Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 2[ 70 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Why is capcom tight lipped about the US/EUR release date?Topic%20Title

As fall approaches I cant help but wonder why Capcom is deciding to stall on announcing the release date of AA5:DD. Personally I am hoping that there is going to be some huge surprise that is taking them some time to get ready.

I'm getting seriously impatient
Re: Why is capcom tight lipped about the US/EUR release dateTopic%20Title

We can't do anything else but wait for them to announce the exact date. Shouldn't take that much longer, after all it's Fall very soon.

Gettin' Old!

We're Ace Attorney gamers....we can wait.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

earthlings on fire

I think considering we waited three and a half years just to hear that 'yes, GS5 exists', waiting a little longer shouldn't hurt. They're probably not 100% sure on the date yet and don't want to say something that'll piss people off if they have to change it.

At this point, I don't even really care what the exact date is. Knowing that it'll be this year is more than enough for me!
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

On one hand, this isn't that big of an issue; when we complete the game in the end that date won't mean anything anymore.

On the other hand, I'm someone who likes to plan things. I want to plan around the release so that I don't have any plans when it comes out. I also want to make sure I'm somewhere with a good internet connection. Lastly, I'm planning on waiting for the DLC to come out and play it as one big game, so release dates get even more complicated when you factor that in.

I would have preferred to get a release date 2-3 months before the game was released, (at least the month that it was coming out) but since this is a "small", Digital Only game we probably will get 1 month of notice at the most.

Hopefully they bring out the DLC on day one in the West.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting a few months (despite my excitement fueled impatience). My only issue is that I don't see why Capcom wouldn't give us a solid date. To me it makes more business sense to announce the release date. Under normal circumstances, a game company usually announces a release date, a placeholder page gets created on a distributor's site to market the game (and accept pre-orders), which allows new fans to 'discover' the game and allows the publisher to gauge the true size of the market.

If capcom has a solid reason for delaying the announcement, I can't imagine what it would be.

adit2789 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting a few months (despite my excitement fueled impatience). My only issue is that I don't see why Capcom wouldn't give us a solid date. To me it makes more business sense to announce the release date. Under normal circumstances, a game company usually announces a release date, a placeholder page gets created on a distributor's site to market the game (and accept pre-orders), which allows new fans to 'discover' the game and allows the publisher to gauge the true size of the market.

If capcom has a solid reason for delaying the announcement, I can't imagine what it would be.

I totally agree with you, I was just stating that I'm sure to some people this doesn't matter much. It does to me though.

I think they should always announce a release date at least two months in advance.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

woosh

I actually asked on the Monster Hunter stream a week or so ago. Yuri mumbled something about Fall beginning in September, but then they said they don't know the release date. I'm thinking at the moment they themselves don't have an exact date, just a general estimate, which is why they're not saying anything on it. Whether this is due to something on Capcom's or Nintendo's end, I have no idea. I would hope only a month or two from release they would have most of this stuff figured out, but who knows.
:O

I'm guessing that the translations are still being made, possibly with some localizations as needed (like calling him Rip Van Winkle than... whoever the Japanese equivalent is). After that is done, and QA ensures that the code still works and nofew errors exist, then an official release date can be announced. Admittedly, I don't know all of the ins and outs of business, but I do know translations are frequently tricky.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I just hope they give it the time it needs with localisation. I don't want a half-assed piece of work like in AAI where half the name-puns were too obvious or the dialogue was over-written (remember how all the characters seemed to fumble in their sentences? "It would appear that I might have been able to have gotten the glimpse of..." (just an exaggeration of how it felt) etc.)
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Rognik wrote:
I'm guessing that the translations are still being made, possibly with some localizations as needed (like calling him Rip Van Winkle than... whoever the Japanese equivalent is). After that is done, and QA ensures that the code still works and nofew errors exist, then an official release date can be announced. Admittedly, I don't know all of the ins and outs of business, but I do know translations are frequently tricky.

I highly doubt that it isn't done by now, since the translation and localization (probably voice acting as well) was done simultaneously with the development of the game. My guess is that it's currently undergoing bug fixes, among other things.

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

Welcome to my Kingdom

What if they announce they are planning to announce the release date the day it releases or that it will release the week after?
This kind of stuff has happened before as well.

Before you believe me, please feel your

I really want that gyakuten kenji 2 manga for english because of that umm.
Sorry for my bad english this time but most of you posting in this topic with 4-5 sentences so I can do that one. I can't wait for the translation in such games from capcom. Meanwhile the gk2 translation team is still in progress. Hoping they planned to announce for the release date.

Unfortunately i dont think GK2 manga is coming. Without a release of the game there's no hope for the manga. Its really unfortunate. Personally I hope we will see GK2 localised and released digitally on Wii U.

As far as AA5 is concerned, Capcom is probably announcing a release date during PAX

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

adit2789 wrote:
Unfortunately i dont think GK2 manga is coming. Without a release of the game there's no hope for the manga. Its really unfortunate. Personally I hope we will see GK2 localised and released digitally on Wii U.

As far as AA5 is concerned, Capcom is probably announcing a release date during PAX

It's possible. And I want to see
Spoiler:
an English version of the demo trailer and 5/31 Nintendo Direct trailer.

POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Surf's Up!

linkenski wrote:
I don't want a half-assed piece of work like in AAI where half the name-puns were too obvious

Really? It took me a couple of weeks to figure out the pun behind Lauren "Loli" Paups's name, while I got the one behind Luke Atmey's name immediately.

Anyway, I would imagine Capcom want to finalise the translation/make sure that there aren't any major bugs or glitches before they announce a release date.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Spoiler: Release (Effie Trinket reference)
I'd bet my buttons on September 25.

POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Gettin' Old!

NinjaMonkey wrote:
linkenski wrote:
I don't want a half-assed piece of work like in AAI where half the name-puns were too obvious

Really? It took me a couple of weeks to figure out the pun behind Lauren "Loli" Paups's name, while I got the one behind Luke Atmey's name immediately.

Anyway, I would imagine Capcom want to finalise the translation/make sure that there aren't any major bugs or glitches before they announce a release date.

AAI had Deid Mann, it will forever be the worst for name puns. Hell its not even a pun in my accent that's just how you'd say it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:

AAI had Deid Mann, it will forever be the worst for name puns. Hell its not even a pun in my accent that's just how you'd say it.

Hey, I loved Deid Mann!

From what I've seen so far of DD, I'm not worried at all. It's not like it was a worldwide release; the localization team is still getting at least 2 months extra time to work. But then again, I've never had any issues at all with the localization of any of the games. Even the games that I felt didn't have very good stories or which had plots which were very flawed had great localizations.

Yeah Deid Mann was terrible. For some reason it actually took a while before I realised the pun in Luke Atmey, but that name sounds way better in pronounciation than "Deid Mann". I hate it when the name-puns barely sounds like names.

...But there are worse examples with AAI. I was more referring to the fact that the Yatagarasu and Hinohamaru (What the heck IS Hinohamaru anyway!? you lost a non-japanese understanding fan, ME, Capcom!) and Larry's japanese girlfriend. Look, I know he was bound to take the trip to Japan at some point but when you add everything together it just screams half-done translation. They left a dozen of the names untranslated! Yatagarasu could've become "The Shadow" or the "Illusium" :godot: or whatever. It doesn't have to match the japanese word. Noodles became "burgers" in PW:AA FFS. It actually worked, I didn't suspect a thing when I read it.

That's my fear. In AAI the localisation team half-assed it :yogi: but the old games used to have some really creative localisation, on par with the best of Nintendo's games!

Looking at the latest batch of screenshots from GS5 it seems like they're doing it again. I see "Yokai", "Phineas 'Tanuki' Flich", "Tenma" 'friggin' "Taro". I mean C'MON Capcom, GET IN THE GAME! See, I can understand Yokai is some sort of popular thing in Japan right now and as I've understood it some also know of it overseas, so I can cope with that. But Tanuki?? Where did that come from? Is it just what his nickname is in Japanese...? I don't think western gamers unaware of the Japanese versions will catch up on that... and Tenma Taro is the worst IMO. Just call it the "Rawk Raven" :kyouya: or something stupid like that. It's still better than NOT TRANSLATING it! :zenitora:

Gettin' Old!

Err but...the Yatagarasu is a good choice for two reasons let's compare it to "The Shadow"

a: It SOUNDS like a good cool name for a criminal just like "the shadow"

b: It makes SENSE considering the three legs on the mythological Yatagarasu. Plus keeping it oriental sort of ties in with the semi-ninja thing Kay had going on.

c: It allows them to put a symbol to act as the Yatagarasu's calling card as...well "The Shadow" isn't really a concrete thing you can make a physical depiction of really.

So it's not that it wasn't translated...it's that it didn't NEED to be translated. The mythological bird component of the Yatagarasu (a three-legged crow...or Raven I forget) is actually necessary and makes sense to the plot.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Imagine you don't know a thing about Japanese... one such person would not know what Yatagarasu means whatsoever. To me it came across as "oh some kind of jackie-chan kung-fu kinda name" and it's the first time you ever hear something that sounds outright Japanese in Ace Attorney (aside from "ZVARRI" which still doesn't outright say "Suvari!"

I wish I WERE the best.

They did show an explanation of the name Yatagarasu somewhere in the game but anyway, I think the localization for Ace Attorney Investigations (and all the AA games released in the US in general) is top-notch. Yatagarasu is a name that doesn't really need localization and even if the meaning is lost, the name generally gives off a more "mysterious" vibe.

And honestly, would you think it's necessary to localize the names in 5-2 when the setting pretty much gives it away it's Japanese?

And for the release date, wish that Capcom would tell us already but right now, I'm content.

Dracarys!

linkenski wrote:
and it's the first time you ever hear something that sounds outright Japanese in Ace Attorney

Sounds like somebody forgot about literally everything related to the Fey family.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

linkenski wrote:
That's my fear. In AAI the localisation team half-assed it :yogi: but the old games used to have some really creative localisation, on par with the best of Nintendo's games!

You do realize that "localization" isn't just about turning Eastern culture into Western culture that sort of fits, right? There's a limit to how effective it can be when the basis of a game is set in the heart of Japan. Things are changed only when it's difficult to maneuver with them otherwise; the team prefers to stay true to the Japanese whenever they can.

Fortunately, the Japanese versions give some room to explain certain concepts to players who don't understand, even if they are Japanese. Likewise, it gives the localization team room to maneuver, so they can give explanations for things that aren't easily translated. GS5 was created with localization in progress, and Eshiro has been the most active he's ever been with Capcom US and Europe teams.

...On that note, it most likely isn't just the bugs that are keeping the release date at bay. The localization should be completed by now. What remains a large uncertainty is the market.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Gettin' Old!

linkenski wrote:
Imagine you don't know a thing about Japanese... one such person would not know what Yatagarasu means whatsoever. To me it came across as "oh some kind of jackie-chan kung-fu kinda name" and it's the first time you ever hear something that sounds outright Japanese in Ace Attorney (aside from "ZVARRI" which still doesn't outright say "Suvari!"

Like folks' said it was explained in game what the mythological Yatagarasu is so it's not so much a big worry of folks not understanding it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Oh, drats I didn't remember that. I still feel like Ace Attorney games lean more and more towards anime Cliche's nowadays than they used to... or maybe it's because Anime has changed from when the original trilogy was made. I still think the Yatagarasu should've been localised. They could've just come up with their own name.

Gettin' Old!

linkenski wrote:
Oh, drats I didn't remember that. I still feel like Ace Attorney games lean more and more towards anime Cliche's nowadays than they used to... or maybe it's because Anime has changed from when the original trilogy was made. I still think the Yatagarasu should've been localised. They could've just come up with their own name.

But...why......they couldn't have come up with their own name...the three leggedness of the Yatagarasu is crucial.

It can be set in America and still acknowledge Japanese things after all...
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I know, but for some reason it bugged me. I don't really care about the significance of the word Yatagarasu. It's totally just my own opinion that I don't like it and as I said, Yatagarasu is kinda excusable because as you say, it was hard to translate and retain the legendness (I don't care though) but my main issue is still that sausage box you get as evidence in AAI that's called Hinohamaru (or whatever) and the names in the GS5 screenshots: Tenma Taro and Mr. Tanuki. I loved the localisation in PW:AA and I thought it was a nice move to change the setting into American even if it was obvious a lot of places were japanese looking.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Just for the record, the Hinohamaru is the red circle on the Japanese flag. The Steel Samurai isn't normally supposed to have that mark on his fan, but at first glance, it looked like it fit.

Tenma Taro comes from another legend: the Four Great Tenma, demon-like spirits who are infamous for many evils, in short. One of them happens to look like a bird.

The term Yokai can be somewhat translated as "demon", but I ran into a little translating issue back when the screenshots were first released: in one of Jinxie's testimonies, she starts off simply stating the term "yokai", and it's not clear whether she meant one or many - until the next line, where she specified with "everywhere". And since this is a cultural setting, "yokai" fits in anyway.

Tanuki is the Japanese name for a raccoon dog. With his blacked eyes, Filch looks kind of like one. Tanuki are also rumored to be very sneaky or sly creatures who like to steal little things, and that's exactly what Filch is. I concede that they could have left him with "Raccoon", but he is still a villager and lives there.

I understand that Japanese terms can be rather confusing. If it's so difficult to remember certain names, try abbreviating them if you need and leave a note to those who don't understand. Since there are many more English speakers here than otherwise, it's not likely they'd get too confused anyhow.

...Two weeks. I give Capcom two weeks to pass along a release date. If they're aiming for October, they need to hurry up and dish out some more news. If it's November, it'll start getting a little too close to the Holiday period.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

At first I thought capcom would be releasing the game in november for the holiday rush, but the more i thought about it the more i realized that a digital title has no 'holiday rush'. October sounds more likely to me. Early or late is anyone's guess, but with the 'costume' dlc that comes with the game, syncing the release with halloween would make sense.

This whole issue still confuses me to no end. The missed marketing opportunities are astounding. Capcom has basically assured that they only want existing fans (who keep up with AA news) to buy the game.

Yesterday Capcom's Chris posted another short news article about Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/bl ... er-returns

There are two interesting things there:

- First he talks about the "upcoming" release of AA:DD and while it doesn't mean much, I think you wouldn't use upcoming for a title that is released in the far future.
- Second, this is the beginning of a series of short character introductions and I think this could act as a sort of countdown, at least it usually does.

Yeah... I'm kinda getting desperate here, but I just want the game so much.

Me too, and I definitely think this is their way of counting down to the release or the reveal of the release.

If they're going through the same main cast the Japanese people did until the game released there's a couple more characters to go through.

Phoenix: Check
Apollo: Waiting
Athena: Waiting
Blackquill: Waiting
Fulbright: Waiting
Klavier & Trucy: Waiting
Pearl: Waiting
Edgeworth: Waiting

So, if we assume one character is going to be revealed each week, the release date would be sometime early november. A little late for my taste

No, because if they copy the format they used in the japanese promo, Trucy and Klavier are in the same post. This means it would mean the last part would be posted on october 26th.

But yeah it looks like it's gonna be between october and november. I'd just like a release date soon so I could stop coming back and forth to check every now and then.

The lack of a release date is making me speculate on why there isnt a release date far more than anything related to anything in the game.

Welcome to my Kingdom

Late October - Early November would be a bit bad for me. Azran Legacies releases on the 8th of November.

At least you'll have two games in a row to keep you occupied. I'm all out of games right now. No games I feel like replaying and there are no new games as of now that I want to play.

Luckily Amnesia A Machine For Pigs is out on tuesday, so that'll kill some time. I just want DD right nao!

Is it only me that is going insane over the lack of updates recently?
I refresh te forums a 1000 day.. Is there something in the near future that's planned? Like an announcement or something?

paviv14 wrote:
Is it only me that is going insane over the lack of updates recently?
I refresh te forums a 1000 day.. Is there something in the near future that's planned? Like an announcement or something?

I would be, but since I just started college I've got plenty of things to keep me busy. And on a more positive note, the new season of The Legend of Korra begins this friday.

Still, their silence is strange. I don't want them to rush anything and have the game suffer for it, obviously, but isn't it in their best interest to keep us informed?
Page 1 of 2 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)