either side of court.

My hopes and prayers that this game meets (or rather, blows away) sales expectations so it won't be the last AA game in the West. I've got a pretty good feeling about its success, though.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Please excuse the double post.

I was going back through this case in the beginning.
Spoiler:
Just when Edgeworth arrives, but before we proceed to talk with him, I went ahead and presented everything in my Court Record, as per tradition, and two of his responses caught my eye.

The first one was from presenting him Shizuku's pendant. He seems to know immediately that it's hers, even before either man had said anything about her. It'd come as no surprise later during the second day of investigations, since they'd all have seen the defendant wearing it, but it seems a little unexpected this early in this case. I figure it must be that he must have seen her wearing it during interrogations, though it does make me wonder if it's usually the detective or the prosecutor in charge of the case who questions suspects.

The second one is just a little trivia, but it was odd hearing Edgeworth describe the Flying Chapel ride as "romantic". It seems even he's become a bit more attuned to social smarts over the years, how sweet. And then, Phoenix asked him if he planned to get married some time. Nope. Likewise with Phoenix. Hahaha, there goes the shipping crowd.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6930

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler:
And then, Phoenix asked him if he planned to get married some time. Nope. Likewise with Phoenix.

Spoiler:
Well, that's only because same-sex marriage isn't legally recognized in Japan :hoboleft:

Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Bad Player wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler:
And then, Phoenix asked him if he planned to get married some time. Nope. Likewise with Phoenix.

Spoiler:
Well, that's only because same-sex marriage isn't legally recognized in Japan :hoboleft:

Spoiler:
How unfortunate. Perhaps they should move to Shibuya and register for a same-sex partnership certificate revolutionize the legal system here too so they can finally realize Maya's fantasies.

The devs are concerned about the future of the series? I just introduced a workable solution. Make Maya the ultimate mastermind of a game this time.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
My hopes and prayers that this game meets (or rather, blows away) sales expectations so it won't be the last AA game in the West. I've got a pretty good feeling about its success, though.

Hmm, I've been kind of skeptical about this, though I agree. The amount of board activity and fan hype in the west leading up to this release seems toned down a tad compared to DD and similarly the marketing campaign for the west has also been more in the background this time, even though we might soon get the prologue anime on Youtube and the launch-trailer, but even still they announce the release date late and get the final promo material out in the last second too (I mean, it's already midway through August and it comes out september 8th) and it's not as if 3DS is in its prime anymore. In fact I'm pretty sure 2013 was the year when 3DS was the shit so DD hit a good release window, but I guess the install base is high but I'm not sure if the attach rate is. By now, I simply expect a lot of people have sort of laid their 3DSes to rest.

Which is not to mention how the e-Shop has been pretty dead for a year or two now. I don't think as many people will be as likely to browse the e-Shop and find this game simply because less people use it.

TL;DR I agree and i want SoJ to succeed, but I have low expectations when it comes to sales this time.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

linkenski wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
My hopes and prayers that this game meets (or rather, blows away) sales expectations so it won't be the last AA game in the West. I've got a pretty good feeling about its success, though.

Hmm, I've been kind of skeptical about this, though I agree. The amount of board activity and fan hype in the west leading up to this release seems toned down a tad compared to DD and similarly the marketing campaign for the west has also been more in the background this time, even though we might soon get the prologue anime on Youtube and the launch-trailer, but even still they announce the release date late and get the final promo material out in the last second too (I mean, it's already midway through August and it comes out september 8th) and it's not as if 3DS is in its prime anymore. In fact I'm pretty sure 2013 was the year when 3DS was the shit so DD hit a good release window, but I guess the install base is high but I'm not sure if the attach rate is. By now, I simply expect a lot of people have sort of laid their 3DSes to rest.

Which is not to mention how the e-Shop has been pretty dead for a year or two now. I don't think as many people will be as likely to browse the e-Shop and find this game simply because less people use it.

TL;DR I agree and i want SoJ to succeed, but I have low expectations when it comes to sales this time.


I also worry a little bit about sales, as DD had a lot of hype/coverage because it was the return of the main franchise after so long and this game - while being new and exciting for AA fans - most likely just kind of looks like more of the same to the average gamer. I still think it will sell well - hopefully well enough to get whatever the next AA is over to the west - but I don't think it will beat DD.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

DD seemed like the game everyone wanted from the outside. Phoenix was back, it was the good old courtroom basically, Edgeworth was in the trailers and the overall vibe seemed interesting, plus the graphics were cool. With Khura'in I don't think there's the same broad appeal really. Moreover, I'm not sure anyone asked for it and that's why outside of the fanbase I think it has limited potential in comparison.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

I've started to get a little worried. I looked it up and we got word of 5-S being localized back in July of 2013, 3 months before DD came out. Now, SoJ's news cycle has seemed to be much more focused on the last month or so, while DD's was spread out a lot, so maybe that means we will be hearing about the DLC shortly. But the fact that we haven't heard ANYTHING about the DLC case being localized is starting to make me wonder if it is actually happening.

I also remember hearing that people looked at the code of DD and realized that 5-S was actually meant to be case 3, and that 5-4 and 5-5 were originally both going to be 5-5. With that in mind, it makes sense to me that Capcom might have already been in the process of localizing it when the decision to remove it was being made. If it was already in the process of being worked on (coupled with the high sales estimates of DD likely carrying over to DLC sales forecasts) then it would make sense for them to take the time and spend the money to localize it. They did not, however, localize the quiz DLC, and I've never actually looked at it in detail (was saving it for my replay of DD which I just completed, so I'll take a look soon), but they claimed that it was too focused around Japanese culture to localize. Part of me wonders if it was really impossible from a technical or cultural standpoint to localize or if it would have been too expensive to re-write a lot of the game. The costumes seem to need no real localization, so those were a given.

But this time we haven't heard anything about costumes, the bonus episodes, or the DLC case. I know that DD itself achieved its sales figures, but do we have any info on the DLC case's specific sales? Part of me worries that because it was released a month later than the base game, a good amount of more casual players didn't know about/care about the DLC case and didn't buy it, meaning that it didn't sell nearly as well. If that is the case, it makes me worry that the lack of news is because they made the decision not to localize anything except the base game in order to make sure they don't spend time and money localizing something that might not be profitable (which is completely understandable, but disappointing). The costumes not being announced is especially bizarre to me since they shouldn't really need any localizing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Has Janet Hsu or Capcom hinted at the DLC case being localized at all? Can anyone reassure me this isn't an issue haha :will: ? In all honesty I'd be ok with the costumes and the bonus episodes not coming over, but the DLC case would be extremely disappointing. It doesn't seem as central to the story as 5-S was, but it still is a part of the game.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Generally the western marketing has been kind of slow this time, hasn't it? I don't think the way SoJ has been revealed here in the west has been quite the same as when they showed DD, but maybe I'm just misremembering. Either way, I'm pretty sure they didn't announce the DLC coming to the west until quite late, like, release week or something with DD, so I'm expecting that.

If not, it'll be a shame but honestly what I've gathered so far is that this case is one of, if not the weakest case in the game. Sucks not to have some good old Maya, Nick and Edgeworth (and Larry) but that interplay is something we've seen so many times already that I honestly find it a bit like going through the motions just by looking at the case as well.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

linkenski wrote:
Generally the western marketing has been kind of slow this time, hasn't it? I don't think the way SoJ has been revealed here in the west has been quite the same as when they showed DD, but maybe I'm just misremembering. Either way, I'm pretty sure they didn't announce the DLC coming to the west until quite late, like, release week or something with DD, so I'm expecting that.

If not, it'll be a shame but honestly what I've gathered so far is that this case is one of, if not the weakest case in the game. Sucks not to have some good old Maya, Nick and Edgeworth (and Larry) but that interplay is something we've seen so many times already that I honestly find it a bit like going through the motions just by looking at the case as well.


I think because of the GK2 fiasco (as well as Sven being in charge of info being released to us, at least early in the process) they were a little more open at the time things were developing. The DLC was confirmed to be coming over back in July of 2013, which was before it was even released in Japan. The article even references the fact that fans have been following the Japanese release and are wondering about the DLC, which I thought is interesting because usually the marketing takes the "we have new info!" stance. I think this time the marketing is much more focused on drumming up interest in the game as close to release as possible.

Linkenski, you made some really good points about how the 3DS is winding down a lot, and I think its true. I was at a gamestop earlier today and (while admittedly it was a small, "city" gamestop in a traditional mall rather than the big, strip mall gamestops) the only 3DS presence there were two small rows on the "endcap" of the shelves, which probably held nine games total. There was the little locked case of used games, but I didn't even see a copy of biggish new games like Metroid: Federation Force. A year ago I was in there and there was a full set of shelves for 3DS games. No doubt, as you also pointed out, the eShop likely has less traffic than it once did as well (heck, I actually don't ever open it anymore). My guess is maybe Capcom figures that if they throw all the info about the game in the couple of weeks leading up to the release, people will remember to check the eShop and pick it up. So there may even be a chance that they announce the DLC case after the game is released, but it seems like it would make more sense to announce it beforehand to get the word out there.

Like you said, it doesn't seem like the most important case in the world, and unlike DD it doesn't seem like it is really that important to the plot (5-S brought Phoenix back to court, and made Pearl's appearance in 5-5 not feel so random) and it doesn't seem to really impact the ending in any way from what I've gathered without spoiling myself, so it's not the end of the world but I still really hope it gets localized.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

There are a few questions in the Turnabout Quiz DLC that couldn't be localized because a bit of knowledge of Japanese culture and language was required to answer them. I figure since it was (presumably) non-canon DLC, they thought it wouldn't be necessary to bring it over. You guys aren't missing out on that much, aside from a few funny dialogues with the characters. The puzzles aren't especially difficult either.

There's nothing like this in this case. It shouldn't run into any particular localizing issues as long as the main game sells well.

I actually understand their safe approach to marketing for this game. As a noticeable chunk of the fans has already gotten quite a bit of news on the game from translated Japanese sources, and the more casual side of them can get plenty of news just from hearsay alone, it leaves Capcom US a lot less reason to market as broadly. For one, the fanbase isn't as mainstream as with in Japan. For another, the best and most efficient way to advertise to a niche market is by drawing support from the most dedicated side of the fandom and get free advertising via their enthusiasm. That means, it's better to squeeze most of the attention to the last month before release, so the topic of conversation will still be fresh in the fans' minds.

Speaking of Turnabout Quiz, I have a feeling they'll run into a small issue with one of the early-purchase DLC shorts. It doesn't require knowing any Japanese trivia, thankfully, but I would not think "California" is the place to set it.
Spoiler: DLC shorts
Nonetheless, it would be amazing if they substituted Nine-tales Vale with Disneyland. "There's a reason why it's known as the 'happiest place on Earth', Your Benevolence!"

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

While the Takarazuka musicals can't be canon (for the localized version, because they use the American names), I do sorta like the concept of Edgeworth going back in time and go against his father who was exactly like von Karma only as a defense attorney and teaching him the lesson Phoenix taught him. The series needs more real time traveling.

I really did like the concept behind Turnabout Quiz: mystery quizzes presented in a Layton-esque way. And the presentation was great, similar to Level-5's Sloan and MacHale series. Too bad the quizzes themselves were so simple. It'd have been great if they had fewer, but better quizzes.

I actually hoped they'd do one again for AA6, but alas.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Ash wrote:
While the Takarazuka musicals can't be canon (for the localized version, because they use the American names), I do sorta like the concept of Edgeworth going back in time and go against his father who was exactly like von Karma only as a defense attorney and teaching him the lesson Phoenix taught him. The series needs more real time traveling.

It'd be kinda difficult to set an in-canon case dealing with time travel, though - at least without turning Edgeworth insane - so if we do get something with time travel, I can't help but picture a GS x GT crossover. They actually do travel through time, but they're ghosts, so who cares about the laws of physics? (I can't say if Edgeworth won't go insane about that, though.)

Agreed on Turnabout Quiz. I'm always open to more puzzles in a mystery-solving game, but it's another issue if all the extra puzzles are so simple (or in regards to other games, repetitive). If AA ever considers doing like the Layton games and offering extra challenges after beating the game, I'm all up for it. More opportunities for character interactions is never a bad thing in my book... even if they lead into bad fanfiction territory.

But at least the DLC shorts this time are funny in a very silly way, and use the cross-exam mechanic well. I have to feel sorry for Klavier, though. He's gone from MC to semi-important cameo to DLC-exclusive. And they have never updated his theme.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

It's good to know there's nothing that would be too hard to localize, which means there's a good chance it's happening. I still kind of wish they'd announce it, but then again I wish their announcements/marketing were a little more spread out like the DD marketing was. We have a demo out in two days, so I kind of assume that we'll possibly hear about the DLC soon after that. If not, I guess the determining factor will be to look at the game when it launches on September 8 and looking if there's a DLC button still in the game.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

That still wouldn't say much, because the DLC episodes are all sorted in the episode select menu ^_~ DLC itself is purchased through the DLC menu inside the Extra Contents menu, but that menu also contains the cut scenes / DLC costumes, so the presence of the Extra Contents menu still doesn't say much about the DLC episodes.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Mia Payne

Gender: Male

Location: Winning All My God Damn Cases

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 am

Posts: 1350

My questin is if it's a typical "Larry case" like every appearance of him minus 1-1

You know, where Larry does something stupid, but inadvertedly helps Phoenix make a major breakthrough in the case due to him being at the wrong place at the right time?
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

That's a given at this point.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

So, guys. Not to be that person, but...
Spoiler:
Did Capcom just confirm the "Ace" in "Ace Attorney" means more than just being really good? I mean, Edgeworth stating outright that he insists on defying the shipping community, and neither he nor Nick being interested in marriage...

Well done, Capcom. Well freakin' done. You just ruined Pearls' dreams, you monsters.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Ash wrote:
That still wouldn't say much, because the DLC episodes are all sorted in the episode select menu ^_~ DLC itself is purchased through the DLC menu inside the Extra Contents menu, but that menu also contains the cut scenes / DLC costumes, so the presence of the Extra Contents menu still doesn't say much about the DLC episodes.


I assume though if we went into the extra contents menu, we would or wouldn't see the DLC button there and that would tell us if it was coming over, right?

On the other hand, it seems to me that there's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't bring over the costumes (they don't require any localization, so they'd just be instant money for Capcom assuming people bought them), so it'll probably be there either way. But the fact that they haven't announced the costumes gives me hope that they'll announce the DLC along with it. I bet you the case won't be free like it was in Japan, though, although I'm fine with that. I'll happily pay like $5 for a new case.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

The download button will be there, but since the case is listed with the other DLC, we'll just have to wait and see. I wouldn't be worried about this case, but the DLC shorts will be a separate issue. The latter ones are listed as well, but require a special code to download them, at least how it works in the Jap ver.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: DLC case discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
The download button will be there, but since the case is listed with the other DLC, we'll just have to wait and see. I wouldn't be worried about this case, but the DLC shorts will be a separate issue. The latter ones are listed as well, but require a special code to download them, at least how it works in the Jap ver.


That's interesting. I don't care about the mini-episodes as much as the DLC case, to be honest, but I hope it all comes over one way or the other.

I wonder what would be better for them business-wise: announcing the DLC before or after release? On one hand, putting the info out there ASAP would let word spread around more, but on the other hand I can see that to the average consumer announcing DLC before release might lead to confusion about what release (main game vs dlc) the press releases are talking about. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Page 2 of 7 [ 274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO