Oh boy oh boy oh boy!
Rank: Ace Attorney
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:26 am
Okay I'm just going to explain everything right away to prevent further confusion.
1) The first My Little Pony show came out in the 1980s so Hasbro could also cater to girls (like how Transformers catered to boys). It was the 80's so most cartoons were all for advertising toys. Unfortunately, because Most Writers are Male, they really didn't know how to make a show for girls. The show was so bad that even some girls didn't like it. They did however like the toys. Boys still hated it because it threatened their masculinity. The franchise infamously entered the mainstream and everyone knew what it was (but nobody really knew what it was about).
2) It got cancelled and then brought back because some people actually LIKED the My Little Pony show. The toys have still been popular ever since. Over the years, they released new series that nobody really paid attention to.
3) Enter 2009. Lauren Faust, wife of Craig Maccracken (Of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Powerpuff Girls fame), was asked by Hasbro to make the next My Little Pony show for them. It was originally just supposed to be like the other My Little Pony series: Its purpose was to mainly promote the toys and make Hasbro some money.
4) Lauren does the show good for a My Little Pony cartoon. In terms of animation quality, voice acting, and character personalities, it was really good.
5) /co/ , 4chan's cartoon boards, picked up on the show when an internet blogger wrote about Hasbro's new channel The Hub, which premiered the new and current My Little Pony series along with several other Hasbro reboots (such as a new Transformers series and Pound Puppies).
6) As the episodes keep coming 4chan gets more and more plagued by ponies. Eventually image macros and show-related memes spill into other 4chan boards such as /b/ and /v/.
7) By February 2011, the show had gained sort of a cult following. Not everyone really knew or cared about the new My Little Pony series at all. But then suddenly 4chan is overflowed with so much pony material. There was also a massive backlash and pony hatedom. The mods had to take things under control and banned all references to the show all over the board. They quickly withdrew this ban however but those banned were still banned for a week. This got many others curious about the show. Including many of your friends, family members, associates, acquaintances, strangers you met, and maybe even yourself.
8) By around April-May the whole thing had exploded. Especially when the season finale ended. Fans now had no more new episodes to watch so they sought to create their own material in the form of music videos, Youtube Poops, Abridged series, whatever. Through recommendations and massive exposure the Brony fandom has been growing everyday while the hatedom has actually been shrinking. As they say, the rest is history.
In conclusion: It is okay to like the show. It does not make you "less of a man" to watch it. Lauren Faust herself has said that she meant the show to be watchable by all genders and ages. It's gotten to the point where there are more male than female fans so what gender you are and how old you are is really irrelevant. If you do not enjoy the show that's also fine. But keep in mind that there are plenty of other things made for girls (A whole genre of anime, Disney movies like Princess and the Frog, and Fan Fiction websites) that can be just as enjoyable for boys, even straight ones.
Another thing to note: The first two episodes sort of serve as an introduction to the characters, they actually aren't much like the rest of the series at all and can be considered quite mediocre.
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!
Last edited by Yaragorm on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.