Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club

Page 1 of 2[ 73 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

The Most Beautiful MusicTopic%20Title

Et tu, Brute?

Amongst all the teen pop sensations, hardcore, trance, Auto-tune music and rap- does anyone still listen to or *gasp* :cody-shock2: play the Classics?

I'm not talking about Bob Dylan, The Beatles or Frank Sinatra (though I enjoy listening to all of these), but rather- I speak of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Liszt, and Tchaikovsky. So...does anyone else love :nick-heart: Classical around here? Hopefully I'm not the only nerd 'round these parts.:payne:

In any case, whether you like it or not, I wish to share some of what I consider the most beautiful music ever created. Hopefully it will spark something within those 'too cool' for Classical.

Behold, my Top 10 List of Classical Music in no specific order, and subsequent reason(s) as to why they are nothing short of epic:

1) Moonlight Sonata- Beethoven. A mysterious song that pulls at the heartstrings.

2) Prelude Number 15 "Raindrop"- Chopin A piece that plays with the emotions: begins like gentle poetry and subtly changes into something darker...

3)Canon in D Major- Pachelbel The classic graduation song is classic for a reason. :larry:

4)Air on a G String- Bach Peaceful and reflective.

5)Sheep May Safely Graze- Bach Even more peaceful and reflective.

6)Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2- Chopin The 'poet of the piano' at his best...also functions as effective romantic date music. :oops: :ayame:

7) Greensleeves- English folk, author unknown A majestic, yet gentle piece. This one really makes you think...(if you're inclined to philosophize that is).

8) Voices of Spring Waltz- Strauss One of the more upbeat selections on this list. :redd:

9) Sonata No. 8 "Pathetique" 3rd Movement. Another Beethoven, this time a lot more technically magical and a lot less emotionally so.

10) Requiem- Mozart. Note: the link provided is a "Best of" Mozart's Requiem Mass, which in full, is over an hour long. If you really wish to experience true beauty- put some time aside, put on some decent quality headphones, lock yourself up in your room and listen to the whole thing.:acro:
Re: Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart?Topic%20Title

The Trusty Nudal!

Hahah, I love all of these guys :) They need more love :D

Chopin is my favourite. His music is similar to the music I compose - Like him, I a very emotional pianist.

Also, I played the Raindrop Prelude my Provincial competitions last year. Noticed it was on your list.

Last edited by nudalman on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: The Most Beautiful MusicTopic%20Title

:)

Does opera and classically trained singers such as Pavarotti, Sarah Brightman and Richard White count or are you just counting composers?

The orchestra soundtracks for the Ace Attorney music was simply superb. I love Chopin and Mozart.

Moonlight Sontana by Beethoven makes love to my ears.

This is SO HARD. I can't decided which song I think is the most beautiful...

Arabesque #1 by Debussy is pretty nice <3

I also love Arisawa Takanori, who did the background music for Sailor Moon. He did some absolutely GORGEOUS orchestral pieces for that show. He also did a lot of jazz/big band pieces as well.

Et tu, Brute?

@ Chloe: Yes, I guess Classically trained and opera vocalists would count, seeing as many composers have written pieces specifically designed for vocal accompaniment- the above mentioned Mozart's Requiem is a prime example.

More recent? I too am a fan of Pavarotti, but my favourite would have to be Andrea Bocelli.

And yes, the orchestral soundtrack for Ace Attorney is nothing short of breathtaking. :cody-shock2:

@ nekonohime: Debussy and Chopin are who I listen to while taking my evening strolls around the neighbourhood. :redd: Very calming, yet intricate music.

The Magatama of Truth!

Chloe wrote:
The orchestra soundtracks for the Ace Attorney music was simply superb. I love Chopin and Mozart.

Me too! The Orchestral AA music is some of my favourite! I also love Chopin! My favourite is his Fantasie Impromptu ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0Z6g1XJkU (hope link works!) It is so pretty, I always listen to it while doing homework.
Signature thanks to the brilliant SnowWright (thank you so much!)

TAkE YouR hEaRT

I love classical music <3
Antonio Vivaldi, Edvard Grieg, Johannes Brahms and Erik Satie were great composers as well~

I guess everyone is familiar with "The Four Seasons" by Vivaldi, right? "Winter" was always my favorite part of the composition.

Edvard Grieg's "In The Hall of the Mountain King" is pretty much one of the most famous pieces of classical music too which doesn't change the fact that the song's still awesome.

Same goes for Johannes Brahms and "The Hungarian Dance No. 5" as well as for Erik Satie's "Gymnopedie No.1 ".

and I freakin' love that song: Danse Macabre by Camille Saint-Saëns

-------------------
Just curious but what's your opinion about modern classic and such artists as Ólafur Arnalds, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Hans Zimmer etc. ? Do you think it's total crap and even shouldn't be labeled as something like classic or are you totally fine with it?

Thanks to the fangame Turnabout Substitution I now love Maurice Ravel. Especially his piece Daphnis et Chloé.

One of my favorite composers at the moment is Giles Leveille. He's done various stuff but I first heard of him while playing Bugs Bunny and Taz time busters on Playstation.

http://www.gillesleveille.com/
the site is in French but there is an english option.

This is my favorite song from him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2BHCRTkEsw

For singers I like Aled Jones, Charlotte Church, Rhydian Roberts, Sarah Brightman, Richard White, Tarja Tururen, Pavarotti, Paul Potts and The Priests. There's a whole lot more I like too. I love the classical genre because it's both raw, powerful and full of emotion.

Et tu, Brute?

I recently had the pleasure of hearing comptine d'un autre été, a stunningly beautiful piece. It's written and composed by Yann Tiersen, a relatively modern classically-trained musician.

It's written in a unique minimalist-classical style reminiscent of Chopin...and it will please. :redd:

Anything by Strauss and i'm there.
Nothing.

The Magatama of Truth!

antonis wrote:
Anything by Strauss and i'm there.

Me too! I love "Tales from Vienna Woods" most of all, due to it being in Roller Coaster Tycoon.
Signature thanks to the brilliant SnowWright (thank you so much!)

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

nekonohime wrote:
Thanks to the fangame Turnabout Substitution I now love Maurice Ravel. Especially his piece Daphnis et Chloé.

Ah, I love Ravel~ Sibelius and Fauré are lovely too- I'm currently playing Sicilienne in my flute lessons and it's beautiful.

My favourite classical music has to be Tchaikovsky's ballet music- the Nutcracker and Swan Lake suites especially although (on an unrelated note) I do enjoy Gossec too, particularly Tambourin, which I'm also playing.

As for more modern composers, I quite like John Higgins and John Rutter- Celtic Ritual and Pie Jesu being my favourites from those two~

Ahah, I swear I'm not actually as big a classical nerd as I sound- but when you play the flute, most of what you play does tend to end up being classical XD
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

In Justice We Trust

Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Musorgsky, Cui, Glinka, Wagner, Dvořák, Elgar... and those are just out of my absolute favorites.

Out of the various styles, Eastern European Romanticism has most of my favorite works (mostly operas, symphonies, and other works that call for a large orchestra and/or chorus).
I'll always love you, Max.

Et tu, Brute?

I have noticed that many of you have an interest in Eastern European classical composers (Tchaikovsky, et al.) Interestingly, no one has brought up one of my favourite's; Rachmaninoff.

Here is perhaps his most famous piece: Prelude Opus 23. No. 5

Now for some Western influence...Having recently had the honour of hearing an orchestral symphonic performance of Beethoven's 7th, I would like to add to my list of 'music utterly inspired by the gods': :acro:

1) Beethoven's 5th Symphony: It is classic for a reason. It's power can only be compared to Mozart's Requiem in terms of the grandness of scale.

2)Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd Movement: Glorious, majestic, magnanimous. Whenever I hear it, I picture a Royal Coronation.

3) Beethoven's 9th Symphony: The height of Beethoven. One of the most complex symphonic orchestrated pieces ever attempted.

Elegant Brute wrote:
2)Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd Movement: Glorious, majestic, magnanimous. Whenever I hear it, I picture a Royal Coronation.

That is one gorgeous piece...
I play some classical music on the piano, and rather enjoy it. And, if it counts, I love the movie Amadeus...
I know it's not one of the great classics, but this song in the movie "Les Choristes" is absolutely beautiful: La Nuit
It always gives me shivers... I hope it's okay that I posted it here...?

Et tu, Brute?

Any beautiful piece written or performed (instrumentally or vocally) in the Classical style is welcome here. It need not necessarily be a Classic. In fact, that is why I had earlier shared a piece composed by the modern though classically trained pianist Yann Tiersen.

As well, I'm glad that you brought up "La Nuit." If you, or anyone else, is further interested in Choral music along similar lines, here is a list of my favourite Classical composers of Choral polyphony.

Disclaimer: Most (scratch that, all) of the music composed by the list below has explicit religious overtones (albeit in Latin :gant: ), due to the time and place in which these composers lived and practiced. Most were hired and paid by the Vatican and its subsidiaries.

That being said- I urge you to listen to it from a solely and objectively musical perspective . You will find that Choral polyphony is some of the most beautiful music ever created:

1) Antoine Brumel
2) Giovanni Palestrina
3) John Dunstable
4) Pierre de la Rue

You may also find the Choir of the Philharmonic Academy of Rome to suit your tastes (though they have a tendency to mix modern styles with classical polyphony).

Final note: Amadeus is a great movie (though I like to imagine Mozart as much more refined :grossburg: when I listen to his music).

Elegant Brute wrote:
1) Antoine Brumel
2) Giovanni Palestrina
3) John Dunstable
4) Pierre de la Rue

I really like choirs... There all beautiful pieces. There something about choirs and medieval music, it sounds so simple and yet so complex (although I probably shouldn't be saying this, I'm no expert...)

Et tu, Brute?

I wholeheartedly agree. There is no denying of the ability of Choral to elevate the human condition and calm all nerves (evidently, it has helped me go to sleep on more than one occasion before). I often listen to it after a long day. My iPod (holding nearly as much Choral as Classical) can attest to that. :redd:

Most of the great Choral polyphonic composers played during the Renaissance time period, though some lesser known music was composed in the Late Medieval Ages.

At this time, Guillaume de Machaut is often cited as the progenitor of polyphony. Tell me his Messe de Notre Dame doesn't move you to tears. :acro:

Prior to that, choral music in the Western tradition was monophonic. The vast majority of it was composed in the form of Gregorian Chant. Provided is an example of a common monophonic Gregorian Chant hymn sung during the peak of the Middle Ages.

Note that it is incredibly difficult to find Gregorian chant which has not been altered, at least in the slightest, by modern rendition. Regardless, it's still beautiful.

I like Paul Potts version Of Nessun Dorma

I haven't got any of his albums yet but I'm saving.

Paul Potts and Natasha Marsh singing "Brindisi" from Verdi's La Traviata This is a nice live performance too.

Box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
aaaaaand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un25REtpyp4

Et tu, Brute?

I recently stumbled upon some magnanimous contemporary music produced by Audiomachine that mixes classically influenced Latin Choir with modern sythesizer technology and instrumental for results of an unbelievably grand scale. Likewise, Immediate Music also offers a great selection of such inspired pieces.

Here are my favourites so far :redd: :

Audiomachine:

1)Reaching
2)Lost Raiders
3)Kingdom of Heaven
4)Akkadian Empire

Immediate Music:
Best of Immediate Music Epic Latin Choir

Bam! Wait. That's a fish?!

... I've fallen in love with:

Holst's First Suite in Eb for Military Band
Handel's Zadok the Priest

And this: Requiem for a Dream - Lux Aterna

:>
[Signature in construction until I make a new one]
I'm back, mate! Still lurking like a ninja but whatevs :3

Psychotic Musician

My favorites are Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky and Mozart.
We used Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for our marching band show last year. It's so beautiful. I love it.

Signature done by Panda Prinzessin :)

In Justice We Trust

trumpetchick wrote:
We used Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for our marching band show last year. It's so beautiful. I love it.

How does one march to Moonlight Sonata!?

Psychotic Musician

General Luigi wrote:
How does one march to Moonlight Sonata!?

Spoiler: Marching band!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wZ60kSop7k&feature=related

Should start at around 6:05. It starts out with the flute duet, where we're just sort of kneeling/standing/whatever there. Ha ha ha.
I think we also used it for the intro and outro of the show. Sorry if I got it wrong, I'm tired. :edgy:

Signature done by Panda Prinzessin :)

In Justice We Trust

Maybe I just don't remember that part, but I'm pretty sure that's not Moonlight Sonata.

I'm bad at puzzle solving..

For me, I really like Gymnopedie No.1. I also like Raindrop Predule and Clair de Lune for piano. Oh, and you can't forget the theme tune for Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence or the live version.

Because I like spreading music around, I also quite like Howl's Moving Castle theme. Beautiful. :pearl:
Professor Layton & The Lost Future. Best game ever.

I live everywhere and nowhere, usually as Kumori. My YouTube is 'WoodULikeSumCatFood', shamelessly ripped from a friend of mine.

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

I would link to Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" but I'm too lazy right now. All of Carmina Burana's good, but O Fortuna stands out.

Eh, screw it, here it is.

I've always found Mozart's Requiem as my favourite piece ever. Partly because Dies Irae is one of the most epic bits of music ever composed, partly because of the deep influence it all had in the Death Note soundtrack... and the rest, because it's simply mindblowing. Here's the COMPLETE Requiem if anyone's got 53 and a half minutes to spare.

Aside from that masterpiece, I tend to accept any composition that's thrown my way, as long as it's classical. I really don't remember any specific highlights right now aside from those I mentioned.

A Post for Classical Music?!!! :will:
One really beautiful piece that stands out of my mind is from Prokofiev (my favorite 20th century composer) called "Field of Death" from the Alexander Nevsky Cantata.
/watch?v=vC_qyMIqb-s
It's Absolutely heart breaking and gorgeous.
Shostakovich's string quartets are beautiful in their own dark ways.
For composers who do this sort of thing a lot, you can't go wrong with the French
Debussy - Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
/watch?v=9_7loz-HWUM
Ravel - Jeux D'eau (water games)
/watch?v=J_36x1_LKgg
Georges Bizet - Carmen, Habanera (Maria Callas is the best!)
/watch?v=6fZRssq7UlM

Ace Sidekick!

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoEMaWrQBQM

I always play this music when I'm sad, it has touched my heart.

I always loved Moonlight Sonata. Years ago, I had a classical kick and my mother got me a Mozart CD... I don't think I ever really listened to it...

I know this doesn't count as Classic music, but Uncle Kracher's "Follow Me" is my ultimate feel-good song. I actually don't think it can be really called a proper Love Song, but it just makes me feel good. (Same with Meatloaf's "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" it's a total Anti-Love Song, but it is one I love listening to)

C-A

I've felt worse.

Hikari Kingdom Orchestra from the Kingdom Hearts series. Yes, that's what it's called.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

[Whip the cream!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuruNEovKRE The moresca from Montiverdi's Orpheus, I love this immensely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezMJ5U9L8V4&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ&index=7 Quid Agis Cor Meum sung by Radu Marian. His voice is just... woah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBNwORdR9E&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ Le postillon de Longjumeau by Adolphe Adam - Beautiful and makes me happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1U8hyGb9LI&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ Fin'chan dal vino by Mozart - I love short, intense arias.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UU6zDrQk_w&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ Alles fühlt der Liebe freuden by Mozart - the same reason as above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LX5MMctkk&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ Che farò senza Euridice by Glück.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9EN27Zh_vg Jesu bleibet meine Freude by Bach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI Beethoven's ninth symphony is just... ahh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWnE3jqW8Wg&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ&index=4 The moresca from Romeo and Juliet 1968, I don't know who wrote it, sadly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSieYGN8mE&list=PLMP80iQyyJA2Ue5fEI_6tt0mGWkM6bLhQ&index=11 Come per me sereno... Sovra il sen by Bellini
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The King of All

I like my Bachs and Beethovens, but this is the most beautiful symphony I've ever heard in my life :acro: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
The king of all, Sir Duke

[Whip the cream!]

Deadpool 9 wrote:
I like my Bachs and Beethovens, but this is the most beautiful symphony I've ever heard in my life :acro: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I'm laughing so hard, that was not what I expected, and since I'm borrowing my mom's really old and slow computer (visiting the family) there was some delay-thingie and the music kept on running long after I closed the window... :redd:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The King of All

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

I'm laughing so hard, that was not what I expected, and since I'm borrowing my mom's really old and slow computer (visiting the family) there was some delay-thingie and the music kept on running long after I closed the window... :redd:

Thanks LOL, I'm surprised no one else thought of it :godot:
The king of all, Sir Duke

The Chocolateholic of CR

Sneaky Snitch

Used in many of VanossGaming Videos. Used in a video by Omnistrife, the Creator of Fun With Akatsuki..... speaking of which..... *checks* STILL NO EPISODE 3! :larry:

*ahem*
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

Let it go and move it move it

Deadpool 9 wrote:

Who would have thought, that's my favourite as well. Such tear-jerking music. :acro:

I love listening to the classical channel on the radio, but I can never remember the names of the pieces I like. :/
Within Temptation

One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard is After Hours from Phoenix vs Layton.
Page 1 of 2 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club