Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)

Page 1 of 2[ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Case 2 discussion thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

Godot's the Man

With the recent release of the Case 1 and 2 Fan Patch, many western fans will be playing this for the first time. This thread is for discussion of all things related to AAI2 case two. Spoiler tags don't need to be used in this thread when discussing the basics of case two. They should be used when discussing earlier cases or later cases, or the later parts of case two.
Re: Case 2 discussion thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

1000% Knight

NAITOU-SAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

...BP, stop trolling and go back to your corner, now.

Fate Testarossa

Bad Player wrote:
NAITOU-SAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

I see why BP never translated Case 2. xP

Also, Courtney and Sebastian are just... Ugh. Please, can they just die off already? They're just so... idiotic, it makes my brain hurt.

Fate is made by クロス

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Yeah it's pretty corny too imo. Courtney is okay. I like the fact that they exaggerated her being trustful in the law to the point where it's like a religion. I hate everything about Sebastian so far though, and all respect to the people who recorded those voices, but ahh... they just don't cut it for me. Sebastian's sound is washed out and Courtney's is just way too young sounding, but I guess the majority of the AA fanbase are young like me :P
Bad Player wrote:

I'm sorry for being intrusive, but why are you so obsessed with him? He got like some of the worst character art I can remember :P
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

The Law 'Shark'

Here's my current thoughts:

1: Finish case 1, Huzzah - Knightley deserved that!
2: Look forward to the next case, pressed to start.
3: Watch introd-....WHAT THE FUDGEIBLETZ?!
4: Confusion and Mindscrew.

Shall have to get back to this later, 'cause stuff to do!
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Case 2 in this game has some of the best case openings I've seen yet. It's so eerie and unsettling. Great atmosphere and it made me very hooked. The only thing I really didn't like until the point I'm at right now, is that boxer-dude (forgot his name). Ew, that artstyle, and he's also not funny at all.

Or maybe it isn't that the artstyle sucks, but it's clearly not by the same artist and it clashes. Did Fuse make this guy? It looks similar to the way sprites in GS5 were colored.

EDIT: Courtney's hairstyle... Do I need to say what I think is wrong to spell it out? Look at that... bulk. It's not even stylish. It's probably just as distracting as Amano's lump-ears.

1000% Knight

kwando wrote:
Also, Courtney and Sebastian are just... Ugh. Please, can they just die off already? They're just so... idiotic, it makes my brain hurt.

*slaps kwando*

Mikagami (Courtney) is great, actually.

Yumihiko (Sebastian) is... yeah, he's the stupidest person in the franchise, but he is a fantastic character.

Just trust me, and reserve your judgment on those two until the end of the game.

linkenski wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

I'm sorry for being intrusive, but why are you so obsessed with him? He got like some of the worst character art I can remember :P

Spoiler: GK2-1
-Neat character design and amusing animations (except his face in his penalty sprite... ew)
-Namepun I actually understood
-Amazing speech style
-Best voice clip in the entire franchise
-The only killer in all of AA to innovate on-the-fly without it being totally incoherent/idiotic

GK2-2 is the weakest case in the game imo, but that's not to say it's bad. The chain of logic is good, and unlike almost every other case in the series, the case against the defendant stands until almost the very end rather than crumbling after the first hour or so.
The biggest problem is a certain aspect which is just... :yogi: . If you thought the AA police were idiots before, you haven't seen anything yet.

I'll look forward to that.

I think you're right about Knightley's personality and his logic. That was indeed what I liked about case 1. It didn't drag or violate my willing suspense of disbelief like a lot of other Ace Attorney cases have in the past. But I can't get past the fact that his animations are ripoffs of Ocelot from MGS3. The gunslingning is clearly taken from that character. And while i know it's supposed to be symmetric with a chess board, his tie just doesn't match the rest of the colors and I think that's why I dislike his art design. Just in general, there's something that looks completely off with him.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Bad Player wrote:
-The only killer in all of AA to innovate on-the-fly without it being totally incoherent/idiotic

Spoiler:
I don't see how De Killer's on-the-spot fibs back in GS2 were so incoherent or idiotic, and while he's not the mastermind behind that case, he certainly is a killer.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
Innovate in terms of action, rather than testimony.

And before you object, "calling the police and telling them your client is adrian" is not really innovative

Spoiler:
What do you mean, "on-the-fly"? :yuusaku:

1000% Knight

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:
What do you mean, "on-the-fly"? :yuusaku:

Swapping the guns was nowhere in his original plan, and improvised on the spot.

Other examples of the killer acting "on the fly" would be I-2 (*rimshot*) and 4-3.

God I hate the "defendant" in the case. He's just a pain in the neck.

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
God I hate the "defendant" in the case. He's just a pain in the neck.

ムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリムリ

Yumihiko's not a bad kid, but just how did he manage to put himself in 8th place in the most recent official poll? Fans went crazy over him when he first debuted back in 2011, and he's still so popular.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

1000% Knight

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Yumihiko's not a bad kid, but just how did he manage to put himself in 8th place in the most recent official poll? Fans went crazy over him when he first debuted back in 2011, and he's still so popular.

You've played all of GK2, haven't you, Rubia?

He did redeem himself, and I respect that. He's just not among those I particularly care as much for. I barely met Uncle Shiga in this case, and he left a stronger impression on me than Yumi did.

Admittedly, Shiga also left a weaker ending impression than Yumi did, but aside from the 3rd case and part of the 5th, Shiga's role isn't too exemplified anyway.

...Those who haven't played the rest of GK2 probably have no idea what I'm talking about. It's okay; you will in due time.

迷探偵

It's been a while since I last played this case (actually, now I think about it, I've only played it when the game was first released), but GK2-2 was one of the cases I remember best, because the whole case was set-up as a homage to Ellery Queen. From the setting to the elimination conditions for the murderer and even the very last part...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I know someone here has already said to reserve judgment on them until the end of the game, but man... Courtney and Sebastian might be the most unlikable characters in the series going off just this case alone. A judge wandering around with an inept prosecutor that's clearly had a lot of strings pulled for him, helping him investigate just REEKS of really obvious corruption. Maybe that's the point, but how would she even be able to get away with that? >_> And then you add in how completely full of themselves they both are, and I don't even get satisfaction from defeating them. I'm just annoyed.

Aside from that, this case was pretty enjoyable. More twists and turns than I was expecting.

1000% Knight

JardW wrote:
I know someone here has already said to reserve judgment on them until the end of the game, but man... Courtney and Sebastian might be the most unlikable characters in the series going off just this case alone. A judge wandering around with an inept prosecutor that's clearly had a lot of strings pulled for him, helping him investigate just REEKS of really obvious corruption. Maybe that's the point, but how would she even be able to get away with that? >_> And then you add in how completely full of themselves they both are, and I don't even get satisfaction from defeating them. I'm just annoyed.

Which is why you're supposed to reserve judgment >.<

Bad Player wrote:
Which is why you're supposed to reserve judgment >.<

I know, I'm just saying they're gonna have a really hard time redeeming themselves if that's the direction their characters happen to be headed. :P

1000% Knight

You'll seeeeeeeeeeeee~

First off. I am angry because I didn't know someone made this thread before me, so now I look like an idiot.
Second, I don't know what everyone is talking about by case 2 sucking. I thought It was pretty good. I like Courtney a lot. I thought she is a great antagonist. I also like Sebastion because he is the first prosecutor to be featured as a main character that ISN'T Winstone Payne, who is antagonistic, but is a complete idiot. He's such I jerk that I love it every time I point his contradictions and show just how big of an idiot he is. Also, I like Raymond Shields a lot too! He's just such an awesome guy with an awesome objection. I can't not hate this character. And this is all coming from someone who has yet to play the rest of GK2. The only complaint I have with the case is how it's too compliticated to be just the second case in the game. The second game is supposed to help you ease into the game better, not be ultra-complicated.

Spoiler:
Also, is it bad that I figured out that the warden was the killer from the moment they introduced her? I was seriously screaming at the characters the whole time to realize who the killer was.

Behold! The Ace Attorney Band!

Bad Player wrote:
You'll seeeeeeeeeeeee~

Spoiler: Later in the game.
I really, really don't. Not only was it way too obvious from the get-go, but the characters were initially so unlikeable that I didn't care about their stories. Although while Sebastian got a new, brilliant sprite, Courtney remains as interesting as a sack of dry potatoes.

1000% Knight

Thane wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
You'll seeeeeeeeeeeee~

I really, really don't. Not only was it way too obvious from the get-go, but the characters were initially so unlikeable that I didn't care about their stories. Although while Sebastian got a new, brilliant sprite, Courtney remains as interesting as a sack of dry potatoes.

Spoiler: GK2
Yes they aren't very good people, but they're great characters.

I thought it was very interesting how Mikagami was supporting and following Yumihiko despite knowing he was an idiot and they were doing stupid, terrible things together, all in the pursuit of a higher, nobler goal.

If you don't, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Bad Player wrote:
Thane wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
You'll seeeeeeeeeeeee~

Spoiler: GK2
Yes they aren't very good people, but they're great characters.

I thought it was very interesting how Mikagami was supporting and following Yumihiko despite knowing he was an idiot and they were doing stupid, terrible things together, all in the pursuit of a higher, nobler goal.

If you don't, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

So it would seem.

All that negativity aside though, I really did like Manosuke Naitō. The chess references really appealed to my geekier side.

And now I've derailed the thread. I'll show myself out.

1000% Knight

Please, please, derailing a thread with Naitou-sama is never a problem in my book :larry2:

I think thane's argument was that he did indeed think Courtney and Sebastian were bad characters in the sense that he didn't care about how bad they were as people because the narrative didn't make them interesting in the first place. That means they are indeed bad people as well as being bad characters.

It's a writers job to keep their audience invested in their fiction, of course people will have differing tastes but both I as well as others agree that the way Sebastian and Courtney are both portrayed and characterized feels weak.

Thane wrote:
So it would seem.

All that negativity aside though, I really did like Manosuke Naitō. The chess references really appealed to my geekier side.

Concurred. I like the design of some of the villains in this game much more so than those of the previous game. It's the rival characters that don't catch my attention very well. They aren't innovative enough as characters, and the big reveals by the last case felt a bit more forced into their design than otherwise. This isn't to say that they're genuinely "bad", but that they aren't so impressive.
Spoiler: More opinions
I don't know if I have a natural bias toward professional assassins in this franchise, but Ryouken is indeed another of my favorites. Besides, having a blind monk assassin around more often than not makes things more interesting.

Spoiler: GK2-5
Having him and De Killer face off was one of those unforgettable moments.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I just finished Case 2. I liked it a lot. Now granted, it's new for me; I'm not replaying it, however my view on cases rarely gets more negative on further replays. If anything, I tend to forgive cases I dislike more on replays.

The case mysteries weren't the most surprising, but I liked most of the characters. Dogen is a really intriguing character; his introduction and history with Edgeworth reminds me of episodes of shows like Miami Vice where an old criminal the main character put in jail becomes involved in another case long after. Hopefully some of more of their background is revealed later on in the game.

I think Sebastian and Courtney are both interesting characters, but Courtney is by far the more interesting character. I'm interested in seeing how their arcs play out. They're not the best antagonists ever in an AA game, but their certainly much better than Godot, because at least their motivations make sense.

Overall, I'm enjoying GK2 a lot and I think its better than AAI. I'm excited to see how the game plays out.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

A Seeker of Truth

I have long since finished playing Case 2, but I might as well list some of my thoughts :phoenix:

Plot: In AAI, the plot feels like it kind of winds down in intensity; it goes from a murder in Edgeworth's office -something that hits close to home for AA fans- to a murder of a stranger on a plane. I liked the second case to AAI, don't get me wrong, but the hook was a lot less exciting then the previous case, that can't be denied. In AAI2 however, it goes from attempted assassination of a president to THE GUY YOU JUST FOUND GUILTY BEING MURDERED. That was undeniably surprising, and made me want to continue on to figure out what happened. Now the rest of the mystery, plot wise, was standard AA fare- that is pretty good with excellent turnabout twists, but not unforgettable- but that awesome hook to the mystery was just...well...awesome :apollo:

Characters: I liked both of the new main characters that they introduced... in a way. Justine Courtney is a truly intimidating opponent, seemingly not caring for truth as long as the law is upheld, and she felt like she could truly do good on her threats to take Edgeworth's badge, so as far as 'rivals' go, she's more then a match for Edgeworth. As for Debeste, he's also great... in how pathetic he truly is. He's got authority over Edgeworth, but he is a complete and total idiot who for the life of him CAN'T DO IT PROPERLY. Very rarely we get an incompetent opponent in AA; they're either 'geniuses' devoted to stopping you at every turn, or vetrans who clearly have the know-how to be able to outmaneuver you. Even though I think Debeste is a moron and don't like him, having to face off against an idiot makes for a refreshing change of pace. Everyone else though.... meh. They were good, but no real standout :ron: That said, I appreciated Sahwit's cameo; he's a creep, but seeing him again somehow felt....nostalgic, and made me smile :sahwit:

Overall: Good case, and made me more then a little excited to play the third :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

The case was good and quite long so it's always pleasurable, BUT there is a thing I totally didn't understand:

Why did the killer need to get rid of the body in such a complicated way again? From where Knightley was killed to get rid of him by the well and then to the workroom... I'm lost, can someone explain to me? (I let like 3 months between when I first played the case to 'End part 2' and I finished End part two a few days ago, so that may be why I'm lost).

Indochine Ramera wrote:
The case was good and quite long so it's always pleasurable, BUT there is a thing I totally didn't understand:

Why did the killer need to get rid of the body in such a complicated way again? From where Knightley was killed to get rid of him by the well and then to the workroom... I'm lost, can someone explain to me? (I let like 3 months between when I first played the case to 'End part 2' and I finished End part two a few days ago, so that may be why I'm lost).

Spoiler:
I think...
The warden set up the contraption down the well to give herself an alibi, as the body would have been dropped during the Animal Show.
She usually delivered goods to Dogen by sprinkling the well with perfume and dropping the items down there, and they would get picked up by Dogen's dog and brought to him. She wanted to frame Dogen so she did the same thing with the body.
When Dogen's dog brought him the body, he made the dog take it to the workroom.

The "Hound Piece" evidence is never used in this case and has no relevance to anything in the whole case? :C

Y'know

Dogen's bells

The video game boy; the one who wins

Oh dear...
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

1000% Knight

They bring all the boys to the yard.

(He rings them when he's finished making his milkshakes)

I can't be the only one with this ship?

Just beat this case.
Spoiler: AAI2
I didn't guess the killer till the circuit board.
I like the case, it had so much content and was pretty long. It would have been cool if you saw other criminals from previous cases. So far this game is blowing AAI out of the water.

OBJECTION.I object that is objectionable

I finished the this case last night , I didnt workout the killer till the circuit board however I did suspect the warden mainly because I noticed with AA games the killer is the one you have least interaction with ( doesnt apply to case 1 of this game).
It was a fun case I like justine and debeste ( he is soo stupid its unreal) But I look forward to seeing how they redem themselves as good lord to justine and her overrules :(:( I did feel that some parts did drag on as you then had to listen to testify again over something small like how you disproved justines reasoning then you all of a sudden brings up another point. Was annoying when worked out where the murder weapon was then it topok 20 mins before the characters realized lol

Overall a good case i looking forward to seeing lingering questions answered
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

[Whip the cream!]

This case was rather nice, and I got surprised by the turn of events - I actually didn't suspect Miwa at all. A character I greatly enjoyed, by the way. It was fun to meet Shigaraki and Yumihiko for the first time, those were the characters that I looked forward to meet the most before watching the playthrough. I really liked Souta, I found him sweet, but what annoyed me quite a bit was the fact that they immediately jumped to "he can't possibly be the killer - he's too timid!" It felt incredibly naïve to jump to such conclusions after just meeting the guy.
Spoiler: Case 5
Perhaps I wouldn't even think of that detail if I didn't accidentally spoil myself some year ago and found out what he really was, but now it just felt like some... "Suspect him even less! He could never kill anyone, aight? Aight? Gooh, you'll be surprised!"

Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Page 1 of 2 [ 45 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)