Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 1[ 14 posts ]

Episode 18: "Turnabout Big Top - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

Master of sharp things!

This is a general discussion thread for the eighteenth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Big Top - 1st Trial".

Summary wrote:
The ringmaster of a circus is found dead, so Phoenix must defend the flying magician charged in his murder.

Re: Episode 18: "Turnabout Big Top - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

What the heck was that monkey part?? It was sooo bizarre.

Rest of the episode was good. Looks like they rushed through Ben's testimony out-of-trial in 2 minutes, I'm fine with that.

Anyone else notice Maya's arm partially disappeared behind a layer when they're going over evidence with Gumshoe? I don't really get too nitpicky about animation, but that was a pretty blatant error.

No Magatama for the anime, I guess. </3 :(

The Law 'Shark'

It's certainly a really glaring omission - and how they obtain the information the magatama reveals instead just tends to be overly rushed scenes as though they hope nobody notices.
I like the anime, but it's a little bit of a downer to see that something used so prolifically in vital scenes has all but disappeared.

This episode was okay, but...yeah, it sure goes by quickly!
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Hey, so... Phoenix was wearing his goofy, pink "RYU" shirt. Wow, Phoenix. Couldn't find anything better in the closet?

I noticed the weird animation with Maya, too. There were a few good and bad art and animation going on in some places in the episode. That monkey Phoenix one is especially peculiar. Actually, the art/animation seemed to get funky whenever Money was there.

I like the portrayal of the main characters in this case. Ben, Moe, Regina, the Ringmaster, and Max are all more or less what I expected them to sound like. Interested in what Acro will be like.

It's great to see those small moments with Phoenix and Maya. It's not a big deal, but I'm a little sad that Pearl isn't with them here, not even for the circus show. She's definitely not a major player in 2-3, so I can understand why. Still, wouldn't it be better for Maya to take care of her rather than say in Kurain Village where she currently has no mother to raise her?

Overall, a decent start to 2-3. The confrontation with Ben was a tad rushed, but I was okay with it. A-1's reproducing the sprite animations decently. It was fun to see Ben explode and recombine his parts. That's the Ace Attorney magic right there. Without Psyche Locks, Phoenix doesn't have to backtrack and so the story keeps going rather than zigzag back and forth between areas of interest.

Programmer

My only complaint is that Trilo's punches didn't have the punchiness to them from the games. In the game they are really snappy and sharp, but here they are just barely slower and in general not as snappy.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Dragongirl

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for the eighteenth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Big Top - 1st Trial".

What better time to be at the circus more than shows, but also to solve a murder mystery too.

Summary wrote:
The ringmaster of a circus is found dead, so Phoenix must defend the flying magician charged in his murder.

My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

A Kirby and AA fan

I wasn't disappointed by this episode at all. I remember in the games, Maya was swooning over Max, Phoenix was extra sarcastic, and Maya was extra mean to Phoenix
But in the anime, it all seemed better, actually. Maya was just simply excited over seeing Max, Phoenix seemed to be his regular self, and Maya actually helped Phoenix in her own Maya way. The anime was strangely less out-of-character than the game, in my opinion!

Yeah, they went through the investigation rather quickly, and they pulled Trilo's testimony out of court, so I feel like the next episode will be a short court and then have a short investigation.

Spoiler: Case 2-3
Is it me or did they introduce Max's bust too early and way too obvious? Maybe it's because I know the way it's being used, but seeing it so prominently in the episode made me wonder if people won't be able to figure out the whole case now

QBnoYouko wrote:
It's great to see those small moments with Phoenix and Maya. It's not a big deal, but I'm a little sad that Pearl isn't with them here, not even for the circus show. She's definitely not a major player in 2-3, so I can understand why. Still, wouldn't it be better for Maya to take care of her rather than say in Kurain Village where she currently has no mother to raise her?

Yeah, that's how I took it in the games. That Phoenix and Maya took care of Pearl mostly after the events of 2-2, because there wasn't really anybody to take care of her anymore, and that that is also the reason we saw so much of her in the games

The Law 'Shark'

Maybe they left her at home to watch TV whilst investigating...Lotta coulda been babysitting or something. :P
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

[quote="Nurio"]Yeah, they went through the investigation rather quickly, and they pulled Trilo's testimony out of court, so I feel like the next episode will be a short court and then have a short investigation.

Spoiler: Case 2-3
Is it me or did they introduce Max's bust too early and way too obvious? Maybe it's because I know the way it's being used, but seeing it so prominently in the episode made me wonder if people won't be able to figure out the whole case now
Spoiler:
I didn't mind seeing Max's bust early... not that I'm into that sort of thing.

I think I understand how you feel, though. 2-2 in the anime revealed Ini's eyes during that scene with Morgan and I thought that was a dead giveaway that she did it. Granted, it's kind of obvious to begin with. Then once Lotta shows Phoenix the license and tells him about the surgery, it all sorta comes into place.

I imagine Max's bust won't come into play until the last part of this case.

Programmer

It is one thing to mention elements. It's another to properly introduce them. Here the pacing doesn't give the bust importance, which for once is helpful.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

The only thing I really wanted to see from this episode was Money vs Nick and it was an improvement (aside from Maya's role, but meh). I am satisfied.

This one was actually a decent episode. A major issue with this case when I first played it was the awkward pacing and lack of general direction to the investigation segments. However, given how much the anime likes to hop around quickly, that wasn't an issue here anymore. It came with its own host of rapid-fire pacing issues, but it's old news.

Now watch as the next episode returns to the static animation of the courtroom sequences and everything feels bogged down again. Given how they've cut down time on this case, I see another three-parter before the final case with 4-5 episodes. I'm hoping for 5; Farewell My Turnabout is one case that deserves to take an easier and more fulfilling pace.

The 2-hour stage adaptation was pretty darn good. And the best case from the first cour, Turnabout Samurai, also got a stage adaptation. I think I see a recurring trend here.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Kirby and AA fan

henke37 wrote:
It is one thing to mention elements. It's another to properly introduce them. Here the pacing doesn't give the bust importance, which for once is helpful.

Sorta. Though, I do think they focused on it a bit too much. If we just saw it in the photograph for a moment and see it being thrown at Phoenix, that's fine. But then suddenly Maya had to focus it and go like "Hey. Isn't this Max?"

My only response to that was "Hmm! I wonder if it'll have significance!"

The cape is self-fluttering

lol @ Phoenix's sweater and Max breaking down twice

Was also surprised Max's bust was introduced this early.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo