Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 10[ 366 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Unpopular Opinions You Have On AATopic%20Title

The Enigma

Hang on, I better get this music playing *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DHs28nGN-g*

I actually really liked Quercus Alba.
I don't have a problem with Edgeworth. I really do like him, but I think he's overrated.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Re: Unpopular Opinions You Have On AATopic%20Title

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

I thought 4-3 was a decently fun case if you ignore the logic (or lack thereof) of accusing Machi for the murder.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Case 3 in all the games are NOT the weakest link in their respective games.

Also, it's not brandy that Matt has; it's chocolate milk. >:(
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I personally didn't like Franziska at all. Not even the scene at the end of JFA won me over.
I'll admit, she did become more tolerable in T&T... but then Turnabout Airlines happened.

Also, I personally hated Turnabout for Tomorrow.

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

Is not liking Turnabout for Tomorrow unpopular?

[Whip the cream!]

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Also, it's not brandy that Matt has; it's chocolate milk. >:(

I was almost under the impression that not calling it chocolate milk was the unpopular opinion. :-P
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Winter Flag Trademark

Personally, I don't think Phoenix could keep his hair spiky like that 24/7.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

I like 2-3 more than 2-2.

I don't like the cases you play as Mia. Also, while we're at it, I dislike both her and Pearl.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I don't think Phoenix's attorney badge is real. It's all just some elaborate ruse in hopes of getting Edgeworth to notice him, but he's in too far deep now to back out. Also, the dude can really drive. He just claims he can't in hopes that one day Edgeworth will ask him if he needs a lift.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Sounds more like a crack theory then an unpopular opinion.

I rather liked Maya's voice in PLvsPW.
Mia's voice clips are too high pitched and I have trouble taking her "Take That!" seriously.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I have a bunch.

I think 1-1 is an awful first case.
I think 1-3 is a fantastic case (5/5)
I think 1-5 is a fantastic case (5/5)
I think 2-1 is a good case (4/5)
I dislike pretty much all of the music in JFA.
I think T&T has two great cases (3-4 and 3-5) but the rest are so-so.
As a result, I like AAI better than T&T.
Apollo Justice is my favorite game.
The lowest score I'd give to a case in AJ is 4/5 (for 4-3). The rest are 5/5 for me.

Re: Dual Destinies (Have only played it once years ago so I might change my opinion on this in a few weeks when I play it again).
I really like all of the cases except for Case 3.
I like Dual Destinies better than T&T.

There we go! I tend to like games like AA1 where most of the cases are stand-alone but they offer clues into what will ultimately be the final case. I also tend to be most interested in the mysteries themselves, so cases like 3-2 which have great characters but only have 1 real "twist" tend to not do as well on my rating list (although that is very likely a result of replays. I remember enjoying 3-2 a lot my first time). Having said that, my opinions are always changing so this might be completely different in a few months.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

I think Nick and Maya's voices in PLvsAA are very much spot on. I wish Trevor White had voiced Nick in DD instead of Sam Riegel. IDK about everyone else, but his voice was so perfect for the role, and everything was so perfect, I cannot imagine Nick with any other voice.

And speaking of DD, I think it was a great game. Yeah, it had its flaws, but not as cringe-worthy as everyone else says it is. And I love Athena. I really do.

And in response to all the ship hate that's been going around on Tumblr lately: I ship Cykesquill. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with other ships, and I can see why there's ship hate for this ship, but sorry not sorry, I want Athena and Simon together.

I like what they did to Ema in AJ. I think adding the circumstances which changed her personality was a great touch. It adds depth to her character as an older person.

The Enigma

D.A. McCoy wrote:
I think 1-5 is a fantastic case (5/5)
I think T&T has two great cases (3-4 and 3-5) but the rest are so-so.

cyanoscarlet wrote:
And in response to all the ship hate that's been going around on Tumblr lately: I ship Cykesquill. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with other ships, and I can see why there's ship hate for this ship, but sorry not sorry, I want Athena and Simon together.

I had no idea those were unpopular opinions. Guess I've been living under a rock :eh?:
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Bramimond wrote:
cyanoscarlet wrote:

I had no idea those were unpopular opinions. Guess I've been living under a rock :eh?:

There's been a lot of it on Tumblr, though I purposely don't check the tags at all. The lesser you know, the better. :acro:

It's mainly the age gap thing. Athena's a minor (or barely an adult, depending where you live). Simon's ten years older than her, and was a former convict to boot. They knew each other since she was eleven. Cue squick, and then cries of grooming, pedophilia, abuse, what have you.

Maybe there were other issues, but I'd rather not know. Suffice to say that I am against all of the above issues in themselves, but it's not how I view the Cykesquill relationship at all. But to each his own, and I will not argue over it.

Narumayo's been getting similar treatment, too, from what I've heard. I ship that one, too. Anyway like I said, I just don't check the tags on Tumblr so to not ruin my day.

I think 3-2 is the weakest case in T&T and I really don't like Luke Atmey, not even in a love to hate way either. I do appreciate how it tried to differ itself from the other cases, but the stakes felt too low as a result. Regarding Atmey, I generally don't like people/characters full of themselves in general, and I know that's the point of his character, but I don't like it regardless.

The Real Human Being

Edgeworth is overrated, as is every other "hurr phoenix is dum" Prosecutor. Klavier is the only one I think merits any fans.

This! Is! SPARDA!!!!!

Acro is not a sympathetic villain. Yes, he accidentally killed his father figure, but he did so while attempting to kill said father figure's daughter. Yes, Regina is semi-responsible for putting Bat in a coma, but there are more reasonable ways to settle a grudge than murder. Acro said he couldn't stand Regina because she was so oblivious to what she had done, but he could have gotten the message through her thick skull in the same way Moe eventually did. All sympathy flies out the window when there is a more reasonable way out of the situation. Mimi Miney is an example of a sympathetic villain done right. Ken Dingling is not.
Rule number one of lawyer stuff: if it's in the court record, it's gonna show up in the trial.

DoMaya Blackquill wrote:
Klavier is the only one I think merits any fans.

Mm, I wouldn't go as far to say that, but I mostly agree with you. Klav's number one on my prosecutor's list. Damn scary competence hidden behind a pretty face and a showbiz persona, and is one of the nicest guys around. I don't understand why the prosecution always has to have some personal grudge or something against the defense, can't they just have a friendly working relationship?

And I like is backstory as it is. He is not a bland character at all.

Last edited by cyanoscarlet on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beware of the Dog

I. Love. Apollo. :apollo:
And Edgeworth is better as an antagonist.
And if you ask me, Phoenix looks best in PLvsPW.

ASCEND

DoMaya wrote:
Edgeworth is overrated, as is every other "hurr phoenix is dum" Prosecutor. Klavier is the only one I think merits any fans.

I have to agree with this too. I like it better when the prosecutors aren't always breaking the law and being rude to the defense. The prosecutor is just that, a prosecutor. They're not a villian, the killers are, so they shouldn't be treated as one.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Planetbox wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

I have to agree with this too. I like it better when the prosecutors aren't always breaking the law and being rude to the defense. The prosecutor is just that, a prosecutor. They're not a villian, the killers are, so they shouldn't be treated as one.

I really like Edgeworth, and I think he's fine, but I agree that at a certain point the "evil" prosecutors got boring, not necessarily because their characters were bad but just because it was the same formula over again. (I also have some problems with how Godot's motivations were handled. I think it was too over the top and didn't make a lot of sense). So while I didn't think about it the first time I played (as AJ was my first AA game) upon replaying I really like that they made Klavier such a different character. It went along really well with the (then unnamed) Dark Age of the Law thing doing on in the new trilogy - while the famous Defense Attorney is considered a forger, the prosecutor is actually seeking the truth and is working towards the defense with that goal - which is what Edgeworth did post AA1, but unlike Edgeworth Klavier doesn't have the gruff, cruel exterior that Edgeworth still uses in court with Wright.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I dunno about you guys, but I really did not like Klavier as a prosecutor. He was fine as a guitarist, but was quite annoying throughout all the cases he's appeared in (including the one in DD).

I also found Sebastian Debeste annoying in different way. You'd think the GK team would have stopped it with the Larry ripoffs. There should only be one Larry Butz, and that is the original.

Finally, and I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I really, truly believe that Jean Armstrong is a sexy man... er, lady?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I consider AAI and AJ to be the worst games in the franchise.

Apollo is the least interesting character in his own game.

I don't see the appeal of Klavier either.

Not sure if liking Athena is unpopular or not. People either love her or hate her. She's my favourite, but I don't consider her the best character.

And the ship hate is just typical Tumblr nonsense. Their arguments don't hold up

Nerd Processor

lonechallenger wrote:
I think 3-2 is the weakest case in T&T

I'm not the only one?!?! I really enjoyed the first half of that case and then I dunno... something stopped clicking for me. I do wonder whether it was because it started as something different and then it ended up as a murder case as per usual.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but I really did not like Klavier as a prosecutor. He was fine as a guitarist, but was quite annoying throughout all the cases he's appeared in (including the one in DD).

Klavier? Annoying in DD? Never! :klavier: (Sorry, but some of my favourite scenes in Dual Destinies come from that part of that case! (Although I guess a lot of that had to do with Apollo and his reactions rather than Klavier himself. Though there is a certain piece of evidence presenting you can do with Athena that still cracks me up for some reason). I think playing DD before AJ probably made me like Klavier more than I probably should mind, I'm still on AJ case 3 at the moment so perhaps my mind will change entirely yet).

The love for Godot is the one that baffles me right now. I haven't finished Bridge to the Turnabout (must get back to that), but so far half the time I feel as clueless as the Judge whenever he starts spouting coffee metaphors. :udgey:
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

Gardevoir lover

I don't think Maya needs to come back.

I also don't like Pearl that much

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

I've felt worse.

I don't hate Klavier for being a friendly opponent in court. I hate Klavier for not being able to see how obvious Kristoph's plan to frame Phoenix for forgery is, then doing absolutely nothing about it for seven-and-a-half years.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

ASCEND

I don't mind Klavier in Dual Destinies at all, but what happened to his voice? It's completely different from his voice is Apollo Justice! I remember hearing his voiced objection in Dual Destinies and thinking, "What the heck was that?" It sounded like he tripped and fell into the Fountain of Youth or something before the events of that game.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Broke boyz :/

Lemme just get this out there. I logged in on my lurker acc just to share this:

There are 0 flaws to this games' series. This was my childhood, man. Other then the god daMNED PERCEIVE IN APOLLO JUSTICE THAT I COULD NEVER FIND this just hits all my buttons right. I'd replay them anytime, anywhere.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

You mean Spark Brushel's pit stains?

Danksgiving

redd white was cool

Beware of the Dog

MBr wrote:

So I'm not the only one who wasn't able to solve that...

The cape is self-fluttering

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
MBr wrote:

So I'm not the only one who wasn't able to solve that...

Well, a big stinky, sweat-soaked armpit isn't the first thing people think of when it comes to Perceiving. Or, it would be more accurate to say, it isn't the first thing people want to think of.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

I am the swordsman of justice!

Ok here it goes. I didn't like Turnabout Academy all that much, but I really liked The Monsterus Turnabout. Nine tails vale forever!!!!!
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

Danksgiving

CoolFencer wrote:
Ok here it goes. I didn't like Turnabout Academy all that much, but I really liked The Monsterus Turnabout. Nine tails vale forever!!!!!

pretty sure thats not unpopular

I am the swordsman of justice!

Mister Gruel wrote:
CoolFencer wrote:

Huh really? I guess I should have done my research :edgey: I just haven't heard people talk about the Monsterus Turnabout all that much. So I kinda assumed liking it was an unpopular opinion. My main problems with Turnabout Academy was that I thought the killer was pretty predictable, and while its sweet that Robin, Hugh, and Juniper all cover for and protect one another, it's kinda got really old and annoying real fast, and while its supposed to make it seem like any one of them could be the culprit I knew who it was from the very beginning. But this a unpopular opinion thread so I won't get to much into that :gymshoe:
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

CoolFencer wrote:
Mister Gruel wrote:
CoolFencer wrote:

Huh really? I guess I should have done my research :edgey: I just haven't heard people talk about the Monsterus Turnabout all that much. So I kinda assumed liking it was an unpopular opinion. My main problems with Turnabout Academy was that I thought the killer was pretty predictable, and while its sweet that Robin, Hugh, and Juniper all cover for and protect one another, it's kinda got really old and annoying real fast, and while its supposed to make it seem like any one of them could be the culprit I knew who it was from the very beginning. But this a unpopular opinion thread so I won't get to much into that :gymshoe:

I was under the impression that 5-2 wasn't well liked as well. I remember it being one of the complaints about the game when it first came out. I'm playing DD again currently so I can't really say if it's my favorite case in the game yet but I definitely give it a 5/5. I tend to really like the more wacky cases like 1-3, 4-2, 4-3, etc. and this did that really well. It's also the case in DD that most feels like an "Apollo Justice 2" case; when I imagine the possible GS5 that might have been (released a couple years after AJ, and serving as Apollo's JFA without bringing Phoenix back as the star) this is the case that most feels like that. (Not to say I didn't like most cases in DD; the only one I didn't like was 5-3.) I'm hoping GS6 will give me some more Apollo-centric cases and with Phoenix gone in Kurain it looks like this will happen.

As far as I recall, 5-2 was the least popular case and was 5-3 the most popular in DD. It doesn't seem as popular nowadays (but that's probably because people aren't really talking all that much about DD that when it came out). I remember all the jokes about 'the third case curse is broken'.
5-2 doesn't seem to get all the hate of, say, 4-3 or 2-3, but still some people disliked it.

luck wrote:
As far as I recall, 5-2 was the least popular case and was 5-3 the most popular in DD. It doesn't seem as popular nowadays (but that's probably because people aren't really talking all that much about DD that when it came out). I remember all the jokes about 'the third case curse is broken'.
5-2 doesn't seem to get all the hate of, say, 4-3 or 2-3, but still some people disliked it.

Why was 5-2 considered the worst and 5-3 the best? I mean... I totally agree with CoolFencer that 5-2 was really good. I think it's my favourite DD case, after Turnabout Reclaimed.

As for 5-3, I used to like it when I first played Dual Destinies; but now that I'm almost done replaying it (last few cross-examinations of 5-6), I've entirely reconsidered my previous opinion.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Oh I've got a couple ones but I'll just focus on one for now, because this will get ramble-y.

*takes a deep breath*

There was hardly any need for Kay to be present in AAI2.
Spoiler: AAI2 spoilers and long rant
One of the most common complaints I've heard targeted towards AAI2 is the overload of characters accompanying Edgeworth throughout the game, unfortunately leading to situations where characters repeat each others' lines thus creating a lot of unnecessary padding (and the game is already loooong). Gumshoe and Kay are the biggest culprits in this regard but Ray, being the guy who blends into the sack pretty easily, is also not far off from being one as well. I've heard people say that Ray was a pretty useless assistant outside of AAI2-3 and being the one Edgeworth can run into when he's in a jam. Personally, I think he had a lot of potential but the writers missed the opportunity to expand on his character due to the aforementioned problem with the game.

And this is where we run into Kay. Her arc was done in the first game. Done. She had no good reason to be in the second game apart from fulfilling the role of the mandatory sidekick teenage girl and pressing a few buttons on a device with no special skills whatsoever. This is why I prefer Maya, Ema and Pearls (pre-DD) over her because they are trained in what they do and using or failing those skills is part of their character development. Kay on the other hand, goes on about stealing and stealing and her major achievement in AAI2 was "stealing" back John from the clutches of a fridge after reported missing. But guess what? This is what the police normally does after someone is reported missing and Gumshoe was accompanying her so her stealing skills are nothing of importance. Gumshoe's role was also greatly downgraded due to Kay's presence.
Also I never got the thing with her wanting to steal "the truth". The only situation I can think of where that expression is actually applicable is when you steal secret documents alongside becoming a whistleblower. Granted, AAI2 came out before the Snowden case but I only started playing the Investigations series last year and frankly, I was disappointed that the games didn't explore stealing in a more morally questionable way. It was the modus operandi of the previous Yatagarasu to do just what Snowden did but unfortunately their successor only steals lines from Edgeworth while "stealing" for her is clearly a synonym for "obtaining" that she uses just to stir up some feelings. She's just a good girl and Edgeworth will have a super easy time explaining to everyone about the time when he worked with a self-proclaimed thief on cases :yogi: Yeah, especially after all that history with forging evidence and manipulating witnesses. It will fly past anyone just dandy~

Yes, but there's the Forgotten Turnabout which is all about her. Except it wasn't really about -her- because anyone with amnesia could've filled her shoes and it'd have no effect on the case whatsoever. It was like an episode of Pokemon and in the next one they pretend nothing really happened; just a temporary stumbling block. I personally would've preferred for Gumshoe to take the fall instead and have both Edgeworth and him reminiscence about their working relationship throughout the years because that's something we've witnessed to some extent and it's had its ups and downs. Now that would've been a treat to long-time AA fans and a way to reward us for sticking with the franchise for so many years. Instead, Edgeworth consoles poor Kay with what could be summed up in this phrase "You're the Great thief Yatagarasu. It has the word "great" in it so that means you're a great person". But imagine if Gumshoe took her spot and they'd talk about the times when Gumshoe resigned just so he could follow suit with Edgeworth and with each whipping from Franziska, he'd start to remember her more but yet struggles to remember his memories with Edgeworth and gets all teary-eyed over it. And at the end of it Edgeworth's and Gumshoe's partnership would be stronger than ever and you'd actually sense it for once. If I had all the time in the world I would write an AU fic where this happens.

Also, Edgeworth's just not the type to warm up to a goofy teenage thief girl within the time span of two weeks. Compare Edgeworth's relationship with Gumshoe in AAI-4/AA3-4 and AA1-5: It probably took years for them to reach a stage where Edgeworth actually gave a damn about Gumshoe as a working partner yet he still compares him to a gum stuck on a shoe. Kay does exactly the same things as Gumshoe, constantly interrupting and bantering, yet he doesn't seem to mind her company in crime scenes when it's clear that Ray and Franziska could've been as capable in assisting him and Ray at least would've been far less intrusive. But with Kay it's all moonlight and roses just a week after they met. I miss Edgeworth when he was more socially awkward. I don't think his transition to protagonist should've changed him too much despite him clearly needing some developing after all he's been through.

So yeah, I guess I presented more unpopular opinions with this essay of mine: I'm not really fond of Kay despite my attempts to understand her. Lots of wasted character potential and her partnership with Edgeworth feels forced in general.
Page 1 of 10 [ 366 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby