Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

Episode 16 "Reunion, and Turnabout - 3rd Trial"Topic%20Title

This is a general discussion thread for the sixteenth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Reunion, and Turnabout - 3rd Trial".
Re: Episode 16 "Reunion, and Turnabout - 3rd Trial"Topic%20Title

Pretty good episode, putting aside my general issues with the series (animation, sound, directing, etc.)

I'm liking that the show is finally not just copying the games 1:1 (well, excluding a couple of bad directorial decisions), and this attempt is a lot more successful than the last case as of right now. I have a bit more hope it can end on a high note this time.

7/10

What's between the bread?

Kinda surprised they're not including the magatama even remotely. Curious if that'll just flat out not appear in the anime or if they'll eventually introduce it but only really have it come into play in 2-4 or something, aside from, say, a possible intro in 2-3.

Solid episode, I continue to love how likeable and kinda sweet they make the side characters like Lotta, who basically are against Phoenix but later feel like crap when they realize they're in the wrong. Pearl is also still a complete ball of adorable.

Programmer

One scene in and there is already an inconsistency. The scene with Phoenix and Pearl has a glaring problem! The lunchboxes disappeared.

In all seriousness, the issue is that they completely replaced the pshyche locks for Pearl with Phoenix asking really nicely. It was supposed to be a big secret due to how embaresing the situation is for her. Now she spills just by being asked nicely? Come on.

And now Lotta is the one to spill the beans of Ini's surgery? They wrote out a most interesting character there!

And they ruined the mood of Ini's locks too. Besides replacing them that is. The locks had a key topic change that just doesn't happen here.

But I do have to say that it is nice to see some genuine Mother/Daughter interactions.

I just wish that they'd stop writing out key moments. Every pshyche lock was important here. They keep cutting so many corners that they miss key character arcs. The thing with Mia being uncooperative was important.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

The Law 'Shark'

The narrative lack of the magatama is questionable, but I feel like they simply didn't know how to implement it in an anime environment...and considering how this anime can fail with even some of the simpler scenes in that regard, I feel like it's a choice that simply can't be helped here. It's a disappointing exclusion, and certainly a point against them...but I suppose I can't quite see how you can easily add the magatama to something as dynamic as a fully-fleshed anime environment and have it fit, whereas the gameplay version of the magatama works more naturally in the 2D landscape.

Eh, a definite negative element for sure but it is what it is.
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Programmer

Thing is, they flat out can't remove it. The stories depend on it. Sure, they are covering for now, but the magatama itself is a plot point in several stories. There is the black locks in the later games. But that's not an immediate concern. No, the immediate concern is 2-4, an episode that they will be adapting. It was a key point there that Phoenix asked and didn't get any locks.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

The Law 'Shark'

I feel like if there was going to be an initial inclusion of the magatama, however, it would be natural to have it here where it's literally introduced via the games...I COULD be wrong, but the fact is I feel like they'll simply substitute the magatama for new conversational exchanges. Considering the in-game magatama is (at its core as a plot device at least) literally just a way to extract the right information at the right time, that singular result in itself is far easier for them to hone in on than everything that the magatama brings with it as a game mechanic.

Is it a good choice? Probably not - I agree that it's a critical omission, but that seems to be the direction they've taken for the anime...we'll have to see though.
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Racing through the sky like a Missile

henke37 wrote:
One scene in and there is already an inconsistency. The scene with Phoenix and Pearl has a glaring problem! The lunchboxes disappeared.

Hey, if they made Angel Starr disappear into the ether, why not the lunchboxes?

Quote:
In all seriousness, the issue is that they completely replaced the pshyche locks for Pearl with Phoenix asking really nicely. It was supposed to be a big secret due to how embaresing the situation is for her. Now she spills just by being asked nicely? Come on.

Yeah, but to be fair, it's been this way for every one of Nick's interrogations throughout this anime. It's too bad this method of "speedrunning" through the game is a little on the dull side. As integral to the games as the Psyche-locks are, the anime will always have a way to make their characters spill. Shame, really. These locks are one of the most recognizable motifs of the series. I was hoping they'd make it into the opening or ending (especially the ending; those lyrics are actually kinda depressing), but their complete absence is disappointing, to say the least.

Quote:
And now Lotta is the one to spill the beans of Ini's surgery? They wrote out a most interesting character there!

I'm not sure a children's TV show is ready for that "director". I have to admit the image of him groping the air while Nick talks to him could be amusing, but then we'd have live screenshots of someone groping at something and Nick happens to be standing there.

Does this mean we won't be visiting the clinic at all, then? I figure the bit about Franziska getting shot is important enough so Edgeworth gets to shine, but I have a feeling they won't write in Phoenix's visit to Franziska. Then again, it was a detour and Nick just got a face full of whiplash. At least she'll still have her dramatic return to court later. I can't see them writing that out without running into worse problems.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I do wonder if the magatama will ever be included, because 2-4 showed that is isn't 100% perfect.

Spoiler: Then again, in 2-4
Phoenix interrogates Engarde after his suspicions begin to grow. In this case, the magatama wasn't 100% necessary.

What's between the bread?

I'll defend the lack of magatama here so far in that it makes more sense to include it in the game than in the show, at least at this point. Phoenix can figure out everything he needs by careful investigation and simply being kind of Pearl. Sure it doesn't exactly capture how guarded some of the secrets are, but again, when you need to be brief, this works.

2-4 is absolutely still going to be an issue though as I can't see that case being as effective without it. Really hoping they introduce it in 2-3 or something so its set up for 2-4. Could have Pearl introduce it to Phoenix in 2-4 but setting it up a case in advance might be better.

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

WildSandwich wrote:
I'll defend the lack of magatama here so far in that it makes more sense to include it in the game than in the show, at least at this point. Phoenix can figure out everything he needs by careful investigation and simply being kind of Pearl. Sure it doesn't exactly capture how guarded some of the secrets are, but again, when you need to be brief, this works.

2-4 is absolutely still going to be an issue though as I can't see that case being as effective without it. Really hoping they introduce it in 2-3 or something so its set up for 2-4. Could have Pearl introduce it to Phoenix in 2-4 but setting it up a case in advance might be better.

Whilst I am of no particular opinion when it comes to the presence of the magatama in 2-4, if they are to introduce it, it must absolutely be set up in a previous case. If it's introduced in 2-4 and then immediately proven ineffective it won't be as shocking as intended. To be honest, if they were to introduce it, 2-2 would have been best, as it would have set a precedent of the magatama working. Merely case 2-3 before it fails in 2-4 seems lacklustre.

Dragongirl

RoyalTanki wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for the sixteenth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Reunion, and Turnabout - 3rd Trial".

Background stories, Morgan Fey's selfishness, and I feel so bad for Pearl...It's Phoenix Wright to the rescue for Maya Fey once again!
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

A Kirby and AA fan

I've been thinking since yesterday for what to say on this episode, but I've mostly come up blank. It was a decent episode. Yeah, it's a bit sad that the magatama is gone. Though, to be fair, if I didn't know any better, it also didn't feel like something was missing in this episode. It was all just... fine. Nothing too spectacular.

Pearl was adorable as always. And I did like seeing Lotta's more human side. Though, that wasn't exclusive to the anime; it happened in the game, too.
Spoiler:
And Lotta hiding in the clothing box served as a hint where Ini was hiding

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

It's funny, my brother hadn't really cared much for Maya or Pearl based on what little he saw from them in the games, but he can't get enough of them here.

Also, on the one hand, I like that the story is taking some narrative changes from the games; however, the court segments still feel so rushed that the viewer barely has enough time to understand the contradictions, even in hindsight. All in all, a good episode though.

The cape is self-fluttering

Don't have a lot to comment on for the episode itself, but I have to say it really makes my heart hurt for Pearl. She's fiercely loyal to her family, but she's being used by the one person who should love her the most. And no matter how the trial turns out, she'll end up losing someone she cares about.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Ex Metu Veritas

Maybe it's for the best they removed the Magatama, some of its appearances in 3-2 and 3-5 were downright nonsensical.

A Kirby and AA fan

RA Kaiparahbat wrote:
Maybe it's for the best they removed the Magatama, some of its appearances in 3-2 and 3-5 were downright nonsensical.

Not sure which appearances you're talking about, but if that were the case, they just could've removed the magatama influence in those particular scenes instead of removing the magatama outright
Nah, I think they simply removed it because it's more difficult to pull off in an anime visually and it also doesn't make much sense outside of a game context. It also would cost precious time to implement it

Ex Metu Veritas

Nurio wrote:
RA Kaiparahbat wrote:

Not sure which appearances you're talking about, but if that were the case, they just could've removed the magatama influence in those particular scenes instead of removing the magatama outright
Nah, I think they simply removed it because it's more difficult to pull off in an anime visually and it also doesn't make much sense outside of a game context. It also would cost precious time to implement it

Agreed. I'm hoping that in the future it'll have the effect of making Nick more competent, instead of relying on a magic lie detector he'll just be good at reading people. Or may be the info will just get handed to him.

Anyway the moments in 3-2 and 3-5 I meant were
Spoiler:
The introduction of the Magatama, where Luke Atmey hides how he was knocked out while he was on watch. Except neither the watch nor knock out occurred.

The other moment is when 'Iris' speaks about her movements to Nick, revealing Dahlia was channelled. But since it was Dahlia pretending to be Iris the whole time the entire explanation of 'I never left the temple while my sister crossed the bridge.' was completely false.

A Kirby and AA fan

Ohh! Now that you mention it, I do remember that! Yeah, that's not just nonsensical, it's a plothole!
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo