Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)

Page 1 of 2[ 62 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Thoughts on Thalassa*SPOILERS*Topic%20Title

Powers Fan

Today, I got to thinking about Thalassa and the mysteries surrounding her. Generally, when we wonder about her, we wonder why she left Apollo or what really happened with her previous husband. But I think we don't put enough focus on her "accident", which I've suddenly come to realize is not as straightforward as it might seem at first.

We know that while performing a magic trick in which both Zak and Valant were supposed to fire pistols at her, with all their bullets missing her, she received a head injury and was believed to be dead. Now I highly doubt either of them purposely shot her, but I can't help now thinking maybe it wasn't a tragic accident.

The incident was kept secret, and both Zak and Valant were led to believe Thalassa had died. We know that she survived, but was blinded and lost her memory, winding up in Nothern Europe all alone. Magnifi keeping the incident quiet is not suspicious, since it would be quite the scandal, but what about everything else that happened?

Why was her survival kept secret, even from her husband and child? Did Magnifi want or need to have control over his subordinates? Or was he himself unaware of it? Had her "death" been faked by someone who perhaps sought to protect her? I think that last one is more likely. The tragic outcome of the magic trick could be the result of either someone tampering with the props or perhaps firing at her while it was going on, thus making it look like she had been shot by either Zak or Valant. Perhaps Magnifi himself was somehow behind this. One would have to question whether or not he truly cared for his daughter were that not the case. Everyone was led to believe she was dead, she was left blind despite an operation being available that could save her life, and she was abandoned alone in a small, poor country where she could not even speak the language and would have no way of surviving under normal circumstances. Why would Magnifi go to such cruel lengths to make her seem dead? It seems more like it had to be someone else, who was trying to hide her away to keep her safe. Though, if someone else was making attempts on her life-perhaps Apollo's father is a bad man who came after her?,-it's not unthinkable that Magnifi would do that to keep her safe.

Either way, I'm betting that the accident wasn't really an accident at all, though I stick by what I said about both Zak and Valant being innocent. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
:agent-Smith: "You just wish you could talk in Webdings."

Come play Ghost Trick Mafia!
Re: Thoughts on Thalassa*SPOILERS*Topic%20Title

Surf's Up!

TheSteelSamurai wrote:
Though, if someone else was making attempts on her life-perhaps Apollo's father is a bad man who came after her?,-it's not unthinkable that Magnifi would do that to keep her safe.

I thought the game stated that he died on stage after Apollo was born. So how could he come after Thalassa if he's dead?

And I'm also perplexed as to how a head injury could make her lose her sight. :meekins:

1000% Knight

NinjaMonkey wrote:
And I'm also perplexed as to how a head injury could make her lose her sight. :meekins:

I believe the part of the brain that deals with your sight is in the back of the brain, so it would have been pretty easy to shoot that part in this trick.... (not sure about memory tho)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Surf's Up!

Bad Player wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

I believe the part of the brain that deals with your sight is in the back of the brain, so it would have been pretty easy to shoot that part in this trick.... (not sure about memory tho)

But that would mean that she would have had to undergone major brain surgery to restore her sight. (which I suppose is possible, giving that we don't know much about what the healthcare is like in the AA universe - except the Hickfield clinic *shudders*).

Powers Fan

We're never told the exact nature of her wound. Though she no doubt did get shot in the head, it is possible something happened to her eyes during that, not neccesarily related to her brain. Considering a simple eye operation is mentioned, I think that is the simplest explanation.

And sure Apollo's dad died. Just like Thalassa did. And Shadi when he disappeared seven years prior to the game. Misty Fey was also generally considered dead. Diego too. The dead turning out to actually be alive is a really popular thing in these games.XD

And even if he were actually dead, I believe "Trials and Tribulations" has taught us that even death can be overcome if you're vengeful enough.>_>

Attorney

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

But that would mean that she would have had to undergone major brain surgery to restore her sight. (which I suppose is possible, giving that we don't know much about what the healthcare is like in the AA universe - except the Hickfield clinic *shudders*).

For the love of god, don't even mention that place. The doctor "Hotti" (the owner) of the clinic there isn't even a licenced doctor, and that he is an effing pervert.

TheSteelSamurai wrote:
We're never told the exact nature of her wound. Though she no doubt did get shot in the head, it is possible something happened to her eyes during that, not neccesarily related to her brain. Considering a simple eye operation is mentioned, I think that is the simplest explanation.

And sure Apollo's dad died. Just like Thalassa did. And Shadi when he disappeared seven years prior to the game. Misty Fey was also generally considered dead. Diego too. The dead turning out to actually be alive is a really popular thing in these games.XD

And even if he were actually dead, I believe "Trials and Tribulations" has taught us that even death can be overcome if you're vengeful enough.>_>

Spoiler 3-5

Spoiler:
Yeah, let's not even get started on Dahlia.

Avy-Court Records.

Powers Fan

Although, it's a perfect excuse/way to work Maya or Pearls back into the series.XD But let's get back to Thalassa.

Sword that Smites Evil

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

Well, she may have lost her sight because of an internal hemorragy that damaged her eyes, or her optic nerves (because of an insufficient blood supply, for example), which could be repaired by standart surgery.

In fact, it's not the first time that we see some strange after-effects of "death". Godot managed to lose sight (and particularly the red color) as well as all the melanin in his hair, just because of a poisonned coffee cup. :nick:
(By the way, his beard is not bleached at all ... what a selective poison ! :p)
Come to me, Dark Warriors ! Battle awaits us !

~*Deux Ames Un Coeur*~

The eyesight can easily be explained. My confusion is the memory aspect.

Basically, Thalassa gets her memory back once her sight is restored. Why, though? Judging by the extent of her memory loss, she has flat retrograde amnesia: nothing can be recovered before the accident. If she had temporally graded retrograde amnesia, she could still remember events of her past furthest away from the accident--so she still would have memories of Trucy, Apollo, Magnifi, Zak, Valant, etc, etc.

I'm going to guess that some serious repression was going on. She didn't want to know who she was, because she thought she might have been a bad person. Couple that with the blindness, and there ya go. Her being convinced to remember and face her past may have led to the memory recovery, as well.

I'm Aslan!?

Knowing the game, it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to say that after she went blind, she was brainwashed. :yuusaku:

Powers Fan

She didn't completely lose her memory. At the very least, she could still remember the English language.

And it was not just regaining her eyesight that restored her memory. I believe it was actually the trial. That was why Phoenix chose her. The Mason system not only explained the background of the case, but also what happened with Troup Gramarye and Thalassa. She no doubt noticed the resemblance between the woman and herself, then the bracelet, and after that, all the facts just added up-the head injury, the time of the accident, and so on.

Yeah, but its not like she was viewing it. She was blind after all.

And I think Apollo's father might not have been dead and was part of what happened to Thalassa.

Though that makes Thalassa a huge jerk for abandoning Apollo when she went back to Zak

The Mouth of Sauron

I think this shows how much of a dick Magnifi was.

To have complete control over his pupils, he hid even the important knowledge of his daughter's survival (which would have ended the whole blackmailing affair). He wanted Zak and Valant to do whatever he wanted, up until the very end.

He wanted to make sure that his disciples were firmly HIS disciples; that's how I saw it.

He made sure that Thalassa was kept quiet to further his own bullshit.
Gozu wrote:
omg ur just lik :edgeworth:

did ur parents di or somefin

icer wrote:
Trucy: [Daddy was fired from legal clerk for loitering] Daddy has a fun new job as a street sweeper!
Phoenix: Guess what Apollo, today I swept up some EVIDENCE! ....

Powers Fan

Lamiroir was not blind when she was on the jury-that would have been impossible.

And we don't know that Magnifi even knew she was alive, and if he did, it's possible she was taken away before he could announce that or something along those lines. We really don't know what happened. The same goes for Lamiroir not being with Apollo. I don't think it's as simple as just abandoning him.

~*Deux Ames Un Coeur*~

TheSteelSamurai wrote:
Lamiroir was not blind when she was on the jury-that would have been impossible.

And we don't know that Magnifi even knew she was alive, and if he did, it's possible she was taken away before he could announce that or something along those lines. We really don't know what happened. The same goes for Lamiroir not being with Apollo. I don't think it's as simple as just abandoning him.

A) The chance is higher that she wasn't blind at that moment, yes. Because, if you remember correctly, she also had qualms about being on the jury because she thought she was "connected" to the case. Take that any way you please. Also, it was at the end of the third case that she said she was going to get surgery, right? And there's a three month separation between the third and fourth cases. Seeing that her sight was probably restored before this, her memory probably was, as well.

B) I don't want to believe Magnifi knew she was alive. He wasn't exactly the nicest guy, but I think he hung her death over the rest of the Troupe simply because she was his only child and he loved her. But I think conditions within the Troupe were bad enough that Lamiroir/Thalassa must have had a good enough reason to leave him behind--and, remember, we don't know under what conditions Apollo had to live. It could have been with family of his father's, it could have been in an orphanage. Maybe the conditions were better by the time Trucy was born.

Powers Fan

I feel certain Lamiroir did not regain her memories just from losing her sight. She asks about being connected AFTER the simulation with the MASON system, which is what I believe truly caused her to regain her memories. And her words to Phoenix afterwards would seem to support this as well, since she asks if that is why he picked her, because he had figured it all out.

Maya I take your order?

Lamiror can see because she read the Jurist book thingy-ma-bob. So she must have regained her eyesight before that case. Or it was in brail... (can't spell)

Secondly, I believe that both regaining her sight and the MASON system (assuming the Jurists saw it) would've been enough to trigger her memories.
And there was DEFINITELY some memory repression in there.

Aren't theories fun? :keiko:
My sig is better than yours.

Apollon Flame

Theory:

I think that Apollo's father was a bad man that treated her like garbage. When they were practicing the "Zak and Valant Shootem Rally" she decided to practice it with her husband. She shoot him on purpose and the police decided to investigate the sudden dissaperance of Mr.Justice.

Magnifi left with a plan to protect her from the claws of laws, he decided to scheme her "sudden death" between practice, transport her body to a professional and loyal doctor and push Valant and Zak into thinking she was death so that suspision on the murder of Mr.Justice would go away.

After all of this happened, Kristoph Gavin deviced a plan to scheme against Phoenix Wright and Zak Gramarye.
A King

in name

alone...

Powers Fan

Lamiroir just doesn't strike me as the type of person to just shoot someone, and then abandon her child, though.

Surf's Up!

TheSteelSamurai wrote:
Lamiroir just doesn't strike me as the type of person to just shoot someone, and then abandon her child, though.

Iris didn't strike me as being a conniving little bitch, but we all know how that turned out... :nick:

世界中

MisoSoup wrote:
Lamiror can see because she read the Jurist book thingy-ma-bob. So she must have regained her eyesight before that case. Or it was in brail... (can't spell)

Yes, it's indicated in the game she can see. She had an operation, like she said she was considering in end of 4-3.
Plus Brail has an e. (Braille, I think it's spelled. :D)

Powers Fan

I'm not sure what you mean about Iris.O_o

Impossible Toupee

Bad Player wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

...Wait. If that's true, then from there all we would have to do is learn which Gramarye stood behind her to know who fired the fatal shot!

Now, here's my theory on the whole deal. I think that in the real trick, the two guns would have to fire blanks and Thalassa herself somehow fires the rest of the shots. The Gramarye's aren't ACTUALLY magical, after all- they're using tricks. So wouldn't it mean that somebody loaded a real bullet into one of the guns?

TIN PIN SLAMMER TIME!

I was learning about the brain today. The teacher said that in an accident, some people have lost their sight because of brain dammage to the back of the head. So i asked him, if some one was shot in the back of the head by a weak gun would it be possible to have them loose their sight and memory. he said yes
Image Image Image Image
Please don't let my dragons die.

In Justice We Trust

This presents an interesting possibility, if we are to assume she was hit in the back of the head. Zak and Valant stood on opposite sides of Thalassa. From that angle, would a bullet be able to strike the back of her head and penetrate the skull, or would it just cause a minor injury and bounce off? Considering that the bullet injured her, we have a problem on our hands.

This leads to a number of possibilities.

• The bullet was able to penetrate her skull and cause the necessary injury despite the angle.
  • Thalassa turned her head when the shots were fired, resulting in the bullet hitting her at a more direct angle.
  • A third person fired from behind Thalassa.

This whole discussion is rather convenient for me, since I considered addressing it in my fan fiction.
I'll always love you, Max.

TIN PIN SLAMMER TIME!

Was it ever stated that they were on her left and right sides? They might have been in front and behind her. Also, they said that the trick had a new twist, which might have caused the accident.
Image Image Image Image

In Justice We Trust

If you look at the screenshot, it's rather clear that they were to her sides.

TIN PIN SLAMMER TIME!

I guess. Something like this then

..................................Killer

Zac/Valant.................Thalassa...................Valant/Zac
Image Image Image Image

In Justice We Trust

Actually, the killer's location need not be behind the stage. Assuming a third person shot Thalassa, it would make more sense to fire from Zak's or Valant's side of the stage. The location and angle of the entry wound would tell the whole story if the killer fired from behind the stage and Thalassa was facing toward the audience seats. It would be far easier to avoid implication in the crime by firing from near Zak or Valant rather than at a different angle.

Very interesting thoughts. If a fanfiction is written about this, I'd totally love to read it. I did think Thalassa's situation seemed.. oversimplified but I haven't heard anyone discuss to such lengths until now. Nice topic. :edgy:

Surf's Up!

General Luigi wrote:
A third person fired from behind Thalassa.

Presumably, from behind a grassy knoll...

Experimental Hydroxyacelunodosetrase

Thalassa... what if she was never shot? like... what if that was magnifi's illusion, and he just knocked her out and hit her head too hard, then left her in borginia as punishment for leaving apollo, who maybe was supposed to be the heir to the tricks.

Carly. 19. Ravenclaw. Hell's Belle.

TLDR Master

NinjaMonkey wrote:
General Luigi wrote:
A third person fired from behind Thalassa.

Presumably, from behind a grassy knoll...

“… This is the key shot. The Magician going back and to her left, shot from the front and right. Totally inconsistent with the shot from the Stage. Again. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left …” (sorry, JFK reference, just had to)
:yogi:
Anyhow, the exact circumstances of the incident were left deliberately ambiguous by the writers to serve as a plot point for future games. That doesn’t stop us fans from speculating though. Here’s what we do know: From Valant and Zak’s perspective they were under the belief that either one of them could have fired the “fatal” shot, and that Magnifi covered up the “murder” to save the Gramarye reputation and thus used this information to coerce the two. Zak mentioned that Magnifi’s final request was not the only offer that he could not refuse.

The point of contention for most of us seems to be the extent of Magnifi’s involvement. Did he know that Thalassa survived (albeit disabled), knowingly covered up that fact, had her transplanted to Borginia and kept this information from Thalassa herself, her husband and children? Why? Was he just a cruel and manipulative bastard and saw this as an opportunity to grab power? Or maybe he was a little messed up in the head, he did after all order his students to end his life, and when they failed to do so, shot himself. There’s also the possibility that Magnifi went through all this trouble to “protect” his daughter, but that brings up the question, from whom? We don’t really know the true nature of the relationships within Troupe Gramarye. Maybe they were just that dysfunctional.

An alternative theory suggests that there may have been a third party involved. But again, we must ask who were the conspirators (possibilities range from Mr. Justice or his associates, the Yakuza and other crack theories, its called a conspiracy for a reason) and how involved Magnifi was in this supposed conspiracy. Was he also a victim and kept in the dark about the ultimate fate of his daughter or was he another player. Either way he used his knowledge to coerce and bully Valant and Zak. In the end, it all boils down to just how cold/evil/cruel/calculating/insane Magnifi really was. Excluding the “protection” theory or some other weird tragic happenstance the fact that he used his daughter’s situation as a means to a sinister end indicates that Magnifi was not a very nice man.

Also, how and why Thalassa ended up in Borginia is a major part of the mystery. As NinjAngel mentioned the actual cause of her memory/eyesight loss could be best attributed to a combination of physical and psychological damage (Repression, Psychosomatic disorder etc).

My opinion is similar to that of the OP’s, I believe that Zak and Valant were truly innocent but the incident was not a mere accident. Magnifi was definitely involved in some way.

TIN PIN SLAMMER TIME!

OK, so we've established several things.
1. Magnifi was either a jerk, or crazy.
2. There is a possibility that Thalassa was shot by someone other than Zac or Valant.
3. There is also an equal possibility that one of them killed her by accident.
I'd like to add my own possibility.

I think that it is entirely possible that Zac and Magnifi plotted to kill her delliberatly. It has been stated that her death was in the middle of the passing of power and fame from master to apprentices.

Perhaps Magnifi wanted something to blackmail his students with, but for whatever reason, he hired Zac to kill her. He might have told him he would inherit the Gramarye tricks. Zac thinks that he can blackmail Magnifi, but Magnifi has reasoned that if Zac reveals his secrets, he will have to confess to murder.

Anyways, Zac shoots her during rehearsal, but she isn't dead. They can't kill her with Valant watching, so Magnifi fakes her death and ships her to Borgania.

Obviously, Zac only married her to make himself Magnifi's favorite. Poor Valant.

Speaking of which, in my theory, you could't sub Zac with Valant. He already said that he had no idea about what happened wen she died.
Image Image Image Image

In Justice We Trust

Zak said he didn't shoot Thalassa, and no Psyche-locks appeared. Thus, he couldn't have knowingly and willingly shot her.

Surf's Up!

book__wyrm wrote:
. I think that it is entirely possible that Zac and Magnifi plotted to kill her delliberatly. It has been stated that her death was in the middle of the passing of power and fame from master to apprentices.

First of all, it's Zak with a "k", not "Zac" with a "c". Secondly, I have a hard time believing that Magnifi would want to kill his only daughter, and an even harder time that Zak would want Thalassa dead, given that he has Trucy to look after.

maybe our little thalassa was cheating on Zak with Valant. She is pretty slutty if you ask me.

TLDR Master

NinjaMonkey wrote:
First of all, it's Zak with a "k", not "Zac" with a "c". Secondly, I have a hard time believing that Magnifi would want to kill his only daughter

Again, barring any “protection” or other tragic scenario, what Magnifi did do pretty much makes him a huge scumbag. Was there intent to kill? Filicide does happen in the real world, it’s a possibility that hasn’t been ruled out so far. We just don’t know enough at this point. My bet is that the Gramarye arc will be a major point in GS5.
Quote:
and an even harder time that Zak would want Thalassa dead, given that he has Trucy to look after.

Zak didn’t really do a good job of “looking after” Trucy … I donno, something about dumping your daughter off with an anonymous defense attorney you just met the night before over a game of poker to save your own hide doesn’t seem like good parenting. Who knows what other crap he may have pulled before then.

The more I think about it, the more messed up the Gramarye family seems

I've known that the gramaryes were messed up. I mean really. Valant's barely in the troupe, Zak's in because he's married to Thalassa, and that marriage could be based on Zak trying to be the favorite, and, apollo was abandoned, two people 'died' on stage, and magnifi was a jerk.

then trucy, she was like someone else said, dropped with some random lawyer. What if that's what happened to apollo? maybe that's why he's a lawyer?

TIN PIN SLAMMER TIME!

I thought we established Magnifi was a jerk?
General Luigi wrote:
Zak said he didn't shoot Thalassa, and no Psyche-locks appeared. Thus, he couldn't have knowingly and willingly shot her.

Where was that? I don't remember it.
Image Image Image Image
Page 1 of 2 [ 62 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)