Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 9 posts ]

Ace Attorney Fangame In First Person Shooter Engine?Topic%20Title

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

(Wasn't sure where to put this, lel)

Ok, so, I just got this idea that randomly
popped in my head. To make an Ace Attorney fangame in the GZDooM engine.

Now, I don't expect everyone of this forum to know what GZDooM is or even what DooM is in general, or at least not the original DooM. DooM is a first person shooter that was first released in 1993. It was quite revolutionary for it's time, and it was one of many FPS games that help set up the genre we know and love today. The source code is open source, and has been remade as many other "source ports" have been made, improving on the original game by adding features that are pretty basic today, such as colored lighting, dynamic lights, 60 fps, freelook, etc.

GZDooM is one of these source ports that adds all of this, with the addition of cameras and support for the MD2 model format, as well as Action Code Scripting, more commonly known as ACS within the port and the community. It is because of these features that others have used the engine to it's fullest extent, going so far as to make new games based off the engine itself.

Here's where my idea begins. Since I'm pretty fluent in the coding of GZDooM, I had the idea of making an Ace Attorney fangame in GZDooM. I will spoiler the pros and cons so as to save space.

Spoiler: "Pros"
+ The engine itself is quite flexible. You can easily add and erase any thing by writing a few lines of code.

+ It's cross-compatible... kinda. GZDooM is for Windows, and thanks to an app developer by the name of Beloko, we have a GZDooM port on Android. I don't know about iOS, Mac, or Linux though, I believe for Linux you'd need to use Wine.

+ It's also easy to build the settings of the game. By settings, I mean the places. Levels in DooM are stored as .WAD files, and there are many great level editors. The camera support in the engine can help with the cutscenes and the like.

+ The "GUI" of the game (cross examination, investigation, etc) isn't that hard to code in, either.

+ The ZDooM community is also friendly, and any help you need with the engine can be asked there.

Spoiler: "Cons"
- The models would have to be ripped from a 3DS game and converted to an MD3 model. You'd then have to find the "frame index" numbers. I don't how hard this is to find, but I'd imagine it'd be a bit of an effort.

- We'd need the textures for the places itself. This isn't much of an issue but I doubt it'd be that easy to rip the actual textures from the 3DS games or to remake them. Alternatively, we could make our own textures without having to worry about perspective issues.

- It would take a little longer to make a case, but the effort would be interesting in the end.

- People just might think of this as just a tryhard fangame.

I'd love to hear your guys' opinions on this. Does making a visual novel fangame in an FPS engine sound interesting?
*insert weird signature here*
Re: Ace Attorney Fangame In First Person Shooter Engine?Topic%20Title

A Kirby and AA fan

I am maybe missing the most important thing here. The actual game idea (and value proposition). What would this game even be? I'm not even sure if you want to make an AA-style game in an FPS engine, or want to make an FPS game with AA models and themes.

As I said, it was a random and dumb idea I thought up. I figured how basically more of the possibilities of this. I will try to get some kind of proof of concept.

A Kirby and AA fan

Yeah, I'm not criticizing anything, mind. Just... I can't really comment on anything until I know what I'm commenting on

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Are you thinking of something along the lines of Ace Attorney styled as a Telltale game, only instead of 3rd person view, Phoenix would be in 1st person?

Kinda. When I thought of this at first, I was thinking more about the investigations and being able to examine crime scenes. It'd basically be a first person Ace Attorney Investigations.

Beware of the Dog

I, like, totally don't know a thing about this kind of stuff, but it sure sounds interesting. :pearl:

The Enigma

Would it be like a crossover? It sounds fun, especially with Gun-wielding!Phoenix
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Beware of the Dog

I guess it's more about making a first person adventure...
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby