Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 2 of 3[ 119 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Is Edgeworth an atheist?Topic%20Title

Time for you to sleep.

.:looby:. wrote:
End Quote wrote:
I dont think many people would still be religious over 10 years when PW is supposed to take place, especially not a "man of science" like Edgeworth is.

Do you mean you think religion is just somehow going to slowly die out? 8|

Well, with the steady increase of Atheism in people, it's a possibility, definitely.

I see it as this: at the moment, IE and Firefox are the two main web browsers used. But, at the moment, Google Chrome is doing well and gaining users at a steady pace. It's still not one of the most widely-used browsers, but it's becoming more and more popular very steadily. Think of Atheism as Google Chrome and Christianity and, let's say, Judaism as IE and Firefox. Safari and Opera are Hinduism and Buddhism. They just are, don't question me. Islam is... the other one.

Personally, I agree with the agnostic theory, as it just fits well with his personality and as his occupation.
Parents: Chloe, CoffeeProsecutor Brothers: K_V_N, Auraion, OriginalBubs Son: Rarikou
Thanks to Midnight Jasper for the stuff.

"I'm End Quote." end quote.

Electroboy wrote:
End Quote wrote:
I dont think many people would still be religious over 10 years when PW is supposed to take place, especially not a "man of science" like Edgeworth is.

Well, with the steady increase of Atheism in people, it's a possibility, definitely.

I see it as this: at the moment, IE and Firefox are the two main web browsers used. But, at the moment, Google Chrome is doing well and gaining users at a steady pace. It's still not one of the most widely-used browsers, but it's becoming more and more popular very steadily. Think of Atheism as Google Chrome and Christianity and, let's say, Judaism as IE and Firefox. Safari and Opera are Hinduism and Buddhism. They just are, don't question me. Islam is... the other one.

Personally, I agree with the agnostic theory, as it just fits well with his personality and as his occupation.

So I'm a Buddist :will:
:keiko: WARNING: SIG CONTAINS LAME JOKE
ImageImage

Electroboy wrote:
End Quote wrote:

Yeah because after god knows how many years of religion, all of them will just randomly die out in 10 years. No offence guys but.... that's pretty ridic =/

ANYWAY. I couldn't give a shit what Edgey is, it wouldn't make me like him any more or any less :gant:
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

My son is bored. Care to play with him?

I tend to think that under von Karma's tutelage, he was an atheist. Now that he's been forced to acknowledge the existence of spirits, his position has probably softened to that of an agnostic. With time, he could reluctantly convert as CS Lewis did.

I'm torn between Manfred using "Atheism" to give Miles a sense of helplessness/hopelessness, or him using "Christianity" to give him a deep-rooted fear of Hell. It's easy to see Manfred as the Stereotypically Evil Atheist (SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST! THE WEAK DESERVE TO DIE!) or as the Stereotypically Evil Christian (FIRE! BRIMSTONE! FINAL JUDGMENT! WRATH OF GOD!), because both tropes are the embodiment of an egomaniac who has taken elitism to the highest extreme. I personally think it's good to avoid using these stereotypes in fiction because they are so overused, and they both carry some rather unfortunate implications.

I tend to think of Edgeworth as contently and firmly agnostic with no desire to convert to anything. Agnosticism is not a softer form of Atheism: it is a very specific philosophy that is all its own.

"I'm End Quote." end quote.

Kartoon Kween wrote:
I'm torn between Manfred using "Atheism" to give Miles a sense of helplessness/hopelessness, or him using "Christianity" to give him a deep-rooted fear of Hell. It's easy to see Manfred as the Stereotypically Evil Atheist (SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST! THE WEAK DESERVE TO DIE!) or as the Stereotypically Evil Christian (FIRE! BRIMSTONE! FINAL JUDGMENT! WRATH OF GOD!), because both tropes are the embodiment of an egomaniac who has taken elitism to the highest extreme. I personally think it's good to avoid using these stereotypes in fiction because they are so overused, and they both carry some rather unfortunate implications.

I tend to think of Edgeworth as contently and firmly agnostic with no desire to convert to anything. Agnosticism is not a softer form of Atheism: it is a very specific philosophy that is all its own.

That's an evil darwinist, not atheist...

NOOO, must resist temptation to do a religious debate on CR...
:keiko: WARNING: SIG CONTAINS LAME JOKE
ImageImage

End Quote wrote:
Kartoon Kween wrote:

That's an evil darwinist, not atheist...

NOOO, must resist temptation to do a religious debate on CR...

You're right about the evil Darwinist. The "Evil Christian" is probably a member of the Westboro Baptist Chruch. lol

Don't waste your time on a debate.

Reading through all of these, it's safe to say Edgeworth is probably an agnostic.
Clickie the sig to go to my sprites! (Updated 10-14-10!)Court Records - The Game!
Thanks to PandaPrinzessin for the signature!
Son to Meenyman and kaisap112! Plus, brother to Madame Sho and Dawn!

Darwinists and Atheists are typically lumped together. I was speaking in stereotypes.

Foolish Fool

Are people really trying to discover the religious beliefs of a fictional character??

To answer your question OP, I could care less.

Komikero

I believe the answer is "DUH".

Honestly, people.

I'm a professional comic artist and illustrator. Click on the above logo to visit my official website.

The way Edgeworth responded to the Lang Zi stuff made me think he might be an atheist, or at least not religious. His internal monologue said something like, "scrolls from thousands of years ago are too outdated to be useful as a guide to our lives today!" It was interesting to see Lang folding his hands and reciting Confucian-like proverbs while Edgeworth acted like he was above such silly things.

There was a point in T&T when Edgeworth corrected Larry after Larry joked that Dusky Bridge was "hell" by pointing out that some people consider the area sacred. I would hardly see that as an indication that he agreed with them, though.

Heat Guy J

I am a little bit confused by the way people are using the term "agnostic" to describe Edgeworth.

As far as I know, agnosticism is used to describe not knowing in the sense that it's impossible to know anything; there's an entire philosophy behind that. But then there's also agnosticism in the sense that you simply don't know; a lot of atheists match this definition. It's just a term that more accurately describes most atheists (which would mean that if you believe Edgeworth doesn't know if god exists or not, he would be an atheist). Most atheists don't know if god exists; they just choose not to believe because it's the default position held when you lack evidence for anything.

I don't actually know a lot of atheists who are 100% sure they know god doesn't exist. It would be a rather weird position to hold anyways.
Pauca sed matura.

Upon reading this thread I would like to point out a common misconception. Most people think Agnosticism is an exclusive position pertaining to a deity. This is not the case. Gnosticism and Agnosticism are positions of certainty. On the subject of a deity you could break it down into four categories:
Agnostic atheist=One who does not believe in a deity but doesn't claim to know certainty that there isn't one.
Gnostic atheist=One who does not believe in a deity and claims to know certainty that there isn't one.
Agnostic Theist=One who does believe in a deity but doesn't claim to know certainty that there is one.
Gnostic Theist=One who does believe in a deity and claims to know certainty that there is one.

Given Edgeworth's skepticism of the supernatural Agnostic atheist could be likely. :shoe:

The "miracle" never happen

Edgeworth might be atheist or might not. Whether you're rational or not, religion is another thing. If I saw something not contained in our default reality, I would be confused by it, regardless of religion. Say you're from a religion who believes in holy flying pigs, but you've never seen one. Will you believe it immediately if you do?
He may not believe that an old scroll is useful, but that has nothing to do with anything. It cuts a few popular religions from the list, but not the existence of a deity itself.

It's obvious from the start that Capcom never intended for the Ace Attorney series to get involved with religion. For one thing, Japan is a pretty secular society; and religion is something that's has almost never been touched upon in video games until recently. The closest thing to religion that has been explored throughout the series is the whole spirit channeling thing, but that's probably due to Japan's main religion being Shinto. As for a belief in God or gods, it's not so clear. Edgeworth has little belief in the supernatural, so the notion of gods could seem like a far fetched idea to him. If any of the characters do have a religion, it's never shown because it's not an integral part to the Ace Attorney storyline. Even still, I can likely imagine Edgeworth as one, or at the very least an agnostic.

Like most have said, religion has never been a topic that Ace Attorney has tackled, but I would think that he would probably be an atheist/agnostic based on his thoughts during T&T when you play as him. It's funny because I actually thought about this when I played through that particular case.

Yeah Capcom is definitely not interested in putting religion in the mix (you really wouldn't want to get a priest on the stand in these games!). The closest we come to it is obviously with Kurain Village but that's more of a cult/clan thing than a religion. And if Edgeworth were religious (which I highly doubt) then like his prosecutor badge I think he'd keep his cross or whatever hidden from view.

nah

gems_01 wrote:
The closest we come to it is obviously with Kurain Village but that's more of a cult/clan thing than a religion.

Actually, the Feys are VERY Japanese Buddhist, at least as far as people living in the modern day go. Magatamas are real things with a lot of religious significance in ancient Japanese spirituality, not to mention the rosaries many of them wear, the sutras written in various places around the Fey manor and the Hazakura temple (which itself is a traditional Buddhist temple), etc... I'll try not to go on about this, because there's a lot that can be said, but basically everything in the Kurain channeling school can be traced back to Japanese Buddhist (and, to a certain extent, Shinto) traditions.

As far as the topic of the thread goes, it's pretty natural that there aren't many references to religion in AA, because the games are written to take place in Japan, where religion is not a part of most people's daily lives. Any references would pretty much have to be added in localization. My impression of von Karma is that he was a very traditional and conservative person, so even if he didn't put much emphasis on religion, he probably brought up his children with Christian values. (If you assume that any given German character was brought up Protestant or Catholic, there's a very good chance you're right!) Whether or not those beliefs stuck with Edgeworth into his adulthood is up to debate, but regardless of what his beliefs are, I don't see him as much of a practicing member of any religion or lack thereof.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't an Athiest at the beginning of his career, although there's definitely no way to confirm it or not. While one can be both a man of science and believe in God, Edgeworth says something along the lines of "I don't believe in spiritual stuff" to Iris in 3-5, before later on realizing that he kind of did believe in it after using Phoenix's Magatama.

At the moment, I would say he probably can't really be put into any one category. While I don't think he specifically believes in any one religion, his experience with the Magatama seem to have at least opened him up to the possibility of a spiritual realm. At the moment, he's probably closer to Agnostic than anything else.

I kind of got the impression that after 3-5 he kind of just left his mind open to all possibilities, and wasn't willing to rule anything out.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

Racing through the sky like a Missile

He does have faith. Faith in SCIENCE.

That is all.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

That is all.

I get what you're trying to say, but don't put faith and science together. Science is based off the accumulation of actual facts and observation (i.e. things that can be proven). Religion is based off the unwavering belief in things that aren't backed up by facts. That's why it's called faith. As an atheist myself, I accept science because I UNDERSTAND it and realize that most if its claims can be backed by proven facts. Either way, I wouldn't lose sleep over the supposed religious affiliation of a fictional character. :jake:

The Real Human Being

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

That is all.

I get what you're trying to say, but don't put faith and science together. Science is based off the accumulation of actual facts and observation (i.e. things that can be proven). Religion is based off the unwavering belief in things that aren't backed up by facts. That's why it's called faith. As an atheist myself, I accept science because I UNDERSTAND it and realize that most if its claims can be backed by proven facts. Either way, I wouldn't lose sleep over the supposed religious affiliation of a fictional character. :jake:

They're real to me.
*hugs Maya pillow*

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

That is all.

:nick:

But they aren't just fictional characters. They're embodiments of people's dreams and inspirations. Take DoMaya for example.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

That is all.

:nick:

But they aren't just fictional characters. They're embodiments of people's dreams and inspirations. Take DoMaya for example.

:godot: I guess that's true. Fictional works can inspire people. This series has had a lot if influence on me. It's just that I don't really think it matters what the characters' religions are. Ace Attorney was meant to be about law, not religion.

Stepladders. Nuff' said.

As TopHatProfessor1014 mentioned, the main religion of Japan is Shinto, which consists of different gods and spirits. (the monotheism Christian belief however, is a minority in Japan, and Christianity is more common in the the Kyushu region if I remember correctly. Tokyo, aka the original setting for Gyakuten Saiban is in the Kanto region.) Now in this world nowadays, (most) people at least in 1st world/2nd world countries can pick their beliefs. But that is sort of side tracking from what I want to bring up. People are bringing up Edgeworth's skepticism in the channeling technique, although that doesn't mean he's an atheist or lacks belief in a deity. They refer to the channeling/spirit stuff as occult, which usually refers to none-religious ghosts and things like that. In a way, a spirit medium claiming they can channel ghosts is similar to those "Ghost Finder" shows, Ouija boards , and other things like that. Most people don't believe in that stuff, therefore does that make them atheists/agnostics? In the game itself, it is treated with much skepticism by people. Other than that really, there's no references within the games (to my observation) of Edgeworth's religious aspect. Just because he's a man of logic and believes in science, doesn't make him an atheist/agnostic either. Although a traumatic event like the DL-6 might make someone lose faith, there is no evidence of such faith, therefore that assumption can't be made. But anyhow, it doesn't really matter, Edgeworth is epic no matter what his religious beliefs are! :edgy:

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

Slow-moving thread, so this post is probably pointless, but I just wanted to expand on TheDraco4011's point. I saw a post mentioning Dawkins briefly, and I feel like people are unfairly labelling people like him as being unreasonably atheist or "new atheist" (whatever the hell that means). Pretty much all of them are agnostic atheists, and while there might be differences between the presentation of the beliefs of Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Sean Carroll, etc., the reality is that their actual beliefs on the current religions are probably pretty much the same. When they talk about religion, they tend to talk about flaws in the holy books or in concepts like divine purpose / intelligent design, but the purpose of that angle is pretty much to attack the gnostic religious beliefs of people, i.e. people who believe with certainty (and despite evidence to the contrary) in a whole bunch of the supernatural claims in a holy book. If you're trying to be an agnostic religious person, their criticisms shouldn't directly apply to you unless you hold gnostic beliefs. It's just food for thought. I feel like they're treated unfairly for doing something that's regularly done once every week by every pastor ever. Somehow, we're supposed to equate Richard Krauss with the weirdos who predict the end of the world, and that's what bugs me about this whole deal.

Anyway, I don't think that we can say anything at all about Edgeworth's religious beliefs. It's difficult to know what he believes at all, or whether it's gnostic or agnostic in nature. It seems he has an agnostic trust in the police force and in scientific evidence/logic, but that's about it. His ramblings in 1-2 about everybody being guilty are rather unclear when you think about it. Plus, as has been mentioned before, he's clearly seen Kurain channelling at work, or at least its obvious effects, yet still denounces it in 3-5. So... :yogi:

After the events he went through, nobody can say for certain if he's an atheist or not. But is highly probable that Edgey wouldn't practice religious rituals or try to contact the supernatural without a big reason for it. My personal judgment? He's an agnostic.

Surprisingly, even though most people in Japan are Shinto or Buddhist; they don't actually really believe in the whole concept of gods or spirits. Most people just participate in the gatherings or ceremonies out of tradition. I even remember reading an article where they interviewed the head priestess of a Shinto temple, and she didn't even believe in the religion.

I guess you could say the Japanese are mostly atheist, but still spiritual in some ways. A lot of people have said that without religion, we'd all be doomed; but countries like Japan and Sweden have proven otherwise. They actually have way LESS crime than places that are predominantly religious. Not saying there's a connection or anything. Just saying that you don't need religion to be good. :jake:

So yeah, most of the characters in AA would probably fit in this category if you took into consideration what most of the Japanese population believe in. Still, the Feys are basically devout Shintoists since spirit channeling DOES work in the world of Ace Attorney. Phoenix Wright probably has at least SOME belief in the supernatural. He's seen it himself. Edgeworth probably doesn't really know what to believe, so I'd probably at least call him agnostic. There's no reference to the Christian God in the series, so it's probably safe to assume that none of them are particularly devout Christians.

I play videogames.

Surprisingly, even though most people in Japan are Shinto or Buddhist; they don't actually really believe in the whole concept of gods or spirits. Most people just participate in the gatherings or ceremonies out of tradition. I even remember reading an article where they interviewed the head priestess of a Shinto temple, and she didn't even believe in the religion.

Very true. Both of my parents were born and raised in Japan, but neither of them believe in any form of a deity or anything spiritual for that matter. I'm an atheist myself. That being said, whenever my mom and I visit my grandparents in Japan, we always pay tribute to the family shrine (located in the house) as soon as we arrive to let our past relatives know we made the trip safely. We also visit the graves of relatives and sometimes even family friends to do the same thing. This is also done when visiting anybody else's house. Though, admittedly, my relatives live pretty far in the country-side so I don't know how it is in the city.
Image Image Image

Quote:
Very true. Both of my parents were born and raised in Japan, but neither of them believe in any form of a deity or anything spiritual for that matter. I'm an atheist myself. That being said, whenever my mom and I visit my grandparents in Japan, we always pay tribute to the family shrine (located in the house) as soon as we arrive to let our past relatives know we made the trip safely. We also visit the graves of relatives and sometimes even family friends to do the same thing. This is also done when visiting anybody else's house. Though, admittedly, my relatives live pretty far in the country-side so I don't know how it is in the city.

Wow, that's so cool! Are you Japanese yourself?

If you haven't guessed yet, I'm an atheist too. I don't believe in an afterlife nor anything supernatural. You really only have one shot at life, so we should all make the most of it. I really find it sad how atheists are sometimes treated in America and other parts of the world. We may not be the most hated group, but discrimination does happen and it's usually really bad.

I play videogames.

I am ethnically Japanese as both my parents are Japanese immigrants but I was born and have been raised in Canada. My first language is technically Japanese but obviously I am now more comfortable with English. My Japanese comprehension is fine but my speaking isn't nearly as fluid as it once was. So when I go to Japan, it's a little embarrassing when I have to speak to strangers. People, especially those that work in stores, will come up to me expecting me to be a native haha...

You really only have one shot at life, so we should all make the most of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I tell people when I have the chance. I don't really care if they believe in an afterlife or not, I just hope people try to live their lives to the fullest and enjoy as much as they can.
Image Image Image

SeanHK wrote:

I am ethnically Japanese as both my parents are Japanese immigrants but I was born and have been raised in Canada. My first language is technically Japanese but obviously I am now more comfortable with English. My Japanese comprehension is fine but my speaking isn't nearly as fluid as it once was. So when I go to Japan, it's a little embarrassing when I have to speak to strangers. People, especially those that work in stores, will come up to me expecting me to be a native haha...

You really only have one shot at life, so we should all make the most of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I tell people when I have the chance. I don't really care if they believe in an afterlife or not, I just hope people try to live their lives to the fullest and enjoy as much as they can.

Posts like these give me hope for society, especially after what I go through every morning.

It's so nice to meet someone who is Japanese; this coming from someone who is Chinese and is currently studying the language and culture on her own. I find it discouraging how racist my folks are toward the Japanese. They call me too young to understand, but I like this more accepting future that we seem to be heading toward.

...Uh-oh, major thread derail. Um, um... Can we all agree that this series avoids pious discussions like the flu, so we can't really say anything for certain?

I play videogames.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
It's so nice to meet someone who is Japanese; this coming from someone who is Chinese and is currently studying the language and culture on her own. I find it discouraging how racist my folks are toward the Japanese. They call me too young to understand, but I like this more accepting future that we seem to be heading toward.

...Uh-oh, major thread derail. Um, um... Can we all agree that this series avoids pious discussions like the flu, so we can't really say anything for certain?

Unfortunately, Chinese people are not thought of too highly in Japan. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love going either way right now. It's times like this when I feel very grateful towards my parents for giving me the opportunity to live in a very culturally-diverse country like Canada.

Let me save the day/thread here by bringing up a scene from Gyakuten Kenji 2. In Case 4, early on, Kay says to Edgeworth something along the lines of "Maybe it was a ghost..." to which he replies "Nonsense, something as unscientific as ghosts doesn't exist." I figured he was an atheist/agnostic, but this was kind of a confirmation of sorts for me.
Image Image Image

Last edited by SeanHK on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ace what-ever-my-ranking-is

SeanHK wrote:

Unfortunately, Chinese people are not thought of too highly in Japan, even from the young generation. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love going either way right now. It's times like this when I feel very grateful towards my parents for giving me the opportunity to live in a very culturally-diverse country like Canada. I live in the province of British Columbia, and we're known across the country for our very large Chinese population haha.

Let me save the day/thread here by bringing up a scene from Gyakuten Kenji 2. In Case 4, early on, Kay says to Edgeworth something along the lines of "Maybe it was a ghost..." to which he replies "Nonsense, something as unscientific as ghosts doesn't exist." I figured he was an atheist, but this was kind of a confirmation for me.

Many people don't believe in ghosts, doesn't mean they're atheist.

I play videogames.

MrAwesome wrote:
Many people don't believe in ghosts, doesn't mean they're atheist.

It's not so much the "ghost" thing but the fact that he doesn't accept things that aren't scientific.
Image Image Image

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but after replaying the first Ace Attorney game, I've noticed that there are references to spirituality in the game. The first being when Larry finds out that his girlfriend, Cindy Stone, has been cheating on him during Case 1, he states that he "hope to meet her in the afterlife" in order to get the bottom of why she was cheating on him. This proves that people in the Ace Attorney universe (other than spirit mediums) do believe in some sort of an afterlife, be it Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, The Summerland, Valhalla, etc. The other, more blatant example is when Redd White first takes the stand in Case 2, he threateningly tells Phoenix, "I hope you have made peace with God, Mr. Wright". The fact that he refers to God as a singular, proper named deity, not "the gods" or anything vague like that, seems to imply that there is some sort of a major religious belief in the Ace Attorney universe that exists outside of spirit mediums. In fact, in today's world, something as mystical as spirit channeling would most likely be referred to as 'witchcraft' or 'the occult' rather than a proper religion.

All this as to say, it's very possible that Edgeworth can still believe in God, but not believe in spirit channeling, the same way that Christians can believe in God but not believe in ghosts, fortune telling, mediums, etc. It's highly unlikely, but it's possible. Just wanted to post a few spiritual mentions that I found interesting.

TheIdioteque wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but after replaying the first Ace Attorney game, I've noticed that there are references to spirituality in the game. The first being when Larry finds out that his girlfriend, Cindy Stone, has been cheating on him during Case 1, he states that he "hope to meet her in the afterlife" in order to get the bottom of why she was cheating on him. This proves that people in the Ace Attorney universe (other than spirit mediums) do believe in some sort of an afterlife, be it Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, The Summerland, Valhalla, etc. The other, more blatant example is when Redd White first takes the stand in Case 2, he threateningly tells Phoenix, "I hope you have made peace with God, Mr. Wright". The fact that he refers to God as a singular, proper named deity, not "the gods" or anything vague like that, seems to imply that there is some sort of a major religious belief in the Ace Attorney universe that exists outside of spirit mediums. In fact, in today's world, something as mystical as spirit channeling would most likely be referred to as 'witchcraft' or 'the occult' rather than a proper religion.

All this as to say, it's very possible that Edgeworth can still believe in God, but not believe in spirit channeling, the same way that Christians can believe in God but not believe in ghosts, fortune telling, mediums, etc. It's highly unlikely, but it's possible. Just wanted to post a few spiritual mentions that I found interesting.

I've noticed that too, but it doesn't really prove anything. They're just minor passing references, nothing more. Plus, that's the American script. The original Japanese version could have possibly been a slight variation.

To an atheist all those things you've mentioned be them ghosts, goblins, or God are all equally irrational. But it still doesn't prove anything about a fictional character's religious beliefs. :jake:

TheIdioteque wrote:

I've noticed that too, but it doesn't really prove anything. They're just minor passing references, nothing more. Plus, that's the American script. The original Japanese version could have possibly been a slight variation.

To an atheist all those things you've mentioned be them ghosts, goblins, or God are all equally irrational. But it still doesn't prove anything about a fictional character's religious beliefs. :jake:

Very true. Perhaps I am over thinking it, it's just fun to discuss things like that I guess.

I picture him being an agnostic atheist. Not because that's what are my religious beliefs, really.

I can easily picture him being doubtful of humanity's religions, but not negating the fact there may exist "something" supernatural, yet beside humans' range.

...Although, if we take 3-5 into account, then it may make him more of an atheist.

Paul Sohn

Well, back to the topic.

The cause of Edgeworth's disbelief in spirutal power(at least in Feys) is mostly about his trauma in DL-6 case, as I think.
Fey clan couldn't reveal the true murderer of his father. So that would be natural reaction to him. :edgeworth:

Thus, we can't call Edgeworth an atheist just by that he doesn't trust Feys. Maybe he could be Christian, or ancient Greek mythology believer, or something else.
I'm Korean, I beg your apology for my horrible english grammer.
Page 2 of 3 [ 119 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby