Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 3[ 102 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GS5 Western Release Named - Phoenix Wright: Dual DestiniesTopic%20Title

Just got this in my inbox from Capcom:

Capcom wrote:
HOLD IT! CAPCOM CONFIRMS DETAILS OF PHOENIX WRIGHT™: ACE ATTORNEY™ -DUAL DESTINIES RELEASE IN THE WEST

Courtroom Hero Phoenix Wright Returns this Autumn
London, UK. — May 13, 2013 — Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today confirmed that Phoenix Wright™: Ace Attorney™ - Dual Destinies will be available to purchase digitally on Nintendo 3DS™ across Europe and North America in Autumn 2013.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, previously announced for the West as Ace Attorney™ 5, sees the return of courtroom hero Phoenix Wright. Set eight years since his last appearance in the courts, the first case in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies sees the action start in a destroyed court room. It’s down to Phoenix Wright and his team at the Wright Anything Agency to discover the cause of the destruction. Players will have to battle it out in court against Gaspen Payne, the younger brother of Winston Payne from previous Ace Attorney titles, as they defend the accused.

The much loved gameplay and features from previous titles in the Ace Attorney™ series return but for the first time in stunning 3D graphics, bringing the courtroom and characters to life and putting players directly in the heart of the action. Players will need to investigate each crime scene with the dynamic 3D visuals now making it possible to change views and zoom in on areas to uncover any hidden evidence or clues. In the court room the drama continues as players present their evidence, challenge witnesses and begin to unravel the truth behind each of the cases in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Dual Destinies.

Joining Phoenix is the young Attorney Apollo Justice and new Associate Attorney Athena Cykes. Athena’s unique ability to psychoanalyse witnesses introduces a brand new element to proceedings. Using Athena’s ‘Mood Matrix’ players can detect the emotional state of a witness and tell whether they’re surprised, angry, happy or sad. Players can compare these feelings with the statement given by the witness, point out any contradictions between the two and challenge the witness testimony.

Looks like Kokone is named Athena Cykes, we also have the names Gaspen Payne and Juniper Woods.

Announcement trailer (with Phoenix' new "Objection!"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAPlAzB38uU

Screens:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Jay Mysterio on Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: GS5 Western Release Named - Phoenix Wright: Dual DestiniTopic%20Title

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Oooh Dual Destinies IMPLIES STUFF!
Also, Athena Cykes... hmmm. I'm not sure what they're trying to go for here.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Athena and Apollo are both names of Greek gods... wonder if they're implying some kind of connection between the two?

Fate Testarossa

They... They changed the font! :o

Also, Athena? (I personally prefer Kokone, but whatevs...)

Fate is made by クロス

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

THIS FALL!?

...Only digitally?

WHATEVER, I'M TOO HYPED TOO CARE OH GOD IT'S HAPPENINGO FAST

*front page'd*

Programmer

I think I prefer Kokone too. First exposure bias? Probably. But the name Athena doesn't fit.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Ehh digital only. Well I guess I can't complain since printing carts costs more, whatevs. New VA for Phoenix sounds so much better than the one they used for Mahvel.

If they're goin for a connection between her and AJ I s'pose it's better than something like Aphrodite or Venus.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Well, I don't have any problems with "digital download only", but I know there are people who have problems with it (especially how Nintendo handles it). So I fear for bad sales numbers because of this.

Digital only release confirmed by Capcom's Community manager on twitter:

Blah!

The forums are slowing down... we're discussing the news in the IRC channel. Click here or use the information below in an IRC client.

irc.dynastynet.net
#courtrecords

元・超会社員級の管理人

Wasn't expecting news before E3, nevermind a release this year!

Shame about digital-only; guess that cements me getting a physical copy of GS5.

I'm liking the new names, actually. Not so hot on Phoenix's "OBJECTION!" though.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

The "miracle" never happen

Although I'd prefer it to be released in retail too, digital-only isn't, in my opinion, something evil that will kill the game like people on Youtube seem to think.
I don't mind the names, but I think I will miss Phoenix's old voice. He sounds like a dude-bro now.

A Trustworthy Witness

Sweet! That's a much earlier release date than I thought it would be! I'm guessing the fact that it's digital release only sped up the release date quicker. Maybe the same thing could apply for a future release of GK2?

Loving the localized names so far. Athena Cykes sounds like a combination of "psyche" for the last name and a greek god for the first name. Maybe hinting a connection with Apollo? Juniper Woods sounds like a fairly obvious pun. And Gaspen Payne is officially my new favorite name. Seriously, I can't wait to see him in action.

All in all, I'm psyched! I just bought a 3DS too, so Autumn can't come soon enough!

I've felt worse.

Autumn 2013? Whoooooooooooooooooop!

So the new girl's name is Athena Cykes? Wait....
Weren't Apollo and Athena brother and sister WTF was I thinking Athena Apollo's mother in Greek Mythology?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Last edited by tiger_festival on Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athena Internet Defense Force

I think I'm going to buy a physical copy of Gyakuten Saiban 5 LE.

$160 but...eh, here we go.

Clarification about the reasons for digital only release, via Joystiq:

Joystiq wrote:
Update: We asked Capcom why Dual Destinies will only be available digitally and a representative provided the following statement:
"Historically it's been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles. With the release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies we wanted as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game for as long as possible. With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop.
We understand that this decision may upset fans who wanted to have a physical version of the title to add to their collection but we believe this direction is the best to take to ensure that fans are able to enjoy the game at their own leisure.
We will be confirming details on the price point soon so please stay tuned for more information on the latest in the Ace Attorney series."

Jay Mysterio wrote:
Clarification about the reasons for digital only release, via Joystiq:

Joystiq wrote:
"Historically it's been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles.

"Initial sales of the game in the United States exceeded Capcom's expectations, as total online orders through Capcom's store were more than double their presale estimations."

Okay.

Gettin' Old!

Whooooop some interesting news.

Firstly....Gaspen....Gasp in pain that's just sheer brilliance I was really wondering where they'd go with Payne's brothers name.

Secondly....Cykes as in Psyches to deal with how she analyses people's psyche.

Thirdly.....Wow that's sooner than I expected, and digital only? Hmm guess that means no sharing it around my friends or getting it cheap elsewhere...I see why Capcom have done this. The lack of a physical copy doesn't bother me, the memory space and fact it is on a place where it will almost ALWAYS be full price does.

Fourthly....Dual Destinies is cheesier than I expected.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Master of sharp things!

I'm not all too crazy about the digital-only aspect here. Not just for the preference I have for physical copies, but also because this could potentially limit sales for the series further. At least with physical copies you have brand exposure in stores, new and used copies on the shelves for people to see. Unless they market the hell out of it and really push the game I'm afraid it'll just become lost in the rather poorly organized mess that has become the 3DS eShop. Honestly, they should have at least done a small physical run in addition to the digital release, to appease the fans and help expose the brand more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting the game so soon, I just wish Capcom would have more faith in its fanbase. And this also gives them no excuse in not bringing over AAI2.

As for the character names, I quite like Athena Cykes for Kokone, it fits well with her ability to see the false emotions emitted by the witnesses. Gaspen Payne fits well with the theme naming with his brother, too. As for Juniper Woods... well, the pun speaks for itself.

Pierre wrote:

Yeah, a million times this. I was hoping they would just stick with calling it Ace Attorney 5, it gets confusing naming it after the protagonist (especially now there is more than one) then 'Ace Attorney' then a subtitle.

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
I'm not all too crazy about the digital-only aspect here. Not just for the preference I have for physical copies, but also because this could potentially limit sales for the series further. At least with physical copies you have brand exposure in stores, new and used copies on the shelves for people to see. Unless they market the hell out of it and really push the game I'm afraid it'll just become lost in the rather poorly organized mess that has become the 3DS eShop. Honestly, they should have at least done a small physical run in addition to the digital release, to appease the fans and help expose the brand more.

I'm hoping that the new European e-capcom will maybe stock some kind of limited edition with a physical copy. Would be at a premium price, but they had the RE6 Leon's Jacket Edition for some crazy amount of money so it's not totally outwith the realms of possibility...

Failing that, GS5 LE from Japan and then a digital version of PW:AA-DD to actually play.

Gettin' Old!

Sad Realisation:

No physical copy....no sick limited edition with a statue of Phoenix.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Jay Mysterio wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yeah, a million times this. I was hoping they would just stick with calling it Ace Attorney 5, it gets confusing naming it after the protagonist (especially now there is more than one) then 'Ace Attorney' then a subtitle.

This, even the Fast and the Furious series learned by now.

Not too big on the digital only aspect either, my 3DS doesn't have a lot of memory space left and I just deleted some crap games to make more room.

Still, just a few months away whooooooooooooooooooooooooop

THERE'S A DUCKTALES REMAKE COMING OUT SOON HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS

Blah!

I just realized something. They named the game Dual Destinies... but isn't Athena supposed to defend by herself at some point? Or did I mishear something?

In any case, the title suggests that Phoenix and Apollo are the primary characters, even though Athena is playable (IIRC).

EDIT: Whoops, somehow mixed things up in my mind from all the announcements recently. Ignore meeeeee :ron-jazz:

Story writer and music lover.

First, I don't mind digital-only, but I can see why other people would. For me, though, at least it is certain that the game is coming overseas.

Second, I had a strange feeling we'd get a close release date from the initial announcement. Looks like I was right.

Third, I quite like the name Gaspen. Also, I don't mind the name Athena Cykes.

Fourth, I'm going to miss Phoenix's old "Objection" voice.

Finally, I really can't wait for the fall.
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)

The Cartoonist Extraordinaire!

I like the new names, and Phoenix's new voice suits him very well! Kinda awkward, but brave when he needs to be!
Ciao.

The Real Human Being

So... Fall decides my fate.

I hope Maya is in it.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

My feelings about this are a little complicated, but still very positive.

Autumn/Fall 2013? That is AWESOME! I never in a million year would have thought we were getting it that quickly. My earliest estimate would have been Feb. 2014 and I was assuming 2014 would have been when we'd get it. This is great news.

Regarding the Title: While I approve of Phoenix being the character-in-the-title and the dropping of 5, I'm not all that crazy about dual destinies. Usually the subtitles are law related, but I can't think of how this factors into the plot unless there's some kind of twist in the game we're not aware of. (I know it's probably based on the fact that Apollo is in it as well, but Dual Destinies still doesn't sound like the subtitle to an AA game. It sounds more like a science-fiction story, to be honest, as if there are multiple destinies or something. But on the other hand, I couldn't think of anything better, so the name is a small thing for me.

Regarding the character's names, great as always.

About the digital release, I'm a little bummed that there's no cartridge but it doesn't bother me that much on a personal, "will I enjoy this". I used to be a only-buy-the-disc guy, but now that I'm used to services like Steam it doesn't bug me too much. From a business standpoint, though, this worries me. If Capcom was worried about making the series popular again, how will an eShop title do this? I've never seen advertisements for eShop games and there's a "casual game" stereotype about them similar to the mobile game market. The decision might be an indication that Capcom is not going to go all out to drum up sales, and that might mean PW:AA-DD is the franchise's last hurrah in the American Market. This decision might be why PLvsAA wasn't announced for the U.S. I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the franchise's future more now then I was before.

On the other hand, if by some miracle this is super successful (or that Capcom decided that the series can make money and still be a cult game by eliminating manufacturing costs) then we might get GS6,7,etc. and even AAI2 in this form.

Overall, while the digital release makes me worry a bit, everything else is super exciting and it's awesome we're getting the game this year.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

I'm disappointed that it's only going to be digital, but at least we're going to get it in the first place. Hopefully it'll be cheaper too. By the time this comes out, I hope to have a 3DS.

FINE

A shame that it's going to be digital only, but hey, it's better than no game at all.

I will have to get this on day 1 to avoid spoilers.

The voice, its just not good in my opinion. It doesn't have the same energy that his old voice had.

ADA McCoy wrote:

Autumn/Fall 2013? That is AWESOME! I never in a million year would have thought we were getting it that quickly. My earliest estimate would have been Feb. 2014 and I was assuming 2014 would have been when we'd get it. This is great news.

Regarding the Title: While I approve of Phoenix being the character-in-the-title and the dropping of 5, I'm not all that crazy about dual destinies. Usually the subtitles are law related, but I can't think of how this factors into the plot unless there's some kind of twist in the game we're not aware of. (I know it's probably based on the fact that Apollo is in it as well, but Dual Destinies still doesn't sound like the subtitle to an AA game. It sounds more like a science-fiction story, to be honest, as if there are multiple destinies or something. But on the other hand, I couldn't think of anything better, so the name is a small thing for me.

About the digital release, I'm a little bummed that there's no cartridge but it doesn't bother me that much on a personal, "will I enjoy this". I used to be a only-buy-the-disc guy, but now that I'm used to services like Steam it doesn't bug me too much. From a business standpoint, though, this worries me. If Capcom was worried about making the series popular again, how will an eShop title do this? I've never seen advertisements for eShop games and there's a "casual game" stereotype about them similar to the mobile game market. The decision might be an indication that Capcom is not going to go all out to drum up sales, and that might mean PW:AA-DD is the franchise's last hurrah in the American Market. This decision might be why PLvsAA wasn't announced for the U.S. I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the franchise's future more now then I was before.

On the other hand, if by some miracle this is super successful (or that Capcom decided that the series can make money and still be a cult game by eliminating manufacturing costs) then we might get GS6,7,etc. and even AAI2 in this form.

Overall, while the digital release makes me worry a bit, everything else is super exciting and it's awesome we're getting the game this year.

Well if the series gets does cancelled here, at least you can say that it had a good run. Six, fully translated, officially released visual novels outside of Japan is nothing short of a remarkable feat. Ace Attorney practically re-introduced a whole new genre for westerners, and because of this series; we also have Professor Layton, 999, Hotel Dusk, etc. So yeah, I'd be disappointed if Capcom stopped localizing the games, but I couldn't be happier with the experiences I had with this series while it was in its prime. Which reminds me, I really should start learning how to read Japanese soon. :godot:

Last edited by TopHatProfessor1014 on Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zpattack12 wrote:
The voice, its just not good in my opinion. It doesn't have the same energy that his old voice had.

I'm personally wondering how they're going to handle Phoenix's voice if PL vs AA ever gets released here. The Japanese cast for that game is basically perfection. :will:

Blah!

Hmm, I wonder if Capcom will put this game in a Nintendo Direct. I wouldn't count on it, but they'd probably attract a significant amount of attention that way. Even if it was just one of the short 30 second-or-so announcements.

ADA: maybe you haven't seen advertisements about eShop because you disabled notifications from eShop? I've gotten several of them for particular eShop games, exclusive or not. Not all of them were first party titles either (and the notifications themselves are infrequent), although I doubt Ace Attorney would be advertised this way.

e-Shop isn't all about casual games, but I can see why you may feel that vibe about it. It certainly was like that in the beginning, but they're pushing retail+digital cross-releases and not casual games (like most of Guild01) now.

For sure, the digital release process is cheaper than retail. As long as the lack of retail isn't too detrimental, I can see this being a successful release. Who knows, if some people don't boycott this game out of some misguided sense of justice against the choice of digital-only (those who legitimately can't download the game excluded), the next game could come out retail again.

You know, couldn't Capcom just make fewer physical copies or perhaps just make a collectors edition? They'd still make a profit, plus with digital sales.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

Well if the series gets does cancelled here, at least you can say that it had a good run. Six, fully translated, officially released visual novels outside of Japan is nothing short of a remarkable feat. Ace Attorney practically re-introduced a whole new genre for westerners, and because of this series; we also have Professor Layton, 999, Hotel Dusk, etc. So yeah, I'd be disappointed if Capcom stopped localizing the games, but I couldn't be happier with the experiences I had with this series while it was in its prime. Which reminds me, I really should start learning how to read Japanese soon. :godot:

I agree completely. Not only that, but it's so far been the only game series to successfully make the legal system addictively fun. And it seems like PW:AA-DD is pulling out all the stops gameplay, technology, and story-wise, so if this is the last game we get at least it's going to be a great one.

blahmoomoo wrote:
ADA: maybe you haven't seen advertisements about eShop because you disabled notifications from eShop? I've gotten several of them for particular eShop games, exclusive or not. Not all of them were first party titles either (and the notifications themselves are infrequent), although I doubt Ace Attorney would be advertised this way.

e-Shop isn't all about casual games, but I can see why you may feel that vibe about it. It certainly was like that in the beginning, but they're pushing retail+digital cross-releases and not casual games (like most of Guild01) now.

For sure, the digital release process is cheaper than retail. As long as the lack of retail isn't too detrimental, I can see this being a successful release. Who knows, if some people don't boycott this game out of some misguided sense of justice against the choice of digital-only (those who legitimately can't download the game excluded), the next game could come out retail again.

You're right, I am almost never online with my 3DS and turn all notifications off. That's great if they send notifications out about games like that.

I don't personally believe that about the eShop (I've bought a lot of stuff off of it) but I do think that's a common feeling people have about it. Hopefully that can change.

People who don't buy it because of the digital aspect worry me a bit too. I don't think any hardcore AA fans will boycott it because they know the series can't afford a stunt like that, but I worry the average/casual AA fan or newcomer might not be bothered by not picking it up.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Blah!

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
You know, couldn't Capcom just make fewer physical copies or perhaps just make a collectors edition? They'd still make a profit, plus with digital sales.

Such a release is impractical. See Sven's post about it: http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/ ... lease-pt-2

For sure, a physical release is not going to happen, at the very least not this time around.

The King of All

I honestly don't mind the only digital route Capcom is taking, but the one thing that worries me is the sales expectations for the game

If you can remember, they had high expectations for sales numbers which the eShop might not deliver extreme sales
The king of all, Sir Duke

Gettin' Old!

I hadn't noticed his new voice.

Personally it seems more fitting to a younger attorney like Apollo Justice to me but eh.

As for advertising, Nintendo has advertised e-shop games in it's Nintendo Directs before so it's probably not all devoid of any marketing.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Nick's voice lacks conviction. Athena is a real cute/powerful name. I don't get Juniper Woods? Looks like we'll be calling this game "DD" from here om out huh?

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

To me the voice lacks the energy. He's just saying it, not shoving it down the witness's throat, which was so cool about Phoenix's Objections!
Page 1 of 3 [ 102 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes