Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)

Page 2 of 2[ 76 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Vera Misham - Artist or ARTIST?Topic%20Title

Powers Fan

What was the pun?O_O
:agent-Smith: "You just wish you could talk in Webdings."

Come play Ghost Trick Mafia!

Surf's Up!

Salutation Here wrote:
Spoiler: 4-4
To claim to know Phoenix isn't the client would be perjury. Drew has already committed enough crimes, he doesn't need to add to them. Also, he didn't know that the page was going to be used as evidence.

You do know that perjury isn't a crime in the AA universe (apparently). :nick:

Attorney

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Salutation Here wrote:
Spoiler: 4-4
To claim to know Phoenix isn't the client would be perjury. Drew has already committed enough crimes, he doesn't need to add to them. Also, he didn't know that the page was going to be used as evidence.

You do know that perjury isn't a crime in the AA universe (apparently). :nick:

The judge did catch that once, apparently. Don't remember which case though.

-----

Vera is one of my most favorite Ace Attorney characters. =3 I like her quiet, and shy nature. She avoids the world, because...she thinks that there are too many bad people out there.

Quote:
Vera: I..don't go outside much. I like to paint here.
Phoenix: Why don't you like the outside?
Vera: There's bad people out there.
Phoenix: Well, true, but there're lots of good people, too.

Vera is innocent. She never knew that forgery is a crime.

Spoiler:
There is no one to blame for Phoenix losing his badge but Kristoph. He's the one pulling all the strings in Cases 1 and 4.

Avy-Court Records.

Last edited by Ayanami on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Powers Fan

We could blame Zak! : D No one would ever question us!
:agent-Smith: "You just wish you could talk in Webdings."

Come play Ghost Trick Mafia!

Gettin' Old!

I'd question it.... :nick-sweat:
I found Zak kinda cool...not as cool as Valant but...

Anyway Vera was awesome, she was real purdy and cute :bellboy: especially when she smiled and she was just so wuvly :garyuu:

Also theres no way Kristoph can escape and get her, he was already in jail when Apollo laid a whole other conviction on him he's gotta be getting the death sentence this time.

I never really hated Drew...are we really criticising him for NOT lieing on the stand and saying "No I didn't make that" he's one of the few honest people on the witness stand. Though really I'm surprised they didn't ask for any evidence of Nick contacting Drew but...then again I think the Judge was more bothered by the fact he presented forged evidence rather than if he commisioned it or not....forgers need receipts.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Apollon Flame

I have sympathy over Vera since she wasn't quite well introduced to the world outside her home. Thinking that a nail polisher could prevent her from getting kidnapped is quite delusional, even for those in age 19 or older.
A King

in name

alone...

i feel pretty

Saloma wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
I wanted more info about her kidnapping.

They just threw in an, "Oh, she was kidnapped" as an excuse without developing that at all :sadshoe:

I was half expecting them to blame that on Kristoph too.

I kind of liked Vera, but she just didn't fit as a defendant. She seemed way more like a witness type (they're the ones that have such quirks, rite). I can actually see her being a returning character though, so maybe she'll be fleshed out if she comes back in the next game.

Actually, in the case maker game in working on, she'll be appearing in one of the cases (the same one that i'll be making a cameo in :bellboy: ) as a witness, but happier and more outspoken than before, to show how much her quality of life has improved. that'll take some good spriting though...

Keep your hand at the level of your eyes

I lies. Vera and Machi are my fav AJ defendants.

I'm sorry Vera!!!!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!
"Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the carekindness, and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward." --Og Mandino

PsychoDahlia?!

Oh, I really hated Vera. I thought Drew was a really nice and caring father (even though he was a bit misleading)... I was SO annoyed when Vera woke up, but I could see the "twist" coming a mile away.
The only way she could have been redeemed was if she had actually murdered her father and unveiled a sick and twisted personality. :larry: Oh! Why can't they listen to me?!
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!

i feel pretty

The Red Dahlia wrote:
Oh, I really hated Vera. I thought Drew was a really nice and caring father (even though he was a bit misleading)... I was SO annoyed when Vera woke up, but I could see the "twist" coming a mile away.
The only way she could have been redeemed was if she had actually murdered her father and unveiled a sick and twisted personality. :larry: Oh! Why can't they listen to me?!

:fire: GTFO

PsychoDahlia?!

Lind_L_Tailor wrote:
The Red Dahlia wrote:

...if I knew what that meant I might be offended...

Anyway, I did like Vera's drawings, etc. And Drew was a pretty good artist as well!
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!

i feel pretty

The Red Dahlia wrote:
Lind_L_Tailor wrote:
The Red Dahlia wrote:

...if I knew what that meant I might be offended...

Anyway, I did like Vera's drawings, etc. And Drew was a pretty good artist as well!

GET
THE
F***
OUT

PsychoDahlia?!

Lind L Tailor: Well sheesh! The topic is Vera Misham - Artist or ARTIST?, and I like her art, so don't swear at me please! :chinami:

I loved how this painting she did is based on some random story about a magic beetroot or something... :gant:

Last edited by The Red Dahlia on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

i feel pretty

The Red Dahlia wrote:
Linda Tailor: Well sheesh! The topic is Vera Misham - Artist or ARTIST?, and I like her art, so don't swear at me please! :chinami:

I loved how this painting she did is based on some random story about a magic beetroot or something... :gant:

Linda Tailor? COME ON!

PsychoDahlia?!

The Red Dahlia wrote:
Lind L Tailor: Well sheesh! The topic is Vera Misham - Artist or ARTIST?, and I like her art, so don't swear at me please! :chinami:

Fix'd (sorry, typo)

Moo.

Lind_L_Tailor wrote:
The Red Dahlia wrote:
Linda Tailor: Well sheesh! The topic is Vera Misham - Artist or ARTIST?, and I like her art, so don't swear at me please! :chinami:

Linda Tailor? COME ON!

Don't worry, I've seen worse. I saw a Lindy Tailor. Wait...
Moo.

i feel pretty

Grancko-H wrote:
Lind_L_Tailor wrote:
The Red Dahlia wrote:

Linda Tailor? COME ON!

Don't worry, I've seen worse. I saw a Lindy Tailor. Wait...

:holdit:
That was you, wasn't it?

(But seriously, Linda?)

The poor girl had zero personality. D:
At least her paintings were good, I probably definitely wouldn't be able to do anything like that.

IT'S A STEPLADDER, DAMMIT.

Spoiler: For length
I really don't see how being shy immediately means you have no personality. I know a lot of shy people who are very interesting once you get to know them. And I think it's really pompous to assume that just because somebody isn't bouncing around like Maya, he or she is automatically a flat character. Just because they don't tell you every damn thing about themselves, they're suddenly boring? People are entitled to secrets.

Vera was certainly shy and terse, but some people are just like that. It's unfair to detest Vera so adamantly just because when she was a little kid she made a forgery for her dad without even knowing that what she was doing was wrong. She made those forgeries because her father asked her to, and it made her happy to see how pleased he was with them. She didn't know that what she was doing was illegal, nor did she know that what she was doing lost Phoenix Wright his badge. Vera was heavily sheltered by her father, having never experienced people in a social setting, and that's probably why she's so timid around others. She's not doing it on purpose, and I think it was very interesting of the writers to put in a character whose backstory and personality are so mysterious and vague for most of the game. It made it interesting, for me, anyway. Made me want to know more about her.

Saying she's ugly is needless, because she's not. It seems like just another word to use when you can't think of a better insult, so for Christ's sake, think about why you hate her instead of just saying you hate her. It's sort of like Twilight. You bash it for a reason. Not just because it's a terrible piece of literature. (well, actually, that's a lie. bad example.)

Also, I've heard that people just hate her because she's the reason Phoenix lost his badge, and therefore the reason the Phoenix Wright arc ended. Get over it. Capcom wasn't going to make ten billion Phoenix Wright games; this isn't The Legend of Zelda. Not all characters last forever. I'm sure Phoenix would have retired anyway, eventually, regardless of whether he presented that forged evidence in the game (gargh i hate how they make it mandatory that you present it!! bleh.)
It's sad that Phoenix isn't a lawyer anymore. Okay, weep weep. I find it cool that he came on to be a mentor in the AJ games (and the most badass mentor EVER). But that doesn't make it fair for you to hate every other game in the Gyakuten Saiban/Kenji series that isn't about him.
Just to be clear: this is my opinion. I'm not bitching at anybody. I'm just bitching. ouo;

I'd better put spoiler tags on this because it's so long. o_o;

Vickinator wins the whole Internet.
devART ~ Fanart Thread

Gettin' Old!

:sadshoe: Personally I thought she was a beautiful girl. Ya and agree with incendiary that just because she's shy doesn't mean she's got no personality. I consider shyness itself an aspect of personality and I liked it for a change. Someone who was sweet but NOT evil unlike Dahlia.

And when she was a kid she was so cute and happy like :garyuu:

And for anyone who blames her for Nick losing his badge your blaming the wrong person, it's like when

Spoiler: JFA final case
De Killer killed for Matt Engarde, the judge didn't blame De Killer, he was just a tool required to get the job done, the real culprit was Matt the guy who commisioned him

So stop hating Vera and start hating Kristoph dammit! :megaphone:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Keep your hand at the level of your eyes

Incendiary wrote:
Spoiler: For length
I really don't see how being shy immediately means you have no personality. I know a lot of shy people who are very interesting once you get to know them. And I think it's really pompous to assume that just because somebody isn't bouncing around like Maya, he or she is automatically a flat character. Just because they don't tell you every damn thing about themselves, they're suddenly boring? People are entitled to secrets.

Vera was certainly shy and terse, but some people are just like that. It's unfair to detest Vera so adamantly just because when she was a little kid she made a forgery for her dad without even knowing that what she was doing was wrong. She made those forgeries because her father asked her to, and it made her happy to see how pleased he was with them. She didn't know that what she was doing was illegal, nor did she know that what she was doing lost Phoenix Wright his badge. Vera was heavily sheltered by her father, having never experienced people in a social setting, and that's probably why she's so timid around others. She's not doing it on purpose, and I think it was very interesting of the writers to put in a character whose backstory and personality are so mysterious and vague for most of the game. It made it interesting, for me, anyway. Made me want to know more about her.

Saying she's ugly is needless, because she's not. It seems like just another word to use when you can't think of a better insult, so for Christ's sake, think about why you hate her instead of just saying you hate her. It's sort of like Twilight. You bash it for a reason. Not just because it's a terrible piece of literature. (well, actually, that's a lie. bad example.)

Also, I've heard that people just hate her because she's the reason Phoenix lost his badge, and therefore the reason the Phoenix Wright arc ended. Get over it. Capcom wasn't going to make ten billion Phoenix Wright games; this isn't The Legend of Zelda. Not all characters last forever. I'm sure Phoenix would have retired anyway, eventually, regardless of whether he presented that forged evidence in the game (gargh i hate how they make it mandatory that you present it!! bleh.)
It's sad that Phoenix isn't a lawyer anymore. Okay, weep weep. I find it cool that he came on to be a mentor in the AJ games (and the most badass mentor EVER). But that doesn't make it fair for you to hate every other game in the Gyakuten Saiban/Kenji series that isn't about him.
Just to be clear: this is my opinion. I'm not bitching at anybody. I'm just bitching. ouo;

I'd better put spoiler tags on this because it's so long. o_o;

Amen my friend.

...but I do like the Legend of Zelda...

Does anyone other than me think that Wocky and Vera would be a cute couple? Or have I just been sucked into some crazy crack pairing?
"Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the carekindness, and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward." --Og Mandino

OBJECTION! BOTH ATTORNEYS ARE AWESOME!

Quote:
De Killer killed for Matt Engarde, the judge didn't blame De Killer

Bullshit. De Killer was obviously to blame here, he was fully aware of what he was doing. Why wasn't he arrested? You make it sound like they didn't TRY. De Killer would have been arrested on the spot, if the opportunity ever arose. And the Judge obviously has it in for De Killer, he's just too intimidated by him to say it.

Not that I agree that Vera's responsible for Hobonix, but this was a pretty bad example. And no, I also don't agree Kristoph is the only one responsible, Valant and to some extent Klavier also shoulder the blame.

But yes, Vera is full of personality. I don't see how you couldn't see it. Granted, I think it's mental disorders moreso than shyness [she put up a hell of a fight over the nail polish when they arrested her, or so they say] in fact, I honestly think Vera is the only interesting thing about 4-4, mainly for said disorders. And I really dig the whole idiot savant thing, but that's just me.

Gettin' Old!

BBdoubleB wrote:
Quote:
De Killer killed for Matt Engarde, the judge didn't blame De Killer

Bullshit. De Killer was obviously to blame here, he was fully aware of what he was doing. Why wasn't he arrested? You make it sound like they didn't TRY. De Killer would have been arrested on the spot, if the opportunity ever arose. And the Judge obviously has it in for De Killer, he's just too intimidated by him to say it.

Not that I agree that Vera's responsible for Hobonix, but this was a pretty bad example. And no, I also don't agree Kristoph is the only one responsible, Valant and to some extent Klavier also shoulder the blame.

But yes, Vera is full of personality. I don't see how you couldn't see it. Granted, I think it's mental disorders moreso than shyness [she put up a hell of a fight over the nail polish when they arrested her, or so they say] in fact, I honestly think Vera is the only interesting thing about 4-4, mainly for said disorders. And I really dig the whole idiot savant thing, but that's just me.

Language doubleB! Ok you don't like my example meh, was just saying that she's not the one to blame, legally they didn't blame DeKiller as they only arrested Matt Engarde when his entire defense was based around not being the killer. DeKiller was simply a tool, you can't blame tools.

Same with this, Kristoph's scheme was more complex and simply required more tools, while Vera is completely exempt from blame, she was too young to know she was doing wrong, the other tool Klavier we can't blame either he was just doing his job, though he did regard the information as suspicious.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

IT'S A STEPLADDER, DAMMIT.

theatrejunkie wrote:

Does anyone other than me think that Wocky and Vera would be a cute couple? Or have I just been sucked into some crazy crack pairing?

no, you're not the only one. no worries.
Vickinator wins the whole Internet.
devART ~ Fanart Thread

OBJECTION! BOTH ATTORNEYS ARE AWESOME!

Quote:
legally they didn't blame DeKiller as they only arrested Matt Engarde when his entire defense was based around not being the killer.

No, legally they didn't blame de Killer because he couldn't be apprehended.

De Killer was not a tool. He was not being manipulated. The only motivation he had for killing Juan was a ton of money. De Killer could have turned down Matt's request if he wished, but he didn't. He's responsible, and would have been tried and convicted, had he been arrested.

Remember 1-4? Manfred von Karma might have put the gun in Yanni Yogi's hand, but Yogi still pulled the trigger. Yogi was convicted as well.

Besides, you know as well as I do Vera's not responsible. Vera wasn't aware of what she was doing. Hell, not even Drew was aware. All I'm doing is saying that your examples are poor.

She sort of resembles the female bassist from Interstella 5555.

By the way, I'm rough-drafting a custom case featuring Vera as Apollo's new co-assistant alongside Trucy, with Trucy as the Red Oni and Vera as the Blue Oni. The case itself is about a serial-killer/vigilante called "The Count Of Monte Cristo".

Last edited by Smithee on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Also, I don't like defending criminals

Legally the crime of forgery is a specific intent crime that requires intent to deceive. She's about as guilty as Phoenix is. (Except that Phoenix is "guilty" of failing to use professional care and Zak could legitimately sue him for malpractice.)

Real Anime Law wrote:
Legally the crime of forgery is a specific intent crime that requires intent to deceive.

That may be and may have worked for Vera when she was still a kid.
But as she got older, no matter how sheltered she was, she should've obtained a sliver of common sense and realized what she did might be wrong or illegal. Or god forbid, her father actually has the balls to tell her what he made her do and humbly apologize for that.

C-A

Smithee wrote:
She sort of resembles the female bassist from Interstella 5555 (a series of anime-style music videos by Daft Punk).

Ace Sidekick!

I actually liked Vera but I can't remember why, I don't understand why people tend to compare her to Iris, or compare her relationship with Apollo to Feeniris. :think-think-think:
She was indeed adorable.
I also thought her father was adorable and resembled Winnie The Pooh, I thought her father would be sweet like Russel Berry, boy was I wrong. :meekins:

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Sidekick!

Pitipiui wrote:
Emiko Gale wrote:
I don't understand why people tend to compare her to Iris, or compare her relationship with Apollo to Feeniris. :think-think-think:

Because :phoenix: and :odoroki: are the hot blooded heroes, and :ayame: and :draw: are the shy girls. That's what I think, anyway... :knock-knock:

VEEEEEEERA.

I'm kind of like her. Shy, withdrawn, loves drawing...yeah.

But their relationships are completely different, especially since we get little to no proof that Apollo and Vera like each other, they barely spent time together.

Emiko Gale wrote:
Pitipiui wrote:
Emiko Gale wrote:
I don't understand why people tend to compare her to Iris, or compare her relationship with Apollo to Feeniris. :think-think-think:

Because :phoenix: and :odoroki: are the hot blooded heroes, and :ayame: and :draw: are the shy girls. That's what I think, anyway... :knock-knock:

VEEEEEEERA.

I'm kind of like her. Shy, withdrawn, loves drawing...yeah.

But their relationships are completely different, especially since we get little to no proof that Apollo and Vera like each other, they barely spent time together.

I think Pitipui is trying to tell you to literally take it word to word as in hero/shy girl(feel free to prove me wrong if you're not).

Maybe because the ship would also look cute like Feenris?

Aside that I thought Vera was an interesting character, I was happy to see her finally getting over her fears and get out at the end of the game.

A few of Apollo's lines to her in 4-4 clearly sound like some sort of Ship Tease:

"...I really think it has to be fate, you know!"

"And by fate, I mean destiny! Did you know I'm good with astrology?"

"Tell me, what's your sign?"

"(I feel like a teenager on a first date!)"

=======================================================

Nostalgia Critic (to CAPCOM): "YOU KNOW!!! You totally know what you’re talking about!"

<3

I'm rather surprised at all the hostility towards Vera and her father. I'll start off by seconding everything Incendiary touched upon in their post. Not all characters are going to be extra bubbly, and they shouldn't be. There should be some variety in the cast. I don't want a game full of Mayas. One is more than enough for me as it is.

Furthermore, it's not as if Vera is withdrawn and shy because she chose to be-she was almost kidnapped as a child! Can you even begin to imagine how much that could potentially impact your world-view, when you are very young and impressionable? I highly doubt people are giving this detail the gravity it deserves. It's no wonder she wanted to stay inside. It is not her fault that she was kidnapped and had the emotional response that she did, and victim-blaming is inexcusable and cruel to anyone, let alone a child.

CatMuto wrote:

Or god forbid, her father actually has the balls to tell her what he made her do and humbly apologize for that.

C-A

Regarding her father, I love how everyone glosses over the fact that Drew started the whole forgery thing because he and Vera were extremely impoverished. It wasn't a black and white issue of him exploiting his daughter's talent for 'personal gain', as some in this thread have mentioned: it was about getting food on the table and supporting their small family. Drew was a man of the past and perhaps didn't have many skills to call upon or the energy he used to have to pursue steadier work outside of art, and with a little girl scared to leave the house, this way he could mind her needs and wants better by providing her with an activity she loved.

These forgeries paid very well and I realize one could say the family doesn't need $100,000's, and that perhaps they could've backed out. But it really isn't all that simple. Criminal activity can be like quicksand, you can't always control whether you're 'in' or 'out'. Say he stopped after $100,000. What if harm could come to his family if the forgeries were in demand and no longer available? What if Vera were hurt? What do they do when the money runs out? The supplies for Vera's work don't come out of thin air, and neither does food, clothes, things they need. How could they safely get back into the world of forgeries and crime that provides them what they need?

Also, if you know at all what it's like to be poor you never want to go back. Why should they rest on their laurels when they can ensure a comfortable living? I believe Drew's intentions were noble. He just wanted a good life for his daughter. They could live well enough off the money they made and Vera was overjoyed to be able to have the opportunity to do what she loved, from the safety of her home, and please her father. They continued living in that small, humble house even after all the jobs they took. With all the money they had from the forgeries it wouldn't have been too difficult to move somewhere bigger and fancier, but that's not the kind of people they are. They were simply trying to get by, and I don't think that makes Drew a bad father by any stretch of the imagination.

CatMuto wrote:

That may be and may have worked for Vera when she was still a kid.
But as she got older, no matter how sheltered she was, she should've obtained a sliver of common sense and realized what she did might be wrong or illegal.

C-A

It doesn't work like that. No matter who you are, if you spend your life inside the same house all your life and especially are in such a home void of most modern technology that isn't related to art forgery, there's no way for someone to magically acquire knowledge of the outside world, and it's unfair and unrealistic to expect that of anyone. This is in absolutely no way Vera's fault, because she had literally no way of knowing what she was doing was wrong, and to reiterate, she's not a bad person for being scared to leave home. I think there's a lot of unrealistic expectations going on in this thread.

That aside...

I really loved Vera's character because she offered a unique perspective and the best part is that she's gained some courage at the end of the ordeal and has decided to face the outside world and experience it for herself, and that she isn't going to be held captive by herself anymore. If that's not character development tell me what is. I thought it was a very happy moment.

On the subject of being held captive, I also was wondering if there were more to the kidnapping thing, but I don't mind that they left it as is. I too wondered if Kristoph would end up being behind that, having known somehow about her ability and meaning to harm her psyche so he could give her that 'good luck charm' as his insurance. But again, I'm not unhappy with them leaving it ambiguous. <3
Page 2 of 2 [ 76 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)