Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 6 of 6[ 215 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Re: PLvAA General Discussion Thread (spoilers!)Topic%20Title

The thing is most crossovers are never all that good most are terrible and forgettable this one could certainly join the list as for the characters most of them are either boring or annoying excluding Luke Professor Layton Maya and Phoenix the rest just don't have any substance personality wise like Kira for example
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do

You know, a Mario game!

If there's ever a sequel to this game, I'd like to see it be a crossover between Apollo Justice and Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. Has anyone else here played that game? Just like GS4, it's set in the future of its franchise, and features 2 new protagonists, Alfendi Layton and Lucy Baker, who I feel would interact perfectly well with Apollo and Trucy. In fact, Layton Brothers: Mystery Room is pretty much a GS game already; it's split into cases with each case being a different murder, half of the character names are puns, and there's even a magatama-like system with a character's heart being blocked by an outer shell. I think this would work perfectly.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

"Eggs?"

dimentiorules wrote:
If there's ever a sequel to this game, I'd like to see it be a crossover between Apollo Justice and Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. Has anyone else here played that game? Just like GS4, it's set in the future of its franchise, and features 2 new protagonists, Alfendi Layton and Lucy Baker, who I feel would interact perfectly well with Apollo and Trucy. In fact, Layton Brothers: Mystery Room is pretty much a GS game already; it's split into cases with each case being a different murder, half of the character names are puns, and there's even a magatama-like system with a character's heart being blocked by an outer shell. I think this would work perfectly.

Now that WOULD be cool. I have played through Mystery Room multiple times, and I can just imagine all the funny moments...
Spoiler: Layton Bros Mystery Room spoilers
They would probably all include Potty Prof threatening to cut Apollo's tongue out! :apollo-shock:

Then it's settled, then. This must become a thing.
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

The video game boy; the one who wins

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/13/professor-layton-vs-ace-attorney-beautiful-hollow/
I just read this, which I found interesting. I agree with most of the points he's making, especially the title: as much as I liked playing this game (and as much as I want to love it) it doesn't leave much afterwards that stays with you, at least that's my experience, although it was a few years since I played it. I know I had fun while I was playing it, and felt quite immersed (but also quite a few boring bits if memory serves), but it doesn't stick. It's like something is lacking, and I think "hollow" is a good way of describing it. That said, I want to replay it sometime relatively soon. It also holds a bit of nostalgia for me since it was the first game I got for my 3DS, as a graduation gift.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

The Fire Witch and the Golden Court left plenty for me to remember. In fact I do remember quite a lot of it which is quite something considering I've only played the game once. Meanwhile a lot of DD's cases and SoJ feel like a bit of a blur. I've played DD twice and SoJ once but SoJ was quite recently.

The villains were memorable, the backstories for the featured characters stood out to me. The themes of labyrinthia before the big twist sticks out still, the funny moments like when Luke and Maya turn the Layton statue or when the court is befuddled by the term "Logic" and personal moments like when Luke testifies or when bad stuff happens to Maya and the chapter following it. I was pretty invested and the game had my attention the whole way through except for a few layton parts and the final trial where the pacing shit the bed.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

What did he do this time...?

linkenski wrote:
The Fire Witch and the Golden Court left plenty for me to remember. In fact I do remember quite a lot of it which is quite something considering I've only played the game once. Meanwhile a lot of DD's cases and SoJ feel like a bit of a blur. I've played DD twice and SoJ once but SoJ was quite recently.

The villains were memorable, the backstories for the featured characters stood out to me. The themes of labyrinthia before the big twist sticks out still, the funny moments like when Luke and Maya turn the Layton statue or when the court is befuddled by the term "Logic" and personal moments like when Luke testifies or when bad stuff happens to Maya and the chapter following it. I was pretty invested and the game had my attention the whole way through except for a few layton parts and the final trial where the pacing shit the bed.

I agree, PLvsAA has much higher "highs" and much lower "lows". Those two cases in particular were fantastic and are two of the best in AA history, but that final case and the plot twists... I can look fast those flaws and enjoy this game as a very good one, but it's not quite great thanks to those problems. The chemistry between the four main characters is solid and all of them are portrayed correctly and are interesting to watch play out, especially the fallout of the Golden trial.

DD and SoJ just feel like a lot of "meh" to me... nothing terrible but just a bit disappointing because the rest of the series has set my expectations so high. I still enjoy these two games but I prefer PLvsAA over both.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Happy Maria

Barring the Layton parts which I just dislike in general, I really do like this game. Only problems are:

• That the twist is ridiculous even for Layton but even then they continue despite that and have a pretty great climax.
  • The puzzles are easy considering it's a Layton game as well.
  • Layton and Espella come off as bland to me in this game.
  • The court parts are great but go on a little too long (especially the second part of the final witch trial which was just boring exposition with crappy pacing).
  • Layton really shouldn't have the role he has in the trials and the gameplay systems of the two aren't really meshed together that well and are mutually exclusive for the most part.
  • The game also is super long and you can't really replay trials which means you have to start a new game to replay those.

Other than that, I love this game so so much. I don't feel it deserves the hate it gets for the most part. So much better than DD which I had just come off of at the time.

Quote:
That the twist is ridiculous even for Layton

Thank you. It tires me when people are trying to justify it in AA-contexts like "if you'd played the Layton games you'd know the twists are always like this so it's fine", like, honey, I've played Layton games too so I'm familiar and mostly alright with the Layton-style twists, I still think this one is dumb.

Happy Maria

Yeah, the twist is kind of similar to the Diabolical Box one but that least that one had some foreshadowing to it iirc. This one comes out of nowhere and was clearly unplanned.

What did he do this time...?

Quote:
Layton really shouldn't have the role he has in the trials

I think Layton's role in the trials are fine barring the final trial (first witch trial he arrives midway and introduces the use of the book of spells and assists Layton to catch the witch, second one he is the victim). Layton helping Phoenix through that first trial was something I wanted to see more of. Of course, basically everything with the final case went wrong and Layton being the prosecutor and having him solve all the mysteries and outsmart Phoenix was not done well.

Quote:
That the twist is ridiculous even for Layton but even then they continue despite that and have a pretty great climax.

Yes, this game's twist(s) are so out there and beyond the normal Layton twist. I am open to having a crazy twist (Unwound Future did it really well even though it was ridiculous, the aforementioned Diabolical Box's was dumb and well flat), but to me this ruins the mystery and intrigue. Solving the mysteries is supposed to be satisfying in Layton games, but in this one it turned out to be very unsatisfying.

Quote:
and the gameplay systems of the two aren't really meshed together that well and are mutually exclusive for the most part.

The one Turnabout Puzzle was fun and it was a great way to mesh the gameplay styles together... but there was only one. There was so much missed potential here. Why not at the very least make the final story puzzle a Turnabout Puzzle?
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Happy Maria

I dislike the professor's condescending attitude in the first trial imo, and I felt it was a bit mean. Phoenix is pretty much the underdog in the whole story because even in the first and last Witch trial he's basically upstaged by Layton and does very little in the Layton parts. It felt pretty unbalanced to make so much of the game focused on Layton for AA fans. Another minor criticism I have with the game. It could've meshed together like the Turnabout Puzzles as you mentioned. They were a cool concept iirc but using them only once was disappointing.

The mystery solving part of the twist in this game is also pretty meh. The second part of the Witch trial is just boring exposition for the most part and the game doesn't even try to make this exciting.

I hope I'm not coming across as too negative though, because I really did enjoy is game for what it was! It's just that it has some pretty big flaws (most likely to the skirmishes in the development process, which is explained in the bonus episodes) that I can't overlook.

Surf's Up!

Southern Corn wrote:
The puzzles are easy considering it's a Layton game as well.

As someone who has played the Ace Attorney games, but not the Professor Layton games, I'm grateful for that! In fact, just looking at the usual kind of puzzles involved in a Professor Layton game gives me a headache.

Replaying it now and first of all it looks so gorgeous. The use of the 3D effects are really nice. Just looking around and hearing the comments on stuff and talking to people is pleasant, I think I'm taking more time to get into that and being immersed than last time but it might have been because I was more eager to see where the story was going. Also didn't realize until now that you can click multiple times on the same thing to get different connected comments from different characters.
I'm really enjoying it but
Spoiler: entire game
it's a shame to know that the whole plot will kind of fall apart by the end.

One thing I find curious and that I don't remember really thinking about my first time is that the cutscenes seem more like dramatisations rather than showing events that/as they actually transpired, at least some of them, like
Spoiler:
Espella casting the spell in the woods, or the one right before the first witch trial where they walked in to see a witch get burned but then acted all shocked when the same thing happened to Kira.

It's nice to see little hints scattered throughout too.

Spoiler:
One thing I found pretty intriguing was the kind of last thursdayism-ish thing with the false memories of having had a childhood in Labyrinthia and how they implemented new villagers as if they'd always been there, like with Phoenix and Maya as bakers. And that shades, i.e previously sentenced "witches" and their "victims" can eventually return to the town and be re-introduced into the story and nobody will be the wiser. It begs the question of how many revisions of the Story have actually happened, murders and witch trials everyone have forgotten about. Maybe Kira has been burned as a witch once before, for instance, maybe Ms Primstone has been a witch, maybe Barnham was once a victim etc. And maybe everyone seem so fulfilled in their respective roles because if someone isn't happy, the Storyteller can just rewrite them into something else and alter everyone's memories. I can't see there really being a place to explore this in the game's story, but it's quite interesting to think about.

Yabba Dabba Doo

I'm still waiting for my DGS copy to come in the mail, so I figured I might as well replay this to pass the time.

Spoiler:
It's...honestly better than I remember it being. The twist is still all sorts of stupid, and the ending is terrible gameplay-wise, but everything else is pretty damn good. The trials were fun, the main characters besides Espella were fantastic (especially the Storyteller and Darklaw, goddamn were they amazing), the side characters were classic Layton weird, and the presentation is just incredible. There's some clear writing flaws, especially in the first two trials, but beyond that it was a joy to play.

Still, my god is that ending done poorly. The final trial starts off so damn well, but it just slowly loses everything it had going for it. It went from a really cool pseudo-locked room mystery to just...nothing, really. The whole "mystery" behind the Storyteller's death is just forgotten in order to start dropping the classic Layton bombs. Phoenix and Maya don't even really do anything at the end, since the cross examinations are pretty pointless. It's just the Storyteller and Darklaw talking about Labyrinthia and their motives, with Layton clearing everything up when needed and almost acting kinda douchey. I don't even hate the twist that much, but from a gameplay perspective it just goes full-Layton with cross-examinations shoehorned in.

Page 6 of 6 [ 215 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)