Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 7 of 7[ 280 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Re: Rate/Review the entire franchise!Topic%20Title

Glimmerous Fop

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
Anyway,I'm left wondering what you'll think of the AAI games
Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Nice to hear, I'll probably write my opinions on the AAI-games here as well, but it may take some time (at least a few months) until I finish them (since I am generally not a very fast player and there are some weeks were I'll hardly have time to play at all).

Surprisingly,yes. I have seen a few people who say that AJ and DD are their favourites. It's funny,because DD pretty much did nothing about AJ.

As for the original game,while most people do like it,they don't really consider it to be the best,and the only ones which are consistently loved are 1-1 and 1-4. 1-2 people hate due to the ending,1-3 because it's filler and 1-5 is the most controversial case in the series.

I agree with you, I like AA1 very much, bit it is simply not as good as for instance T&T. However I don't really think that everyone loves 1-1, at least I don't think it is a very good case. I guess the only reason why many people like it so much is the fact that it is the very first case ever and introduced us perfectly into the Ace Attorney franchise. As a standalone however, case 1-1 really doesn't offer much at all, the culprit is shown in the intro, the story and the cross examinations are simplistic and the case is probably the shortest in the entire series. It is a good tutorial case but imo not as good as the other cases in the game. My favourite cases from the first game are 1-4 and 1-5, I love both of them.

Happy Maria

I will agree that AA1 and T&T are very close,but I feel that the first game just does everything nearly perfectly. I adore it so much. T&T did things mostly alright,but it's only because of one certain case that it's propelled to my top three.

Team Defense Attorney!

Thanks the OP for all those case summaries and thoughts. I actually read them all (cept for Layton vs PW ) and it was very helpful in reviewing past cases without spending a year replaying all of them lol. Here are my rankings of all the games that I played.

1.) T&T
2.) SoJ
3.) PW Ace Attorney
4.) AA Investigations 2
5.) AJ
6.) JFA
7.) AA Investigations 1
8.) Dual Destinies

This is based on the fact that the three most recent games I finished were SoJ and the two Investigation spinoffs--perhaps my opinion of numbers 5-8 might change if I replay them and think more about them, but numbers 1-4 I feel are pretty solid.
Credit goes to shadow_lepus

Happy Maria

The only thing our lists have in common are JfA and AAI2. Both the second games of their series.

Maybe DGS2 would fit in the same place if we both played it?

i feel pretty

Planning on doing an in-depth video review series on this at some point, but for now here's just the rankings.

Spoiler: EVERY CASE RANKED
44. The Final Witch Trial
43. The English Turnabout
42. The Foreign Turnabout
41. The Kidnapped Turnabout
40. The Lost Turnabout
39. Turnabout Airline
38. Turnabout Big Top
37. Turnabout Storyteller
36. The First Turnabout
35. Turnabout Serenade
34. The Imprisoned Turnabout
33. The Golden Court
32. Turnabout Beginnings
31. The Monstrous Turnabout
30. Turnabout Sisters
29. The Cosmic Turnabout
28. Recipe for Turnabout
27. Turnabout Samurai
26. Turnabout Visitor
25. Turnabout Target
24. The Stolen Turnabout
23. The Rite of Turnabout
22. Turnabout Corner
21. Turnabout Reminiscence
20. Turnabout Countdown
19. Turnabout Academy
18. Reunion, and Turnabout
17. Turnabout Succession
16. Turnabout Reclaimed
15. The Fire Witch
14. Turnabout Time Traveller
13. Turnabout Memories
12. Rise from the Ashes
11. The Forgotten Turnabout
10. The Magical Turnabout
9. Turnabout Ablaze
8. Farewell, my Turnabout
7. Turnabout Goodbyes
6. Turnabout Trump
5. The Inherited Turnabout
4. Turnabout for Tomorrow
3. Turnabout Revolution
2. Bridge to the Turnabout
1. The Grand Turnabout

Spoiler: GAMES
9. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
7. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
6. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
1. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - Prosecutor's Path

Last edited by Lind on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Maria

Hmm,I see. Do link to this series once you've started thus.

Oh,and out of curiosity,which are the cases/games you find good/bad/mediocre?

i feel pretty

For cases:

44-43 - Bad.

42-35 - Significant problems or underwhelming positive aspects.

34-27 - Either merely good or heavily mixed positive/negative elements.

26-15 - Very good!

14-4 - GUREATO DAZE

3-1 - Holy fucking shit how is it so perfect

As for games, AAI2 and T&T are both great with very little issues to address.

SoJ was really hard to rank because at its best it's the absolute pinnacle of the series (the second half of TRev) but it stumbles many times setting up something so ambitious. Still, I'd rather reward something that takes great risks and stumbles than takes no risks and succeeds.

Speaking of which, DD was probably the most consistently good game in the series when it came to core concepts, but had a lot of issues in its execution that dragged it down. Points for Blackquill though.

Vanilla Ace Attorney is good, but its supporting cast mostly sucked and it doesn't have a whole lot of meat on its bones compared to later games.

I loved Apollo Justice when it came out for the interesting new direction and tone it took. Obviously the series didn't run with it and the game has a lot of issues but it wins a lot of points for concept, plus the influence it's had on the series since.

While I consider the AAI concept and gameplay better than the main series, its lack of structure caused some major pacing issues (also seen in AAI2 in Imprisoned) and it has the weakest cast of any game in the series despite a couple of personal favourites.

Justice for All is let down by being relatively directionless, serving as more of a middle-point for the trilogy, having one of the worst rivals, two of the worst cases in the series, and a poor OST. Farewell redeems it, but it's still the weakest game in the main series.

I don't care for Professor Layton and this game is a prime example of why. Shame, because simultaneous cross-examination was a good mechanic.

Happy Maria

I actually somewhat agree with you for the most part. Only switch DD and Layton and they're pretty similar. Though I also don't think AAI2 is flawless,but still.

Your rankings seem to be very common in places,but what makes you hate the English Turnabout so much? That was what really got me by surprise.

i feel pretty

I actually somewhat agree with you for the most part. Only switch DD and Layton and they're pretty similar. Though I also don't think AAI2 is flawless,but still.

Your rankings seem to be very common in places,but what makes you hate the English Turnabout so much? That was what really got me by surprise.

I don't think there's a single game in the series that's flawless, or even a single case for that matter (save for maybe Grand, which I have only played once, so maybe there's something I missed). Trials & Tribulations has the least flaws of any game in the series, but AAI2 has three of the absolute greatest cases in the series and I can't quite say that for any other game in this franchise. When I rank things, the highest high points are more important than the lowest lows.

Speaking of which, on the subject of The Englihs Turnabout...

"Hate" really isn't the right word. The only case I really "hate" is The Final Witch Trial, and even that had its merits. And there are several cases higher-up on the list that I have far more venom for.

Thing is, though, the cases evoke any genuine irritation out of me - Kidnapped, Lost, Storyteller, to name a few - all have things they do well enough that I can't quite bring myself to hate them. Kidnapped is the most Lang-heavy case in the series, Lost has some great contradictions, and Storyteller has
Spoiler: SoJ 4
freakin' Aidequill.

The problem with English is simply that there is nothing in it that I can bring myself to love. The witnesses are bland, poorly-written, and amount to little more than gimmicks. The contradictions are nothing we haven't seen before. And while it did an okay job getting us interested in the overarching plot, the setup it provides is not used well at all and unlike, say, Trump, it doesn't hold up even a little once we know the full context.

Sure, there's little bits that are decent. The animations are fun, Maya's pipe-bash was funny, and the remixed AA1 tunes are a nice touch, but none of it was impressive.

Oh, and there is one thing worthy of "hate" - the most contrived way possible to introduce the culprit's motive.

Happy Maria

About Grand,there are indeed a lot of coincidences.
Spoiler: AAI2,PLvsAA,JfA,and AAI spoilers
For example,you saw the President in the film footage? Yeah,he was being hoisted from the balloon by Simon while being in a standing position while John was recording.

That's pretty contrived,if you ask me.

Heck,one could even argue that the overarching plot is a bit contrived if they'd feel like it. But I find it a major plus.

And really,you liked the pipe bash in L-1?I find that funny,because that's probably the most out of character moment in this case,and the most out of character moment for Maya in general. The way they just kinda accepted it even though she assaulted Nick was especially jarring.

I do sorta appreciate those moments in 2-1 and I-3,but they're overshadowed by the fact that Lang is really a jerk and somewhat OOC (think about it-would the Lang is case five have really arrested someone immediately with so little proof?) and that there's a lot of contradictions in 2-1 that aren't even pointed out.

I'll try not to say to keep much (after all,I've already written my thoughts on every case in the series in way more detail), but those things definitely interested me the most.

i feel pretty

Probably all fair points, but I'll come back to this once I've replayed it. I'm replaying the whole series to reevaluate all the cases, and a lot of cases are better/worse than I remembered, or have inconsistencies that are only obvious once you know the whole truth of the case. I'm currently replaying the first AAI, and still need to replay AAI2, Layton Vs., and SoJ before I start the video series.

Truth be told I don't really like Maya at all so it didn't mean much to me that it was out of character, especially since it had been a while at the time since I'd played anything with Maya in it. But I'll keep that in mind on the replay.

Happy Maria

Yeah,totally. Cases like 1-3,6-4 and all of AJ really stood out to me on replays. Really makes you appreciate the big picture.

This! Is! SPARDA!!!!!

And really,you liked the pipe bash in L-1?I find that funny,because that's probably the most out of character moment in this case,and the most out of character moment for Maya in general. The way they just kinda accepted it even though she assaulted Nick was especially jarring.

So that moment is extremely out of character, but her doing the exact same thing in 3-2 is not?
Rule number one of lawyer stuff: if it's in the court record, it's gonna show up in the trial.

Happy Maria

Truth be told,I completely forgot about that. But yes,that also was really weird. I think this one stuck in my head more because THEY ACTUALLY ANIMATED IT. That's kinda crazier.

Happy Maria

I'm bored,so I guess I'll give you my thoughts on the Layton Bonus episodes. Here we go I guess.

----

Spoiler: Blah blah blah all the games
BONUS:The Layton Bonus Episodes

These are imo the best part of the whole game. They all range from hilarious to somewhat even emotional. Love the way they continuously break the fourth wall unforgivingly. They even mock some tropes of both series. I loved the ones where they especially broke the fourth wall,but the one focussing on Constantine's backstory was very good and emotional.

If I had to point out a flaw though,it'd be the puzzles. The first few are indeed unused puzzles from the main game. But the last few are just reused puzzles,which is really irritating. Especially when they say 'Oh here's a totally new puzzle' beforehand just to disappoint you further. Edgeworth also came off as unnecessarily condescending and I don't like that we never find out who won the Bezella pageant. But those are just nitpicks. The animation is good,even if they're using just the ones they had left.

Overall,I really enjoyed these. Pretty self explanatory here if you ask me. I give them a 11/10. See you for an actual not c&p'd writeup when I finish DGS2 y'all.

[previous ranking][hint box][next ranking]

Last edited by Southern Corn on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Lind wrote:
Spoiler: EVERY CASE RANKED
44. The Final Witch Trial

I thought I was the only one :udgey:

Happy Maria

No,a lot of people really really hate that case. It's the most hated case of the game,in fact.

Glimmerous Fop

Anyway,I'm left wondering what you'll think of the AAI games
Guess I'll have to wait and see.

I just finished AAI1 today and unfortunately, this game didn´t live up to my expectations. I liked the fresh new concept, the music, the humour and the many references to older games. However the cases weren´t that great tbh. Games like T&T, DD and SoJ even made me cry at certain points, however this game lacked those emotional moments. Not only emotional moments, but also weren´t there any big twists or epic moments for which I normally love the Ace Attorney series so much. This is probably my biggest complaint, those thrilling moments and surprises were almost completely missing in this game. The breakdowns and final phases of the cases were mostly underwhelming, compared to other AA-games. The final case was by far the weakest final case in the series and the first 3 cases were among the worst in the series as well. The only case that I really enjoyed very much was the 4th case, Turnabout Reminiscence. Another thing that I didn´t like that much was the fact, that the "defendants" in this game always were people that we already knew from the beginning would turn out to be innocent (in each and every case the prime suspect was a friend of Edgeworth) - I thought this game was about prosecuting criminals, yet it feels just like the main games were you get a defendant and have to prove their innocence. It would have been more thrilling and interesting if at least the suspects weren´t always friends of Edgeworth.
I don´t say, I didn´t like the game, however imo this is by far the worst Ace Attorney game - if I had to rate the games by a score out of 10, my current list would look like this:

7/10 - AAI
8/10 - JfA & AJ
9/10 - AA
10/10 - T&T, DD, SoJ

Last edited by AchtungBaby on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Quote:
I thought this game was about prosecuting criminals, yet it feels just like the main games were you get a defendant and have to prove their innocence.

This I agree with it, in fact it's one of my biggest gripes with the Investigations games - why do we have to have falsely accused people even in a game about a prosecutor?
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

I mostly agree with you. Really,that game is not great. It's still good. But yeah,as you can see,I disliked one of the cases in particular. How would you rank the cases of this game,btw?

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:
I thought this game was about prosecuting criminals, yet it feels just like the main games were you get a defendant and have to prove their innocence.

This I agree with it, in fact it's one of my biggest gripes with the Investigations games - why do we have to have falsely accused people even in a game about a prosecutor?

I actually think there's a reason for this: it's for the sake of the 'turnabout', which is the core concept behind any and all AA games. The idea is turn things around, so we always need to start from an wrong premise. Playing the role of as prosecutor as someone whose job is to prove the guilt of someone who has reasons to be suspected wouldn't do for a lot of twists. It's a very common mystery trope, actually. The first guy to be arrested is almost never the one who did it. And at least in Investigations they usually change suspects a few times during the case, as opposed to having only one defendant.

Speaking of which, I replayed AAI recently and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I guess it's better to enjoy this game for what it is instead of comparing it to the main series. I still think it's the worst AA game, but not by as much as I used to think.

PD: Don't forget to play the second Investigations. It's much better than the first.

Happy Maria

Yeah,pretty much. The first investigations is still good...just not as very good. And YES,AAI2 improves on almost everything the first did. Well,except the soundtrack.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Quote:
I actually think there's a reason for this: it's for the sake of the 'turnabout', which is the core concept behind any and all AA games. The idea is turn things around, so we always need to start from an wrong premise. Playing the role of as prosecutor as someone whose job is to prove the guilt of someone who has reasons to be suspected wouldn't do for a lot of twists.

Yeah, but there would be several other ways to create a turnabout and wrong premises without having someone falsely accused. Also we don't really play the role of the prosecutor in the games at all since it's about the investigation, so it's more about finding that guilty party in the first place.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Actually,you bring up s fair point. It is somewhat disappointing that in the end we never do go to court. A pity,because it'd be really interesting to see gameplay from the prosecutor's POV.

Also,it's a bit funny we've had 10.45 cases to play as Edgey and in none of them do we play in the court as a prosecutor.

Ultimate Godot Fan

Here's my list:

1. AA1
2. T&T
3. SoJ
4. DD
5. JFA
6. AJ
7. AAI
8. PLVSAA
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." -Godot, 2019.

Happy Maria

Yes,someone else who loves the first game the most as well! I've always loved just the overall atmosphere of it myself.

Glimmerous Fop

My ranking list of all cases? Ok, let´s see, I try to rank them, however this is not my final list and I might change my opionion, since I am doing this list just spontaneously right now. The list includes all main games + Miles Edgeworth Investigations + DLC cases. However I excluded the DLC short episodes from Spirit of Justice, since I don´t think you can compare those < 1 hour fanservice DLCs with full length cases.

Top 35 Cases AA1-AA6 + AAI:

Mediocre:
35.) AA2 The Lost Turnabout (2-1)
34.) AAI Turnabout Visitor (I-1)
33.) AAI The Kidnapped Turnabout (I-3)
32.) AA1 The First Turnabout (1-1)
31.) AA4 Turnabout Serenade (4-3)
30.) AAI Turnabout Airlines (I-2)
29.) AA5 The Monstrous Turnabout (5-2)
28.) AA2 Reunion, and Turnabout (2-2)
27.) AA2 Turnabout Big Top (2-3)

Good:
26.) AAI Turnabout Ablaze (I-5)
25.) AA1 Turnabout Samurai (1-3)
24.) AA5 Turnabout Countdown (5-1)
23.) AA4 Turnabout Corner (4-2)
22.) AA6 The Foreign Turnabout (6-1)
21.) AA3 Recipe for Turnabout (3-3)

Very Good:
20.) AA1 Turnabout Sisters (1-2)
19.) AA3 The Stolen Turnabout (3-2)
18.) AA6 Turnabout Time Traveller (6-6 - DLC)
17.) AAI Turnabout Reminiscence (I-4)
16.) AA4 Turnabout Trump (4-1)
15.) AA5 The Cosmic Turnabout (5-4)

Amazing:
14.) AA3 Turnabout Memories (3-1)
13.) AA6 The Magical Turnabout (6-2)
12.) AA3 Turnabout Beginnings (3-4)
11.) AA6 The Storyteller Turnabout (6-4)
10.) AA4 Turnabout Succession (4-4)
9.) AA6 The Rite of Turnabout (6-3)

Outstanding:
8.) AA5 Turnabout Academy (5-3)
7.) AA5 Turnabout Reclaimed (5-6 - DLC)
6.) AA2 Farewell, My Turnabout (2-4)
5.) AA1 Rise from the Ashes (1-5)
4.) AA5 Turnabout for Tomorrow (5-5)
3.) AA1 Turnabout Goodbyes (1-4)

Almost perfect:
2.) AA6 Turnabout Revolution (6-5)
1.) AA3 Bridge to the Turnabout (3-5)

I mostly agree with you. Really,that game is not great. It's still good. But yeah,as you can see,I disliked one of the cases in particular. How would you rank the cases of this game,btw?

Ok, here my more detailed explanations why I listed the AAI-cases so low on my list (from worst to best):

Spoiler: Ranking-List Miles Edgeworth Investigations
5.) Turnabout Visitor (I-1) - This case first introduced us to the new concept of investigating and therefore felt fresh and new. However the case itself really wasn´t anything special. Portsman actually was a good character, I liked his animations and enjoyed, taking him down. I also liked the return of Gumshoe and Maggey. But that´s about it, I don´t remember any other positive memories from this case.

4.) The Kidnapped Turnabout (I-3) – I agree with you that this case unfortunately isn´t that good. The main weakness of this case were the characters, I don´t know why, but I didn´t really care that much for the returning characters like Meekins and Oldbag, neither for the new Lauren Paups and Ernest Armano. They were just there but we didn´t get to know them really well. Speaking of just being there: I was so happy when suddenly Ema Skye appeared again, but was very disappointed that she only spoke a few sentences and disappeared again after only maybe 2 minutes or so. And then there is Lance Armano, a guy who we almost didn´t see before and then turns out to be the culprit himself. I liked the twist, however this (plus the neat setting and the funny badger costumes) couldn´t make up for the other weaknesses of the case. Often there were contradictions you saw coming from a mile away and you had to point out the obvious. Then there were some "contradictions" that just seemed stupid and didn´t really make that much sense. One more thing: How in the world didn´t Gumshoe and Edgeworth recognize Kay. At the latest after she said her name, they should have known who she is, that´s so stupid and unrealistic.

3.) Turnabout Airlines (I-2) – This case honestly wasn´t that great either. The only one who saved the case for me, was.... Rhoda Teneiro - one of the few really good side characters in the game! I actually found her personality really funny and cared about her in the end. Oh, and Cammy Melee´s musictheme is really catchy. Other than that, this case didn´t offer that much. There were no big twists (I think it was obvious that Melee was the culprit) and other than Rhoda, the characters weren´t interesting either.

2.) Turnabout Ablaze (I-5) – This case honestly was my biggest disappointment in the game. It isn´t a bad case per se, but considering this is a final case that has to resolve everything that was built up in the last 4 cases, it felt so underwhelming. I love every final case in the series, however this is the only one that couldn´t thrill me. The beginning of the case was lengthy and unfortunately didn´t feel very interesting. The most characters were – yet again – a slight disappointment in this case. It almost feels like this game forces character into roles which don´t even fit them (Larry, Oldbag again). The story wasn´t as interesting as I hoped it would be and there weren´t any big twists either (except maybe that Badd was part of the Yatagarasu, but still this twist wasn´t near as impactful as others in the series). By simply eliminating characters, you could easily deduce who was the culprit (since the cast of characters who could possibly have done it was almost non-existent) – For me it was quite obvious that Shih-Na in reality was Calisto Yew and unfortunately therefore this twist wasn´t a big surprise for me. The villain Alba was one of the weaker ones in the series as well. The only good thing about this case was the conclusion, which made me smile and some of the characters (in particular Lang and Kay), but other than that, I didn´t like this case as much as I hoped.

1.) Turnabout Reminiscence (I-4) – Finally! This was finally at least one case from the game which I really enjoyed very much and which could thrill me from the very beginning. I was very (positively) surprised about the appearence of Manfred van Karma and I fell in love with little Franziska. The characters and the character interaction in this case was fantastic! Detective Badd and Calisto Yew were both interesting characters as well with very catchy musicthemes. The trial-theme (which sadly only played in this case) sounds epic, maybe my favourite trial-theme in the entire series. The humour in this case was great, I loved how you first got the total wrong impression of Badd, his "zigarette" (lollypop) and "gun" mirror animations were hilarious. Also in this case I really didn´t know who could be the culprit for a long time and I only suspected Calisto Yew very late (I said to myself: "Could she really be it? Nahh, that can´t be, can it!?" , shortly before Edgeworth himself did.

But I want to add, that I just finished the game and my opinions on Miles Edgeworth Investigations might change over time. I think however, it´s for sure that this game will remain my least favourite AA-game.

Last edited by AchtungBaby on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Every Puzzle has an answer.

So, I am currently watching DGS, and have played everything for the rest (Except PWvsPL, no interest either), so BEFORE I rank all the cases and whatnot, I will just make a list of my favourite games in the series. The game that's above is my least favourite, the further down the more I like them

Not my favourite, not close
Miles Edgeworth Investigations

Ok (I like these games)
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (Yes, this low)
Justice for All

Good
Dual Destinies
Trials and Tribulations

Very good! I love these games to death.
Spirit of Justice
Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2
It's a gentleman's duty to help a lady in need.

Happy Maria

@Achtung Baby I think it's safe to say I agree for the most part with you. I liked the way you ranked things in tiers like me,btw.

@Michelaar I'm not really surprised by your rankings. They're the average AA games rankings I've come to expect. Well,except DD. That game was so hated by fans a year after it came out.

I wouldn't recommend watching DGS btw,that game has some wonderful optional dialogue and in one case actually plays a big role in your thought process. I won't give too much away,but I recommend waiting till the fanslation comes out.

Every Puzzle has an answer.

@Achtung Baby I think it's safe to say I agree for the most part with you. I liked the way you ranked things in tiers like me,btw.

@Michelaar I'm not really surprised by your rankings. They're the average AA games rankings I've come to expect. Well,except DD. That game was so hated by fans a year after it came out.

I wouldn't recommend watching DGS btw,that game has some wonderful optional dialogue and in one case actually plays a big role in your thought process. I won't give too much away,but I recommend waiting till the fanslation comes out.

I really enjoyed Dual Destinies, even the second case (which you could probably guess). But yeah, I'll wait for the translation then. Hope that's coming soon.
It's a gentleman's duty to help a lady in need.

Nerd Processor

Sorry, I know this thread is old but I have an update...

I've not forgotten that I promised I would post my list and full thoughts here... HOWEVER: As of today I now own Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright! So now I can do a complete list for all the ones that have been released in the west.

Of course, that requires me playing PLvsPW first... so this is just to let you know I'm still intending on doing my list here.

Here's my updated averages (bare in mind I'm currently in the middle of SoJ case 4 so these are NOT finalised yet. And again averages are worked out by adding the position on the lists (the 1st place case currently has 31 points because there's 31 cases in my current list) together and dividing by number of cases)):-

1.(SoJ (22))*
2.AA-I (19.2)
3.AA1 (17)
4.DD (16.4)
5.AJ (15.75)
6.AA3 (12)**
7.AA2 (11)

*I can't see this staying here
**This might change because there is at least one case I'm conflicted over the placing of.
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

Happy Maria

Whoa, it's been a while! No worries. I have and still am looking forward to this ranking. :edgey:

Happy Maria

Happy New Year, everybody! Wow, has it been an entire year since my rankings ended? Time flies by fast, I suppose.

Admittedly, looking back, some of these were written rather…amateurishly, and some of them definitely felt a bit forced. I still hope you envied them, though.

Now, as for my DGS2 rankings…they'll have to wait. I'm really taking my time with this one, mainly because I haven't finished the game. Even when I do, though, I wish to take some time to collect and compose my thoughts on the game before writing them down. Plus, I do want to wait for the fan translation on YouTube to finish so that everyone can view my rankings with ease. So, expect that in the faaaaar future.

That's all. Thanks, and goodbye!

Yabba Dabba Doo

Southern Corn wrote:
Happy New Year, everybody! Wow, has it been an entire year since my rankings ended? Time flies by fast, I suppose.

Admittedly, looking back, some of these were written rather…amateurishly, and some of them definitely felt a bit forced. I still hope you envied them, though.

Now, as for my DGS2 rankings…they'll have to wait. I'm really taking my time with this one, mainly because I haven't finished the game. Even when I do, though, I wish to take some time to collect and compose my thoughts on the game before writing them down. Plus, I do want to wait for the fan translation on YouTube to finish so that everyone can view my rankings with ease. So, expect that in the faaaaar future.

That's all. Thanks, and goodbye!

It's tripping me out that those write-ups were a year ago. Time flies by fast.

1) PW: AA
2) PW: TT
3) AAI 1
4) PW: SoJ
5) AAI 2
6) PW: DD
7) PW: JFA
8) AJ: AA
”My bars passed the bar exam, no law school”
Lil Wayne 2013

i feel pretty

Updating this with DGS now that I've played that. Also, I've replayed AAI1, Layton Vs, and Dual Destinies since I last updated mine, so there have been some substantial changes from the previous one.

Spoiler: CASES
49. The Final Witch Trial/The Last Inquisitor/The First Story
48. The Kidnapped Turnabout
47. The Foreign Turnabout
46. The Adventure of the Unbreakable Speckled Band
45. The English Turnabout
44. The Lost Turnabout
43. Turnabout Big Top
42. Turnabout Airlines
41. The Monstrous Turnabout
40. Turnabout Serenade
39. The First Turnabout
38. Recipe for Turnabout
37. Turnabout Corner
36. The Imprisoned Turnabout
35. Turnabout Visitor
34. The Golden Court
33. Turnabout Time Traveller
32. The Cosmic Turnabout
31. The Adventure of the Great Departure
30. Turnabout Countdown
29. Turnabout Storyteller
28. The Rite of Turnabout
27. The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro
26. Turnabout Target
25. Turnabout Sisters
24. Turnabout Samurai
23. Turnabout Academy
22. Turnabout Reclaimed
21. Turnabout Ablaze
20. Turnabout Beginnings
19. The Fire Witch
18. Reunion, and Turnabout
17. Rise from the Ashes
16. The Stolen Turnabout
15. Turnabout Reminiscence
14. The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story
13. Turnabout Succession
12. The Forgotten Turnabout
11. The Magical Turnabout
10. Turnabout for Tomorrow
9. Turnabout Memories
8. The Adventure of the Runaway Room
7. The Inherited Turnabout
6. Turnabout Trump
5. Turnabout Goodbyes
4. Turnabout Revolution
3. Farewell, my Turnabout
2. The Grand Turnabout
1. Bridge to the Turnabout

Spoiler: GAMES
10. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
9. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
6. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
5. The Great Ace Attorney: The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
1. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - Prosecutor's Path

Happy Maria

Oh, huh. I'd forgotten this topic existed. Actually I finished playing DGS2 sometime back so I guess now's a good time to put up my ranking. I don't think I'll really be doing an individual writeup for each case now because I don't really feel like it but here you are.

Spoiler: DGS1+2 case rankings
1. The Return of the Great Departed Soul
2. Twisted Karma and His Last Bow
3. The Resolve of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou
4. The Adventure of the Runaway Room
5. The Adventure of the Great Unspeakable Story
6. The Memoirs of the Clouded Kokoro
7. The Adventure of the Unbreakable Speckled Band
8. The Adventure of the Blossoming Attorney
9. The Adventure of the Great Departure
10. The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro

My thoughts haven't changed much on the DGS1 cases that much, especially since I still haven't gotten to replay them. I think Soul and Karma/Resolve are pretty great in a lot of places but I still have a lot of major problems with them that severely impede it for me. I put Karma over Resolve even though they're pretty identical, mainly because I find the trial much more fun in Karma than in Resolve, which gets a little dull after the first bit. There's a pretty big gap between Story and Memoirs for me, though I find Memoirs pretty decent and actually well written compared to the mess that was Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro. There's also a small gap between Speckled and Attorney, though I find Attorney pretty tolerable and much more well paced than Departure overall, though I guess the first part of the latter was still fine. Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro is the only one here that I straight up don't like, though. It still remains as my least favourite Takumi case by a wide margin.

Oh, and as an aside here's my updated game ranking. This list has undergone some pretty significant changes since 2016, so it's not quite the same.

Spoiler: AA Game Ranking
1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
2. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
5. Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2
6. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
7. Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Resolve of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke
8. Dai Gyakuten Saiban: The Adventures of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke
9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
10. Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
11: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

I realised that AAI is probably more fun to me as a whole than DD is so it got moved up. It's been a while since I played PLvsAA so I can't really say much about it now but I think I enjoyed myself more than in DGS1 and 2. SoJ got moved up because I realised it's actually secretly 10/10 and I enjoyed a lot of it. T&T also moved down because I only really enjoyed 3-3 and 3-5 there, though the others were still good.

The Bulbasaur Attorney

Well, I haven't played the 3DS games yet, but here's my rankings anyway.
Spoiler: Game Rankings
1. Justice For All - 10/10
2. Ace Attorney - 10/10
3. Trials and Tribulations - 10/10
4. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 -10/10
5. Apollo Justice Ace Attorney - 8/10
6. Ace Attorney Investigations - 7.5/10

Spoiler: Case Rankings
1. Farewell, My Turnabout
2. Turnabout Goodbyes
3. Turnabout Beginnings
4. Reunion, and Turnabout
5. Bridge to the Turnabout
6. The Forgotten Turnabout
7. The Grand Turnabout
8. Turnabout Trump
9. The Inherited Turnabout
10. Turnabout Reminiscence
11. Recipe For Turnabout
12. Turnabout Target
13. Turnabout Memories
14. Rise from the Ashes
15. Turnabout Samurai
16. Turnabout Big Top
17. Turnabout Airlines
18. The Stolen Turnabout
19. Turnabout Sisters
20. The Imprisoned Turnabout
21. Turnabout Ablaze
22. Turnabout Succession
23. The Lost Turnabout
24. Turnabout Visitor
25. The First Turnabout
26. The Kidnapped Turnabout
27. Turnabout Serenade
28. Turnabout Corner (the only case I dislike)

<insert witty signature here>

Happy Maria

okay so hi I remembered this place existed. I dunno if I'm going to ever do those DGS2 writeups anytime in the future but I am currently in the process of replaying through the series. Still only on 1-5 but whatever. Anyway here's my tentative tier list for now, most of this stuff holds pretty good though I think. Nothing too spoilery in there I think but that's every AA case ever ranked so yeah, I guess you could call me a completionist *sunglasses emoji*

Spoiler:

What's a Court Records?

I have a list of all the cases ranked somewhere. I'd have to dig up one of the notebooks for that but for now, here's how I rank all the games themselves:

1. Ace Attorney Investigations 2
2. Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
3. Trials & Tribulations
4. Apollo Justice
5. Spirit Of Justice
6. Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7. Justice For All
8. Ace Attorney Investigations
9. Dai Gyakuten Saiban
10. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
11. Dual Destinies
Why am I even here?