Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 22 posts ]

Reference List of Unresolved Plots in DGS1 [SPOILERS]Topic%20Title

There is only one truth!

This topic is open spoilers about everything. Turn back now if you do not wish to see them. (Sorry, but I could not fit that in the title)

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 left many unresolved plot points and asides that will (hopefully!) be addressed in future installments. For your theorizing convenience, here is a list of many of the unresolved plots and little incidents of note. If you do not see something on this list that should be there, please suggest any additions or links to threads where a plot is being discussed. I would like this list to be as complete and comprehensive as possible, so absolutely send me your feedback!

Please note that I will be editing this post frequently with corrections and new additions as I encounter them. The list will also be subject to reorganization as needed.

If anyone could post the message on the disks, that would be very helpful. I don't have the list of names right now or the message.

Use this thread to speculate about these unresolved plots!

List of unresolved plot points

Major conspiracy
• What is the "darkness" lurking in London that Sherlock Holmes mentioned? (End of case 4)
• What is the international incident involving Japan and England?
• The top-secret government information that Robert Crogley (Egg Benedict) stole was very short and said the following in Japanese Morse code: "K. Asougi, A. Sasha, T. Gregson, J. Watson. The above four people" What does this mean? How are these four people related?
• What was the rest of the Japanese Morse message? The two disks recovered only contained part of the complete message. Were additional disks made? Why was the message only partial?
• Who was the Japanese Morse message intended for?
• How did the government find out certain top-secret information had been leaked in the first place?
• Who is A. Sasha? (It has been noted the name could be a pun on "ansatsu" (暗殺) -- assassination)
• Why did Cosney Megundal want top-secret government information that Robert Crogley had access too? Did he intend to pass it along to anyone in particular or blackmail the government?
• Is Tobias Gregson more than a detective at Scotland Yard since he was asked personally to recover government secrets? Who is giving him these secret orders?

Case 1
• Why did Jezail Brett kill John H. Watson? Her motive was never established.
• Why was Japanese undercover agent Satoru Hosonaga at the restaurant with John H. Watson?
• Why was John H. Watson teaching at Teito Yūmei University for three years?
• Why did John Watson leave Iris Watson in the care of Sherlock Holmes? It was stated in case [?] that he left because of a case related to Sherlock, but what is it in particular?

Case 2
• Why was Japanese undercover agent Satoru Hosonaga sent to protect Kazuma Asougi? (Hosonaga CLAIMED he was sent to be Asougi's bodyguard because international tensions/dislike of the exchange program might lead to an assassination attempt. Is this really the truth?)
• What was Kazuma Asougi's mission? (It's the name of his OST!)
• What was Kazuma Asougi's purpose for traveling to Japan?
• Why was Sherlock Holmes in Japan and why did he return to London when he did?
• Why is there unrest in Russia?

Case 3
• Why did Chief Justice Hart Vortex assign Ryuunosuke Naruhodou to Cosney Megundal's case, even though Justice Vortex has little reason to trust his abilities?
• What happened to the luggage in the hidden compartment of the Phoenix Wright Omnibus which was removed during the evidence tampering incident?
• How did Barok van Zieks get that two stroke cross-shaped scar between his eyes? Is it a coincidence that Barok's scar is shaped like a Japanese student attorney's badge? (Scar, Student Badge)

Case 4
• Why was Chief Justice Hart Vortex one hour late for a meeting with Ryuu, despite his rigorous attention to time?
• Who were the gaudy gentleman fop and the man with the titanic chin in case 4? (Link to picture)
What is in Iris's locked chest that is being used as a tea table in 221B? (Link to translation) (Resolved according to charlesbarkley)
• Minor issues that may have answers I don't know about yet. Why were the windows of the Garrideb's bricked up? Who abused the bicycle in front of the Garrideb's and why? Why is there a smashed cart in the snowman lot background?

Case 5
• What happened to Sherlock's evidence analyzer that was pawned because Sherlock was broke? (Machine in detail, Machine removed)
• Why was the maid juror (or someone who looked like her) shown as a well-dressed lady in the stereoscope image in case 5? (Lady from stereoscope, Juror #2)
• Whose white cat is shown in the stereoscope picture with the snowman from the crime scene of case 4? Megundahl was the one who had the picture in his coat pocket, meaning that it had to be taken recently and at the case 4 crime scene with the snowman. Is that Megundahl's cat? (White cat)
• Megundahl used the pawn password "Professor" for his coat with Disk 1 in it. That obviously has some meaning to him. Was that a reference to Professor Moriarty, Watson who was a Professor at the Japanese University, or something else?
• Who is the spy infiltrating the justice system mentioned in the bottom of the newspaper clipping in case 5? (‘Spy in the Ministry of Justice? Leak of top-secret transmission possible’: A leak of transmission information between britain and an allied nation to an enemy country…?)(Image of paper)
• What happened to Susato's father and why did he fall ill suddenly (according to Justice Vortex)?
• How did Susato know about the Hound of the Baskervilles?
• What was in the unpublished Hound of the Baskervilles manuscript that Sherlock needed to keep out of the public eye?

General Issues
• Is Prosecutor Barok's curse simply a streak of unluckiness, or have there been incidents where defendants he tried to prosecute were actually murdered specifically to fulfill the curse?
• Why did Prosecutor Barok take a break from prosecuting for five years. What did he do in the interim?
• Why did Prosecutor Barok return to prosecuting after his five year leave?
• What is Barok's past with an unknown Japanese friend that later betrayed his trust and turned his back on him? Who is this Japanese ex-friend? (See NinjAngel's post for clarification)
• Why is Iris so bright for her age?
• Why is the World Expo at the Crystal Palace mentioned so many times across multiple cases by various individuals? Will it be a setting for a future case? (Image of world expo flyer) Notes: The Russian Revolutionary mentioned wanting to sabotage it, Sherlock accused "Egg Benedict" of conspiring to tunnel into the bank across from Hatch's Pawn shop where money for the expo is being held.

Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:05 am, edited 32 times in total.
Re: Reference List of Unresolved Plots in Dai Gyakuten SaibaTopic%20Title

Art Person

EDIT: Ahh I saw you added a spoiler warning in the post. Whoopsies :basil:
Changing "Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1" to "DGS1" could help shorten the title?

There is only one truth!

SuperAj3 wrote:
Maybe you should add "SPOILERS" to the title, just in case this reveals any major plot points.

I tried, but I had maxed the title length already. I can't make the title any longer than it is. I put a warning in the first line and a large linebreak which should save anyone who wanders in accidentally.

Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

~*Deux Ames Un Coeur*~

I really recommend adding spoilers to the title. You can probably just shorten the title to DGS or something.

That being said, this post is a mess of spoilers so don't even think of touching it if you don't want to be spoiled.

For your question about the discs, I believe there was only ever two, with that message on it. Crogley was approached by Megundal to trade top secret government information with him (since Crogley had easy access to it in his line of work as a telegram dude) in exchange for a very generous amount of money. Crogley got his father (case 3 victim) to make the discs and the music box. Crogley did the first trade himself--the music box and the first disc. Case 3 victim requested that he do the second trade himself. Meg didn't want to pay extra money for that trade, so he stabbed him. Both discs and the music box ended up at the pawn shop, but in two bundles two days apart (music box/disc 1 on 2/13, and disc 2 [plus the jacket] on 2/15 ie the Omnibus murder date, iirc, ether way, two days apart).

Then events of the game played out in front of us, with Cogney trying to get them back and Gina trying to claim bundle #2 as her own.

As for Gregson, could you specify?? I don't know his name is on the list--I don't know why ANYONE'S name is on the list--but he was simply a Scotland Yard detective who was tasked with a very secret mission (to get back the stolen info on the discs) by the time case 5 opened.

And then Barok said that he had a Japanese friend he trusted implicitly, but then he turned his back on him. It soured him enough that he wound up using Ryuu as a kind of proxy to figure out what Japanese people in general (and probably his friend specifically) are really like.

As for the others on the list...I feel like some of the mysteries on the list are a little too small to be called mysteries, and I don't even know where to start.

In random order as I browse through the list:

The cat in the picture was probably just a cat--it and it's pair were images for a stereoscope.
    Hosonaga CLAIMED he was sent to protect Asougi because international tensions/some people probably aren't fans of the exchange program and they thought assassination might be a possilibity, so he was a body guard. He was never sent anywhere to protect Watson, though.
    I'm...not actually sure any unrest in Russia matters? It certainly didn't stick out to me.
    The evidence analyzer is probably still in the shop
    The spy turned out to be Megundal/Crogley I believe. Newspapers probably believed it was a spy because details about the incident weren't released publicly, so they just went with the most news-worthy scenario. What IS a mystery is what the hell Crogley had planned to do with that info in the first place.
    Iris is bright because this series likes prodigies
    Watson left Iris to Sherlock because he had to go 'far away' in relation to one of Sherlock's cases iirc. Tho the details of that are still unknown

Aaand that's what I got for now. Most of the rest on the list are fair mysteries, I think. Though god knows this is probably one hell of a tl;dr
Re: Reference List of Unresolved Plots DSG1 [SPOILERS]Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

Added spoiler warning to title.

• How did Susato know about the Hound of the Baskervilles?
  • What was in the Hound story that Sherlock needed to keep out of the public eye?

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

There is only one truth!

NinjAngel wrote:
I really recommend adding spoilers to the title. You can probably just shorten the title to DGS or something.
Can I change the title of a topic after it is posted?

NinjAngel wrote:
For your question about the discs, I believe there was only ever two, with that message on it. Crogley was approached by Megundal to trade top secret government information with him (since Crogley had easy access to it in his line of work as a telegram dude) in exchange for a very generous amount of money. Crogley got his father (case 3 victim) to make the discs and the music box. Crogley did the first trade himself--the music box and the first disc. Case 3 victim requested that he do the second trade himself. Meg didn't want to pay extra money for that trade, so he stabbed him. Both discs and the music box ended up at the pawn shop, but in two bundles two days apart (music box/disc 1 on 2/13, and disc 2 [plus the jacket] on 2/15 ie the Omnibus murder date, iirc, ether way, two days apart).

Then events of the game played out in front of us, with Cogney trying to get them back and Gina trying to claim bundle #2 as her own.
I appreciate this clarification and will add notes as appropriate to the list.

NinjAngel wrote:
As for Gregson, could you specify?? I don't know his name is on the list--I don't know why ANYONE'S name is on the list--but he was simply a Scotland Yard detective who was tasked with a very secret mission (to get back the stolen info on the discs) by the time case 5 opened.
I was confused about who Gregson is working for and answering to and why he was working with Robert Crogley (instead of halting the trial and interrogating him).

NinjAngel wrote:
As for the others on the list...I feel like some of the mysteries on the list are a little too small to be called mysteries, and I don't even know where to start.

I'll try to sort them more intuitively later. Right now I'm more worried about being thorough.

~*Deux Ames Un Coeur*~

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
NinjAngel wrote:
Can I change the title of a topic after it is posted?

Looks like Bolt's got it covered, haha.

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
NinjAngel wrote:
I was confused about who Gregson is working for and answering to and why he was working with Robert Crogley (instead of halting the trial and interrogating him).

Gregson kept rly strictly to the idea that he had to do this mission of his as secretly as possible, so despite being VERY illegal, he decided to go through some underhanded means to get the second disc back. He was working with him in so far as it was what he felt he HAD to do to get the information back as quickly and as secretly as possible. All in all, he's still very much a proper detective...though I DO hope he got punished for pulling what he did.

Also, the message was short:
    K. Asougi
    A. Sasha
    T. Gregson
    J. Watson
    The above four people

Re: Reference List of Unresolved Plots DSG1 [SPOILERS]Topic%20Title

There is only one truth!

Bolt or anyone with mod powers, if you need to edit my post while I am not around to add points or links or whatever, feel free to do so.

Also please keep the suggestions coming, this list is really shaping up! Big, small, important, or just silly side notes, I'll accept all submissions!
Re: Reference List of Unresolved Plots in DGS1 [SPOILERS]Topic%20Title

Winter Flag Trademark

Facepalm. Wrong abbreviaton name, sorry. Look at the subject. It's "DGS1", not "DSG1". By DSG1 it would mean like "Dai Saibakuten Gaiban" or "Dai Saiban Gyakuten", which is just plain ridiculous. "Dai Syakuten di Gaiban" or "Dai Saiban di Gyakuten" would sound more interesting... Also Ridiculous.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Re: Reference List of Unresolved Plots in DSG1 [SPOILERS]Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

...That one's on me. Fixed. :oops:
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

This might be a red herring, but I'm curious as to if the Watson in case 1 is actually Iris' father. They keep asking it with no confirmation at the end

-- Edit --

Another unresolved plot point is the World Expo at the Crystal Palace. They mention it so many times -- through all of the main characters and Dimitry casually talking about destroying it -- that it's unthinkable that there won't be a case about that. Before the end of case 5 I was seriously thinking that would be case 6, but then the game ended

Also I'm convinced that the morse list is a list of people targeted for assassination by a group that includes Brett and probably has ties to the British government. That would explain why Hosonaga was sent to protect Asougi from an assassination and why Brett was extradited (in addition to the British government saving face).

There is only one truth!

doggydogworld wrote:
Another unresolved plot point is the World Expo at the Crystal Palace. They mention it so many times -- through all of the main characters and Dimitry casually talking about destroying it -- that it's unthinkable that there won't be a case about that. Before the end of case 5 I was seriously thinking that would be case 6, but then the game ended
I'd love to add this to the list, but I need more info as it was not talked about in stream that I saw. Can you give more detail/backstory to who said what about it when?

Also, I remember someone saying that one of the names on the list sounded like a dekiller-type name. Can anyone shed some light on this detail?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

doggydogworld wrote:

Dimitri never admitted to seeking to destroy it. He complained about being viewed in a bad light just because a news story mentioned him. Of course, his reason to visit London was to see the Expo; as Ryu pointed out, he's still suspicious.

It's less of an unresolved plot point as it is a setting for a potential case. It didn't happen yet, so there's nothing to "resolve".

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Also, I remember someone saying that one of the names on the list sounded like a dekiller-type name. Can anyone shed some light on this detail?

I wouldn't know who said it, but I can see where they're coming from. The name is A. Sasha. When written as A. Sa(tsu)sha, "satsu" as 殺 means "kill". "sha" is one way to pronounce 者, which indicates a "person". "ansatsu" (暗殺) is "assassination". Whether or not this person is an assassin or one to be assassinated remains to be seen.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

There is only one truth!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
doggydogworld wrote:

Dimitri never admitted to seeking to destroy it. He complained about being viewed in a bad light just because a news story mentioned him. Of course, his reason to visit London was to see the Expo; as Ryu pointed out, he's still suspicious.

It's less of an unresolved plot point as it is a setting for a potential case. It didn't happen yet, so there's nothing to "resolve".
It's definitely something I want to add to the list then. I would like more background if anyone has any.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:

I wouldn't know who said it, but I can see where they're coming from. The name is A. Sasha. When written as A. Sa(tsu)sha, "satsu" as 殺 means "kill". "sha" is one way to pronounce 者, which indicates a "person". "ansatsu" (暗殺) is "assassination". Whether or not this person is an assassin or one to be assassinated remains to be seen.
[/quote] I appreciate this. I'll link your post for reference in the main.

IIRC Holmes already showed Iris the contents of the locked chest, it contained her father's memoirs of his travels with Holmes which Iris used to write her novels.

Asougi's sword Karuma is another mystery in Case 2 - what is his connection with the Karuma/von Karma lineage?

There is only one truth!

charlesbarkley wrote:
IIRC Holmes already showed Iris the contents of the locked chest, it contained her father's memoirs of his travels with Holmes which Iris used to write her novels.

Asougi's sword Karuma is another mystery in Case 2 - what is his connection with the Karuma/von Karma lineage?
Thanks for the info on the chest, I marked that one as resolved for now and linked to your post.

I'm personally not going to assume a connection between the von Karma family and Asougi at the time because the evidence is pretty scant. If some more info comes up connecting the two, I'll reconsider.

----

On another note a couple more items (world expo, Barok's badge-shaped scar) and links to a bunch of relevant pictures have been added.

The Mysterious Detective

Quote:
• What is the "darkness" lurking in London that Sherlock Holmes mentioned? (End of case 4)

The first thing that popped into my head when this was mentioned was the infamous cases of Jack The Ripper, however working from the timeline that Case 4 occured at around Feburary 18th 1902, this couldn't be true as the murders stopped before 1900. It's likely that it was just foreshadowing for the next plot.

Quote:
What is the international incident involving Japan and England?

Depending on what time this was mentioned, this could refer to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance on the 30th Janurary 1902, although that was hardly an 'incident.'

(I just made an account on CR to add my thoughts and feelings, sorry if I've done something wrong already! :bellboy: )

There is only one truth!

MysteriousB wrote:
Quote:

The first thing that popped into my head when this was mentioned was the infamous cases of Jack The Ripper, however working from the timeline that Case 4 occured at around Feburary 18th 1902, this couldn't be true as the murders stopped before 1900. It's likely that it was just foreshadowing for the next plot.
I wonder if juror 3 from Case 3 was a Jack the Ripper cameo?
https://www.tumblr.com/video_file/124397758136/tumblr_nr9afxnbWI1uv5lmg/480 (Source)

Also I'm not sure they are sticking exactly to the dates of things. They are maybe fudging a couple years from what I have heard. Jack the ripper could still show up.

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but:

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
• Why was Japanese undercover agent Satoru Hosonaga at the restaurant with John H. Watson?

This was actually answered in the first case; Detective Hosonaga was at La Quantos to investigate the string of thefts occuring in the restaurant (the string of thefts Uzukumaru was committing) - in fact, him stating this is how we learned of the thefts occurring in the first place. Watson being there didn't have anything to do with it (as far as we know).

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
• What was Kazuma Asougi's mission? (It's the name of his OST!)
• What was Kazuma Asougi's purpose for traveling to Japan?

Travelling to Japan? Did you mean England? If so, then you could probably merge these two questions.

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
• What happened to the luggage in the hidden compartment of the Phoenix Wright Omnibus which was removed during the evidence tampering incident?

I...don't think that matters. All that luggage was were maintenance tools. I guess whoever Megundal paid to tamper with the omnibus (if he didn't do it himself) just threw it away somewhere.

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
• Why were the windows of the Garrideb's bricked up?

Actually answered by the DLC - those were the windows of Souseki's flat, and they bricked the windows because he failed to pay a 'window tax'.

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
• Why is the World Expo at the Crystal Palace mentioned so many times across multiple cases by various individuals? Will it be a setting for a future case?

This one's confirmed, and it seems it will also be central to the plot of the next game!
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Actually, his windows were bricked in because there's a tax on windows and he couldn't afford the leisure. Historical context and all.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

On that note, if you're interested in the historical context there, here's the Wikipedia page on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

Interestingly, it was repealed in 1851, which is the same year as the World Expo / Crystal Palace stuff in real life, but is specifically mentioned in-game as having been repealed "some forty years ago," which puts us in 1891. Timey-wimey ball ahoy!

True, but with Japan's then recent law about "bengoshi", I'd say the game sets the year a bit after 1893. We still don't have a confirmed year for them, but it's close.

Though it's interesting to know how the game is a general mix of events from the mid to late 19th century, with just a little hint of Holmes' later adventures.

Page 1 of 1 [ 22 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street