Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 7 of 9[ 339 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Re: What do you think of Spirit of Justice?Topic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:
this game has a very Apollo-centric story in store for you but never really makes that clear until you're reaching case 5 and then it comes off more as "oh, okay, this is about Apollo actually" but it didn't feel like it was being built towards narratively

Spoiler: Just in case, entire game
I don't disagree with this but I actually liked that... perhaps twist isn't the right word, but... realization? The thing with the photograph in case three came really out of the blue and Phoenix' reaction to it was oddly unsurprised and casual (which I found hilarious, but I had already spoiled myself on that part of the story so I can't say how I'd feel about that otherwise). It felt to me like a circling story, starting off with Phoenix off in Khura'in doing his thing and Apollo and Athena doing theirs in Japanifornia with a pretty normal, by AA-standards, case and the overall story and setting is just vaguely outlined and then things start spinning, drawing closer and closer to the central part of the story and boom! Shit goes down and shit is revealed and you start to get a feeling about what the story is all about. I thought it was neat. But then again I can understand if people don't like it, and I have no idea if my opinions would have been somewhat different had I started playing with no knowledge of some pretty big twists and turns.

Quote:
as is the "fate" of Apollo in the game in my view because he's been known to fans as this youthful, modern attorney but ends up in Khura'in to fight injustice in an almost feudal setting.

Spoiler:
I've been thinking about this as well. He always came across to me as a modern city-kind of person, I have a hard time picturing him living and working in this kind of setting. Still, he has connections to the place, and a new ruler and no DC act will probably make a huge difference. Also, it didn't seem like he intended to live there permanently but rather carry the legacy a little further and help set a new legal system in motion, then going back to Japanifornia. And apart from his connections I can kinda see why he'd do that. Like Edgeworth, Apollo seems to be very passionate about law in itself.

Hmm. What I would say is, I think the game did a fine job of foreshadowing that it was about Apollo, but when it came to showing us why, that is "He's deeply tied to Khura'in" it didn't feel logical enough given his previous backstory (at least what impression you had) or what the story felt like it was building towards. I know they show us he's got some history with Nahyuta in case 2, but every revelation in case 5 came across as "oh really... uh, huh, I can go with that I guess" when his "dad" suddenly shows up and they act all father-son like like a flip-switch and when Phoenix sees the picture of Apollo in case 3. It felt too sudden and unnatural to me to feel like it was a logical series of revelations from Apollo's overal story arc across AA456. I'm not saying him being from Khura'in all along couldn't have been revealed in a graceful way, but I felt AA6 didn't quite do this and as a whole the biggest word that pops up in hindsight is "unfocused" when I think of the game.

I guess you can say AA6 is a subversion which has a positive ring to it. To me the word "retcon" feels more adequate. :grossberg:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

The video game boy; the one who wins

"Act all father-son like like a flip-switch"... I really felt the opposite.
Spoiler: 6-5
Dhurke may be all "howdy, son" but Apollo seems very resentful and the whole atmosphere is pretty awkward until the cave scene where Apollo eventually starts warming up to Dhurke (again)... after having his life saved by him and realizing he actually did care for him after all. When finding out he's dead Apomlo thinks that he had almost been ready to accept him as a dad again. But that certainly wasn't a flip-switch change of mind, all things considered.

The whole thing with his backstory was kinda out of the blue, I'll admit that, but I honestly don't have a problem with that. We knew the circumstances of his birth from AJ and something from his adolesence from DD, but what was between that was pretty much a blank slate and SoJ filled it in. He didn't wanna talk about his past or even think about it, explaining posthaste why it hadn't come up until now. Which I assume is a flimsy excuse for many people, but heck, I buy it. :)
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Alexander James

I haven't played it yet, and I don't think I won't be playing it anytime soon because 1) I don't have a 3DS and 2) I don't have enough money.

But my thoughts are: I think it's a great game; Capcom actually gave us what we wanted.

Again, I haven't seen anything about the game, nor have it played the game, but these are just my thoughts about the game.

But the names of the characters, my God are they so terribly funny. The puns are so cringe-worthy.

Come on, read these names: Mr. Reus, Ahlbi Ur'gaid, Paul Atishon, Shah'do. Bucky Whet, Paht Rohl and oh, how can we forget Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin?

EDIT: I suppose that they did that to give the characters a foreign vibe, but still I can't stop myself from laughing my butt off because of those names. Also, Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin has to be one of the longest, if not, maybe the longest Ace Attorney character name ever.
If all of them are happy, then I shall be happy too.

The end of nonsense is near.

Happy Maria

How can you give your thoughts about SoJ if you haven't played it yet?

AJtheprogrammer wrote:
Also, Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin has to be one of the longest, if not, maybe the longest Ace Attorney character name ever.

Hehe. Only until case five.

Southern Corn wrote:

Impressions from what he/she has seen

Happy Maria

JesusMonroe wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

Impressions from what he/she has seen

Quote:
I haven't seen anything about the game
:basil:

I think they mean spoilerful things. They lost off character names in the same post so obviously they've seen things about it

Happy Maria

That's technically not related to the game,just the character names...

why are we arguing about this again

I mean he knows more than I do before I played and I had thought I'd seen too much

Point is: he's obviously saying his impressions off of what he has seen. And you're arguing that he's seen nothing but knows the character names and is giving his impressions?

The truth will see you free~

I am a simple girl. This game has a lot of Apollo in it. I give it 10/10

In all seriousness, I'm so glad they gave Apollo much more screentime in this one. I can't wait until they finally reveal his mother because it's about time the guy gets some more good in his life after all the crap he went through.
Sig by joa_fan. ^_^

Wotter boy

char13happy wrote:

In all seriousness, I'm so glad they gave Apollo much more screentime in this one. I can't wait until they finally reveal his mother because it's about time the guy gets some more good in his life after all the crap he went through.

They'll probably do it in a way that makes Apollo feel even worse because she was there but she wasn't.
They just won't give him a break

Canadian Cat: The True Master Race

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
char13happy wrote:

They'll probably do it in a way that makes Apollo feel even worse because she was there but she wasn't.
They just won't give him a break

I hope not. We just had Apollo get a lot of character development, it would suck if he became depressed again like in Dual Destinies. I doubt he would mad as much as be happy. :apollo:

Elite of CR Apparently

Well, what a better way to blow the dust off this account then to put my thoughts on SoJ? Bear in mind this is what I remember from a first playthrough. My thoughts are mostly unchanged.

From just a first time playthrough, I had fun.
6-2 is one of my favorites, I loved all the characters in it.
6-5 wasn't half bad, I did like most of the first half, and it was a bit satisfying to take down Ga'ran, albeit somewhat underwhelming.
I didn't like 6-4 very much, it screamed filler and the killer wasn't one of my favorites and super annoying in my opinion.
6-3 was just kind of bleh, although it had a cool concept and Rayfa, a character that kept me going in this case.
6-1 was just long, and even Hard Rock Jesus couldn't salvage the case for me.

Well, there's my opinions. I look forward to the replies. :will:

Last edited by CreativeAttorney on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Maria

One thing they really should have done in this game is put more save points. Case 2 and Case 4 both have two segments,and Case 3 and the DLC have 5. It seems very uneven as it is.

1000% Knight

Save points don't really matter when you can save whenever you want anyway
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

But they can create a bit of harmony by slicing the cases into more digestible pieces. I often save and quit whenever but the save points provided by the game still makes it a mini-break to kinda clear my head for a second and get ready to keep going. Like chapters in a book.

Happy Maria

Yeah,like he said. It feels more symmetrical that way. And not everyone uses the save points or even know about them

Wotter boy

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
One thing they really should have done in this game is put more save points. Case 2 and Case 4 both have two segments,and Case 3 and the DLC have 5. It seems very uneven as it is.

They put the points in when the significant part ends.
Look at Case 4, the save points are during Trial Former and Trial Latter. Or Case 2, after Investigation and between Trial Former and Trial Latter.

Case 3, DLC and 5 are longer, two day cases while the former two are only 1 day, so it'd make sense for there to be more sections that need to be seperated.

(I might also be completely wrong because I just woke up)

Happy Maria

Yes,but some parts go on for way too long. Case 1, for example,has one three hour section. And Case two's trial is actually just one big segment. It ain't split up. I'll admit Case four is decently paced,but not the others.

1000% Knight

But... you can save and take a break whenever you want. Save points change literally nothing.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

A natural "break" in the ongoing story, I mean. I think it's mostly a feeling. For example, I'll be way more inclined to read two ten-page chapters in a row in a book than one twenty-page chapter, despite the result being the exact same amount of pages read. I can't explain it better than that, but I feel like a micropause is refreshing, even if it's just the time it takes to press "yes" and "continue". And a feeling of progress - going from one section of the case to another.

Going for Miles wrote:
A natural "break" in the ongoing story, I mean. I think it's mostly a feeling. For example, I'll be way more inclined to read two ten-page chapters in a row in a book than one twenty-page chapter, despite the result being the exact same amount of pages read. I can't explain it better than that, but I feel like a micropause is refreshing, even if it's just the time it takes to press "yes" and "continue". And a feeling of progress - going from one section of the case to another.

I can understand, but that's not really a flaw. More like a minor inconvenience. Sort of like how it takes it take in extra minute or two to make coffee with one kettle than with another. :spit:

I never said it was a flaw.

Happy Maria

It's like saying 'What's the point of dividing the book into chapters when you can just use a bookmark to save your progress?' Natural 'save-points' are better than artificial ones.

I know, I'm just saying that it can't be defined as one. It's just annoying at time, like you said. I think I worded that wrong. Whatever. :sillytrucy:

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Bad Player wrote:
But... you can save and take a break whenever you want. Save points change literally nothing.

Except if you fail and forgot to save, and you rage-quit.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Racing through the sky like a Missile

That's why this game (and DD and DGS) has autosave. It always loads to the point closest to where you last left off and can be accessed via the Chapter Select. You may lose a little progress, but it's much better than trying again from your last save file.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

And you can actually try again and get back to the exact point where you lost if you get a game over now. It's quite useful for people who like picking all the wrong answers before the correct one like me.

[Whip the cream!]

I'll probably write about it in length, my impressions in detail, when I've processed it more. So for now I'll just say some very generic stuff: I loved it. Wonderful. I loved the atmosphere. Wonderful music and plenty of wonderful characters. Got the chills over and over again. A lot of touching, heart-wrenching and sentimental moments. Lots of funny moments too. Gorgeous graphics. So as for now I'm just expressing my love for it.
Spoiler: Case 5
The fact that Apollo moved to Khura'in made me grin for such a long time my cheeks almost hurt, along with rubbing my hands together.

Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I find playing it difficult to tolerate because the pacing is even worse than DD and there is so much more talking.

Glimmerous Fop

I agree with everyone who thinks that this game should have more savepoints. When I first played the game I thought: "Did they completely get rid off savepoints (except after the end of one phase)?". It's not a big flaw, however I really liked the savepoints in the other games and here I felt they were underused, especially considering this game has probably the longest segments in the series.

luck wrote:
And you can actually try again and get back to the exact point where you lost if you get a game over now. It's quite useful for people who like picking all the wrong answers before the correct one like me.

Yeah, finally someone who plays the same way as me. I always first click the wrong answers just to see the reactions of the other characters.Being able to save whenever you want and regaining full health after Game Over made it much easier to do so in this game than in the games before Dual Destinies.

Happy Maria

I myself think there should be modes of difficulty. Really easy mode is pretty much DD difficulty,easy mode gets rid of the obvious hints by the characters before you present stuff,medium gets rid of that as well as increases the number of penalty needed to consult,and hard gets rid of all those as well as consult itself and removes the try again feature. I think it could work.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I'd rather you be allowed to consult at any time, and the game can get rid of really obvious hints. And I think that when you get something right your credibility can increase.

DeiStar wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Well this literally isn't the thread for it, but (imo) the mysteries are obvious and the overarching story is nonsense filled with plotholes and ad hoc explanations that create more plotholes.

You talk as if Ace Attorney isn't nonsense with plotholes as well and stupid overarching stories.

You said that SOJ turned you off from the franchise, but I get the sense that you didn't actually like Ace Attorney from the very beginning if you say the story is stupid and filled with nonsense. I mean, who would even appreciate something they find stupid and nonsensical?

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Ultimate Godot Fan

SoJ is probably one of my favorite games in the series.
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." -Godot, 2019.

Ultimate Godot Fan

Slammer wrote:
I mean, who would even appreciate something they find stupid and nonsensical?

I really love Monty Python, and that's really stupid and nonsensical.
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." -Godot, 2019.

Moddragon22 wrote:
Slammer wrote:
I mean, who would even appreciate something they find stupid and nonsensical?

I really love Monty Python, and that's really stupid and nonsensical.

I wasn't speaking of sketch comedy.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Mia Payne

I still say it's top three material no matter how hard my friends try to CONVINCE ME

Yabba Dabba Doo

Eh, it's top 3 for me. I generally prefer Yamazaki over Takumi (Except for Trials and Tribulations, which is a masterpiece).
Page 7 of 9 [ 339 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)