Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 12 of 13[ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Re: Crit thread- Need any help improving your art?Topic%20Title

The Hoosiers :) Just too cool.

Arkillian wrote:
Oh, no. I'll critique it- don't worry abotu that! I just asked cause you've actually changed quite a bit about the picture- the pose is actually different I just wanted to know if you wanted it to be the some pose. Getting an image perfect to this image would be near impossible due to the level of blurryness of the referance! :sadshoe:

I can give you a red line critique on Sunday after the convention this weekend- unfortunately I have a visitor coming from Hastings this weekend so it'll need to wait. I can give pointers first though, and redline it later so you can see what I mean by the differences in the pose. (Also, which guy is it? I can help getting his face a similar structure if I know which one it is.

• Firstly, the original is rather dark, but it still has a light source. I'd suggest you make the ordeal of drawing this as easy for yourself as possible by turning this picture into grey scale. I use to do that too all my pictures so there was no doubt where the shadows and highlights were. Colours are CONFUSING cause a blue and a red of the same tint beside eachother can still look a different shade due to the amount of light each colour reflects. Blue reflects alot, and red reflects bugger all (It's why they use red light when processing film- cause it radiates the lowest spectrum of light. Red light is the light for someone that doesn't want to disturb darkvision. Red also photocopies black while the same tint of blue photocopies white.). So yeah- spot your whites and blacks and put them in first. No matter how simplified your style is, large creases still need to exist in clothing, and shadows from a hat etc...
  • Still on the subject of lighting, artistic licence can give the impression of colour separation by fakeing the difference between blue and red buy shading more or less. Now, his hat and shirt are white, so if you made the progression of base tone to full shadow more obvious, it'd give an impression of a lighter base colour. Starting your shadows off at a medium colour and working to black gives the impression that the base colour is darker. You've given the whole image the same base colour, making his white hat and polo shirt look a similar colour to his skin which it is not. This may or may not be apparent when you translate this to grey scale so I thought I'd bring it up. You want to clearly define that the hat and skirt are a different colour to his skin
  • Heh- before you beat yourself up over the shading, there's nothing wrong with how you shaded. It doesn't matter which way the shading goes when you do it. What matters is the effect it gives. Now, I'm assuming that since it's not smudged that this is pen, so what I'm going to suggest is that you do something like this. Get a piece of paper and shade a bar of 100% white to 100% black with your pen and fight to get those variations in between. You'll find that making a variation in the gaps between lines makes it lighter, so does thinner lines. Do this a few times with lines, cross hatching, dots, squiggles, any method you can think off to give the impression of tonal change with an ink pen. This sounds boring, but I think you'll notice tonal change better once you've done it, and will be more experimental with your method of tone use. See, right now you're only using lines (I'd use single lines rather than a zigzag if I were you though since it looks nicer. If you want a scribble effect, then more circular scribbles look nicer)
  • My last think is that his pose isn't the same in both pictures. I know that you were going for your own style, which is cool, but if you want to copy his pose in your style, you need to get the flow of his pose the same. I may do an experiment with this. I have a few artist friends who I could get to quickly draw this pose in their style so I can show you what I mean. My friend Lucky does animation styled art, my friendKayla has a Mangaish style. I'll see if they can do one, and I'll show it along side one I've done. You'll see that style doesn't have much to do with the pose at all

I hope that'll help for now anyways :)

yes, thank you that really helps :)

also hes the guy on the right, sorry hes faceing the wrong way, there wasn't really any other pics of him^^;

I'll have to re-do him sometime and do everything you've said :)

(sorry it took so long to reply, I....yeah, i have no excuse ^^;, but thank you very much for the crit!)
my sprites Image(click the pic for pandas graphics~)

Waiting on Godot...

Sorry I took a while to post this, but I was busy.

Golden Luxray- I asked my friends to draw the same pose in their style. It'll show how a picture can be conveyed very similar to a reference yet unique to the artists style. I only asked them to do sketches, so these are just pictures they've thrown together. Improvements can be made to them, but you'll notice that the interity of the picture remains even if the style is very cartoon or something very different. (Man- mine is actually really different to the original ref O.o Just realised. I totally drew the keyboard in an unergonomic angle XD)

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I hope it helps to show that alot of integrity of the original can be kept despite your art style. It's about the feel of the pose more than the accuracy.
ImageImageImageImage

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

I tried to do a more realistic style of one of my favourite musical artists, Adele.
here's the reference photo; http://www.sweetslyrics.com/images/img_gal/113_2577243_adele.jpg

I realise it wasn't the best picture to choose, seeing as the top of her head is cut off, but it let me use my past pictures to come up with what would be there anyway. Also, unfortunately, I ran out of space and part of her bun is cut off, however that doesn't really matter too much.

Spoiler: The Pic
I realise that:
-Her eyes are large, too large, yes. I tried doing them smaller but they ended up looking even worse, and it was getting to the point where I'd damage the paper, so I decided to leave them as they were, because they were better than my normal attempt. While we're on her eyes, I think that the pupil and Iris are too small, but I'm not entirely sure. Oh, and her right eye shape gets weird at the bottom. I only realise that now when I see it this big :yuusaku:
-The Hair isn't all that great. Something bugs me about her hair but I'm really not sure what. I think it's some of the white space that was left in there. I was a little hasty on this one, perhaps. I probably should have taken more time. Also with the hair, I used long strokes on the pencil to try and give it the 'hair' look, but it didn't turn out the way I would have hoped.

I left the face free from too much shading, because I'm not all that good at it yet...maybe next time I'll give it an attempt. Also next time, I'll try colour. I just felt like leaving this one in pencil. And I used a 4B, as that is the pencil I find most comfortable to use...I know pencil softness makes a difference, is a 4B okay for drawing human faces?

And thanks for looking :hobohodo:

Waiting on Godot...

Oh good. Tumble weed was starting to pile up there XD I didn't want to double post >.<

Firstly, in proportion to the nose, the eyes are actually correct so don't worry too much there :) To make the eyes smaller, you'd have to shrink the nose. That's not the biggest point I'd like to convey first though.

You were saying that you ran out of room when you got to the bun- this is something that shouldn't happen for a VERY good reason. Professional artists can always fit things on a page the way they want it, not because they're perfect, but because they map out the image on the page and the size and flow it'll be before they flesh it out. I'm not talking about linearts here, I'm talking approx shape, and VERY fast. What you're wanting is the FEEL of the picture. Start off BASIC. Circles, lines, cones, cylinders... Basic shapes. This is what they taught me in life drawing, and it's the only way of visualising the human form as a 3D object. Get those basic lines down so you know where on the page it sits, and how much room it takes up. That way your bun doesn't get cut off, and your humans become in proportion.

Spoiler: This is sort of what I throw together for a group pic

I didn't finish the above picture in the end cause although I loved the scene, it didn't make an interesting enough picture for me to continue on, and I found that if the sketch doesn't excite me, then there's no point continuing.

The biggest thing is that if you're working on the appearance of the objects long enough that you can't bear to erase it and start again, or even drop the WHOLE picture, then you're putting too much effort into it. Fast. That's what a sketch should be. Fast and expressive. Keep drawing it till the pose and proportions are right, then slowly flesh it up to a final sketch stage. If you're at a final sketch and you're having regrets, you did something wrong.

Pro tip. Flip the image, and hold it up to the light. Look at it. Is it wonky? Yes? Tweek it till it doesn't look weird flipped. This is a priceless pro tip I use so often when I can't see what's wrong with my art. Flipping it makes the image unfamiliar. You can spot balance mistakes easy as with this method. I've gotten use to in now so I barely have issues now. You'll figure it out too eventually :)

the next things would be a red line crit, but I can't do that tonight. It's like... 2am. I'll let you sit on this for a day. Tell me if you want a redline crit or not and I'll see what I can do :)
ImageImageImageImage

Put my comments in red.

Arkillian wrote:
Oh good. Tumble weed was starting to pile up there XD I didn't want to double post >.<

Firstly, in proportion to the nose, the eyes are actually correct so don't worry too much there :) To make the eyes smaller, you'd have to shrink the nose. That's not the biggest point I'd like to convey first though.

Oh, okay then. I thought they looked a little large, but, I guess I was wrong... I wonder why I thought that.

You were saying that you ran out of room when you got to the bun- this is something that shouldn't happen for a VERY good reason. Professional artists can always fit things on a page the way they want it, not because they're perfect, but because they map out the image on the page and the size and flow it'll be before they flesh it out. I'm not talking about linearts here, I'm talking approx shape, and VERY fast. What you're wanting is the FEEL of the picture. Start off BASIC. Circles, lines, cones, cylinders... Basic shapes. This is what they taught me in life drawing, and it's the only way of visualising the human form as a 3D object. Get those basic lines down so you know where on the page it sits, and how much room it takes up. That way your bun doesn't get cut off, and your humans become in proportion.

Okay then, I'll be sure to do this in the future. I'm no professional artist, but if I want my pictures to look better then yeah I'll do this. I never really got drawing humans in 3D shapes, though, or even basic shapes. Sure, I know that it's a great technique, but I never really understood it all that well.

I really should have planned things out...I'll be sure to do that next time. I usually do a little 'thumbnail' before I start to work on a peice, a sketch of what i'll do but really small. Of course, not the area of a thumbnail, but that's the phrase I find suits it the best.

Spoiler: This is sort of what I throw together for a group pic

I didn't finish the above picture in the end cause although I loved the scene, it didn't make an interesting enough picture for me to continue on, and I found that if the sketch doesn't excite me, then there's no point continuing.

I have to agree here xD Theres piles of unfinished sketches all piled up in my drawers simply because they weren't interesting enough to follow through.

The biggest thing is that if you're working on the appearance of the objects long enough that you can't bear to erase it and start again, or even drop the WHOLE picture, then you're putting too much effort into it. Fast. That's what a sketch should be. Fast and expressive. Keep drawing it till the pose and proportions are right, then slowly flesh it up to a final sketch stage. If you're at a final sketch and you're having regrets, you did something wrong.

:notes: Alright. I tend to keep my sketches quick anyhow, and try to be quick with them as possible as not to overthink them.

Pro tip. Flip the image, and hold it up to the light. Look at it. Is it wonky? Yes? Tweek it till it doesn't look weird flipped. This is a priceless pro tip I use so often when I can't see what's wrong with my art. Flipping it makes the image unfamiliar. You can spot balance mistakes easy as with this method. I've gotten use to in now so I barely have issues now. You'll figure it out too eventually :)

Ah. Have my own version of this. I flip the image in paint. BAM! the mistakes jump out at me hugely, stuff I didn't even see before. And it really has helped me improve.

the next things would be a red line crit, but I can't do that tonight. It's like... 2am. I'll let you sit on this for a day. Tell me if you want a redline crit or not and I'll see what I can do :)

A red line crit would be lovely, but I'm not REALLY fussed about it. If you are going to do one, don't feel rushed to do it, because, I'm relaxed about that.

Waiting on Godot...

You don't really need to do a thumbnail as such. Just make sure you draw a very simplified version of the picture on a scale version of the page (even if it's not on the final page it MUST be the same proportions). A sketch however should take the same amount of time large as it would small. It's just details that take time. Big sweeping movements and large shapes can map out the page fast, and effectively.

If it's difficult to see how much you can fit onto your page and you're going off a photograph, it helps to 'crop' the image first. Pros use their thumb and index on either hand to mentally 'crop' images to see if more interesting shapes fall on their canvas area

Seen artists do this with their fingers and it looks all mysterious and insightful? That's all they're doing. They're using their fingers to show how much information they can get onto their page at a certain zoom of an object. The smaller the box, the more zoomed in the artist is painting. You can do this with a cardboard cut out too. It must be a close approximation to your canvas/paper though.

I'll do a redline sometime this weekend. I'm not sure how to explain why the eyes and nose are in proportion mostly to eachother, but basically if you mentally block out everything BUT the eyes and nose, they look right. The mouth and chin seem alot smaller than they should be, that's all. I'll see if I can explain it a bit better when I get home though. Maybe it'll help if I did a step by step of me drawing her. That way I' less vague (I hope ^^; ) Art is alot easier to show hands on sadly :(
ImageImageImageImage

Ahhh, okay then. I pretty much knew what they were doing because my grandma has been teaching me and giving me art lessons, and this was one of her tips. She used the cardboard 'View finder' instead of her hands but I use my hands...

Oh, I see where her chin should be bigger now you say that. It was sort of hidden by her shoulder in my pic so I didn't really think about it, but looking back at the reference picture I see your point.

Waiting on Godot...

Ok- I'm going to draw up a step by step crit on this to see if that helps. I've drawn a version of that image in my style to show the steps I go about drawing this picture. I donno if it'll help, but here's the final product-

Spoiler: Adele

I rushed the hair a little, but that's not important. I'll see if I can help with shapes, shadows etc... I'm just missing the first two scans of this >.< I'll post it when I have them
ImageImageImageImage

smile

Hello people!

I was wondering if you can critique me...

Spoiler: image of young Franzy

I'm aware of

-MISSING EYE
-a bit too blurry
-no shading in the clothing
-messy lines

I need help with

-hair shading
-shading the clothing
-shoulder proportions
-skin shading (arms, face)
-Shading the hair
ImageImage
the sig was made by PandaPrinzessin
Bellossom avatar made by me
Husband: Marche Tobaye

Waiting on Godot...

Sparkleranger- If you just want critique on how to shade hair in an anime style then I suggest searching Deviantart for tutorials. Otherwise, the correct way to learn how to shade is to turn everything into simple shapes and shade the shapes individually.

Being a manga art style and not realistic, the shoulders seem ok to me. She's a bit chibi, but that's the style.
ImageImageImageImage

smile

I would search Deviant art, but I has made my computer crash. I have no idea why. And I don't really want it to be chibi-ish. But I'll work more on it tomorrow. Thanks! :)

Waiting on Godot...

What do you want then? Are you copying the original style or do you have something else in mind?
ImageImageImageImage

smile

Well, this is my first digital art. And I'm using a mouse.
Anyways, I was going for a... like a cute style. I want to make her look like her age but and take out her fierceness. But I wanted to try drawing on the computer. So yeah... Hahaha I feel a little embarrased! :sillytrucy: I'll try posting some of my other art works here that are on pencil and paper.
ImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Ah- now it makes more sense! Have you tried scanning linearts instead? It makes life SO much easier! Digital painting with a mouse is a NIGHTMARE. I'd only flood fill with a mouse myself. I'd suggest doing linearts by hand then scanning till you get a mouse. Unless you do vectors, painting with a mouse is VERY tedious.

Heh- I'd very much like to see a paper and pencil picture :) I'd like to see how your hands naturally work. Mice aren't designed to be drawn with.
ImageImageImageImage

smile

Arkillian wrote:
Ah- now it makes more sense! Have you tried scanning linearts instead? It makes life SO much easier! Digital painting with a mouse is a NIGHTMARE. I'd only flood fill with a mouse myself. I'd suggest doing linearts by hand then scanning till you get a mouse. Unless you do vectors, painting with a mouse is VERY tedious.

Heh- I'd very much like to see a paper and pencil picture :) I'd like to see how your hands naturally work. Mice aren't designed to be drawn with.

Yeah, the mouse sucks! :grey: Yeah, paper and pencil is my game! And...this is gonna sound silly...but what is a lineart? I have no idea, maybe I should just look it up so I don't cause spam.
ImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

If you took a guess at it, you'd be right. It's art that consists of lines. It can also have pre fabricated shading and texture etc... Having a strong lineart does WONDERS for colouring

Spoiler: Lineart example

Above is an example of this final picture
ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Spoiler: Adele Tutorial

Romeo- I hope this tutorial helps a little. It's really difficult to tell you about some of the steps without showing it. This is about how I lay mine out. IT has some tips but alot is familiarity of the face. I could give a red line crit, but I think you should give it another go after reading this. See if it helps any. It may just be a pointers thing hat I can help with :)
ImageImageImageImage

I'm sorry I haven't posted, I've been on holiday for a week and forgot to mention that. ^^; I feel bad ehheee...

I really do appreciate all this help you're giving me. And the tutorial is fantastic :D I tried looking up some other ones on DeviantART but I could only find ones for manga/anime style faces, not realistic ones...maybe my searches aren't specific enough? And thanks for the shading tips in there, my art teachers hate us 'blending' work with our fingers, perhaps because they think we can't do it properly. I've never tried it before but I'll give it a go.

Okay, my next project:
Try and draw a face again. I may pick a different one from Adele just to try something new. I'll scan in each step and show you my progress hopefully.

Thanks again~

Waiting on Godot...

Blending with fingers is messy, and it leaves oil on the paper from your fingers. IT's best to use tissue.

I think giving it another go is a good idea. You have a lot of new info to chew on and practising it is the best way to learn it. and don't worry if it doesn't turn out perfect. Just do it the best that you can do. You can't do any better than that, and that's actually ok. It's not a bad thing.

I wish you luck with it!
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
Blending with fingers is messy, and it leaves oil on the paper from your fingers. IT's best to use tissue.

I think giving it another go is a good idea. You have a lot of new info to chew on and practising it is the best way to learn it. and don't worry if it doesn't turn out perfect. Just do it the best that you can do. You can't do any better than that, and that's actually ok. It's not a bad thing.

I wish you luck with it!

Thanks a ton! :tennis:
I always try and do the best I can. Even if it isn't perfect, it helps me learn. I'm confident the next one will be better than the adele one ^^

Waiting on Godot...

Art is rarely perfect to the artist. You just need to learn when to stop and move on to the next piece. The biggest thing art should do is tell a story. The skill involved with art is telling that story concisely without distracting the viewer with incorrect information.
ImageImageImageImage

hi, er i don't actully HAVE a picture for you to crit, though i would like help. ^^;

i am awful at drawing men/hair/general face details ie eyes mouth, so i was wondering if anyone could just give a lil' info 'cos ive tried loads of places and havent found anything, i'd like to know about realistic ways thanks :) ^^;

Waiting on Godot...

IT's a little difficult to give advice like that without a picture first ^^; Basically, just start simple. Don't go straight for a complex picture. Honestly- art is hard. Just cause you have a reference doesn't mean it'll be easy. You need to know what you're looking at.

My recommendation for you is to find a how to book like the one I learnt from (Drawing the head and figure- Jack Hamm) and learn how to assemble a generic head from scratch. Once you have generic form knowledge, then references will help cause you'll know what you're looking at. That's all I can suggest for now though.
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
IT's a little difficult to give advice like that without a picture first ^^; Basically, just start simple. Don't go straight for a complex picture. Honestly- art is hard. Just cause you have a reference doesn't mean it'll be easy. You need to know what you're looking at.

My recommendation for you is to find a how to book like the one I learnt from (Drawing the head and figure- Jack Hamm) and learn how to assemble a generic head from scratch. Once you have generic form knowledge, then references will help cause you'll know what you're looking at. That's all I can suggest for now though.

Yeah, sorry about not haveing a pic ^^;;
I'll look up that book thanks :) i have been looking for books but not knowing what one are good are not, thanks for the advice :-)

Waiting on Godot...

There's alot of good ones. I particularly like Jack Hamm's cause it's concise, but alot of people swear by Burne Hogarth and Andrew Loomis. I personally don't like Hogarth's over rendered art style but he KNOWS his stuff- lots of references of complex hand positions... once you simplify his art style to something less knobbly. I appreciate Loomis's sense of humour more cause he also does caricature, and has a bit of fun in his books. They're all old school art styles though. You need to look past that and look at the lessons they teach. I'm yet to find a book in manga styled art that teaches you how to draw humans as well as these. Heck, western styled art books are bad at it too. When you're further on, "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simbet is a great reference book. Has a lot of beautiful photographs with skeletal and muscular comparisons in it. I wouldn't go there till you get the basics first though. And I warn you, as soon as you start picking up reference books like this, there WILL be man bits in full view so be aware. This book has a mini section on frontal nudity cause it's an awkward thing to ask people to pose for (It's all artistic nude- not sexual)

The thing with drawing humans is you have to know what they look like naked before you can draw them clothed. You get use to it fast if you don't get paranoid that people will think weird stuff of you.
ImageImageImageImage

Helloo, it's me here, Romeo, again. (Man it feels like i'm the main one who posts here ^^;)

Anyway, this time it's not a living thing, It's some still life art. Some apples, to be precise. And for starters, I know the background is non-existent right now, i ran out of time in my class, so sorry for that folks ^^;

Also the scanner kills the quality for some reason...it's normally pretty good with stuff like this.
Also, as for what I used, it was Acrylic paints. I was given a choice of well over 30 colours and had to pick the ones I wanted to use. I chose 'Scarlet Letter' for the red of the apples, 'Apple green' for the green (WONDER WHY.), 'Paynes Gray' for darkening shades and 'Pure white' for adding light. I also chose some browns, but I forgot their names. I started doing a basic circle-ish shape for each apple, and then sort of painted outwards from where the stalk came out, round into a sphere shape.

Also used, some pastels for the shadow of the apples, I felt it would give an easier look than paint.
Spoiler: The picture, after all this talking.
I just want to know if they look like apples, are the shadows believable, and I struggled with getting the depth of the basket, so any help on that would be wonderful, too :D

Thanks to whomever decides to have a shot at it, I'd love to have more than one opinion so don't be shy :)

Waiting on Godot...

Don't worry- it's not a bad thing. I don't mind. There's gaps between your posts so it's all good. You're not the only one. Probably the most frequent, that's all :)

OK, giving colour names doesn't help cause colours vary amongst brands so apple green in one brand will not be the same apple green in another. Heck, it can vary in batch numbers. I can help though. I've done painting courses and research. I'm familiar with student grade acrylics, and middle grade oil paints.

Firstly, student grade acrylics are NOTHING like professional grade, so if the fact that it paints like plastic annoys you, rest assured that professional paints paint like silk. The student ones dry too fast, and they dry like rubber. They're REALLY frustrating, but they're cheap to learn from so it's all good. I have some iridescent, and metalics paints in a student range. They're fun to play with :)

First thing I was told to do when I learnt to paint was to lay a base down of a colour that fitted the mood of the picture. This helps you with mixing colours nicely cause the temperature of a colour can change depending on what colour it's beside. A warm yellow can turn cold by a bold red if it's not saturated enough, while the same yellow may be perfect as a warm colour beside a blue.

Next, you actually have 6 primary colours. Ward red, warm blue, warm yellow, cool red, cool blue, cool yellow. When I did my oil painting course, they asked me to buy specific brands of paint cause all colours like cobalt blue varies to the different brands. Cobalt blue is a cool blue, while Ultramarine is a warm blue. I got a cadmium red, and another which was the warm red, cadmium yellow and a cold yellow... forget what it was... Basically, if a warm light hits an object, it reflects a warm colour (has reder tints in the colour), but the shadow is always the complementary colour but in cold colours (so it'll have more bluer tints to it). painters usually don't use black cause tonal greys (greys that are only black and white mixes) are washed out. Artists usually make greys and blacks by mixing the primaries together for a saturated grey or black.

When doing highlights of a warm colour, it's nice to mix with yellow to lighten it rather than white cause white gives that pink colour which isn't eye catching. If you mix yellow in it'll make the red lighter and pop more making it a focus (like the top apple. If that apple had no pink on it it'd be the focus of the picture)

Your bowel I assume isn't a glossy object, so matt finish is best if you take the base colour and add the complimentary colour to it to darken it in the shadows rather than highlight it. IT'll give it a flat finish rather than a gloss one.

Look for the apple's shadows too. It'll make them look like they're on something and not floating :)

And finally, with realistic painting, if the edge curves around gradually, don't sharpen it with a boarder. Make the edge soft, and make sure that the colour behind it is different to the foreground to separate it out. This will give it a round appearance. Sharp edges flatten objects out plane wise.

The apples actually look really good, so keep up the good work. This is all stuff your teacher likely wont teach you and assume that you'll learn on your own. Heck, if your art teacher is anything like mine then they'll assume you want to draw picaso and never teach you anything fun to draw ever >.>

Hope it helps! </text wall>
ImageImageImageImage

Ahaa thank you very much for all the criticisms, they help a lot :D

And I drew these in an art lesson that my nan teaches me, she's actually an artist herself (runs in the family) and let me use some of her more expensive paints, so yeah they ran absolutely fine, there was no problem. They did dry fairly quickly, but they were kind of old, he he.

This '6 primary colours' thing you're talking about actually makes a world of more sense, having 'warms' and 'colds'.
Ah okay, mix with yellow, not with white...I can see how that would work :notes:
As for the borders, they were kind of meant to be the shadow of the apple on the other apple? Do you get what i mean? ^^; But yeah, they do kind of look like borderlines.

And as for my actual art teachers at school...it's never anything fun, really. Except the last day when we got to draw caricatures of ourselves.

Waiting on Godot...

White is good for some applications- I'm just saying that you can mix yellows in to make it lighter and warmer too.

Ah- your grandmother is teaching you. That makes sense then cause you seemed to have some interesting details on the apples.

A shadow on an apple would be thicker and darker in some areas and thinner and lighter in others on the edge, not evenly dark. That suggests that it's shadowed onto a curved surface. I think it's also strange since it has such a different coloured shadow to the base colour under it even though the highlight colour isn't equally as saturated. Don't get me wrong- blue is good. Just a less saturated blue next time cause it pops out too much. Also, extend a lighter shadow up the apple too. I suggest doing a bit of practice of painting or rendering in some way a sphere to see how light reacts when shone onto it. All it's planes are round. I think you'll be surprised.

What brand are the paints out of curiosity?
ImageImageImageImage

Sorry I took so long to reply ^^; Been very busy. ...napping.

I think we used a brand called 'Cryla', but I can't be certain...it might also have been a Spanish brand called 'Vallejo' as well. I even asked my grandma and she's not sure herself, I did do them apples a while ago now.

Arkillian wrote:
There's alot of good ones. I particularly like Jack Hamm's cause it's concise, but alot of people swear by Burne Hogarth and Andrew Loomis. I personally don't like Hogarth's over rendered art style but he KNOWS his stuff- lots of references of complex hand positions... once you simplify his art style to something less knobbly. I appreciate Loomis's sense of humour more cause he also does caricature, and has a bit of fun in his books. They're all old school art styles though. You need to look past that and look at the lessons they teach. I'm yet to find a book in manga styled art that teaches you how to draw humans as well as these. Heck, western styled art books are bad at it too. When you're further on, "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simbet is a great reference book. Has a lot of beautiful photographs with skeletal and muscular comparisons in it. I wouldn't go there till you get the basics first though. And I warn you, as soon as you start picking up reference books like this, there WILL be man bits in full view so be aware. This book has a mini section on frontal nudity cause it's an awkward thing to ask people to pose for (It's all artistic nude- not sexual)

The thing with drawing humans is you have to know what they look like naked before you can draw them clothed. You get use to it fast if you don't get paranoid that people will think weird stuff of you.

GOODNESS!
i completely forgot about posting on here!!
im terribly sorry!
I'll keep all of these books in mind when i get some mollar! Thanks for this, and im SO SORRY, i feel really rude :sadshoe: SORRY!

okay, im going to be even more rude and ask for crit after not replying for ages, oh im so sorry!

pencil : http://shmirbykirby.deviantart.com/#/d48ltu3
comp touch up (but still in the working) : http://shmirbykirby.deviantart.com/#/d495t7b
comp 2 (still in the making and still touching up) :http://shmirbykirby.deviantart.com/#/d49geyv

i AM SO SO SORRY, really i am! and i feel bad for asking for crit, but could you? :sadshoe: so sorry!

Waiting on Godot...

Don't be sorry. You and Romeo are the only ones making a use of this thread anymore :/ The fanart thread in general is SO inactive T.T I was hoping that having a place to get help on art would make people want to draw more of it. :/

Do you still have the original sketch? I don't know what happened between that and the digital linearts you did, but the picture warped and looks nothing like it even though the sketch was the closest you got to the original :(

I assume this is the reference

When you scanned it, does the scanner have any arrows in it to show where it starts scanning from? Some scanners auto crop based off those arrows. plug one corner int the corner they point to and you shouldn't have cropping issues anymore. Mine has it in the bottom left (I think it's standard but that may not be the case). Otherwise, scan as 'full platen' and crop the picture yourself. Scanners can be irky about these sort of things. I'll give you a crit if you can give me a full scan of the original pencil picture.

Heh- the guy in the middle has such a comical expression XD
ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Crit thread is still open for giving critiques! Please don't be daunted by the length of he thread or what ever- I can do more than one critique at once :)
ImageImageImageImage

Beautiful flower

I need help with poses.

Spoiler:

I used this as a reference, but like you see I don't have any reference for Viola, so she ended up like that (which looks weird compared to the rest of the girls).

Help? :sadshoe:
I'm most active on my tumblr.
Visit my Sprite edit thread

Waiting on Godot...

Were you wanting the poses to be the same as those in the picture? Cause I can do it 2 ways. I can red line crit to show you how to make these poses right, or how to get the original poses. The girls are almost all off balance. I can't tell if part of that is if the picture was photographed or what those since the imaged is so JPEGed :payne: These poses the girls make in your referenced rely on the girls next to them for balance, which is why they're so close. There's alot of gap in yours, so the pose doesn't work as well. Specially for Camee and Inney.
ImageImageImageImage

Beautiful flower

Took me forever to find this thread. I thought it was in the Present Evidence section. :acro:

Arkillian wrote:
Were you wanting the poses to be the same as those in the picture? Cause I can do it 2 ways. I can red line crit to show you how to make these poses right, or how to get the original poses. The girls are almost all off balance. I can't tell if part of that is if the picture was photographed or what those since the imaged is so JPEGed :payne: These poses the girls make in your referenced rely on the girls next to them for balance, which is why they're so close. There's alot of gap in yours, so the pose doesn't work as well. Specially for Camee and Inney.

Do the former please? :maya:
I'm most active on my tumblr.
Visit my Sprite edit thread

Waiting on Godot...

Sorry about the wait :( I'm having a mass of BSOD issues with my computer. IT's a real pain. T.T I'm currently on my laptop which doesn't have a nice screen to draw with. I'll BRB with it soon I hope T.T I'm trying re-applying the fan on my CPU chip to see if it was overheating. If I haven't fried the chip I'll be good to go in a few days >.<
ImageImageImageImage

This isn't so much of asking for a criticism of a piece of art, more of a little question.

For Christmas, I received a Wacom Bamboo Tablet, which I am very pleased with, however i'm wondering which software to use. The only drawing software that we have currently is Paint, however that is hardly professional enough to do detailed drawings, and while many great pieces of art have been done on paint, it isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Now, I downloaded GIMP, because my friend reccomended it. It's free and it has enough tools (as well as pressure mechanics) to allow for more complicated and advanced pieces of work. It's working amazingly and although I haven't really planned out anything major yet, it seems like the right program.
So, do you think i can do better than GIMP, or should I just stick with it? Photoshop is out of the question as it is far too expensive.

Anyone with a tablet can answer this question.

Waiting on Godot...

I could suggest programs for you to try, but it's what you enjoy the most. Nothing to do with what is a superior program. Gimp is a simplified version of Photoshop, but there's also Corel, Sai, and a bunch of painting type programs. There's also illustrator for more vector based art.

The problem is you have to pay alot to get top end programs. Artrage is a really good program that isn't well known but is well priced. You can download a free version to trial it, but it's like using traditional media.

It's what you want that counts.
ImageImageImageImage

Thank you for the advice. I know the price isn't the main focus on what I should choose, and after thought GIMP is just fine right now. It has all the tools I need and probably some I don't know about for now, so I'm not going to waste money when i already have a decent program that works well.

I haven't done anything serious on it yet, but it seems really easy to use. I just completed a simple drawing and am experimenting with shading it in different ways. Maybe once I do something better I'll see what people think and post it here C:
Page 12 of 13 [ 510 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart