Board index » Present Evidence » Present Evidence

Page 1 of 2[ 55 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gyakuten Saiban... in English?Topic%20Title

Hi... I'm not sure this is the right place to ask for this, sorry if it isn't :yogi:

I'm a huge fan of the PW series, but I've never played any of the Japanese games... I've read that they had to change a lot of stuff during localization to make it funnier for audiences outside Japan, and obviously they did a great job, but I've always wondered what they talked about in the original...

So I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a translated script for any of the GS games? I mean, an English version of the original Jap... because I don't uderstand a word of Japanese but I would love to read the original dialogues :)
Re: Gyakuten Saiban... in English?Topic%20Title

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

While there is no translated version of the original Japanese script, I can calm you down:

I played many of the cases in Japanese, being a Japanology Student between her first and second year, and can comfirm that the translation may have localized some things, but only where necessary to make the game more accesible for the west.

For example:

Japanese Pop Culture reference --> Becomes American Popculture Reference

Yakuza --> Becomes Mafia/Mob

Ramen --> Becomes Burger

Reibai --> Becomes "Japanese Spirit Medium" (Which is mostly correct)

Keigo --> Becomes Refined Language

At the core, the script is almost the same, it's mainly jokes and very specifically Japanese things that were changed in a way that keeps the "Feel" the same while allowing the players to understand what the characters are talking about. This is what makes a great translation in my opinion.

Though, I can understand why you'd want to see the original script. I am playing AJ in Japanese myself right now and it's a lot of fun playing it in Japanese. Kyouya's/Klavier's Gratitouis English is in a way better and in a way worse than his Gratitous German in the English Version; Trucy is speaking in third person most of the time (Which is kinda cute, really), and Apollo has trouble speaking Keigo (polite language) in court. XD

It's quite funny seeing the subtle, untranslatable aspects of the original script... :keiko:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Apologies for necro-posting, but this is an interesting enough thread for my purposes and related to one of my own.

I'm currently translating, without reference of the English localizations, the first Gyakuten Saiban game (sans Yomigaeru) through a full fandub of the game. It's already busy enough, but I've considered personally translating the other games as well, given that I have the time, of course.

All I need is the Japanese script, preferably all in one place, but I'm not sure where to find complete scripts. And I won't need the script for GS1, beside that of Yomigaeru.

The only other option I have is to play through the Japanese games and painstakingly translate every line I can find in them (that has been altered in localizations).

But I think I'll get through that fandub first. It'd be overkill if I were to work on this project at the same time.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
All I need is the Japanese script, preferably all in one place, but I'm not sure where to find complete scripts. And I won't need the script for GS1, beside that of Yomigaeru.

I used this site (thanks to JapaneseGIRL) for the scripts of GS1~3, when I wrote my thesis (on translation of role language). There are some mistakes in the script though and the order isn't always that clear (逆転裁判脚大全 is a miracle in that regard), so you might want to cross-reference the actual games at times.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Wow, thanks Ash! This will really help. (Though I have to wonder who translated the Chinese versions and why they sound so... off. Nonetheless, I may have a use for them too, for more entertaining reasons of course.)

Although my current Fully Voiced GS project is still ongoing, albeit with a few delays lately, I may get started on this after all. It's easier to translate things into scripts than captioning videos anyhow.

For those interested, I may edit this post later, so check back within... several days when I can find some time to work with. Thanks to everyone for the support!
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Time Paradox

Awesome project ! I'll watch for it !

Ace Defective

Thank you for taking time to do this! I'm really curious what the actual context are. :)
I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research.
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

Okay, here we go! I'll skim through the scripts for each case and take notes on things that have changed between the source and the English localization. For the sake of saving space, I'll keep my notes under spoiler tags.

One thing to keep in mind as you read through these notes is that I'll be using Japanese names a LOT. It's not necessary to memorize all the Japanese names, but it would be more convenient for you if you do. If you ever get lost among the names, check the Court Records character pages for more details. In that little box above the text, all names are typed in katakana. When I include certain scripts, I'll use their names as they are shown in-game.

Stay tuned for updates. Due to the length of each of these cases, I may end up multi-posting in this thread if no one responds in a while, as editing one post with so many would be hard on my eyes.

Spoiler: Recurring characters
Ryuichi Naruhodo (Phoenix Wright)
Chihiro Ayasato (Mia Fey)
Masashi Yahari (Larry Butz)
Saibancho* (Judge)
Takefumi Auchi (Winston Payne)

*This means Judge, by the way.

Spoiler: Case 1-1 Characters
Mika Takabi (Cindy Stone)
Hoshio Yamano (Frank Sahwit)

Spoiler: Hajimete Gyakuten (The First Turnabout)
Scene 1: Prologue

>snip

Scene 2: Prelude

Character Note #1: Phoenix talks in a generally polite manner, but is a bit casual with his close friends. (Isn't that a shocker?)

Character Note #2: Mia always refers to Phoenix as "Naruhodo-kun", regardless of where they are. This is how Maya learns of his nickname. Likewise, Phoenix interchanges between calling Mia "Chief" or "Chihiro-san", which is equivocated in the English versions anyway.

Character Note #3: Larry calls Phoenix by his last name, as it's the proper way to address people in Japanese. However, he tends to elongate it, as he does with Edgeworth's name. He's also one of the most rough-talking characters in-game and rarely ever uses polite language. Phoenix simply calls him "Yahari", though in court, he may refer to him as "Yahari-kun".

Technicality Note #1: The English ver actually skips out on a small section of dialogue at the beginning. It's been corrected in the HD Trilogy.

Chihiro: How are you feeling? It's your first trial.
Naruhodo: I-I've been nervous like this ever since I had a class trial back in grade school.
Chihiro: ...Well, that was then. It's such a long time ago, isn't it?
Naruhodo: Eh, yeah, well...
Um... Chief?
Sorry about today. It's been so hectic...
Chihiro: Oh, I don't mind. It's my cute pupil's debut today.
...Speaking of which,
I'm impressed that you're taking a murder as your first case.
It says a lot about you... and your client as well.

And it goes on as usual from there until the black-out, where another point was taken out.

Naruhodo: My name is Naruhodou Ryuuichi. [Last-name, first; as it is romanized]
I've become a defense attorney just 3 months ago, and today is my first trial.
Okay.
This case is a fairly simple one.
A young woman was killed in her apartment.
They arrested the unlucky guy dating her,
Yahari Masashi... a close friend since grade school.
"Behind the scene, you know it's Yahari" [lit. "In the shadow of the incident, yappari Yahari"] is a saying that's been going on 23 years. [as if to say, it started with this guy]
He's always been getting himself into deep trouble.
One thing I can say though:
It's usually not his fault. He just has terrible luck.

And so, the legend begins...

Scene 3: Court Begins

Character Note #4: Judge likes to refer to Phoenix as "Naruhodou-kun", with his full last name typed in kanji, but most other times, simply calls him "Defense Attorney". Payne also calls him as such, but without the friendly respect that Judge offers. He also calls Larry "Yahari-kun", as if to say that neither of them are worthy of being called 'san'.

Culture Note #1: It is customary to refer to all prosecutors by title (i.e. Auchi-kenji) rather than by the common 'san' suffix. And, as expected, his Honor and Payne always use honorifics when they speak. Phoenix is pretty fluent in keigo, respectful language, though he primarily uses polite forms rather than the long honorifics.

>Answer: Larry Butz

The second question has the choices of Chihiro Ayasato, Yuka Hitaka, and Mika Takabi. They are the equivalents of Mia Fey, Cinder Block, and Cindy Stone. Takabi and Hitaka are the same kanji, but reversed; Yuka uses kanji for "friend" and "add", possibly suggesting her... lifestyle.

>Answer: Cindy Stone
>Answer: Strangled

Judge suggest that Phoenix has strangled himself with his own answer.

>Answer: Struck with a blunt object

Scene 4: Larry's Testimony

Auchi: Well.
Yahari-kun, you've recently been dumped by the victim, haven't you?
Yahari: Hey! Whaddya say!?
Why're you picking on the world's greatest couple of the century!?
Naruhodo: (W... where did that come from...?)
Yahari: She just hasn't been taking my calls or seeing me!
What's your problem!?
Auchi: What you describe is generally what we mean by "dumped".

Culture Note #2: Since this game is set in Japan, Cindy traveled to New York. That makes a 14-hour gap.

Yahari: I'm gonna die! I'm just gonna drop dead!
And when I meet her in heaven, I'm gettin' some answers outta her!
Saibancho: ...Well, let us continue with the trial.
Auchi: I believe the accused's motive has been made clear.
Saibancho: Most certainly.
Naruhodo: (...*sob*...)
Auchi: Now, next question.
You went to the victim's apartment on the day of the murder, did you not?
Yahari: ......!
Auchi: Well?
Yahari: Uh, w-well what?
Naruhodo: (With that look on his face, he really did go...)

>Answer: Stop him from answering

Instead of "Lie like a dog", Phoenix tells Larry "Make a smooth getaway"... not that it mattered.

Scene 5: Cross-examination

Character Note #5: At first, Sahwit speaks completely in humble form, but by the time the Pursuit theme plays, he drops the act completely.

Technicality Note #1: Sahwit brings up the time as at 2:00 pm, rather than 1:00. The time of death remains at 4:00.

>Press: "Thinking it strange..."

There's mention of the pun in the name Hoshio Yamano, which has 'yama' (mountain) and 'hoshi' (sounds like 'hoshii', which is "want to"). "Where there's a mountain, there's someone to climb it", or so goes the saying.

>Present: Autopsy Report @ "I remember the..."

Scene 6: 2nd Cross-examination

>Present: Blackout Record @ "There was a..." or "I guess the..."

Judge comments on how Sahwit seems to sway more when he's distraught.

Technicality Note #2: The joke with the clock comes from the first kanji in "statue", to which Sahwit added "clock". The resulting term translates to "table clock", but I could very well call it an "statue clock" in this case.

>Answer: Knew the victim

Phoenix actually says 'zubari', which means "decisively" or "frankly", hence the "Frank" joke.

>Answer: Went into the apartment

Technicality Note #3: Here's a minor change with the Thinker's time: 9:25, rather than 8:25.

>Present: Victim's Passport

Technicality Note #4: The English ver has a small error. Judge doesn't state Sahwit as Payne's "client", but just as Hoshio Yamano.

Scene 7: Won the Case

>snip

Edit: Okay, I'll just put this here. Excuse me for not knowing police slang very well. Thanks again, Ash.
Ash wrote:
It's correct here, but the actual pun behind Yamano Hoshio lies behind police slang: 'yama' refers to a case, 'hoshi' to the culprit. So Yamano is, quite literally, 'the culprit of this case'.

Edit2: Time for some very-much needed reorganization and slight corrections.

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
- In one of the presses, there's mention of the pun in the name Hoshio Yamano, which has 'yama' (mountain) and 'hoshi' (sounds like 'hoshii', which is "want to"). "Where there's a mountain, there's someone to climb it", or so goes the saying.

It's correct here, but the actual pun behind Yamano Hoshio lies behind police slang: 'yama' refers to a case, 'hoshi' to the culprit. So Yamano is, quite literally, 'the culprit of this case'.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Hahaha! Even if I'm just taking notes, it's all in good fun!

Spoiler: Recurring Characters
Mayoi Ayasato (Maya Fey)
Reiji Mitsurugi (Miles Edgeworth)
Keisuke Itonokogiri (Dick Gumshoe)
Soranosuke Hoshikage (Marvin Grossberg)

Spoiler: Case 1-2 Characters
Masaru Konaka (Redd White)
Umeyo Shouchiku (April May)
Boy* (Bellboy)
Shin Mitsurugi (Gregory Edgeworth)
Maiko Ayasato (Misty Fey)

* Yes, bellboys are simply called 'boy' in Japanese. It's usually written in katakana, so it doesn't get mixed up with other terms.

Spoiler: Gyakuten Shimai (Turnabout Sisters) Investigation Day 1

Character Note #1: Maya prefers miso-ramen to burgers here.

Character Note #2: Beware of White's hilariously awful Engrish. He is every definition of a xenophiliac, particularly a lover of America (but he's actually Japanese and Nick calls him out at one point).

Technicality Note #1: Mia's last words are "Ko... na... ka...", rather than "red, white, blue."

Scene 2: Investigation Opening

Character Note #3: The only one who calls Maya "Mayoi-chan" on a regular basis is Phoenix. After learning her name, he immediately adds 'chan' to her name. No wonder Pearl pairs them up, eh?

Scene 3: Detention Center

Character Note #4: Maya simply calls Phoenix by his title, "Bengoshi-san" until the end of this case. She refers to Grossberg as 'sensei', but not literally "teacher". It's meant here as a respectful term, as well as him being Mia's mentor.

Scene 4: Fey & Co. Offices

Character Note #5: Everyone but Edgeworth calls Gumshoe "Itonoko" because his full name is hard to remember. (He gets a bit peeved at first when Phoenix and Maya call him that, though.) He also refers to anyone who isn't his superior with 'anta', which is the equivalent of saying "pal". And above all, he ends almost every sentence with 'ssu', a rough way of saying 'desu', even when it doesn't make sense.

>Intro

You have 3 choices to make fun of Gumshoe: "Itonoko", "Kamenoko", and "Nokonoko". They go in order of least insulting to most. The first is just his name shortened, the second is a reference to a company name of bathroom scrubbers, and the third is... that. In any case, he gets mad.

Character Note #6: As expected, Phoenix refers to Edgeworth by last name, "Mitsurugi".

Scene 5: Grossberg & Co. Offices

>snip (He's out at the moment.)

Scene 6: Detention Center Redux

>snip

Scene 7: Gatewater Hotel

Character Note #7: April says 'mitai' ("like") a lot, and she's a lot more "moe" here. She often uses her own name to refer to herself (it's "kiddy" to speak in third-person). And she can speak with stars! Once she gets angry, though, her words become very rough.

Scene 8: Grossberg & Co. Offices Again

Character Note #8: Grossberg talks like an old man, ending his sentences with 'ja' instead of 'da'. He goes further by saying 'chimi' instead of 'kimi' (a friendly/familiar "you").

Scene 9: Gatewater Hotel Bellboy

Character Note #9: The Bellboy naturally speaks in humble form, and is just as dedicated to his hotel-mania.

>Intro

Konaka is the CEO of Kona-Culture (localized as "Bluecorp"), spelled as ko na ka ru cha- .

Technicality Note #2: Honestly, I think the "getting to that woman's bottom" was a funnier joke, but Phoenix makes perverted comments anyway by saying "let's enjoy ourselves again..." before adding "...in court!"

Spoiler: Gyakuten Shimai (Turnabout Sisters) Trial Day 1
Scene 1: Court Begins

Character Note #10: Edgeworth, as you'd expect, speaks rather formally. He speaks so formally that it's actually an identifying quirk about him. That, and he frequently uses 'kisama' when casual. However, I rarely ever see him use humble language. Figures, it just doesn't suit him.

Scene 2: First Testimony

>Press: "The defendant, Ms..."

Culture Note #1: Gumshoe refers to Maya's outfit as "traditional Japanese garb", as it is.

>Press: "Why? We had..." or "The witness saw..."

Technicality Note #3: I see some errors in translation during Gumshoe's second testimony, when Phoenix presses regarding the blood tests.

Naruhodo: What's so conclusive about these "tests"?
Itonoko: Huh? Conclusive? Um... let's see...
Something from the blood, um, the helo... helogmobin... no, wait.
Moheglo... hemoglomobilon... Huh? Moheloglohedmodog...
I-I refuse to testify on this, sir!
I'm no expert on blood tests!
Saibancho: ...Yes, that's enough. Continue with your testimony.
Itonoko: Whew... I'm safe!
Mitsurugi: Detective Itonokogiri.
Itonoko: Y-yes, sir!
Mitsurugi: Look forward to your salary evaluation next month.
Itonoko: ...*sigh*
Naruhodo: (I feel kinda sorry for him...)
Itonoko: A-anyway!

Scene 3: Second Testimony

>Present: Autopsy Report @ "Before she died..."
>Answer: The day after the murder
>Answer: The detective's a sham! or I'm a sham!

Mitsurugi: Detective Itonokogiri.
Itonoko: ...Eep!
Mitsurugi: I'm disappointed in you, handing him the wrong report.
Itonoko: Uh... I... I'm sorry, sir.
Mitsurugi: You are at fault, Detective.
...Look forward to your salary evaluation next month.
Itonoko: A-again... sir? *sigh*

Scene 4: Third Testimony

>Answer: Yes, I'm doing it
>Press: "The one attacking..." or "But that girl..."
>Answer: I question your testimony
>Answer: You saw nothing / You're lying

Scene 5: Fourth Testimony

>Press: "I did see..."

When April insults Phoenix with "spiky", the insult is more prevalent in Japanese. Calling someone 'gizagiza' is basically calling them a jerk.

>Press: "The victim--the..."

Culture Note #2: The Japanese are much more familiar with using chopsticks, as opposed to forks or knifes, but the latter choice has been gaining more popularity, especially with the recent pop-culture trends of becoming more "western" in nature.

>Present: Statue @ "That... that clock! ..."

Character Note #11: Edgeworth begins to be impressed - in the condescending way. He starts calling him "rookie" and other times adds 'kun' to his title, 'bengoshi' ("defense attorney").

>Answer: It couldn't have rung
>Answer: It's empty (or whichever)
>Present: Cell Phone

Phoenix: "(My heart goes out to you, Edgeworth. Not.)"
^
Naruhodo: "(My, my. Poor Gumshoe...)"

>Answer: Yes
>Present: Other

Phoenix: Here is undeniable proof!
Edgeworth: Hah!?
Please, this is a court case, not some surrealist performance art piece!
Judge: Hmm... Perhaps the defense would like to change its mind?
^
Naruhodo: This evidence tells the whole story!
Saibancho: ...What story does it tell?
Mitsurugi: The defense's dream, perhaps?
Naruhodo: (Not funny... Well, I blew that one...)
Saibancho: You look as if you're not ready to give in yet.
Then, I'll ask you once more.

>Present: Statue

The shopping jokes are thrown in, but I find them rather fitting. He he heh...

>Answer: You had heard about it
>Present: Cell Phone
>Answer: Why the wiretap?
>Answer: Call the bellboy as a witness
>Answer: Accept the condition

Scene 6: An Extra Witness

>Testimony

Technicality Note #4: I dunno where the Eng ver got its info on the Gatewater, but it's not in there in the Jap ver.

Character Note #12: Props to the bellboy. He uses English terms rather well. Supposedly, "Ab-SO-lutely" was originally 'mochi-no-ron' (a much less common way to say 'mochiron' = "of course"). And then he even follows up with "of course", spoken in English.

>Press: "And I delivered..."

Bellboy: Well, when I brought the room service, sir...
S-she... the guest, sir, favored me w-with a, um, an "embrasser," sir.
Phoenix: "Embrasser"!? Is that French for "embrace"?
Bellboy It's French for "kiss," sir. But not a french kiss, sir! More of a peck on the cheek.
^
Boy: Well, when I brought the room service, sir...
S-s-she gave me, um, a, kiss, you see.
Naruhodo: A k-kiss?
Boy: Yes, it was a little peck, right here on my cheek.

>Press: All
>Answer: Protest

Character Note #13: The first instance of when the judge calls Edgeworth "Mitsurugi-kun" (in his endearing-old-man sort of tone).

Answer: Any

Edgeworth: I object! That was... objectionable!
Judge: ...
Objection overruled. The witness will answer the question.
^
Mitsurugi: I-I object! For now...
Saibancho: ......
Objection overruled, for now. Witness, your answer please!

>Answer: The man with Miss May

Scene 7: Done for the Day

>snip

Spoiler: Gyakuten Shimai (Turnabout Sisters) Investigation Day 2
Scene 1: Detention Center

>Talk: Your attitude

In the Eng ver, April calls Phoenix something vile. In the Jap ver, she changes up her vocabulary with a very degrading way of calling someone stupid.

Scene 2: Gatewater Hotel

>snip

Scene 3: Grossberg Law Offices

>snip (Fetching a picture...)

Scene 4: Return to Gatewater

>snip (Gained affidavit. Yes.)

Scene 5: Detention Center Redux

>snip

Scene 6: Grossberg Law Offices Again

>snip

Scene 7: Bluecorp

This isn't the bellboy's prim English; this is Engrish that has been ripped of its former glory. Here, an example:

Konaka: I am Konaka Masaru, this company's president. Ah, rather, Purejidento. [typed in katakana]
I have been living in America for quite some time.
So I am not very good with this Nihongo. ["Japanese", typed in katakana]
Naruhodo: (Liar!)

As expected, confusion makes up most of Phoenix's responses. Those who can read katakana and have Gyakuten Saiban at hand, have a field day with him.

Scene 8: Grossberg Law Offices Thrice

>snip

(This section wins the award for "most difficult section of script to navigate" and another for Phoenix's inane imagination. Nonetheless, the localization got it hands down.)

Scene 9: Back to Fey Law Offices

>Examine: Bookshelves

Culture Note #3: A quick lesson in Japanese, folks! The bookshelves ordered in 'a, i, u, e, o' as per the Japanese alphabet. The three choices are "from 'a'", "from 'ka'", and "from 'sa'". Because kana characters are reused with added dakuten (the "quote mark" at top-right) and handakuten (the "degree sign" at top-right), they're usually ordered by the base kana.

As mentioned above, Misty Fey is Ayasato Maiko (last, first). The 'ko' in Konaka is among the 'ka' section (but it's been stolen, of course). The 'sa' includes 'shi', which in turn is followed by 'ji'; 'jitsatsu' = suicide.

>Examine: Bookshelves (again)

Phoenix can search a new section labeled "from 'ta'", in which he searches for the DL-6 case, but it's all missing. (The D is spelled with a 'de' and a small 'i' after it, and 'de' follows 'te'.)

Scene 10: Confrontation at Bluecorp

>Intro

Konaka: Hey, you're rather persistent.
Naruhodo: Sorry, but there's something I have to ask you.
Konaka: Now see here, Mistah Bengoshi,
I really hate to repeat myself.
Don bazaa mii! ["Don't bother me!"] Stop loitering around here!
If you don't, you may have an akushidento ["accident"] to be hapaningu ["happening"]...
Do you understand?
Naruhodo: (No I don't!)

And the rest is about Phoenix almost becoming history.

Scene 11: Turnabout Detention

>snip

Spoiler: Gyakuten Shimai (Turnabout Sisters) Trial Day 2
Scene 1: Lobby

>snip

Scene 2: Court Reconvenes

>Intro to testimony

Mitsurugi: Please state your name.
Konaka: Iesu ai amu! ["Yes, I am!"]
Mitsurugi: I asked for your name!
Konaka: Oo, soorii. ["Oh, sorry."]
I have lived in America for a long time, so I am not good with Nihongo...
Mitsurugi: Name!
Naruhodo: (These two make a good pair.)
Konaka: I am Konaka Masaru. MASARU KONA-KA.
I am the CEO of Kona-Culture Corporation, ah no. Purejidento.
Mitsurugi: Were you acquainted with the victim, Ayasato Chihiro?
Konaka: Neva- gibu apu! ["Never give up!"] No, I did not know her.
Mitsurugi: ......
Witness, were you in the hotel on the night of the murder?
Konaka: Iesu.
Mitsurugi: And you witnessed the crime from there?
Konaka: Ahan. ["Ahem."] Good to see you understand.

Scene 3: First Testimony

>Press: "The victim, she..."
>Present: May's Testimony @ "The victim ran..."
>Answer: Both are right
>Present: Attacker's place

Character Note #14: Konaka calls His Honor "Mistah Saibancho". He later calls Edgeworth "Mistah Kenji".

Scene 4: Second Testimony

>Press: "Miss May's testimony..."

Actually, he's Japanese.

>Present: Autopsy Report @ "You see? You..."

Scene 5: Third Testimony

>Press: "Umm, well, see..."
>Answer: "Yeah, very odd..."
>Press: "She turned, and..."

(Here's the "Mistah Kenji" I mentioned earlier.)

>Present: Glass Shards / Floor Plans

Scene 6: Final Testimony

>Press: "That is when..."

One of my favorite lines typed completely in katakana goes: "Hau byutiho- za denki sutando ito wazu!" Basically, "How beautiful the light stand, it was!"

>Press: All & then some

Scene 2: Defendant Lobby

>snip

Scene 3: Back to Court

>snip (Mia, where did you get that memo anyway...?)

Scene 4: Won the Case

>snip

Scene 5: Fey & Co. Law Offices

Technicality Note #5: Maya simply calls Phoenix "Naruhodo-kun" as did Mia. Larry isn't involved at all.

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
- You have 3 choices to make fun of Gumshoe: "Itonoko", "Kamenoko", and "Nokonoko". They go in order of least insulting to most. The first is just his name shortened, the second is a reference to a company name of bathroom scrubbers, and the third is... that. In any case, he gets mad

A nokonoko is usually called a Koopa Troopa here.

Quote:

I've always read that as a JoJo reference ^^'

Ash wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
- You have 3 choices to make fun of Gumshoe: "Itonoko", "Kamenoko", and "Nokonoko". They go in order of least insulting to most. The first is just his name shortened, the second is a reference to a company name of bathroom scrubbers, and the third is... that. In any case, he gets mad

A nokonoko is usually called a Koopa Troopa here.

なるほどね。あ、ナルホドくんじゃないんだけど。

Quote:
Quote:

I've always read that as a JoJo reference ^^'

No wonder it sounded familiar. I haven't seen Jojo in forever.

Okay, moving on to one of my favorite cases in the series.

Spoiler: Case 1-3 Characters
New characters:
Tonosaman* (Steel Samurai)
Akudaikaan* (Evil Magistrate)
Saburou Niboshi (Will Powers)
Kaoru Ooba (Wendy Oldbag)
Takeshi Ibukuro (Jack Hammer)
Yumiko Mamiya (Penny Nichols)
Takuya Uzai (Sal Manella)
Kyuuta Ootaki (Cody Hackins)
Sakura Himegami (Dee Vasquez)

* Although they aren't listed in the profiles, I've decided to include them here.

Spoiler: Gyakuten no Tonosaman (Turnabout Samurai) Investigation Day 1

Culture Note #1: The name 'Tonosaman' comes from the term 'tono-sama' referring to a man of nobility and "man" (like in a superhero's name). 'Akudaikaan' is simply 'aku' meaning "evil", and 'daikan' meaning "magistrate".

Technicality Note #1: The reference to Final Fantasy IX: "The Dark Messenger Returns" is a direct translation from the Jap ver.

Scene 2: Wright & Co. Law Offices

>snip

>Intro

Mayoi: ......
Naruhodo: Look, Mayoi-chan. It's the star you've been longing to see.
Mayoi: Hey. ...Is it really that?
Naruhodo: Don't call him "that".
He's our client, Niboshi Saburou.
Mayoi: I shouldn't say this, but...
He did it. Murder, maybe once or twice.
Naruhodo: H-hey, whoa! What are you saying!?

Character Note #1: Will is such a baby. Using 'kyoushuku' is a very formal and humble way of apologizing.

Culture Note #2: "Neo Olde Tokyo" comes from 'Neo Edo City' in the Jap ver. Edo is the former name of Tokyo, back during the Tokugawa Shogunate in the early 1600s. Hence, "Neo Olde Tokyo".

Culture Note #3: The studio's name here, 英都, can be pronounced 'hideto'. It may be a reference to the Japanese film director Hideto Aki, famous for his adult video movies. Hence the joke of these studios directing a TV series made for kids.

Scene 4: Studio Main Entrance

Character Note #2: Everyone, including herself (and excluding Edgeworth), refers to Oldbag as 'oba-chan', which means "old lady". When she calls herself that, it's meant as a "cute" way of talking about herself (like how a kid would do). Of course, the actual effect is otherwise...
Geebus, her ramblings are even worse in the Jap ver. because she stops using punctuation. (She does mention that her son hadn't called her in three years.)
Whenever there's someone Oldbag likes, she refers to them using 'chan'. It's not a problem... until she meets with Edgeworth, who is oh-so-very bothered by it.

Culture Note #4: Instead of donuts or coffee here, they're youkan (a type of jelly desert made from bean paste) and tea here.

Scene 5: Studio 1 Entrance

>snip

Scene 6: Studio Main Entrance

>Intro

Mayoi: Look, look! Naruhodo-kun!
The oba-chan at the station is snacking on youkan and drinking tea.
It's like "Nippon no Oba-chan". [I'm not sure if this is a TV show or not, but I think it's a cooking program with a "little old lady" as the host. Gonna need to check this thoroughly later.]
Naruhodo: Yeah, though here, it's more "old lady" than usual.

Scene 7: Wright & Co. Law Offices / Detention Center

>snip

Scene 8: Employee Area

>Examine: Vending machines

Culture Note #5: The vending machines offer tea, miso soup, oshiruko (a sweet red-bean soup), kudzu porridge (sort of), and oden. (For more info, google it.)

Naruhodo: It's a pretty ordinary lineup... except the "oolong tea".
Mayoi: Hey, what's this "Tonosaman Juice"?
Naruhodo-kun, have a taste.
Naruhodo: (Drink it yourself.)

Scene 9: Dressing Room

Technicality Note #2: It's actually "Chanmage Boogie", or "Topknot Boogie".

Scene 10: Inside Studio 1

>Examine: Camera

???: (Ah! Don't! Please don't touch it!)
Naruhodo: Ah, sorry... She's just like "that".
Mayoi: What do you mean "that"?
Naruhodo: ...And, you are?
Staff: I'm from the staff here.
I help manage all sorts of things behind the scenes.
Mayoi: Oh, we're Niboshi Saburou-san's lawyers.
Staff: Ah, so you two are Nibosabu-san's...
Mayoi: Nibosabu... ah, Niboshi Saburou, huh?
Staff: It's a lot of trouble,
but please help Nibosabu-san.
He couldn't hurt anyone.
Mayoi: Leave it to us!

Character Note #3: In general, I find Penny much more polite here than how they pictured her in the Eng ver.

Scene 11: Main Entrance

>Outro

Mayoi: Hey. hey, Naruhodo-kun.
Now that we have this photo, we have something for the trail tomorrow, right?
Naruhodo: Yeah.
Mayoi: And we can knock that oba-chan speechless!
Naruhodo: Speechless...
Mayoi: Why are you copying me?
...Ah, well.
Okay, let's hurry and show it to her...
Naruhodo: No, don't.
Mayoi: Why not?
Naruhodo: We shouldn't reveal our hand to the enemy too soon.
Mayoi: Wow, Naruhodo-kun. You're surprisingly crafty... [She uses 'onushi', an archaic way of saying "you".]
Like a second Akudaikaan!
Naruhodo: Don't put me with him!
Mayoi: ...Now, now. Well, I guess we've about finished up for today.
Naruhodo: We'll have to do with this photo for the trial tomorrow.
It'd be better if I had some clues as to who it is, though.
Could it really be that oba-chan?

Spoiler: Gyakuten no Tonosaman (Turnabout Samurai) Trial Day 1

>snip

Scene 2: Witness Testimony

>Intro

Judge: Now, the witness was stationed at the main gate on the day of the murder, correct?
Oldbag: Yessey I was.
Judge: And to get to the scene of the murder, someone would have to pass by you?
Oldbag: You know your stuff, dearie!
Judge: ...
You may begin your testimony.
Phoenix: (She sure is one hell of an Oldbag...)
^
Saibancho: The witness was stationed at the main entrance on the day of the murder, correct?
Obachan: Tha's right.
Saibancho: And to get to the scene of the crime, someone would have to pass by you?
Obachan: So you get it, do you Gramps? [She calls him 'occhan', short for 'oji-chan' ("grandpa"/"old man")]
Saibancho: ......
Please begin your testimony.
Naruhodo: (Fear the power of the old bag!)

>Press: "I was at..."

Oldbag: I can watch the gate and eat donuts at the same time!
Snipperwhapper!
Maya: "Snipperwhapper"...?
Old windbag is losing it, Nick.
Phoenix Why don't you raise an objection?
^
Obachan: I can keep watch and snack at the same time!
Don't ever come back again yesterday! [lit. "dare you to come the day before yesterday"]
Mayoi: "yesterday", "come back again"...?
She just contradicted herself, Naruhodo-kun.
Naruhodo: If you have an objection, then give it.

>Present: Steel Samurai Photo

Scene 3: More Testimony

>Press: Some
>Answer: Object

Scene 4: Even More Testimony

>End of Testimony

Maya: Old windbag sure has balls! Or... well, you know what I mean.
Phoenix: Old windbags have a way of skipping over important details, after all...
Or, for that matter, entirely forgetting them.
Maya: How convenient.
Phoenix: (Something for you to look forward to, perhaps?)
^
Mayoi: That oba-chan sure seems sure...
Naruhodo: Well, it's a trademark of old bags to get the wrong impressions,
or to forget things entirely.
Mayoi: No, I don't wanna...
Naruhodo: (She probably just pictured her future self...)

Technicality Note #3: By the way, the common fan nickname for Edgeworth in Japanese is 'Micchan', from Mitsurugi (like how we call him Edgey all the time). The first character to make it canon is, naturally, Oldbag here.

Scene 3: Court is Adjourned

>snip

Spoiler: Gyakuten no Tonosaman (Turnabout Samurai) Investigation Day 2
Scene 1: The Office

>snip

Scene 2: Detention

>snip

Scene 3: Studio Main -> Studio 1

>snip

Scene 4: Studio 2

>snippity

Scene 5: Employee Area

>snip

Scene 6: Dressing Room

Technicality Note #4: "Wolf Men Found on Mars?" Where was this from...? Ah, well. Too bad there's no reference in the Jap ver.

Scene 7: Studio Main

>snip

Scene 8: Dressing Room Again

Character Note #4: Sal seriously speaks in Internet language... like those folks on 2ch and Nico sites. Often times, people would add ([insert character here]) at the end of their sentences to show their intended emotions. Here, anyone can read them as the players do.

Culture Note #6: A lot of terms used online are psuedo-English. For example, in place of "Yeah... sux0rz", it's 'ge-chu' (lit. "get you" = "You got it!")

Scene 9: Studio 2 Again

>snippy

Scene 10: Studio Main

Oldbag uses 'hattaosu' ("taking someone down") here, as if she were a kid, when you talk to her about whoever. She's serious...

Scene 11: Employee Area

Technicality Note #5: Cody here is simply known as "kid", even after introducing himself.

Technicality Note #6: I notice a minor change here. When Cody calls Maya having a "manic fashion sense" and she becomes discouraged, Phoenix replies:

Phoenix: (You got to hand it to Maya, she's pretty sharp. And pretty mad...)
^
Naruhodo: (This kid is really sharp... like a knife.)
[TN: I use "sharp" here as the edged/pointed kind. It's a way to describe bratty kids.]

Scene 12: Studio Main

>snipping

Scene 13: Studio 2 Trailer

>Examine: Middle poster

Phoenix: A typical summer romance... with a samurai on a horse?
^
Naruhodo: A typical summer romance... about a samurai and his horse?
[TN: Oh, it's pretty much what you're thinking now.]

Technicality Note #7: The "Singing Samurai" is 武士節, pronounced 'bushibushi' here.

Scene 14: Dressing Room -> Studio 1

>snip

Scene 15: Trailer -> Studio 1 Entrance

Character Note #5: Presenting, Sarumage-don! It's like taking the title of a samurai and throwing in a monkey. He announces the time using the ancient-times 'gozaru' ending. (Get it? 'Cause 'saru' = "monkey" Harhar.)

Scene 16: Back to the Office

>Examine: Poster

Phoenix: (Let me guess... it's a suspense thriller?)
^
Naruhodo: (Ugh, the suspense is piling on...)

Scene 17: Studio Main Once More

>snippity

Scene 18: Employee Area Again

>Examine: Vending machines

The "Spaghetti in a Soda Can" is "Smooth Somen" here - but you dunk it down likewise.

Character Note #6: It's cute how Mia refers to Cody as 'yancha' (also can be 'yanchan'); basically, "rascal" in a light sense.

Scene 19: Dressing Room Again

>snippened

Scene 20: Back to the Trailer

Technicality Note #8: If you refuse Penny's offer, she starts blacking out... after repeating the same sentence over and over again in longer and longer forms. Poor girl.

Scene 21: Back to the Dressing Room

>snip! (Random Gumshoe stalking?)

Spoiler: Gyakuten no Tonosaman (Turnabout Samurai) Trial Day 2
Scene 1: Pre-Trial Meeting

>snip

Scene 2: Court is in Session

>snip

Scene 3: First Witness

>Press: Some
>Answer: I claim it, and claim it loud / No, it's impossible

Character Note #7: Edgeworth calls the monkey "Sarumage-kun". Phoenix doesn't feel like correcting him, though.

Scene 4: Court in Recess

>snip

Scene 5: Court Reconvenes

Tangerine crates.

Scene 6: Another Witness

>Intro

Character Note #7: Cody calls both Edgeworth and the judge "old man", and they reply with 'onii-san' and 'hige no oji-san', respectively. If Phoenix could face-palm, he'd do it.

>Present: Digital Camera @ "If I had..."

Phoenix: It's umm... a digital camera, Your Honor.
It's kind of a new sort of camera.
(How do I explain that!?)
^
Naruhodo: Uh... a "digital camera".
It's a new type of camera.
(And I have to explain that to him...)

Scene 7: Digging Deeper

>snip

Scene 8: The Truth

>snip

Scene 9: Court is Adjourned

>snip... whew!

Spoiler: Gyakuten no Tonosaman (Turnabout Samurai) Investigation Day 3
Scene 1: Wright & Co. Law Offices

>snip

Scene 2: Detention Center

>Present: Path to Glory

Will says how it's sort of telling him to "keep it up". How touching.

Scene 3: Studio Main Entrance

>snip

Scene 4: Studio 2 Entrance

>Examine: Gate number

Phoenix: And to think, if he hadn't brought that photograph in...
Maya: Don't get all teary eyed yet.
^
It's thanks to it that we made it through today...
Mayoi: Naruhodo-kun. It's a bit early to relax.

Scene 5: Employee Area

>Talk: Prosecutor Edgeworth

Maya: Wow! The fury of Edgeworth!
^
Mayoi: "Ha! Serves him right!"

>Present: Sleeping pill bottle

Maya: It must be tough being a detective, with all that responsibility...
Gumshoe: Oh, heh heh. *blush*
^
Mayoi: You're in big trouble, Detective...
Itonoko: ...*sigh*

Scene 6: Dressing Room

>snip

Scene 7: Studio Main

Yakuza, since we're in Japan.

Scene 8: Studio 2 Entrance

>snip

Scene 9: Trailer

>snip (Yay, Gumshoe! One of the times you actually do something right!)

Spoiler: Gyakuten no Tonosaman (Turnabout Samurai) Trial Day 3

>Intro to Testimony

Phoenix uses the same phrase he used with April May: literally, "catch someone by the tail"; figuratively, "catch someone in the act"; and from the localized, "catch someone with their pants down" (*ahem*).

Scene 2: Testimony

>Present: Plate @ "Sal and I..."
>Answer: You ate a boneless steak

In place of a T-bone steak, the Jap ver has honetsuki, "meat on the bone".

Scene 3: Battle of Wits

>snip

Scene 4: Final Pursuit

>snip

Scene 5: Announce the Truth

(You know that random guy named Manuel from Vasquez's flashback? It was originally someone who went by the Takumi. Where else have I heard that name...?)

Scene 6: Won the Case

>After presenting or not

Edgeworth: You don't waste any time gloating, do you?
^
Mitsurugi: ...T-that was sudden.

Finally done! Enjoy.

Edit: Finally done with edits, yes!

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Just wanted to poke my head in and say this is really cool, so keep it up.

Also, I found a Japanese page that compares some of the English scripts to the Japanese ones, if you're interested in seeing this from the other side.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/game/gyakusai/index.html (scroll down to 北米版解説 under 海外版攻略(北米 英語版))
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

1000% Knight

Oh wow, that's really cool. Gonna have to look through that tomorrow when I have time.

In the one about 1-1, he notes that Payne's objection is... special, so I suppose it wasn't anything special in the Japanese version. Now I'm interested in hearing Payne's brother's objection in GS5 (I assume it'll be similar)

Thanks, Bolt!
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bolt Storm wrote:
Just wanted to poke my head in and say this is really cool, so keep it up.

Also, I found a Japanese page that compares some of the English scripts to the Japanese ones, if you're interested in seeing this from the other side.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/game/gyakusai/index.html (scroll down to 北米版解説 under 海外版攻略(北米 英語版))

This takes out most of the excitement out of my project. :sadshoe:

But it is a very useful site. Thanks!

Bad Player wrote:
In the one about 1-1, he notes that Payne's objection is... special, so I suppose it wasn't anything special in the Japanese version.

Actually, he notes that it's an ear-piercing shriek that should best be heard once. Complete agreement.

And we are moving forward!

Spoiler: Case 1-4 Characters
Taiho-kun (Blue Badger)
Yukio Namakura (Robert Hammond)
Natsumi Oosawagi (Lotta Hart)
Gou Karuma (Manfred von Karma)
Haine Kotarou (Yanni Yogi)
Sayuri-san (Polly)
Misairu (Missile)

Spoiler: Gyakuten, soshite Sayonara (Turnabout Goodbyes) Investigation Day 1

>snip

Scene 2: Wright & Co. Law Offices

>snip

Character Note #1: The name "Gourdy" is just a rough translation from "Hyoushi", which comes from the term hyoutan = gourd.

Scene 4: Gourd Lake Entrance

>Talk: Defense request

Gumshoe: He kept saying "Wright, Wright, Wright" over and over.
Maya: ...
Nick?
I'm not sure that's a good sign.
Phoenix: Neither am I...
^
Itonoko: He kept saying "as expected of Wright" over and over!
Mayoi: ......
Naruhodo-kun.
What did he mean by "as expected"?
Naruhodo: ...Dunno.

Scene 5: Police Department

Technicality Note #1: The detective doing image training is saying something along the lines of "Your mama's crying, you scumbag... Spit it out and give her a break..." It's the same in the Eng ver, but they cut out some parts.

Scene 6: Gourd Lake Beach

Culture Note #1: Instead of Samurai Dogs, there are Tonosa-manjuu. (Manjuu is a type of bun-like dessert usually filled with sweet bean or such.)

>Examine: Popper
>Answer: Leave it

Maya: Aww, listen to your inner child a little, Nick!
Phoenix: (Maybe if your outer child would be quiet for just a moment, Maya!)
^
Mayoi: ...I was looking forward to seeing your true self... [lit. "living like your true nature"]
Naruhodo: (What are you talking about...?)

>Answer: Take it

Scene 7: Boat Rental Shop

Culture Note #2: Phoenix notes that the shop is closed because of the murder, rather than it being Christmas. (This is more due to a cultural gap. The Japanese may celebrate Christmas, but it isn't nearly as big a holiday as say, Goldenweek.)

Scene 8: Gourd Lake Woods

>Examine: Fire pit

Maya: I was just wondering, why are camping pots and pans made of aluminum.
Phoenix: ...
They didn't talk about that in any of the law books.
Maya: So, there's no law saying they have to be made out of aluminum, then!
Phoenix: (I'm not having this conversation...)
^
Why is it that when you're famished, outdoor cooking kits are so dented? [TN: She uses the terms ペコ and ヘコ here. The first can mean "famished" or "dented", hence this pun.]
Naruhodo: .........
That wasn't mentioned in the Compendium of Laws. [TN: He mentions a particular compendium, Roppou Zensho, the Book of the Six Codes. It's an integral part of Japanese law.]
Mayoi: Then, there's no law saying that has to be!
Naruhodo: (She just came out with that from nowhere...)

>Examine: Camera (w/ popper)

Character Note #2: Lotta Hart has a Kansai dialect - by which people from metropolitan Tokyo would call a "southerner". (Kansai people have their own ways of talking, but their speech patterns aren't as exaggerated with expressions like in the Eng ver.) She goes to Osaka University, apparently.

Culture Note #3: The stereotype for Kansai people is that they're especially stingy, but Lotta says it's just her.

Scene 9: Police Department

>snip

Scene 10: Gourd Lake Woods

>snip

Scene 11: Gourd Lake Beach

Character Note #3: Maya calls Larry as how Mia did: Yappari-san. It was at first localized as "Harry", but then they stopped using that joke. (And instead of Kiyance, it's Kazumi.)

Technicality Note #2: Larry mentions that Edgeworth comes from a wealthy family. (That wealth may come from his father being a famous defense attorney, after all.)

>Talk: Edgeworth

Maya: But Mr. Edgeworth is a prosecuting attorney!
Butz: What? Edgey's got a proboscis on his knee!?
Maya: No, no--he's a "prosecuting attorney."
That's like the total opposite of a defense lawyer!
^
Mayoi: Mr. Edgeworth is a "prosecutor"! [TN: "kenji"]
Yahari: Who's offering? [TN: "kenjiru" = to offer]
Mayoi: Not that kenji! Prosecutor!
Like the "opposite" of a defense attorney!

Scene 12: Police Department

>snip (Gummy's busy.)

Scene 13: Back to Office

>snip (Lightbulb)

Scene 14: Grossberg Law Offices

>snippity

Scene 15: Police Department

>Intro

Phoenix: Just... I mean, she did see something. There's nothing I can do about that.
I can't go around covering up evidence!
Gumshoe: Er...
You trying to say something about the way I do my job?
Phoenix: No sir!
^
Naruhodo: She saw what she saw. There's no helping it.
I can't go around hiding that, right? [TN: Phoenix worded this statement rather vaguely. He could mean himself trying something, or it being impossible to stop.]
Itonoko: Ooooh...
...That's a play on words!
Naruhodo: What? No!

Scene 16: Detention Center

>Present: Misty Fey's photo
>Talk: All
>Answer: Of course we will

Phoenix: Ah, who could have guessed this day would come?
Edgeworth: Not me.
^
Naruhodo: And finally I hear those words.
Edgeworth: I never expected this day to come, really.

>Answer: Of course we won't

Phoenix: Sorry, charley! No way!
Edgeworth: Wright...
Maya: Nick...!?
Phoenix: H-hey, don't look so serious, guys!
I was kidding!
Just a little joke!
Edgeworth: There was nothing little...
Maya: ...or joke-like about it!
Phoenix: (I thought it was funny...)
Maya: Nick! Do it over!
Phoenix: Yes, Your Honor.
How could I refuse you, Edgeworth?
Edgeworth: Thank you, Wright.
^
Naruhodo: Nope, sorry!
Mitsurugi: Naruhodou...
Mayoi: Naruhodo-kun...
Naruhodo: H-hey, don't be so serious!
I was just kidding!
I was trying to lighten up the mood with a little joke...
Mitsurugi: It wasn't little...
Mayoi: Or a joke at all!
Naruhodo: (S-she kicked me...)
Mayoi: Now do it over!
Naruhodo: Yes, Your Honor.
I couldn't refuse you, Mitsurugi.
Mitsurugi: Sorry to trouble you, Naruhodou. [TN: He uses "sumanai", but it's meant more as a "thank you" here.]

Scene 17: Police Department

>snip

Spoiler: Gyakuten, soshite Sayonara (Turnabout Goodbyes) Trial Day 1
Scene 1: Defendant Lobby

>snip

Scene 2: Court Begins

Character Note #4: Von Karma; you know you're dealing with someone high and mighty when he uses 'wagahai' to refer to himself.

Scene 3: Gumshoe on the Stand

>snip

Scene 4: Recess

>snip

Scene 5: Reconvened

>snip

Scene 6: First Testimony

>snip

Scene 7: A Single Statement

>snip

Scene 8: More Details

>Press:

Phoenix: So? How could you see Edgeworth!?
Lotta: Now, just hold your horses for a second!
You hasty Yankee types'd never find a gal where I'm from.
Judge Defense attorneys have trouble with that as it is.
Phoenix: (Nobody loves me...)
^
Naruhodo: Then how did you see Mitsurugi?
Natsumi: Hey, just wait. I'm still talking.
Be patient, ya hasty guy!
Saibancho: You are rather impatient, Defense.
Naruhodo: (I shouldn't have pressed here...)

>Press: "Still, I brought..."
>Answer: Press further
>Present: Camera @ "The camera was..."
>Present: Newspaper Article
>Answer: I have proof

Phoenix: (How can they so casually toss aside this eviden... Oh. Whoops. Wrong evidence.)
^
Naruhodo: (If I don't understand it myself, I can't make others understand!)

>Present: Camera

Scene 9: Final Testimony for the Day

>Press: "I'm an investigative..."

Technicality Note #3: UFO is pronounced 'yuu foo', so Lotta pronouncing it like that isn't that odd.

>Press: "Imagine what a..."

Culture Note #4: About the local news; it's not Bigfoot that was sighted, but a mountain witch. (Ironically, 'yamanba' also refers to a fashion fad for girls in the early 2000s (blonde hair, dark make-up, platform boots, etc.)

Scene 10: The Enlarged Photo

>snip

Scene 11: Adjourned

>Intro

Phoenix
(Yeah, I'm sure she'll be happy to hear you say that, Edgeworth. Jerk!)
^
Naruhodo: (...Can't this guy be more frank with himself?)

Spoiler: Gyakuten, soshite Sayonara (Turnabout Goodbyes) Investigation Day 2
Scene 1: Maya in Detention

>snip

Scene 2: Gumshoe at the Woods

>snippy

Scene 3: Maya out of Detention / at the Office

>snip

Scene 4: Gourd Lake Woods with Maya

>Talk: Today's trial

Lotta: I'll be fine the next time I witness a murder!
Maya: Right!
Phoenix: (You mean the FIRST time you witness a murder...)
^
Natsumi: I'll be fine when I get to witness a real murder!
Mayoi: Right!
Naruhodo: (I wouldn't want to witness it.)

Scene 5: Larry at the Beach

>snip

Scene 6: Police Department's Secret Weapons

>Examine: Head Detective

He's playing a game of shogi, which has just quite a few differences from chess.

>Talk: Secret Weapons
[TN: Let's just say we took it all; easier for us.]

Scene 7: Missile at the Beach

>Present: Missile

Maya: There's a "big boss" in charge of your hot dog stand?
Nick! Maybe the stand is a front for a mafia money laundering scheme!!!
Phoenix: Maya...
I think you should probably try to look a little sorry about what happened.
Maya: Oh, right!
Butz: Heh... My poor dogs...
^
Mayoi: If there's a "boss" behind this manjuu stand,
He sure must have a lot of underlings.
Naruhodo: Mayoi-chan.
Shouldn't you look just a bit sorry?
Mayoi: Yes, sir!
Yahari: *sob*... my Tonosamanjuu...

Scene 8: Fishing by the Camera

>Present: Metal Detector

Lotta: I'm not sure that's going to pick up Gourdy, though.
Unless he's been eating people's watches or spare change or something.
^
Natsumi: Hyoushi's no gunner, nor a hijacker.
How're ya gonna find him with a metal detector?

Scene 9: Air Tank in the Bushes / Confronting Larry

>snip

Scene 10: Confronting Lotta

>Talk: Case Information

Maya: Someone should whip that Butz into shape.
^
Mayoi: What a troublemaker.
[TN: The joke here is that she uses the term 'meiwaku'. I don't know if the dev team thought that far ahead, but Mei is Franziska's Japanese name. Coincidence? As for the localization, they were already expecting someone with a whip in a later game, so that's no coincidence.]

Scene 11: Crazy Old Man

Character Note #5: The old man is just called ojisan. He calls Maya and Phoenix, Megumi and Yukihiro, respectively. And, he's running a soba shop called "Longevity Retreat". (And he even calls Gumshoe "Tamio-kun".)

Character Note #6: Good morning, Sayuri-san! She usually says "Ohayo! Ohayo!" ("Good Morning!") and her name, "Sayuri san"!

Technicality Note #4: Although he uses 三返り (lit. "three flips") as the technique to making soba, 'mikaeri' can also mean "reward" or "compensation".

>Talk: Pasta shop

Uncle: You'll be the best pasta wrangler the west has ever seen!
Maya: P-pasta wrangler? The west? I-isn't pasta from Italy?
Uncle: Meg!
Maya: Y-yes!
Uncle: You know the best pasta's always been made west of the Rockies, don't you?
Phoenix: R-right, of course. Everybody knows that.
^
Ojisan: You two are going to become splendid chefs! [TN: 'itamae' usually refers to high-end Japanese cuisine.]
Mayoi: Chefs...? Don't you mean like sushi chefs?
Ojisan: Megumi!
Mayoi: Y-yes?
Ojisan: Didn't you say you were gonna be soba chefs?
Naruhodo: O-of course, we did.

Scene 12: About the DL-6 Case

>snip

Scene 13: The Records Room

>snip

Spoiler: Gyakuten, soshite Sayonara (Turnabout Goodbyes) Trial Day 2
>snip

Scene 2: Cross-examination Into a Trap

>snip

Scene 3: A Guilty Verdict?

>snip

Scene 4: Short Recess

>snip

Scene 5: Larry on the Stand

>Present: Lotta's Testimony @ "So after I..."

