Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 5[ 186 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fighting game fanatics Unite!Topic%20Title

High level play

After some mention here and there about people here who play fighting games I got curious:

1: Which fighting game do you play? (I'm using the broad sense of the genre, so things like SSB is totally fine)
2: How would you describe you're current skill level in said game?
3: On what platform do you play said game?

4 and most important: WHO WANTS TO PLAY AGAINST EACH OTHER?

And also general fighting game discussions are welcome here.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Re: Fighting game fanatics Unite!Topic%20Title

I mostly play Dead or Alive - ranging from Numbers 2 through 5. Although I mostly play 4 or 5, due to having to set up my XBOX to play Ultimate and 3.
I guess I'm pretty decent with Ayane and some of the other characters. I don't know about online cause I barely ever have the urge to play online.
DoA 4 and 5 I play on the 360.

C-A

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

1. I'm pretty open to fighting games, but I mainly find myself playing Marvel the most and I own SSIV, Blazblue CS, and Tekken 6 (however I don't play these very often anymore). I also play Skullgirls, and I'll be getting Jojo's when it comes out tomorrow.
2. I'm pretty decent when I actually sit down and learn a character, but execution consistency goes out the window when I play against random people online.
3. I mainly play Xbox, but I also own a PS3 which Jojo's is on, and the PC for Skullgirls.

4. I'D LOVE TO PLAY AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE! I'm hoping we get a Smash community going here so we'll have people to play once it hits this Summer.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Gettin' Old!

I play Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue and Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

I also have UMVC3 but I just...it's just...too much for me.

I like King of Fighters but have none of the games in my personal possession.

I play mostly offline with my friends in person which can be rare but it's still enjoyable enough.

Also DIVEKICK if it counts.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Master of sharp things!

As much as I enjoy most fighting games, I'm not very good at them. I'm not sure if it's my response time or my lack of competitive-level hand eye coordination in particular, but I just can't play most "complex" fighters very well. Street Fighter, in particular, escapes my grasp. I can memorize and practice the combos all I want, but I just can't execute them half the time, much less in a meaningful matter. I'm a bit better at the slower-paced Soul Calibur games, but not by much. And while I can be fairly decent using specialized controllers, most people frown their use so I don't bother using them.

If more fighting games had simplified controls, like Smash Bros, maybe I'd actually be good at them. But then people would call them "kiddy" and probably wouldn't play them, so win/lose I guess.

Blak The Great wrote:
4. I'D LOVE TO PLAY AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE! I'm hoping we get a Smash community going here so we'll have people to play once it hits this Summer.

Well, we did have a somewhat active community for Brawl back in the day; I think the only big problem we had was bad timing in our schedules. I really hope we can make something work this time, though. If not for the 3DS version, than the Wii U one.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
Blak The Great wrote:

Well, we did have a somewhat active community for Brawl back in the day; I think the only big problem we had was bad timing in our schedules. I really hope we can make something work this time, though. If not for the 3DS version, than the Wii U one.

I think more people need to get a Wii U first for that to work. I know I do.

Gettin' Old!

Blak The Great wrote:
Blademaster_Orca wrote:
Blak The Great wrote:

I think more people need to get a Wii U first for that to work. I know I do.

Is internet play not confirmed for the 3DS yet?

I've got a Wii U for it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

High level play

I believe 3DS Smash supports online play. When Smash for the Wii U comes out then I'll probably buy the console, or if there is a crazy special before that or something.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Gardevoir lover

I only play smash and the Vs games.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

High level play

Klonoahedgehog wrote:

You play Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3?

High level play

Klonoahedgehog wrote:

Call me James

I play SSB (it counts, FGC elitists) and UMVC3, though it's getting harder to find anybody online for random sessions of Mahvel :sadshoe:
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Gettin' Old!

We have a fair few MahvelxCapcom folks here, but I don't think we ever organised enough for it.

Or at least my skills are too shameful that bringing my A-game would be a failure. Plus Blak had it on a different console to me (I'm on PS3) that we couldn't play.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Pierre wrote:
Plus Blak had it on a different console to me (I'm on PS3) that we couldn't play.

Well if you get Jojo's All Star Battle, we could play that ;~;

Gardevoir lover

Sjibbey wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:

I've played 2 and Tatsunoko.
Never touched 3.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

High level play

Pierre wrote:
We have a fair few MahvelxCapcom folks here, but I don't think we ever organised enough for it.

Or at least my skills are too shameful that bringing my A-game would be a failure. Plus Blak had it on a different console to me (I'm on PS3) that we couldn't play.

A darn shame, I have it on Xbox 360. Momentarily I don't even have Xbox live anymore since I purchased Streetfighter on Steam, so my Xbox is practically gathering dust right now. But for a good couple of matches I'd happily pay for a month of xbox live.

On another note, is anyone hyped for Ultra Streetfighter 4? Although it's a quick cash-in from Capcom I do have to admit I'm looking forward to the game. Normally I would be hype as hell, but Decapre's reveal killed a lot of hype for me.

Gettin' Old!

Sjibbey wrote:
Pierre wrote:

A darn shame, I have it on Xbox 360. Momentarily I don't even have Xbox live anymore since I purchased Streetfighter on Steam, so my Xbox is practically gathering dust right now. But for a good couple of matches I'd happily pay for a month of xbox live.

On another note, is anyone hyped for Ultra Streetfighter 4? Although it's a quick cash-in from Capcom I do have to admit I'm looking forward to the game. Normally I would be hype as hell, but Decapre's reveal killed a lot of hype for me.

:P I'm glad you enjoy it but from what I've played Street Fighter isn't for me, I don't like how much it's devolved to projectile/zoning/move spamming in my experience.

Also aren't you bothered by the fact they are just weaning you for money at this point? I think they should mosey onto Street Fighter 5, it just bothers me when a game releases so many full priced expansions of itself.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
On another note, is anyone hyped for Ultra Streetfighter 4? Although it's a quick cash-in from Capcom I do have to admit I'm looking forward to the game.

Ultra Streetfighter 4? Feels like Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 released a few months after Marvel VS Capcom 3, with 4 modes that could've easily be integrated into MVC3 to begin with AND characters that could've been released as DLC. But no, Capcom wanted money, so they just brought out an entirely "new" game so we'd jizz ourselves and buy it.

C-A

High level play

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
On another note, is anyone hyped for Ultra Streetfighter 4? Although it's a quick cash-in from Capcom I do have to admit I'm looking forward to the game.

Ultra Streetfighter 4? Feels like Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 released a few months after Marvel VS Capcom 3, with 4 modes that could've easily be integrated into MVC3 to begin with AND characters that could've been released as DLC. But no, Capcom wanted money, so they just brought out an entirely "new" game so we'd jizz ourselves and buy it.

C-A

You're right, I believe that UMVC3 was released within a year from MVC3 and it felt more like an expansion then a new game. The same goes for streetfighter 4 and it's later alterations. But considering these games are like 40 Euro's a piece (or with Streetfighter the extra dlc was €20 I believe) I still believe it's worth it. With new alterations comes new characters which you want to play and you'll need to know their shenanigans so you can block them. The netcode improves for a better online experience and little tweaks are made to make the game more balanced.

My point being: the tweaks may be minor and everything could be included from the get-go, but if I see how much pleasure I get from playing the bigger and better game for many hours then I consider it definitely worth the purchase.

In the case of Ultra Streetfighter 4 they imported 4 characters from StreetFighter x Tekken and gave Cammy a new outfit and moveset, so none of the 5 characters are really 'original new characters'. I also have my doubts on the red focus mechanic and the Ultra double, but I'm willing to give those the benefit of the doubt, but these are also from a technical point of view not hard to implement in the game.
But I'm going to be a sucker and pay €20 for the expansion (if you own AE edition you get a discount I believe), because those 20 euro's are going to give me 100+ hours of gaming enjoyment.

I've studied marketing myself and I don't agree with Capcom's policy regarding their treatment of fighting games. Like you said Cat, It's a get money quick scheme for little effort. But my desire for the game is greater than the urge to say: I recognize this marketing stunt and I'm not going to fall for it.

Call me James

Sjibbey wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I also have it on Xbox 360. All this is making me curious. What's your team? :Brush-Sniff:

Sjibbey wrote:
My point being: the tweaks may be minor and everything could be included from the get-go, but if I see how much pleasure I get from playing the bigger and better game for many hours then I consider it definitely worth the purchase.

I'm not saying they should include everything from the get-go. They can gladly patch the game and maybe expand a few things, especially give us new characters via DLC. I just see no point in bringing out an entire new game that feels like less than what I originally bought - I think a lot of people bought UMVC3 "only" cause of Phoenix, Strider or similar. One character, when they actually don't care about the others.
Well okay. There's one reason, as AngryJoe says. "F*** YOU, GIVE US MONEY!"

Now, I didn't buy UMVC3. Or MVC3. I originally thought of buying UMVC3 "just because" of Phoenix, I thought it'd be fun to play as him, see his movesets. But I was lacking a bit of money to buy it and looked online for some footage. I saw the game and decided... nah. Phoenix isn't enough for me to buy an entire game.

Just like how I do not want to buy Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, just because it has ONE character in it that I want - Ein. Sure, there's also Rachel, Jack Bryant, Momiji and Leon... but I don't really care for them. I asked online what other things may have changed, if it was worth buying it... but apparently nothing really changed except these new characters and some balancing changes. (Which I dunno, I didn't notice anything overly unbalanced that needed fixing...) So I am not buying it. I'm happy with my DoA 5.

Now, if UMVC3 came with more modes, new characters, new stages and ALL SORTS of other new stuff, then I might think "Okay, well they brought this out barely six months after MVC3, but it seems there's enough new stuff for me to explore" and I might think buying it might be justified. But only eight new characters and 4 modes - which spectator mode that could've easily been put into MVC3 via DLC/patch... no. Not for me.

C-A

High level play

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I also have it on Xbox 360. All this is making me curious. What's your team? :Brush-Sniff:

Phoenix Wright on point, Dante second and Zero as an anchor. Basically Lythero's team, but with an incredibly powerful anchor instead of limitless voomerangs and redhotkicks.

Catmuto wrote:
Now, if UMVC3 came with more modes, new characters, new stages and ALL SORTS of other new stuff, then I might think "Okay, well they brought this out barely six months after MVC3, but it seems there's enough new stuff for me to explore" and I might think buying it might be justified. But only eight new characters and 4 modes - which spectator mode that could've easily been put into MVC3 via DLC/patch... no. Not for me.

C-A

You have a legitimate point. But take into consideration that there were also balancing patches and improved online functionality plus that the game had a lower price on release. So if you didn't own a copy of MVC3 but wanted to play it, UMVC3 would be a steal.

Of course, but if you look at it from the people who bought MVC3 initially's point of view, it can be pretty annoying. Look at me. I got DoA5, shortly before DoA5+ for the Vita came out, which had the other characters in it. Since I didn't have a Vita, it wasn't that bad. Then a few months later, I hear DoA5 Ultimate comes out onto PS3 AND 360, although I had the game for the 360 (and the PS3 first, but that's another story)
It annoyed the shit out of me that Ein, a long-standing character of the rooster alongside Leon was not DoA5 to begin with and that I instead got Virtua Fighter characters that I don't care about, don't really know and move so differently from the DoA characters, they feel like very badly implemented characters. And then I find out, hey, you know that money you practically WASTED on DoA5? Your precious Ein is only in the Ultimate version, nyeee~

C-A

The Chocolateholic of CR

Dragon Quest 8
Eh I have to say I am pretty good on it since I know mostly where to go.
PS2

Monster Rancher 4
Expert
PS2

I have both on the PS2 Emulator so yea..... >_>
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

High level play

CatMuto wrote:
Of course, but if you look at it from the people who bought MVC3 initially's point of view, it can be pretty annoying. Look at me. I got DoA5, shortly before DoA5+ for the Vita came out, which had the other characters in it. Since I didn't have a Vita, it wasn't that bad. Then a few months later, I hear DoA5 Ultimate comes out onto PS3 AND 360, although I had the game for the 360 (and the PS3 first, but that's another story)
It annoyed the shit out of me that Ein, a long-standing character of the rooster alongside Leon was not DoA5 to begin with and that I instead got Virtua Fighter characters that I don't care about, don't really know and move so differently from the DoA characters, they feel like very badly implemented characters. And then I find out, hey, you know that money you practically WASTED on DoA5? Your precious Ein is only in the Ultimate version, nyeee~

C-A

But don't you look at the character roster if you buy a new installment of a fighting game you played before? I mean if Ein is your main reason to play the game you should probably make sure he's in it.
I don't know what I'd do if StreetFighter 5 wouldn't have Vega (claw) in it. I'd probably still buy it, but it would leave a sour aftertaste.

Anthony wrote:
Dragon Quest 8
PS2

Monster Rancher 4
Expert
PS2

Aren't those both RPG's? Nothing wrong with them, but this is a topic for fighting games you know.

Call me James

Sjibbey wrote:
Professor Yoshi wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:

Phoenix Wright on point, Dante second and Zero as an anchor. Basically Lythero's team, but with an incredibly powerful anchor instead of limitless voomerangs and redhotkicks.

Don't mess with Joe anchor, man. Especially when you combine it with Lythero's uncanny ability to pull
Viewtiful comebacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyEaC9IGMEQ

My team's Nick on point, Dante second and Akuma anchor. Had to really think what my third character would be, because Phoenix and Dante are too good of a shell to say no to. Million Dollars DHC to Maya = Easiest Turnabout Mode I ever got :object:

Chose Akuma since Tatsu assist is a great GTFO move if anyone gets too close to Nick, and Akuma as anchor is great.

Quote:
But don't you look at the character roster if you buy a new installment of a fighting game you played before? I mean if Ein is your main reason to play the game you should probably make sure he's in it.

I'm a long running fan of DoA, I bought it because it was the new DoA game and it looked awesome. And considering that Ein, as I said, was a long-running part of the rooster since DoA2, when he initially appeared, I thought I didn't need to look. It's like bringing out Street Fighter without Ryu or Ken. Or bringing out... Smash Bros without Mario, Link or the other "long-standing presences". You never think they WOULD bring them out that way, so you see no need to check.

C-A

The Chocolateholic of CR

Sjibbey wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Dragon Quest 8
PS2

Monster Rancher 4
Expert
PS2

Aren't those both RPG's? Nothing wrong with them, but this is a topic for fighting games you know.

Yes they are RPG but they are fighting games. o.o
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

Gettin' Old!

Heeeyoo as a fighting game Rookie can you guys explain what an 'Anchor' is?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Call me James

Pierre wrote:

Basically the final character that you control that comes out to fight in the VS. series. The only time I've heard it be used is in the VS. series anyway.

In Mahvel's case -

1st = Point
2nd = Middle/battery
3rd = Anchor

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Anthony wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Dragon Quest 8
PS2

Monster Rancher 4
Expert
PS2

No they're not. It's not Street Fighter, therefore, not a fighting game.

Gettin' Old!

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Basically the final character that you control that comes out to fight in the VS. series. The only time I've heard it be used is in the VS. series anyway.

In Mahvel's case -

1st = Point
2nd = Middle/battery
3rd = Anchor

Gah such terminology makes it clear I've got a long way to go.

Also Anthony while Blak-sama's definition is a little narrow, Street Fighter is a good example of a fighting game. RPG's are a different genre though they do have some fighting in them it's not what we're looking for here.

Listening to a nice song about Ken just now.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Anthony wrote:

RPGs and Fighting games are different genres. With Fighting games, he doesn't mean RPGs that have you fight random battles. He means... more the competitive Fighting games, where you pick a character and fight against another one. You know, like Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Marvel VS Capcom, Super Smash Bros, etc.

C-A

Call me James

Pierre wrote:
Professor Yoshi wrote:
Pierre wrote:

In Mahvel's case -

1st = Point
2nd = Middle/battery
3rd = Anchor

Gah such terminology makes it clear I've got a long way to go.

There's honestly not that much to know/learn when it comes to terminology. Just know of the basics and you're pretty much set. The real importance is knowing what that terminology relates to in regards to how you play. That, and knowing your characters inside out so you know automatically if you're safe when you do certain attacks or even more dastardly stuff like if your attack is unblockable.

Gettin' Old!

I suppose so, probably need to put in more practice but I lack people who'd really play with me these days :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Call me James

Pierre wrote:
I suppose so, probably need to put in more practice but I lack people who'd really play with me these days :ron:

Just a shame you don't play the Xbox 360 version, I'm always up for a set or two against anyone that wants one :sad-maya:

High level play

Pierre wrote:

Man I love OC remix! It's got good remixes for nearly every game!

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Just a shame you don't play the Xbox 360 version, I'm always up for a set or two against anyone that wants one :sad-maya:

What's your gamertag? If I'm going to buy xbox-live again then I want to be darned sure I can play against you. Also I really need an hour of training mode or so, since I haven't played in a long time (although I watch matches weekly). My gamertag is Sjibbey by the way.

Call me James

Sjibbey wrote:

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Pierre wrote:

What's your gamertag? If I'm going to buy xbox-live again then I want to be darned sure I can play against you. Also I really need an hour of training mode or so, since I haven't played in a long time (although I watch matches weekly). My gamertag is Sjibbey by the way.

JusticeViaDeath :yogi: You can just taste the cheese, I know :gymshoe:

Sent you a friend request, by the way.

High level play

Ok, I'll dust this baby off and see I have got some combos left after all this time. TO THE TRAINING ROOM!

Edit: just bought 1 month of Xbox live, So now I can play UMVC3 and SF AE edition on Xbox.

High level play

Just a heads up for all you fighting game fans: If you have xbox live gold you can download Super Streetfighter AE for FREE in june!

Don't miss out if you don't already own this game!

Page 1 of 5 [ 186 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station