Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

Character NamesTopic%20Title

It seems like the AA:DD character names have not been fully analyzed yet.

Character name thoughts:

Athena Cykes: Athena is the name of a Greek deity, which creates a bit of a theme with Apollo. She was the goddess of courage and wisdom. “Cykes” is almost certainly a reference to “psyches,” which are what she analyzes. (The character page currently says it comes from “psychology,” but I think we can get more exact than that).

Bobby Fulbright: Along with his bright personality, the surname also allows Simon to make the “fool bright” insult.

Simon Blackquill: The first name may be there because of the “Simon says” thing. A quill is a pen, so perhaps it’s a “the pen is mightier than the sword” thing? More likely, it’s because a quill is made from a bird’s flight feather.

Tenma family: Tenma is apparently the name of a Japanese satellite, but that would seem more relevant if they were in the fourth and fifth chapters. There are also tons of anime with character names or titles containing “Tenma.” It’s not unheard of for the AA localizers to name things after other anime (Yoni Yogi – Yami Yugi)

Damian Tenma: The character page mentions The Omen. I’ve never seen The Omen, but I know that the name sounds like “demon” and is spelled a bit like the Greco-Roman demon-like figures the “daemons.” That relates to how intimidating he is.

Phineas Filch: Phineus turns out to be yet another obscure figure from Greek mythology. “Filch,” as mentioned on the character profile, is a synonym of “steal.” Since he seems to have a job vaguely resembling that of a caretaker, his name reminds me of Argus Filch from Harry Potter.

Florent L’Belle: This surname is very French. It basically means “the beauty.” Florence is a city in Italy. Florentine apparently can refer to gold that has been rubbed dull.

Constance Courte: “Courte” is similar to “court.” Constance sounds like “constant,” which could mean something like how trust was always a constant even during the dark age, or that she was a steady source of inspiration for somewhat troubled students like Newman. I looked it up, and Constance is the name of a lake between Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

Robin Newman: A robin is a type of bird. This game seems to have a bird and flight (spaceflight) theme, which often represents liberation.
Spoiler:
Perhaps liberation from parental expectations? Robin is also a fairly androgynous name. Robin Newman is a “new man” because she wasn’t originally a man and didn’t become a “man” until her parents forced her to.

Solomon Starbuck: “Starbuck” contains the word “star.” It also sounds like the coffee chain Starbucks, which sells drinks that can pep people up, much like he becomes extremely excitable once he gets over his sighing. Solomon starts with the same letter, which creates alliteration and gives him the initials “S.S.,” which are often used in the name of a ship or spaceship. However, with SOlomon, it becomes S.O.S., which is a distress signal that he probably sent.

Yuri Cosmos: Some Russian cosmonauts, like Yuri Gagarin, were named Yuri. “Cosmos” is pretty obvious.

Aura Blackquill: She certainly gives off a creepy aura in the eyes of the characters when she starts talking about her distrust for law, and the creepy music probably convinces players of this too. Having a scary character named “Aura” is a bit reminiscent of having intimidating characters named “Karma.”

Clonco: “Clonco” sounds like clone. If Clonco was made after Ponco, it could mean “clone of Ponco.”

Metis Cykes: Like Athena, she analyzes psyches. I looked it up, and “Metis” is a lesser-known figure in Greek mythology, who represented similar things to Athena. From Wikipedia:
Spoiler:
“In Greek mythology, Metis (Μῆτις, "wisdom," "skill," or "craft") was of the Titan generation and, like several primordial figures, an Oceanid, in the sense that Metis was born of Oceanus and Tethys, of an earlier age than Zeus and his siblings. Metis was the first great spouse of Zeus.[1]
By the era of Greek philosophy in the fifth century BC, Metis had become the Titaness of wisdom and deep thought, but her name originally connoted "magical cunning" and was as easily equated with the trickster powers of Prometheus as with the "royal metis" of Zeus.[1] The Stoic commentators allegorized Metis as the embodiment of "prudence", "wisdom" or "wise counsel", in which form she was inherited by the Renaissance.[2]
The Greek word metis meant a quality that combined wisdom and cunning. This quality was considered to be highly admirable and was regarded by Athenians as one of the notable characteristics of the Athenian character. Metis was the one who gave Zeus a potion to cause Kronos to vomit out Zeus' siblings.”

The “trickster” thing is kind of similar to Athena’s power.
Re: Character NamesTopic%20Title

IDV

British police officers are called "bobbies", and Fulbright is a Secret Service agent from Beverly Hills Cop III.

Clay Terran: Both his first and last names seem to be references to Earth. Clay is in the ground and "terran" is a science fiction term for humans (Starcraft, for example) that is derived from the Latin word "terra," meaning "Earth." He lived his entire life on Earth, since he was killed on the day he was supposed to go into space.

The video game boy; the one who wins

The name Clay could be a way of connecting him to Apollo (the "mud" in his Japanese name)
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Ultimate Survivor

The Ace Attorney wiki speculates that Aura's name may refer to the Aura satellite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(satellite)
Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

I'm pretty sure Solomon's name was used because his nickname, "Sol", is also the name of our sun from a solar point of view.

You skipped over Jinxie, who was probably named because she is believed to be cursed. She also dropped those charms on everyone she met, which might be a way of undoing the Jinx.

Aristotle Means: His last name is pretty obvious, as the end justified the Means. As for his first name, Aristotle was a Greek philosopher, and Prof. Means kind of looked like a Grecian bust. I found him creepy, especially when he smiled.

As for Aura, I kind of thought her name brought to my mind "aurora", which refers to the Northern and Southern Lights. Auras are also the invisible fields people project through their emotions or soul. Perhaps Aura was able to see something in the case no one else could, or re-examining the case forced the same.

Gettin' Old!

That "Starbuck" thing seems really grasping at straws XD Think it's probably just so they could include "Star" in his name.

Also

Spoiler: Big 5-5 spoilers
Another more obscure thing about Bobby's name is the possibility that it refers to a glare. Like "Fulbright" "Full" "Bright" exceptionally bright so you can't see the person for all the light, they'd be permanently encased in shadow and you wouldn't be able to see their face.,

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The penguin is MINE

In addition to the Greek mythology reference, I'm pretty sure Metis's name comes from "metapsychology," or at least is meant to sound like it.

Glimmerous Fop

I think "Solomon" refers to "sun & moon" (sol being the Latin word for sun). Sun, moon and star(s) are all part of his name.
And since nobody has mentioned it yet:
Ted Tonate refers to "detonate" and Candice Arme refers to "can disarm" (a bomb).

I'm fine and ready for justice!

AchtungBaby wrote:
I think "Solomon" refers to "sun & moon" (sol being the Latin word for sun). Sun, moon and star(s) are all part of his name.
And since nobody has mentioned it yet:
Ted Tonate refers to "detonate" and Candice Arme refers to "can disarm" (a bomb).

To add on to that, when you say Solomon quickly enough, it sounds, at least to me, similar to "solo man", which would be a reference to his new circumstances.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)