Butz: I'm a witness, see? I'm like a customer here!
So you got to treat me nice and stuff, okay!?
^
Yahari: I'm a witness, a witness! Like a guest!
You gotta stop being so casual with me!
[TN: The funny part is that he later does become less casual with him.]

Scene 6: More From Larry

>Intro

Phoenix: (I can't believe I'm continuing this charade...)
^
Naruhodo: (Whoa, that was too close...)

>Present: Lake Photo / Lotta's Deposition
>Answer: Larry's wrong

Butz: Get used to disappointment!!!
^
Yahari: Think it over agaaaaain!

>Answer: Larry's Right
>Present: Lake Photo #2
>Present: Pistol

Scene 7: Turnabout to the Truth

>snip

Scene 8: Calling Forth the Defendant

>snip

Scene 9: Adjourned

>snip!

Spoiler: Gyakuten, soshite Sayonara (Turnabout Goodbyes) Investigation Day 3
Scene 1: The Office

>Talk: The class trial

Culture Note #5: The Japanese have longer school years, hence class being in session during the summer. It was summer that day for Nick's class trial too.

Scene 2: Detention Center

>snip

Scene 3: Gourd Lake Entrance

>Intro

Gumshoe: I got so worked up, I snapped my tie in half!
^
Itonoko: I ended up biting my ties to pieces!

Scene 4: Lake Beach

>Intro

Maya: I guess Larry's been too busy with the trial to show up for work...
^
Mayoi: He does seem to be a part-time worker...

Scene 5: Boat Rental

>snip (What is Mr. *ahem* doing here anyway?)

Scene 6: Caretaker's Shack

>Examine: Pictures of fish

Phoenix: "You shoulda seen the one that got away!"
Maya: Except the one that got away from us was the caretaker! And we did see him!
Phoenix: (Why do I feel like we're having two different conversations here?)
^
Naruhodo: ...Well, in this case, it seems the "boast" is more about "self-satisfaction".
Mayoi: Wow, really?
Naruhodo: (That's not something to admire...)

Scene 7: Detention Center

>snip

Scene 8: Grossberg's Office

>snip

Scene 9: Records Room

>snip... (Ouch! My heart!)

Spoiler: Gyakuten, soshite Sayonara (Turnabout Goodbyes) Trial Day 3
Scene 1: Defendant Lobby

>snip

Scene 2: Court Begins

>snip

Scene 3: Returned Witness

>snip

Scene 4: The Pet Parrot

>Answer: No, maybe not.

Karma But this is the first time I've heard of men grasping at macaws! Hah!
^
Karuma: I've heard of busy men who would "borrow a cat's paws"...
But there actually exists a foolish man who would ask for a parrot.
[TN: This expression means, when someone is too busy with or stressed over something, he/she would accept anyone's help.]

Scene 5: Polly on the Stand

Character Note #7: When the judge first talks to Polly, he simplifies his manner of speaking, typed in katakana as if he altered his voice.

Technicality Note #5: Polly's testimony is even simpler in Japanese. All she says is "Ohayo, ohayo!" ("Good morning!")

>Press: "Hello! Hello!"
>Answer: "What's your name?"
>Answer: Of course
>Present: DL-6 Case File
>Answer: "Suspect Data"

Character Note #8: Polly Jenkins was originally Sayuri Matsushita (or something like it).

Character Note #9: Karma's granddaughter has a dog named Ryuu (like Ryuuichi).

>Press: "Hello! Hello!"
>Answer: "What's the safe number?"
>Answer: Actually, it does
>Present: DL-6 Case File
>Answer: "Case Summary"

Character Note #10: Karma set his ATM card PIN to 4649 because it reads 'yoroshiku' = "Nice to meet you". >:D

Scene 6: Yogi's Confession

>snip

Scene 7: Edgeworth's Objection

>snip

Scene 8: Recess

>snip...

Scene 9: Reconvened

>snip

Scene 10: Final Testimony

>Present: DL-6 Case File @ "A moment later..."
>Answer: "Victim Data"
or
>Present: DL-6 Photo @ "A moment later..."
>Present: Bullet hole

>Answer: Yes

Judge: "Not meaning any harm"...
and "not doing any harm" are two differnt things, Mr. Wright.
^
Saibancho: "Having no ill will"...
is worse than "having ill will" [in this case].

>Present: DL-6 Photo

Scene 11: Moment of Truth

>Answer: I have an objection

Character Note #11: I may have mentioned it before, but Mia's spirit speaks only using katakana. It's to get that feeling of otherworldly activity. (It's also a bit hard for me to read at first glance...)

>Answer: The murderer didn't need it
>Answer: Say it now
>Answer: Show evidence

Phoenix: (I'm really not sure how I've managed to make it this far...)
^
Naruhodo: (How long am I going to keep up this struggle on the edge?)

>Present: Metal Detector
>Present: DL-6 Bullet

During von Karma's breakdown, his voice turned demonic (written in katakana, to show that it's somewhat altered). But by the flashback, it's back to normal.

Scene 12: Victory!

>Intro

Character Note #12: It's funny watching Edgeworth try to fit in with the crowd. He even copies Lotta's Kansai dialect for one line.

Butz: (That's the suit that questioned me!)
(When he says treat... that's not police-talk for prison food, right? Right?)
^
Yahari: (That's the guy who questioned me earlier!)
(By "his treat", he doesn't mean katsudon, does he?) [TN: katsudon is a simple breaded pork over rice; one of the most simplest dishes... and sometimes served during interrogations to "break" the suspect (Thanks, Ash!)]

Edgeworth: Then he saw the money lying there... and the rest is history.
Butz: I never was good at History!
^
Mitsurugi: And then, well... he reached out his hand... [TN: the term here is 伸びる, "to reach, to stretch, to prolong"]
Yahari: Gosh, it really drew out... [TN: he's talking about this "incident"]

Edgeworth: Well, I'd call you a goody-two-shoes to the extreme.
Butz: Yeah! And you get worked up too easily, too!
^
Mitsurugi: I'd say you're a easily moved and good-natured person.
Yahari: And you really push your luck sometimes!

Scene 13: Epilogue

>snip...

Scene 14: Credits

Larry mentions working at a tofu shop... because of Miyuki. Of course, she's gone to Hawaii.

And we are finally done! ...Oh, wait. There's one more case. Oh boy...

Edit: Ah, gosh, finally done with edits. Yes...!

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

迷探偵

Quote:
(By "his treat", he doesn't mean katsudon, does he?) [TN: katsudon is a simple breaded pork over rice; one of the most simplest dishes... and sometimes served as prison food]

Katsudon isn't prison food, but 'questioning' food. The TV/movie cliche is that the police will offer a suspect katsudon during the examination / interrogation to break them down (they might also talk about your poor mother). (c.f. the opening part of the first episode of Odoru Daisousasen, where Aoshima is doing everything according to the 'rules')

Ash wrote:
Quote:
(By "his treat", he doesn't mean katsudon, does he?) [TN: katsudon is a simple breaded pork over rice; one of the most simplest dishes... and sometimes served as prison food]

Katsudon isn't prison food, but 'questioning' food. The TV/movie cliche is that the police will offer a suspect katsudon during the examination / interrogation to break them down (they might also talk about your poor mother). (c.f. the opening part of the first episode of Odoru Daisousasen, where Aoshima is doing everything according to the 'rules')

Corrected and credit given. I LOL'd when the music came up. And he even dresses like Gumshoe! (Well, Gumshoe dresses like a regular detective anyway...)

迷探偵

Actually, Gumshoe is dressed after Aoshima. Odoru Daisousasen was/is a huge hit (the series officially ended last year with the last movie) and Aoshima's distinctive green parka has become 'standard wear' for fictional police detectives. So the 'regular detective' image is actually based on Aoshima. If you watch a Japanese detective/police drama, there's a big chance you'll see someone wearing an Aoshima coat in the background.

(actually, I have one too...)

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
- Here's a missed joke:

Mayoi: Wait a sec!
Mr. Edgeworth is a "prosecutor"! [TN: "kenji"]

This joke wasn't missed, it was changed to Larry mishearing "Edgeworth is a prosecuting attorney" as "Edgeworth has a proboscis on his knee." Which makes no sense, but then again, it's Larry.

Ash wrote:
Actually, Gumshoe is dressed after Aoshima. Odoru Daisousasen was/is a huge hit (the series officially ended last year with the last movie) and Aoshima's distinctive green parka has become 'standard wear' for fictional police detectives. So the 'regular detective' image is actually based on Aoshima. If you watch a Japanese detective/police drama, there's a big chance you'll see someone wearing an Aoshima coat in the background.

(actually, I have one too...)

That explains a lot. This wasn't the first time I've ever seen an episode of it, but it's been so long since that I might as well have not known. I just didn't expect it to start off the trend.

AthenaCat wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
- Here's a missed joke:

Mayoi: Wait a sec!
Mr. Edgeworth is a "prosecutor"! [TN: "kenji"]

This joke wasn't missed, it was changed to Larry mishearing "Edgeworth is a prosecuting attorney" as "Edgeworth has a proboscis on his knee." Which makes no sense, but then again, it's Larry.

When I say "missed joke", I mean it in the context of jokes that are absent in the localization. I know exactly where it was placed. Actually, I could have thrown in any 'kenji' in there and it wouldn't have mattered. I just chose a verb instead of a noun.

[post for removal]

Thread bump and updates

Because life has not been treating me well as of late, I've gone on a long hiatus from this project. However, I bring good news: Gyakuten Saiban in English is not dead, and will recommence shortly! However, I've decided that my work here needs a little organization.

- First off, I think I'm being a bit too picky about how the wording is altered to fit the localization. Some of these changes are especially minor, and I don't need to pick at every little thing. However, when it comes to unique cultural references, I'm still keeping an eye out and taking notes on them.

- Next, although there isn't anything particularly wrong with how I've formatted and outlined the different "scenes", it's often not broken up enough during the court segments and can get confusing to follow. So, I will be adding game notes along side those I've been taking, for your convenience.

- I will try to keep around 4 or 5 different spoiler tags in a single post, but if a case is just that long (like RftA), I may have to break it up. These posts can get incredibly long otherwise, and it's bad on my already decaying eyesight.

- I will try, but can't guarantee, to keep a weekly update schedule, give or take a few days. Hopefully, this next school year won't be too hard on me. It's been tough to focus on academics lately.

- All in all, I look forward to moving on to the second and third games soon. Since the script to Apollo's game is currently unavailable, I'm not sure how much of it I can get through, but I'll decide when I get to it. The same goes for Investigations.

And with that said, please enjoy. If you have any questions on this project, feel free to post them here or just PM me.

I plead with the mods to let me double or triple post in this thread in times of scarcity. It's to ensure the quality of my submissions - er, so to speak.

迷探偵

Looking forward to upcoming posts ^^

Oh, I wrote my BA thesis on the translation of Japanese role language, using Trial & Tribulations as a case study (male/female language, 'old men's language' and Kansai-dialect to be precise). It's not exactly what you're doing here, but would you be interested in reading it?

Wow, this is incredible! Thank you so much for doing this; I'm really enjoying it and feel like I'm getting a lot out of it. Cannot wait til RftA! Again- really really appreciate the time and effort you're putting in. Thanks a million.

The Reprise from the Ashes *cough* is ready, Your Honor.

Spoiler: Case 1-5 Characters
Akane Houdzuki (Ema Skye)
Tomoe Houdzuki (Lana Skye)
Kaiji Ganto (Damon Gant)
Kyousuke Zaimon (Jake Marshall)
Kyouka Ichinotani (Angel Starr)
Michio Tadashiki (Bruce Goodman)
Susumu Harabai (Mike Meekins)
Naoto Zaimon (Neil Marshall)
Jou Aokage (Joe Darke)

Spoiler: Recurring Characters
Ryuuichi Naruhodou (Phoenix Wright)
Reiji Mitsurugi (Miles Edgeworth)
Keisuke Itonokogiri (Dick Gumshoe)
Saibancho (Judge)

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 1 Part 1
Scene 1: A New Partner

>Intro

*Culture Note #1: Like how it's customary to serve coffee to guests, the Japanese generally offer tea instead. To those unfamiliar, Ema calling Phoenix the "tea boy" may sound a bit odd.

>Talk: Sci. Investigator

Phoenix: Still, it's good to have a goal. Albeit a very unusual one.
^
Naruhodo: In any case, even if it's only an enthusiast's dream... it's still a solid goal.

Scene 2: Meeting the Client

>Intro

*Technicality Note #1: It's simply translated as "Chief Prosecutor", but Lana's position isn't the same as that of the person who White had called, back in case 1-2. Here, she introduces herself as the "Head of Prosecutors". The other man (presumably an old geezer) is the "Head of the Prosecutor's Office". The two have completely different jobs, but we only get to hear a nutshell from Lana.

>Talk: The victim

Phoenix: (This case gets worse and worse with everything I learn.)
^
Naruhodo: (Oh man... this is getting outrageous... once again.)

>Talk: Relation to Mia

Lana: She was strong... She'd do anything to become a defense attorney. Anything.
That... was probably why she was attracted to me.
Phoenix: E-excuse me!?
Ema: Intellectually attracted! Lana was top of her class in school.
Lana: I was the best there was.
Phoenix: Oh...
Ema: I'm doing pretty good in school too, by the way!
Phoenix: (It sounds a bit different when Ema says it...)
^
Tomoe: She'd do anything to become a defense attorney... it was that sort of intensity.
Without a doubt... That's why she became close to me.
Naruhodo: What do you mean?
Akane: My sister was the top in her class. The very best among law students...
Tomoe: I was rather excellent.
Naruhodo: ...Ah.
Akane: Oh! By the way, I'm doing an excellent job too!
Naruhodo: (It sounds completely different when they talk about the same thing.)

Scene 3: Crime Scene Shenanigans

>Intro

Phoenix: (Funny that my first visit to the Prosecutor's Office should be like this...)
^
Naruhodo: (Thinking about it, this is my first visit to the Prosecutor's Office...)

*Character Note #1: Marshall uses lots of Engrish and Spainish. I'm sure you can guess which terms are direct translations.

Phoenix: (Marshall? Looks more like a sheriff to me...)
^
Naruhodo: (Zaimon... so that's this American's name.)

Phoenix: Was that uh, hombre, a friend of yours?
Ema: Uh... kind of... sort of... Yeah. He's a detective.
Phoenix: (Who thinks he's a sheriff from the Wild West it seems.)
^
Naruhodo: Um, do you know that space alie... foreigner?
Akane: Huh? ...Uh, yes. Sort of...
Naruhodo: (So, he's an investigator... or rather, a sheriff.)

>Examine: Entrance

Ema: Maybe you know... Was Mr. Relativity, German? Or was he British?
Phoenix: Mr. Relativity? Are you sure that was his name?
^
Akane: Which country was Mr. Relativity from?
Naruhodo: ...I dunno.
[TN: I think Nick is questioning the name she uses, rather than feigning ignorance.]

>Examine: Security Sign

*Culture Note #2: Ema mistakes the word "security" as a type of tea, and thus thinks it's a tea house. It's a common error with students studying foreign languages. The localization makes Ema weirder than she actually is.

Phoenix: (Too bad they don't have a test for common sense.)

Naruhodo: (What grade did you get on English...)

>Examine: Wallet

Phoenix: (I guess I've got to be on my toes from now on...)
^
Naruhodo: (Somehow... I feel so spent.)

*Character Note #2: Angel refers to herself by 'okyou-san', from her title "Geromamire no Okyou" = spew-covered sutra. (A sutra, in this case, is a collection of sermon teachings in Buddhism. Her title implies that her interrogations reveal truths both enlightening and disgusting.)

*Lunchland Specials! Note #1:
Half n' Half = tori sobaro (minced chicken)
Crunchy Goodness = nori seaweed :P

Scene 3.5: Sneaking into Someone's Office

>Intro

Ema: This... this is quite the place.
Phoenix: You can say that again.
^
Akane: ...It's so stylish [like it's joking with us].
Naruhodo: Yeah, in a hateful way.
[TN: shareru can mean both "to dress stylishly" or "to joke"]

>Examine: Couch

Ema: Ooh! What a soft and comfy sofa!
It makes you want to say, "sofa, so good!"
Ema: "Sofa" ... "So far" ...?
Phoenix: Yeah, I got it.
(I'm glad she's not an aspiring comedienne...)
^
Akane: Kya, so soft and plush! It feels so nice.
The moment you sit down, you just get a "sofa~" kind of feeling!
Naruhodo: ............
Akane: A "sofa~" kind of feeling.
Naruhodo: I heard you the first time.
(This girl is more troubled than I thought.)

>Examine: Bouquet/Statue

Ema: Wow! What an amazing bouquet!
Phoenix: No kidding. Hey, there's a card on it...
"Back from the Dead -- Wendy"
("Wendy?" ... I've heard that name somewhere before.)
Ema: And beside it... A giant Steel Samurai!
Wow, I want one!
Phoenix: Huh? There's something written on the bottom of his foot.
"Between a rock and a hard place. -- Wendy"
^
Akane: Wow. These are some gorgeous flowers.
Naruhodo: They sure are. ...Oh, there's a card with them.
"Revival from Death -- Kaoru"
(Kaoru... Where have I heard that before?)
Akane: Beside it... is a giant Tonosaman!
Ah, I want one.
Naruhodo: ...Oh, there's something written under his foot.
"Deep Distress -- Kaoru"

>Examine: Window

Phoenix: (That's handy to know...)
^
Naruhodo: (...So, what was the point again?)

>Examine: Chessboard

Ema: The Red Knights have surrounded the Blue Pawn...
Phoenix: Huh?
Ema: Those horses are mounted knights. Their swords have really sharp "edges!"
And check out that poor pawn, his head is kind of spiky... Kind of reminds me of you.
^
Akane: The red 'knights' have ganged up and surrounded the blue 'pawn'.
Naruhodo: ...What are you talking about?
Akane: The 'knight' is a "warrior who carries a sword". The 'pawn' is a "foot soldier".
[TN: Btw, she uses the English terms and then explains it in Japanese. Fyi, sword = tsurugi; foot soldier = hohei. As in: Mitsurugi and Naruhodou]

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 1 Part 2
Scene 3 (again): Crime Scene Shenanigans

>Present: Attorney's Badge

*Lunchland Specials! Note #2: Pickle Supreme = pickled daikon radish

>Talk: Angel

Angel: I come here every day to sell lunches.
I import only the freshest and best from the Far East.
For some reason, the box lunches are a hit here.
Ema: Why not make the lunches here rather than import them?
Angel: Did you say something?
Ema: N-no...
Angel: Only true connoisseurs can understand...
The kind you can only tell someone who has tried General Tso's Trilobite lunch set.
Ema: Ah... Nevermind... You win.
Phoenix: (I don't even want to appreciate part of a trilobite's flavor.)
^
Kyouka: ............
A woman's life in the city gives birth to a folk tale or two.
A child such as yourself wouldn't know.
Akane: O-oh.
Kyouka: But if you catch the scent of authentic bento lunches, you're welcome to visit again.
Akane: I-I have!
Naruhodo: (*sigh* ...Something's fishy here.)

*Lunchland Specials! Note #3: Because Angel doesn't name that bento in Japanese, I'm not sure what kind of fish it is... but it does look tasty.

Scene 4: (Back to) High Prosecutor's Office

>Examine: Trophy

*Technicality Note #2: The "K" on the shield originally stood for kenji = prosecutor. The title itself is Engrish: "Kenji of the Year". Either way, it is an embarrassing title.

>Examine: Bouquet

Ema: And beside it... A giant Steel Samurai!
Wow, I want one!
Phoenix: Huh? There's something written on the bottom of his foot.
^
Akane: Beside it... is a giant Tonosaman!
Wow, I want one! Prosecutor Mitsurugi-san is a fan too, huh?
Naruhodo: No way. ...Oh, there's something written under his foot.

>Examine: Bookshelf

Phoenix: Odd... I thought Edgeworth wasn't good with heights.
Ema: He must have someone get them for him.
Phoenix: (Strange... Why did I just picture Detective Gumshoe?)
Ema: He must study these case reports so closely...
He's so cool!
Phoenix: You wouldn't say that if you saw him sweating bullets up on that ladder.
^
Naruhodo: ...That's odd. He doesn't do well with earthquakes.
I don't think he'd use these dangerously unstable bookshelves.
Akane: Oh, it's fine!
During a really big quake, the more they cave in, the sturdier they become!
Whoever Prosecutor Mitsurugi-san calls for must have some amazing power.
Naruhodo: (Why did I just think of Detective Itonoko...?)
But, wouldn't those files all come crashing down during a quake?
Akane: Oh, it's fine!
They're packed in so tightly that they won't slip out that easily!
I guess there's nothing odd about it after all.

>Outro

*Culture Note #3: It's customary in Japan for police officers or other civil service workers to refer to themselves using the term 'honkan' while on duty. The term itself usually means "one's official post or line of work", but can be distinguished by the location of the accent.

Scene 5: The Not Busy Detective

>Examine: Bulletin Board

Phoenix: The usual wanted posters are hanging up on the bulletin board here.
<<Do you know this face!? If you do, dial 911!>>
Ema: You know, Mr. Wright, I've always thought it was kind of funny...
I've never seen anyone who looked like the people in these posters.
They hardly even look human!
(She has a point...)
^
Naruhodo: The usual wanted posters are up on the bulletin board.
<<When you see this face, and you go 'ding!', dial 110>>
Akane: But you know... the faces on these posters...
don't really make me go 'ding!'
(She does have a point... but somehow the thought fails to excite me.)

>Examine: Police Sign/Symbol

*Culture Note #4: The Metropolitan Police Department in Japan is represented by five pointed star as shown on this page. It's been edited out in the English ver.

Ema: I always get excited when I come to the police station.
Phoenix: Why is that?
Ema: It just feels like I've jumped into a movie.
Phoenix: Huh?
Ema: You know, with all the police and criminals.
Phoenix: W-well, I don't know if this is all that exciting.
Ema: Sure it is! Look at those two officers over there.
They're probably talking about the latest bust!
Funny, I thought they were talking about the weather.
^
Akane: Naruhodou-san! Do you know the meaning behind the police symbol?
Naruhodo: No, what is it?
Akane: I once thought this place was a space station.
Naruhodo: Huh?
Akane: I was still a little girl then. See, doesn't it look kinda like one?
Naruhodo: Uh... no. I don't see it.
Akane: But I realized "that's impossible" last year.
After all, it says 'police station'. A station for police.
Realize that sooner. They look nothing alike.

>Examine: Campaign Banner

Ema: I wonder if they'll be selling fingerprinting sets.
Phoenix: I don't think it's that kind of campaign.
Ema: What family wouldn't want a set at home?
It's good for finding out who snuck into the cookie jar.
Phoenix: I think most families can figure that out without the extra help.
^
Akane: Will they be selling luminol bottles?
Naruhodo: It's not a bargain sale.
Akane: I think every family would do better with some.
...in case a murder happens.
Naruhodo: I think they'd buy something else in that case.

>Examine: Police Car

Ema: Well, I think they're designed after a panda!
Phoenix: A panda...?
Ema: Not that I have scientific proof. It's just a theory.
Phoenix: Um... do you mind me asking how you came up with that theory?
Ema: It was when I was on a school trip! I saw a patrol car and it came to me!
We had just been at the zoo, see...
What about zebras? Or did they not have those at your zoo?
^
Akane: I think they're designed after rice balls!
Naruhodo: R-rice balls...?
Akane: Well, I don't have any scientific basis for it.
Naruhodo: ...So, how did you come up with that?
Akane: I was on a school trip when it came to me!
...during lunch.
Next time you visit pandas at a zoo, take a sandwich with you instead.

>Outro

Gumshoe: That'd be Officer Marshall.
He was appointed directly by the Chief of Police...
Phoenix: Officer Marshall... Is he some kind of Wild West sheriff or something?
Gumshoe: No, Jake Marshall's just a regular officer...
From West LA.
Phoenix: For a moment there, I wasn't sure.
^
Itonoko: Officer Zaimon.
He was directly appointed by the Chief of Police... No helping that.
Naruhodo: Mr. Simon... so is he American?
Itonoko: No, it's Zaimon. Kyousuke Zaimon.
He's Japanese, through and through.
Naruhodo: Eh! I-is that right?

Scene 6: Accessing the Crime Scene

>Present: Letter of Introduction

Phoenix: (Great, Detective Gumshoe. I owe you one...)
^
Naruhodo: (Why do I have to take his embarrassing mistake!?)

>Examine: Trunk

Ema: Note to self: for deductive reasoning, go to Edgeworth, not Wright.
^
Akane: Note: this is where the "difference" between Attorney Naruhodou and Prosecutor Mitsurugi lies.

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 1 Part 1
Scene 1: Waiting in the Lobby

>Skip

Scene 2: Court in Session

>First Witness: Angel Starr

*Lunchland Specials! Note #3:
Caviar lunch = caviar bento
Fiesta Bowl = furikake (grounded dried food over rice, usually fish)
The Fingerprint lunch = sesame

Judge: Hmm... It seems rather cut and dry, doesn't it?
Well, Mr. Wright?
Phoenix: Uh... I can't agree on principle, Your Honor.
^
Saibancho: Hmm... It seems all but conclusive.
What do you say, Defense?
Naruhodo: ...Please don't ask me for consent.

Scene 3: First Testimony

>Press: "When I sensed..."

Judge: I have no idea what that means.
^
Saibancho: I can't even begin to imagine.

>Press: "Then, through a..."

Angel: I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!
Judge: That... That was inspiring!
Ema: I believe I've heard that tag line elsewhere... you could cry plagiarism?
^
Kyouka: Smooth and round, soft inside. And deep-fried to a delicious crisp!
Saibancho: T...there it is! The Sutra's gourmet ballad!
Akane: ...Note: "Novice attorneys" may be treated as "new rice".
[TN: Here, "novice" is the same term as "new rice"]

>Press: "The chief prosecutor..."

Angel: I'm sure it was easier than boiling an egg for my egg salad surprise set.
Phoenix: Y-you can't testify as to her ability to kill an egg! I mean, a person!
Angel: Hmm? Perhaps a chicken salad set would have been a better metaphor?
^
Kyouka: I'd say it was easier than boiling an egg...
Naruhodo: Y-you can't testify about that!
Kyouka: Oh? ...Or perhaps I should have left it as a raw egg?

>Present: Crime Photo @ "Then, she thrust..."

*Lunchland Specials! Note #4: Salmon Swirl = (fish?) sauce

Phoenix: Let's be a little more careful with our evidence, shall we?
Edgeworth: It is you that needs to be more careful, Mr. Wright!
^
Naruhodo: ...Say it with more determination.
Mitsurugi: The one who should speak with more determination is you, Defense!

>Answer: "No problem!"

*Lunchland Specials! Note #5: Lover's Lunchbox = first-love bento

>Answer: "Objection!"

Ema: Good advice. I'm not sure I understood it, but... good advice.
^
Akane: She became upset that you didn't understand earlier.

>Present: Edgeworth's Knife @ " The murder was..."

*Lunchland Specials! Note #6: ...Sort of. Edgey serves Nick a random lunchbox, calling it "humble pie". In the Jap, he says "salt bento". Ouch.

Edgeworth: Witness, please tell us only what you "saw," not what you "thought."
Angel: How dare you!
My powers of deduction are not to be underestimated!
Phoenix: (Really now...)
^
Mitsurugi: Witness, tell us only what you "saw"... if you please.
Kyouka: Silence.
The Sutra's reasoning is enriched with the strength of 50 men [compared] to a boy's best!
Naruhodo: (That's terrifying...)

Scene 4: Second Testimony

>End of testimony

Ema: The short wick burns out the fastest! It's a scientific fact!
Phoenix: I wonder... wouldn't it depend on the size of the candle?
I mean, add more wax and even a really short wick will burn longer...
Ema: ...
Obviously, more scientific testing is required!
^
Akane: "A short temper is a disadvantage"... it's been scientifically proven!
Naruhodo: ...Actually, that's what I thought earlier, but...
I can see the "short temper". I don't see the "disadvantage".
Akane: ............
There are still things in this world that can't be proven scientifically!

>Press: "Lana Skye intended..."

Judge: I believe what she just said was a mere prelude to the story she is about to tell.
Try not to interrupt her again.
Angel: Rookie...
Never interrupt a storyteller! It's like pulling a bun out of the oven half-baked!
Phoenix: (Something's half-baked here alright, and it's you!)
Edgeworth: Try not to confuse the defense, witness. They're not very quick on their feet.
^
Saibancho: That was simply a "lead-in" to her story.
Please let her continue.
Kyouka: Boy...
Would you rather have the Sutra put you into a deep sleep?
Naruhodo: (...Looks like she's out of ballads.)
Mitsurugi: Letting the Defense put itself to sleep will suffice.

>Present: Goodman's Autopsy Report @ "Nothing else could..."

*Lunchland Specials! Note #7:
Moss Surprise = green nori
Crime Scene set = ketchup bento

Angel: Are you testing me...? Then I'll test you!
With my Moss Surprise!!!
Edgeworth: I'm afraid the moss is growing under our feet as we wait, Ms. Starr.
^
Kyouka: If you're trying to test the Sutra... then I'll make you swallow it whole!
This green nori bento!!
Mitsurugi: The one who will be swallowing it may be you, witness.

>Press: "Her red muffler..."

Phoenix: (A judge with a bib. That's why this place feels so much like kindergarten sometimes.)
^
Naruhodo: (That's a big problem, isn't it?)

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 1 Part 2

>Press: "When I arrested..."
>Answer: "Press further"

Judge: Hmm. Good witnessing, witness!
Phoenix: (Good witnessing? What ever happened to good testifying?)
^
Saibancho: Hmm... As expected of you, witness. So this is the memory of a salmon!
Naruhodo: (That's a big problem, isn't it...?)

>Present: Parking Lot Floor Plans @ "She gave up..."
>Answer: "What she saw"

*Lunchland Specials! Note #8: P'tooey on rice = watermelon seeds bento

>Answer: "The order of events"

*Lunchland Specials! Note #9: Orange-peel Lunchbox = tangerine peel bento

>Answer: "Where she saw it"
>Present: Security Room
>Answer: Distance to the crime

*Lunchland Specials! Note #10:
Squid Wheels = rubberband :P
PB&J lunch = curry bento [TN: curry = kare-- and boyfriend = kare]
plastic spork = waribashi (splittable wooden chopsticks)

Phoenix: (The quality of my lunches has gone from low to inedible.)
^
Naruhodo: (That's not edible!)

Judge: You have a point. And the spork is a wonderful invention.
^
Saibancho: ...I suppose I have no choice but to agree.

>Answer: Sit back and observe

Phoenix: (I think I need more evidence before I go sticking my spork in this mess...)
Judge: Woo! Caviar! Ah... how it makes my eyes tingle!
Ema: Mr. Wright!
No evidence can win against the raw power of caviar! It's a scientific fact!
The only thing that's left... Is your strong presence and deft powers of deduction!
Phoenix: ...!
Ema: Let's screw the lid back on those overpriced fish eggs!
^
Naruhodo: (Whether for cuisine or objections, it's pointless without the right ingredients...)
Saibancho: Woohoo! My eyes... My eyes are filled with caviar! [TN: like a true anime character]
Akane: Na... Naruhodo-san!
Scientifically, there isn't any ingredient that can win against caviar!
The only way that's left... is to force through it!
Naruhodo: ...!
Akane: Please! You have to take down that caviar!

>Answer: Raise an objection

Phoenix: You could make pasta in that amount of time! If you like it al dente!
Angel: I've got lunchboxes that tie pasta into knots, Rookie!
^
Naruhodo: You could help yourself to another cup of noodles! ...If you like it that much.
Kyouka: Instead of eating only noodles, you should help yourself to my lunchboxes.

Scene 6: Decisive Evidence

>Intro

*Lunchland Specials! Note #11: jumbo lunchbox = 'special' bento (special is in katakana)

Phoenix: (What's she going to pull out of her lunchbox this time!?)
^
Naruhodo: (...The Sutra is so persistent... just what is she going to bring now?)

>Press: "And now, to the..."

Phoenix: (I'm happy for you and your lunchbox bag, really.)
^
Naruhodo: (So I'm being watched...)

>Press: "And the other..."

Phoenix: However! You can't tell from a blood test whether a murder was performed... in cold blood!
Angel: ...
Edgeworth: ...
Judge: ... That's just a figure of speech, Mr. Wright.
^
Naruhodo: If I remember correctly... blood type A means the person is a "sensitive" type!
Kyouka: ......
Mitsurugi: .........
Saibancho: ............ That's only in "fortune-telling".
[TN: His guess is based on old Japanese rumors about how blood type determines a person's personality. Of course, not many people think that way anymore.]

>Press: "This shoe proves..."

*Lunchland Specials! Note #12: peppered fish guts = salted fish guts

Angel: Some like it hot, Mr. Wright.
Some, like your client. She's in enough hot water to make a whole batch of soup.
^
Kyouka: Get used to the adult taste, boy.
...Your client has done mischief that she can't recover from.

>Answer: There's a problem

Angel: I'd give you a peppered fish gut now, but you couldn't take the heat, could you!
^
Kyouka: The salted fish gut from this lunchbox should be paired with sake!

>Present: Irrelevant evidence

Edgeworth: I'm guessing your shoe has blood on it too... you just shot yourself in the foot!
Phoenix: Arrgh...
Angel: Would you like a grinder, or a grind from the heel of my boot, Mr. Wright!?
Phoenix: (Man... tough crowd.)
^
Mitsurugi: I suggest you take this shoe to your face.
Naruhodo: ...Huh?
Kyouka: Perhaps you'd like to whine with my heel on your face!?
Naruhodo: (Guess I missed that one.)

>Present: Crime Photo

*Lunchland Specials! Note #13: The lunchbox called "evidence" = minced chicken bento (Is it me, or did it change from before?)

Mia: Wright... wet or not...
Don't be so quick to throw in the towel...
Phoenix: ...!
Mia: Get yourself up off the asphalt... take another good look...
Don't give up... Not until the bitter end.
^
Chihiro: ...Not yet...
...It's too soon to look away, Naruhodo-kun...
Naruhodo: ...!
Chihiro: ...Lift your head up... take another good look...
...Don't give up until the very end...

Watch for more edits. I try to keep updates by the end of each week.

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thank you so much for posting these. I really love learning about all the differences, it's very interesting. :)

Call me Kass.

oh my gosh this is so cool, thank you!

(if you ever make it to apollo, by some miracle, i am mad excited for gratuitous english haha :kyouya: )

Since the last post was getting pretty long, I'll just continue from here.

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 1 Part 3
Scene 7: Intermission

Ema: Like you're swimming up from the bottom of a lake, about to reach the surface...
But no matter how hard you paddle you never seem to get there...
Phoenix: Pretty much.
Except today we're swimming in quicksand.
^
Akane: Like when you look up to find a giant pair of pliers hanging over your head...
...just that helpless feeling of being too late.
Naruhodo: Pretty much.
But this time, it's not pliers; it's a giant bench.
[TN: pliers = penchi; bench = benchi]

Marshall: Remember, pardner, sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns...
and sometimes you just gotta let that bull go where it will. Time will tell!
Phoenix: (Ugh... I have a bad feeling about this.)
Ema: So... what are we swimming in now, Mr. Wright?
Marshall: If it's steak sauce, I can hook you up with some fine ribs! Ooh-wee!
^
Zaimon: 'stead of racking your brains, try racking a cow for milk.
...just a saying of them wild wranglers.
Thinking about it, there's nothin' to be done. The answer'll be wrung out with "time".
Naruhodo: (Ugh... I have a bad feeling about this.)
Akane: So... what's hanging above us now?
Zaimon: If it's a giant bull, I can hook you up some fine steak lunch!

Scene 8: Court Resumes

*Character Note #3: Damon Gant likes his nicknames. His nickname for the Judge is "Cho-san", from Saibancho. (It could also be a reference to a famous actor who goes by the same stage name.) He also refers to Nick and Edgey as Naruhodo-chan and Mitsurugi-chan, respectively.

Scene 9: Gant's Testimony

>Present: Victim's Note @ "Unless there's evidence..."
>Press: "A detective was..."
>Answer: Where the victim was found
>Press: "It's not officially..."
>Answer: The victim's ID number
>Answer: This tells me something!

Judge: You say the ID number of the detective who was murdered at the Police Department...
tells you something? What does it tell you!?
^
Saibancho: The ID number of the detective who was murdered at the Police Department...
"strikes you as meaningful"... So, what is it?
[TN: Keep in mind, the actual phrase is 'kokoro atari' = lit. "striking the heart".]

>Present: Irrelevant evidence

Phoenix: The ID number tells me... this!
Gant: My dear boy, you shouldn't believe everything ID numbers tell you.
Phoenix: Well... Maybe I misheard. You know?
Judge: Mr. Wright....
The court respectfully requests that you clean out your ears and pay attention!
Phoenix: (And I'd like to request some straightforward information for once!)
Ema: Mr. Wright! Don't listen to them! Look at the Court Record, scientifically!
^
Naruhodo: ...Well, what strikes me as meaningful is this!
Ganto: Oh? Is that perhaps, your "guesswork"?
Naruhodo: Well... it's not that bad a guess, right?
Saibancho: ...Defense.
That isn't "striking you as meaningful", that's "something like it"!
[TN: I know, it doesn't translate well here. He's saying that it's not 'kokoro atari', it's 'kokora atari' = about here.]
Naruhodo: (...As expected of the judge. Yet another witty line...)
Akane: Don't praise him for that! Look at the Court Record!

>Present: Goodman's ID

Judge: You're grinning like a schoolgirl on prom night!
^
Saibancho: You're grinning like a schoolgirl who's called her senior to the back of the school!
[TN: Hey, it's where all the lovey couples go.]

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 2 Part 1
Scene 1: Scientific Investigation!

>Forced Move: Underground Parking Lot
>Activate Luminol Reagent
>Spray: Ground near car trunk

Phoenix: (I can see her eyes shining behind those glasses...)
So, is this a bloodstain?
Ema: Uhhhh... It's so... ugh!
Phoenix: Ema, you're shaking.
Ema: It's just... this is my first time seeing real blood!
Phoenix: (Scientific investigation in action...)
^
Naruhodo: (Her eyes are glowing behind those glasses...!)
So, is this a bloodstain?
Akane: Uuugh... I'm feeling sick.
Naruhodo: W-why are you so shaken up?
Akane: It's just... this is my first time seeing real blood!
Naruhodo: (...What an unreliable scientific investigator.)

>Answer: The bloodstain's location

Phoenix: Why, the blood stain's location is odd! Elementary!
Ema: H-huh? Why is that "elementary"?
^
Naruhodo: Obviously... the bloodstain's location.
Akane: Eh? W-why do you say "obviously"?

>Put away Luminol Reagent

*Lunchland Specials! Note #14: Deli box = sashimi bento

Angel: This day-old Deli Box is on the house...
Phoenix: Sorry, it's just, that kind of lead in doesn't really get my mouth watering.
^
Kyouka: This blood-smeared sashimi bento... is on the house.
Naruhodo: ...Sorry, but with that lead-in, I can't eat it.

>Examine: Wall

Ema: So, this is the famous divider.
Phoenix: It sure helped us knock a hole in that testimony today.
Come to think of it, this divider helped our case more than the actual witness.
Ema: The great divider! A chip off the old parking block!
Phoenix: It's just a wall. (Scientifically speaking...)
^
Akane: This is... that "partition", huh.
Naruhodo: Thanks to this guy, I was able to knock down that testimony today.
In fact, this wall was probably better than an actual witness.
Akane: "Walls have ears, honest Mary" ...it's just like this saying.
Naruhodo: It's not "Mary", Akane-chan. (This girl doesn't seem to know about sliding doors.)
[TN: The saying she confused it with is "Walls have ears, sliding doors have eyes." Sliding doors made of paper-like film are found more often in traditional-style homes. Sliding doors = shoji; honest = shojiki]

>Examine: Oil Drum

Phoenix: Th-that's okay. Don't cry. (That Lana Skye must be a powerful woman...)
^
Naruhodo: Please don't cry. (Tomoe-san... sure has some amazing power.)

>Examine: B Block Fence

Phoenix: I-it's okay, don't cry. (Maybe there's a Lunchland Olympics team?)
^
Naruhodo: Like I said, please don't cry. (Okyou-san... only she could pull that off.)

Phoenix: (The only thing I'm smelling here is wasted time...)
^
Naruhodo: (...What's with this fragrant atmosphere...)

>Talk: Today's trial

Angel: No, no, it's okay. It was my fault.
Ema: Oh, we know.
Angel: I witnessed everything from that security room right there.
But... I was afraid that wouldn't wound convincing enough, you see...
[TN: I'm sure that's supposed to say "sound".]
I was wrong to think that. I'm sorry.
^
Kyouka: I know. It was my fault.
Akane: Okyou-san...
Kyouka: I witnessed everything through the glass in that security room.
But, if I had testified like that, my testimony would lose its flavor.
Above all, I wanted to add in an strong taste of soy... My apologies.
[TN: Actually, I don't get why she wanted to make her testimony so salty. Maybe for extra impact?]

>Talk: Detective Starr

Angel: You know, I may seem like a demon sometimes... But I can be an angel, too.
Phoenix: I wouldn't doubt it.
Angel: Every day, I dragged the dirt out of the mouths of suspect after suspect...
And before long, they called me... The Cough-up Queen!
Ema: Oh, and here I had thought someone had gotten food poisoning from your lunches.
^
Kyouka: No matter what I did... I'd still look like a nymph from the heavens.
Naruhodo: ...I guess so.
Kyouka: They'd spill out all the dirt that could come from their mouths...
And before I knew it, I became known as... "The Spew-covered Sutra"
Akane: Note: Okyou-san is really clad in a fragrant aroma.

>SL9 Incident

Angel: Exactly. Officer Jake Marshall.
He's on security detail in the Police Department, isn't he?
^
Kyouka: Yes. Detective Kyousuke Zaimon.
Oh, actually, he's only an officer in security detail now, isn't he?

>Talk: Detective Marshall
>Move: High Prosecutor's Office

Scene 2.3: Sneaking Back into Someone's Office

>Examine: Window

Phoenix: (That's handy to know...)
^
Naruhodo: (Like I said, what's the point...?)

>Move: Wright & Co. Law Offices

Scene 2.5: Back to the Office

>Examine: Desk

Ema: Uh oh! I have a history test coming up next week! I'd better study!
I'm borrowing this desk, okay?
Let's see... George Washington was the first king of America...
^
Akane: Ah! I need to study for my English test next week!
"Next week, toyoubi is 'Saturday'..."

>Examine: Bookshelf

Phoenix: (Oddly enough I find myself identifying with her on this one...)
^
Naruhodo: (She's feeling pretty cheery... surprisingly so.)

Ema: Th-this photograph... Ms. Starr must have been seeing things!
Phoenix: And photographing things?
^
Akane: T-this photograph... Okyou-san must have seen it wrong!
Naruhodo: How did you get to that?

>Talk: What to do

Phoenix: (No, no! You're being very... helpful.)
^
Naruhodo: (I was just joking...)

>Talk: Any ideas

Phoenix: (The Chief of Police was right about that...)
(But I can't help but think...)
(Someone at the Police Department doesn't like Edgeworth...)
^
Naruhodo: (Chief Ganto... he was right in his assertion.)
(But...)
(Somewhere inside, he seems to bear "ill will" toward Mitsurugi...)

>Move: Criminal Affairs Dept

Scene 2.8: Peeking Around Criminal Affairs

Phoenix: (Someone's getting a demotion...)
^
Naruhodo: (What the heck is he doing...?)

>Examine: Blue Badger

*Technicality Note #3: The idea of tagging on "Mister" to the Blue Badger began here, right from the creator's mouth.

Chief: Ah, well, the Dancing Blue Badger(tm) is still under development, you see.
Ema: You have it trademarked?
Chief: Absolutely! It's cutting edge stuff. Very "now."
I showed this doll here to my daughter and she burst into tears!
Phoenix: (Don't show her the moving mock-up outside then, you'll give her nightmares.)
^
Kacho (Chief): Ah, yes. It's because "Mister Dancing Taiho" still in development.
Akane: ...Why is it in English?
Kacho: You see, it's to take up a bit of that sense of "now".
When my daughter saw this doll, she cried "scary" and burst into tears.
Naruhodo: (...If she saw that moving plywood, she'd definitely run away as fast as she could.)

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 2 Part 2
Scene 3: Guard Station

>Intro

Ema: It's those cacti! They're so prickly... so imposing! It's hard to think straight.
Phoenix: (If you can't handle the cacti, stay out of the desert...)
^
Akane: It's that cactus next to us! I feel like I'm overwhelmed by its presence. It's hard to think straight.
Naruhodo: (*sigh*)

>Examine: Ponchos

Ema: A punchy? A paunchy? A pinchy? I know! A poochy!
Hmm... Wait, maybe that wasn't it.
^
Akane: Punch... pinch... pench... Ah! A ponch!
Hrm... that's not it. Oh, it's not coming to me...
[TN: penchi = pliers; ponchi = punch]

>Examine: Swinging Door

Ema: Of course not! If you went in through here..
The cactus would fall over. Ouch!
Phoenix: I'd say it'd be more of an "Yeeeeaargh," myself.
^
Akane: Well, look! If you enter from here, the cactus would fall over...
And you'll be in for a pricking!
Naruhodo: ...Yeah, a really bad "pricking".

>Examine: Lasso

Ema: Look, on the floor, a lasso!
Phoenix: Hmm... looks like it's set up to trap something.
Ema: A trap, here? Wait, I know!
Maybe someone was trying to catch a wild bull in here... But the lasso missed!
Phoenix: You sure have an active imagination.
^
Akane: There's a rope left here.
Naruhodo: ...Looks like it's set up for a "trap"-like mood.
Akane: "Trap"-like... huh... Ah! I got it!
"Like a ring toss, a rope tossed aside" ...If you read it backwards, it says the same thing!
Naruhodo: ...Wow, it does.
[TN: I translated the palindrome. It goes: "wanage na nage nawa". Since Japanese kana are read in blocks, read it by every two letters.]

Scene 4: Detention Center

*Character Note #4: Meekins really is supposed to be that zany. Here, instead of saying "sir" everywhere, he says "honkan" (referring to himself) everywhere. He also has a tendency to speak very fast when he's especially high-strung.

>Reason for arrest

Ema: And you wait until now to tell us this!?
Meekins: I'm sorry, really sorry, sir! I'll hand over my badge! I don't deserve it!
Phoenix: N-no thanks, I have my own. (Well, guess we'd better go check out the crime scene.)
^
Akane: Tell us that sooner!
Harabai: Yes, sir! I, um... ah... I'm deeply ashamed, sir!
Naruhodo: (Geez, this guy... anyway, we should go check the crime scene.)

Scene 5: Criminal Affairs

*Character Note #5: This place really is a bad influence... on Nick, that is. Whenever he becomes nervous around Gant, he starts talking like an officer himself.

>Present: Anything

Gant: Go find that guy who can't seem to sit still out there. The busy one...
Ema: The guy who can't sit still... does he mean Detective Gumshoe?
Phoenix: Either him or the Dancing Blue Badger.
^
Ganto: Go ask that guy in the fluttering coat about it.
Akane: Fluttering... does he mean that detective?
Naruhodo: I would've said "wandering lost" myself.

Phoenix: W-wait! I didn't do anything wrong! He did forge evidence.
^
Naruhodo: N-no, wait! It's not like I had any ulterior motives...

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 2 Part 3
Scene 6: Evidence Room Entrance

>Examine: Door

Marshall: Yeehaw! That card you got there on your chest.
That's better than a sheriff's badge in these parts.
Ema: Y-yeehaw?
Marshall: Well, what ya standin' there for? Get along, little dogies. The crime scene's a waiting!
^
Zaimon: Hoh... that card on your chest. It's your ticket to the New World.
Akane: Ticket?
Zaimon: Alrighty, time for a taste of that fresh pioneering spirit! Off to the crime scene, folks.

Marshall: Sorry, cowboy, but I got no mind to tangle with you hombres.
Phoenix: You're... busy, then?
Marshall: Did I say that?
I only said I didn't wish to speak with you.
Phoenix: (Actually, you said you had "no mind to tangle with us hombres.")
^
Zaimon: Sorry, cowboy, but I'm not in the mood to keep you company.
Naruhodo: So... you're busy?
Zaimon: Did I say that?
I only said "I'm not in the mood to keep you company."
Naruhodo: (Geez...)

>Examine: Monitors

Marshall: Why do cattle sit before the rains come? It's not for man to know.
Ema: Unless you're the security guard responsible!
^
Zaimon: That... is something "God only knows".
Akane: ...You aren't a very qualified security guard, Zaimon-san.

>Examine: Ponchos

Ema: It sure looks cool, but the name is a little silly.
^
Akane: ...It looks cool, but the name sounds rather sweet.

>Talk: Guard office / Marshall

Ema: You're just saying that because his stomach was growling!
You have no idea what he was talking about either!
Phoenix: (Well, in any case, we need to get cracking on this investigation, pronto!)
^
Akane: Did you... just base that on the "sound" we heard?
Naruhodo: (In any case, we didn't get anywhere with that.)

>Present: Steak Lunch
>Talk: Guard office

Marshall: Poor guy, I keep getting his name wrong and calling him "Meekly."
^
Zaimon: Once or twice, he'd write his own name wrong as "Haibara"...
[TN: The characters in his name are switched. I figured it'd sound funny like this.]

Marshall: I reckon I was galloping down the highway on the back of my steed, Zippy.
Ema: Note: he was riding down the highway on his horse named "Zippy."
^
Zaimon: Ah, well... I was galloping down the highway on Zip Cochise.
Akane: Note: he was riding down the highway on a famous horse.
[TN: Who woulda thunk there'd be an El Dorado reference here? I mean the 1966 movie starring John Wayne and his trusty steed Cochise.]

>Talk: Security system

Marshall: I know what maybe two of the machines in here do.
Ema: O-only two of them? There must be a dozen!
^
Zaimon: For now, I know what two of these machines do.
Akane: F-"for now"...?

Marshall: The card reader leaves a record of every ID card passed through.
^
Zaimon: Every time an ID card is read, it leaves a record. It's usual stuff... and easy to understand.

>Talk: Transferal

Scene 7: Second Crime Scene

Phoenix: (I wonder if Detective Gumshoe wore a trench coat in high school, too.)
^
Naruhodo: (...Even Detective Gumshoe was just a high school student once.)

>Talk: Judge for a day

*Technicality Note #4: It's supposed to say "Boss for a day".

Gumshoe: That was the beginning of the end for Mr. Edgeworth.
^
Itonoko: That was the "beginning" of the hold on Prosecutor Mitsurugi.

>Outro

Phoenix: (Who needs enemies when you've got friends like Detective Gumshoe..)
^
Naruhodo: (I feel sorry for him with the bittersweet trust they share.)

Scene 8: High Prosecutor's Office

>Outro

Phoenix: I, uh, th-thanks! (How about giving these to Detective Gumshoe as well!?)
^
Naruhodo: Oh, uh... thanks. (Maybe I should lend it to Detective Gumshoe too.)

Scene 9: One Last Investigation

>Examine: Top non-blood fingerprint
>Compare: Dick Gumshoe

Ema: Okay, so we came up with nothing this time, but there's always next time!
Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss!
You gotta roll with the punches, Mr. Wright!
Phoenix: Thanks for the sympathy.
^
Akane: Okay, it was a swing and miss this time, but there's always next time!
You're familiar with them, right? "Swing and miss" and "in a downpour".
No worries, no worries!
Naruhodo: ...Somehow, I feel more on edge after your consolation.

>Examine: Locker with white cloth
>Compare: Jake Marshall

I know I already lauded this whole project in a previous post, but I just wanna say I'm enjoying EVEN more now what with my favorite case being examined. I really look forward to your updates, thanks again for all of this, it's definitely definitely appreciated.

More Ashes and stuff. And thanks to Ash for that informative language thesis. I sometimes have trouble with Kansai dialects, but this cleared up a few questions.

Apologies for the delay; it's getting close to when school begins again.

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 2 Part 1
Scene 1: Lobby

>snip

Scene 2: Court in Session

>snip

Scene 3: First Cross-examination

>Press: "I was only..."

Meekins: I swung my arms like an octopus, struggling to detain him!
^
Harabai: Like a wild ram, I swung my arms like at him and held up a gallant resistance!
[TN: Though Ema doesn't actually say it, she does keep with the comparison, suggesting that he'd be better off acting more meekly, like a lamb.]

>End Testimony

Scene 4: Second Cross-examination

>Press: "but there's no..."

Phoenix: But you don't know that for sure, do you?
You never actually saw Detective Goodman's face.
Meekins: Well... I suppose you might say that.
That is, if you must label people as having "seen" or "not seen" it.
^
Naruhodo: But... you don't know, do you?
What Detective Goodman's face looks like.
Harabai: Well... now that I think about it, I guess so.
That is, if we were to label people as "known" or "unknown".

Edgeworth: Now please be more certain when you testify!
^
Mitsurugi: Now give a more resolved testimony!
[TN: The expression he uses literally means "to put together one's gut". The verb used here is the same as the one Meekins always uses when talking of "labeling" things. It actually means "to tie up, summarize" etc.]

>Press: "The locker he..."

Meekins: The workers in the department cafeteria, sir! They keep me informed!
[TN: Btw, the workers he's referring to are those old cafeteria ladies.]

>Press: "So it must..."
>Answer: There's a problem

Meekins: Please don't play it too many times. I-I can't stand watching this video!
Phoenix: (How did this guy ever become a police officer?)
^
Harabai: If you stab at the wrong point, then even someone like me will be sorely disappointed!
Naruhodo: (It's not "stabbing", it's "pointing out"...)
[TN: "to stab" and "to point out" are homonyms]

>Present: Glove/Cloth (on first question)
[TN: Not a difference in script, but an extra piece of dialogue that most people would miss. The judge complains about almost falling into the defense's "trap".]
>Present: Light above locker
>Present: Cloth (on second question)
[TN: Another extra piece of dialogue that most people would miss. The judge complains about the sloppiness... and almost falling into a trap again.]
>Present: Glove

>Intermission

Ema: Just hearing that makes my hair stand on end!
Phoenix: (Me too, although it doesn't make much of a difference...)
^
Akane: Ugh... just hearing that gives me the shivers!
Naruhodo: (Yeah, I feel it too... it's a bit chilly here.)

>Answer: Object
>Present: Other profiles

Judge: Mr. Wright, I'm not even going to bother asking you why.
I've never seen a more obvious stall tactic in my entire career!
^
Saibancho: ...I'm not going to bother asking why.
I've never seen anyone who's so obviously lost before.

>Present: Jake Marshall

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 2 Part 2
Scene 6: Fourth Testimony

>Intro

Marshall: Fingerprint activated locks? What kind of new-fangled doohickeys are those?
Phoenix: (He's not being very helpful...)
^
Zaimon: Fingerprint...? Never heard of 'em.
Naruhodo: (Trying to acting cool, now?)
[TN: Phoenix's comment here isn't translated well. He notes that Marshall has reverted to using 'nee ze' to end his sentence, as if to sound "cool".]

Marshall: Everyone's got their weaknesses, now don't they, Mr. Prosecutor?
^
Zaimon: Everyone's got their weaknesses, right? Prosecutor boy...

>End of testimony

Phoenix: (Okay... I have a trump card up my sleeve, so I'd best keep my cool.)
(Before I use it though, I'd better up the ante...)
^
Naruhodo: (Anyway... I have the strongest "weapon" here.)
(Before I load the gunpowder, I've got to raise the stakes...)

>Press: "My job was..."

Phoenix: (This guy has a flare for the dramatic, but it isn't going to do him any good.)
^
Naruhodo: (As cool as he tries to sound, all he's been doing is complaining.)

>Press: "Besides, the room's..."

Marshall: I couldn't even tell you how a bike works.
Phoenix: That's quite, uh... incredible.
^
Zaimon: Why does a bike run? I wouldn't know.
Naruhodo: ...Still, you could try to know...

>Press: "I'm just an..."

Marshall: Texans don't take orders from anyone. Everyone knows that.
Phoenix: (Apparently your superiors don't...)
^
Zaimon: Texans aren't so great with duties or women, ya know?
Naruhodo: (I hear the Texans raising up a riot...)
[TN: He actually just says that they'd get mad, but this sounds more interesting.]

>Present: Marshall's Prints @ "I'm just an..."

Scene 7: 5th Testimony

>Press: "The bloodstain and..."

Phoenix: Unrelated?
Marshall: They're as different as night and day.
Kinda like "cereal" an' "serial."
One's got to do with breakfast while the other's a type of murder.
Judge: He's right... although seemingly alike, they're totally different.
Phoenix: (I don't see what homonyms have to do with this...)
^
Naruhodo: U-unrelated...?
Zaimon: Well, for example...
A kid's lunch with a toy "sticking out", or a kid's lunch with a toy "sticking in"...
About as different as that.
Saibancho: He's right... although they look alike, they're totally different.
Naruhodo: (Even then, it's just a trivial metaphor...)

>Press through testimony
>Press: "Too bad it..."
>Present: Cloth

Technicality Note #5: Though "25 [text] characters or less" doesn't seem like much of a constriction, it's actually the maximum space allowed in the text box in the Japanese version. Phoenix manages to fill up the whole thing, including two quote marks and the exclamation point, which each take up one space.

Marshall: You can talk the talk alright, but you got a long ways to go before you can walk the walk!
Judge: Mr. Wright... I think even I could prove this one.
^
Zaimon: As I thought, you're nothing but talk... cowboy!
[TN: It's fun to say this line: "yappari hattari bakkari dattari..."]
Saibancho: Even I know that can't be right, Defense!

>Present: Locker

Technicality Note #6: As mentioned in the last note, the maximum space allowed in the text box is 25 characters, including punctuation. Marshall fills it all with one word: "chikushoooooooo!" (That's like "damn it!" or "curses!")

>Present: Wrong place

Judge: That's almost as credible as Meekins's warp theory.
Marshall: Your chamber's empty, pardner. Better reload.
Phoenix: (Now they're ganging up on me!)
^
Saibancho: It's like Officer Zaimon is part of the background.
Zaimon: Don't you mean the cowboy over there?
[TN: The judge uses the term "kage ga usui", which means "not standing out" / "in the background". Marshall follows up with "As weak as my shadow is, it's not as bad as that cowboy's over there."]
Naruhodo: (Ugh... that's not the place. And I only said one thing...)

>Present: Blood splatter

Marshall: My guess is he's the donor.
Phoenix: (It looked like too much blood for that...)
^
Zaimon: He seemed like the ruddy type of lad.
Naruhodo: (He didn't look like it...)

Scene 8: Marshall's Confession

>Press: "There wasn't any..."

Marshall: What are you, blind?
^
Zaimon: I dislike persistent cowboys... cowboy.

>After pressing all

Edgeworth: It can't just be forgiven with a simple cut in salary.
Phoenix: (Not that salary cuts are ever a valid solution...)
^
Mitsurugi: This won't just be about cutting your salary.
Naruhodo: (That was never the problem anyway...)

>Present: SL-9 Incident Files @ "I can't just..."

Technicality Note #7: Ah, here it is. Edgeworth finishes laying out his case with a suggestion for Phoenix. Here, it's "2.5 characters", and Nick follows through with "ぐっ!"

Technicality Note #8: Just before Phoenix answers if there's a problem with the bloody handprint, the options are:
Scientifically, 'objection!'
Scientifically, 'no problems!'

>Answer: I object!

Marshall: As they say back west... "Even a blind man can hit with buckshot."
That is... so long as he's facin' the general direction.
Edgeworth: It seems Mr. Wright's not sure which direction to face.
^
Zaimon: As they say back west... "Even a bad marksman can hit after many shots."
That is... so long as the bullets aren't wet.
Mitsurugi: It seems the defense's bullets are soaking wet.

>Present: Plywood (Blue Badger)

Phoenix: Defender of truth, guardian of proof!
^
Naruhodo: With his own self, he's been guarding a decisive piece of evidence.

Marshall: So?
Phoenix: So watch what happens when we put him in.
^
Zaimon: A flimsy friend for a flimsy guy.
Naruhodo: Then... let's put my flimsy friend in there.

>Present: ID Card Record

Technicality Note #9: The number seven is more often pronounced "nana", especially when counting. Funny how it becomes a running gag later.

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 3 Part 1
Scene 1: Wright & Co.

>Examine: Desk

Ema: Uh oh! I have a math test coming up next week! I'd better study!
1 + 1 = 2 1 + 2 = 3 1 + 3 = 4
Phoenix: (If that's what they're teaching in high school math, we're in serious trouble.)
^
Akane: Ah! I have an English test coming up next week! I'd better study!
Note: "Conspiracy, a detective's important job..."
Naruhodo: (So she puts all the work into her other grades at one time.)

>Present: Fingerprinting Set

Phoenix: (Might as well wipe my dignity away too while you're at it.)
^
Naruhodo: (Can this powder be washed off...?)

>Present: Unstable Jar

Phoenix: What do you mean, "about to"? It's already broken.
Ema: I meant again...
^
Naruhodo: To be exact, it's already broken.
Akane: ...He says, so proudly.

>Talk: Permanent Picture

Scene 1.5: Revisiting Edgeworth's Office

>Examine: Bouquet

Phoenix: "To be or not to be -- Wendy"
^
Naruhodo: "The politics of fear -- Kaoru"

Phoenix: "To every cloud, there is a silver lining. -- Wendy"
^
Naruhodo: "Thirty-percent batting average -- Kaoru"
[TN: ...What is she trying to say to him in these messages?]

Scene 2: Visiting Detention

>snip

Scene 3: Marshall's Last Stand

>snip

Scene 4: Criminal Affairs

>Intro

Cultural Note #4: They were localized as Thanksgiving and Christmas in the NA version, but were originally the Bon Festival (Festival of the Dead) and New Year's. If you want to know more about it, I suggest the general wiki.

Scene 5: Chief's Office

>Intro

Ema: They used to call me "Little Miss Bach."
I thought I was a genius until they tried teaching me notes.
I never could remember where C was...
^
Akane: They used to call me "Little Miss Bach," and I believed I was a genius.
Let's see... where is "Do" again...? *baaaaaahn*
...I thought I was going to die.

Scene 6: Asking Gumshoe A Favor

>Examine: Detective

Police: "Very clever indeed... Who would have thought of multiple personalities?"
"I don't see how else he could have done it. I guess it's time to have my head checked."
I think it's way past time for that.
^
Keiji: "What an ingenious trick! For I have multiple personalities..."
...And that's all I can come up with now. Ah, well.
Looks like he's been caught up in his own trick.

Chief: What do I do!? Quick! Someone bring me the classifieds! Help Wanted section!!!
Phoenix: (So much for "duty"...)
^
Kacho: What do I do!? Someone! The new temps...!
Naruhodo: (...Looks like he's trying to pin it on someone else.)

>Present: Luminol Testing Fluid

Ema: "Add three inches to your base height."
Phoenix: "Base height"? Hey, let me see that!
"Looming Tall." "New and improved growth formula."
^
Akane: "With just the shampoo, you can gain an interesting look."
Naruhodo: "Shampoo"...? Hey, let me see that!
"Nomi Tall"... a shampoo for flea removal.
[TN: 'nomi o toru' means to remove fleas; 'toru' sounds like 'tall']

>Present: Switchblade Knife
>Talk: Murder Weapon

Scene 7: Back to Edgeworth

>Present: Gant Team Picture
>Talk: Prosecutor Trophy

Technicality Note #10: The character for Chu in "Kingdom of Chu" is pronounced 'so' here. When Nick objects, he uses 'sono shounin' ("that witness") instead of 'so no shounin' ("Chu merchant"). Edgeworth corrects him on that.

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Investigation Day 3 Part 2
Scene 8: The Starr Steps Down

>snip

Scene 9: Asking Gumshoe Again

>Intro

Technicality Note #11: Here, Gumshoe says "OK", as in "Office Keiji". Yes, it's also a pun with "okay".

>Examine: Detective

Police: "Oh, Francesca. You're more lovely than a marsupial in..."
"Quiet, Jean Marc. Words will just spoil the moment. Now hold me close..."
Yes, this approach allows for much more intrigue.
It seems he's given up on the mystery genre.
^
Keiji: "Well, Hiroko-san? I'm already..."
"Yes, there's always a mystery between a man and a woman, Takeo-san."
...This way, they can keep that that sense of mystery.
Looks like he's given up on the detective genre.

>Present: Prosecutor Trophy

Gumshoe: There was this, uh... dragon, yeah, that's it. A dragon!
He had a thing for shields, see...?
Phoenix: That's not exactly the version we heard.
Ema: No, but this one sounds more exciting!
Gumshoe: Anyway, it gets kind of gory after that. I'll spare you the details.
^
Itonoko: "There's no shield a bug won't bite"... kinda like that, right?
Naruhodo: No matter how much it likes it, I doubt a shield is edible.
Besides, that isn't a "parable"; it's a "proverb".
Itonoko: ...Lately, I've been under a lot of harsh criticism.
[TN: The proverb he mixed it up with goes "There's no water-pepper a bug won't bite." ('tate' = shield; 'tade' = water-pepper) Literally, no matter how bitter or spicy the water-pepper is, a bug won't be deterred. Figuratively, there's no concern over the taste.]

Scene 10: Investigating the Chief's Place

>Examine: Left Window

Ema: Note to Self: Detective Gumshoe has a lot of dreams...
^
Akane: Note: The detective is still at the age to have lots of dreams...

>Examine: Safe

Gumshoe: "Safe"... that word is ripe with intrigue!
Phoenix: Uh, okay. If you say so...
^
Itonoko: "Safe"... that word has a dangerous but rewarding feeling to it.
Naruhodo: I could say the same for you.

>Answer: Input number
>Input: 7777777
>Examine: Open Safe

Gumshoe: Hey! I saw someone wearing a shirt like that once!
You think the Chief made up the design?
^
Itonoko: Hey, is that the famous "promissory note" thing?
With that thing in there, money'll come pouring out, like some magic charm!

>Present: Fingerprint Set
>Compare: Anyone else

Gumshoe: The way I see it, there's a higher power at work here. You just gotta have faith.
^
Itonoko: "Everything is God's will and intention"... that's the point of a "fool's errand".

>Compare: Ema
>Talk: Chief Gant

Scene 11: The Final Visit

>snip

Is it just me, or is Naruhodo a lot more...sassy and bitter compared to Phoenix?

Thanks for all your hard work, Apollo-bird

Thane wrote:
Is it just me, or is Naruhodo a lot more...sassy and bitter compared to Phoenix?

Thanks for all your hard work, Apollo-bird

I don't think so. Phoenix just seems more silly than Naruhodo because of some of his reactions. Maybe it's just me, but it could be a sign of his extra loftiness as a bird as opposed to a dragon.

...No, that was bad. I'm sorry. And thank you and everyone who's supported me on this!

I have reorganized the first four cases to fit the format of RtfA, so now my work doesn't look so broken. Nonetheless, I need to find more creative ways to title scenes and possibly snip out ones that aren't different (enough). After a while, I stop noticing the really minor detail changes, mainly due to transition of Japanese culture and food staples to those of Western origin.

I shall get to the final parts of RtfA soon. (But to prevent me from double-posting, I suggest someone leave more comments. I prefer a bit more feedback than simply thanks.)

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
And thanks to Ash for that informative language thesis. I sometimes have trouble with Kansai dialects, but this cleared up a few questions.

どういたしまして。 Oh, for a great and 'informative' piece on Kansai dialects and role language, you really should see episode 651 of Detective Conan (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17632098).

It does seem to me that the original dialogue (not just Phoenix's) is a bit more realistic or more how I imagine people would really react.
I mean, the English version is great, but it does seem to be a bit more into comic relief territory (like with Ema's high school math). Of course, it's hard to tell from only knowing some excerpts.
Reading your explanations makes me wish I could play the games in Japanese, too... maybe in a few years, if I study really hard, I wil be able to. Until then, I can only repeat how much I love you for sharing your knowledge with us. I often do wonder what this or that phrase might have been in the original, so I'm very happy to be able to find out.

Finally, the last stretch. I should celebrate after I'm done... but what do I do to celebrate?

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 3 Part 1
Scene 1: Reminiscence of SL-9

>snip

Scene 2: Lana's Confession

>snip

Scene 3: Ema on the Stand

>Press: "but I'll never..."
>Hear more
>Ask about the picture
>Present: Evidence List @ "I drew a..."

Edgeworth: What are you doing with that list!?
Phoenix: Me...?
^
Mitsurugi: What are the likes of you doing with that list!?
Naruhodo: Th-"The likes of"...

Judge: Who'd have thought the picture would have been drawn on the back of the list...
Ema: That was handed to Detective Goodman in the questioning room?
^
Saibancho: ...But to draw on the back of such an important list...
Akane: That was given to Detective Tadashiki-san in the questioning room.

Judge: Are you all right, Mr. Wright? Your eyes are bulging from your head...
^
Saibancho: What is it, Defense? Your eyes are gleaming, like an eager child.

Edgeworth: Apparently the Head of Criminal Affairs used this for his blueprint.
Phoenix: (I guess he was out of scrap paper...)
^
Mitsurugi: Perhaps... the Head Detective had used it for his sketches.
Naruhodo: (Really... that old guy at Criminal Affairs?)

Scene 4: The Pictures

>Press: "This picture shows..."

Phoenix: (I'd better watch out, or he might find some way to cut my salary!)
^
Naruhodo: (The way he's glaring, I'd better not mess with him now...)

>Present: Neil's Autopsy Report @ "This picture shows..."
>Present: Elsewhere

Judge: Yes, well. So long as the defense has learned his lesson.
^
Saibancho: Go home and study up on social manners!

>Present: Weapon

Judge: I'm sure this must all be very amusing to you, Mr. Wright.
But may I remind you that the fate of Ms. Lana Skye hangs in the balance?
^
Saibancho: After presenting such a careless claim like this...
Allow me to promptly snap it apart!

>Present: Gant Team Picture

Scene 5: Ema's Memory

>Press: "He wasn't in..."
>Answer: I just might know...
>Present: Correct angle

Edgeworth: Although we all enjoyed Mr. Wright's dramatic performance, one question remains...
What's your point!?
^
Mitsurugi: ...An impressive attempt at a mock-circus act, Defense.
That said, what's your point!?

>Answer: [any]

Scene 6: Dying Message

>Answer: is in the evidence.

Technicality Note #12: The message was changed for obvious reasons. 'Akane' is written as 茜. There are 15 connectable points in all here, so it's much easier to draw a fancy picture. (Look, Your Honor! It's a pterodactyl!)

>Present: [name]

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 3 Part 2
Scene 7: In Recess

>snip

Scene 8: Court Resumes

>snip

Scene 9: Gant on the Stand

>Intro

Gant: Son... Either you're very brave... or very foolish.
^
Ganto: You too... lack a sense of your worth. [TN: lit. "don't know your lifespan"]

>Present: Strip of Cloth @ "As you can..."

Gant: Well, okay. I'll do it just this once. But only because you asked, Udgey.
Judge: Thank you. I assure you the defense is terribly sorry. Ha ha ha...
Phoenix: (Yeah. Sorry I didn't nail you...)
^
Ganto: Oh, I suppose there's no helping it. Only once more, Cho-san.
Saibancho: Goodness, my sincerest apologies [about him]. Ho ho ho...
Naruhodo: (Dammit...)

>Present: Unstable Jar / Evidence List @ "As you can..."

Technicality Note #13: The first one to call Gumshoe "Noko-chan" (Kay's nickname for him) is actually Gant. It was simply localized as "Dick", since "Gummy" would have been a bit awkward.

Phoenix: (If Detective Gumshoe's salary drops any further, he'll end up paying to work!)
^
Naruhodo: (What the heck will happen now to Detective Itonoko's salary...!?)

Scene 10: Gant in Forgery?

>Intro

Phoenix: (Huh? What are these guys, telepathic?)
^
Naruhodo: (...Some "adult" talk, it seems...)
[TN: Udgey was chuckling to himself... oh, dear.]

>Press: "For all I..."

Phoenix: I'll have you know, back in the day I once broke into a cattle ranch, and tipped-
^
Naruhodo: I'll have you know, I was once known by a notorious name...
[TN: I wonder if he's referring to a certain class trial back then.]

Gant: If you have proof to the contrary, you're going to need it later.
Edgeworth: Later? What are you talking about?
Gant: What else? I'm talking about when your fingerprints are found.
Yes. If they're found inside my safe, they would prove your investigation was illegal.
Phoenix: Grrr... (I've never faced anyone as slimy as this guy!)
^
Ganto: It's about time... they ought to have been found.
Mitsurugi: "Found"? What exactly?
Ganto: Isn't it obvious? Naruhodo-chan's fingerprints.
They've been found inside my safe... and prove the investigation was illegal!
Naruhodo: Ugh... (Can I even win against this guy...?)

Edgeworth: The Chief is talking about a "possibility." So long as you can't rule that out...
your remarks, however clever they may be, will only succeed in wasting time.
Phoenix: (Tell me something I don't know...)
Gant: Come now, Mr. Wright.
Think about it.
^
Mitsurugi: The Chief is talking about a "possibility." So long as you can't refute it...
no matter how many times you slam your desk, it will only leave your hands hurting.
Naruhodo: (They're my hands! I'd know that better than anyone!)
Ganto: Oh, what a nice frustrated look you have.
...But, think about it.

>Press: "Rearranging the crime..."
>Press: "I wouldn't be..."

Technicality Note #14: The two options read,
"Someone" doesn't exist
Point out "someone"
(It looks better untranslated because direct objects can be put in front of a sentence.)

>Answer: Point out accomplice

Judge: I hope you understand that's not a compliment.
^
Saibancho: ...The way your eyes are shifting on their own doesn't look healthy.

>Present: Lana Skye

Edgeworth: He would be able to use the Chief Prosecutor as his puppet!
Essentially...
he would acquire unchecked authority over all investigations!
Judge: Do you mean to tell me... that despite the Chief's formidable appearance,
he plays with puppets!?
Oh, wait.
You must mean "puppet" as in someone forced to do his bidding... Never mind!
^
Mitsurugi: He would be able to freely manipulate the Chief Prosecutor from his office...
That is to say, he would acquire unchecked authority over all investigations!
Saibancho: Ah...! Do you mean... what do you call it...
Investigation Operations! [TN: I believe he pronounces it as "sousa no sousa"; first one is "investigation", other is "operation" or "manipulation"]
Ah, I mean, that's exactly right-

Gant: So long as Mr. Wright is tossing out things regardless of their relevance...
mind if I toss something too, Udgey?
This shoe should do nicely. I'll chuck it right at you!
Judge: You always were quite the joker, weren't you?
^
Ganto: To be honest, I feel like tossing out something too.
How about my shoe? Right at you, Cho-san.
Saibancho: No thank you. That's a rather harsh joke, even for you.

>Present: ID Card Record

Phoenix: The safe in Chief Gant's Office requires a code to open.
A seven-digit code...
Judge: Seven digits... You don't mean...
Phoenix: I'm afraid so, Your Honor. The code was "7777777"...
The same as the remaining ID card number on that list!
^
Naruhodo: The safe in Chief Gant's Office requires a PIN to open... with seven digits.
Saibancho: Se-seven digits... You don't mean... [TN: 'nana' = 7]
Naruhodo: That's one too many "na", Your Honor...
"7777777"... it matches this ID card number.

Judge: Sorry to interrupt your mumblings...
but the court is waiting.
Phoenix: (Oops...)
Gant: Why don't you come meet with me tomorrow?
Perhaps we could write up your letter of... termination?
^
Saibancho: ...It seems you're finished with your self-review.
Then, please excuse me. *penalty*
Naruhodo: (Ooh...)
Ganto: Could you meet with me tomorrow? ...for the written apology you owe me.

>Present: Goodman's Lost Item Report
>Present: Screwdriver / Parking Stub

Technicality Note #15: As I mentioned before, the position of "Chief Prosecutor" that Lana takes is different from the "Chief Prosecutor" that Gant planned to meet. Because English can't succinctly show the difference between them, it was localized as the "attorney general". I'm not that familiar with legal terms, but the Chief of the Prosecutor's Office may have a similar role to that of a District Attorney General.

Scene 11: Refusing to Testify

>Answer: Present evidence
>Present: [any]

Phoenix: It's proof. As to whether or not it's enough to demonstrate the Chief's guilt...
Phoenix: I'll let you be the judge!
Judge: But... I am the judge.
Phoenix: Oh, right... Well, what do you think, Your Honor?
Judge: What I think, Mr. Wright, is I'm going to be late for my meal.
Phoenix: (I guess it wasn't enough...)
^
Naruhodo: Sink or swim... I've tossed it out.
Saibancho: So, are you "sinking" or "swimming"?
Naruhodo: A good question... If I had to choose, I'd pick "swimming".
Saibancho: ...In that case, show that you are!
Naruhodo: (I knew it... I wasn't sure about it anyway...)

>Answer: I have no proof yet

Gant: I don't gamble unless the stakes are high!
It seems that Lady Luck was on my side again today.
^
Ganto: It seems victory was mine from the start.
I figured that the Goddess of Victory was on my side again today.
[TN: "The Goddess of Victory" is actually a reference to a classic Kansai TV drama back in 1996: Shouri no Megami. It was revamped in 2003(?) on Chiba TV as a separate series that continued for 5 sequels.]

Scene 12: Recess

>snip

Spoiler: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Rise from the Ashes) Trial Day 3 Part 3
Scene 13: Resume

>snip

Scene 14: Lana's "Truth"

>snip

Scene 15: The Bloody Jar

>Present: Unstable Jar @ "The fragments were..."

Judge: Wait, I'm not the one on trail here! [TN: nor on trial, heh]
^
Saibancho: ...It seems, unexpectedly, I've had a small taste of being on trial.

Scene 16: What Lana Witnessed

>Answer: Cannot show evidence
>Present: Strip of Cloth
>Present: Ema Skye

Phoenix: (Chief Gant, your tyrannical reign ends here!)
^
Naruhodo: (Chief Ganto, this is the finishing blow!)

Scene 17: The Final Pursuit

>Answer: I did not

Technicality Note #16: The two options when asked about the legality of the strip of cloth read
It's illegal
It's not illegal

>Present: Evidence Law

Character Note #6: Often when many characters - especially evil ones - chuckle, it goes in some variation of "ku ku ku" (supposed to sound like a snicker). Gant takes it to a whole 'nother level by reciting every sound in the Japanese alphabet that begins with a 'k-' sound. (He ends up sounding like a chicken at some point...)

Scene 18: Adjourned

>Intro

Phoenix: Huh? What? Oh, uh... yeah. (What is this, a pop quiz?)
^
Naruhodo: Eh? Uh... yeah. (She says, all of a sudden...)
[TN: This is the exact same line as when Mia asked him for evidence after Larry's trial, several months ago.]

>Present: Evidence List

Scene 19: Credits

Technicality Note #17: Remember, it's America here, not Europe.

Technicality Note #18: The names of the localization staff remain in English, no kana anywhere with their names, not even the Japanese Americans.

Judge: Let's see, what was his name again? Mr. Left...?
Anyway, he said he's been doing, er, something or other for, uh... how many years...?
^
Saibancho: Um, that young defense attorney was... Nanihodou-kun?
Um. And I've been doing this and that for... how many years?

Character Note #7: The one who calls Maya in the credits here refers to her as "Mystic Maya". It could be anyone in the village, but I have a feeling it's actually Pearls. (I previously played through GS2, and her mother doesn't quite talk like that.)

And again, what should I do to celebrate? I'll be set to return to school in a week... oh boy, now I'd like one of those Wright Way Lunches. Maybe it'd help me overcome my poor study habits...

Huh, I guess I'm double-posting. I prefer not to, but this thread needs updating.

Moving on to the second game. Justice, whips, and Pearly cuteness for all.

Spoiler: Case 2-1 Characters
Mako Suzuki (Maggey Byrde)
Mamoru Machio (Dustin Prince)
Takamasa Moroheiya (Richard Wellington)

Spoiler: Ushinawareta Gyakuten (The Lost Turnabout) Trial Day 1 Part 1
Scene 1: Toccata in D Minor

>snip

Scene 2: Another Prelude

Technicality Note #1: There isn't another text box for the "Few minutes later" bit here. No worries, though; the English and Japanese text boxes aren't completely in sync anyway. It's been like that since the first game.

Character Note #1: Maggey talks like Gumshoe (and is exactly why they're the perfect pair), adding an extra 'ssu' at the end of her sentences. She also refers to herself using her last name instead of the term 'honkan'. (Check the character note for Meekins in the RftA, 2nd day investigation section for details.)

Scene 3: Court in Session

>Tutorial section

Byrde: It's too bad I'm a cop, right? Just think! I could totally be a legal aide instead!
^
Mako: I may be a cop, but it's thanks to my court-drama mania!

>Payne calls Gumshoe

Phoenix: (OK, calm down, I believe you.)
^
Naruhodo: (...Looks like the results of training went into that speech.)

Location Note #1: "Expos'e Park" is "Mischief Park" here. Both are fitting, I suppose.

Scene 4: "Decisive Evidence"

>Testimony

What's written in the photo is 鈴木, a more common way to write "Suzuki". Aside from Gumshoe's line here, everyone else says her name in katakana, including Maggey herself, if only to not make the first answer too obvious.

>Intermission

Phoenix: (As long as I can "expose the lies", we should be alright.)
^
Naruhodo: (Anyway, the key phrase is "Expose the lies!")
[TN: It's not very different from the localized, but this expression becomes one of those identifying phrases in Japanese, alongside "turn your thoughts around". It's not as clear in the English, though.]

>Present: Maggey's profile @ 3rd/4th

Payne: The defendant's, uh, name is, uh... "Maggie Byrde".
Phoenix: I think someone needs to check the Court Record.
Payne: What...? It says right here that it's "Maggey Byrde".
Aaaah!!
Phoenix: It looks like the bird caught the cat napping!
^
Auchi: The defendant's name is, uh... Suzuki Mako.
Naruhodo: Not in katakana, in kanji please.
Auchi: K-kanji...? Well, it's "須々木"...
Aaaah!!
Naruhodo: ...And now you get it.

Scene 5: "Victim and Defendant"
(That's the actual subtitle of this testimony)

>Press 3rd

Judge: Ah, I remember when I was young and in love. Oh, it was a jolly time.
Phoenix: (That's great, Your Honor... I'm glad you're such a cheerful old man...)
^
Saibancho: Looking forward to going on dates, you say... Such a lovely young couple.
Naruhodo: (He sure is cheerful when he says that...)

>Press 4th

Gumshoe: I know everything that happens under me! If someone so much as scratches their...
Phoenix: I REALLY don't need to know that much...
^
Itonoko: Even if someone's a shoplifter, I just pretend I don't know!
Naruhodo: Um, yeah... never mind.

Judge: Even if this witness has a crush on the defendant,
that should not be the point of discussion at this time.
Gumshoe: Whoa! Wait a second! Why are we talking about this!?
It's all YOUR fault, pal! You're guilty, guilty, guilty! I should have you arrested!
Phoenix: (I think the good Detective is about done here...)
^
Saibancho: Even if this witness is after the defendant's bottom,
that should not be the point of discussion at this time.
Itonoko: Gyah! How could he say something like that!?
It's YOUR fault! You're under arrest! And guilty!
Naruhodo: (...Well, seems like that detective isn't going to get any now.)

>Press 5th

Gumshoe: She got him a glove.
Judge: A single glove? Why would she only give him one?
Payne: Um, actually, Your Honor, the glove in question is a baseball glove.
Judge: Oh, I see. A baseball glove.
^
Itonoko: Glove -ssu. [TN: lit. "It's a glove."]
Saibancho: Globes? [TN: "glove" and "globe" are pronounced the same way]
Auchi: No, Your Honor. It's a glove, for baseball.
Saibancho: Oh, I see. A baseball glove.

>Answer: Press further & Of course it's relevant

Scene 6: "Writing on the Ground"

>Press 5th

Phoenix: (I can't believe this guy doesn't know what a microscope is...)
^
Naruhodo: (He looks so happy about not knowing...)

Byrde: Whew! I feel like I can breathe again!
^
Mako: I've become a huge fan of yours!

>Payne readies his next witness

Spoiler: Ushinawareta Gyakuten (The Lost Turnabout) Trial Day 1 Part 2
Scene 7: Recess

Maya: I hope I never get to be a forgetful old prune like you!
^
Mayoi: Must be the years catching up, huh?

Scene 8: Court Reconvenes

Character Note #2: The localization team added extra words for Wellington just because they had the room for it, but the text scrolls just as fast. He's just as annoying as ever.

>snip

Scene 9: "Witness Account"

>Answer: Has bad eyesight

Technicality Note #2: Because Japan runs on a different standard of measuring eyesight, it's 0.1 here.

Scene 10: "What Happened Next"

>Press 1st

Wellington: Yes, she did. She saw me and flew the nest like the guilty bird she is.
Oh, I'm sorry. Was that pun too hard for someone who only got a third-rate education?
Phoenix: (Actually, that did take me a few seconds to get...)
^
Moroheiya: Yes, she did. Truly like "the bird does not foul up the nest it leaves".
Oh, excuse me. It must be difficult for someone who came from a third-rate institution to comprehend.
Naruhodo: (That is true... you look like you can't comprehend where I'm coming from.)
[TN: The expression means one should always clean up after oneself.]

>Press 3rd

Gumshoe: Hey, pal! I graduated from a pretty good, I mean, top-ranked college!
Phoenix: (I don't believe this.)
^
Itonoko: Hey! I graduated from a second-rate, no, first-rate college!
Naruhodo: (...Really, this guy...)

Gumshoe: What!? Why you!!! You're just some lousy kid who...
^
Itonoko: W-what!? I'll have you know, I'm a second-rate, no, first-rate...

>Present: Autopsy Report

Wellington: You and your questions! As if you're trying to open all the layers of a Matryoshka doll.
^
Moroheiya: Nitpicking over every little thing, you're rather rude, aren't you?

>Answer: Question further

Scene 11: Indicting the Witness

>snip

Scene 12: Who's Phone?

>snip

Scene 13: Won the Case!

Character Note #3: Her nickname during her police training years was "The Fallen Angel". Beautiful, yet ominous... and sooo misleading to the Western audience. There are no ties to the Devil or whatnot; it's just meant to be a poetic name.

I like to think that Maya hit him hard, and thus gave him back his memory and another bump to match his first. (It doesn't say anything more about that here, though.)

Playing this case over, I realize that I've been a bit too hard on it. It's not that bad a case, despite the numerous BS moments, and pretty funny throughout. In fact, case 2-2 seems like the oddball out of the cases in JFA because it's so serious.

Once again, thank you so much for your hard work. :)
I must say I don't always understand why they change things for the localization. I mean, the glove/globe mistake for instance could have worked just as well for the English translation, since the judge has misheard other words before.

I'd say it takes a little quick wit to know how to manipulate a rough translation. In many cases, it's just a matter of reinterpretation, and certain English expressions can somewhat fill in for certain Japanese idioms. By now, I don't nitpick with minute details, such as if only one or two words have been changed for a matching cultural environment.

On that note, Phoenix's attitude compared to Naruhodo's is a pretty good example of to what degree the games have been localized. It's a very thin line, since they're meant to be the same person and character, but after viewing through these cases in close inspection, they're still pretty different. While Phoenix tends to act sillier or suggest stranger ideas, Naruhodo prefers to stick with smarting witty remarks. In fact, the latter takes on a bit of Edgeworth's air in court - acting polite and formal, but hiding a vicious lashing within those words.

But that's just my nitpicking opinion, really.

Anyway, I'll get to the next case later this week, so check back soon.

Scratch that. It's been over a month since I've revisited this thread. My apologies to all my viewers, but I've been pretty busy as of late.

Instead, I present a special in honor of the release of Dual Destinies! I'll be going through the game and taking notes of major changes made between versions, as I have been doing. It's still in its rough stages, as I don't have the complete script from either game, so if I miss any, please let me know.

I'll keep updating throughout the day, so keep checking back.

迷探偵

Oh, looking forward to that. I haven't played any of the games in English after GS3, so I'm actually more interested in those (including GS5) than GS2&3 ^^'
Page 1 of 2 [ 55 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Evidence