Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 1[ 12 posts ]

Episode 21: "Farewell, My Turnabout: 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

A Kirby and AA fan

This is a general discussion thread for the twenty-first episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Farewell, My Turnabout: 1st Trial".

Summary wrote:
Summary pending

Re: Episode 21: "Farewell, My Turnabout: 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

A Kirby and AA fan

I liked this episode. It had the right amount of drama and suspense, and I think it did everything as well as it could, given the amount of time it has.

I did think it was strange they replaced Lotta with Larry. Any idea why they did that? Maybe to make the character appearances more balanced? So that Larry actually does appear in the JfA part of the anime, and so that Lotta doesn't appear twice?

迷探偵

They did the same in the stage play of Farewell, My Turnabout actually. It's probably for balance in role division: this is the finale of the series and Larry has a bigger role overall in the series, so it fits better to have him back here for the final showdown instead of Lotta.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Programmer

I suspect that they have a plan for Larry and the signal samurai trinkets. Still, it's a bit odd to change characters like that.

But in general, they are doing a really good job here. They take care to enhance the boring parts and expand upon the interesting parts the game just couldn't show well.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

This was a pretty good start to the case, but the Larry insertion is odd as hell.

What's between the bread?

Figures Larry would replace Lotta, in some ways they're quite similar. Obviously a bit odd that Larry's now a tabloid reporter, but I'm guessing he works for something like a less prolific TMZ or something. Larry did work a series of odd jobs after all.

Unsurprisingly the magatama didn't suddenly become important, so with that in mind, I think the Matt Engarde scene worked well. Yes, using a gameplay mechanic in the game to show the character was telling the truth (if not really the whole truth) was super effective, but since that mechanic was ditched for pacing reasons this worked well. Not terribly shocked they scrapped how Edgeworth first appeared and Gumshoe being fired too since Gumshoe getting sacked doesn't add a hell of a lot (aside from showing Edgeworth cares about him perhaps and showing just how loyal to Phoenix Gumshoe now is), and Edgeworth's return in this case was a heck of a lot more dramatic than the just sort of, "Hey, I'm here," in the game.

They also did a good job capitalizing on the animation by having Nickel Samurai and Jamming Ninja interact a bit and have Oldbag be reacted to a bit more specifically. Heck, speaking of the animation, I think this might have been one of the more on-model episodes, though I may have missed some of the usual glaring issues there.

I do wish Pearl and Phoenix had talked about Maya's kidnapping a bit more but I guess for the time they had they did fine.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

The alien is scaring me, guys.

Goodness, this episode was cringy as heck, but it wasn't the bad kind of cringe. Knowing a few things already does enhance the experience of rewatching it; though it may be because of how well written this case is in the first place. I do get a feeling I'm just watching the stage play again, except without the extra characters. (Just a bit disappointed didn't get to see Larry and Oldbag duke it out, but eh.)

Despite the pacing, the flow of the episode was pretty solid. Nothing felt too out of place or jumped around like in previous episodes. Usually the start of a case isn't too bad in the anime, as most of investigation day 1 in the games is about wandering around half-lost. There's plenty of room for improvement, so there's plenty to improve and rewrite here. I just hope the rest of this case keeps up this decent level of quality.

I have never come upon a rendition of the Steel Samurai theme I didn't like, but orchestral variations are best.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

i may not know much

What fuckity fuckin fuck fuck purpose does getting rid of the magatama serve? It's an integral part of the games, and the scene where Nick asks Engarde whether he killed the dude makes no fuckin sense without the magatama. Like Engarde's like "No I didn't kill him, you should just take my word for that." and Phoenix is just like "eh fair enough", even though he was blackmailed into defending the motherfucker. Like fuckin, anime Nick is a huge fuckin dunce jesus christ. Like I understand that the magatama may not translate THE BEST into the anime, but it'd probably turn out better than half the other bullshit changes they make in this shit show.

Also, the ending when Edgeworth said Franziska was already in surgery made no fuckin sense at all. It was like five minutes after she was shot. I know I'm probably nitpicking but hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Programmer

Prosecutors are powerful. They pulled a few strings. And by "they" I mean Edgeworth.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

A Kirby and AA fan

CaptainCanti wrote:
What fuckity fuckin fuck fuck purpose does getting rid of the magatama serve? It's an integral part of the games, and the scene where Nick asks Engarde whether he killed the dude makes no fuckin sense without the magatama. Like Engarde's like "No I didn't kill him, you should just take my word for that." and Phoenix is just like "eh fair enough", even though he was blackmailed into defending the motherfucker. Like fuckin, anime Nick is a huge fuckin dunce jesus christ. Like I understand that the magatama may not translate THE BEST into the anime, but it'd probably turn out better than half the other bullshit changes they make in this shit show.

Also, the ending when Edgeworth said Franziska was already in surgery made no fuckin sense at all. It was like five minutes after she was shot. I know I'm probably nitpicking but hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Count to 10.
Breathe in. Breathe out. =P

Spoiler:
The reason that Phoenix decided to defend Matt is because Matt showed a very convincing display of a good heart, even shedding a tear or two. It was very much the same thing he did for Will Powers, in fact.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

henke37 wrote:
Prosecutors are powerful. They pulled a few strings. And by "they" I mean Edgeworth.

The game in English (the original script) mentioned he may have taken her by the wrist off to the hospital himself, but I couldn't find the same in the Japanese or corrected English script. In all likelihood, he just called an ambulance and threw the resisting Franziska in there, which is a more acceptable image to me fsr.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The cape is self-fluttering

Not a bad episode.

Wasn't sure about the Larry -> Lotta switch, but in the end, it's not a huge deal. Story-wise, it could have been anybody. I did like the early meeting of Larry and Pearl.

It is a strange the magatama hasn't debuted, but honestly, I think it works better as a game mechanic. Matt's crocodile tears were just as effective; he is an actor, after all.

ADRIAN! Her outfit's a bit different from what I remember.

Oldbag's entrance, lol. I didn't realize the rat-a-tat-tat-etc sound effect was coming from her.

I jumped a little when Franziska got shot. I think it was the sound of the blood splatter.

I'm okay with how Edgeworth returned, sudden as it was. I'm guessing they'll take all the information you get from him pre-trial (in-game) and unload it during the courtroom session.

Spoiler: And it's wrong, but I laughed at this.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo