Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)

Page 11 of 13[ 488 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...Topic%20Title

The cape is self-fluttering

Nearavex wrote:
I... still don't get how Phoenix saying "guilty" there could help in any way - just because he gives up on a trial doesn't mean it's enough to convict a defendant.

To the contrary, the judge has pretty much made up his mind there - saying guilty wouldn't save or convict anyone, since even Edgeworth couldn't come up with a proof of Engarde's guilt.

Actually, I think it would seal fates of both Maya and Adrian. Adrian would be found guilty and Maya would be killed for Phoenix's outburst.

It's true that Phoenix requesting a guilty verdict wouldn't necessarily change the outcome, but I don't see how Maya would be killed? Unless you mean that Matt would spitefully order a hit on her in response to Phoenix's actions in court.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Y'know

Huh? Wouldn't Shelly just assume that Phoenix broke the conditions and that dropping Engarde's defense would result in him killing her?

Nearavex wrote:
Huh? Wouldn't Shelly just assume that Phoenix broke the conditions and that dropping Engarde's defense would result in him killing her?

Well, maybe early on in the trial. But I was under the impression that the only thing Shelly wanted was an acquittal. As long as he got it, he would let Maya go free.

If the trial was at a point where it didn't matter what Phoenix did, because Matt would get off regardless, I don't see Shelly having much of a reason to kill Maya.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Either way, I would be facing a limitation or flaw of the legal system, so it's just a matter of doing a comparison between the consequences/risks and choosing the path that fits more with my personal values.

In my case, it would be Guilty. By choosing "Not Guilty", I could be saving Maya's life, but there wouldn't be any guarantee of it. How could I know if De Killer really intended to free Maya in the scenario Engarde is acquitted? Besides, Engarde did deserve punishment. Doesn't matter much if he directly killed someone or hired someone to fulfill his wishes, he is the main instigator of a homicide.
Finally, not least important, it's obviously not right to send an innocent person (Andrews) to death sentence. It's the biggest mistake a courtroom can commit, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

The game keeps emphasizing that De Killer is a man of his word, so of course he would set Maya free

I chose guilty, though, because I like Adrian more than Maya. I always think it's weird how when the moment of the true verdict comes (before Engarde scratches his face) Mia says it doesn't matter what I chose cause Engarde will either die or rot in prison. What about Adrian? Her life is still on the line if I choose not guilty

JesusMonroe wrote:
The game keeps emphasizing that De Killer is a man of his word, so of course he would set Maya free

I chose guilty, though, because I like Adrian more than Maya. I always think it's weird how when the moment of the true verdict comes (before Engarde scratches his face) Mia says it doesn't matter what I chose cause Engarde will either die or rot in prison. What about Adrian? Her life is still on the line if I choose not guilty

That's a good point. I sense Mia was banking on the fact that Engarde is a coward who values his life above anything else. One of the things she suggested for Phoenix's miracle, if I recall, was to "make Engarde wish for a guilty verdict." At the time, it was an impossibility, because there was no reason for Engarde to wish for a guilty verdict. But once the truth was presented to de Killer, Engarde knew there was no way he could walk free without losing his life.

...NAILED IT

Racing through the sky like a Missile

JesusMonroe wrote:

Because she knew Enguarde would chicken out and accept a guilty verdict anyway. De Killer might as well have been waiting just outside the door all that time, who knows. Besides, Nick couldn't possibly be serious if he chose "not guilty" by then; it'd just be his hidden joker side popping out at an inappropriate time, and everyone would glare at him. Status quo.

I chose "guilty" both times when I had a conscience the first time through. Then, after I finished to the end, I reloaded the files and chose "not guilty" both times to even things out. It's only fair.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

I chose guilty. It just felt out of character to me for Phoenix to be taunting Engarde, horrible person or not.

Composer, thinker, talker

I chose not guilty, because my job is to be his "defense attorney," whether he is actually guilty or not. Shelly's the one who actually killed, making things a lot more complicated than they could have been, and I believed in the actual truth concerning Matt Engarde being made known... somehow. Either way, I doubted Adrian would get convicted of anything, since I was sure of her innocence since the first time I met her.

Also the second time (even though the situation was so crazy that it really wouldn't matter) I chose "not guilty" just because I personally wanted to see the sucker get off'd by Shelly :D

Scientific Investigator

The first time I chose "Not Guilty" Since I didn't want Maya to die, and for the second time, since everything was clear that Engarde was blackmailing Shelly, and Shelly won't kill Maya, I chose "Guilty" since he was in a kind of way "the real killer"

Spoiler: 2.4
The first time they asked me to choose a verdict I remember picking "Not Guilty" because Phoenix felt backed into a corner and Maya's life was on the line. Ultimately Adrian hadn't had her trial yet so there was still time to help her... and which ever way you look at it. I knew saying "Guilty" was probably the right thing to do but... I guess I felt Maya's situation was more dire than Adrian's.

The second time you are asked I chose "Not Guilty" again, chiefly just to see what happened if you did but also because Matt didn't actually kill Juan and you are supposed to be his defence attorney.

Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own

Mia Payne

Not guilty.

Because Matt Engarde is innocent, of murder. Shelly de Killer is the one who actually killed Juan.

I chose guilty. I just couldn't look at that guy and say I want him to be acquitted

Blizdi wrote:
Not guilty.

Because Matt Engarde is innocent, of murder. Shelly de Killer is the one who actually killed Juan.

This argument is so dumb... The last day of the trial was about who hired De Killer, not who did the assassination.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Guilty. He always has been guilty to me and I've always been choosing guilty.

Somehow, I really hate Engarde.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

Composer, thinker, talker

Mary Faraday wrote:
Guilty. He always has been guilty to me and I've always been choosing guilty.

Somehow, I really hate Engarde.

Mary Faraday wrote:
Somehow

Quite hard to figure out why you hate him so much, huh? Sociopaths that want other people dead are just that likeable.

Spoiler: spoiler

Oh wait.

I chose for Matt Engarde to serve guilty sentence for two reasons.
1. I'd rather ruin my winning streak than to let a criminal get away with murder
2. Even if he WAS not guilty he would probably die the second he walked out of the courtroom.

The video game boy; the one who wins

As for Matt, I always felt like "Not guilty" was the less humane option. Like yeah, I'll let DeKiller take care of you, while technically giving you the victory.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Missile_Lover wrote:
I chose for Matt Engarde to serve guilty sentence for two reasons.
1. I'd rather ruin my winning streak than to let a criminal get away with murder
2. Even if he WAS not guilty he would probably die the second he walked out of the courtroom.

Actually,this thread is talking about when Phoenix knew that Engarde was guilty for sure and had to choose between saving Maya or letting a murderer go free and have an innocent person executed.
Signature loading, please wait...

I was thinking, what exactly did Matt do to Celeste that was so terrible?

He dated her, it didn't work out, end of story. She dates Juan, Matt tells Juan to hurt him, Juan overreacts calls off the wedding, Celeste is caught in the middle, etc. I get that (Juan seems like the bigger asshole to be honest). It seems like whatever Celeste could reveal in her suicide note wouldn't be that damaging to Matt at all (maybe it wasn't since Juan forged a note). So, Matt's goal was to just try and prevent false slander from getting out? Doesn't every celebrity have to deal with that?

Eh

JesusMonroe wrote:

He dated her, it didn't work out, end of story. She dates Juan, Matt tells Juan to hurt him, Juan overreacts calls off the wedding, Celeste is caught in the middle, etc. I get that (Juan seems like the bigger asshole to be honest). It seems like whatever Celeste could reveal in her suicide note wouldn't be that damaging to Matt at all (maybe it wasn't since Juan forged a note). So, Matt's goal was to just try and prevent false slander from getting out? Doesn't every celebrity have to deal with that?

Eh

Maybe she came across his scars and realized he was a sociopath?

Or maybe Matt suffers from a persecution complex and simply THOUGHT she had known something that could be revealed in a suicide note that would be publicized. Then again, that suicide note makes no sense. If Matt had cameras practically all over Juan's home (and I don't think he's the type to avoid the bathroom or toilet) then when exactly DID Juan forge the note?

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

I distinctly remember that even being a point Phoenix brought up to make Adrian look more guilty.
"If Mr. Engarde knew about the suicide note in the bear, he would also know it was fake!" (paraphrased)

And then Edgeworth said it was pretty much speculation as Phoenix couldn't prove the note was written in front of the bear

And Cat, I don't think Engarde had cameras "all over." Just in the bear, and that was mostly for blackmailing De Killer

JesusMonroe wrote:
And Cat, I don't think Engarde had cameras "all over." Just in the bear, and that was mostly for blackmailing De Killer

I recall Edgeworth revealing that he had found "this spy camera" in Juan's home and not at the crime scene at the hotel. And also something about finding multiples of them.

C-A

- Franziska von Karma!

JesusMonroe wrote:

He used her, according to Adrian.

...NAILED IT

Nymeria wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

She was the one who let herself be used. So she has herself to blame.
Eat your heart out, Adrian.

C-A

[Whip the cream!]

Fist of Justice wrote:
- Franziska von Karma!

Now, that was a twist. :psycho-matt:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The Bulbasaur Attorney

This one was nerve-wracking. At first I thought "Not Guilty" but that means letting Douchey Mc Douchebag go off free and jailing Adrian Andrews....but then choosing Guilty would mean that Maya dies which is not good either......but I ended up choosing Guilty because I thought there was a 20% chance, everything was gonna be ok.
<insert witty signature here>

Bulbasaur-Is-Awesome wrote:
This one was nerve-wracking. At first I thought "Not Guilty" but that means letting Douchey Mc Douchebag go off free and jailing Adrian Andrews....but then choosing Guilty would mean that Maya dies which is not good either......but I ended up choosing Guilty because I thought there was a 20% chance, everything was gonna be ok.

Maybe I'm too cynical but obviously they were never gonna pull it through. So the pressure and tension instantly disappeared if you thought about it that way for even a second.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Nymeria wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

She was the one who let herself be used. So she has herself to blame.
Eat your heart out, Adrian.

C-A

Having been acquainted with the deceased, Adrian clearly knows more about the nature of Matt and Celeste's relationship than, say, you.

...NAILED IT

Nymeria wrote:
Having been acquainted with the deceased, Adrian clearly knows more about the nature of Matt and Celeste's relationship than, say, you.

The fact THAT she knows the deceased, and her obvious co-dependency on her, automatically means that she is HEAVILY biased on how she saw the entire relationship, whether when it was going on or after she was dumped. So even if Adrian suddenly said that Matt actually treated her well, I still wouldn't buy it cause she sees Celeste on a goddamn fucking golden pedestal through rose tinted glasses.

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

Are you seriously claiming that the victim is at fault in an abusive relationship?

Nurio wrote:
Are you seriously claiming that the victim is at fault in an abusive relationship?

If they don't at least attempt to get out of it, then yes. :ron: I'm not saying it's their fault for being abused, I'm saying that if they willingly remain in it (without attempting to break free) then they are at fault for allowing the abuse to continue.

C-A

[Whip the cream!]

Well, hindsight is 20/20. People get broken down, etc. Everybody knows that one should break free from abuse - in theory. When they're actually in that situation it's a whole different story. People being able to break free quickly - good for them, that's amazing. But others, they have their reasons, even if those reasons aren't "logical".

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Well, hindsight is 20/20. People get broken down, etc. Everybody knows that one should break free from abuse - in theory. When they're actually in that situation it's a whole different story. People being able to break free quickly - good for them, that's amazing. But others, they have their reasons, even if those reasons aren't "logical".

And "normalization process". People don't actively and willingly let themselves be used and/or abused, and if they do, there's something behind it. Either way, you can't judge people who end up in these situations.

Back to Matt and Celeste though; was anything specific actually said about their relationship? All I can remember was that they dated and then afterwards he got and told Juan about it just to rub it in that he was #1 even there.

[Whip the cream!]

Well, she did write in her suicide note that she felt used, if I recall it correctly, but that's perhaps what you meant?

I didn't remember that. She felt used by Matt?

[Whip the cream!]

I looked it up just now. "Used and then thrown away by Engarde".

I see then. I was under the impression that shit only started once she was gonna marry Juan.
Page 11 of 13 [ 488 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)