Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 40 of 42[ 1657 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Re: Miles Edgeworth: Gay or GAY?Topic%20Title

The law is full of contradictions.

Nether...well that was a nice discussion! Lets eat some jerky and forget it ever happened.
"Follow Your heart out of the darkness! Stand up and rise from the ashes! Back to the start, far from the madness. Come alive again! Break off the chains of hesitation! Your voice will be your salvation! Look to the light of liberation waiting at the end!"

The cape is self-fluttering

Nearavex wrote:
Miles Edgeworth is lesbian. End of discussion.

He is?!

Well, he's got one hell of a prolapsed vagina.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Y'know

Yup, he's a 100% male lesbian.

The video game boy; the one who wins

It was stated in an interview (with Tukami? Or another developer?) that he "doesn't like women" so he'd be gay or asexual. My guess is on asexual.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

GoingforMiles wrote:
It was stated in an interview (with Tukami? Or another developer?) that he "doesn't like women" so he'd be gay or asexual. My guess is on asexual.

You know... I keep hearing about this interview from the Voice of God. I wish someone would tell me where it is.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Me too. And I was sure as hell I'd read it, but perhaps that was just the part where he says Phoenix probably thinks Edgeworth grew up to be a cute man, because people tend to refer to these two quotes together. Searching Google, a lot of people claimed Takumi has said it, but I failed at finding an actual quote from the man himself. The closest thing I could find was http://gyakuten-saiban.livejournal.com/234777.html in the "type of girl" on the poll of Mitsurugi, but that wasn't Takumi but some other creator.

I've felt worse.

GoingforMiles wrote:
The closest thing I could find was http://gyakuten-saiban.livejournal.com/234777.html in the "type of girl" on the poll of Mitsurugi, but that wasn't Takumi but some other creator.

"Here it says, that the hythm in Karuma Family is "My way" by Frank Sinatra . . . The uthor says it's a song the Karumas (including Mitsurugi) sing when they win a case"
. . .
. . .
. . .
I'm not so sure if that's really a reliable source.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

GoingforMiles wrote:
Me too. And I was sure as hell I'd read it, but perhaps that was just the part where he says Phoenix probably thinks Edgeworth grew up to be a cute man, because people tend to refer to these two quotes together. Searching Google, a lot of people claimed Takumi has said it, but I failed at finding an actual quote from the man himself. The closest thing I could find was http://gyakuten-saiban.livejournal.com/234777.html in the "type of girl" on the poll of Mitsurugi, but that wasn't Takumi but some other creator.

I have some vague memory of somebody saying "the voice of god" said it like seventeen or twenty minutes into an interview (audio clip), but it was in Japanese.

Thanks for trying though.

...NAILED IT

Y'know

Besides, that line doesn't really mean much by itself - it could very well mean that he doesn't have "interest in women", as in, doesn't plan to start a relationship at the current point in time.

Yeah, no, I know. I really tried finding something reliable :larry: I'll just give myself an A for effort and put my money on asexual. And a virgin.

Edit: I will put my money on Edgeworth being a virgin. I will not[ put my money on a virgin. First of all I need a new pair of jeans.

Gettin' Old!

sumguy28 wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:
The closest thing I could find was http://gyakuten-saiban.livejournal.com/234777.html in the "type of girl" on the poll of Mitsurugi, but that wasn't Takumi but some other creator.

"Here it says, that the hythm in Karuma Family is "My way" by Frank Sinatra . . . The uthor says it's a song the Karumas (including Mitsurugi) sing when they win a case"
. . .
. . .
. . .
I'm not so sure if that's really a reliable source.

I'd probably put it down to a translation error. "My Way" certainly does describe the Karuma family after all.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yeah, it was one of the illustrators (Suekane) who says that she thinks he doesn't like girls. And it could be a line that means anything - it could mean that he's gay or asexual or demisexual or just not thinking about romance atm. Because lol.

I headcanon the guy as married to Lady Justice asexual.

There is no good evidence of him being gay. The best evidence I've heard is one thing in AAI:

Spoiler:
Where he examines the door to the staff cabin and smells perfume from coming from it. He says something along the lines of, "There's lady's perfume coming from the door. One might think that it smells wonderful but to me it simply smells.

However, this evidence could mean he just doesn't like perfume or that he has a sensitive nose.

Still, it's not confirmed in canon either way and until it is, Edgeworth's sexuality is up for grabs as far as I am aware. XD

And...(Dual Destines spoilers):

Spoiler:
We know that Aura is gay/bisexual. Apart from that, I would love to see more gay and bi characters in the series. Although I don't headcanon Edgeworth as such partly because I would be worried about making my headcanon reek of stereotyping.

[Whip the cream!]

GoingforMiles wrote:
Yeah, no, I know. I really tried finding something reliable :larry: I'll just give myself an A for effort and put my money on asexual. And a virgin.

Edit: I will put my money on Edgeworth being a virgin. I will not[ put my money on a virgin. First of all I need a new pair of jeans.

I give you A for effort as well and I put my money on a riding cro... I mean asexual.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Emmy19 wrote:
Yeah, it was one of the illustrators (Suekane) who says that she thinks he doesn't like girls. And it could be a line that means anything - it could mean that he's gay or asexual or demisexual or just not thinking about romance atm. Because lol.

There is no good evidence of him being gay. The best evidence I've heard is one thing in AAI:

Spoiler:
Where he examines the door to the staff cabin and smells perfume from coming from it. He says something along the lines of, "There's lady's perfume coming from the door. One might think that it smells wonderful but to me it simply smells.

However, this evidence could mean he just doesn't like perfume or that he has a sensitive nose.

Spoiler:
also possibly trying to forget the trauma of Calisto and her icky bottle of eau de toilette

Quote:

Still, it's not confirmed in canon either way and until it is, Edgeworth's sexuality is up for grabs as far as I am aware. XD

i c wut u did thar

...NAILED IT

[Whip the cream!]

Adrian in black wrote:

i c wut u did thar[/quote]

Tsssshahahaha.

Adrian in black wrote:
Emmy19 wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
also possibly trying to forget the trauma of Calisto and her icky bottle of eau de toilette

Quote:

i c wut u did thar

Fffffff you guys.

Spoiler:
Ahahahaha he didn't remember Calisto Yew because of poor writing in the game. Yew tried to kill him - I think he would remember. Then again, he could have not liked the perfume without realising why.

But yeah, it's not confirmed either way. Just don't insist that it's one way or the other, guys. Everyone has the right to their own opinion (and heck, if we go by asexual, then there are asexuals out there who are in romantic relationships - they are just not interested in the sex bit and either don't sleep with their partner or only do it for children or are willing to do it just to make their partner happy so even if he's asexual, Edgeworth romancing with a girl or guy isn't completely impossible) I'm still looking to find an Edgeworth/Phoenix fic done well! It'll exist somewhere. But even then it would take months for them to both go on a date willingly because Edgeworth. Hahahaha.

Quote:
because Edgeworth. Hahahaha.

Somehow I feel that right there just answered all of our questions.

GoingforMiles wrote:
Quote:

Clearly, Edgeworth is worksexual /shot

[Whip the cream!]

Emmy19 wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:
Quote:

Clearly, Edgeworth is worksexual /shot

I come from a long way, away
And I know a fine thing when I see it, see it
For the same reason no one ever, pointed a telescope at the sun
Talking about the Red Angels of N.Y. City

Who shot the shot?
Who got shot tonight?
Who shot the shot?
Who got shot tonight?

Not even five enforcement agencies can save their own
Never mind the people
Tonight it's raining on the angels of the city
(Who got shot tonight?)

Did anyone prophesize these people?
Only Travis, come in Travis
(Who got shot tonight?)

All the animals come out at night
Queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick venal
(Who got shot tonight?)
Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets
(Who got shot tonight?)

Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk
Listen you screw-heads, here is a man who would not take it anymore
A man who stood up against the scum, the filth
Now I see clearly

Personally I know the alley
Where Jack feeds on the birds of night
Not even Bubbies bicycles two by two
Can stop the blood and feathers flying

Who got shot tonight?
Who got shot tonight?
Who got shot tonight?

Waring overalls and for once and for all
What is the dream? I'll tell it
To live like they do in the movies
San Juan you listening? Yeah, I bet you are

Hands up for Hollywood, hooray, I hear you
Snappy on the air hang in their wall to wall
You saved the world, what else?
You saved the girl

Champagne on ice
No stranger to Alcatraz to boot
Or strip it down chop it a little
Being reasonable, just freedom to move to live
(Who got shot tonight?)

For women to take a walk in the park at midnight
(Who got shot tonight?)
Hey, but this is serious
She can't even get back home
(Who got shot tonight?)

Who shot that

Emmy19 wrote:
Fffffff you guys.

Spoiler:
Ahahahaha he didn't remember Calisto Yew because of poor writing in the game. Yew tried to kill him - I think he would remember. Then again, he could have not liked the perfume without realising why.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm thinking it's a subconscious thing. Edgeworth has a certain aversion to perfume, but maybe he's never really thought about why.

Then again, it's been implied he has allergies or sinus issues, if we are to go by the conversation he has with Phoenix in 2-4 about Matt Engarde and his "refreshing like a spring breeze" motto. So it could be that too.

...NAILED IT

Cause of death is being dummy

Man I've been looking for the slash thread on this dang forum, and here I find it's been dead for six months? No matter, no matter. I'll just tack some Wrightworth fanart onto this post when I get home.
Please don't let this thread die permanently :yogi:

Edgeworth's sexuality is still up for grabs /shot

Anyway, there was one thing that bothered me about the 'he doesn't like girls' bit is that some people take it a bit well.....too literally. As in "Ewww women" rather than "I'm not interested in a romance with them". Edgeworth is actually very polite and respectful to most women.

Spoiler:
He's polite to Rhoda Teneiro, Iris and Lauren Paups, he is mostly polite and respectful to Adrian Andrews, he worries about Maya, he tells Mia to be 'nice' to Dahlia. He also ticks Larry of for how he treated Iris. Finally, Edgeworth tries to maintain good relations with Franziska, despite her competitive attitude and her whip and despite the fact that she is the daughter of the man who destroyed his life. That, to me, does not scream of a man who hates women.

Sure, he does call Mia a 'novice bimbo' which is a sexist thing to say. However, Mia is the opposing defense attorney and Edgeworth wants his guilty verdict - he'd still be rude to her if she were a man.

Also, if, for argument's sake, he's gay, being gay does not make you despise the opposite gender. Otherwise asexuals would hate everyone and straight people would hate their own gender. Sure, there are gay men who hate all women but that's usually nothing to do with sexuality and often for a more personal reason like suffering years of abuse from their mother and thus colouring their views on women. Even if he were gay, Edgeworth wouldn't fit into that category.

Emmy19 wrote:

Anyway, there was one thing that bothered me about the 'he doesn't like girls' bit is that some people take it a bit well.....too literally. As in "Ewww women" rather than "I'm not interested in a romance with them". Edgeworth is actually very polite and respectful to most women.

Spoiler:
He's polite to Rhoda Teneiro, Iris and Lauren Paups, he is mostly polite and respectful to Adrian Andrews, he worries about Maya, he tells Mia to be 'nice' to Dahlia. He also ticks Larry of for how he treated Iris. Finally, Edgeworth tries to maintain good relations with Franziska, despite her competitive attitude and her whip and despite the fact that she is the daughter of the man who destroyed his life. That, to me, does not scream of a man who hates women.

Sure, he does call Mia a 'novice bimbo' which is a sexist thing to say. However, Mia is the opposing defense attorney and Edgeworth wants his guilty verdict - he'd still be rude to her if she were a man.

Also, if, for argument's sake, he's gay, being gay does not make you despise the opposite gender. Otherwise asexuals would hate everyone and straight people would hate their own gender. Sure, there are gay men who hate all women but that's usually nothing to do with sexuality and often for a more personal reason like suffering years of abuse from their mother and thus colouring their views on women. Even if he were gay, Edgeworth wouldn't fit into that category.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? People do that? I've actually never seen an Edgeworth-hating-women fic... is it because I'm still kind of new to the fandom...?

Emmy19 wrote:

*grabs Edgeworth's sexuality*

*risks being moneyshot in the face* :april:

AireyVerkhovensky wrote:
Emmy19 wrote:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? People do that? I've actually never seen an Edgeworth-hating-women fic... is it because I'm still kind of new to the fandom...?

I don't know how common it is, but I have seen at least once instance where the author made it a point about the contempt Edgeworth apparently has for women, or for certain women. But I'll admit I haven't read a ton of Edgeworth fics.

...NAILED IT

Sierra Mikain wrote:
Emmy19 wrote:

*grabs Edgeworth's sexuality*

*risks being moneyshot in the face* :april:

AireyVerkhovensky wrote:
Emmy19 wrote:

I don't know how common it is, but I have seen at least once instance where the author made it a point about the contempt Edgeworth apparently has for women, or for certain women. But I'll admit I haven't read a ton of Edgeworth fics.

Well I certainly hope it's not common.
You can have gay Edgeworth and still make it pretty close to canon. Closer to canon than straight Edgeworth, anyway.

Y'know

To be honest, I can't picture Edgeworth being actively gay. Or straight for that matter.

...Are there any well-written in-character Rhoda/Edgeworth fics? I honestly am interested now how Edgeworth would act while romantically involved... but I have problems with depictions in which he gets a bit too absorbed in those relationships.

My brother swears Edgeworth is asexual. (Then he let me put Wrightworth in our collaborative fanfic anyway. Even though he ships Phoeniris. ...I win this round.)

Well, 'he doesn't like girls' doesn't exactly contradict the headcanon of him being straight. In another context it could mean "He would go with women but he is really not interested in a relationship because he's too absorbed in his work".

I still think he's asexual but if he is gay or straight he'd be demihomosexual or demiheterosexual. Because it would take forever for him to get comfortable being in a relationship with someone, share secrets with them and share his life with them. He enjoys his personal space.

I'm sorry but I just can't take "demianythingsexual" seriously. It seems odd to account for personality like that in a sexuality-specific context.
I think we can all agree that Edgeworth wouldn't just jump someone, ya know? But that has little do with attraction. Just the question of who he would be attracted to (if he's attracted to anyone).
I shouldn't bother with this really but this sort of thing is exactly why I left the Tumblr fandom. I saw someone describe Edgeworth as a "homoromantic demisexual" and I was just all like, "Bro, if you think he's gay just say he's gay! D:"

Actually it's not tumblr I heard that definition from but I do have friends elsewhere who identify as demisexual (and not to be special snowflakes and be part of the Oppression Olympics either - which is something that a lot of tumblr people do. If I ever hear 'x-kin' again...thankfully my friends aren't of the tumblr sort). The problem is, sexuality is waaaaay to complicated and cannot really be fit into one category because our bodies and minds aren't made like that.

To me asexual seems the most plausible, both as in not having romantic feelings and as in not interested in sex. And if he would have romantic feelings towards someone I don't think he would act on them simply because I can't see what he'd gain from being in a relationship. If he does have a sexuality though, I'd go for gay - perhaps because the NaruMitsu pairing is pretty established in relation to other pairings, and also you can't really deny that there is subtext.

GoingforMiles wrote:
To me asexual seems the most plausible, both as in not having romantic feelings and as in not interested in sex. And if he would have romantic feelings towards someone I don't think he would act on them simply because I can't see what he'd gain from being in a relationship. If he does have a sexuality though, I'd go for gay - perhaps because the NaruMitsu pairing is pretty established in relation to other pairings, and also you can't really deny that there is subtext.

My issue with the "because subtext" argument is that there really is a lot of subtext... for pretty much everybody.

...NAILED IT

I don't think so. I mean I'm never looking for subtext yet I've seen it with the two of them, not really with other characters.

Gettin' Old!

GoingforMiles wrote:
I don't think so. I mean I'm never looking for subtext yet I've seen it with the two of them, not really with other characters.

Counterpoint: I'm never looking for subtext and yet I've seen nothing between them but good friendship.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yeah I didn't mean it as an objectional truth - but there are lines and reactions from Phoenix that could be interpreted as such. One could argue that that's the case with other sets of characters as well if you're looking at it from that perspective, but it's way more prominent with these guys, in my opinion.
Nor did I say that I think Edgeworth is gay/Feeniesexual because of subtext, just that, assuming he does swing some way, I'd be way closer to call gay than straight (or bi) because of the subtext I can't help but see.

Gettin' Old!

GoingforMiles wrote:
Yeah I didn't mean it as an objectional truth - but there are lines and reactions from Phoenix that could be interpreted as such. One could argue that that's the case with other sets of characters as well if you're looking at it from that perspective, but it's way more prominent with these guys, in my opinion.
Nor did I say that I think Edgeworth is gay/Feeniesexual because of subtext, just that, assuming he does swing some way, I'd be way closer to call gay than straight (or bi) because of the subtext I can't help but see.

If it's your opinion and you recognise it's got no real credibility then why are you trying to use it as evidence? :basil:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

What am I trying to use as evidence, and as evidence of what?

Gettin' Old!

GoingforMiles wrote:
What am I trying to use as evidence, and as evidence of what?

> First person says "Subtext is worthless, anyone can see subtext for anything"

>You: "Nah uh I don't even look for subtext and even I could see something between them"

>Me: "Well I don't look for stuff and I didn't see anything other than good friendship"

>Back to the top: "Subtext is worthless"

You tried to essentially say "Aww but c'mon man it's so obvious!"
Made by Chesu+Zombee

No, Pierre. I didn't. The reason I mentioned subtext in the very first place was not because it's the grounds on which I base my guess of Edgeworth's sexuality or lack thereof (as I said, I think of him as asexual), but because I've noticed that I have a harder time imagining him, if attracted to people, being drawn to women than to men, and I theorized that this may be because there are lines in the games I think could be interpreted as suggesting there's romantic feelings and/or attraction between Edgeworth and Phoenix, by which I'm not saying that I personally think there is, just that I see the possibility.

The only thing I said that comes close of being "look it's obvious" was that I said that "you can't really deny there is subtext". By that I'm not saying I expect everyone to notice it or think anything of it, but upon being presented with it in the perspective of romantic/sexual subtext, regardless of how you interpret it yourself, the possiblity to read it in that way is there I believe. Never did I claim that this interpretation is correct, just that I see where those who ship them are coming from, because when I played the games I figured people would see their relationships as such.

Sierra argued that subtext can be seen between pretty much everyone, to which I replied that NaruMitsu subtext is pretty much the only I've noticed myself, and that's probably why I subconsciously (?) has gotten the impression of him being gay if I'd have to guess his sexuality besides asexual. I didn't use the subtext as proving he's gay, but as a possible reason of why I think he'd be drawn to men rather than women.

You know, a Mario game!

Why don't people realize, Edgeworth is Asexual! He has been shown to not be attracted to women, however he's never been shown attracted to men, either! He's based quite a bit on Sherlock Holmes, especially in the GK games. Sherlock Holmes is asexual, Edgeworth is, too! Sorry to break your shipfics, but Edgeworth wouldn't have sexual relations with anyone, male or female.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Page 40 of 42 [ 1657 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby