Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 1[ 28 posts ]

The Puns in this Game are Really Bad *Spoilers*Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

And I don't mean that in a so bad it's good way either. Besides most of the case 2 names and one case five name,the puns here are pretty bad. Especially the Khura'inese puns. Really,names like Pees'lubn Andhawhatever,Ahlbi Ur'gaid,and all the case three names are terrible. It kinda removes my immersion.

The only exceptions to this are,as said above,Bonny,Roger,Mr.Reus
Spoiler: Case 2,4 and 5 names
Betty,Bucky and Archie. Actually,I quite like Ives Shineto as well :gant:

The other names are just okay. The case 4 names and the other case five names didn't make me laugh,but those were NAMES. The Khura'in royal family's names along with Nahytuta and Dhurke are okay
Spoiler: Case 5
and even then Inga's full name is terrible
but they're just romanizations of the Japanese names so they don't count.
Spoiler: Case 3 Names
Actually,Datz is somewhat unique as well since is first name's the same but they modified it so that it worked as an English pun.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this? :yogi:

EDIT:Actually,I have an idea. What if the JP names were the English ones and vice versa? Then it would sound foreign to us,because it is! :basil: Would you say this is a somewhat suitable substitute?

EDIT 2:Oh,and I suppose I should share my thoughts on the DLC names:

Spoiler: Turnabout Time Traveller Names
Ellen Wyatt was...normal,Sorin and Selena Sprocket were okay,and Pierce Nichody was nice and subtle reference,as well as subtle foreshadowing.

So...they were okay,actually. As expected of the non-Khura'inese names,thank goodness.

Last edited by Southern Corn on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:59 am, edited 8 times in total.
Re: The Puns in this Game are Really Bad *Spoilers*Topic%20Title

Art Person

Can you explain the pun in
Spoiler: case 5
Ives Shineto?

I don't know if I'm reading it right but I don't get it.

Also you lack a sense of humour, the puns in this game are the greatest! They really were able to capture the essence of the puns in the Japanese version without as much obscurity as in the past.

A Kirby and AA fan

Yeah, I agree. The names are somewhat okay if you just read them, but when they were pronounced, it's just very glaring.
"I'll be your guide, you're under arrest" -- wait, what?

I really hope these bad puns stay in Khura'in. They also kinda broke the immersion for me.

SuperAj3 wrote:
Also you lack a sense of humour, the puns in this game are the greatest!

Ah yes... The tried "your humor is different from mine, so you lack a sense of humor" argument.

SuperAj3 wrote:
They really were able to capture the essence of the puns in the Japanese version without as much obscurity as in the past.

If they capture the essence of the Japanese puns, then that simply means that subjectively the Japanese puns are terrible too.

I think that since they didn't need to make the Khurain'ese names sound like actual names (as oppossed to the English names), they figured they could make them as silly as they wanted, because, well, it's a made-up language that can sound however they want.

I noticed that the puns were more obvious than usual, but it didn't really bother me.

Gettin' Old!

Speak for yourself. I LOVE the puns. Inga's one had me laughing out loud
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler:
I loved them in case 1, but didn't like them in case 3. Paul Atishon is like Luke Atmey - it sounds like a real name. But to be honest, I have a hard time taking the names of the victims, Rohl, Zeh'lot, Inmee, seriously.

I also thought the puns were pretty bad. I don't know whether to blame Janet Hsu or if Yamazaki was also making them way more obvious than the standard fare

Art Person

Nurio wrote:
Yeah, I agree. The names are somewhat okay if you just read them, but when they were pronounced, it's just very glaring.

I really hope these bad puns stay in Khura'in. They also kinda broke the immersion for me.

SuperAj3 wrote:

Ah yes... The tried "your humor is different from mine, so you lack a sense of humor" argument.

SuperAj3 wrote:
They really were able to capture the essence of the puns in the Japanese version without as much obscurity as in the past.

If they capture the essence of the Japanese puns, then that simply means that subjectively the Japanese puns are terrible too.

I'm just joking around, no need to take offense at a comment (especially one not aimed at you!)
And yeah the Japanese puns are meant to be obvious! So I kinda like how stupid some are, they give me a good chuckle :gant:
Just think it's harsh for someone to blatantly hate it XD The team probably spent quite a while working out a pun that works with the source material and is obvious enough for fans to get, so it's some clever stuff (even if they're cringeworthy)

Happy Maria

@SuperAj3 It's
Spoiler:
I've seen it all.
Also,humour is pretty subjective for most people,so that probably why you find them funnier than I do. And yeah,I don't think the Japanese names were good either.

@luck Yeah,to a foreigner maybe,but I'm of Asian descent,so it doesn't seem that way to me. For example, Beh'leeb and Pees'lubn don't sound like a male OR female name to me.

@Pierre Inga's is fine because they showed it for half a second so it's nitpicking. The others...no.

@MBr. Yeah,but
Spoiler:
Paul's name doesn't sound right to me for some reason,oh well.

@JesusMonroe I think we should blame the JP team for coming up with such ludicrous names and Janet for taking them to the next level.

Actually,I have an idea. What if the JP names were the English ones and vice versa? Then it would sound foreign to us,because it is! :basil:

Thanks for the replies,btw. Also,I want to note that I don't hate the game for it's puns. It's just that they bring the game down a notch in terms of immersion. Oh,and please keep this discussion civil.

Art Person

Southern Corn wrote:
@SuperAj3 It's
Spoiler:
I've seen it all.
Also,humour is pretty subjective for most people,so that probably why you find them funnier than I do. And yeah,I don't think the Japanese names were good either.

OHHH Thanks for explaining it!
And yeah humour's subjective, I'm a sucker for puns (and I crack my fair share of terrible ones myself), so it's my sorta humour.
Sorry if my comment came off strong. :payne: It wasn't intended to be mean or anything but yeah it was blunt.

Happy Maria

SuperAj3 wrote:
Nurio wrote:

SuperAj3 wrote:

SuperAj3 wrote:

I'm just joking around, no need to take offense at a comment (especially one not aimed at you!)
And yeah the Japanese puns are meant to be obvious! So I kinda like how stupid some are, they give me a good chuckle :gant:
Just think it's harsh for someone to blatantly hate it XD The team probably spent quite a while working out a pun that works with the source material and is obvious enough for fans to get, so it's some clever stuff (even if they're cringeworthy)

Lol,glad we got that aside. It's alright,just don't be too blunt,it's hard to detect sarcasm when you can't detect someone's tone of voice.

And I'm not hating the game just for its bad puns (in fact,I quite like it) ,nor am I claiming that the devs are bad at their job. I'm just saying that these puns could have been...more subtle.

I do hope that there's less time spent in Khura'in next game,because the 'American' puns were pretty good.

Art Person

Very true very true. It's hard to read emotions through text. And yeah I kinda read your post's opening to be kinda blunt too so hence my response. But all's good. I harbor no animosity.

Haha, yeah, the puns are blatant in the Japanese version for Khura'in, as they took advantage of it being a foreign country, so anything could be a name XD
Hence "Peeslub'n" is acceptable for the localisation XD

And yeah the game was great! But I agree compared to the other games in the series (barring Deid Mann and Mack Rell) the puns were very obvious this time around, I got almost all of them
Spoiler: maybe DLC spoilers?
(Still don't know "Ellen Wyatt" though)

Idol of Polar Bears

Maybe I'm not smart but Ives Shineto went way over my head.

Happy Maria

@Mr. Bear Jew It's
Spoiler:
I've seen it all

@SuperAj3 Good to know,thank goodness. ...Oh! I think I know this one!

Spoiler:
oh wait no I don't :karma:

What is it? :sadshoe:

The video game boy; the one who wins

I don't get any of the DLC ones (assuming there's anything to get).
As for the Khura'in ones, I found them fairly funny just because it felt like they didn't even try to make them witty or subtle.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Going for Miles wrote:
I don't get any of the DLC ones (assuming there's anything to get).
As for the Khura'in ones, I found them fairly funny just because it felt like they didn't even try to make them witty or subtle.

Well,what do you know? Apparently people can like something for the exact reason others hate it.

Also,
Spoiler:
Sorin is soaring,the victim is a pun on doom and gloom,Pierce Nichody = persnickety,and Sprocket sounds like rocket

I don't get the others

Idol of Polar Bears

I legit loved the Khura'in names. Would have been a sore disappointment for the writers to not take advantage of a foreign language like that.

迷探偵

Southern Corn wrote:
Also,
Spoiler:
Sorin is soaring,the victim is a pun on doom and gloom,Pierce Nichody = persnickety,and Sprocket sounds like rocket

I don't get the others

Spoiler:
A sprocket is a gear. It's the same pun as in the Japanese name.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

A Kirby and AA fan

SuperAj3 wrote:

Alright, sorry. I took your comment a bit more serious than I should've. It's just that I often hear that I have no sense of humor when I definitely do.
And yeah, it wasn't aimed at me, but since I was on the same page as Southern Corn here, it might as well have been, so I responded to it.
(And even then, I sometimes pitch in in discussions)
Actually, I think they didn't have to think very hard for these puns. They're literally words and phrases, just written differently.

MBr wrote:
Spoiler:
Paul Atishon is like Luke Atmey

Spoiler: 6-5
What!? I hadn't even noticed! I always pronounced it similar to Paul Atkinson in my head...
And I was one of those who immediately saw the pun in Luke Atmey

Happy Maria

I guess the lesson here is,what's obvious to others may not be to some others. :will:

Art Person

@Nurio: Don't worry about it. :butzthumbs: I have a tendency to word things in a way that ends up messing things up XD

Also for one of the puns, I Might be overthinking it but
Spoiler: DLC character's pun
Ellen Wyatt = Wyatt Ellen = "Why ya tellin'"?

Happy Maria

What does that have to do with their relevance?

Art Person

Southern Corn wrote:
What does that have to do with their relevance?

Yeah I think I'm wrong...

I looked it up on the AA wiki and
Spoiler:
It's a pun on "All in White" because she's in a wedding dress LOL

Happy Maria

Wow....I never would've guessed that.....

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

If I'm not mistaken, the ones in Khurain were a lot more obvious than the ones in Japanifornia in this game, right? That makes me think that it was a conscious decision to make them more obvious in Khurain.

I honestly don't have a lot of opinions about the punny names in general, so I didn't really think too much about them when I was playing

I loved Inga's whole name, though. I missed it when it came up on screen and then kind of did a double take and opened up the log to see it.

I wasn't crazy about "Temple Temple" (or however they spelled it). But I liked Datz' (both his real name and his TBD one).

Nothing will ever beat Romein LeTouse or Deid Mann, though.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Happy Maria

Actually,I think I have a somewhat suitable substitute for this,which I mentioned earlier:
I wrote:
Actually,I have an idea. What if the JP names were the English ones and vice versa? Then it would sound foreign to us,because it is! :basil:

Does anyone else think my idea is viable?

Happy Maria

Oh,and I suppose I should share my thoughts on the DLC names:

Spoiler: Turnabout Time Traveller Names
Ellen Wyatt was...normal,Sorin and Selena Sprocket were okay,and Pierce Nichody was nice and subtle reference,as well as subtle foreshadowing.

So...they were okay,actually. As expected of the non-Khura'inese names,thank goodness.

Happy Maria

Edited the new stuff into the OP. What do y'all think?
Page 1 of 1 [ 28 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)