Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 8 of 13[ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Re: Crit thread- Need any help improving your art?Topic%20Title

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

Spoiler: If you want more...
Also think of areas where light cannot get too - These areas will be of course shaded because there is nothing getting to them. It's easy to spot in Arky's crit that the inside of the legs, the inner area of her jacket sleeves are all shaded - this is because the other side of the leg is blocking the light. Also, where her hand is placed on her hip, there is shading because the light cannot reach past her hand of course, and it casts a shadow a bit further than where the hand is placed.

Generally I would say the inside of things is generally where the shading is ; Even some of the PW sprites show this.

Also your sahding is in those places, neko, but the lines are too jagged-Arky has just shown by her simple edit that smooth lines work just as well and leave a nice effect~

I cannot give picture-based criticism, however I hope I have helped...

The Hoosiers :) Just too cool.

hey im kinda not that good at shading ether (also i would like to know what you think ect and anything that looks wrong) thx
Spoiler:

my sprites Image(click the pic for pandas graphics~)

Golden Luxray wrote:
hey im kinda not that good at shading ether (also i would like to know what you think ect and anything that looks wrong) thx
Spoiler:

Hmmm...A lot of things are 'off' about this picture...

~Her Hair looks out of place, her bangs seem to be facing the veiwer directly, however her little thing at the top of her head is facing sideways. As well as this, her hair seems to be far too big for the head and seems to rest in a weird postion on her head, it doesn't have the natural flow.

However the shading is excellent so keep up the good work on that!

Aspiring to Inspire

I... I can't see the shading here. I see subtle hints in the hair and cheeks, but it's too soft to count. As mentioned earlier, you need to know the direction of your light source and remember that shadows go away from the light. That's the basic rule as far as I'm concerned.
.: Click on the pictures for links! :.

ImageImageImageImage

heya i tried to improve what i did and here it is
Spoiler:

and if you cant see any diffrance
Spoiler:

any tips/ comments helpful thx

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

The main thing I can see wrong here is that you've elongated Pearly's skull so it's more of an egg shape. Her head needs to end earlier than you've drawn it~

Spoiler: Like so...
Basically, the pink line shows where her skull is under the hair for a side-on pose. It might be that she just has a big hairstyle but the way you've drawn the head makes it look like she has a tall, pointy skull, rather than a more rounded one.

Hope that was helpful :3
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

PandaPrinzessin wrote:
The main thing I can see wrong here is that you've elongated Pearly's skull so it's more of an egg shape. Her head needs to end earlier than you've drawn it~

Spoiler: Like so...
Basically, the pink line shows where her skull is under the hair for a side-on pose. It might be that she just has a big hairstyle but the way you've drawn the head makes it look like she has a tall, pointy skull, rather than a more rounded one.

Hope that was helpful :3

thx that was helpful and i tried to makie it smaller but it looks kinda wierd to me...i just cant put my finger on though...here have a looky ^_^
any tips would be nice ;P
Spoiler:

Aspiring to Inspire

Actually, the most recent one is better. Keep going. :) I'd do a red line crit, 'cept my tablet's out at the moment. The skull seems to be the right height, though the shape is still an issue. Though adults have it egg-shaped, for a little girl like Pearl, her skull should be round and more of a circle.

Spoiler: Take this official art for example:

Also, the shading is now more well defined, and I congratulate you for that. :) It's now just a matter of getting the shape of it right. What do I mean? Hair shading and highlights should follow the direction of the hair, as well. This shows that the light catches on groups of hair strands. The picture above serves as a good example.

Spoiler: I also have a few old drawings that may help illustrate:
Image Image

The first pic is on shades, the second on highlights. Not the best examples, but you can see where the direction of the hair is going. Hope these give you an idea.

ImageImageImageImage

Karmi-Sempai wrote:
Actually, the most recent one is better. Keep going. :) I'd do a red line crit, 'cept my tablet's out at the moment. The skull seems to be the right height, though the shape is still an issue. Though adults have it egg-shaped, for a little girl like Pearl, her skull should be round and more of a circle.

Spoiler: Take this official art for example:

Also, the shading is now more well defined, and I congratulate you for that. :) It's now just a matter of getting the shape of it right. What do I mean? Hair shading and highlights should follow the direction of the hair, as well. This shows that the light catches on groups of hair strands. The picture above serves as a good example.

Spoiler: I also have a few old drawings that may help illustrate:
Image Image

The first pic is on shades, the second on highlights. Not the best examples, but you can see where the direction of the hair is going. Hope these give you an idea.

thx that should help and ill get back to you when ive done it,
(ive also done a diffrnt drawing not of anyone in the games but i would still like to show it to you and see what you think
Spoiler:
i have noticed a few things that are wrong, the legs a feet and the gloves have no shading and well i think it looks a bit off some how but i dont know where it is, so anything you like or dislike ect then please say thx!
oh and also if you would im terrible at drawing lips '~' so if you have any tips that would be helpful thx!:P

The Main problem I see with the picture there - The first thing I saw -are her legs. Now I know IRL I always moan about your legs but Lemme point a few things out.

~Her shin seems to decline into ankles FAR too steeply...Her shins should also be longer.

~The Feet seem a bit small, remember that generally the feet are about the same length of elbow to wrist, although in the stylised fashion it can be smaller ; Still I would recommend you made them a bit larger

~Her legs seem to be angled to the left, but her body faces us directly forward. This would be incredibly uncomfortable to do in real life.

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

I'd say that once again, her head seems to be far too large and Romeo's completely right, she barely seems to have ankles~

You probably aren't drawing from a reference, which is the best way to start out with an an unfamiliar pose and I find it really helps get a feel for what proportions you need.

Try Posemaniacs or even model the pose yourself in a mirror to see how it should look- I do this all the time when I'm trying out new poses :3
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

I've been studying faces lately, here's how I do it, please comment if anything is wrong :)
Spoiler:
Let me explain... The black line shows the skull, and the yellow lines shows how I formed the shape. The blue lines devied the skull so you can see where the eyes, the nose and the mouth should be.
This is what I made of it...

And about this...

Golden Luxray wrote:
(ive also done a diffrnt drawing not of anyone in the games but i would still like to show it to you and see what you think
Spoiler:
i have noticed a few things that are wrong, the legs a feet and the gloves have no shading and well i think it looks a bit off some how but i dont know where it is, so anything you like or dislike ect then please say thx!
oh and also if you would im terrible at drawing lips '~' so if you have any tips that would be helpful thx!:P

Romeo and PandaPrinzessin are right, posing in the mirror can indeed help! Also, if this is of any help to you....
Spoiler:
Fond it on the internet, drawing the basics can be really helpfull! For me it works: when you start of with a sketch, you'll see how the human body works... and it will be more easy to draw different poses(at least it works for me...)

I'm sorry if that wasn't that helpful...

EDIT: for drawing manga this website might be helpful... I hope you like it!

Waiting on Godot...

Golden Luxray wrote:
Spoiler:

I have a few things to add too ((Aparently a heap of posts were added while I wasn't looking too- Hope I don't double up on them ^^;
Spoiler: Pearls red line crit

Alot of people have mentioned about face /head structure which is correct. Pearls is what... 8? So she has a very round head, and a small face. The problem I wanted to illustrate however is the neck. At the based of the skull, the neck connects to the skull in a very important location- at the Central foramen magnum- a complex name for the hole at the bottom of our skull that lets at the nerves from the brain get to the body via the spine.

This hole is important to artists cause it's the body's centre of gravity. You measure gravity by ruling a line from this point and in the direction of te gravity. If the body is balanced, half of the weight of the body should be on 1 side of the line, and the rest on the other side.

In his case, it shows the back of the neck.Because she's not looking straight at the viewer, the neck also needs to be on an angle to move with this hole. The result is basically how my redline crit shows it.

Uh- I'll see if I can do some red line on the other one too...
ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Golden Luxray wrote:
Spoiler:

Luxray- please don't be offended when I say this, but I think you need to hit some tutorials on how to draw the basic figure. I don't mind doing red line critiques, but there's really no substitute for you going out and practising art, and practising correctly. It doesn't matter if it's Manga, realistic or whatever. Every art style needs you to know the same basics of proportion and body layout, and that may mean that you need to study from a realistic styled art book to get it. Untill you do that, everyone is just going to keep coming back to you with the same critique. It's not fair on you as an artist to do this, because you're not learning, and it's not fair on us cause we'd like to see you develop as an artist. Now, if you wish to improve, I can suggest books, but they'll all be based off Western / realistic proportions. Why? Because I haven't found an eastern how to book that is useful for teaching you this yet. I go to conventions, and I talk to alot of people that spend good money for manga art, and their biggest complaint is that alot of manga artists refuse to learn proper proportions cause they're drawing in manga, and making the proportions wrong is a 'style' of their. I'm not saying you must appeal to them, or anyone, but if you learn the basics,you'll know how to draw people and make them correct and know how you can distort them and still keep an aesthetic form.

Drawing from pictures is ok, but till you know basic proportion, you'll get it wrong. I suggest you start there. Sorry if that sounds harsh :(
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
Golden Luxray wrote:
Spoiler:

Luxray- please don't be offended when I say this, but I think you need to hit some tutorials on how to draw the basic figure. I don't mind doing red line critiques, but there's really no substitute for you going out and practising art, and practising correctly. It doesn't matter if it's Manga, realistic or whatever. Every art style needs you to know the same basics of proportion and body layout, and that may mean that you need to study from a realistic styled art book to get it. Untill you do that, everyone is just going to keep coming back to you with the same critique. It's not fair on you as an artist to do this, because you're not learning, and it's not fair on us cause we'd like to see you develop as an artist. Now, if you wish to improve, I can suggest books, but they'll all be based off Western / realistic proportions. Why? Because I haven't found an eastern how to book that is useful for teaching you this yet. I go to conventions, and I talk to alot of people that spend good money for manga art, and their biggest complaint is that alot of manga artists refuse to learn proper proportions cause they're drawing in manga, and making the proportions wrong is a 'style' of their. I'm not saying you must appeal to them, or anyone, but if you learn the basics,you'll know how to draw people and make them correct and know how you can distort them and still keep an aesthetic form.

Drawing from pictures is ok, but till you know basic proportion, you'll get it wrong. I suggest you start there. Sorry if that sounds harsh :(

nah im not offended dont worry about that, but i have never really been taught by anyone or read a book on manga. romeo helps me along seeing as he started before me and was the one that showed me manga, but now i will try even harder ;) (and hopefully get better '~';)

Waiting on Godot...

Awesome :) I dont' know any good online tutorials for it, but try your library. I wouldn't suggest most of the how to draw manga books for a beginner. You need to know the basics to learn from most of them. I *actually* suggest learning the basics from a realistic book style. You may not like how it looks, but it's easily adaptable if all you're taking is the building blocks of art. Learning to draw things as a 3D object will be your first hurdle. Drawing from the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards would be a great start for getting past form, but that focuses primarily on realism techniques.
ImageImageImageImage

smile

Wow! I love everyone's artwork! (Randomness)
I might have to get my artwork critiqued someday! I'm inspired and feel like I'm improving just looking at the redline critiques!
ImageImage
the sig was made by PandaPrinzessin
Bellossom avatar made by me
Husband: Marche Tobaye

lame alert

Umm....
http://ilygodot.deviantart.com/art/Mia- ... -174890293
this seriously doesn't look right. :(
D'you think you could mebbey help? :)
Image My fanfic fanart
Click the sig for my graphics :) requests taken.
Deviantart
sig nd avvi thanx 2 my boredom:)

Waiting on Godot...

Did you go off a referance for this, Ily?
ImageImageImageImage

lame alert

Nope! :)

Is that a problem?
Image My fanfic fanart
Deviantart

Waiting on Godot...

Nope ^^ It was more how I attacked my critique than anything.

The biggest thing I see wrong comes from Diego's nose. It flattens the face out cause it follows down the face rather than away from it, and the nostrils are on a very 3/4 view- almost as if he were mostly facing the viewer. What you have here is almost a profile shot, so it's nearly side on. The eyes are also too perfectly shaped. What I suggest is hopping onto Posemaniacs and finding the right angle there and seeing what I mean. They're all generic faces, but if you're unfamiliar with angle, it's great.

Remember- drawing without reference is actually REALLY difficult so don't put priority in being able to do it. Learning to draw correctly is FAR more important than drawing from memory. If you draw from reference, your off memory art will DRAMATICALLY improve. I guaranty.
ImageImageImageImage

lame alert

Cheers! :) Thats realli helpful, thanx! :) :godot:
Image My fanfic fanart
Deviantart

ok what ive done is started from the basics (just plain bobys) then if there is anything wrong with them i will change them re-post and ill work from there, if thats ok. any tips will be nice (hope i improved) but imo the feet aren't right. but thx for your time!
Spoiler:

Waiting on Godot...

Spoiler: crit

Red line crit. Sorry- too late to be up. Keep an eye out for your gravity and the hips. I'm not the best to crit on chicks though- I'm still learning to draw them myself. I draw too many men T.T
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
Spoiler: crit

Red line crit. Sorry- too late to be up. Keep an eye out for your gravity and the hips. I'm not the best to crit on chicks though- I'm still learning to draw them myself. I draw too many men T.T

thx that should help ill get on it straight away.
(as you can see i draw to many women, i find them easier i should start drawing men :P)

(sorry for double posting) ok i tried again and made it look more like yours but i just cant do feet :sadshoe: for some reason they are just hard for me to draw...anyways heres the new one.
Spoiler:

smile

Golden Luxray wrote:
(sorry for double posting) ok i tried again and made it look more like yours but i just cant do feet :sadshoe: for some reason they are just hard for me to draw...anyways heres the new one.
Spoiler:

I have to just say it's a bit skinny. But I agree, feet are hard. And the knees look a bit big compared to the rest of the body.

c:

Golden Luxray, one thing that stands out to me are her arms. They're too short. If I remember correctly, the fingertips should reach about halfway down the thighs or maybe a little more. Either way, the ones on yours are definitely too short. And indeed, I think her waist is too slim too.

Anyways, I'd like criticism on a work of mine since I have quite some trouble with anatomy, too:
Spoiler: Trucy <3

I'm not sure what it is, but something just seems off about it. Does anything in particular stand out to anyone? And yeah I know it's completely different from my last post. What can I say, I jumped around a lot. Still kinda am >_>

Rising Dragon

Franziska's Whip wrote:
Anyways, I'd like criticism on a work of mine since I have quite some trouble with anatomy, too:
Spoiler: Trucy <3

The picture is really good. The only thing that seems off is the size of her body. It seems too small in relation to her head, because
in your picture she is just 3 heads tall.(From the shoulder to her feets)
In this picture you can see that her body is about 6 heads tall. From the shoulders to her waist she is 2 heads long, from her waist to her feets
she is 4 heads long.
Hope that was somehow helpful to you. :edgy:
The story can be found in my fanart thread
Fanart

Aspiring to Inspire

@ Golden Luxray: You may want to use this as reference.

Spoiler:

As you can see, this is more of an American comic book guide for an adult female. The ideal height for the human female is 7-8 heads tall.

I suggest adjusting the size of the head, though not as dramatically if you're going for stylized work. I also suggest shaping the hips, thighs, and feet. Bust and shoulder widths aren't too much of a problem, as some women really do have such measurements.

@ Franziska's Whip: The things that stand out to me are the height of the head, the width of the shoulders, and the length of the arms. Ideally, the elbows are around the waist area, the wrists below the groin, and the hands (when relaxed) end at mid-thigh. You may want to use the figure above as reference, too.

ImageImageImageImage

Karmi-Sempai wrote:
@ Golden Luxray: You may want to use this as reference.

Spoiler:

As you can see, this is more of an American comic book guide for an adult female. The ideal height for the human female is 7-8 heads tall.

I suggest adjusting the size of the head, though not as dramatically if you're going for stylized work. I also suggest shaping the hips, thighs, and feet. Bust and shoulder widths aren't too much of a problem, as some women really do have such measurements.

ok ill get to work on thx for the help ^^.

c:

Thanks a bunch for the advice, you two. I'll try to adjust it a bit. :]

heya its me again i just drew ema and i'd like to know what you think of it ect...anyway here it is (i will be colouring it on the pc and by hand to see wich is better)sorry its not every good. :payne:
Spoiler:
Imagei havent got a very steady hand have i :P

Waiting on Godot...

Your proportions are getting better. Try drawing your lines all in one go though rather than jagging them. It's difficult at first, but it gets easier. A bendable ruler can help I've found.
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
Your proportions are getting better. Try drawing your lines all in one go though rather than jagging them. It's difficult at first, but it gets easier. A bendable ruler can help I've found.

ill be working on that but before i read it i coloured it in ( my good friend coffee proscuter help me so i ive credit to him :D thx cp) sorry its a bit large
Spoiler:

Waiting on Godot...

For the next picture then?
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
For the next picture then?

of course ;)

hi ive done pearl (hopefully with my lines all in 1 :3) i mainly did it to get better at shading and comments nice :D thx
Spoiler:

Waiting on Godot...

Please don't be offended by this, but did you follow a tutorial? OR are you doing this by trial and error? Trial and error can give some interesting results, but if you REALLY want to learn shading, you really have to understand how to make an object 3D first, cause shading isn't just a matter of slapping in a shadow and a highlight. IT's understanding light intensity, saturations, luminosity, ambiance... a heap of things.

How I learn shading is by working in grey scale, that way you only have to learn light and dark- not hue and luminosity too. learn to make it 3D in grey scale, and you're a step closer. I suggest going off a photographic reference, and practicing the basics, like how to make a circle look like a ball and stuff. Till you get that, you're going to just be chasing your tail I believe. :( I hope that helps.
ImageImageImageImage

I'm a Zebra, betch~

Arkillian wrote:
Please don't be offended by this, but did you follow a tutorial? OR are you doing this by trial and error? Trial and error can give some interesting results, but if you REALLY want to learn shading, you really have to understand how to make an object 3D first, cause shading isn't just a matter of slapping in a shadow and a highlight. IT's understanding light intensity, saturations, luminosity, ambiance... a heap of things.

How I learn shading is by working in grey scale, that way you only have to learn light and dark- not hue and luminosity too. learn to make it 3D in grey scale, and you're a step closer. I suggest going off a photographic reference, and practicing the basics, like how to make a circle look like a ball and stuff. Till you get that, you're going to just be chasing your tail I believe. :( I hope that helps.

I agree. I actually learned a shading technique by working with a black and white picture (because Photoshop was being ghetto and wouldn't let me color it in color XDD) BUt that was a long time ago. Then I found a new shading technique by working on a picture for my 2000 pageviews on deviantART.

A good idea is this: learn how to adjust the body (clothes, hair, etc) so that there WILL be shadows. Then, choose a place to have a light source. Then shade where you think there should be shadows. Then worry about highlights. Of course, work with basics, like shading different shapes (balls, prisms, odd shapes) before trying it.

I should know. I fail at shading. XDDD I'm still learning, even after six years. My art has come a long way though, but it's not perfect lmao.
I'm a Zebra, betch, and don't you forget it~
Page 8 of 13 [ 510 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart