Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 2[ 44 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Episode 7: "Turnabout Samurai - Last Trial"Topic%20Title

This is a general discussion thread for episode seven of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Samurai - Last Trial"

Quote:
"Will the true culprit of the Steel Samurai case be caught? And why did they do it?"

Last edited by RoyalTanki on Wed May 18, 2016 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Episode 7: "Turnabout Samurai - Last Trial"Topic%20Title

This series is so close yet so far.

While the animation had trouble staying on model, there were moments where I could see there was genuine effort being put in by the animation team.

A standout moment to me when I say that is when Cody comes down and starts yelling and the camera begins to turn, while I wouldn't say this is well done, it is pretty impressive for a show like this which is obviously very low budget to be trying harder stuff like this.

Music was good in this episode, didn't have any problems with it whatsoever.

Now, for what happens in the episode,

Something that really bugged me was the "Oh your argument is so mind blowing that it threw me to the floor!" thing again that was in episode one. It is unrealistic, cringey and stupid. Stop it.

This episode in general was a bit too over the top in it's drama. Like, I think episode 5 and 6 got a good balance when it came to that, but this one just leaned to heavily on the melodramatic tone. I wasn't a fan to be honest.

Hoping Turnabout Goodbyes will get the same treatment that episodes 5 and 6 did for the whole run, instead of again going out on a weaker note.

6/10

A Kirby and AA fan

I like the added drama. Yes, it's far from subtle, but it helps in changing up the anime from the game. If it does exactly what does games do, except trimming down on content, then the anime would have very little merit and would just be the game but worse on many fronts.
Adding more drama and suspense, even if it is over the top, helps make this anime worthwhile. What they maybe could've toned down on was the amount of tears. I don't mind drama, but everyone and their grandma is crying, then that's just terrible delivery.

I personally don't mind the "I point and a gust of wind appears". I mind more that it's repeated every time. They could've done other things aside from a gust of wind.

The pacing was fine in this episode. Missed the Manella cross examinations, but this episode worked fine as is. I had predicted that the sleeping pills would be presented as evidence in this episode, but I was wrong! That does take away the proof that Hammer had murderous intent.
In fact, that point was a bit subdued in this episode. It almost felt like a passing mention. "Yeah. Hammer tried to kill Vasquez instead. Moving on..."

Nurio wrote:
Adding more drama and suspense, even if it is over the top, helps make this anime worthwhile. What they maybe could've toned down on was the amount of tears. I don't mind drama, but everyone and their grandma is crying, then that's just terrible delivery.

Wasn't the only people crying... Cody a lot, and occasionally Powers sometimes? I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

A Kirby and AA fan

Sligneris wrote:
Nurio wrote:

Wasn't the only people crying... Cody a lot, and occasionally Powers sometimes? I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Interestingly, I could've sworn there were more people crying. But it's just those two... plus Maya. She was crying, too. I think maybe the fact that she was crying made me think "Gosh, at this point, everyone might as well be crying".
Cody is a small child who loves the Steel Samurai, so I understand him crying
Will Powers loves being this figure for the children and is heartbroken he's disappointing them, so I understand he's shedding a tear
Maya, though... What stake does she have exactly in Cody's speech? And she has her hands before her mouth too as if it's too much to bear
(There's also Oldbag. Though she didn't cry, she certainly looked sad. But I understand it a bit more for her.)

Programmer

Yeah, this just felt weaker. With all the stuff they've cut and moved to previous episodes, it all feel like a dud. And they didn't even manage to use Oldbag well here. She was showing a lot of emotions in the previous episode and now she just walks up and spills it? Without emotions? Did they outsource the episodes to different studios or something?

Also, I don't recall seeing that photo of Cody's before. That wasn't in the previous episode, nor in the game.

I can't say it's good that they cut out Sal. He may indeed be as unpleasant as food poisoning, but he is still a key part of the story.

And in general, there is still the problem from the previous episode: there is little reason to suspect Vasquez. All the reason to confront her was in the old accident. By delaying introducing the accident for so long they just ruin everything.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Enoshima Junko-chan!

How cringy was that? It might be the worst episode so far. Here's hoping they don't mess up the next case.

I'm not sure on this, but I don't think the game went as far as explaining that Vasquez moved the body after construction. I think all you had to do was show that she could have used the van, and the discussion ends.

But they messed up her breakdown! She was supposed to break the stick at the end.

And the wind and fire? We can imagine that. It doesn't make sense to show it, honestly. Just have the characters flinch instead.

Chronically Unstable

Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this episode.

Let's start with the positives. Oldbag was savage this episode - she ended up becoming so much more likable than ever before (even though I love game!Oldbag through and through)! The fact that the hero talk in the previous episode motivated her to help the defence just in the nick of time really shows just how much trust she's gained towards Nick & Co., thus saving the trial along with Edgeworth.

Cody was cool as well. While the way he interrupts the trial is just like how you'd expect it to happen in the games, it still ends up pretty memorable. Kid's got guts!
...although now that I think of it, the whole scene did feel kinda cheesy to me.

The big objection with the wind was actually rather well-animated! The sunlight made the effect even more lasting. Too bad the rest of the show isn't this consistently good in terms of quality.

Also: why was Vasquez sitting on the witness stand? Oh wait, it's Ace Attorney. I'll allow it.

Now to the moments that I can't quite fully grasp: Edgeworth. While I'm happy the episode portrayed this important part to showcase his character development, it honestly felt kinda rushed. In fact, the whole trial seemed somewhat disjointed. Also, the presence of "I was hoping to come up with something - I didn't", while neat, didn't feel that impactful, because this line was supposed to be played for comedic effect, and before the last testimony. Showing Edgeworth struggling like this felt really off.

And the biggest gripe I have with this episode: Vasquez. This episode didn't give her nearly as much justice as the games did. The "self-defence" part was supposed to be the big breaking point of the case, and yet it was moved to the middle. That's what I meant by the trial being "disjointed" - the flow of events was genuinely confusing. Also, why oh why didn't they show a flashback to the incident of 5 years ago (which really should've been touched upon much earlier, given its significance)? First off, the game stated that it was Hammer who pushed Manuel on the fence, yet the anime says he merely "witnessed" it. This immediately ruins Vasquez's character as a whole. Why? In the game, she implies that Hammer did it on purpose, and when the flashback to said incident cues in, we witness her mental breakdown at the sight of Manuel's death, who was implied to be of great significance to Vasquez, making her a much deeper culprit than we initially thought her to be. The anime skipped this completely, and, as a result, she wasn't nearly as memorable as she was supposed to be.

Anyway, while I think the previous episode was better, this one wasn't all that bad. Certain characters definitely proved themselves, others fell flat on their face. This episode saddled me with unnecessary feelings.

Last edited by SPInc on Sat May 14, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Oh, and I liked the slow versions of the Steel Samurai theme.

The law evolves with mankind

I dunno why but...
VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION:
I'm growing fond of the wind effect and this whole episode felt quite good to me. It makes it feel more anime-ish than a bland drama. I know there's lots of parts that gamers miss but in anime terms, this is well done already. Too much data may make the episode more rushed than not. And they did try their best to take the best data and evidence to make the story more logical, as I see it. Character designs too felt better and better, though still far from perfect. Anyway, I rate this episode 8.5/10
What good is faith without doubt?
What good is right without wrong?
What good is hope without despair?

Everything exists with a reason. Don't stay sad. Look at the brighter side.

Chronically Unstable

Well, the pachinko cutscenes of 1-5 also had the wind effect, and I'd say it was pretty darn effective. There's something similar here as well, though not so impactful.

Gardevoir lover

So i'm about halfway through the episode and i gotta say, i am loving this much so far, this might be my favorite episode up to this point.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Racing through the sky like a Missile

It's moments like with Cody in this episode that make me wonder if this anime would have done so much better if there were a lot more leg movement than in the opening.

> But they're in court

Of course they're in court. That's the point. They'll just be rushing around back and forth in court. If they're going to ham up every one of the reactions, they might as well take it the next step forward.

And maybe throw in some Jjba-style posing.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

i may not know much

i'm still really mad about the gumshoe thing but i like what they did with oldbag in this ep

Igi ari!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
It's moments like with Cody in this episode that make me wonder if this anime would have done so much better if there were a lot more leg movement than in the opening.

> But they're in court

Of course they're in court. That's the point. They'll just be rushing around back and forth in court. If they're going to ham up every one of the reactions, they might as well take it the next step forward.

And maybe throw in some Jjba-style posing.

Or make more frames viewed from an unusual angle. They look very lifeless when you see their structure as more vertical in some frames. Or emphasize those hand movements even more.

Gardevoir lover

CaptainCanti wrote:
i'm still really mad about the gumshoe thing but i like what they did with oldbag in this ep

I know right? I actually kind of like her here.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Art Person

Attorneys manipulating air is a thing now LOL
And the dead silence after Egdey mistakes the name of Mr. Monkey and his "I was hoping to think of something while objecting" were brilliant! XD

Also, now I know why they redesigned Kid Nick's T-Shirt, it's to show that Power Ranger head that he and Edgey both have a keyring of from their childhood.

AAI2bestAA wrote:
Or make more frames viewed from an unusual angle. They look very lifeless when you see their structure as more vertical in some frames. Or emphasize those hand movements even more.

Oh, we had a few frames from unusual angles, alright. One instance in this ep showed Nick from above. It's such an obvious excuse to fill for on-screen dialogue, and they actually managed to make him look like a hexagon.

Aside from that, I don't have issue with the diversity of camera angles. The original games certainly lacked in that aspect.

With how windy it's gotten in this court, who wants to bet there'll be a storm brewing in the next ep?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Dragongirl

RoyalTanki wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for episode seven of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Samurai - Last Trial"

Description coming soon.

Now this version was something else alright from the game and different in the Anime here. I just loved it. Even Cody and Wendy support Phoenix all the way through in defending Will Powers until the very end. You know?
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

Everyone = Guilty

11/10

The cape is self-fluttering

The revelation about Dee being the real killer and Hammer falling on the fence happened a bit too quickly for my liking, but I understand it was the final part of the case and they needed to wrap it up.

I very much enjoyed Cody's and Oldbag's roles in the courtroom (though I lol'd at how easily they entered the floor).

Edgeworth holding samurai spear = instant boner

Regarding the dramatic part where everybody was in tears, I think it kind of made sense. It took a kid to encourage everyone to stand up for what's Wright, even though his own little world had been shattered. I guess it gives you the feels or it doesn't.

lol at Cody being in the Wright & Co. law office.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A Kirby and AA fan

Jean Descole wrote:
Regarding the dramatic part where everybody was in tears, I think it kind of made sense. It took a kid to encourage everyone to stand up for what's Wright, even though his own little world had been shattered. I guess it gives you the feels or it doesn't.

It did give me the feels, and it was a good scene. But seeing Maya in tears was just a bit too much. I think there's a bit of an unwritten rule in storytelling that if you have your characters cry too much, it'll take away the opportunity for the viewer/reader to feel sad, which is why you should avoid too many tears

Beware of the Dog

It was cool for me, and I liked the Cody and Edgeworth scenes. Especially the latter... Dunno, it's kind of if the anime was trying to display what could happen in the players minds. But how can Edgeworth carry something that nearly squashes Phoenix with its weight? I mean, he isn't that much stronger, is he? And, well, I don't like it when people develop telekinetic wind powers out of nowhere, but I think it was still decent.

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
But how can Edgeworth carry something that nearly squashes Phoenix with its weight? I mean, he isn't that much stronger, is he?

It's only 15 kg. A normal man is capable of lifting it just fine, though it would be pretty weighty in the hands of a woman like Vasquez. Phoenix is just a wimp.

Honestly, as funny as it was to see him owned, I think they exaggerated a bit too much. If anything, they could have had it drop on his foot and it would have been just dandy.

More legwork should be used in court, even if just on one leg.

ASCEND

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
But how can Edgeworth carry something that nearly squashes Phoenix with its weight? I mean, he isn't that much stronger, is he?

It's only 15 kg. A normal man is capable of lifting it just fine, though it would be pretty weighty in the hands of a woman like Vasquez. Phoenix is just a wimp.

There's also the fact that Phoenix had it thrown at him, and Edgeworth just picked it up.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Physics in my Ace Attorney? Hell nawwww.

It's trickier than it sounds to catch 15 kg in hand, true, but if they wanted to be realistic, he would have stumbled back as well (and probably dropped it on his foot). In any case, he didn't expect it to be too heavy and was taken off-guard... wimp.

Igi ari!

Honestly, as funny as it was to see him owned, I think they exaggerated a bit too much. If anything, they could have had it drop on his foot and it would have been just dandy.

More legwork should be used in court, even if just on one leg.

Oh no you just made a sexist remark there! :beef: But seriously, even in the game Edgeworth made these kinds of remarks and the disturbing thing is Vasquez seemed to use this convenience of sexism. Oh well, I think this shows how better people are now than 15 years ago.

But, it's not sexist in any manner? Dee Vasquez certainly appears to be a dainty and elegant lady, and if she says she can't wield a 15 kg spear, then it's fair to take her word for it.

Nowhere has anyone said that "a woman can't wield a 15 kg spear". I am a woman who can wield a 15 kg spear. Not very adroitly, sure, but I don't have proper training with spears.

But I assure you I can kick Phoenix's butt.

The miracle never happen

-deleted-
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Last edited by Kessler on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

AAI2bestAA wrote:
Oh no you just made a sexist remark there! :beef: But seriously, even in the game Edgeworth made these kinds of remarks and the disturbing thing is Vasquez seemed to use this convenience of sexism. Oh well, I think this shows how better people are now than 15 years ago.

Aside from what other people have said, this takes place in present day and not 15 years ago

The miracle never happen

-deleted-
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Last edited by Kessler on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I'm sure the sexist comment was in jest. At least, I hope so.

Anyway, Vasquez doesn't appear physically strong, unlike the defendant. And Edgeworth had his point proven by throwing the spear to Phoenix.

Gettin' Old!

I think the Wind Effects need to be....faster. So they hit the opposition like a ki blast or something.

Pretty much I imagine it like in the games, you make a point and the enemy recoils as if struck. There's a big difference from that to "Enduring a wind before being overwhelmed by it" it's a slower paced form of damage.

The Cody-Courtroom scene I felt was appropriate, if I was a dumb kid who had absolute passion and faith in the good guys beating the bad guys in a situation like that I'd probably breakdown as well.

Also man Penny Nichols got almost wrote out entirely haha.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Igi ari!

But, it's not sexist in any manner? Dee Vasquez certainly appears to be a dainty and elegant lady, and if she says she can't wield a 15 kg spear, then it's fair to take her word for it.

Nowhere has anyone said that "a woman can't wield a 15 kg spear". I am a woman who can wield a 15 kg spear. Not very adroitly, sure, but I don't have proper training with spears.

But I assure you I can kick Phoenix's butt.

There are some sexist comments in AA but not in this case though. In Turnabout Sisters:

Turnabout Sisters wrote:
Gumshoe:
Loss of blood due to being struck by a blunt object, sir! The murder weapon was a statue of "The Thinker" found next to the body, sir! It was heavy enough to be a deadly weapon, even in a girl's hands, sir!

Also in Recipe for Turnabout. Not really particularly sexist though but Jean Armstrong is considered an offensive stereotype for gays. The localization team had a hard time dealing with this as discussed in Janet Hsu's blog.

With that said, I intended the comment as a joke on political correctness (I guess reading "Politically Correct Bed Time Stories" has its downsides). But still I apologize if in some way it offended people. :larry:

the blog entry is here if you haven't seen it: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjecti ... never-knew

A Kirby and AA fan

Kessler wrote:
If we go by the timeline of the games, it's taking place in the future, a few months from now.

There's no need for nitpicking it quite like that. =P Compared to 15 years ago, I would say a few months from now qualifies as "present day"
Besides, I was referring to the anime, naturally

AAI2bestAA wrote:
There are some sexist comments in AA but not in this case though. In Turnabout Sisters:

Turnabout Sisters wrote:
Gumshoe:
Loss of blood due to being struck by a blunt object, sir! The murder weapon was a statue of "The Thinker" found next to the body, sir! It was heavy enough to be a deadly weapon, even in a girl's hands, sir!

There's nothing sexist about saying a girl has a weaker physique than a guy. Sure, there may be exceptions, but in 99.9% of the cases a girl (notice it says girl, not lady or woman) is weaker than a man. (And heck, even women are generally weaker than men)
That's not sexist. That's biology.

Kessler wrote:
With that said, I intended the comment as a joke on political correctness (I guess reading "Politically Correct Bed Time Stories" has its downsides). But still I apologize if in some way it offended people. :larry:

I don't think people are offended. They just want to dispel any misconceptions about sexism

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think it makes more sense that Gumshoe was referring to Maya's age, not her gender. Maya's 17, so still a girl.

And I was going through the thread of the first anime episode in which a review from another site was posted, calling Mia Fey an affront to all women. I, too, wish her entire life story was told in the first episode for the feminists' sake.

A Kirby and AA fan

MBr wrote:
calling Mia Fey an affront to all women

Wait, what? How was/is she an affront to all women? Did the review mention that?

Gettin' Old!

Yeah I'd always thought Mia was a pretty strong character and couldn't see anything horrible to a feminist cause in her character.

I mean some might say her fanservicy design diminishes a bit from her character but to call her "an affront to all women" over that seems nonsense.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

A Kirby and AA fan

Pierre wrote:
Yeah I'd always thought Mia was a pretty strong character and couldn't see anything horrible to a feminist cause in her character.

I mean some might say her fanservicy design diminishes a bit from her character but to call her "an affront to all women" over that seems nonsense.

Yeah, that's literally the only thing I could think of... "Maybe it's the cleavage?"
It's interesting that the people who say she's offensive only see her as cleavage then and don't see the strong character behind it. If you think about it, they're the 'sexist' ones, who only see cleavage and nothing else when it's present

Programmer

Do note that so far she has only been in one episode. Or two if you count the channeling. It's going to be a fair number of episodes before we see her again.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Page 1 of 2 [ 44 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo