Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 2 of 10[ 366 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Re: Unpopular Opinions You Have On AATopic%20Title

I am the swordsman of justice!

Slammer wrote:
luck wrote:
As far as I recall, 5-2 was the least popular case and was 5-3 the most popular in DD. It doesn't seem as popular nowadays (but that's probably because people aren't really talking all that much about DD that when it came out). I remember all the jokes about 'the third case curse is broken'.
5-2 doesn't seem to get all the hate of, say, 4-3 or 2-3, but still some people disliked it.

Why was 5-2 considered the worst and 5-3 the best? I mean... I totally agree with CoolFencer that 5-2 was really good. I think it's my favourite DD case, after Turnabout Reclaimed.

As for 5-3, I used to like it when I first played Dual Destinies; but now that I'm almost done replaying it (last few cross-examinations of 5-6), I've entirely reconsidered my previous opinion.

Yeah totally. I'd say that 5-2 is probably my favorite DD case after 5-5. I personally think it just gets a bad reputation for a being a filler. Filler cases may be well, filler, but that doesn't mean they should be totally hated. Some like 1-3, 3-3, and of course 5-2, weren't at all bad. I also have a bit of liking to 4-2 because it's kinda goofy and it doesn't take itself to seriously.
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

~Die-Hard Gavinners Fan~

My unpopular AA opinions? Ho boy, WELL;

:klavier: I think Klavier Gavin is the best prosecutor in the series,
:apollo: Apollo Justice is my favourite game in the whole series.
:rock'n: Turnabout Serenade is my favourite case in the whole series.
:pshhh: I REALLY like Big Top, and never had a single issue for all the times I replayed it.
:godot: I think T&T had the weakest Soundtrack,
:scientific: Ema is my favourite Assistant Girl,
:kay: And I don't like Kay Faraday.

Oh and I guess I can add in that I never though the third case was the worst in all the games. I like filler type cases because they can just be.. well, FUN! ( Well mostly XD )
Rhythm Heaven+Ace Attorney. Uncle Ray and Klavier Gavin need to be in court together. <3

CoolFencer wrote:
Slammer wrote:
luck wrote:
As far as I recall, 5-2 was the least popular case and was 5-3 the most popular in DD. It doesn't seem as popular nowadays (but that's probably because people aren't really talking all that much about DD that when it came out). I remember all the jokes about 'the third case curse is broken'.
5-2 doesn't seem to get all the hate of, say, 4-3 or 2-3, but still some people disliked it.

Why was 5-2 considered the worst and 5-3 the best? I mean... I totally agree with CoolFencer that 5-2 was really good. I think it's my favourite DD case, after Turnabout Reclaimed.

As for 5-3, I used to like it when I first played Dual Destinies; but now that I'm almost done replaying it (last few cross-examinations of 5-6), I've entirely reconsidered my previous opinion.

Yeah totally. I'd say that 5-2 is probably my favorite DD case after 5-5. I personally think it just gets a bad reputation for a being a filler. Filler cases may be well, filler, but that doesn't mean they should be totally hated. Some like 1-3, 3-3, and of course 5-2, weren't at all bad. I also have a bit of liking to 4-2 because it's kinda goofy and it doesn't take itself to seriously.

5-3 is also filler, so that's probably not it. I think the characters in 5-3 were more liked in general, so maybe that's it. Or maybe people didn't like the mix of yokais with pro wrestling. Also, a lot of people were pissed off because the killer appeared in the intro. Although it's probably that 5-2 didn't really stand out all that much. I mean, it's pretty wacky, but 5-3 is one of the wackiest things in the franchise. Things like the reveal of Robin's secret and Means' breakdown probably left a strong impression in many players.

Happiness Punch! wrote:
So yeah, I guess I presented more unpopular opinions with this essay of mine: I'm not really fond of Kay despite my attempts to understand her. Lots of wasted character potential and her partnership with Edgeworth feels forced in general.

I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion. Maybe not a popular opinion either, but people have been saying that Kay wasn't necessary since AAI.

luck wrote:
CoolFencer wrote:
Happiness Punch! wrote:
So yeah, I guess I presented more unpopular opinions with this essay of mine: I'm not really fond of Kay despite my attempts to understand her. Lots of wasted character potential and her partnership with Edgeworth feels forced in general.

I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion. Maybe not a popular opinion either, but people have been saying that Kay wasn't necessary since AAI.

She was rated quite high in a recent character poll with only Maya topping her as a recurrent assistant character but I guess it varies where you look.

ASCEND

Slammer wrote:

I also thought 5-2 was a great case. The only possible explanations I can think of as to why people might not have liked it, is the complete strangeness regarding the localization. You know, the fact that it doesn't really make sense if you ignore that the games are supposedly in California. Or possibly the fact that you find out who the killer is before the case begins.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

I am the swordsman of justice!

Quote:
5-3 is also filler, so that's probably not it. I think the characters in 5-3 were more liked in general, so maybe that's it. Or maybe people didn't like the mix of yokais with pro wrestling. Also, a lot of people were pissed off because the killer appeared in the intro. Although it's probably that 5-2 didn't really stand out all that much. I mean, it's pretty wacky, but 5-3 is one of the wackiest things in the franchise. Things like the reveal of Robin's secret and Means' breakdown probably left a strong impression in many players.

Nice work luck! You poked holes in that argument. :oops: :object:. Now to rebuttal; I'm not saying 5-3 was a bad case, not at all. The premise and characters were fine (Robins secret was both kept and revealed very well). I just thought it got kind of slow at times and I preferred 5-2 to it.
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

The first AA is the best one ever

3-5 and 3-4 suck

Yamazaki's games do not capture the things I liked about the series to begin with and thus I don't really like 'em, but they're usually good until all the mysteries are resolved.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Racing through the sky like a Missile

linkenski wrote:
The first AA is the best one ever

Would this count as an unpopular opinion? I've rarely heard people praise JFA or AAI as the best, but AA1 is all over the place. It's my personal favorite too overall, but that might just be the nostalgia talking.

I suppose I can drop in a few more. Let's see...

Though GK2 was a dramatic improvement over the first in many ways, I felt the ending to GK2 fell a bit flat in comparison to that of the first. Certainly, I loved the final boss of it much more than the one in GK1, but the resolution of such an intense scene just after the final breakdown dropped so fast that it felt like a figurative landslide.

I'd rather see games from now on stick with exactly 5 cases, as much as I'd love to keep going with more. I find it easier to write resolutions after the number 5 because it's a number that better represents wholeness. Two or three cases to build up the story, one or two cases for filler (just as a break from intensity all the time) and a climactic finish. 4 cases feels too short for a game and 6 is pushing things.

Rise from the Ashes was pretty meh overall, though the final confrontation was pretty exciting. And then the ending felt really rushed, but maybe that's just the retcon talking...

We need more vegetable juices in this series. I don't care if they're not important evidence; we need more drinks to carry around to look fancy!
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The cape is self-fluttering

Planetbox wrote:
Slammer wrote:

I also thought 5-2 was a great case. The only possible explanations I can think of as to why people might not have liked it, is the complete strangeness regarding the localization. You know, the fact that it doesn't really make sense if you ignore that the games are supposedly in California. Or possibly the fact that you find out who the killer is before the case begins.

I can't speak for anyone else, but 5-2, to me, was the worst case in DD. Oddly, it wasn't because of the yokai stuff or the killer's identity. I just found the majority of the characters to be annoying, and the case itself just seemed to drag on.

I mean, I still replay it, if only for Fulbright.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

~Die-Hard Gavinners Fan~

I liked 5-2 the Montrous Turnabout because it was a nice calm filler case, and I got to be Pollo again. <3 It was just alot of fun, and I adored Florent L'Belle~

But I didn't like it for that jarring theme throughout the case. I mean, I got behind the idea of them being in a town of people with Japanese ancestry, and it being a cute little cultural town, but the only thing that threw me off and gave me a sense of disconnect was all the Yokai this, and Yokai that.
I didn't even know what the word Yokai meant, and so much superstitiousness made it's way into the facts of the case and I'd just rather have more illogical things like Demons and all that be kept out of the gameplay since it's more of a logical game. It's just because you KNOW that these magical things cannot be real from the start due to the cases being (generally) based on realistic facts, so it was just a take away when the whole Evil spirit thing was SO present.

And yeah I know the whole Fey clan is exactly what I'm saying but that was like eased in well and it didn't feel off putting at all, strangely enough. And it was very enjoyable.~
Rhythm Heaven+Ace Attorney. Uncle Ray and Klavier Gavin need to be in court together. <3

no

- 2-3 and 4-3 weren't as bad as people say they were.
- Lotta Hart was a good character.
- Mike Meekins was also a good character.

The video game boy; the one who wins

The liquid in Matt Engarde's brandyglass is brandy.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Danksgiving

phoenix goes through character development in the first game

To me,

JFA is the best.
I think Trials and Tribulations wasn't that good.
I don't like Godot at all.
I think Rise from the Ashes was mediocre.
I think Apollo Justice was pretty good aside from Turnabout Serenade.
I think Manfred von Karma was the best villain in the series.
I think Dual Destinies had the weakest final case in the series.
I like Turnabout Big Top a lot.
I don't mind Klavier being friendly to Apollo.
I think that Godot was the worst prosecutor.

... I have a lot of opinions.

OH BOY, 3AM!

I like AJ era Ema.
The Monstrous Turnabout is good.
I don't really like Godot's theme.
"The business is on. I am trying to raise the balance for the Gummy Bear so he could submit all the needed Fizzy Cola Bottle Jelly Beans to the Creme Egg for the Peanut M&Ms process to start. Send £1,500.00 via a Giant Gummy Lizard" -Solomon Odonkoh

Enoshima Junko-chan!

On 5-2 and 5-3, I find both of those really exemplify the slow pacing that bores me whenever I play Dual Destinies again. They have their strong points, but it takes a long time to get to them. Compared to the Takumi games, where they're paced very well.

Nerd Processor

Sniper and Rifle wrote:
I like AJ era Ema.

That's an unpopular opinion? I really like AJ era Ema!

I think the more unpopular opinion is I never thought of her as Maya 2.0 in Rise from the Ashes in the first place mind.
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

I played Apollo Justice first, so I liked cranky Ema in that game too. Although, I'll admit, an ideal Ema would be somewhere in-between her AJ and AA self, leaning more towards AJ.

OH BOY, 3AM!

Nerdowl wrote:
Sniper and Rifle wrote:
I like AJ era Ema.

I think the more unpopular opinion is I never thought of her as Maya 2.0 in Rise from the Ashes in the first place mind.

I've seen quite a bit of dislike for AJ Ema so that's why I though liking her was unpopular. Maybe I was wrong. :ron:
"The business is on. I am trying to raise the balance for the Gummy Bear so he could submit all the needed Fizzy Cola Bottle Jelly Beans to the Creme Egg for the Peanut M&Ms process to start. Send £1,500.00 via a Giant Gummy Lizard" -Solomon Odonkoh

Gardevoir lover

I actually like 5-2, i guess i'm a sucker for it's setting as i really enjoyed it, also i'll take any chance i can get to play as Polly.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Sniper and Rifle wrote:
Nerdowl wrote:
Sniper and Rifle wrote:
I like AJ era Ema.

I've seen quite a bit of dislike for AJ Ema so that's why I though liking her was unpopular. Maybe I was wrong. :ron:

You're not wrong, just not alone.

Bidoof bidoof bidoof is on fire

Just a heads up: My post has some spoilers for JFA, AA4 and DD. And I also get really ranty.

-I liked AA4 Ema quite a bit. Yes, she's very different compared to 1-5, but doesn't she sort of have the right to be? Not getting her dream job--it makes sense that she'd be bitter. Besides, she's a lot more unique; her personality in 1-5 was designed to fill in the void that Maya left. So long as her key character traits are still there, such as how passionate she is, she's still Ema to me.

-I really love Turnabout for Tomorrow. Yes, it is flawed, and yes, the Phantom's motives weren't especially interesting, but the case really did have a big effect on me. It was moving, it was tragic, and it was interesting the whole way through.

-I really, really don't like Hobo Phoenix. While he does have the right to be bitter just as Ema does, he just comes off as irritating. He gave Apollo fake evidence, which could have gotten Apollo in just as much trouble as it had gotten him. He also refuses to tell Apollo and Trucy that they're related for no good reason. Apollo is a grown man who's spent his entire life wondering where his family is; there is no "right time" to tell him. He has the right to know. Heaven knows how much not knowing has messed with him. Not to mention Phoenix just leaves Trucy on her own for a few days without warning--and it's not like they're well off to begin with. And correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't played AA4 in a while, but he also didn't tell Trucy that he found her missing biological father. And that he died. I get that it's rough. Telling someone that their family member is dead isn't easy. But she deserves to know, instead of Phoenix waiting for her to figure it out. He also just makes Apollo feel really crappy. He uses Apollo to get back at the courts, never tells him what's going on despite the fact that he's a part of his big plan, and tells Apollo that he believed in him, only to say afterwards that he didn't mean it. He's just not Phoenix. Phoenix isn't like this. Playing through AA4 makes me so sad because this just can't be what happened to the Phoenix the trilogy made me fall in love with.

-I also didn't feel much empathy for Acro. Yeah, his story is tragic. His brother's in a coma, he can't perform anymore, he cared for the ringmaster. But that doesn't warrant taking it out on Regina. If he truly didn't want to hurt the Russel Berry, he wouldn't have tried to kill his daughter who really didn't mean any harm. I agree that Mimi Miney is a much more tragic villain. She acted out of desperation, not wanting Dr Grey to ruin her life yet again should she get caught for taking Ini's place. Not to say that Acro's uninteresting, because he was a nice sigh of relief compared to the other zany characters, nor that what Mimi did was right, but I didn't quite feel for him to the same extent as I did for her. Also, his breakdown was lame.He just cried milk.

-I'm not really sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion, since I don't see people discussing this too often, but I also thought Kristoph was a lame villain. I liked him in 4-1. He was interesting, deceiving, and unpredictable. Once that case was over, I was anticipating finding out just what his motive was. But when I did, I was so disappointed. He had the potential to be great, but he turned out to be very underwhelming.

Gosh I got really negative as this went on. I'm gonna end this with another positive one.

-I think Simon Blackquill is the absolute kindest character in the series. I'm sure everyone can acknowledge that he's a caring guy, but I feel like people don't really talk about this enough. He allowed himself to be nearly executed for Athena, despite the fact that she was a child and likely wouldn't have received any serious punishment for what she supposedly had done. He simply didn't want her to live with the knowledge that she may have killed her mother. He was willing to die so that she could be ignorant at peace with herself. And that speaks more for me than what anyone else has done in this series.
I... feel foolish.

My tumblr: http://www.polkadot-cookie.tumblr.com
My Apollo-centric sideblog: http://www.chords-of-fine.tumblr.com

If we don't have order, Prosecutor Blackquill will yell at us!

Last edited by Nado13579 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edgeworth is very punchable. I am debating at the moment whether or not he is more punchable than Phoenix.

(I do not punch people because I dislike them, mind you. I punch people jokingly... because my punches are jokes.)
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

I'm a fan of cameos. I like seeing familiar faces again, even if it's just for the sake of it.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

@Nado13579, on your third point, I think Trucy had figured out that Shadi was her father in the last case, much like how she "figures" everything out before Apollo.

Ready for action!

-Phoenix and Edgeworth were very flawed and unlikeable characters in the original trilogy. Neither of them learned a damn thing even after going through important cases that had lessons for both of them. But nope next time we see Phoenix acting like a rookie and Edgeworth is back to his usual corrupt self gain. It's so aggravating.

-I don't really enjoy the original trilogy a whole lot as a result. They're not as great as people hype them up to be.

-Apollo Justice is, imo, the best game in the series.

-Trucy is a better assistant for Apollo than Athena will ever be.

-Speaking of Trucy, I think she's better off studying law and becoming a lawyer or Prosecutor as opposed to a magician.

-Maya is a boring and annoying character. She's the worst female assistant in the series.

The Real Human Being

Lhancat wrote:
-Phoenix and Edgeworth were very flawed and unlikeable characters in the original trilogy. Neither of them learned a damn thing even after going through important cases that had lessons for both of them. But nope next time we see Phoenix acting like a rookie and Edgeworth is back to his usual corrupt self gain. It's so aggravating.

-I don't really enjoy the original trilogy a whole lot as a result. They're not as great as people hype them up to be.

-Speaking of Trucy, I think she's better off studying law and becoming a lawyer or Prosecutor as opposed to a magician.

-Maya is a boring and annoying character. She's the worst female assistant in the series.

And yet Trucy is just a shitty copy of Maya. face it, Trucy will always be sixth best to Maya.

This is tier list for companions in the game.

#1. Maya (You can't top perfection bro.)
#2 Pearls/Mia (Ships Phoenix/Maya, will slap the shit out of you if you don't act like an alpha, plus MIA TIDDIES)
#3. Franziska (3-5 she was your assistant IT TOTALLY COUNTS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)
#4. Kay (Not as hot as Franziska but definitely has her own personality.)
#5. Athena (someone for fans to ship Apollo with because incest apparently doesn't fly at Crapcom, hotter than Kay but has none of the personality)
#6. Trucy (The person attached to Phoenix to make him more "mature", totally dumps her off onto Apollo when he sobers up and kicks Kristoph's nuts inside out.)
#7. Maggey (HURR MISTRESS OF MISFORTUNE, SO SAAAAAD, also kind of a dork, but Gumshoe deserves her and she deserves to be number 7.)

Gardevoir lover

Lhancat wrote:

I kind pf agree with you on most of these points to an extent.
Like Apollo Justice is the best game in the series in our opinion, i like it because of the darker tone and how it's more grounded than the other main games.

Trucy being a better assistant than Athena. YES. I hate Hate HATE how they threw Trucy to the side in the new games. (This is another reason why AA4 is my favorite honestly)

Trucy should practice law, not sure about that one. I mean i'm sure she'd be great at the job given how she could figure things out in AJ but she's better off being a magician.

Maya is an annoying character and the worst assistant ever. Okay i don't get Maya's hye but i don't think she's the worst, that goes to Pearl for capturing an "annoying kid" character perfectly.

A Kirby and AA fan

DoMaya wrote:
And yet Trucy is just a shitty copy of Maya. face it, Trucy will always be sixth best to Maya.

This is tier list for companions in the game.

#1. Maya (You can't top perfection bro.)
#2 Pearls/Mia (Ships Phoenix/Maya, will slap the shit out of you if you don't act like an alpha, plus MIA TIDDIES)
#3. Franziska (3-5 she was your assistant IT TOTALLY COUNTS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)
#4. Kay (Not as hot as Franziska but definitely has her own personality.)
#5. Athena (someone for fans to ship Apollo with because incest apparently doesn't fly at Crapcom, hotter than Kay but has none of the personality)
#6. Trucy (The person attached to Phoenix to make him more "mature", totally dumps her off onto Apollo when he sobers up and kicks Kristoph's nuts inside out.)
#7. Maggey (HURR MISTRESS OF MISFORTUNE, SO SAAAAAD, also kind of a dork, but Gumshoe deserves her and she deserves to be number 7.)

Chill out. This is an Unpopular Opinions thread. If you can't handle unpopular opinions, don't click on this thread

The Real Human Being

Nurio wrote:
Chill out. This is an Unpopular Opinions thread. If you can't handle unpopular opinions, don't click on this thread

"Unpopular" =/= completely wrong

Maya is the best, someone not liking her isn't them having an opinion, It's them being 100% wrong.

Get your facts straight before you tell a guy to chill out.

Also, don't click on your internet browser if you can't take a joke.

I'd say

DoMaya, Don't be a dick .

The rest of you, you're trying to argue with someone who's called Domaya about the validity of Maya in the franchise. What did you honestly expect?

Danksgiving

how the hell did you forget Ema on the tier list

Ema = Kay on the tiers. They're so interchangeable that when you pick them from the character roster, nothing would change in the AAI games.

But joking aside, I really do rate Ema and Kay about the same, but I quite like both of them, so I don't know if this counts as an "unpopular" opinion.

A Kirby and AA fan

Ceres wrote:
The rest of you, you're trying to argue with someone who's called Domaya about the validity of Maya in the franchise. What did you honestly expect?

Actually, no one here was arguing with him about Maya. I wouldn't even try arguing about that with a basket of eggs. Take that as you will :ron:

The Real Human Being

Mister Gruel wrote:
how the hell did you forget Ema on the tier list

Forgive me, she deserves to be on there.

Ceres wrote:
DoMaya, Don't be a dick .

I thought it was obvious

Danksgiving

Quote:
Actually, no one here was arguing with him about Maya. I wouldn't even try arguing about that with a basket of eggs.

because you know that maya is the best

Bidoof bidoof bidoof is on fire

Lhancat wrote:
Trucy is a better assistant for Apollo than Athena will ever be.

That's because Athena isn't supposed to be another assistant character. She's an attorney. She isn't thrown into the game just to look cute and add snide comments.

I don't want to get too ranty again, because I don't want to stray too off-topic, but it really bugs me when I see Athena labeled as an assistant. She's a lawyer - she has her own playable case and gets just about as much playtime as Apollo. She's just as much of a lawyer as he is, but often gets degraded to being his assistant.

Yes, she did assist him on a case. But he did the same for her and he doesn't get slapped with the assistant label. I see them as a duo, not a lawyer-assistant pair. Even if his level of experience makes him somewhat of a mentor to her, they both learn from each other.

Also, I never really saw her as a Maya clone. Not to say I dislike Trucy and Kay, but I find that they have a lot less depth to their characters than Athena does. It was clear that Trucy and Kay were designed to fill the void that Maya left, but I never felt that with Athena; she's her own unique character. Not to mention that Maya's almost always putting on a smile (I'm referring to her expressions and attitude rather than her actual personal feelings), whereas Athena's generally more expressive with all emotions. (which matches her psychology-loving, hearing people's emotions traits) She gave off a different vibe than Maya did. Sure, she and Maya have similar characteristics, but I could tell the difference between their personalities. She never felt like a clone to me.

Ema was also clearly meant to replace Maya, but the game is self-aware of that considering Phoenix compares her and Lana to Maya and Mia. So Ema has an excuse at the very least And again, it's not that I dislike Kay and Trucy. I just never had much interest in them. They're cute, they're fun and enjoyable when onscreen, but I wish they just had more to them.

/rant over. Sorry, I really don't want to digress too much since this really isn't the point of the topic. This is just something I've wanted to address and felt that this would be a good time to bring mention to it.
I... feel foolish.

My tumblr: http://www.polkadot-cookie.tumblr.com
My Apollo-centric sideblog: http://www.chords-of-fine.tumblr.com

If we don't have order, Prosecutor Blackquill will yell at us!

Danksgiving

Quote:
She isn't thrown into the game just to look cute and add snide comments.

Gardevoir lover

Nado13579 wrote:
Lhancat wrote:
Trucy is a better assistant for Apollo than Athena will ever be.

That's because Athena isn't supposed to be another assistant character. She's an attorney. She isn't thrown into the game just to look cute and add snide comments.

I don't want to get too ranty again, because I don't want to stray too off-topic, but it really bugs me when I see Athena labeled as an assistant. She's a lawyer - she has her own playable case and gets just about as much playtime as Apollo. She's just as much of a lawyer as he is, but often gets degraded to being his assistant.

Yes, she did assist him on a case. But he did the same for her and he doesn't get slapped with the assistant label. I see them as a duo, not a lawyer-assistant pair. Even if his level of experience makes him somewhat of a mentor to her, they both learn from each other.

Also, I never really saw her as a Maya clone. Not to say I dislike Trucy and Kay, but I find that they have a lot less depth to their characters than Athena does. It was clear that Trucy and Kay were designed to fill the void that Maya left, but I never felt that with Athena; she's her own unique character. Not to mention that Maya's almost always putting on a smile (I'm referring to her expressions and attitude rather than her actual personal feelings), whereas Athena's generally more expressive with all emotions. (which matches her psychology-loving, hearing people's emotions traits) She gave off a different vibe than Maya did. Sure, she and Maya have similar characteristics, but I could tell the difference between their personalities. She never felt like a clone to me.

Ema was also clearly meant to replace Maya, but the game is self-aware of that considering Phoenix compares her and Lana to Maya and Mia. So Ema has an excuse at the very least And again, it's not that I dislike Kay and Trucy. I just never had much interest in them. They're cute, they're fun and enjoyable when onscreen, but I wish they just had more to them.

/rant over. Sorry, I really don't want to digress too much since this really isn't the point of the topic. This is just something I've wanted to address and felt that this would be a good time to bring mention to it.

Dude Athena is classed as an assistant because she only had one case, in every single one of her appearance after that she's an assistant and she's going to be Apollo's assistant in AA6.

AAI's story of the Smuggling Ring and Yatagarasu is one of my favorite stories. (Though Alba and Kay weren't very good).
Page 2 of 10 [ 366 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby