Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 8 of 9[ 324 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Re: (Development jobs open!) Athena Cykes: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

Poop joke

GyakutenFanatic wrote:
Actually, I've attempted spriting myself. Here was the final result:

Way better than my first attempt when I was your age. And I agree with Ropfa here, you just started out rather large; something simple like a frankensprite or recolor is much easier than a full out scratch sprite.

Scratch spriter

GyakutenFanatic wrote:
Actually, I've attempted spriting myself. Here was the final result:
Also, I can't pay people to make sprites. I'm only 14.

Give me five, I'm 14 too

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

After an entire year of development, and not a single release yet, I'm still thinking about whether I should continue this path or abandon the project altogether. :sadshoe: Abandoning it might disappoint the fans, but hey, it's possible. For example, take Star Fox 2. The game was a finished product, yet it was never released to the public. Let me know which path I should take.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Dracarys!

Nobody can tell you what to do with your own game. A year is pretty average time to release a large case. I've taken about that long on several of my cases and I know other casewriters who have as well. I won't tell you whether to quit or to keep going, because ultimately it's going to come down to what YOU want to do.

And Star Fox 2 was cancelled because the N64 was going to be released soon, so I don't know if I'd use that as an example.

Rookie Lawyer

Hey if you are gonna keep this project going, I was wondering if that space for...uh...assistant coder (Was it that? It was something like that...) is still open. Im a beginner myself but I really like the sound of this project and would like to help out with it! :maya:

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

Ropfa wrote:
Nobody can tell you what to do with your own game. A year is pretty average time to release a large case. I've taken about that long on several of my cases and I know other casewriters who have as well. I won't tell you whether to quit or to keep going, because ultimately it's going to come down to what YOU want to do.

And Star Fox 2 was cancelled because the N64 was going to be released soon, so I don't know if I'd use that as an example.

Basically this. What you have to decide is how much you want to do this, and if you're willing to do what it takes to get it out. If it's not worth it, then put your energy into something else. Don't worry about fans. Contemplate whether or not you think the project is A) worth the time and effort you're putting in, B) is something you enjoy doing enough to continue, C) if you think you can realistically do it in however long you want to spend on it.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

For post before this one:^
You mean Additional Script Writer? By all means, welcome! :athena:
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Rookie Lawyer

GyakutenFanatic wrote:

Cool! How should I get started? Im super excited bout this :will:

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

TriMaplenut wrote:
GyakutenFanatic wrote:

Cool! How should I get started? Im super excited bout this :will:

Maybe you can give me some ideas for the way the crimes are carried out, you know, murder method, witness accounts, and the investigations. I'll send you the scripts for reference. Do you have a Skype? PM it to me.

Also, welcome to Court Records!

Poop joke

GyakutenFanatic wrote:
After an entire year of development, and not a single release yet, I'm still thinking about whether I should continue this path or abandon the project altogether. :sadshoe: Abandoning it might disappoint the fans, but hey, it's possible. For example, take Star Fox 2. The game was a finished product, yet it was never released to the public. Let me know which path I should take.

I'm not going to say drop the project, but maybe put it off for something smaller; like a stand-alone case that doesn't need many resources. Something that you yourself could write without needing too much help from others. I say this because most of your lack of publishing a part seems to be from the fact that you need lots of things from lots of other people.

Learn how to manage it all before trying to take on a game length project. It'll be a skill that you can carry into this series, and use what you learned to make this game better.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

New info for the victim in Case 2: The Birthday Turnabout!

Name: Dev Sarkar

Also, I believe that the fangame should deserve a "rating", in ESRB format. Just like Dual Destinies, after reading through the scripts, I've decided that Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney will receive an "M" rating. It contains a lot of blood during Case 3, moderate romantic themes, strong language (Apollo says "shit" twice in the game, Athena calls Gaspen a "Payne in the ass", and then she accidentally drops an F-bomb in Case 5.), and of course, violence.

Mia Payne

When will Case 1 be released?

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I haven't been updating recently, I've been more focused on Smash, and I recently got an Instagram account. But now that I've finished the Day 1 script of the first trial, I've decided to do an overhaul:

-Franziska von Karma's appearance will be deconfirmed, and she will be replaced by Blackquill.

-Despite making an appearance in Case 1, Ema Skye will not be the detective in charge of the cases: A new character will be playing the role of the homicide detective.

-The Ace Attorney characters will actually have birthdays.

As for the new detective, here is the info:

Name: Jai Dixit

A no-nonsense detective from Mumbai, India, Jai Dixit is the lead detective for cases 2, 3, and 4. He is based off of the actual character Jai Dixit from the Hindi film series Dhoom. Note: If you're not Indian, you wouldn't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Last edited by Yash K. Productions on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Since I've been slacking off on my "spirit medium training" :maya: (And by that, I mean time to make this stuff), I thought I'd create a little demonstration case in AAO. This demo is similar to how Dual Destinies was released: The demo case is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the actual Case 1. It will probably be done in about half or one month: Getting the sound effects is a :payne: in the ass, but the graphics won't be a problem. The music will be from T&T, and Athena will use Nick's Objection theme.

May I ask what the point is of doing a demo that is completely different from the actual case? DD did it to remain spoiler free, so I'm not sure what you're accomplishing by doing it, since I doubt spoilers are that big of a deal here. To each his own though, I guess.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

drvonkitty wrote:
May I ask what the point is of doing a demo that is completely different from the actual case? DD did it to remain spoiler free, so I'm not sure what you're accomplishing by doing it, since I doubt spoilers are that big of a deal here. To each his own though, I guess.

The purpose is to hide the plot twist at the end of Part 1. It involves
Spoiler:
a recurring character
. Also, one character will be missing from the demo that's in the full game.

drvonkitty wrote:

Also,it could be good to show his writing style and whether or not you can get the canon character's personality right,before releasing the real case.
Signature loading, please wait...

"Justice!"

I'll be willing to play-test Case 3, if possible.

Winter Flag Trademark

I'm very sorry for bumping the thread or necroing it. However ...

I think Rayquaza has stopped/abandoned the case development due to IPL or something; and he's from India. In case you want to know how did I know you're an Indian, you pronounced the word (ACP; It means Assistant Commissioner of Police.) that only Indians or a few Bengalee's know. You have also put one of Amir Khan's dialogues on your signature some months ago. Not to mention, You also pronounced a word (Mumbai) that apparently is a district on India. In case you also want to know how I knew about IPL, then it's obvious. :simon:
Also, I meant no offense on my statement above.

By the way, are you using PyWright or Ace Attorney Online? Also, what have you put in the game so that you have rated your own game M For Mature 17+ ? I honestly can't understand what you mean there. :ron:

No. Rude. Replies. Please. :dahlia:

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Ace Pointer wrote:
I'm very sorry for bumping the thread or necroing it. However ...

I think Rayquaza has stopped/abandoned the case development due to IPL or something; and he's from India. In case you want to know how did I know you're an Indian, you pronounced the word (ACP; It means Assistant Commissioner of Police.) that only Indians or a few Bengalee's know. You have also put one of Amir Khan's dialogues on your signature some months ago. Not to mention, You also pronounced a word (Mumbai) that apparently is a district on India. In case you also want to know how I knew about IPL, then it's obvious. :simon:
Also, I meant no offense on my statement above.

By the way, are you using PyWright or Ace Attorney Online? Also, what have you put in the game so that you have rated your own game M For Mature 17+ ? I honestly can't understand what you mean there. :ron:

No. Rude. Replies. Please. :dahlia:

Actually, I was born in New Jersey, and I currently live in the Bay Area. And my family hasn't been following IPL as of recently.

But I digress. The game is still going on. However, AJ's still finishing up his sprites, and I need more developers. And about the rating, I said there would be a lot of blood (but slightly less than DD), some mild swearing (two shits and an F-bomb), and suggestive content. (Romance)

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Thanks to TriMaplenut, getting the scripts done has suddenly become much easier! Just to let you know, there are a few things that need to be wrapped up:

-Fang will get a new design, and this will be his final one.
-The new detective thing was a lie. No, really, it WAS a lie.
-I don't know whether to use Blackquill's current design, or revert his looks to his younger days. Anyone have ideas?
-I also want to add some Xenoblade references as well. Something like..
Spoiler: WARNING: EX-TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME XENOBLADE SPOILERS
"Your finger... It did not point deep enough."

-Also, I DESPERATELY need more spriters!!! AJ's almost done with Athena's court sprites, while the custom sprites still need to be done.

I'd like to apply as the Case 4 play tester if possible.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

jmkrebs30 wrote:

Sorry. Not accepting other jobs until I get someone for the spriter position. :sadshoe:

Dracarys!

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
jmkrebs30 wrote:

Sorry. Not accepting other jobs until I get someone for the spriter position. :sadshoe:

Dude, in the time you've spent waiting for somebody to show up and randomly decide to sign up for that position, you probably could've learned to sprite, practiced enough to get good at it, and then made them all by yourself. I mean, it's been what... almost two years now? I'm not trying to discourage you. Really, truly, that is not my intention. But you're never gonna get this done if you don't take a bit more initiative. If you really, truly want to make this fangame, don't use "other people won't sign up" as an excuse.

Winter Flag Trademark

Yes, you can try to stop being independent to other spriters, and start making them by yourself. Like how Ropfa made all the sprites for his fancase. :that-b-word:

There are also other alternatives. Like using placeholders or using the "random characters free for anyone to use" thread on AAO.

Not ideal, admittedly, if you really want 100% to be your own, but I'm sort of the guy that doesn't really care about that sort of stuff if the writing is good enough, but... *shrug*
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

DudeWithAMask wrote:
There are also other alternatives. Like using placeholders or using the "random characters free for anyone to use" thread on AAO.

Not ideal, admittedly, if you really want 100% to be your own, but I'm sort of the guy that doesn't really care about that sort of stuff if the writing is good enough, but... *shrug*

Oh, my Tenma Taro, why do I keep forgetting about that? I'll check it out right away!

EDIT: Checked out AAO's random character page. Not too fond of it, but it'll come in handy. Already found a suitable design for Sergei Oprovsky, Case 3's victim.

Look, honestly?

My advice at this point is to just use placeholders of SOME kind and just start putting things out. Large projects such as these (4 cases+) take a long time to make. What's more, the vast majority of them (not all!) never really even end up being made. And I would suspect that this is the reason why you're having such a hard time getting a spriter - and I'll be honest with you here: they probably don't want to invest time and effort into something they have no reason to believe will be finished. It's not your fault - it's just what past experiences have taught them. And the fact that you'd announced another fangame alongside this one just tells them (and me) that you probably aren't really aware of the time and effort that goes (or, in your case, will go) into making all of this. It isn't easy. Not by a long shot. The fact there has yet to be a full-on large project (again, 4 cases+) actually completed should tell you as much. Please don't underestimate that.

My bottom line is - show people that you're doing stuff. And I don't mean show off names or sprites or music tracks - no - show them actual, playable content. And then we'll all be on-board.

Actually, looking back on it, I still can't figure out what casemaker you'll be using for this - because that'll affect the speed of progress a lot, too.
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

^^^^^ I second everything about this post. I'm going to be honest with you - NOBODY is going to show up out of the blue and offer to do all your sprites for you. Unless you are EXTREMELY lucky, then you're on your own for now. Use placeholders for all custom sprites, use Winston instead of Gaspen, find some custom sprites that have already been made (and get permission to use them), make the case - which apparently is mostly finished in terms of script - and then release it. No "development won't continue til I get a spriter" nonsense, no demo that's entirely different from the main case, and LEARN TO AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE CRITICISM GIVEN TO YOU.

I recognize that I'm being blunt and maybe I'm being the rudest human being on the planet right now, but as someone who has actively had a fangame in development hell for 3 years now (albeit for different reasons), I speak from experience. I want to see your project successful, and you have EIGHT PAGES of people trying to help you get along. Ignoring them is going to get you nowhere, and I swear that this project will die in that case, save some miraculous artist who chooses to help you with your project.

I want to see this game released. I'm interested to see what it's like and I'm interested to see if you are able to write a strong and convincing AA mystery with good characters and an enthralling story. But if you reply to all this advice by saying something totally unrelated to the contents of these posts and continue to IGNORE ALL ADVICE GIVEN TO YOU, then frankly, I have no faith left in the future of this project.

(For the record, I say this mostly because I wish I had someone to say all of this to me when I was first starting my own way-too-ambitious fangame. I don't mean to be rude, but playing it nice clearly isn't getting the point through. I apologize if I offend you.)

Winter Flag Trademark

^ I agree his words. But you sure have exaggerated alot. Go cool yourself down now.

Mia Payne

Ace Pointer wrote:
^ I agree his words. But you sure have exaggerated alot. Go cool yourself down now.

Nah he really hasn't. Buttering up your complaints and criticism to not offend the artist is actually the WORST thing a critic can do. The point of a critic is to... CRITIQUE.

Have you read food critic articles? They are MERCILESS if the food sucks.
"You really need a person to help you cook what seems to be wasted potential"

That doesn't doesn't help the person

"The food was so awfully bland, hard and salty I felt myself actively trying to choke it down, it created cuts in my mouth which made the saltiness taste even worse"

THAT is a critique that gets it's point across clear and resolute: Flavor + Cook Longer + Less Salt

Winter Flag Trademark

Dudes, chill... Take a valium. Rayquaza will not be pleased if he sees that. And I'm afraid I'm not going to take anyone's sides now.

Just hope this thread don't get locked because of debate-flames soon, like how happened to Papasbuddy's threads. :scientific:

But this isn't really a flame,war,Blizdi has a point.We're not supposed to please the author (or insult him for that matter) drvonkitty was just giving him honest advice without insulting him at all.
Signature loading, please wait...
Re: (It's over) Athena Cykes: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Blizdi wrote:
Ace Pointer wrote:

Nah he really hasn't. Buttering up your complaints and criticism to not offend the artist is actually the WORST thing a critic can do. The point of a critic is to... CRITIQUE.

Have you read food critic articles? They are MERCILESS if the food sucks.
"You really need a person to help you cook what seems to be wasted potential"

That doesn't doesn't help the person

"The food was so awfully bland, hard and salty I felt myself actively trying to choke it down, it created cuts in my mouth which made the saltiness taste even worse"

THAT is a critique that gets it's point across clear and resolute: Flavor + Cook Longer + Less Salt

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly. What Blizdi said, guys: Instead of telling me I need help, just tell me what's wrong with some of the details, and I can fix them if I can. Don't try to discredit everything I've worked so hard to create. You're not prosecutors. Or judges. Or even ficken Agent Lang. I'm still in high school, and that means, I still need experience!

Also, do you know why I'm using Gaspen? It's because of what this fangame is: A fangame tied into the main series! For the love of Zanza, this isn't a spinoff, it's a fan-sequel to--
:holdit:
drvonkitty wrote:
I swear that this project will die

After all these years of development, I'm starting to realize: This project... It isn't worth it. I don't have the time to continuously come up with more ideas, let alone even try to create a full-scale fangame involving a LOT of canon characters. As a result, I'm closing the project. Sorry to destroy all of your hopes. And not because of "debate-flames", but because I'm still a beginner. I've realized that this is too big of a project for me to handle. No need to fear, those fan-characters will be used in some other fangames.

...............Court is adjourned.

Well, I suppose that's your choice. I feel like you've missed the point of my post - I wasn't saying your project is going to die no matter what (which is the impression your quote gives), I was saying that I think that the project will die IF you continue to largely ignore people's criticisms. I firmly believe that this project CAN and very well might be very successful if you take the advice that people like dwam and others are giving you. Regardless, if you think that you're too inexperienced to continue, then there's no fault in that. There's nothing wrong with moving on to other things and starting a smaller project to put yourself out there and show what you can do.

Good luck to you in all future endeavors. :phoenix:

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

I am curious: what engine were you working in for this project? AAO, PyWright?

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Shadowsleuth wrote:
I am curious: what engine were you working in for this project? AAO, PyWright?

I do apologize for not specifying in the first post, but it was PyWright.

Dracarys!

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly. What Blizdi said, guys: Instead of telling me I need help, just tell me what's wrong with some of the details, and I can fix them if I can. Don't try to discredit everything I've worked so hard to create. You're not prosecutors. Or judges. Or even ficken Agent Lang. I'm still in high school, and that means, I still need experience!

I feel like you really missed the point that Blizdi was trying to get across.

I'm sorry you've decided to end, but it's your case and your decision. That wasn't the result that I, drvonkitty, or anybody else here was trying to inspire.

Winter Flag Trademark

Rina-Chan's work was all for nothing then. :sad-maya:

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Ace Pointer wrote:
Rina-Chan's work was all for nothing then. :sad-maya:

:objection:
I said I would use those characters for another fangame, this time, with different roles.
Page 8 of 9 [ 324 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games