Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street » Great Exhibition (TGAA2)

Page 1 of 1[ 9 posts ]

DGS2 Names (puns, origins) (spoilers)Topic%20Title

迷探偵

I made a quick list of the puns and origins behind the names of the characters that appear in this game. I only wrote down the new names (the topic for the first game is here), and they are more-or-less in order of appearance. Note that I only wrote down things for the names I'm pretty sure of, or when Takumi or other staff members have explicitly explained where the name comes from. By the time you're doing deep character interpretations of character personalities in order to explain certain names, you're usually on a wrong track, as nine out of ten times, it'll turn out that Takumi simply named a character after someone he knows or something like that.

But yeah, there are still quite some names I'm not sure off, and I didn't write down all the locations, so I might get to that too.

Spoiler: Episode 1
村雨葉織 / Murasame Haori: From the traditional garment haori??
豆籾平太 /Mamemomi Heita: ?? For the initials ??

Spoiler: Episode 2
ウイリアム・エテンシー / William Petenshy: William comes from William Shakespeare. His surname comes from petenshi (ペテン師), “swindler”.
デカーゴ・ミターマン / Decargo Mieterman: Decargo is a portmanteau of dekai, “big” (でかい) and ago, “chin” (顎). “Mieter” most likely comes from “meter” (in this case, either the gas meter, or the meter in poetry).
アルタモン夫人 / Mrs. Altamont: Altamont is a character in the chronologically final Sherlock Holmes short story, His Last Bow.
ダンカン・ロス / Duncan Ross: Duncan Ross is a character in the Sherlock Holmes story The Red-Headed League.
セルデン / Selden: Selden is a character from the Sherlock Holmes novel The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Spoiler: Episode 3
エライダ・メニンゲン: / Elyder Meningen: erai dame ningen (えらいダメ人間) means “incredibly bad person”. Also likely a reference to Princess Clotilde Lothman von Saxe-Meiningen, a character from A Scandal in Bohemia (see kb0312's post)
ベンヤミン・ドビンボー / Benjamin Dobinbough: Benjamin might be taken from Benjamin Franklin? Do binbō (ド貧乏) means “incredibly poor”.
トビー / Toby: From the dog Sherlock Holmes uses in his investigations in the Sherlock Holmes novel The Sign of Four/
ゴッツ / Gotts: Short for Gottsreich. Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein is a character from the Sherlock Holmes short story A Scandal in Bohemia.
コネット・ローザイク / Conette Rozaic: Conetto comes from the verb koneru (捏ねる), “to knead”. Rozaic comes from the word rōzaiku (蝋細工), which means “waxworks”.
ジョン・クレイ / John Clay: John Clay is a character from the Sherlock Holmes story The Red-Headed League.
ルンバ・マルマッチ / Lumba Marmacci: The name Lumba/runba (ルンバ)is an rearranged barūn (バルーン), or “balloon”. The maru in marumacchi might come from maru (丸), “round”.
コートニー・シス (旧姓: サイモン) / Courtney Sithe (née Simon): Sithe comes from the verb shisu (死す), “to die”.
イーノック・ドレッバー / Enoch Drebber: Enoch Drebber is a character from the first Sherlock Holmes novel A Study in Scarlet.
プロフェッサー / Professor: Most likely a reference to Professor James Moriarty, “the Napoleon of Crime” from the Sherlock Holmes stories.
クリムト・バンジークス / Klimt van Zieks: From artist Gustav Klimt???
亜双義玄真 / Asōgi Genshin: ?? Shares the character “truth” (真) with his son. The character gen (玄) can mean “dark”, or “unclear”, so perhaps his name points to the “unclear truth”, as opposed to Kazuma’s “one truth”.

Spoiler: Episode 4/5
慈獄政士郎 / Jigoku Seishirō: Jigoku, when written as 地獄, means “hell”.
エブリデイ・ミテルモン / Everyday Mittlemont: Probably from the English “everyday” and miteiru mono (見ている者), “person who watches”, as a reference to his former occupation.
アンナ・ミテルモン / Anna Mittlemont: Surname taken from her husband.
ハリー・バリケード / Harry Barricade: Prison director, so a barricade?
ヒュー・ブーン / Hugh Boone: Hugh Boone is a character from the Sherlock Holmes short story The Man With The Twisted Lip.
ゴシップ / Gossip: From his occupation.
ビーナス / Venus: From the Roman goddess of beauty.
サンドイッチ / Sandwich: From his occupation as a sandwich man.
モーリス・デ・キルコ / Maurice de Quilco: de Quilco comes from dekiru ko (出来る子), “capable child”.
マルコ・ド・ジッコ / Marco d’Gicho: d’Gicho: d’Gicho comes from “dojikko[/i] (ドジッ子), “clumsy girl”.
マリア・グーロイネ / Maria Goullyone: Goullyone comes from guroi ne (グロいね), “grotesque, isn’t it?”.
マブドフ・ストロガノフ / Mabtov Stroganov: The surname comes from his brother. Mabtov comes from the tofu dish mabōtōfu.

ホテル・バンドール / Hotel Bandoor: The Hotel Bandō (formerly known as Bandō Hotel) is a location in the main series.(see kb0312's post)
アシタール寄宿学校 / Ashtar Boarding School: Ashitar was the name of a meteorite that featured in Takumi's game Ghost Trick (known as Temsik in the localized version) (see kb0312's post)

Spoiler: Bonus Episode (Japan)
袖ノ下正 / Sodenoshita Tadashi (no official reading for this name is given; other possible readings for the name include Masashi, Masaru, Akira, Makoto and more): Sodenoshita (袖の下) means 'bribery'. The last two characters (下正) almost look like fusei (不正), 'dishonest'/'corruption'.
亜内武士 / Auchi Takeshi: The name was chosen to resemble his father's name in appearance. Taketsuchi (武土) VS Takeshi (武士).

Spoiler: Bonus Episode (England)
ポラン・マスグレイブ / Polan Musgrave: Charanporan (ちゃらんぽらん) means 'haphazard'/'done on the spur of the moment'. Musgrave comes from the Sherlock Holmes short story The Musgrave Ritual.
チャラン・マスグレイブ: Charan Musgrave: Charanporan (ちゃらんぽらん) means 'haphazard'/'done on the spur of the moment'. Musgrave comes from the Sherlock Holmes short story The Musgrave Ritual.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Re: DGS2 Names (puns, origins) (spoilers)Topic%20Title

Mia Payne

Are the English names said as first name last name? When I Played, I had help with the language, so I didn't pay attention

Like is it actually "Benjamin Dobinbough" or is it like "Dobinbough Benjamin" or do they use honorifics?

迷探偵

All the Western names are given in Western order. Different honorifics are used by different characters. I.e. Holmes uses the English word "mister", while Susato addresses most people by either given or last name + sama.

I added the names for the bonus episodes too.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Knight of the Court

A few comments:

Spoiler: Episode 1
Mamemomi might be from "memo" or "memoru" (Japanese-English fusion verb for "to write a memo"). He uses the term "mememomi memo" a few times during the case.

Spoiler: Episode 2
Decargo Mieterman also has another pun: Mieterman could come from "Mitta man", which in Japanese could mean either "man who saw it" or "saw it all".

Courtney's maiden name Simon could come from "Shimon", which could mean either "fingerprints" (referencing her forensics role) or "gate of death".

Dobinbough could also come from "bou", boy. His theme is called "Science Boy.

As a side note, if I was a localizer I'd call Elyder Meningen "Riley Badmann".

Something something please localize DGS.

メニンゲン(Meningen) Possible reference: Clotilde Lothman von Saxe-Meiningen

Spoiler: Episode 4
アシタール寄宿学校 : アシタール = Temsik (Ghost Trick reference)

ホテル・バンドール : ホテル・バンドー = Gatewater (Imperial) Hotel

迷探偵

Nice, added them to the opening post!

Knight of the Court

One thought on a Case 4/5 character name.

Spoiler: DGS2-4 and 5
This is just a theory, since "Seishiro" is a semi-common Japanese name, but Seishirō Itagaki was the name of Japan's War Minister during World War II, who was hanged for war crimes. Considering this guy's (Seishirou Jigoku) last name is literally "Hell", they were probably going for a "Names To Run Away From Really Fast" thing with him, so this origin isn't out of the question.

Something something please localize DGS.

Missile

So apparently Shu san already talked about the naming on the official blog. Someone has compiled it here:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/game/gyakusai/da ... _dgs2.html

Spoiler:
I’m not going to translate it all. But he said he wanted to try to get lots of ‘m’ sounds in Mamemomi’s name. And that the name doesn’t have any particular meaning. I was surprised because I thought it might have meant ‘bean’ (which can be used as a metaphor for small/trivial things) + ‘squabble’ = ‘squabble over little things’. Guess I was trying to read too much into it.

I kinda get the feeling that all of the best puns have already been used up over the many games, so Shu san has started to pick names more based on sounds and obscure references?

ouboros wrote:
So apparently Shu san already talked about the naming on the official blog. Someone has compiled it here:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/game/gyakusai/da ... _dgs2.html

It's from "Nintendo Dream 2017.10"

ouboros wrote:
I kinda get the feeling that all of the best puns have already been used up over the many games, so Shu san has started to pick names more based on sounds and obscure references?

I'll never forget "Kitaki Takita" from AA4.
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street » Great Exhibition (TGAA2)