Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 2[ 60 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Thoughts on Dhurke? <SPOILERS>Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

Probably the most pivotal character in the game. What do you think of him?
Spoiler: Whole Game
Personally,I loved him. He was hilarious as a dad and a leader. The way he just shrugged off everything was pretty neat,and his death was probably the best twist in the whole game. :godot:

Re: Thoughts on Dhurke? <SPOILERS>Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Absolutely loved him.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The video game boy; the one who wins

He had some moments that annoyed me, but all in all I liked him. I understood Polly's mixed feelings about meeting him again at first, but it became clear he cared much for his children and country, and always had. He's a good person, and the kind of person I'd imagine you'd feel very safe having around.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

I've felt worse.

He's voiced by Jamieson Price. That automatically makes him likable in my book.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Become... Enlightened

sumguy28 wrote:
He's voiced by Jamieson Price. That automatically makes him likable in my book.

So I personally associate Jamieson Price most with Diethard Ried from Code Geass. When I first saw the trailer, heard his voice, I was like, "Oh, Diethard!" Then I saw the silhouettes of Dhurke (without the face, you know, from the early game), and thought "Zero clone? Zero clone."

I was partially correct, but I'm still glad I was mostly wrong. Great character. As far as fathers in general go, he's not the greatest. But as far as Ace Attorney fathers and father figures go, he's probably the best (besides Gregory). He believed in both his sons, right to the end (even when one of them was against him).

I'm fine and ready for justice!

I was expecting a hardened man from what Khura'in made him out to be, burning down entire towns for his quest of revolution, but when I met him for the first real time, I loved every moment I spent with him. His four signature words combined with the sprite is just pure greatness.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Art Person

He was one of my favourite characters in the game, and I really wish we could've seen a lot more of him! He as Apollo's investigative partner was brilliant! Sad we can't get those father/son moments anymore :sadshoe:

I can see a lot of people calling him a Gary Stu but I really liked him, and I think his biggest flaw came from being a father. The twist that he was dead in 6-5 and was being channeled the whole time is one of the best twists in the entire series

I actually think a decent parallel can be drawn between him and Inga. Inga was horrible to his people but seemed to truly care about Rayfa while Dhurke was absolutely dedicated to his people to the point where he abandoned his sons

I'm fine and ready for justice!

JesusMonroe wrote:
I can see a lot of people calling him a Gary Stu but I really liked him, and I think his biggest flaw came from being a father. The twist that he was dead in 6-5 and was being channeled the whole time is one of the best twists in the entire series

I actually think a decent parallel can be drawn between him and Inga. Inga was horrible to his people but seemed to truly care about Rayfa while Dhurke was absolutely dedicated to his people to the point where he abandoned his sons

He didn't abandon his sons, he was always trying to help Nahyuta find the path that he strayed from and he clearly didn't abandon Apollo if his dying wish was to see him again.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

He is an amazing character. His objection is also one of the best voice clips i ever heard in the franchise. I can imagine him winning a case just by shouting objection and using his dragon glare on the prosecutor.

Apollo4Justice wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

He didn't abandon his sons, he was always trying to help Nahyuta find the path that he strayed from and he clearly didn't abandon Apollo if his dying wish was to see him again.

I mean...it took until him he died to see Apollo

I liked him. For a guy that only showed up for the last case he sure made a big impression on me. He's the embodiment of badassery and rule of cool.

Also, his massive pectorals make me feel uncomfortable about my body.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Rest in peace, Dhurke. Phoenix 2.0

Gee, Apollo just has the worst luck with dads and father-figures.

Spoiler: for AJ too
His real dad was killed in a royal conspiracy plot.

His foster dad was killed in a royal conspiracy cover-up plot.

His step-dad was killed in a conspiracy murder plot by his mentor.

His boss, mentor and kinda-dad was killed in a conspiracy trap set up by his first mentor... figuratively speaking. He got better, though.

It almost seems like one has to be a freakin' Phoenix to survive all the Justice family drama. What's next, Apollo gets a Khura'inese case where Datz is framed for a conspiracy around killing a ghost?

...That actually sounds pretty cool. I'd pay for an extra DLC case like it.

But seriously, it sucks to be a dad in these games, unless his name is Phoenix. This is also probably for the better that Edgeworth not be a dad.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

JesusMonroe wrote:

I think there was enough friction between him and Apollo and his generally lousy fatherhood which was directly addressed in the narrative that he didn't feel like a Gary Stu. I never got the feeling the story wanted you to care unjustifiably for him, but I do think overall he was a missed opportunity for something more. Particularly I think the way he's introduced in case 5 should've had some more time before he "redeems himself" in the spelunky part or however you wanna put it. The biggest problem with SoJ storywise in almost every case ia how desperate it was to peak and resolve and because of that it peaks too soon and too often and then the rest of a given case feels like it's struggling to stay interesting. Imagine if the spelunky part somehow fit in halfway throughout day 2. In many ways it felt like one of the emotional peaks of the game but it happened before case 5 really had a proper plot.

I've actually been meddling about the idea of a little rewrite where I rearrange the setpiecea of case 5 and Phoenix takes at least half the final trial himself while Apollo is somewhere else with Dhurke.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Happy Maria

I also really like how he looks like a pirate. Arr!

But,JesusMonroe raises a good point. Dhurke's sorta the Godot/Athena of this game,isn't he?

That would be Apollo. The game is more about him than about Dhurke, but I think it's not even comparable to neither of those two. I assume you mean Godot is sort of THE character from T&T and Athena is THE character from DD... I think Dhurke fails to be that because he's only revealed in the final case.

Happy Maria

I mean more as in they're the new characters introduced in the game whom everyone seems to love at first but then a startling majority despises them.

I wouldn't say a 'startling majority' despises Godot or Athena. A 'surprisingly big number of people', maybe. Obviously it's impossible to know. And it's not even that surprising. Every character has their haters, just like every character has their fans. And when a character is so important to the game like those two, it's rare for people to merely not care about them. If they dislike them, they're probably going to hate their guts by the end of the game.

The video game boy; the one who wins

I was always under the impression that Godot and Dhurke were generally well liked (even if Godot is a quite polarizing character).
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Southern Corn wrote:
I mean more as in they're the new characters introduced in the game whom everyone seems to love at first but then a startling majority despises them.

Godot has a vocal minority hate group that can't distinguish between him being an unfortunate victim and culprit of fate vs him being a terrible person that people act like is good (which is a fatal misconception about him and why people like him)

Athena is just "she's a sue, and she was shoved in your face to the point of feeling obnoxious", but I can see kind of a similar reaction with Dhurke. Maybe it'll set in once I replay it or I'll stand by how I felt about him at first, but I don't think Godot fits into the mix because there's no "liked at first until people start to despise him" factor with him. A few Athena fans still slip through the cracks but I feel the common perception of her in the fanbase right now, and when SoJ released was that people like her but she's not put on a pedestal like Godot or other fan-favorites, and the ones that really love her and want Athena Cykes Ace Attorney seem to be few.

I don't think Dhurke's gonna have a similar backlash to Athena cause he's only in one case. The biggest problem with his character is that he came out of nowhere which is more a problem with Apollo in SOJ

Derper

Going for Miles wrote:
I was always under the impression that Godot and Dhurke were generally well liked (even if Godot is a quite polarizing character).

They are. We're just supposed to pretend that if a certain side of the fandom are vocal about their hate of certain characters or cases then that must mean that that's the majority without actual basis because that's how basic statistics work apparently. Kinda like how we're supposed to believe that there aren't many Athena fans and how Dual Destinies is believed to be one of the worst Ace Attorney games even if what's observable proves otherwise.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

Happy Maria

Okay,maybe I did misword it a lot. The better term would be a vocal minority.

JesusMonroe wrote:
I don't think Dhurke's gonna have a similar backlash to Athena cause he's only in one case. The biggest problem with his character is that he came out of nowhere which is more a problem with Apollo in SOJ

It did strike me as odd the way he was revealed and how quickly it went to the "oh now it's really emotional because x moment happens with Dhurke". I mean, 6-5 is just all over the place in general. it's sensational and bombastic and has a few good ideas, but Dhurke being haphazardly handled by the writers is just one out of about ten other mishandled aspects of the case or should we just call it the overarching plot in general. Sometimes it feels like there's no rhyme of reason to Yamazaki's storytelling. You always get a sense of where the ideas came from but he's not good at keeping everything in check so it has a natural way of unfolding. 6-5 was litterally a bunch of "THEN THIS HAPPENED AND THEN THIS HAPPENED" at times and I felt an urge to go "huh, now wait a second, did I just skip a page or something?" because it tried to do a million things at once and ended up skimming through them.

Glimmerous Fop

I absolutely love Dhurke, he is - no doubt - my favourite character in the game. Not only is his voice acting great (has there ever been such an awesome "Objection" before?) But also has there ever been such an heroic and still reasonable and funny character like him? No I don't think so. He is probably the most important character in the game (alongside with Phoenix and Apollo), because he was the main source of the revolution, the leader of the revolution group.

Dhurke didn't only appear in case 5. Despite he didn't have a lot screentime, he was still present all over the game. He is mentioned during case 1 and later has a cutscene with Datz at the end of case 1. He is then mentioned in case 3 as well several times and you get to know who he really was (plus he has a short appearance in the court lobby).
I really loved how you first think in case 1 that Dhurke might be the villain in the game (at least I couldn't rule it out yet) and also in case 3 you first might suspect that Datz (the "dangerous" prisoner) is a bad person as well and suddenly - the moment when Datz talks about the past, you just realize what an awesome person Dhurke might be.

Case 5 then absolutely reaches the climax, latest in the first investigation phase you begin to love Dhurk and when they showed the flashback with Dhurke saving Yuty and Apollo from the river, I started crying. He tried to fight not only for Apollo, but also for Nayuta, for Amara, for Rayfa, for Maya, for all the falsly accused prisoners, for Apollos father and of course for the legal system of the whole country. He truly was a hero.
The moment it was revealed that Dhurke was in fact already dead... holy... this was at least on par with the big twists at the end of Trials & Tribulations and Dual Destinies respectively, if not even the most shocking plot twist in the main series yet.

But there are still a few things regarding Dhurke I missed in the game. I really wishef we would have seen Dhurke again after it was revealed that he was already dead. I wish, Maya would have channeled Dhurke at the end of the trial so he could see Apollo, Nahyuta, Amara, Datz and all his rebelmembers one last time. That he would see that Apollo really did it, that the revolution was a success, that Yuty was "saved" (and that he finally was the old Yuty again), that Garan was overthrown, that he could kiss Amara one last time (even though I am not a big fan of Yuty's and Amara's behaviour and their personality, but thats another chapter). I know that we saw Dhurkes spirit for a very short moment of time during the endcutscene, but that was only Apollo thinking about him, not the actual spirit of Dhurke.

Furthermore I had always hoped that you could play a short flashbackcase with Dhurke of the case 23 years ago. How exactly did he lose against 20-year-old Garan and what allegedly forged evidence did he use? It would have been so awesome (and furthermore Dhurke had already an own "Objection"-voiceclip that was underused) and a flashback trial would have been a good opportunity to learn more about Jove Justice and Queen Amara (I wished we would have heard more about their backgroundstory). And oh, another question: Did they explain, why Dhurke was wearing the eye patch and why his arm was in a position like he has broken it and can't move it? If not, I wished they would have explained it in the game.

Still, Dhurke is such an awesome character and one big reason why I love this game so much!

Last edited by AchtungBaby on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy Maria

Yeah really,his whole redemption arc began at the start of the game IMO.

My edge is worthy for miles.

Dhurke is my favorite character in the series since Godot. Sorry Athena/Apollo/Trucy fans.

Southern Corn wrote:
Yeah really,his whole redemption arc began at the start of the game IMO.

The self-contained story that happens in the first day, before the trial, in the final case is really well done, there's no denying that :javado:

What's a Court Records?

Dhurke is one of my favorite characters in SoJ. I loved his personality.

Spoiler: Case 5
Apollo discovering that he was actually dead was the saddest moment in the series for me. D:

Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Happy Maria

I don't think that was even the saddest moment in this game. The last part of case three was pretty damn emotional imo

What's a Court Records?

Case 3 didn't even come close to making my eyes water.
Mostly because it didn't involve characters that I actually gave a shit about.
Why am I even here?

Happy Maria

I cared about them in case three a lot. I think they did very well in that

What's a Court Records?

Honestly, cases 2, 4, and 5 were the best imo.
Why am I even here?

Happy Maria

I agree with that. Case 1 is very good,but I don't think it should be above anything else as it's just a first case. Plus,it drags on too long.

Case three,while having excellent story,doesn't have good pacing and the first trial is bad.

[Whip the cream!]

I really liked him, I didn't expect him to be that humorous and laidback, I thought he would be more stern and harderned. There were a few things about him that annoyed me, but I didn't think he was an annoying character per se. It's really sweet and touching when Apollo warms up to him, viewing him as a father again.

Heh... There's the thing about...
Spoiler: Well, everything
...his death. There were a few misunderstandings from my part. I had been spoiled and knew that he wouldn't make it out alive. First of all... Let's see what I wrote in another thread... "One thing I did misremember/misunderstand was that he actually was alive at all in the game [...]" Turned out that I was more correct that I thought I was. I had thought he was some kind of legendary leader that died when Apollo and Nahyuta were pretty small, then when I met him I thought "ah, so he dies during the game, how sad it feels to meet him now, knowing that he'll die". Therefore the twist about him being channeled stayed a twist for me, which I was so happy about, because said twist gave me shivers all over. To see Apollos reaction made my heart ache. (When he talked about his time running out I thought he was going to do something extremely dangerous, the thought of channeling didn't even occur to me.)

Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Happy Maria

I love it when I think I'm spoiled about something but then I realise I wasn't st all. Your experience reminds me of that.

Spoiled on the same thing

Spoiler:
Was told he'd die. Thought he'd be the victim in 6-5 part 2. Then he revealed that he had an illness and didn't have much time left so I was like "Ah ok, it wasn't much of a spoiler after all"

What's a Court Records?

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
I agree with that. Case 1 is very good,but I don't think it should be above anything else as it's just a first case. Plus,it drags on too long.

Case three,while having excellent story,doesn't have good pacing and the first trial is bad.

Case 1 wasn't bad, but it took a while to actually get to the good part. Case 3 I felt was a decent case, but it really drags on. Overall, there weren't any cases in the game that I truly disliked.
Why am I even here?

Happy Maria

Yeah,until Pees'lubn came in,it was just alright. And yes,I agree with you on case three.

What's a Court Records?

Honestly, I've been wanting to play again, but I haven't been able to due to dealing with school and crap and I have other playthroughs of games I want to finish first.
Why am I even here?

Page 1 of 2 [ 60 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)