Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 13 posts ]

Ben and Trilo wtfnessTopic%20Title

pixel artist

So I was looking through the spritesheets and here's something weird I found.
pretty self-explanatory.
now... don't tell me that the animators got lazy. As a spriter, I know how much of an easy edit it would be to at least make it look like his arm was going into the dummy. Either change the shading on the arm to show the angle of the clothes has changed or show his elbow. But wtf?
Not sure if this has been mentioned before... or where I should put this... meh.
Re: Ben and Trilo wtfnessTopic%20Title

XD

What, you never knew that Trilo floated four feet above the ground? You could also say he has long/short arms or something.

But then again, I hear when
Spoiler: GS3
Edgeworth appears in GS3 as a defense attorney, they just flip his sprites.

pixel artist

Madfoot713 wrote:
What, you never knew that Trilo floated four feet above the ground? You could also say he has long/short arms or something.

But then again, I hear when
Spoiler: GS3
Edgeworth appears in GS3 as a defense attorney, they just flip his sprites.

Yeah, it makes no sense to make an all new set of sprites for him.
But still... this reaches a whole new level of laziness. I might even consider editing the sheet Godot

Super Tuff Pink Puff

I never actually looked at Ben or Trilo much but after doing some Googling, I think I may have a responance to what you brought up.

If you look at Ben Sprites, he never moves his arms no matter the pose...

Advanced Level Ventriloquist's use a certain "trick" that could cause an effect of why doesn't move his arm that hold the dummy. The Ventriloquist can wear a special outfit with a hole that is large enough on the side of the chest to fit the Ventriloquist's hand in and the Ventriloquist holds the Dummy right against the body with the hand going straight into the back. Depending on the side the dummy is held on, The Ventriloquist's actual arm is inside the outfit and in the hole but the viewer can't see that. The arm that should be used is actually a well-made fake arm.

It's possible that Ben with a fake left arm in the sleeve and he doesn't move the right arm to draw any unneeded attention to his arms. Chances are that Ben is a better Ventriloquist than we thought he would be.

pixel artist

Wow.
that definitly answered my question.

5 cups a day keep the doctor away

ButzPuff wrote:
I never actually looked at Ben or Trilo much but after doing some Googling, I think I may have a responance to what you brought up.

If you look at Ben Sprites, he never moves his arms no matter the pose...

Advanced Level Ventriloquist's use a certain "trick" that could cause an effect of why doesn't move his arm that hold the dummy. The Ventriloquist can wear a special outfit with a hole that is large enough on the side of the chest to fit the Ventriloquist's hand in and the Ventriloquist holds the Dummy right against the body with the hand going straight into the back. Depending on the side the dummy is held on, The Ventriloquist's actual arm is inside the outfit and in the hole but the viewer can't see that. The arm that should be used is actually a well-made fake arm.

It's possible that Ben with a fake left arm in the sleeve and he doesn't move the right arm to draw any unneeded attention to his arms. Chances are that Ben is a better Ventriloquist than we thought he would be.

that sounds all nice and dandy...but it's capcom we're talking about here. *coughdarkstalkerspritescough* Yanni Yogi

I noticed this too, and it drove me crazy.

Doomed Defendant

Location: I live in Luxembourg, according to Mrs. Edgeworth. :B (Nah, it's Canadia.)

ButzPuff wrote:

However, when the scene changes to an all-courtroom view when Ben/Trilo is the witness (one where you can see the judge, the witness, the defense counsel and the prosecution), Ben is holding Trilo; his arm is bent- so it can't be a fake sleeve.

I think they made up for that little error by taking the time to animate Ben's lips so they are SLIGHTLY moving whenever Trilo spoke- like a real ventriloquist. I was impressed.

Asumie Maroba: Sort Of Good Detective

I just noticed that today, I was playing through for the second time and I thought. "Trilo is a way better magician than Max!"
Image Image
Payne By:Croik-----Maya By:Harry Miste

stirring

Ben and Trilo pissed me off, so I didn't pay much attention to the sprites.

Nice catch though.
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

Superficial Narcissist

Yeah, I didn't notice Ben's lips moving until the second time through either. It's really, really subtle. The only reason I noticed it is because he turns his head whenever Trilo is speaking. It kind of depressed me really: I had thought Trilo was actually some kind of demonic puppet. Though I suppose the idea that Ben might be completely mentally unbalanced and have multiple personalities is just as awesome. Ben

pixel artist

*checks sprites* Wow.
Ben and Trilo definitly need more respect, they even fooled me xD

Super Tuff Pink Puff

Igiari_Bren wrote:
ButzPuff wrote:
Explaination!

However, when the scene changes to an all-courtroom view when Ben/Trilo is the witness (one where you can see the judge, the witness, the defense counsel and the prosecution), Ben is holding Trilo; his arm is bent- so it can't be a fake sleeve.

I think they made up for that little error by taking the time to animate Ben's lips so they are SLIGHTLY moving whenever Trilo spoke- like a real ventriloquist. I was impressed.

I'm not sure how to explain that but my guess is that while the characters are in court, they aren't to use the performance materials beside clothing. There were some exceptions to this rule but I'm sure that there is a reason for it. But I do agree with you about the slight mouth animation.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby