Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 24 posts ]
 


Unused content in PW:AA, Final UpdateTopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

Final update: new section has been added: Unused Graphics. Trivia has been updated with new info.

I wanted to write about the unused materials for a long time, but only now I got the chance to do it.

While I was fan-translating the first PW:AA for NDS and AAT for 3DS I stumbled across some unused content, mainly: unused dialogs, graphics (images, sprites), evidence and 3D models.
As far as I know, all the things that are described here were never mentioned anywhere else.

Since forum posts are not very well suited for such amounts of information, I have gathered everything on this page. It has a far better structure, formatting and easier navigation.

Unused English dialogs are from the game scripts, and since they are unused, they contain some spelling mistakes. Japanese dialogs are given for the sake of comparison.

Generally, most unused content mentioned here could be found in GBA, NDS and 3DS versions. There are exceptions, thought, for instance, GBA version does not feature unused English dialogs since it was released in Japan only. 3DS re-release has some unique unused graphics, not found in any other version.

Note: there are lots of spoilers here.

Spoiler: Unused Animations
As some of you may know, there are several unused animations of Phoenix, Edgeworth and Butz. And since all the sprites were extracted directly from the game files you might wonder: "how could anyone miss another unused animations"? Well, the aforementioned animations were discovered because they had unique look. But the sprites bellow look pretty similar to the regular sprites.

Old Man

Image

First he moves from side to side, as usual, but suddenly he stops and becomes serious. The animation is actually composed of two sequences, and you can clearly see where the second one starts - where the bottom part cuts off. It also points to the fact that this animation was meant to be used only during court proceedings. The same goes for Edgeworth's and Butz's unused animations - they both lack the bottom part, because it would be covered by the witness stand.

In Gyakuten Saiban Jiten it's called ダメージ (Damage) and it is listed as "not used in the game".

Jake Marshall

Image

This animation is similar to the one used in the game. The only difference is in the unused animation Jake actually bites the piece of dried meat off.

In Gyakuten Saiban Jiten it's called 噛み切る (biting off, gnawing through) and it is listed as "not used in the game".

Mike Meekins

Image

He just stares and moves his head in a funny way while standing still.

For some reason in Gyakuten Saiban Jiten it's not even listed as a separate animation. I guess, it's supposed to be his idle animation, like that of Yogi, but it's never used in Case 5.

I thought that maybe it was used in Ace Attorney 4, but judging from the sprite sheet
it is not even present in that game.

Spoiler: Trivia
Here I will describe some small but interesting tidbits that have no place elsewhere.

***

In the English version recollection scenes in the first four cases lack the usual black-and-white filter, but it is present in the Japanese version of the game. Strangely enough, the English version does feature the black-and-white filter in Case 5.

***

Even though the Japanese version has the black-and-white filter, it is not used during every recollection scenes early in the game.

***

In Case 2 when you meet Gumshoe for the second time (when you get Maya's Cellphone) you can show him the glass shards:

Image Image

During the conversation the background changes to the background of the office with Mia's dead body. At the same time Gumshoe is present on screen and he continues the conversation.

It's actually a bug, because this is a reminiscence scene and Gumshoe is not supposed to be there (his sprite covers the glass stand, rendering the whole scene pointless).

***

The US version contains the Japanese version of the game, excluding the Japanese scripts which are replaced with dummy files (although AA2 and AA3 do contain them). It's not surprising, since the Japanese version includes the English localization, which you can activate through the main menu (just like in Ace Attorney Trilogy for 3DS).

***

The sound of the gun shot in Case 4 intro is actually a reused sound of Berretta M92 from Resident Evil (PS1).

***

At the end of the last investigation day in Case 5, after Gant spots Phoenix, Ema and Gumshoe in his office, the game automatically moves you to the Detention Center and precludes you from leaving it. Judging from control codes in the script, originally the player weren't forced into that location - instead they could explore all the available places. The developers probably did it to avoid unnecessary wandering.

***

There is Maya's profile in Case 1 files - a remnant from the time when Case 2 was the first episode in the game.

***

There's also Mia's profile in Case 5 files - maybe originally she had a more prominent role in this case?

***

Case 5 has at least five unused evidence slots. There is a way to activate them - they contain dummy icons, but reuse the description from Mia's profile.

Spoiler: Unused Dialogs: Case 2, Day 1, Investigation
Dialog #1

Place: Mia's office.
Time: The beginning of the game, when Phoenix examines Mia's body and the crime scene.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
A portable safe.

No way to tell how
much is inside.

I wonder if someone was
trying to take it out?


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
手さげ金庫だ。

いくら入っているのかは
わからない。

誰か持ち出そうとしたのだろうか。



Commentary: In the final game there is no safe to be found at that location, but, surprisingly, the 3DS re-release contains an image that looks like a safe:

Image
Internal file name: ITA004.

I cannot say for sure that this is the very same safe Phoenix is talking about, but there are certain facts that point to it.

First, this image is found among other scene-related images...

Image
...like that of Mia's body...

Image
...or the glass stand.

Some of them are used in the game, while others are not.

Second, it's internal file name is "ITA004". The two images above have "ITA003" and "ITA005" as their internal file names respectively.

Third, if you place the safe on the background, it fits perfectly to the scene, although it is hard to pinpoint the exact location: the background was probably edited after the safe had been removed from the scene.

Finally, it looks somewhat similar to the safe from Case 4:

Image

Quite why it is present in the 3DS version but absent in the DS version is a huge mystery.
The 3DS version has all unused content from the DS version, but it also has some unique unused images.

This scene has another unused image, but I will mention it in the "Unused Graphics" section later.




Dialog #2

Place: Outside Mia's office, where the player meets Gumshoe for the first time.
Time: The day after Mia had been murdered.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
The door to the
chief's office.

The police are in there
searching for clues.

I'd better not go in.


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
所長室へ通じるドアだ。

ドアの向こうでは、警官たちが
捜査をしているようだ。

・・・・入らない方がいいな。



Commentary: It seems that originally, during the day when police investigated Fey & Co Law Offices, the player had access to the location outside Mia's office - the one that we see during the episode intro and the one where we meet Gumshoe for the first time. And judging from the text, Mia's office was not a playable location - perhaps the whole conversation with Gumshoe occurred at that place. Kinda makes sense that Phoenix was not allowed to go in there: you know, murder scene and all...



Dialog #3

Place: Fey & Co Law Offices.
Time: The conversation with Gumshoe, after he gives the player "Maya's Cellphone".

Commentary: When you receive "Maya's Cellphone" you can present it to Gumshoe. Doing so will trigger the following text:
Quote:
Phoenix:
(Seems he didn't notice
the recorded conversation...)



Basically, Phoenix repeats the last words he, em, "thought" after he received the cellphone. And that's it - the game switches back to the four-buttons-menu, without a word from Gumshoe. Obviously, something is no right.

It seems the developers simply forgot to change the game logic to the following dialog, because
there is no reason whatsoever to cut it:

English wrote:
Phoenix:
Detective Gumshoe?
Could you take
a look at this?

Gumshoe:
Huh?
I already gave you the
girl's cell phone, pal.

Phoenix:
(Right. I'll have to listen
to that recorded conversation
later.)


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
刑事さん・・・・
あの、これなんですけど・・・・。

Itonokogiri:
なんスか?
電話ならもう返したッス。

Naruhodo:
(よし。後で録音された会話を
聞いてみよう・・・・)






Dialog #4

Place: Detention center.
Time: Before receiving Maya's Cellphone.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
About your cell phone...

Maya:
Yes.

It has a recording of the
conversation I had with my
sister on it...

Say...

If I listened to that,
I could hear my sister's
voice again.



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
携帯電話のことだけど・・・・。

Mayoi:
ああ・・・・。

あれには、お姉ちゃんと
話したことが録音されています。

そうか・・・・考えてみたら、

あれがあれば、またお姉ちゃんの
声が聞けるんだ・・・・。



Commentary: This dialog probably occurred when you showed Maya her memo. The final game has this dialog instead:

Quote:
Phoenix:
I wanted to ask you
about your cell phone...

Maya:
That detective took it
when they brought me in.

Phoenix:
(So, Gumshoe took it...)

(I'll have to try to
get it back next time
I see him...)

Actually, it creates a contradiction. This dialog can occur before meeting Gumshoe at the office. When the player runs across him there, his name box has "???" instead of "Gumshoe", and after this the player is asked to choose the detective's name.

Spoiler: Unused Dialogs: Case 2, Day 2, Court
Dialog #1

Place: District Court, Courtroom No. 1.
Time: When the player presses April May during her second cross-examination.

Commentary: The following unused dialog was supposed to occur during the second cross-examination of April May. It would engage after the player pressed her at this statement:

Quote:
May:
The victim--the woman--dodged
the first attack and ran off
to the right.


English wrote:
Phoenix:
Toward the exit?

Edgeworth:
Just look at the floor plan!

The area that can be
seen from the hotel
is like... this.

The killer was here.
The victim was here.

Now, if the victim were to
move along the wall, toward
the exit door...?

Phoenix:
Right... she would be
going right.

Judge:
Indeed.

Will the witness please
tell the court what
happened next?



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
出口の方へ?

Mitsurugi:
上面図を見てみたまえ。

ホテルから目撃できる
エリアは、こんな感じだ。

犯人はここ、
被害者はここにいた。

被害者が壁ぞいに、出口のドアへ
向かったら・・・・?

Naruhodo:
なるほど・・・・右・・・・か。

Saibancho:
そうですね。

・・・・証人?
それから、どうなりましたか?



In the final version the game uses this dialog instead:

Quote:
Phoenix:
Is that "right" as in your
right, as you looked from
the hotel?

May:
Um... which hand do I
hold my knife in again...?

Right! It was my right
hand! Right?

Edgeworth:
Satisfied, Mr. Wright?
Please continue.


Note that in the unused dialog the fact that Mia runs to the right is pointed out by Edgeworth.

In the final version of the game this contradiction is mentioned by Wright, and it is now part of the objection dialog that occurs during White's cross-examination on the following day, when you present the "May Testimony" evidence to him (the dialog is long, so below is just a relevant snippet):

Quote:
Phoenix:
Wait right there!

Mr. White, you've
dug your own grave!

White:
What is this!?

Phoenix:
You said the victim ran
to the "left."

But that directly contradicts
Miss May's testimony!

She clearly stated that the
victim ran "right"!

White:
...!

Oh hoh hoh. It is simple.
You have misheard her.

Phoenix:
I think not.

Look at the floor plans...

The killer was here.

And the victim, here.

If the victim ran to the
left, as you claim she did...

She would have been running
directly away from the door!

She would have been running
into a dead end!

Don't you find that odd?


I've managed to restore this dialog, here is the video of it.

Spoiler: Unused Dialogs: Case 2, Day 2, Investigation
Dialog #1

Place: Grossberg Law Offices
Time: When the player returns to Grossberg Law Offices after obtaining White's photo.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
Those photos that were
lying there are gone now.

I guess Grossberg
must have stopped in.



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
さっきまであった写真が
なくなっているな。

センセイ、ー度は
帰ってきたのかな・・・・。


Dialog #2

Place: Grossberg Law Offices
Time: When the player returns to Grossberg Law Offices after obtaining White's photo.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
That photo that was
lying there is gone now.

Hmm... I wonder if someone
noticed that one was missing?


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
さっきまであった写真が
なくなっている。

1枚、借りていること、
やっぱりバレてるのかな?


Commentary: In the final game the player sees only this commentary:

Quote:
Phoenix:
(*sigh* He's out again?)

(Huh? No more photos
on the desk...)

Unused Dialogs: Case 3, Day 1, Investigation
Unused Dialogs: Case 3, Day 2, Investigation
Unused Dialogs: Case 4, Day 2, Investigation
Unused Dialogs: Case 4, Day, Court
Unused Dialogs: Case 5, Day 2, Investigation
Unused Dialogs: Case 5, Day 3, Investigation
Unused Dialogs during 3D Evidence examination
Unused Evidence
Unused 3D Models
Unused Questions/Answers
Unused Hints
Unused Graphics

And don't forget to check a tool that allows you to change and install new music in Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS).

Last edited by Dant on Mon May 29, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7227

Oh wow. This is interesting. :edgey:

Quote:
the background of the office with Mia's dead body (...) and Gumshoe is not supposed to be there

*cue suspense music*
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Posts: 3650

Thank god. Jake finally bit it off. That actually felt oddly satisfying. Good stuff
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Dominican Republic

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Posts: 626

This is all actually pretty interesting. #3 being left out seems like a bug so of course the original version was better, but #4 also seems better in many ways to the final version. I wonder why they changed it.
Signature loading, please wait...
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Ultimate Godot Fan

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 am

Posts: 80

Cesar Zero wrote:
This is all actually pretty interesting. #3 being left out seems like a bug so of course the original version was better, but #4 also seems better in many ways to the final version. I wonder why they changed it.


They probably changed it because they like the final version more. (for some reason.)
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." -Godot, 2019.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6030

Speaking of which, back when I was going through the DS script rips, courtesy of Jozerick, I found this particular exchange between Phoenix and Ema, grouped with the dialogues from examining pieces in the court record:

English wrote:
<Ema>
This tape has a label on it.

<Phoenix>
Let me see. Maybe it lists
the time it was recorded.

<Ema>
"Hackoholics Anonymous:
Twelve Steps to Recovery"

<Phoenix>
...

<Ema>
They must have recorded over
an old tape.

<Phoenix>
Yeah, but this evidence is
from the police department!

<Ema>
Why would they have a tape
like that anyway?

<Phoenix>
Let's just hope they got it
off a criminal.


Japanese wrote:
<Akane>
ビデオテープにラベルが
貼ってありますね。

<Naruhodo>
どれどれ。記録した時間なんかが
書かれているんじゃないかな。

<Akane>
《永久保存版!
 湯ケムリ紀行・旅まみれ》
"Save Forever Edition!
Steam Bath Travelogue - Filled with Journeys"

<Naruhodo>
‥‥‥‥‥‥

<Akane>
新しいテープが
なかったんですね、きっと。
Pretty sure they didn't have a new tape.

<Naruhodo>
そ。それにしても、
警察が提出した証拠だぞ!
N-never mind that,
this is evidence the police submitted!

<Akane>
《永久保存版》がつく番組って、
ロクなモノがないですからねー。
Judging by the "Save Forever Edition" of the program,
seems like they didn't have anything good to watch.

<Naruhodo>
‥‥なんか、急に
旅に出たくなってきたよ。
...I suddenly feel like going on a journey myself.


At no point in this episode is another video tape entered into the court record. From the Japanese dialogue, Naruhodo suggests it's a tape the police submitted as evidence. However, the security tape presented in court is not saved into the court record. I can only assume that it was intended as an obtainable piece of evidence, but was later removed because it was unnecessary. (Not to mention, the police recorded over that footage? I know it mostly showed the Blue Badger, but wow, guys.)
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

Rubia Ryu the Royal, actually, I was (and am) going to mention this dialog too.
Quote:
However, the security tape presented in court is not saved into the court record.

You remember it wrong, because the Judge actually submits that tape into the court record and the player can access it. The problem is, in the final game you cannot examine it, you can only view the security camera footage.

I don't wont to jump the gun, but originally the security tape was a viewable 3D item. As you know, in the final game most of the 3D evidence could be examined. And this dialog appeared when you examined the text label on the tape. The actual 3D model and its texture are still in the games (DS and 3DS versions). I will later add the tape's images in the "3D Evidence" section.

I guess it's just another bug, because the footage becomes irrelevant at certain point in the game, yet the player can still access the video through the court record.

Remember the Evidence Law item? Most of the time you can only read it, yet at certain point the player could examine it in 3D. The same would happen to the tape, only the other way around.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6030

Okay, I did misremember that. Thanks for reminding me.

Though, what sort of bug are you referring to regarding the relevance of the footage? It's pretty often that items are left in the Court Record despite having lost their primary purpose(s). This case in particular lacks a scene where Phoenix clears out unneeded evidence, and by the third day of trial, he has a lot of excess baggage.
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Okay, I did misremember that. Thanks for reminding me.

Though, what sort of bug are you referring to regarding the relevance of the footage? It's pretty often that items are left in the Court Record despite having lost their primary purpose(s). This case in particular lacks a scene where Phoenix clears out unneeded evidence, and by the third day of trial, he has a lot of excess baggage.


I mean, after the video itself becomes irrelevant it would be logical to change the Check button function from starting the security video to engaging the 3D evidence mode (since the game already has the tape's 3D model and appropriate dialog). If the game only had the dialog, but no 3D model, then I wouldn't consider it as a bug. It just seems to me that the devs simply forgot to reprogram the evidence.

Actually, the game has similar issues. There are some legitimate dialogs that for some reason do not work in the game. I've already mentioned some of them, and more are coming.

Of course, I cannot be 100% sure. Maybe the devs thought that the joke simply didn't work, and so they decided to simply turn that 3D evidence off.

The first post has been updated with two new sections.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 am

Posts: 25

Dant wrote:

Yep, in the unused animation Jake actually tears that thing off (whatever it is).


It's a strip of dried bacon/meat. I don't know what it is called.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title
User avatar

Ultimate Godot Fan

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 am

Posts: 80

DeiStar wrote:
Dant wrote:

Yep, in the unused animation Jake actually tears that thing off (whatever it is).


It's a strip of dried bacon/meat. I don't know what it is called.


Beef Jerky, maybe? :jake:
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." -Godot, 2019.
Re: Unused content in PW:AATopic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

Let's continue, shall we?

This update is really enormous.

Oh, and I failed to mention one thing: all unused dialogs are perfectly working, it's not just a bunch of text. They contain all the relevant code. Moreover, the control codes in the English dialogs are tailored for the language just like in the rest of the scripts. And why would anyone do this to the unused parts of the game?

I mean, I understand why the devs would leave them in the game (because removing them might break the game), but to make them totally functional? I guess, those cuts were made later in the development cycle. I wonder whether those unused dialogs are present in the GBA scripts... who knows, maybe they contain even more unused dialogs (although highly unlikely - scripts were taken directly from that version. Yes, they had been improved in many ways, but their format remained the same). It turns out those unused dialogs are indeed present in the GBA scripts, but the script files do not contain any new unused dialogs.

Update:
I have managed to restore this early encounter, you can see most of the dialogs below in this video. Note that the question "Your name" is from the game itself; it is also unused, and it is mentioned in the "Unused Questions" section.

Here is the with some unused dialogs.
Note: the question "Your name" is from the game itself; it is also unused, I will later mention it.

Unused Dialogs: Case 3, Day 1, Investigation

This script file is somewhat unique compared to other script files. All the unused dialogs, bar the Dialog #8, are grouped together in one place in the script (let's call it a block). Actually, that's how the text from investigation parts is placed in the script: all the dialogs related to a particular location and time are placed one after another, and they are preceded by the time and the location name - those are displayed when you visit a location. And all the unused dialogs below are part of such block.

Dialogs here depict the encounter with Gumshoe quite differently - basically the whole encounter was discarded and later reimplemented with new dialogs. Who knows, maybe that's why some of the dialogs that could have worked in the game were excluded from the final product.

Judging from all those unused dialogs, the story in this chapter (and, possibly, in the whole episode) would have had significant differences compared to the final game.

This block also contains a regular dialog from the final game, but the game doesn't use it (since it is part of the unused block): it uses one from another block, but they are completely the same:
Quote:
Phoenix:
The entrance to Studio One.

This is the studio where they
found Jack Hammer's body.


Spoiler: Dialog #1
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: When you talk to Gumshoe at that location.

Commentary: This one has been mentioned in Rubia's blog, but she, obviously, couldn't know that it was unused (but she was right about the tape dialog). Anyway, this dialog occurred when you met Gumshoe outside Studio One, and supposedly it was a separate question (those appear when you press the "Talk" button on the bottom screen).

English wrote:
Maya:
Um, Detective?

What was your name
again? Bobby, was it?

Gumshoe:
Dick Gumshoe, pal.

Phoenix:
Right, right! Dick Gumshoe!

Maya:
It's funny your name means
what you do! Kind of like
naming a custodian "Janitor"!

Phoenix:
Yeah, just like prosecutor
"Edgeworth" sounds like a
pretty sharp character.

Still, I like "Gumshoe."
It's got an old-fashioned
ring to it.

Gumshoe:
...

Maya:
Nick. He's not talking again.

Phoenix:
Did... I say something wrong?

(Got to remember, Detective
Gumshoe may have thick shoes,
but he's got a thin skin.)


Japanese wrote:
Mayoi:
あの、あの、刑事さん。

名前、何でしたっけ。
たしか、ナニのこぎり、とか。

Itonokogiri:
自分はイトノコギリ、ッス。

Naruhodo:
ああそう、イトノコギリ!

Mayoi:
でも、なんか。そのズ一タイで
イトノコギリ、もないですよね。

Naruhodo:
それに、ミツルギ! っていうと
切れ味が鋭そうだけど、

イトノコギリ・・・・。
なんか、ジミだよなあ。

Itonokogiri:
・・・・・・・・。

Mayoi:
な、なるほどくん。
また、黙っちゃった。

Naruhodo:
こ、今度はぼくが悪いのか?

(・・・・ちょっと、気をつけた
方がいいな・・・・)


I guess the developers just didn't like the jokes or the way the whole exchange sounded. And, as Rubia sad in her blog, the dialog breaks the 4th wall, so maybe they cut it because of that.

Spoiler: Dialog #2
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: When you talk to Gumshoe at that location.

Commentary: Judging from the text, it was the answer to the question "The investigation", just like in the final game:

English wrote:
Phoenix:
So, how is the police
investigation going?

Gumshoe:
H-hey, pal!
You know I can't
tell you that!

Maya:
Nick...

You might try being a little
less direct about it...

Gumshoe:
I will tell you one
thing, though.

We have hard proof!
Photographic evidence!

Phoenix:
Photographic evidence?

Gumshoe:
Yessir!

A photo of the Steel Samurai
heading toward the scene
of the crime!

Maya:
What!?
Who took that!?

Gumshoe:
The security lady
gave it to me, pal.

Phoenix:
(Uh oh. That sounds like
pretty solid evidence...)

Maya:
Nick, what does that
mean for our case?

Phoenix:
Well, it's pretty bad,
that's for sure!

Only one person went to the
crime scene before the murder.

If they can prove that was
Will Powers... well, that's a
pretty convincing case!

Maya:
Mr. Powers didn't say
anything about going there.

Maybe he's lying to us?



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
あの。今、そちらの
捜査は、どんな感じですか?

Itonokogiri:
そ、そんなコト、
教えるワケにはいかないッス。

Mayoi:
なるほどくん。

さすがに、そんなにストレ一トに
聞いてもダメなんじゃないかなあ。

Itonokogiri:
でも、これだけは
教えてあげるッス。

こっちには、決定的な証拠写真が
あるッス。

Naruhodo:
証拠写真?

Itonokogiri:
そッス。

あのトノサマン野郎が、
現場に向かっている写真ッス。

Mayoi:
え一っ。
ダレが撮ったんですか?

Itonokogiri:
あの警備員からもらったッス。

Naruhodo:
(う一ん、これは、かなり
てごわい証拠になりそうだ・・・・)

Mayoi:
なるほどくん、
それって、そんなに不利なの?

Naruhodo:
そりゃそうだよ。

事件が起こるまでに、現場に行った
人間は、1人しかいないんだ。

それが荷星さんだと立証されたら、
誰が考えたって犯人だよ。

Mayoi:
荷星さん、そんなこと
ー言も言ってなかったのに・・・・。

あたしたちに、
ウソをついているのかなあ・・・・。


Note how Gumshoe says to Phoenix "Yessir!".
In the final game the question remained the same, but the dialog itself changed a lot:

Quote:
Phoenix:
So, how is your investigation
going, Detective?

Gumshoe:
Well, it's... Hey! I can't
tell you that, pal.

Maya:
Nick...

Maybe you need to be a little
more indirect with your
questions?

Phoenix:
Right.
So, Detective, mind if I take
a look at what you got?

Gumshoe:
What I got?

Phoenix:
The autopsy report!
The latest version, if
you please...

Gumshoe:
Hmm... right, right.

Sorry about what happened
last time, pal.

Autopsy Report added to
the Court Record.


In the retail game Gumshoe mentions the photo in another dialog, "Decisive evidence":

Quote:
Phoenix:
What kind of evidence!?

Gumshoe:
Well, that, er, photo.

The photo of the Steel Samurai
heading toward the scene
of the crime!

Maya:
What!
Who took that!?

Gumshoe:
See the camera up
on that gate, pal?

Maya:
The gate? You mean the
one with the welcome sign?

Gumshoe:
Yeah. Whenever someone walks
by, that camera automatically
snaps a photo of them!

Maya:
Oh no!

Nick, he has evidence!
We're finished!

Phoenix:
(Funny, for someone with
hard proof he doesn't look
too happy.)

Gumshoe:
...

Spoiler: Dialog #3
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: When you talk to Gumshoe at that location.

Commentary: This one was also a question to Gumshoe:

English wrote:
Maya:
Will Edgeworth be the
prosecuting attorney for
this case, too?

Gumshoe:
You bet, pal!

Phoenix:
(Ugh. Not again.)

(I'm cursed.)

Maya:
Nick, that reminds me.

I was wondering something
during the last trial.

You know Edgeworth from
before, don't you?

Gumshoe:
Yeah! I was wondering
the same thing, pal.

Phoenix:
Well, kind of, not really...

Maya:
He's acting suspicious!
Wouldn't you agree, Detective?

Gumshoe:
Suspicious alright!
I feel an arrest coming on!

Phoenix:
(I have the right to
remain silent!)



Japanese wrote:
Mayoi:
今度の事件も、御剣検事が
担当するんですか?

Itonokogiri:
その通りッス。

Naruhodo:
(うわあ、またアイツと
やり合うのか・・・・)

(なんか、宿命みたいなものを
感じるよ・・・・)

Mayoi:
そういえば、なるほどくん。

この前の裁判で思ったんだけど、

なるほどくんて、
御剣検事と知り合いなの?

Itonokogiri:
それッス。
自分も気になっていたッス!

Naruhodo:
え、い、いや、別に・・・・。

Mayoi:
アヤシイなあ。
ねえ、刑事さん。

Itonokogiri:
ことと次第によっては、
タイホもありうるッスよ。

Naruhodo:
(・・・・黙秘!)


The omission of this dialog is pretty strange. Either they forgot to add it back to the new script block or they didn't want to reveal who was going to be the player's opponent in that case.

Spoiler: Dialog #4
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: When you talk to Gumshoe at that location.

Commentary: It's not clear whether this dialog was a separate question or it occurred when the player investigated the location. In the script file the cut dialog is placed between the other two deleted questions, so it's likely that originally it was a question:

English wrote:
Maya:
Say, Detective.

Do you know what's
further down this path?

Gumshoe:
I do, but you can't go there.
I can't go either, actually.

Some of the big wigs from
the precinct are plotting.

They're working out a strategy
for the trial tomorrow, see?



Japanese wrote:
Mayoi:
ねえねえ刑事さん。

その道の先には、
何があるんですか?

Itonokogiri:
この先は、ダメッス。
自分が通さないッス。

警察のエラい人たちが、
明日の法廷に向けて、

対策を練ってるッス。


Note the "see" in Gumshoe's speech. In the final game a similar dialog flows like this (it engages when the player examines the road that leads to Studio Two):

Quote:
Phoenix:
Detective Gumshoe, what's
down the path to the left?

It looks like a tree
fell down over the path...?

Gumshoe:
Oh, yeah. That way's kind
of dangerous. You should
stay out, pal.

There's nothing down
there, anyway.

That's where Studio Two
used to be, they tell me.

They don't use it now, though.

It seems that in the early version that road led to some place other than Studio Two.

Spoiler: Dialog #5
Place: Studio One Entrance (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: Upon examining an old signpost (in the final game it would be replaced by the Monkey mascot).

English wrote:
Phoenix:
It's an old signpost.

"Right: To Studio One
Left: To Studio Two"



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
ずいぶん古いみちしるべだ。

《右 ・・・・ 第1撮影スタジオ
左 ・・・・ 第2撮影スタジオ》


Commentary: It seems that in the early version there was no mascot, at least at that location. Instead there was just "an old signpost". In the final game this dialog was replaced by a longer one:

Quote:
Phoenix:
The studio mascot.

I guess it's a monkey
of some kind.

But what kind of monkey has
a nose like that?

He's holding a sign
in his hand.

"Right: To Studio One
Left: To Studio Two"

Maya:
What's up with that
thing!? It looks
kind of... busted.

Gumshoe:
Oh, the wind was pretty
strong yesterday, and
the head broke off.

It took that tree down
with it, too.


And if there was no Monkey mascot, its head couldn't block the path between Studio Two and Studio One... which means the whole story in this episode might have been much different than in the final game - the fact that the road is blocked affects the whole case.

Spoiler: Dialog #6
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: When the player examines something behind Gumshoe.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
I can't see anything with
Detective Gumshoe in the way.


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
刑事さんがジャマをして
奥の方は見えない。


Commentary: As far as I know, in the Ace Attorney series characters cannot physically block the player from examining a location. Funny that Gumshoe indeed blocks the crime scene, albeit in Case 2 (see the Trivia section, although it's just a bug... but still).

Spoiler: Dialog #7
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: Upon examining an infrared sensor that would be replaced by a security camera in the final game.

Commentary: Ever wondered how the security camera was able to snap the photos of those who passed through the gates at Global Studios? Well, originally the security camera was meant to be an infrared sensor:

English wrote:
Phoenix:
An infrared sensor.

This counts the number of
people who have gone in and
out of the studio.

The data is probably stored
someplace else.

There's a number on the
sensor. "ST1-CNT"



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
このスタジオに出入りした
スタッフの人数を記録するための、

赤外線カウンタ一装置だ。

デ一タは、どこか別の場所で
記録されているのだろう。

装置に、プレ一トが貼ってある。
《ST1―CNT.》


It appears the infrared sensor had the "ST1-CNT" number. Compare it to the final dialog:

Quote:
Phoenix:
Hey, there's a
camera here.

Gumshoe:
That's the security camera.
It takes photos of people
going to the studio.

All you have to do is look
at the data and you can see
who went where!

Phoenix:
There's a number plate
on the camera... "ST1-307".

That must be the
camera ID number.

Spoiler: Dialog #8
Place: Global Studios - Main Gate
Time: After the player uses the guard station computer.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
The computer that runs the
studio security cameras.

No point fiddling with this
any more. We have all the data
from the day of the murder.



Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
撮影所内のセキュリティカメラの
映像を管理するコンピュ一タだ。

事件当日のデ一タはいただいたし、
もう操作する必要はないな。


Commentary: This text would kick in upon examining the computer at the studio entrance. It suggests that originally the chapter continued after the main characters had obtained some "data" - in the final game it ends right after they get the security camera photo with Steel Samurai. Note the word "data": most definitely, it wasn't the photo Gumshoe was talking about in Dialog #2, since the security camera is never mentioned in the deleted dialogs. Exactly what it was remains unknown.

Spoiler: Dialog #9
Place: Outside Studio One (the road with the "Welcome" sign).
Time: When you present Gumshoe any non-relevant evidence.

English wrote:
Gumshoe:
Sorry pal, I got no
information for you.



Japanese wrote:
Itonokogiri:
・・・・そんなものをつきつけられても
困るッス。


Commentary: In the final version his reaction is different:
Quote:
Phoenix:
Um, Detective.
Any ideas about this?

Gumshoe:
Look, I don't got time to
look at every little trinket
you got, okay pal?


Last edited by Dant on Mon May 29, 2017 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #2Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Posts: 3650

I loved the part where Phoenix breaks the fourth wall. It sounds strangely in character for him.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #2Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ultimate Godot Fan

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 am

Posts: 80

Southern Corn wrote:
I loved the part where Phoenix breaks the fourth wall. It sounds strangely in character for him.


Maybe it's because I've never seen him break the fourth wall, but it seemed out of character for him to me.
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." -Godot, 2019.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #2Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6030

Interesting finds. Thanks again, Dant.

You dug these up from the DS version, right? Odd that it held dialogue that wasn't released in the final version of the original GBA game. They must have ported absolutely everything from there. I can only surmise that some of them were included as dummy text before applying the final touches. There are actually a lot of them scattered throughout the rips I have, but most are just repeats of normally used stuff. Different ways to access the same dialogue, I guess?

Speaking of variety of access, I still can't get over how massive is the amount of text associated with when talking with Grossberg after Phoenix visits Bluecorp. It passes by so quickly in normal play, but you can actually replay it several different ways with somewhat different dialogue. It's one of the few times in this game that has so much hidden text in one scene. Another from the top of my head would be with confronting Lotta about Gourdy. These are all used text, mind you. Great to know if someone ever speedruns this game.
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #2Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

I did a small update to my previous post, so check it out, guys.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
You dug these up from the DS version, right?

Yes, they are from the DS version.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
They must have ported absolutely everything from there. I can only surmise that some of them were included as dummy text before applying the final touches.

Well, as I wrote, they used the same file format, that's why all the garbage text had been left intact: deleting it might have broken the game.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
There are actually a lot of them scattered throughout the rips I have, but most are just repeats of normally used stuff. Different ways to access the same dialogue, I guess?

Early script files, particularly from case 2, have a lot of redundant (but used) dialogs. For instance, in script #7 (case 2, second investigation) all the "examine" dialogs that occur during the visit to Grossberg's office are repeated for four times!

Note: here I'm talking about the text repetitions in a single script file. You can find similar text from investigation phases in different scripts - this is done for convenience sake. But in case 5 the devs had to make a separate file for 3D evidence dialogs, because the player can examine them anytime.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Speaking of variety of access, I still can't get over how massive is the amount of text associated with when talking with Grossberg after Phoenix visits Bluecorp. It passes by so quickly in normal play, but you can actually replay it several different ways with somewhat different dialogue. It's one of the few times in this game that has so much hidden text in one scene.

Yes, but at least it's easy to test. The worst offender is the first trial day in case 2, where you cross-examine April May. There are like six ways you can tackle it. At the middle of the chapter the game splits into two different branches (when the player can either accuse May of murder or illegal wiretaping). Each main branch later splits into two small sub-branches (the player can either present a wiretap or a phone, AFAIK). Those sub-branches have some common text, though. But after them the dialogs are different. In the end both main branches merge before Phoenix proposes to call the Bellboy. And here the script once again splits, for a short moment.

That chapter gave me the most headache during testing.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Great to know if someone ever speedruns this game.

I sorta did it during the testing phase. Thanks to emulators you can increase the speed of the game by 5 folds and even more, depending on your PC's performance. Since the game has the ability to fast forward the text, you can finish a single chapter withing several minutes (if you know where to go and which evidence to present).

So yeah, you can consider me the first unofficial Ace Attorney 1 speedrunner. :will:

Oh, and since I have an opportunity, I want to thank you, Rubia, for your AA vs GS comparisons - they were really useful to me when I did my translation.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #2.5Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Posts: 3650

I've actually seen a speedrun of the first Turnabout before. It was....interesting.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #2.5Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

The recent discussion piqued my curiosity, and so I decided to data mine the GBA version of the game. I've checked all the graphics and managed to extract all the dialogs. Alas, I haven't found anything special: all unused content from the DS version is there, so yes, the devs brought every unused bit from the GBA version to the DS re-release.

But I didn't go empty-handed, as I recovered two unused images. The first one is the logo of the game with the words "Demo version" in Japanese, and the second one is the image that was shown after the completion of the demo version - the image itself is similar to the ending screen of the English demo of the DS re-release.

Image
"Gyakuten Saiban Demo Version"

Image
The text reads: "Court's in session [this] October!! Enjoy!"

As for the Japanese dialogs, they are basically the same: the text itself has undergone some editing and proofreading (as expected), and as the result some lines were changed a little, others were removed, but nothing major. The only exception is the dialog at the end of case 4 between Karma and the Judge. In the Japanese DS script the devs removed the following dialog:
Quote:
Karuma:
・・・・・・・・

Judge:
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Judge:
あ、あの・・・・狩魔検事?

Karuma:
なんだ。

Judge:
反論は・・・・なさらないんですか?

Karuma:
・・・・・・・・フン。

その必要はあるまい。
・・・・くだらん、言いがかりだ。

Surprisingly, it remained in the English DS version:
Quote:
Judge:
...

...

Judge:
You mean, THE von Karma?
The prosecutor? Sitting
right there?

Karma:
Bah.

Judge:
You... don't object?

Karma:
Hmph.

Karma:
I see no need.
Why honor this ridiculous
outburst with my objection?

I guess they removed it after the scripts had already been sent for translation.

Incidentally, the devs added one dialog to the DS re-release. See Dialog #1 below.

Unused Dialogs: Case 3, Day 2, Investigation
Spoiler: Dialog #1
Place: Studio - Main Gate.
Time: When the player examines the guard post after the rattle in the trailer.
English wrote:
Phoenix:
The security guard station.

I can see the computer that
runs the security cameras.

Penny:
Oh, please don't touch
anything in there.

The security lady would
knock the stuffing out
of me if she knew.

Phoenix:
(I really want the key
to that trailer...)
(Maybe next time...)


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
警備員たちの詰所だ。

セキュリティを管理する
コンピュータが見える。

Yumiko:
あ。詰所の中のものには、
手を触れないでください。

私、あのオバチャンに
ハリ倒されてしまいますから。

Naruhodo:
(コテージのカギを
借りたいんだけど・・・・)

(どうも、今はムリみたいだな)


Commentary: The game contains two instances of the dialog above - one is used and another is not; the only difference between them is the addition of this last line:
Quote:
Phoenix:
(I really want the key
to that trailer...)
(Maybe next time...)

This dialog occurred when the player examined the guard station after the main characters had heard commotion in the trailer. As you can see, the last line reflects that event, yet in the final game this dialog is not used. The most surprising thing is it was specifically added for the DS re-release, yet the English version doesn't use it. So, this is another oversight from the developers, I guess (I wonder if the Japanese version uses it. Can anyone check?).

Spoiler: Dialog #2
Place: Employee area.
Time: When the player examines the drain with channeled Mia.
English wrote:
Mia:
This is the drain where
Cody came in, right?

Phoenix:
Right.

Mia:
My, what a rambunctious lad.

Phoenix:
("Rambunctious lad"?
Do the dead all speak
like that?")


Japanese wrote:
Chihiro:
九太くん、ここから入って
きたんでしょう?

Naruhodo:
そうですよ。

Chihiro:
いいわね、男の子は。
やんちゃで。

Naruhodo:
(“やんちゃ”って、
ひさしぶりに聞いたな・・・・)



Commentary: Once again it's probably another instance of oversight. In the final game we get this observation from Phoenix that he does when he is with Maya:
Quote:
Phoenix:
The drain where the
fanboy came in.

He didn't waste any time
coming in, either. Talk
about cause and effect.

It seems like a trend at this point - I mean, so many legitimate dialogs were omitted, either due to bugs or developers' oversight.


Unused Dialogs: Case 4, Day 2, Investigation
Spoiler: Dialog #1
Place: Caretaker's Shack.
Time: When the player presented the "Safe" evidence, that was later cut, to the Old Man.
English wrote:
Oldman:
Just so's you know,
there isn't any money
in that there safe.

Maya:
Nick!
No money!

Phoenix:
Don't look so disappointed...


Japanese wrote:
Oldman:
言っとくが、カネなんか
入ってないよ。

Mayoi:
入ってないって。
おカネ。

Naruhodo:
なんで残念そうなカオ
するんだよ・・・・。


Commentary: Originally the Old Man's safe was an obtainable evidence, and this conversation occurred when the player showed it to him. The "Safe" evidence is mentioned the "Unused Evidence" section.


Last edited by Dant on Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #3Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

In the previous update I forgot to post a link to the extracted GS1 GBA scripts, so here they are. The archive also includes JAP scripts from the DS version - to facilitate comparison process.

Unused Dialogs: Case 4, Day 3, Court

Spoiler: Dialog #1
Place: District Court, Courtroom No. 3.
Time: When the player objects to Larry's statement during his first cross-examination.

Commentary: Originally, the following statement...

Quote:
Larry:
I looked out over the lake,
but I didn't notice the boat.


...could engage the following "fake" objection dialog, supposedly triggered by the "Lake Photo" evidence (I've depicted it in this video):

English wrote:
Phoenix:
Are you sure there wasn't
a boat on the lake?

Look at this picture, Larry!

There was a boat on the
lake when the gun fired!

Judge:
It's true.
Well, Mr. Butz?

Larry:
W-well, that's great
you got a photo and all,
but...

I wasn't really paying that
much attention when I looked
out over the lake, okay?

I'm not saying there
"wasn't" a boat, just
I didn't see one.

von Karma:
Correct!

The defense has pointed
out a vague statement, not
a contradiction!

Judge:
Hmm...

Judge:
Indeed.

Mr. Butz, you may continue
your testimony.

Phoenix:
(Dammit! I thought I was
on to something there!)

Maya:
It's okay Nick, we'll find
another contradiction...

Phoenix:
Yeah, you're right.


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
湖に、ボ一トはなかった・・・・

しかし、この写真を
見てください!

銃声があったとき、
ボ一トはあったんですよ!

Judge:
そのとおりですね。
・・・・いかがですか? 証人・・・・。

Yahari:
い、いや・・・・。
そんなこと言われてもなあ。

オレ、そんなに注意して
湖を見ていたワケじゃないし、

ボ一トが“なかった”とは
断言してねぇぜ。

Karuma:
そのとおり。

弁護人の指摘は、
ムジュン点とは言えない!

Judge:
・・・・ふむう・・・・。

Judge:
そうですね。

証人。・・・・証言に
もどってください。

Naruhodo:
(くそ! シッパイか・・・・)

Mayoi:
なるほどくん。・・・・別のムジュンを
探してみようよ。

Naruhodo:
そうだね・・・・。



As you can see, it was sort of a red herring. If I recall correctly, this trick is rarely used in the main series. Most likely the developers decided to ditch it because they didn't want to confuse the player. Or it is just another bug/oversight...

Unused Dialogs: Case 5, Day 2, Investigation

Three dialogs in this section are early versions of the regular dialogs that appear in the game, but it is only true for the English script - in the Japanese script there are no differences between them. By looking at the English dialogs it becomes clear that they are not an early translation attempt - there are some crucial differences between the unused and regular dialogs. I guess, the Japanese script file was changed after it had been sent to the translation team. Because of it I won't post the Japanese version of those dialogs.

Spoiler: Dialog #1
Place: The Evidence Room.
Time: When the player sprays Marshall's locker with luminol.

Early English Dialog wrote:
Ema:
Hey!
A reaction!

Phoenix:
If the criminal was running
away normally, you wouldn't
think they'd touch here...

(This could be a big clue!)

Gumshoe:
Hey, pal...
Wow! That's some stuff you
got there!

Ema:
Oh, this?

It's called Luminol Testing
Fluid!

Gumshoe:
Where do they sell that??
Where!?

Ema:
Huh?

Gumshoe:
I want to buy some, too!

I'll go borrow $50 from
the Chief and buy some now!

Phoenix:
So, where do they sell it?

Ema:
Well, I always order mine
through magazine offers...

Phoenix:
(Let's mark this spot on
the floor plans, shall we?)


Regular English Dialog wrote:
Ema:
...!
Why am I getting a reaction
here?

Phoenix:
There's no reason for the
murderer to touch this spot
if he fled out the door.

(This just might be something
significant!)

Gumshoe:
Hey...

That's some pretty amazing
stuff you got there, pal!

Ema:
What, this?

It's called "Luminol Testing
Fluid"!

Gumshoe:
Where'd you get your hands on
that!?

Ema:
Huh?

Gumshoe:
I'd like to get some too!

I'll just borrow 50 bucks from
the Chief!

Phoenix:
Where do you get this, Ema?

Ema:
I always buy it by mail order.

Phoenix:
(Well, I'd better jot this
down on the floor plans.)


Spoiler: Dialog #2
Early English Dialog wrote:

Place: The Evidence Room.
Time: When the player sprays Gumshoe's locker with luminol.
Ema:
Ah hah! Look!

It's a handprint!
Someone's right hand touched
here!

Gumshoe:
Whaaaaaaaaaat!?

Phoenix:
What?

Gumshoe:
This... this locker!
This is mine!

Ema:
This is your evidence locker,
Detective Gumshoe?

Gumshoe:
Hey, pal!When they...
When they arrest me I want
you to do me a favor, okay?

I want you to testify for me,
pal! Tell 'em I was the kind
of guy everyone liked!

Phoenix:
(This is a major clue!
Let's mark the position
on our floor plans.)

Gumshoe:
You can't trust those police!
You'll testify for me, right?

Ema:
But, you're a police officer,
too, Detective Gumshoe!


Regular English Dialog wrote:
Ema:
I knew it!
This is someone's right
handprint!

Gumshoe:
WHAAAAAAT!!?

Phoenix:
What's the matter, Detective?

Gumshoe:
Th-this locker...
It's mine!

Ema:
It's yours?

Gumshoe:
Please!

You have to help me...
When they come to take me
away...

Promise you'll testify that I
wouldn't harm a fly!

You'll do that for me, won't
you, pals!?

Phoenix:
(This is an important clue!
I'll jot it down on the floor
plans...)

Gumshoe:
I'm counting on you guys!
Believe me, you can't trust
the police!

Ema:
What? But you're a detective!


Spoiler: Dialog #3
Place: The Evidence Room.
Time: When the player sprays the area near the broken vase shards.

Early English Dialog wrote:
Phoenix:
Someone lost a lot of blood
here. (I've never seen
anything like this!)

What's your opinion, Detective
Gumshoe? I'm kind of an
amateur in this field...

Gumshoe:
Well...
The blood does look a little
bluish.

Maybe, just maybe...
Detective Goodman was
an alien!?

Ema:
Whatever the case may be, it
does look like the murder
happened here.

Phoenix:
Let's mark it on the
floor plans.

Gumshoe:
So that's it, huh? You're
just going to ignore my
deductions!?


Regular English Dialog wrote:
Phoenix:
There must have been a massive
amount of blood here. (I've
never seen so much before...)

I'm not a professional.
What's your opinion,
Detective?

Gumshoe:
Hmm...
Pale blue blood...

Maybe Detective Goodman...

was actually an alien?

Ema:
This proves that something
really happened in front of
this locker.

Phoenix:
I'll make a note of it on the
floor plans.

Gumshoe:
Hey! If you didn't want my
opinion, you shouldn't have
asked!


Unused Dialogs: Case 5, Day 3, Investigation

Spoiler: Dialog #1
Place: Gant's Office.
Time: When the player examines a piece of paper found inside Gant's table.

English wrote:
Phoenix:
What?
(Something's scribbled here on
the back of the list!)

Gumshoe:
What is it?
Did you find something!?

Phoenix:
(It looks like some sort of
picture. I'd better keep
quiet about this for now...)

No, it's nothing.

Ema:
Why are you sweating, Mr.
Wright?

Phoenix:
(I'd better not forget about
this picture!)


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
な、なんだ・・・・?
(リストのウラに、ラクガキが!)

Itonokogiri:
ん? なんスか。
なんかあったッスか!

Naruhodo:
(なんとも判断しにくい絵だけど
・・・・今は、ヒミツにしておこう)

い、いえ。なんでもありません。

Akane:
成歩堂さん、目が泳いでる・・・・

Naruhodo:
(この絵のコト・・・・
覚えておいたほうがいいな!)


Commentary: This is an early version of the dialog that appears in the final game:
Quote:
Phoenix:
I wonder what this is?
(It looks like someone drew
some kind of sketch here!)

Ema:
What is it? Did you find
something?

Phoenix:
(I can't make it out. I'd
better keep quiet about it
for now.)

Huh? Oh. No, it's nothing.

Ema:
Why are your eyes moving about
like that, Mr. Wright?

Phoenix:
(I'd better not forget about
this picture!)


Note that in the unused dialog Gumshoe had a line, while in the final version he was replaced by Ema, but the line itself remained the same.

Unused Dialogs during 3D Evidence examination

Just a small note: there are two types of 3D Evidence dialogs: the first one engages when Phoenix is with Ema and the other when he is alone. Both types of dialogs occur when the player examines any evidence in 3D mode in Case 5. Since the player can do this anywhere and at any time during Case 5, there is no need to mention the place and, well, the time.

Spoiler: Dialog #1
English wrote:
Phoenix:
He's wearing a really nervous
smile in this picture.

At least for once he's got a
clean-shaven face.


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
キンチョ一のあまり、
エガオがひきつっている。

めずらしく、ヒゲがつるつるに
そり上げられている。



Commentary: This dialog was meant to occur when the player examined Gumshoe's ID card without Ema. In the final game the player has his card for a short period of time, and since Ema never leaves Phoenix while he has the card, it is not possible to activate this dialog.

Spoiler: Dialog #2
English wrote:
Ema:
This tape has a label on it.

Phoenix:
Let me see. Maybe it lists
the time it was recorded.

Ema:
"Hackoholics Anonymous:
Twelve Steps to Recovery"

Phoenix:
...

Ema:
They must have recorded over
an old tape.

Naruhodo:
Yeah, but this evidence is
from the police department!

Ema:
Why would they have a tape
like that anyway?

Naruhodo:
Let's just hope they got it
off a criminal.


Japanese wrote:
Akane:
ビデオテ一プにラベルが
貼ってありますね。

Naruhodo:
どれどれ。記録した時間なんかが
書かれているんじゃないかな。

Akane:
《永久保存版!
湯ケムリ紀行・旅まみれ》

Naruhodo:
・・・・・・・・・・・・

Akane:
新しいテ一プが
なかったんですね、きっと。

Naruhodo:
そ。それにしても、
警察が提出した証拠だぞ!

Akane:
《永久保存版》がつく番組って、
ロクなモノがないですからね一。

Naruhodo:
・・・・なんか、急に
旅に出たくなってきたよ。


Commentary: Originally the player could examine the tape with the security footage of the Evidence Room in 3D - it's model and texture can be found in the game files (see the "Unused 3D Models" section). In the final game the developers either forgot to activate it, or they intentionally disabled it.

Spoiler: Dialog #3
English wrote:
Naruhodo:
"Hackoholics Anonymous:
Twelve Steps to Recovery"

I wonder what the 12 steps
are...?


Japanese wrote:
Naruhodo:
《永久保存版!
湯ケムリ紀行・旅まみれ》

この事件が解決したら、
温泉でも行ってみようか。


Commentary: This description of the tape occurred when Ema was not with Phoenix.

Spoiler: Dialog #4
English wrote:
Ema:
This is a bloodstain, isn't
it?

Phoenix:
Yeah. It was probably left
behind from the switchblade.

Are you absolutely sure this
is your sister's muffler?

Ema:
Yes...

Phoenix:
(So she really did hide the
knife.)

Phoenix:
(But why...?)


Japanese wrote:
Akane:
これ・・・
血のアト、ですよね?

Naruhodo:
飛び出しナイフから
付着したんだろうね。

Naruhodo:
このマフラ一・・・・ まちがいなく、
ともえさんのモノ、なの?

Akane:
は、はい・・・・

Naruhodo:
(やはり・・・・このナイフを
かくしたのは、彼女のようだ)

Naruhodo:
(いったい、なぜ・・・・?)


Commentary: This dialog occurred when the player examined Lana's muffler (scarf) in 3D, which was later removed from the game (see the "Unused 3D Models" section).


Last edited by Dant on Mon May 29, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #4Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

It's the evidence time now.

Note: all unused evidence graphics are also present in Ace Attorney Trilogy for 3DS.

Unused Evidence

Spoiler: Case 4 - Safe
Caption, ENG/JAP:
Image Image

Description, ENG/JAP:
Image Image
Holds the fortunes of the
boat shop caretaker? The
number is "1228."

Commentary: Originally the Old Man's safe was an obtainable item. Judging from this description, by that point in the story the main characters had already known the code of the safe. Although the evidence has been cut, its icon remained in use:

Image
The icon of the safe was left in the game.

The game script contains an unused dialog related to this evidence. It is described in "Unused Dialogs: Case 4, Day 2, Investigation" section under "Dialog #1".

Spoiler: Case 5 - Contradiction Award
Caption, ENG/JAP:
Image Image

Note: In the DS version all evidence have two captions: for the upper and bottom screens respectively. The English "Contradiction Award" title is only found among the upper screen captions.

Commentary: Most likely it is the original name of the "King of Prosecutors" trophy. In the Japanese version it is called "Kenji of the Year" (kenji - prosecutor). In the English version they localized it as "King of Prosecutors" in order to explain the "K" letter on the trophy. Later in the story Edgeworth explains why the trophy consists of a shield and a halberd (actually it is a spear, don't know why they mistranslated it as halberd). It is revealed that it symbolizes a "contradiction". A fitting name for this trophy.

Spoiler: Case 5 - Transferal Request
Caption, ENG/JAP:
Image Image

Description, ENG/JAP:
Image Image
Evidence transferal request.
Submitted by Detective Goodman.
Touch the Check Button for deta[ils.]

Note: The description graphics is already misaligned, it is not due to incorrect extraction.

Commentary: It seems this evidence was originally used instead of "Goodman's Lost Item Report".
In addition, it was also viewable by the player.

Unused 3D Models

Note: screenshots of the unused 3D models were taken from Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS), while textures were extracted from the DS version. The 3DS re-release uses 3D models and textures taken directly from the DS version. And while the 3D models faired fine, due to the image format used by the Trilogy re-release, the textures became ridden with horrible compression artifacts. That is why the textures below are from the DS version.

Spoiler: Lana's Muffler
Note: for some reason the DS version contains two instances of the muffler texture.
Note 2: this evidence has no caption graphics, but in the game it is referred to as Lana's muffler or simply muffler/scarf.

Image
Initial position, front side.

Image
Left side.

Image
Backside.

Image
Texture.

Commentary: The game contains an unused 3D model of Lana's muffler. It has three additional images: two icons for the top and bottom screens (they are the same) and a thumb image for the Court Record menu - only the top screen icon is used in the final game.

Image
Big icon is used in the game...

Image
... but the thumb image is not.

The thumb icon suggests that Lana's muffler was once an actual evidence, because otherwise there was no need for it. It also has a corresponding dialog, which can be found in the "Unused Dialogs during 3D Evidence examination" section under "Dialog #4".

The muffler has a bloody spot on its inner side that probably activated the above mentioned dialog.

I guess, the player received this evidence alongside the Switchblade Knife brought by Gant, and since it served no purpose further in the story the devs decided to cut it.

Spoiler: Security Video
Image
Initial position.

Image
Top side.

Image
Bottom side.

Image
Backside.

Image
English texture.

Image
Japanese texture.

Commentary: Originally it was possible to examine the tape with the security camera footage in 3D mode. It had two related dialogs (see the "Unused Dialogs during 3D Evidence examination" section under "Dialog #2" and "Dialog #3"). In the final game it is only possible to view the corresponding video.

Spoiler: SL-9 Incident Files
Image
Initial position.

Image
The top side contains some sort of package.

Image
Front side.

Image
Bottom side.

Image
Backside.

Image
Left side.

Note: the following 3D objects are from two separate files, but they are part of the main 3D model since they all share the same set of textures.

Image
Paper 1, top. Was presumably inside the topmost package.

Image
Paper 1, bottom. The aforementioned package.

Image
Paper 2, bottom. It is hard to tell where it was situated.

Image
Paper 2, top.

Image
Texture 1.

Image
Texture 2.

Image
Texture 3.

Image
Texture 4.

Commentary: It seems the "SL-9 Incident Files" evidence had its own 3D model. In the final version the player can only read the summary of the SL-9 incident. It must be noted that the overall look of the 3D model varies from the evidence icon used in the final game:

Image
SL-9 Incident Files icon.

As you can see, the icon depicts a stack of documents with Paper 1 on top of it, while the 3D model has some sort of package at the top. The screenshot above shows that Paper 1 is actually part of the package. It's quite possible that Paper 1 in the icon covers the package seen in the 3D model. Maybe the player had to examine the package to reveal Paper 1 below it?

There is also Paper 2, but it is not clear were it was placed in the stack of documents and whether it was used at all - it could just be a prop object.


Last edited by Dant on Mon May 29, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #5Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6030

"For the best prosecutor of the year, we award you this contradiction award" probably would not have gone well with Edgeworth.
Interesting they translated it into English, even though the name wouldn't make sense to anyone who didn't know the Chinese contradiction legend. It's more obvious in Japanese since the word "mujun" is written with the same characters as its Chinese counterpart. (I found it odd that Takumi didn't write out the characters whenever he mentioned "mujun", since it's a fairly common term to write either with kanji or without. Then again, it is Takumi-esque to write common kanji in katakana instead. That's one tradition that has been consistent throughout the series.)
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #5Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

Unused Questions/Answers

Questions appear on the bottom screen when you talk to characters during investigations.

Note: graphics of the same type are usually grouped together. Questions and Answers graphics are for the most part sorted based on their appearance in the game, but there are exceptions to this rule.

Spoiler: Questions
Image Image
"Your Name"

This is the only unused question. There are two instances of it in the game resources - the first one appears at the beginning of the Questions graphics section, right before the "What happened" and "You and the chief" questions. They appear during the first encounter with Maya, and that means that originally the player could ask Maya three questions, instead of two. Looks like it was removed to streamline the game: in the end she mentions her name right before the player is able to talk to her.

Its second instance can be found between the "The director, at al." and "The producer" questions from Case 3. Some of the preceding questions are from the conversation with Penny Nicols and the following questions appear when you meet Sal Manella. "Your Name" could fit both events, but most likely, it is the remnant of the early version of the encounter with Gumshoe (see the "Unused Dialogs: Case 3, Day 1, Investigation" section under "Dialog #1"): one of the dialogs begins with the words "Um, Detective? What was your name again? Bobby, was it?".

Spoiler: Answers
Answers mostly appear on the bottom screen during court proceedings and affect the course of actions.

Image Image
Examine closely

***

Image
Dust for fingerprints

Seemingly has no corresponding Japanese graphics.

***

Image
検出する ("Detect")

Might be related to the previous graphics, although the Japanese text does not mention any prints. It could possibly be used by the game, but I'm not sure.

***

Image
Don't disturb the scene

Has no corresponding Japanese graphics (can't say for sure since there are more then 300 files in the Japanese section and I haven't checked them all - I am simply not that good at Japanese).

***

Image Image
Prove with video

Image Image
Prove with evidence

It seems they were used during Mike Meekins' cross examination. I guess those answers appeared around the time when Edgeworth asked Wright whether there was something wrong with the security video. "Prove with evidence" could have been a red herring.

***

Image Image
Deny request

Image Image
Let Lana speak

At the end of the game, during the last trial day, Gant appears in the court and informs everyone that Lana has something important to say. She then goes to the stand and asks the court to allow her to make a statement and the judge agrees. Those answers suggest that it was up to the player to allow her to speak or not to.

Unused Hints

Those hints appear at the top screen during certain events, for example when you have to choose between two or three answers ("Choose your answer").

Spoiler:
Image Image
Examine blood traces (do not confuse with "Connect the blood traces" used in the game)

Image Image
Examine fingerprint (do not confuse with "Select which finger to examine" used in the game)

Image Image
Select fragment (vase fragment)

Image Image
Angle vase as shown

Image Image
Submit Lana Skye's picture
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #6Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Posts: 11

So, here is the final update.

Unused Graphics

Spoiler: DS version
***

Image
A dummy image for an age box (used for evidence description in the Japanese version). Literally says "Dummy".

***

Image
Japanese bubbles from the GBA version. Stored as a single image rather then separate sprites. Since it lacks any palette, I had to use the GBA bubbles palette. This image also appears in the 3DS version.

***

Image Image
GBA button icons and GBA UI "Press" and "Present" buttons. Those images are from the 3DS version - they are in the DS version too, I just cannot find them.

***

Image Image
Those buttons are used only in the Japanese version: they allows you to switch the language of the game just like in Ace Attorney Trilogy for 3DS.

***

Image
Some unknown tape icon.

***

Image
This is supposedly an unused court door that is shown after the player loses a trial. Also appears in the 3DS version.


***

Image Image Image Image Image
Dummy icons from Case 5 (see Trivia below).

Spoiler: 3DS version
Note: The following images do not appear in the DS version.

Note 2: Many regular images/sprites have multiple duplicates - they are not mentioned here since they look the same and are basically garbage files.

***

Image
The demo version logo (it's almost a tradition now).

***

Image Image
The ending screen of the demo version.

***

Image
Another image from the demo version that explains the bottom screen controls.

***

Image
The notice screen from the demo version.

***

Image
"[You] lost the case!". Internal file name: "haiso".

Phoenix is sitting under a spotlight, with his back to the viewer, embracing his knees. Note the low resolution nature of the image. This picture is directly related to the next one.

***

Image
"Sabaiban". Internal file name: "haiso2".

Sabaiban (or Surviban) was the original title of the game, it is a portmanteau of "Survival" and "Saiban" (trial).

This could be the original logo from that time, but even so, it's not clear what it's doing in the 3DS re-release. This image certainly does not appear in the DS and GBA versions. Maybe it's some kind of in-house joke?

***

Image
Internal file name: "glass". Some rather strange image...

***

Image Image

The first image has already been mentioned in the "Unused Dialogs: Case 2, Day 1, Investigation" section - it is an unused image of the portable safe that was supposedly present at the crime scene in Mia's office. The second item was also at that location - it appears to be some sort of clock.

There is an early draft of the undamaged office that for the most part resembles the office from the final game:
Image
There is an item on the table on the left that looks somewhat similar to the item in question. Also note the item near the light stand - it is hard to tell what it is, but it could be the aforementioned portable safe. Of course, it could also be an aquarium.

***

Image
This looks like an early version of the Parking Lot Floor Plans from Case 5.

***

The following images feature transparent silhouettes of defense attorneys and prosecutors:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

***

Image
Lower part of the safe from Case 5, but without a keypad.

***

Image
Unused flash animation frame from AA2-3.

***

Image
"Placeholder". This placeholder is based on the image from the DS version of the game.

***

Image
This placeholder is basically a screenshot from the DS version. For some reason the hint features bigger font and blue background. It was probably used for test purposes.

***

Image Image
Unknown graphics from AA3.

***

Image
Image
Unused quit graphics.

***

Image
Unused English font table from .bch file. In the final game all fonts use BCFNT format.

***

Sprites from the DS version that were probably used for test purposes:
Image
Image
Image
Image

***

The following images are dummy files:

Image
"Dummy Logo. The yellow and blue logo is bg044. Please, replace it." - not sure if I got it right, correct me if I'm wrong.

Image Image

Image Image

***

Miscellaneous images:

Image
Image
"daleted (sic)". There are three instances of this image - the third one doesn't have this mistake.
Image
Image

Spoiler: Trivia
***

The US version contains the Japanese version of the game, excluding the Japanese scripts which are replaced with dummy files (although AA2 and AA3 do contain them). It's not surprising, since the Japanese version includes the English localization, which you can activate through the main menu (just like in Ace Attorney Trilogy for 3DS).

***

The sound of the gun shot in Case 4 intro is actually a reused sound of Berretta M92 from Resident Evil (PS1).

***

At the end of the last investigation day in Case 5, after Gant spots Phoenix, Ema and Gumshoe in his office, the game automatically moves you to the Detention Center and precludes you from leaving it. Judging from control codes in the script, originally the player weren't forced into that location - instead they could explore all the available places. The developers probably did it to avoid unnecessary wandering.

***

There is Maya's profile in Case 1 files - a remnant from the time when Case 2 was the first episode in the game.

***

There's also Mia's profile in Case 5 files - maybe originally she had a more prominent role in this case?

***

Case 5 has at least five unused evidence slots. There is a way to activate them - they contain dummy icons, but reuse the description from Mia's profile.
Re: Unused content in PW:AA, Update #6Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2203

Dant wrote:
The sound of the gun shot in Case 4 intro is actually a reused sound of Berretta M92 from Resident Evil (PS1).


Ha, that's Mori (Sound Effects)'s work. He was a late addition to the team after two people left the original AA team, because they just didn't had enough people and the project was on the brink of cancellation. Mori was brought in to save the project, bu he had to work on both the RE and AA teams at the same time.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO