Last visit was:
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just beat Last Window... (tagged spoilers)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:33 pm 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: nuuuuu, stoooooop
I beat Last Window last night (Japanese version) so I thought I'd share some of my impressions!

First of all, so glad the game is coming out in English in some form, because it's really good and I think you'll all enjoy it. Everything good about the first game is back, with a great story, neat characters, stylish art and music, etc. The puzzles had a fair amount of variety, but like HD most of them weren't that difficult. I can't think of any particular aspect of the game that made it better than HD, but it stacks up pretty well.

They talk a lot in the promotion of the game about the "novel" that follows your progress, but it actually doesn't update until you finish each chapter, so I found it useless when it came to figuring out where I was supposed to go next. I haven't given it an in depth read, so I dunno if there are any extra story things hidden in it, but I think it's ultimately more gimmick than gameplay device. Which isn't necessarily bad I suppose.

Game overs in LW were a little weird, because you can't just get kicked out of a hotel, so they ended up feeling really trivial. A couple were cheaply placed, so that one wrong move gets you game over, and it doesn't even feel like that mistake would have kept Kyle from solving the case anyway. Those were a little frustrating. I kept yelling at Kyle to suck it up!

The one area where I think Last Window falls noticeably below Hotel Dusk is in the pacing. Because the game takes place over a week instead of just one day, it feels like there are a lot of times when hours pass with nothing happening (like Kyle will go to a movie, or take a walk around town, just to make it seem like he's actually filling a full day). Kyle doesn't even figure out that the mystery he's trying to solve has a connection to him until several days in, so there's very little sense of urgency. Plus, even though HD had plenty of characters to "interrogate" that didn't fit entirely into the plot, it felt like each of them still had a unique and interesting story to unravel. Many of LW's characters are deeper than they originally seem, but in the first few chapters you don't know much about them and it's hard to care about the petty secrets you get them to reveal.

So ultimately it feels like you spend most of the game not progressing the plot very far at all, until all of a sudden a dam bursts and it's WHOA PLOT WATCH OUT WHOOOO!! leading up to a satisfying conclusion.

There are a few connections to HD as well.
Spoiler: Vague spoilers
Ed and Rachel are back, and Mila makes an appearance. There are also mentions of Bradley and Nile, and an easter egg or two. And Pinky Rabbit.

And for those who have played it, I think I'll add that my favorite characters was...
Spoiler:
Dylan. Seriously, I love that creeper. I'm not sure why, because in real life he'd freak anyone the fuck out, but the whole game I laughed whenever he showed up because it was like he had some kind of man-crush on Kyle and was stalking him. Then I found out the real reason and he was even cooler. Or creepier, whichever. I'm sure most people are gonna hate him once they play the game but he put some badly needed spice into the early chapters.

Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks come September!

Post subject: Re: Just beat Last Window... (tagged spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: earthlings on fire
I still really admire your ability to read Japanese. It's mind-bogglingly difficult to try to learn T_T

So... would you say that LW was overall better or not as good as HD? And does one have to play HD to fully understand what's going on? (I have played Hotel Dusk, so that's not an issue)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am 
Admin
Admin

Right now I don't think Last Window is quite as good as Hotel Dusk, because of the pacing problem I mentioned. In HD Kyle was so driven to find Bradley that it felt like the story had some momentum the entire time, even when it was being sidetracked with wine labels and Christmas Trees. With LW it takes a while before you feel like Kyle is on his A game.

But I think with a replay, knowing the characters and what to look out for, I'm sure I'll like it better. I'm already looking forward to seeing a few scenes in particular with wiser eyes.

If someone hasn't played Hotel Dusk they can easily play Last Window and understand everything. The parts of Kyle's history that are important are explained in the dialogue. However, I'd definitely recommend that everyone play HD first, as there are a few reveals in LW that are much more compelling if you have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

So I only played a little with my broken Japanese, but the impression I got was that Hyde seemed a lot more polite this time around. Is that true? His whole look is a little less scruffy, and his speech seemed a little more formal. Then again, that could just be because Japanese is a more formal culture--I played both the English and Japanese versions of Hotel Dusk, and found that the Japanese version's dialogue was a lot less interesting. I hope that the English localization team can match the quality translation of the first game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:35 am 
Admin
Admin

If you only played a little, it might be because you were talking to Margaret...? She is one of the first conversations. With Margaret and occasionally with the other apartment ladies Kyle does resort to desu/masu, which gives him a superficial kind of formal quality, but for most of the game he's his same hard-boiled self. He's toned down a little since Dusk, since the people he's dealing with are his neighbors (some of which he's known for years) instead of strangers, but over all I felt he was very true to character.

I can't say I agree that his look is more formal, since there are a lot of pictures of Kyle in this game lounging around, rolling around in bed in his pajamas, etc. He spends a lot of the game grumbling half asleep into a telephone, hee hee. :edgy:

But then, I haven't played Hotel Dusk in Japanese, so I dunno how it compares.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:16 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

That's good to hear, I love it when Hyde is a bit of a jerk.

But really, you don't think his new look is a little more formal?
Image Image

In the first game he was wearing that oversized red crown jacket, this time he's got much more of a 'proper' suit on. Though his tie is still nice and loose. Maybe it's just the facial expressions that give me that impression, they just seem a little more serious and less relaxed in general.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:49 am 
Admin
Admin

Well yeah, he replaced his jacket for a real one, but if Kyle's demeanor has changed from HD he's definitely become more relaxed, not the other way around. Probably because he's not going "omg Bradley-boo where are you emoemo" at the end of every chapter, lol.

I wish I could rip the graphics for you all 'cause he's got some great expressions this time around!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 pm 
Suspect
Suspect

Custom Title: Total trip man.
I'm just curious, which game do you think had better characters? Hotel Dusk, or Last Window? Because that is all I worry about with this game, missing the older characters. And by the sounds of it, there is not much mention of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 pm 
Admin
Admin

I didn't want to say much about the characters specifically for fear of spoilers, but the game does have a good cast. Some of them don't shine until later chapters, but I really liked Dylan, Will, and Sydney a lot. I did find myself missing Iris and Louie, though. Betty and Steve try to take over those roles but I didn't think they had as much heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:30 am 
Suspect
Suspect

Custom Title: Total trip man.
Sounds good. I'm very exited to get my hands on that. :)
I could tell from the trailer Steve was the new Louie. His descrition even sounded like him, that's too bad though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:28 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 迷探偵
Croik wrote:
The one area where I think Last Window falls noticeably below Hotel Dusk is in the pacing. Because the game takes place over a week instead of just one day, it feels like there are a lot of times when hours pass with nothing happening (like Kyle will go to a movie, or take a walk around town, just to make it seem like he's actually filling a full day). Kyle doesn't even figure out that the mystery he's trying to solve has a connection to him until several days in, so there's very little sense of urgency. Plus, even though HD had plenty of characters to "interrogate" that didn't fit entirely into the plot, it felt like each of them still had a unique and interesting story to unravel. Many of LW's characters are deeper than they originally seem, but in the first few chapters you don't know much about them and it's hard to care about the petty secrets you get them to reveal.

I feel exactly the opposite about the game: in Hotel Dusk, all those events happening in one night just felt unnatural to me. It was too much "OK, got him to confess about that, so who is next on the break-down list?!". The more relaxed pacing of Last Window made the latter a more enjoyable and believable story IMHO.

[quote]And for those who have played it, I think I'll add that my favorite characters was...
Spoiler:
Dylan. Seriously, I love that creeper. I'm not sure why, because in real life he'd freak anyone the fuck out, but the whole game I laughed whenever he showed up because it was like he had some kind of man-crush on Kyle and was stalking him. Then I found out the real reason and he was even cooler. Or creepier, whichever. I'm sure most people are gonna hate him once they play the game but he put some badly needed spice into the early chapters.

Same character! Man, near the end, I really creeped out everytime that character showed up.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 am 
Admin
Admin

Ash wrote:
I feel exactly the opposite about the game: in Hotel Dusk, all those events happening in one night just felt unnatural to me. It was too much "OK, got him to confess about that, so who is next on the break-down list?!". The more relaxed pacing of Last Window made the latter a more enjoyable and believable story IMHO.

Yeah, that is true. My brother was replaying HD the other day and he pointed out to me that Kyle ate dinner and had three or four conversations in the span of half an hour, haha. But to be honest, I still prefer that to Kyle going an entire day on those three conversations and a single meal.

Everything in Last Window probably could have been condensed into three or four days instead of a week, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:16 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 世界中
Just quickly, how is the novel itself?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:10 am 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: Deputy of Self-Esteem
From what I remember Croik telling me, she didn't deal much with the novel system in her play through. If I recall, she said the novel didn't update until after the chapter was completed, but she only looked at it at most 3 times or so, so she wasn't highly concerned with it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:13 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

^Okay. I wonder if the story is interesting. :phoenix:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 am 
Admin
Admin

I'm in the middle of a replay (trying to get the best ending, if there is one...?) and I finally paused to read some of the novel. To be honest, I wasn't impressed. It's pretty much just bits and pieces of the game dialogue with a lot of "and then they talked some more about ___" in between. AKA it's more or less an abridged script with a few stage cues thrown in.

I'm really not sure why they bothered... It'd be a lot faster just to pack the actual script into a readable format.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

^That's a shame, i was expecting a good read.

..Then again, it is Summer where talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.
TheBaronAndEma wrote:
^That's a shame, i was expecting a good read.

..Then again, it is Summer where talking about.

Do I detect a small case of fridge brilliance? Ha ha...

Seriously, though, that is too bad. :sadshoe:

Totally not my sig...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:12 pm 
Suspect
Suspect

Damn, I'm trying to learn Japanese in University but it's sooo hard.

Glad to hear that overall it was an enjoyable game. My nostalgic bias for HD probably wouldn't have let me rank LW higher than it any way, after I play it.

A question though, how is the music in LW? In more detail. Does it stack up to HD?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:01 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.
Pandonetho wrote:
Glad to hear that overall it was an enjoyable game. My nostalgic bias for HD probably wouldn't have let me rank LW higher than it any way, after I play it.

I'm totally in the same boat. The power of my nostalgic bias for many games (including Hotel Dusk) is incredibly strong, no matter how irrational I tell myself it is...

Totally not my sig...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:58 am 
Admin
Admin

Pandonetho wrote:
A question though, how is the music in LW? In more detail. Does it stack up to HD?

The music is great. Bolt Storm posted a rip in here somewhere so you can hear for yourself. There are a couple tracks taken right from Hotel Dusk, a couple that were remixed/redone, and some great all new tracks--they all fit together almost seamlessly. It's great stuff.

Ash, did you do the crossword puzzle? Do you know if...
Spoiler:
...you can give the money to anyone? I just forked it over to Steve, but now I'm wondering if I could have saved it for Marie or Charles or something.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:24 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 迷探偵
It's been a while since I last played the game (and I can't get to the game now), but

Spoiler:
I also gave the money to Steve, but I did hear you can hold on to the money and give it to other people at other moments in the game, though it won't really change the ending

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:46 am 
Admin
Admin

Ahh, good thing I left a save spot at that point. I was hoping I could use it to...
Spoiler:
Buy Mila a proper Christmas present. Honestly, all she got was a badly drawn picture of a penis. Kyle is a horrible person.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 am 
Moderators
Moderators

Custom Title: Mostly human
I'm relieved that it's a good game, I'm not sure that Again was a fitting swansong for Cing.

Anyways, onto the question;
In the first game it was often unclear where to go, and by about halfway through you had access to nearly all the hotel, sometimes making searching for the next event/item a bore. Conversely, in Another Code R Ashley was nearly always plonked near where she needed to be at the start of each chapter, always knew where she needed to go and paths would be blocked to prevent you straying too far. This made it far less irritating to play through, but killed some of the immersion; I never really felt fully in control of Ashley.

Which one does Last Window stand closest to in terms of railroading? Ideally I'd prefer something in the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:59 pm 
Admin
Admin

Ummm I'd like to say it was in the middle, but thinking back the only times where I wasn't sure where to go or how to solve a puzzle, it was because I simply hadn't paid enough attention. Most of the time you have very decent clues indicating where you're supposed to be (which is nice, since Cape West is larger than Dusk). But even from the beginning you pretty much have free reign of the place, so it never felt like the game was boxing me into a specific path.

In short, I didn't have as many "Okay WHERE am I supposed to go!?" moments as in Dusk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 am 
Suspect
Suspect

Just beat the game today.

Spoiler:
The ending didn't tell everything. I still want to know what happened to Dylan in the end. He is such a creepy character and I got totally scared by his facial expression once in his room when he finished a phone call. LOL

Steve and Louis are similar in a lot of ways but I personally like Louis more.

Also, I really like the story of Hyde's father. I could imagine how hopeless and sad he was when he sent the signals out and did not get any response in front that window 25 years ago...:(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 am 
Admin
Admin

dante110 wrote:
Just beat the game today.

Spoiler:
The ending didn't tell everything. I still want to know what happened to Dylan in the end. He is such a creepy character and I got totally scared by his facial expression once in his room when he finished a phone call. LOL

Spoiler:
Me too! Such a great character. I'm glad that LW had actually "villain" type characters running around (Will wasn't really a villain, but he's at least threatening!). At the end of Dusk everyone was friends, more or less, so I'm glad they changed that up.

My personal theory is that Bradley ended up chasing Dylan down, heh heh heh heh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Just quickly, what was your favourite/most memorable puzzle?

Can't believe it's only a week or so away :edgy:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:37 pm 
Admin
Admin

The only puzzle that stumped me (until I got a hint from a Japanese site) was the Music Box. Pretty clever. But I can't say more or I'll spoil it. :shoe:

Like with HD I wish some of the puzzles were harder/more interesting...

Oh, but make sure you do the crossword puzzle as soon as you get it. I held off thinking I could do it later, and then the deadline expired. Unlike the Stars from HD all the clues are accessible from the start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Croik wrote:
The only puzzle that stumped me (until I got a hint from a Japanese site) was the Music Box. Pretty clever. But I can't say more or I'll spoil it. :shoe:

Like with HD I wish some of the puzzles were harder/more interesting...

Oh, but make sure you do the crossword puzzle as soon as you get it. I held off thinking I could do it later, and then the deadline expired. Unlike the Stars from HD all the clues are accessible from the start.

Thanks very much for the tips! :edgy:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:27 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

Custom Title: Poké Maniac & Ace Attorney
Spoiler: Pokémon reference? Pokémon reference.

:scientific:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 pm 
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness

Custom Title: They took some honey, from a tree...
MJL wrote:
Spoiler: Pokémon reference? Pokémon reference.

:scientific:

Couldn't help noticing that, too!

Managed to beat it...and "wow" is how I sum up Last Window.

Can't really type out all that I loved about it now, so I'll condense it...

Favourite Characters:

Tony was a total Bro.
Frank was a pretty cool old guy.
Charles was also pretty funny, leaping immediately to
Spoiler:
Attempt to pick the door lock with a wire.

Dylan...
Spoiler:
My opinion of him kept bouncing left and right. "Hmm, he's suspicious. Actually, he's pretty cool! Okay, now he's creepy. Oh, wait, still cool. Ah, now he's a bad guy. Well, shit.

Also, probably gonna be a large batch of KylexMarie shippers. Cing, you manipulative bastards!

Last edited by Colonel Olrik on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:32 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
The characters were about as good as in HD... But there were more of them, so I prefer this cast tbh.

Spoiler: Spoilers for the whole game
Hated Tony at first, after you confront him he gets really cool. And he made a good song. Also, crowbar. He was too much like Louis though.

Betty... She deserved more screen-time. After you find out Rex was using her, which is pretty early in the game, she's only mentioned a couple of times by Tony IIRC.

Mags was cool. I never got kicked out once, so that's probably why I like her, lol. She's much more polite than Dunning, and she had a really tragic backstory.

Dylan is a tricky character. I didn't really care for him at first, but I started to like him after the fire alarm thing broke out. Then he became more and more suspicious, until he turned out to be a mole from Nile. I'm not sure what to think of him.

Marie was tricky as well, she started out rude and stuck-up, then she softened, but then Rex made me doubt her in chapter 3 or something. Turns out she was just being used and abused though, so I felt really bad for her. Although, that puzzle where you had to prevent her from jumping off the roof was stupid.

Like Betty, Rex deserved much more screen-time. The trailers and official website made him out to be much more important than he actually was. I expected him to be some kind of Lang-esque rival who turns good near the end, but he just appeared in chapter 2 and 3 and was absent until chapter 8 or something. Didn't really care for his backstory either.

Frank is the coolest grumpy old ex-cop ever. 'Nuff said.

Charles was a good kid, much better than that Jeff Angel punk at least. He helped you out a lot and the French accent I imagined him with was adorable.

I loved Sidney and Claire. They were always there when Kyle was hungry or just needed company, and Sidney's backstory actually made me a bit foggy-eyed. You can tell the guy wants his customers to be happy.

Will... He was weird. It was cool to have another salesman in the game, especially since personality-wise, they're the complete opposite of each other. Kyle is rude, straight-to-the-point and short-tempered but has a heart of gold, while Will is a smooth-talking gentleman who is actually a slimeball, although he turned out to be pretty tragic in the end. He also asks a lot of questions, has at least one dead parent and pries into people's private business... Sound familiar?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 am 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: 元・超会社員級の管理人
Finished it (though my actual copy is still in the mail...)

Spoiler: here there be spoilers
I liked that there was an actual villain this time around in the form of Dylan (and Will, to a lesser degree), even if in the end it still went down the same "this really, really sucks for everyone here and there's not much we can do about it" route as the first game.

I think my stupidest game over was in Chapter 9 because I closed the DS when Marie was looking at me. "JK MR HYDE I'M NOT GONNA JUMP LOL BOY I TROLLED YOU OKAY BYE ENJOY YOUR POLICE"

Puzzle-wise, nothing stumped me until the elevator. I looked that one up without shame because I wanted to get to the end.

Speaking of the end, I felt it was maybe a little too similar to Hotel Dusk in that it was pretty much "the manager was wrapped up in some bad stuff, now s/he is sad yay kyle you solved it" but at least the epilogue was nice. Also it was a little odd that Frank's interrogation was markedly more difficult than Margaret's (gameplaywise, at least; storywise it makes perfect sense). Also I completely missed Betty and Charles in the epilogue, I guess I should have knocked on their doors or something. Also, what's the "extra" reward you get for not opening the files? Is it just the billiards game?

Character-wise I liked most everybody; Tony was so close to Louie it wasn't even funny though. Dylan went from kind of humorously annoying to suspicious after that one chapter 6 DRAMATIC CUTAWAY shot which kind of made it obvious he was up to something. It was surprising that he really was just a Nile operative, plain and simple! Even when I confronted him the second time I thought he probably was just being blackmailed like Marie or didn't realize what he was involved in, but nope, he was a crook, simple as that. Also, I kept expecting Margaret not to be the "final boss" because I figured Cing wouldn't pull the same trick twice. (incidentally this is also how I got an extra game over in chapter 10 because I accused Frank of knocking out Hyde/Tony.) It was also nice that you never really interrogate Charles, Sidney, or Claire; it got rid of the "rarrrrr I am kyle I must interrogate everyone" feeling from Hotel Dusk (though I laughed when Kyle caught Charles coming out of the room and was just like, "back inside, now, we're talking" like he was just used to this sort of thing by now.)

Rex was a little less important than I figured he'd be; I thought he'd actually have a pretty big role, but no, he was basically just there to make Marie seem suspicious. I liked Marie as a character if not as a person; she was well-written but got on my nerves a little bit (which was probably the intention). Will was nice just because he was pretty clearly a villain of some sort (which is a nice change for Cing) so it's a shame he's just around for like two chapters tops.

Mila didn't really need to be in the game, like, at all. It was nice to see her, but she just sort of was filler for Chapter 7. I expected "Rainy Night" and "On the Rocks" to be used when talking to her at some point, but instead she just left and didn't come back for the rest of the game - I was hoping she'd stick around a bit and try and get involved (even if Kyle tried to dissuade her, which he would).

I managed to avoid listening to several tracks on the OST (anything I hadn't heard when I played through chapter 3 of the Japanese version) so Believe, Promise, and Sunset Men were fantastic. Violet Sky was actually a little less impressive than I'd hoped, but I think part of that is that it was playing during the epilogue rather than after a confrontation.

All in all excellent, even if the very end was a little lackluster.

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 am 
Admin
Admin

Anyone figure out yet if there's a good ending and bad ending? My first playthrough I got quite a few Game Overs, my second playthrough only one (I was dumb enough to save in the middle of a conversation that I'd already screwed up... gahhh) but the endings seemed the same.

Spoiler:
Kyle gives Frank the evidence he collected, Tony gets a gig, Sydney's wife shows up to talk, Kyle settles with Margaret, he sends the Red Star back... Am I missing something or is the "good ending" just getting the confidential epilogue?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Idol of Polar Bears
I beat the game a few hours ago.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

Highlights:
-Tony, Dylan, Frank, and Sidney. Period.
-Bigger and better production values than Hotel Dusk
-More personal insight into Kyle's life

Not content with putting the game down, I've booted up a new game and saved it to an empty file. Now I'm playing Kyle Hyde: Ace Jerk, content to pissing off everyone at every moment possible since I'm curious as to how many Game Overs there are in each chapter. I'm hoping to find some facepalm- or lol-worthy ones to share with the rest of you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:11 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Croik wrote:
Anyone figure out yet if there's a good ending and bad ending? My first playthrough I got quite a few Game Overs, my second playthrough only one (I was dumb enough to save in the middle of a conversation that I'd already screwed up... gahhh) but the endings seemed the same.

Spoiler:
Kyle gives Frank the evidence he collected, Tony gets a gig, Sydney's wife shows up to talk, Kyle settles with Margaret, he sends the Red Star back... Am I missing something or is the "good ending" just getting the confidential epilogue?

Nah, I beat the game with no game over whatsoever, and I had the very same ending as you. Haven't read the epilogue though, so maybe that's where the difference may lie. But if I remember correctly, you would only get HD's good ending during a 'perfect' New Game + walkthrough, and it looks like this game doesn't have any such feature (unfortunately). I'll try later anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Finished the game this morning (and was half an hour late for school =P) so I'll post my thoughts here, I guess:

Spoiler: Veeeery long ranty-type thing
Of course, the game is incredibly epic. I feel it only really got into gear from Will's confrontation in Chapter 7 to Chapter 9, though - the first 1-6 chapters featured mostly unrelated characters and their relatively pathetic secrets. I do kind of miss the formulaic confrontations of the first game - there, it really felt like every character mattered and made a difference. In this game, towards the end I started subconsciously grouping people into "Nile/Condor related" and just "Other". The last chapter of the game, though featuring some of the most awesome puzzles ever to grace the DS, really slowed down the pace (I was stuck for almost an hour in that stupid elevator).

I must admit, up until Will's confrontation I was getting quite disappointed in the game. Before then the "confrontations" you get are Marie lying barefacedly to you, Rex hinting vaguely at knowing your past, Tony having an anger management problem, Sidney's wife leaving, and Betty having bad taste in men. Oh, and Charles with his "NUUUUU GO AWAY GO AWAY I'M WRITING" (which, to be fair, I found adorable <3). All very nice, but nothing definitively plot-related. Maybe it was just the lack of a lovely "Violet Sky", but it never really felt like Kyle was seriously helping anybody like in the first game.

Then bam. Will, Marie, Rex, Dylan, Mags. Confrontations loaded with tension and people who didn't want to talk (oh my god, Frank.) Everyone trying to kill you and/or themselves. That part of the game was so awesome I actually could not put the DS down. It's a shame they all left: during the last chapter I found myself really missing Dylan stalking me as I wandered around the fourth floor going up and down the elevator. Something else I don't understand is why Kyle felt the need to ask Tony to go up with him. It just felt a bit like a forced parallel to the last game, even though Louie had an actual connection to everything that was going on whereas Tony was just after the money.

I really did like the elevator puzzle, although it did cause me to completely withdraw out of the immersion and think "It's the climax of the game and Kyle's been playing with the elevator for friggin' HOURS." (I didn't realize you had to unlock the fourth floor button, so I actually kept going up and down to all of the floors and the rooftop.)

Still, I think Hotel Dusk left me with more. Kyle Hyde had already solved the mystery of his father's death quite a bit before Margaret revealed all, so the personal connection was lost. Watching Dunning wait hopelessly for Jenny to come home just had more impact than watching Mags cry by the lighthouse. I also felt a degree of animosity towards her for making me search for that stupid room D=

Something else that also irked me was Mila. She just seemed too... Japanese, I guess. All shy and withdrawn. The ship tease was actually kind of disturbing, which is sad because the rooftop scene was quite lovely, really. Is there any way to get her a proper Christmas present? I was almost certain I could somehow give her the snowglobe in the Red Crown box, but it seems like that was just a red herring.

I tried showing the $1000 to Betty and Charles (I gave it away to Tony before I could meet Marie again). Betty is just "OMG WHERE DID YOU GET THAT", whereas Kyle just rubs it in Charles' face. Poor kid.

It is an awesome game, and I wish there was a New Game + with new things to unlock. I mean, at the end all you get is a book, a jukebox and Pinkie Rabbit Land (which I admit sure is entertaining enough XD Ninjas~)

Oh, and hearing Yellow Desert in the credit sequences was something else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:19 pm 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: Deputy of Self-Esteem
Spoiler: Re: Check
I was so intent on getting that money to Charles (Poor kid trying to invest in his future). Although, in the end I did not even get a chance to hand over the money. I had no intention of giving Tony the money. (Because you know he's going to spend it on gambling) Then CHRISTMAS happened. And Tony being a genuinely nice guy gives you a present. All the while I'm like "DARN YOU! DARN YOU! NOW I'LL FEEL LIKE A JERK IF I DON'T GIVE YOU THE MONEY YOU CLEARLY DO NOT DESERVE. DARN YOU AND DARN YOU AGAIN!"

In the end, Charles is cameraless, Tony gets gambling money Studio rental money, Hyde gets day old chicken and bourbon flavored mouth wash, and Wooster is steaming out of his ears.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:34 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Spoiler:
Like I said anyway, if you show Charles the money he just goes "Oh, so you got it then? Damn, I really wanted that money..."

I guess there's only so far you can push Kyle past the boundaries of his jerkness