Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 2 of 2[ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 


Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

The cape is self-fluttering

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2781

GoingforMiles wrote:
Edgeworth inspires frothing desire from me. No, seriously, he is inspiring. I think he's the one who has the best character development throughout the series (now, I have yet to meet him in Dual destinies) and... well. He just gets to me straight through the screen. I think part of it (besides him being plain awesome) is because some parts of him remind me of myself and he shows those things are nothing you have to try to change, people will get you anyway. He's grown so much.


This so much. Well, the AAI segments are debatable (reversing character development in order to build it back up, lol wut).

But damn, I love a man who practices what he preaches. It's sexy.

Gumshoe is pretty inspiring due to his undying loyalty and drive. Even when he's down, no one can keep him down; he gets an A+++ for effort even when they take his badge.

I also find Maya inspiring to some degree; despite her own insecurities in feeling useless, comparing her supposedly inferior self to an accomplished career woman such as Franziska, and wanting to run away from her duties as future Master, she finds her inner strength and keeps it together for the sake of her little cousin, who was burned by Morgan's schemes just as badly, if not more.

Moe, for all his terribad jokes and immature whining in court, gets bonus points for stepping up when it counts and taking over the circus as ringleader. Well, hey, if he can make Max Galactica a believer, that's inspiring, right?

If you take a snapshot of Adrian from 2-4 and 3-2 and hold them side by side, there is a woman who has overcome so much within a year. Going from a previously suicidal person who lived in constant fear of being hurt by others to a more confident woman with friends and a restored faith in people (okay, and the occasional tendency to spaz) is pretty inspiring.

Phoenix, of course, "holds fast to his undying belief" and works to defend and save those in need. He's been regarded as "simple" but if not for him, a lot of the characters mentioned here would not have had the chance to become inspiring people in their own way.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?nTopic%20Title
User avatar

Athena's biggest fan

Gender: Female

Location: The Kalos Region

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:44 am

Posts: 68

I never really found any character inspiring until DD (Sorry, Maya... Maybe Lana?) But when Athena came around, I discovered that she's the physica(kinda)l manifestation of my ideal self, who and what I want to be. She embodies the strength and happiness I desire in myself. She overcomes her fear, as I wish to. And now that I think about it, Phoenix is awesome. You could scoff at his blind faith at times, but at the end of the day, the world would be a much better place if we had more people in it like him.
The Nonchalant Rage officially premiers next month on YouTube. Subscribe now:
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

ZanarkandGabe wrote:
I find Phoenix to be inspirational. Phoenix's unorthodox ways of doing things are because of the fact that his mindset is not like that of a typical attorney. Hes not like Edgeworth or Godot[Francisca etc.] who are extremely well-versed when it comes to being an Attorney. Phoenix is just a normal guy who wants to help people. He represents how a lawyer should be...someone who does his or her best to find the truth and protect people even if it means losing a case.


Seriously? I think if every attorney were like Phoenix, there would be nobody to defend criminals.
"The truth truth truth truth"
Look people, I know it's nice to "search for the truth", but an attorney is first and foremost a SOPHIST. They use logic and reasoning as they please because their duty is to defend the rights of the people, not being politically correct!!
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Athena's biggest fan

Gender: Female

Location: The Kalos Region

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:44 am

Posts: 68

dangerousoffender wrote:
ZanarkandGabe wrote:
I find Phoenix to be inspirational. Phoenix's unorthodox ways of doing things are because of the fact that his mindset is not like that of a typical attorney. Hes not like Edgeworth or Godot[Francisca etc.] who are extremely well-versed when it comes to being an Attorney. Phoenix is just a normal guy who wants to help people. He represents how a lawyer should be...someone who does his or her best to find the truth and protect people even if it means losing a case.


Seriously? I think if every attorney were like Phoenix, there would be nobody to defend criminals.
"The truth truth truth truth"
Look people, I know it's nice to "search for the truth", but an attorney is first and foremost a SOPHIST. They use logic and reasoning as they please because their duty is to defend the rights of the people, not being politically correct!!

Oooh. Good point indeed. :udgey:
The Nonchalant Rage officially premiers next month on YouTube. Subscribe now:
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 am

Posts: 145

dangerousoffender wrote:
ZanarkandGabe wrote:
I find Phoenix to be inspirational. Phoenix's unorthodox ways of doing things are because of the fact that his mindset is not like that of a typical attorney. Hes not like Edgeworth or Godot[Francisca etc.] who are extremely well-versed when it comes to being an Attorney. Phoenix is just a normal guy who wants to help people. He represents how a lawyer should be...someone who does his or her best to find the truth and protect people even if it means losing a case.


Seriously? I think if every attorney were like Phoenix, there would be nobody to defend criminals.
"The truth truth truth truth"
Look people, I know it's nice to "search for the truth", but an attorney is first and foremost a SOPHIST. They use logic and reasoning as they please because their duty is to defend the rights of the people, not being politically correct!!


Hm... I disagree. With parts of both points, really.

I agree that: 1) Phoenix is unorthodox as a lawyer, even in-universe; 2) Phoenix wants to help people, whatever the cost; and 3) If every attorney was like Phoenix, there would be no one to defend criminals.

Real-world attorneys are businesspeople above all else. They don't have a duty to defend anyone's rights - they have a job to win cases for their clients. The truth of a situation is often less important than whose lawyer is a better practitioner, and to whom the jury is more sympathetic. Phoenix has the liberty to be choosy with his clients, and to turn his back on them if they turn out guilty; it's unfair to equate his circumstances with any real legal system.

I think you're misinterpreting the intention of ZanarkandGabe's post. They never said that every attorney should be like Phoenix, simply that the world would be better if more lawyers (and possibly people in general?) had his ideals. They phrased it so that I can't entirely agree (as I said, Phoenix is certainly not a model lawyer in a real-world situation) but I think the heart of the matter is still valid: Phoenix is a kind soul who wants to help people, and wants to make certain that people aren't punished for crimes they didn't commit. It's not his methods that are inspirational, I don't think, so much as his ideology. He believes the best in people, and believes the truth of a situation is more important than his biases or his material gain.

Even in-universe, the legal system is against Phoenix. It works on a guilty until proven innocent basis, there are prosecutors using dubious means to get guilty verdicts no matter what - Phoenix has the faith and the guts to believe he can change that. He's not a product of the system, but an outlier trying to right wrongs.

And I don't know how you interpret "politically correct", but often lies are softer than the truth. I think the pursuit of truth is difficult both logically and emotionally - as human beings, we're prone to cling to what we know rather than branch out and deduce the cold, hard facts. If more people were so simultaneously kind, clever, and selfless as Phoenix, I think it's hard to argue that the world would be a better place.

TL;DR - Phoenix is not a model lawyer, but he does represent a certain idealism and doggedness that are respectable qualities to have. It's unlikely to even happen, but if the legal system were geared towards finding the truth rather than personal victory, the world would certainly be more just.
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Interested in the Supernatural

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 am

Posts: 26

Hotti wrote:
:edgy: He's the best, he's always serious and his
:objection:
it's the best of the game


I really like Ambassador Alba's objection.
It's so deep and serious.
Wright :phoenix: worth. :edgey:
That is all.


Last edited by CandyHolly on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Interested in the Supernatural

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 am

Posts: 26

Feenie- Fights for the truth, doesn't give up, believes in people (almost to a fault :evil: :dahlia: )
it does seem like he can't hate anyone.

Well, maybe.

:tigre: :redd: :karma:
Wright :phoenix: worth. :edgey:
That is all.
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7686

Klavier's attitude (with some, eh, notable exceptions *cough* "=Talk -> The missed cue (again)=") and outlook on things.

Klavier:
That is why I try to at least
remain simple inside.

And I keep a simple goal:
to discover the truth.

Apollo:
......

Klavier:
That's why I like to keep
relations civil, ja?

Klavier:
...That is all.

I find it admirable how sincere and straight-forward he is, that he's pragmatic but also easygoing, and friendly. He seems to just take things as they are and go with the flow while sticking firmly to his principles and sense of justice. And yeah his head gets a bit inflated at times but he also seems to have a general good sense of self. He's comfortable in his own skin and he knows exactly who he is and what his deal is.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Posts: 22

:edgeworth:
:redd:
:athena:
:wellington:
:tigre:
:cards:
:atmey:
:valant:
:justice:
:portsman:
:pft:

I thought these characters were inspirational in different ways.
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7686

Dare I ask in what way you found Furio Tigre inspirational? :hobohodo:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Lexicon of Knowledge

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Posts: 4432

I mean, he's one of the best worst imitators I've ever seen. Convincing the court that he really was Phoenix…that's pretty inspirational, I guess.
Coming soon...
Image
Re: Which characters do you find inspirational?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7686

You can accomplish anything you want to with a little confidence and cardboard!
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Page 2 of 2 [ 52 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO