3DS 60%  60%  [ 55 ]
iOS 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
Android 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Vita 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Any Console 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 91
What platform can we expect GS5 on?Topic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

If you had asked me a month or two ago, I would've said "3DS", no question. With Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney it would make a massive amount of sense to cash in on that train while it exists.

On the other hand, we recently got GS123 HD, we've had a TON of ports in the past. But this was the first time since the DS that Capcom has taken a port seriously, you could argue that the DS was the only time Capcom took a port seriously until now.

Yes, the iOS port has, what I view as some glaring flaws, but I figure that game was our version of a movie licensed game, and it suffered by being rushed out the door to meet the movie deadline.

But it shows that Capcom is taking that platform seriously. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get the Edgeworth Saga on iOS as well, but not the 3DS since the Japanese will not be in any rush to have an new copy on their Nintendo handhelds.

The only new info we have on GS5 is the logo. Nothing else. And that nothing else curiously includes the platform.

Remember, I'm not asking you where you 'want' GS5 to be, I'm asking where you think Capcom sees the money, since that's how they'll decide the platform.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: What platform can we expect GS5 on?Topic%20Title

The Twisted Samurai

I can´t tell which one, but most likely the stupidest one.
Capcom did a lot stuff in the recent time, which deserves a huge facepalm, in my most honest opinion. (That sentence sounds kinda weird, sorry...)

What I meant to say:
C(r)apcom did lotsa miststeps in the past (cancelling like everything connected do Mega Man, not bringing the proper Mega Man in UMVC3 nor SFxTekken, that weird preorder-bonus for those preorder Asura´s Wrath, cancelling MHP3rd....)

Yeah, as said, not sure, but it will be something ridiculous, if you´d ask me now.
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Komikero

I'm not entirely sure of the monetary advantages the iOS has over the 3DS, since aren't most apps free? Forgive my ignorance regarding the matter; I'm not really a big fan of Apple gadgets. Hmm.

If Capcom decides to follow AA tradition, they'd stick to the Nintendo handheld. But like you said it does seem as if they're taking the ports really seriously now. The HD graphics definitely prove that point, since that's a much higher step up than the DS port graphics. I'm not exactly sure at this point what platform they'll ultimately choose, but my hypothesis is they'll go for whichever platform has the most number of users. Now, that might be the case if and only if they're looking at it from a monetary advantage standpoint. So I'd say both 3DS and iOS have a pretty equal chance at the moment.

Though in my personal opinion, I'd rather they stuck with the 3DS. No offense, but I think apps are meant to appeal to more casual gamers. With a 3DS release, at least, it would be proper for the target audience in mind. Just my two cents.

I'm a professional comic artist and illustrator. Click on the above logo to visit my official website.

Gettin' Old!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
I can´t tell which one, but most likely the stupidest one.
Capcom did a lot stuff in the recent time, which deserves a huge facepalm, in my most honest opinion. (That sentence sounds kinda weird, sorry...)

What I meant to say:
C(r)apcom did lotsa miststeps in the past (cancelling like everything connected do Mega Man, not bringing the proper Mega Man in UMVC3 nor SFxTekken, that weird preorder-bonus for those preorder Asura´s Wrath, cancelling MHP3rd....)

Yeah, as said, not sure, but it will be something ridiculous, if you´d ask me now.

Hey now some people were ecstatic to see that megaman in SFxSuperiorGame.

But I'd imagine they'd bring it to 3DS.
After all like The Lightning Fist says apps are cheap, I got the impression that the price of the HD collection on iOS isn't exactly the price of say a full retail game. If they want money they'll go for 3DS.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

You know, I've given this a bit of thought and think digital distribution works better for the Ace Attorney series.
One of the largest flaws of the console games is that they offer almost zero replayability for the casual gamer who might pick it up. Sure, we have...us who play the games repeatedly, but CR is a minority of the overall fandom. I personally think that having each case released seperately for a few dollars as opposed to 4-5 at a time would be a good way to go. In Australia, gaming is horribly expensive. To give you an idea, AJ in 2008 cost 70AUD. In 2010, AAI cost 50AUD. These are a lot of money for a one time story to some people. Buying the game and then adding to it with a case every 3-4 months or so could be considered. As a big fan of AA, I would buy them regardless (well...AAI I waited 2 years for and it took a long time to find), but I think the iOS or Wii U virtual console can't be dismissed.
Having said that, I personally want it on the DS so I can delay getting a 3DS. Yet if it's on the 3DS...well I'll have to save then, won't I?

Komikero

Shiun Enshidia wrote:
Having said that, I personally want it on the DS so I can delay getting a 3DS. Yet if it's on the 3DS...well I'll have to save then, won't I?

No offense, but a lot of people are saying that the DS is already dead, so we'll inevitably have to save up for a 3DS whether we like it or not. And I personally don't see Capcom still opting to create the game for the DS now that newer platforms can provide better opportunities (both monetary and non-monetary). Just a thought.

I'm a professional comic artist and illustrator. Click on the above logo to visit my official website.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

LightningfistCal wrote:
I'm not entirely sure of the monetary advantages the iOS has over the 3DS, since aren't most apps free? Forgive my ignorance regarding the matter; I'm not really a big fan of Apple gadgets. Hmm.

If Capcom decides to follow AA tradition, they'd stick to the Nintendo handheld. But like you said it does seem as if they're taking the ports really seriously now. The HD graphics definitely prove that point, since that's a much higher step up than the DS port graphics. I'm not exactly sure at this point what platform they'll ultimately choose, but my hypothesis is they'll go for whichever platform has the most number of users. Now, that might be the case if and only if they're looking at it from a monetary advantage standpoint. So I'd say both 3DS and iOS have a pretty equal chance at the moment.

Though in my personal opinion, I'd rather they stuck with the 3DS. No offense, but I think apps are meant to appeal to more casual gamers. With a 3DS release, at least, it would be proper for the target audience in mind. Just my two cents.

As I understand it, iOS has a much larger userbase, and there's no inventory/manufacturing costs. That there is a major incentive for Capcom. Plus, unlike Android, iOS users are actually willing to pay for stuff.

On the other hand, iOS users are much less likely to pay full price for a game. The norm for independents is $3 as a premium, they're also much more fickle when the game doesn't entertain them in the first few minutes or so.

The 3DS on the other hand, aside from what is obviously opposite of iOS, development costs are much higher. There are also much less games then iOS, which means every game has a period of anticipation, highlight, and focus. Ghost Trick right now is sitting at second to last in Apple's what's hot section. Once it drops off from there it can only be discovered by people explicitly looking for it. With the 3DS it's much easier to find older games.

Personally, I hope it's on the 3DS. I don't think being on the app store will give Capcom the light it needs to grow the fan base. But I've got nothing to base that assumption on.

1000% Knight

Would developing for iOS really give it lower developmental costs? I understand that it costs more to develop a GS/GK game than one of those simple casual games, but why would it cost less to develop the same game for iOS than for the 3DS? (I know the physical cartridges, boxes, and shipping increase the cost of 3DS games compared to iOS games, but that's not a development cost.)

Anyway, the series's main focus has been on Nintendo handhelds (and outside of Japan, basically on the DS). I'm not sure why they would change it now.... (Well, I sort of understand, but I really hope that they don't.) They have a fanbase, and since the games have been on (GBA/)DS, they knew that if they released it for (GBA/)DS it would be on a system that all their fans have access to. It's a bit of a leap to the 3DS, but I think most people who had a DS will also get a 3DS. It's still a little shaky, though.

Also, like Wooster said, iOS games tend to be cheap, and are supposed to give you quick entertainment. Ace Attorney is about the build-up of mystery and gradual reveal; it doesn't seem like something that would really thrive on a casual 'console' like that. Maybe they would get lots and lots of downloads of 1-1, but then not many purchases of the later cases. Also, the first cases have gotten longer and more complex as the franchise has gone on, meaning you'd need to wait even longer for any pay-off in GS5-1 (assuming the trend continues.)

One last note, I think it might also depend on the GS123HD sales. If it's a flop, I doubt they'll then make GS5 for iOS.

(@Wooster: Forum Bug: Can't vote in polls in the Court_Records_Kenji skin.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

The Twisted Samurai

Bad Player wrote:

Affirmative, me neither.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I'll attack that in two phases. First, the current gaming landscape is every game needs a developer and a publisher. On iOS, Apple is your publisher. Apple asks $100 per year. That's it. I don't know what the numbers are for mainstream systems, but I can say for sure it isn't just $100, based on the fact that smaller secs have been rejected by gaming publishers.

As for the 3DS in particular being more expensive, the top screen is 3D, that there is already dictating that the game must have 3D graphics or effects. 3D is harder and therefore more expensive then 2D. Then there's the fact that there's a second screen, effectively saying you really aught to create two UI's simultaneously.

iOS systems are designed to be held horizontally or vertically. The best ones I think do both, but it's not unheard of at all to focus on one or the other.

As for fixing the old Kenji theme, I don't want to make promises I won't keep, but what is the problem? Not letting you vote? Not displaying?

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
As for the 3DS in particular being more expensive, the top screen is 3D, that there is already dictating that the game must have 3D graphics or effects. 3D is harder and therefore more expensive then 2D. Then there's the fact that there's a second screen, effectively saying you really aught to create two UI's simultaneously.

Wooster your arguments are as depressing as they are doubt-infusing.

Yet isn't 3D also a large draw to the console? Assuming they aren't exclusively money-grubbing developers (and partially if they are) wouldn't they enjoy thinking of innovative new ways to utilise 3D in the latest GS game? Examining a scene in 3D? Creating beautiful new 3D models for the characters? Maybe even using AR cards to create a literal 'Little Thief'esque recreation of the crime scene? How about literally having to lean under an AR desk to find fingerprints?

The 3DS may be more expensive but when I look at the prices of the app collection it appears to average out at like$15.86 overall but if bought individually it would end up like $22-3ish I dunno I'm not great at on-the-spot maths.

Granted they could probably pull off the iOS version without major graphical updates but apps are cheap, they may pull more money in off of a proper 3DS release of maybe £34-40.

Of course they may just decide it's not profitable in the west like GK2 and keep it in Japan anyway.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

Well, that answers that :P

The UI is basically set, I think (for both DS and iOS) so I don't think that'd cost much more. I guess they'd have to resize it a bit for the 3DS, but I don't think it'd be that bad. I see what you're saying for 3D costing more, though. They already make 3D models for the evidence... not sure how different that is, though.

(About the forum bug: When I try to vote, a go to a little page with an error message that says "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.")

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Pierre wrote:
Quote:

Wooster your arguments are as depressing as they are doubt-infusing.

Yet isn't 3D also a large draw to the console? Assuming they aren't exclusively money-grubbing developers (and partially if they are) wouldn't they enjoy thinking of innovative new ways to utilise 3D in the latest GS game? Examining a scene in 3D? Creating beautiful new 3D models for the characters? Maybe even using AR cards to create a literal 'Little Thief'esque recreation of the crime scene? How about literally having to lean under an AR desk to find fingerprints?

The 3DS may be more expensive but when I look at the prices of the app collection it appears to average out at like$15.86 overall but if bought individually it would end up like $22-3ish I dunno I'm not great at on-the-spot maths.

Granted they could probably pull off the iOS version without major graphical updates but apps are cheap, they may pull more money in off of a proper 3DS release of maybe £34-40.

Of course they may just decide it's not profitable in the west like GK2 and keep it in Japan anyway.

You're kinda getting what I'm trying to say, but not quite. Is a draw to the system, not to the game itself. In the game, it's an expected standard. If your game doesn't have 3D graphics on the 3DS it's going to be shot down hard at the reviews. Therefore it's a mandatory boost to development costs. And again, I'm talking about costs, not sales.

The contrast in sales is incomparable enough to not be able to make a proper estimate on which is more profitable.

iOS has a MUCH larger amount of sales, but in a MUCH shorter amount of time. Retail price is dirt cheap, but no manufacturing costs.
3DS has less sales, but last longer. Much higher retail price, but there are a ton of added costs.

My name is Judge.

I think it would be safe to say that it would be on the 3DS, unless it just tanks so much over the next six months. Given the fact that the AA series has been on Nintendo platforms, and Capcom is only now taking ports seriously, all point to the idea of it being on the 3DS. Also, I didn't think that 3D effects/Graphics were a requirement to be on the 3DS. I thought that the control scheme and the improved resolution where the drawing factors, due to the negative reaction had to the 3D effects.

Also, the issue with iOS is the pricing. Ghost Trick is a fantastic example. An excellent port, that almost seems that it was built for the iOS. Reasonably priced, yet almost every single negative "review" was complaining about the pricing of the app. I think the average iOS user is spoiled to $1-$3 apps, and are extremely hesitant to play something so expensive, no matter how fantastic it might be. Therefore, even though cartridges and the like may cost more, the sales would be far better for the 3DS than for the iOS. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a simultaneous release of the game on both iOS and 3DS.

(Also, Wooster, what were the glaring issues with GS123 HD? Just out of curiosity.)

Last edited by Percei on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gettin' Old!

There's a lot of talk about initial downloads VS actual sales on iOS here, if we could find out something about how many freebie apps translated to sales for Ghost Trick of GS123 HD it may be helpful.

Also from last year Apparently 3DS development costs aren't as big as usual.

Plus maybe the recent string of titles combined with the announcement of GS5 is largely to drum up excitement for the game and the free apps are just a good way to get new folks hooked on the series for a small taster so they may buy a new game.

Also PWVSLayton's sales figures may also be a factor to consider as there they'll have a fanbase that will already own a 3DS and be at least half-way interested in the genre.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Unfortunately, I know very little about iOS game sales, and even less about big name brands that show up, since they tend to have totally different results then the indies.

But as for the numbers you crunched, that's the cost of admission, not the cost to develop a game. You're not paying Nintendo for that. But lets say that was my point even if it wasn't, suppose CR wanted to develop for Nintendo's 3DS, we might pick off one of each of the cheapest items in each category on the list. Lets say, 73056, 73065, 73062 and 73063; Oh, and you need a 3DS. That'd run us:

$3,238.50

Now, lets say we wanted to develop for iOS. We'll need 2 iPod Touches (Retina display, and not) for $200 and $300, an iPad for $500, a Mac for Development ($600 - $2,500 depending on model), and a Dev account $100.

For iOS, it'd cost you $1,700 - $3,600

So it's just shy of half the cost, to almost $400 over. And that's not counting whatever Nintendo charges to get into their club or what publishing goes for. But for what we're able to see, the admission costs are rather comparable.

Gettin' Old!

Yes granted it's cheaper for iOS (in most situations) but my point was it's not a devastatingly large cost for a games company especially compared to some of nintendo's previous costs.

There's more potential to be had for the 3DS version for a little extra.

Though sure if they are penny-scrimping, money-grubbing tools then I can see why they'd go iOS even if I think it would be an inferior game.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

It will defiantly be on either 3DS or iOS. No other console right now makes sense to me.

Most of the reasons for both have been brought up before, but I wanted to mention that I was looking at an older topic about some rare GS puzzle game or something and eventually it brought up a link which claimed to show the GS series for mobile phones (Even AJ and AAI). Not to mention the PC ports of the PW trilogy, and the new GS123HD. So it seems in Japan GS has always been ported to different systems.

I still think that the best chance is getting it on 3DS, because I think the stories themselves are written to be taken in all at once. I don't know about anyone else, but I've always gotten through a new GS in less than a week, and releasing it on a case by case basis would seem to detract from the narrative, which the developers might not want. And as people before me have said, a full game on the market would probably be too expensive for the normal casual gamer. Also the smartphone market still hasn't been really accepted as a real game market by many hard-core gamers and developers. I also think that the thing someone brought up about it being less noticed on iOS seems true; if Capcom didn't want to localize AAI2 for DS, I doubt they'd localize GS5 for iOS as the market for it is probably less on iOS than AAI2 was for DS due to the nature of the app store.

Of course, a lot of my reasoning could just be praying its on 3DS, since I own one and I'm an android guy.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Surf's Up!

I'd imagine that it would be on the 3DS, seeing as PWvsPL is a 3DS game...

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Affirmative, me neither.

It's the same here.

The rashness of youth. How charming.

In my opinion, it'll be either a digital release or 3DS. I think if Capcom sees great success with the IOS of games 1,2, and 3, they'll release it digitally. I hope they do this, as I have Apple electronics, but I lack a 3DS. 3DS is my next bet because the DS is all but dead, it's all about the 3DS nowadays. Right now I'm just praying for a release here, as Capcom hasn't been too good about that lately.
I am a fangirl and am not afraid to admit it! :D

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Either 3DS, iOS or hopefully on the old DS as well.

Because I don't want to buy a 3DS. :payne:

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

The Twisted Samurai

Mary Faraday wrote:
Either 3DS, iOS or hopefully on the old DS as well.

Because I don't want to buy a 3DS. :payne:

The normal DS is pretty much dead, also the 3DS now costs as much, as the DS Lite costed in its "best times".

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
The normal DS is pretty much dead, also the 3DS now costs as much, as the DS Lite costed in its "best times".

Hm, true. I guess the old DS-times are over.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

Objection!

I'd like to see it on the Wii, tbh. Although I doubt that'll happen.

If anyone here has played Trauma Team on the Wii, you'll know that Naomi's storyline is quite a lot like Phoenix Wright, and it all works very well.

Speaking of that, a Phoenix Wright/Trauma Series crossover would be incredibly awesome.

The Twisted Samurai

Axmann8 wrote:

If anyone here has played Trauma Team on the Wii, you'll know that Naomi's storyline is quite a lot like Phoenix Wright, and it all works very well.

Speaking of that, a Phoenix Wright/Trauma Series crossover would be incredibly awesome.

The Wii is just as death, as the DS. Dont forget: WiiU comes out in Fall, already.

The AA-franchise, mainly used to be a handheld game. (Yeah, I know about the wiimport, I got T&T for it).
Randomly jumping to the Wii seems more than random and illogical.

Also, it is kinda hart to believe, that a full price game would happen to come to the Wii Shop.

Bearded Gentleman

I'm guessing it will be released on the 3DS, and then later ported to iOS. The other games saw various releases on different platforms, so I expect much of the same.

A Male at Kurain Village (Maya's Boy)

3DS- Somewhere, I forget where. They said they wanted to bring AA to 3DS.
iOS- Only if Wright is the main character
Droid-Same as above

Deputy of Self-Esteem

cvmerchanary wrote:
3DS- Somewhere, I forget where. They said they wanted to bring AA to 3DS.
iOS- Only if Wright is the main character
Droid-Same as above

If you're referring to the article I think you are... That was when Takumi was trying to push Ghost Trick and Nintendo Introduced the 3DS, since Takumi was there already people asked him about AA on the 3DS. Since he knew as much about the system as anyone else at the time, he simply said they'll research it and if there's something they feel they can do they'll do it.

Or to paraphrase, "I wouldn't rule it out, but it's far too early to tell. Can we get back to Ghost Trick? That's why I'm here you know."

I'd think the 3DS. Maybe some of the others later, but I do think (and hope) it's the 3DS. Would make the most sense since the previous AA games are all for the DS, so the Nintendo handheld would be a logical choice. It's the console the fanbase would be likely to have and expect it for (and most DS gamers will probably sooner or later "update" to 3DS anyway when there's no more new DS games) It might be more expensive to make games for, but it can pay off more, too. Most likely, they intended it for the 3DS at first, too.

As for iOS, I... sort of doubt they would release the game for a non-game console? The customers and demographic for the games are gamers, not smartphone app users... Also, let's remember that even in this day and age, not everyone has an iPhone/Pad/other smartphone(I don't, and see no need for one). A lot of them, however, have a DS/3DS. Remember that the iOS release was a port of games that had already been out for years, and for a much cheaper price, cheaper than console games at least(iOS apps don't tend to cost a lot, I think)... a new game would go for a higher price, and then 3DS would make more sense. They'd make more money that way, anyway. They might release a iOS port later/along with 3DS, though, but I just don't see them having only the iOS version. (Maybe a demo on iOS?)
Also, like others said, there would probably be many people just downloading the first case and nothing more, making them not earn too much money on that(also, like Percei mentioned, some iOS users might not be willing to pay a lot for the apps?). A more "serious" game like that would be better for an actual game console, not some iPhone app more suited for more "casual" (ugh, I hate that term) titles, better for some quick, fun amusement when you're bored. Many gamers might not take iOS apps seriously - which might prevent new fans getting into the series, which probably is important now if the fandom is "smaller" and lots of old fans aren't interested anymore... (Also, I do think the game works best with two screens, because you see all the info at a time, making the DS/3DS consoles perfect for it. Not sure how the port is like, do you have to "change" between "top screen"/"bottom screen"?)

As for anything else, I really doubt so. Well, maybe Android if they go with an iOS release, for non-Apple users (I know if I got a smartphone, I'd get an Android instead of a iPhone...) At least, the Vita would not make sense for a series that has up until now been on Nintendo consoles, so I think that's pretty much out of the question.

Also, like mentioned, the DS seems to be pretty much "dead" now - it's been out for a year, and aside from a few Pokémon games(which will probably be some of the last DS games - the last "good"/non-shovelware ones at least), most recent handheld games are for the 3DS, and most developers have switched to the new console with better power and graphics and more possibilities for the games, the console that people are actually buying currently. So especially for a game we'll see in... 2013? 2014? I think there's no hope for a DS release.

((Maybe we'll also see it on 3DS eShop and/or WiiU-ware a while after it's released?))

Either way, as long as we actually get it over here I'm okay with whatever they choose, though I'm really hoping for and expecting 3DS. (I can always borrow my bro's iPhone in case of a iOS-only release anyway...)

Last edited by Zanreo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Hmm... Consider this: According to Wikipedia, there are, rounding up, 18 million 3DSs world wide.

Now, ignore the iPhone, ignore the iPad. The iPod Touch has sold 60 million.

Even with those limitations this isn't a direct comparison. iOS users wildly out number, but they don't buy many expensive games.

If I were Capcom, I'd release GS5 on the 3DS, and milk the premium price Nintendo gamers are willing to pay, then when that's done. Release it on iOS, Android, AND drop the price on the eShop to match.

1000% Knight

Zanreo wrote:
So especially for a game we'll see in... 2013? 2014?

I'm banking on a 2013 release, since the Gyakuten series has had a release on average every other year since... it started. (The only times it wasn't a 2-year difference was between AA and JFA, which was 1 year, and between T&T and AJ, which was 3 years... which averages out to 2 years.)

And, assuming they're going to release it in 2013, I really think/hope they're going to have something about it at this year's TGS... (even if it's just the platform it's going to be on :larry: )

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I'd bank on 2014 maybe. I don't know how closely they want to ride the wake of Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, and second they've got a lot to deal with this time around.

Takumi and his primary team were on Ghost Trick
A secondary team took on AAI
3DS is released
Takumi and who knows else is working on Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney

This is a very strange time for them to get back together.

Objection!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
Axmann8 wrote:

The Wii is just as death, as the DS. Dont forget: WiiU comes out in Fall, already.

The AA-franchise, mainly used to be a handheld game. (Yeah, I know about the wiimport, I got T&T for it).
Randomly jumping to the Wii seems more than random and illogical.

Also, it is kinda hart to believe, that a full price game would happen to come to the Wii Shop.

The Wii is not dead just because of the Wii U. Plenty of good PS2 games were made after the PS3 was released.

And I never said anything about the Wii's in-game shop. I was referring to a full-on console release, not a port or WiiWare title.

Yes, it will most likely be released on the 3DS, but a Wii release would do it justice, I think.

A Male at Kurain Village (Maya's Boy)

They better tell us something at TGS about GS5, I'm also wondering when they will (if they do) announce PL vs AA going west. Logically, we will get it over here in the US because it will out sell the Layton games (which have already out sold AA) because it's a crossover of two games with strong fan bases. I could see us getting PL v AA late 2013 and GS5 Mid 2014 (end of Q2 beginning Q3)

The truth can be sour.

I really hope I won't have to purchase a Wii U to continue the story of Ace Attorney. Although, I may be more willing to purchase if perhaps we get an anthology set with both Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and GS5 on the disc.

iOS

Tea time.

Definitely 3DS when it's first released, maybe iOS, though with GS123 HD out they'd be awkwardly skipping a sequel, GS4.

What's the difference between iOS and Android? Sorry if it's a weird and dumb-sounding question, but aren't both basically a phone that can do all sorts of stuff? Okay, my new phone is that type, too, but I only use it for SMS and Calls. (How boring, I know)

They'll probably bring it out on the 3DS first, just to keep the AA games on the DS handhelds for a while. Then they'll be d*cks and bring out HD ports to iOS. Can't really see anything going to the vita - I mean, lack of touch screen, right? If there is no touch screen, no fun in examining the evidence from all angles. Even if it can be done with buttons.

All I know is, if they do bring it out on the 3DS, I'm stuck with the Japanese version (not really complaining, although I understand Japanese better when it's spoken instead of just read). No matter my love for AA, I can't buy a european 3DS just for it.

C-A

My favorite Godot blend is all of them.

I reaffirm my beliefs from the similar thread -

Whilst an iOS release may prove lucrative, perhaps even more lucrative, I believe the dynamic of fans will change. The new fans will care less about the new AA titles than the existing fans, and the hardcore fans forced reluctantly into smartphone territory will play it with a bad taste in their mouth. But...it may be more lucrative. From just where I'm standing, I don't see how "new" AA games on the iOS medium could make just as much money as a console release, but I also think either option wouldn't make much in general. I think largely, this series isn't a cash cow, at least not outside of Japan. I have trouble viewing the iOS release as satisfyingly profitable for Capcom...but it might be the most profitable option they have.

Also a bit more opinion - I just don't see how the same level of quality would go into a new AA game on iOS. There's less at stake, it's in the sphere of casual gamers...if they're going all out and smartphoning the series, you'd think they'd fully adapt the titles and make them more appealing to the smartphone users rather than make them appealing to DSers moving to smartphones - that means diluting the series, making it apt for a small-ass screen, adding gaudy social aspects like speed run high scores or something...I don't know. That seems like it's viable to happen in that possibility to me. All of those facets would depersonalize the game for me if they were to happen...it would be entertaining the platform it's on more than the game itself.

...However. It's clear that a console release would merely please the immediate fans, the existing fans...it certainly won't gain more. Not substantially anyhow. I think by pure, evil economics, Capcom chooses iOS and has no problem diluting the series to blind buyers.
"...!
You dare to insult the courts!?"
Edgeworth is such a friggin' geek, I lost it

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

Trying to leave some of my personal opinions aside regarding 3Ds and iOS, let me consider the facts:

- iOS:

The smartphone gaming market is the most trending and large at the moment, however, it is also pretty fickle and the marjority of the most played games consist on simple and quick entertainment, such as Angry Birds and Temple Run, hence titles like FIFA 12 and Grand Theft Auto having low numbers regarding downloads. So, if AA were to triumph in the iOS field, it would mainly happen because of the name ("I downloaded it because I sold my DS recently and wanted to play AA") rather than because of the game itself, which means more DS users migrating from DS to iOS rather than attracting new fans.
However, it is also a fact that an iOS version would prove to be rather lucrative (and they did put a little salt on the price for GS1), what with the production cost being way lower and the relatively easy way of adapting the game (not that AA was made for small screens, but seeing as it's a graphic novel based more on text than "physical" interaction, it's much more easier to put on iOS than other DS titles, like Mario or Zelda), requiring less effort from Capcom.
I am playing GS1 for iPhone and aside from some minor bugs such as the music suddenly stopping and some slow frame-rate moments, it has been adapted perfectly and I would not mind at all downloading GS123 for iOS if it means not having to watch playthroughs on YouTube or buying a DS/3DS just for the sake of one game. If the iOS actually proves to be successful, I really don't see why GS5 shouldn't be made for that platform.

However, if we talk iOS, we're talking about a 2D game, which would conflict with...

- 3DS

A version for 3DS would cost a ton regarding production and translation services and, in Capcom's eyes, the profit is not 100% guaranteed, and we can take their stance over AAI-2 on America as proof. Putting the game on 3DS means having to make good use of all - or many of - the resources that a 3D game would offer, seeing as putting a 2D game on 3DS will lead to fans that do not own a 3DS asking why the game wasn't made for the DS too. Meaning: the game would be very different of what we are used to seeing.
Regarding the platform issue, most of the fans, as said above, were "DS fans" and will most likely stick with its "sucessor" rather than moving all the way to a whole new platform (and many of you have manifested dislike or uncaringness for Apple devices, which goes to show Capcom that not everyone wants to buy an iPhone/iPad just to play AA).

In conclusion, we have a rather complicated and delicate situation regarding GS5. For Capcom, the fate of the platform it will be on depends of external facts (iOS depends on the success of GS123; 3DS depends on profit). However, if I were to take a guess based on what we know about Capcom, I'd say 3DS.

As much as I'd like iOS.
Page 1 of 1 [ 40 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps