Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 2 of 2[ 61 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Favorite Ace Attorney character and why?Topic%20Title

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Phoenix. Picking the main protagonist of the series perhaps isn't all that unique, but he's one of my favorite characters of all time. The guy's been through more crap then anyone should ever go through, and yet he still manages to get through it all and protect the innocent, which makes him a hero. But at the same time, while being a hero, he's still someone who's very easy to connect with. He's sarcastic (at least inwardly), a bit of a pushover, and occasionally downright silly, all things that make him seem very realistic instead of just being set up as the prototypical video game protagonist who has everything together and who never shows any common personality traits that people can connect to.

The other thing that makes Phoenix my favorite character is just how much work Capcom puts towards developing his character. Plenty of people out there hated AJ for what it did to Phoenix, but I for one thought it was great (if not a little depressing), simply because it was a very realistic and depressing (but incredibly well done) portrayal of how someone might react to going from a successful career where they're recognized for almost being a hero, to a disgraced has been who's ridiculed for a crime they didn't commit. If Phoenix's personality had stayed the exact same in those seven years, that would have been incredibly unrealistic. No one could go through everything Phoenix went through after that trial and expect to remain the same.

Instead, Phoenix changes in ways that don't necessarily make him a better person, but instead simply allow him to cope with everything that's gone on. He becomes more protective in order to keep safe the daughter that's been dropped into his care suddenly. He disappears from the spotlight in order to investigate Kristoph Gavin's actions and to find out the truth about the forgery. He drops all of his personality quirks and most of his outward emotion in order to disguise what he's thinking from his fake friend and others who might be out to hurt him or his daughter. His moral compass suffers quite a bit, to the point where he's willing to commit crimes in order to ensure the conviction of someone he knows is guilty. These are all drastic changes from Phoenix as a lawyer, but they're realistic and easy to connect to, even if you don't agree with the way he went about things. Realism isn't always a good aspect for video games, but in terms of character development, it's absolutely essential.

Anyways, this is one of my biggest concerns about DD at the moment, which would be them suddenly reverting Phoenix back to T&T Phoenix. After all he's been through, it would be incredibly unreasonable to think that just regaining his badge would magically transform Phoenix from what the past seven years made him back into the happy go lucky character he was during the original trilogy. I certainly expect him to be more similar to lawyer Phoenix than he was in AJ, because a huge weight is now off his chest and Kristoph is in jail to stay, but he can't go back to being the near dork he was in the original trilogy. That sudden change of personality would be pretty unrealistic, and it would kind of lessen the impact of some of the traumatic events in AJ.

I don't KNOW anything but from the looks of the trailers and such it certainly seems like he's more of a 'boss' type now. And I don't mean like last boss in a video game, I mean like he's acting like a real boss in charge of his own company.

That said, they have kept going on and on about how new players should be able to pick up the game and still understand more or less everything, and that worries me.

Stole a TARDIS, landed here.

Mine would be :maya:
She's a steadfast friend, a caring caring cousin, and a fangirl. And though I haven't finished playing the third game, it seem s there has been character growth. She doesn't seem as immature as in the first one.

A second would be :gumshoe:
He may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but he tries.

[Whip the cream!]

Gumshoe - I liked him from the beginning and he was my first favourite. I find him extremely charming, endearing.
Franziska - She definitely grew on me. First I found her rather annoying, then I found her fascinating (and I got so moved when she showed vulnerability!), now I absolutely adore her.
Godot - I wouldn't want to spend time with him if he was a real person! But he is extremely fascinating, flaws and all.
Edgeworth - I love his character development!

There are a lot of character I like, though - and I bet Phoenix and Maya would be hilarious to spend some time with if they were real persons. And such a lot of memorable minor characters...
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The video game boy; the one who wins

Apollo and Edgeworth, all the way.

I'll start with Edgeworth. While he was fun as the snide, bowing prosecutor in 1-2 and 1-3, what came after that really elevated (no pun intended) him 100 times for me. That's when he went from a character to a person. He has a great story, and his charcter development is the best I've ever seen in a video game character (not counting the GK games and DD, not because I don't like him in them, but I wasn't that pleased with how they portrayed him in the GK games, and there's not much to say about him in DD; he did what he should, no more and no less). I love how he's not only smug, competent, intelligent, and cool, but also awkward, cold and somewhat insensitive, it just blends together so well and makes him a relatable character. And I cannot stress how much I love that they let him stay like that - it would be so easy to have him come out of his shell and be warm and gentle after having his childhood trauma solved, but he didn't, because that's not him (and to me it doesn't seem like von Karma had that much of an influence on his personality - from what we see of Phoenix' flashbacks and the way Gregory speaks of him, he seems to have been pretty much the same as now as a kid). He is generally appreciated as a cool guy, but that's not all there is about him, rather that's a fairly small portion of what I love about him. He is really fun, both intentionally and unintentionally, the latter mainly caused by his stiffness and lack of social skills, which creates room for hilarity to ensue, but it also makes him more realistic with these bad sides of him. To avoid going around in circles and say the same things one hundred times, I'll finish with saying that playing as him in 3-5 was one of the best things ever and it makes me wish Takumi had written AAI. His inner monologue was awesome and hilarious and fit his character perfectly.

Then we have Apollo, who I thought I was going to hate. Little did I know. I don't have a strive to be "cool", nor am I as easily flustered as he is, but other than that, I really see myself in him in so many ways, and through the entire AJ I though about how much I wanted to be his buddy. Contrary to popular belief I preferred him in AJ over DD (even though he was great in DD as well) and I really don't understand why somany people thought we didn't get to know him enough in AJ. The first introductory case with a new PoV is always a little awkward, but even so something must have clicked in me while playing 4-1, because in 4-2 when I got to WAA I spend some time clicking on random stuff in the office just to hear his comments. There and then I started to think he's super. I love his deadpan snarking (his sarcasm is the best of the sarcastic narrators, in my opinion, especially as it's kind of his signature character trait). I love Chords of steel. I love how he desperately wants to be taken seriously and I love that he has bad sides that makes sense, such as sometimes being overly harsh. Heck, even the fact that he's 1.65 makes him even more awesome to me. That and it feels like he's not made to be awesome, the way you could argue for example Edgeworth or Godot is, or a hero like Phoenix. He's a really relatable guy while being far from normal, and that what makes him awesome. Oh, and he claims to be good with hula hoops. HULA HOOPS. (Also, I recommend his "Personality" description on Ace Attorney Wikia, it's very thorough and ccurate and definitely makes him justice (no pun intended) with pin-pointing the different aspects of his personality).

Edit: And he punched Phoenix!
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Last edited by Going for Miles on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gardevoir lover

My favorite Ace attorney character has to be :sillytrucy:
I find her to be the most enjoyable assistant in the series.

Second favorite character would have to be :eh?: I miss this loveable oath in the later games.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Just one?

Spoiler: Miles Edgeworth
Even though he is my favorite character, I'm not going to write much about him. Everything that's needed to be said about this guy has been said. I will say that GK was alright to him. He was certainly portrayed better in 3-5 and GK made him out to be a little dull (and badass), I don't think it was a terrible representation of him. GK2 elevated him from "one of my favorites" to my absolute favorite

Spoiler: Damon Gant
Best. Villain. Ever

I kind of consider him the Walter White of the AA series. Gant was an absolutely deplorable man, but you can't help but love him. He started out as a good person who's hatred of criminals culminated in the SL-9 incident. "The road to bad is paved with good intentions" fits him perfectly. He masterfully manipulated everyone around him and he was even somewhat sympathetic

Plus, he was a complete bastard to take down in court. No matter how hard you tried, he'd just push back further and let you know that once everything was over, you'd be going down. He keeps his cool throughout everything and then realizes at the end (evidence law) that even he lost his touch with the law. I know I'm doing a bad job justifying this, but I can't really explain why I love him. He's just a fantastic character and a fantastic villain

Spoiler: Ema Skye (1-5)
When I first started the case, I rolled my eyes. She was a Maya clone. It was clear as day. The game lampshaded it.

Much to my shock, Ema completely surpassed Maya in every single category. I love assistants and I think that each one is fantastic and brings something new to the table. I think it's unfair to label everyone as a Maya clone just because they are a teenage girl with a passin for some profession and they have a dead parent (everybody in the series who's mentioned a parent besides Phoenix and Cody has a dead parent. Seriously). I'm not bashing Maya because she's great, but I generally think the other five assistants (excluding Athena) are better than her. Ema was the first taste of what to come

She's funny, smart, takes things seriously when they need to be, is relevant to the case at hand, and makes the game more fun. She actually brings something new to the table with the forensic science. She's the best. I honestly can't think of one thing about her character that I would change (in 1-5 at least. She was pretty bland in AJ and had a terrible role in the GK games)

Spoiler: Manfred Von Karma
I've talked about this guy so much that I'll keep it short: He's evil and he loves it. Also, while he only killed Gregory, he's by far ruined the most lives out of anyone in the series

Spoiler: Valant Gramarye
I love this guy. He might be one of the most relatable characters in the series despite his outlandish circumstances because everybody has been Valant at some point. He never had a chance to win. Magnifi was either going to give the rights to Zak or die and have them be lost forever. Valant lost the love of his life to his best friend and then he may have believed he killed her himself (I like to think that Valant felt Zak was the one who was guilty, or felt he deserved it since Zak constantly laughed about it). He never did anything wrong and got stuck in a shitty situation where he was going to live the rest of his life in misery, ultimately leading to his decision to frame Zak.

At the end, he turns himself in. Think about it. The final case could've made Trucy the victim (or an attempted murder victim) and have Valant be involved because he wanted the performance rights but he didn't hold any ill will towards her. He just accepted that he had to face his mistake and turned himself in

(I might edit the following later with explanations)
Kay Faraday
Yumihiko Ichiyanagi
The Judge
Calisto Yew
Phoenix Wright
Shi-Long Lang

Err-New I guess?

Quote:
Anyways, this is one of my biggest concerns about DD at the moment, which would be them suddenly reverting Phoenix back to T&T Phoenix. After all he's been through, it would be incredibly unreasonable to think that just regaining his badge would magically transform Phoenix from what the past seven years made him back into the happy go lucky character he was during the original trilogy. I certainly expect him to be more similar to lawyer Phoenix than he was in AJ, because a huge weight is now off his chest and Kristoph is in jail to stay, but he can't go back to being the near dork he was in the original trilogy. That sudden change of personality would be pretty unrealistic, and it would kind of lessen the impact of some of the traumatic events in AJ.

That is a good point, but I assumed that it was more than just losing his Badge that made Phoenix what he was in AJ (Which I also thought was a good direction). It was also a time when he was most lonelies. For whatever reasons (Which I have my own Headcanons for) Phoenix was abandoned by his friends for a long time.

And I kinda disagree as well. I always felt like the weight (Metaphorical) he had gained was loneliness and feeling of being thrown out like used trash. The Phoenix in DD is no longer just a plucky lucky Lawyer. He is a star and is recognized for his achievements (Which could have softened the pain)!

He is also more fatherly, more experienced and just less of a pushover.

He lost his edge that he had in AJ but I count that as something he had during a rough period in time. I count the core integrity and strength he gained during that time was something he retained. Yeah he makes goofy faces sometimes :nick-sweat: but thats because he has no Poker face unless things get real real.

Which is why I think things progress completely rationally in DD. The pathetic wiener becomes a Lawyer. Then a master. His arc is complete.

:godot: because he's the most well-developed character in the series. Nuff' said.

The execution is ready, Your Honor.

The Impossible Girl wrote:
Mine would be :maya:
She's a steadfast friend, a caring caring cousin, and a fangirl. And though I haven't finished playing the third game, it seem s there has been character growth. She doesn't seem as immature as in the first one.

A second would be :gumshoe:
He may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but he tries.

^^^ What she said. :maya: Word-for-word. :eh?:
The execution rests, Your Honor.

i may not know much

Gumshoe. I always love characters who are genuinely good and loyal. Gumshoe is usually pretty half-witted and sometimes even annoying, but is still one of the nicest characters in AA. I also love his relationship with Edgeworth because when they first met, Gumshoe had zero respect for him, but ended up respecting Edgeworth more than anyone else and becoming practically his best friend (if that's even possible).

Coffee loving prosecutor

Godot. His design is cool and it is really funny when he drinks cal.ly and suddenlh spkts out the coffee. I love his theme and his background. I feel bad for the guy. He is not a bad prosecutor eithe, but he is not the best at all. And pmus, he can summon coffee cups out of nowhere. Of course he has his flaws, but he is human after all. I can see why some people might not like him, though.

Second woukd be Kay Faraday. She is so nice and cute! And some lines with Edgeworth are hilarious.

Speaking of which, Edgeworth is pretty cool. Intelligent and a great prosecutor. And a total gentleman.

Lastly, Winston Payne. I honestly don't know why. There is not enough love for him.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Of course, my favourite is Athena.

She's funny, enthusiastic, and empathetic. I really enjoy how she uses her weakness as a child (her sensitive hearing) as a strength. Plus, her backstory is tragic and yet beautiful, and it really shows how caring and determined she is. The relationship between her and Phoenix reminds me of him and Mia, also.

I like her dynamic with Apollo and wouldn't mind if the next game focuses on them.

HenryJonesVictor wrote:
:godot: because he's the most well-developed character in the series. Nuff' said.

Having a tragic background does not make a well-developed character. (And just pointing out, a tragic background does not make a character good to begin with)

:edgeworth: Pretty sure I mentioned this guy before. He's a bit of an ass, but I like that about him. He's set on his job and does what he has to do - one reason why I found Phoenix' whining at him for throwing defendants into jail to be terrible. It's his JOB, he's doing what he's supposed to do. And he's absolutely right with "the guilty will always lie to not be found out" or whatever it was. His weaknesses are understandable and I can also understand his annoyance that they are his weaknesses. What does bug me is how they changed him in AAI...

:eh?: A good natured bumbler. He's just... an all-round nice guy. He's a Butt Monkey and always the one who make jokes about, but there's just something about his actions and personality that practically forces you to like him. I sure wish people would stop making jokes about cutting his salary, it kinda stopped being funny...

C-A

Coffee loving prosecutor

CatMuto wrote:
HenryJonesVictor wrote:

Having a tragic background does not make a well-developed character. (And just pointing out, a tragic background does not make a character good to begin with)

It doesn't but it can be a reason why people like the character. It is not about what makes a good character, but how do you like a character to be.

But regarding gumshoe, I agree. He is a nice guy. He might screw up sometimes, but he tries. I like him too.

But that's the thing, all that was said was "he's the most well-developed character". What about other people? They might not think so or aren't sure what exactly entails as "well-developed" so there was no reason WHY the character was considered so well-developed to the poster.

C-A

Winter Flag Trademark

MBr wrote:

Well, it's obvious, since your avatar has :athena: 's Picture. What about :simon: ?

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Gardevoir lover

:sillytrucy: I just find her really adorable, i can't really think of any other reason, maybe it's because i find her to be the least annoying of the assistants?

:think: I didn't really like him until i played the Investigations games, he's just so awesome. He gets some of the funniest lines in both hi's indoor voice and outdoor voice.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Ace Pointer wrote:
MBr wrote:

Well, it's obvious, since your avatar has :athena: 's Picture. What about :simon: ?

He's my second favourite prosecutor, next to Edgeworth. Blackquill is kind of hard for me to explain. He's got his own quirks and personality that separates him from the other prosecutors, and he's a fearsome opponent.

I ship him platonically with Athena. I don't see why so romantic and sexual Cykesquill is so popular. The age gap is too big for me. Well, the fandom likes to ship defense attorneys with their prosecutor rivals.

Simon x Franzsika is a ship that will end the world, though.
:franny: :simon:

~Die-Hard Gavinners Fan~

AHEM,

Well if mine doesn't seem obvious enough, I'll just state it for the court. KLAVIER GAVIN!
Siiigh, There are simply too many reasons why I absolutely adore this man, but maybe the root of it, is because he's always got a smile plastered on his face, and in reality I love people like that. :acro:

In second would be Uncle Ray~ I've always loved characters like him, and he was just too precious for words! Older guys who are affectionate, and aloof-yet-serious are always a big plus for me~
Rhythm Heaven+Ace Attorney. Uncle Ray and Klavier Gavin need to be in court together. <3

I'll go with Phoenix, too. I really like his inner sarcastic side, which is also incorporated by other characters you play with, such as Mia, Apollo and Edgeworth.

[Whip the cream!]

Simon Blackquill. The first I noticed about him when "meeting" him for the first time a little more than a year ago that I really liked was his weird and morbid humor, as well as the fact that he laughs - hard - at his own jokes. A strange fella in many ways. I like that. I love his vocabulary, his poppycocks and balderdashes and such, and he has so many lines that I love. The stroll-thing, the line about the case being the judge's coffin... And then there's just the little fact the fact that he snored in court. He cracks me up.
And at the same time... He makes me extremely emotional. It all started for real when I, quite recently, learned about the tear-streaks underneath his eyes. I thought that all of it was insomnia-induced bags that just went a bit... overboard design-wise. That's when I started thinking hard about him as well; "I miss him", I thought, "I'll watch case 2 to 5 just to meet Simon again". Which was the right thing to do.
I was touched by him before, the last trial and such, but now... His emotions running rampage made me get something in my eye, et cetera et cetera. So it's a circle, really. He's my favourite character because he manages to make me emotional - he manages to make me emotional because he's my favourite character. It's like those things came at the same time.
So now it's much more than "he's funny as hell", it's also what I stated just now as well as him being gruff, surly and even quite nasty at times - and yet a very, very good person at the same time - a human being. and it was beautiful to see his kindness at the end. I just love Simon.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Page 2 of 2 [ 61 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby