Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 40 of 42[ 1674 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title

So yes, quick summary. My box was seriously compromised (it was sending spam and my host was going to cancel my account) and I shot it in the head; I thought I had more backed up than I actually did. I didn't lose any of the essential pywright files themselves, but I lost all of the content from the wordpress instance, as well as a lot of the software and configuration files to make it easier to set things up again. I've got a barebones html page up now that has links to most of the files that existed, obviously the games were really outdated.

Gif2strip is missing, and it was actually quite insecure and may have been how the old box was compromised :will: I probably will not host this again. I'll definitely give you guys access to the script that did this, it might be easier to run locally anyway.

I don't really have the bandwidth to carry this forward much longer, the software is for the most part abandoned (by me) at this point. If anyone wants to take over and lead development I would support that. I know I've been too slow incorporating changes others have made in the past. There has always been a bit of friction with the enjoyment I had of creating my own engine according to what was fun for me to work on, and designing something that worked for the community and incorporating feedback. Definitely a fun challenge for a time though!

Anyway, I'm not gone gone forever yet, so don't be afraid to drop me a line if you need me. It's just pretty clear with my full time job and everything else going on in my life that I can't hope to do this project (apollo) justice any longer.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.

Dracarys!

saluk wrote:
I probably will not host this again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO--

saluk wrote:
I'll definitely give you guys access to the script that did this, it might be easier to run locally anyway.

Oh, okay. Never mind.

I can't help you with any of the website issues, but I can try to help with the Pywright program itself. I've been trying to learn Python myself and I know there are a few other coders in the AA community. Not sure if I'm the best person for the job, but I can try and fill it temporarily, at least until we can find somebody more fluent in Python. You might even consider making this a community project, where there are several people updating it and providing support.

I'm having a little trouble. I'm testing out a case I'm making, but every now and then, I receive an error message saying there's something undefined in the script I'm playing through. When I go to check where it says there's something undefined, I find nothing out of order. Has anyone had this issue before?

What fun is there in making sense?

So what's gonna happen with Gif2Strip? Its a very useful tool and i'd hate to see it go.

Just packaged up gif2strip. It is a python script you can download and run. You'll have to install python and pygame, and run it from the command line.

http://www.pywright.com/gif2strip.zip

Let me know if you have trouble, but this is actually better than the web version. You can process entire folders of gifs at once.

The one with many faces

Yay! It's back. The local gif2strip is a very welcome addition here.

I think PyWright should become a community effort. That way we can implement changes to improve upon the engine much faster. Definitely need someone else who is more fluent in Python than either Ropfa or I, and I'm barely literate in Py.

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

Does anyone know how to run a Python script online? I could remake it and put it on my GeoCities.

jmkrebs30 wrote:
I'm having a little trouble. I'm testing out a case I'm making, but every now and then, I receive an error message saying there's something undefined in the script I'm playing through. When I go to check where it says there's something undefined, I find nothing out of order. Has anyone had this issue before?

Undefined at line 0, right? This is annoying and has anyone been able to fix it?
*insert weird signature here*

Fellowzdoomer wrote:
Does anyone know how to run a Python script online? I could remake it and put it on my GeoCities.

jmkrebs30 wrote:

Undefined at line 0, right? This is annoying and has anyone been able to fix it?

It happens at random areas. It's really bothering me.

Undefined on line 0 is not talking about your script having an issue on line 0, but that pywright had trouble loading the script file itself for some reason. (Or that there is some other weird thing going on.) You could be saving your scripts in a weird format (script files should be saved as utf8 if you use unicode characters, or iso-latin otherwise. Really, just use utf8 for everything to be save)

Try removing lines in your script until it works, (i.e., delete the second half of the script and see if the first half still works, delete half again etc) to see if you can narrow down where it's having a problem. When interpreting a script file, pywright first loads and parses the entire script at once, to try and understand everything. If there is a weird character in there, it's going to crash.

Protip - never use wordpad to edit scripts, it can insert bad characters in there. Use either notepad, or a fancier programmers script editor (notepad++, scite, textmate, pick your poison). I suspect this might be the problem, just a hunch.

saluk wrote:
Undefined on line 0 is not talking about your script having an issue on line 0, but that pywright had trouble loading the script file itself for some reason. (Or that there is some other weird thing going on.) You could be saving your scripts in a weird format (script files should be saved as utf8 if you use unicode characters, or iso-latin otherwise. Really, just use utf8 for everything to be save)

Try removing lines in your script until it works, (i.e., delete the second half of the script and see if the first half still works, delete half again etc) to see if you can narrow down where it's having a problem. When interpreting a script file, pywright first loads and parses the entire script at once, to try and understand everything. If there is a weird character in there, it's going to crash.

Protip - never use wordpad to edit scripts, it can insert bad characters in there. Use either notepad, or a fancier programmers script editor (notepad++, scite, textmate, pick your poison). I suspect this might be the problem, just a hunch.

No, that's not it. The script is loading fine, but whenever I go through particular parts of the script I'm on, it gives me those undefined errors with the line number it says it's at, but when I open the script, I find nothing out of order where the error message says it's at.

The one with many faces

I wouldn't rely on the line number. I get those errors, too, but it's usually a matter of looking at the code very carefully at where exactly it gives an error. Lemme ask you: are you using macros?

Not sure what it is then. But undefined usually means it's a class of error that pywright doesn't actually know about (the error is happening in some random place in the engine).

Keep trying to narrow down where the actual code that is causing it is. Take lines away until the error stops appearing. Or, post the script and maybe I or someone else can look into it more specifically.

I have a question. In the fangame, Trials after Justice, the case selection has different backgrounds. How do you do this? The author did a great job hiding the file :-)

Dracarys!

So... Could somebody please give me a walkthrough on how to get Gif2strip to work on a Mac?

I never set it up to work on a mac. You'll have to access a linux or windows computer (or send your files to someone who can) to use it for now.

The one with many faces

Saluk, your coding for gif2strip isn't working for me, and it's probably bc I'm using py3.3. Apparently when you do
Code:
print X

X needs to be put in parentheses.

I'm getting these errors when trying to run via command prompt on windows. I have yet to see it work probably bc I need to install pygame but we'll see.

Blah!

Python 3.x is incompatible with Python 2.x. Both can be installed simultaneously, however, so I'd suggest installing the latest Python 2.x and try using that. I don't know for sure if PyWright uses Python 2.x, but that's what this looks like to me.

The one with many faces

blahmoomoo wrote:
Python 3.x is incompatible with Python 2.x. Both can be installed simultaneously, however, so I'd suggest installing the latest Python 2.x and try using that. I don't know for sure if PyWright uses Python 2.x, but that's what this looks like to me.

You might be right on that. I've been forced to install 3.4 just so I can get pip to install correctly (it comes with it out of the box so I don't have to bother with manual installation), so that I can install some stuff hopefully to make gif2strip to work.

The one with many faces

Okay, trying to get it to work. Runs on py 2.7.10. However, every time I try to convert, I keep getting IndexError list index out of range. I'm trying to figure out the source of this error, but I'm not having any luck. Like I said, I'm barely literate in Python, so anyone have an idea for what the source is? It's always happening on line 97 if anyone is asking.

Does anyone know how to work the gif2strip program? I can't do diddly with it. :larry:

Mia Payne

Just run the script from the command prompt, then paste the path of the file you want converted or the folder to convert multiple.

women are my favorite guy

I have an idea on how you can recover your webpage. There's a website called Internet Archive: The Wayback Machine that stores webpages into a sort of archive and allows you to access them. I'm not sure if you can recover files through this process, but I think it might help it restoring the website.
https://archive.org/web/

I'm following the directions, but I can't get to the point where it asks me which files I want to convert. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

DarwinThe100 wrote:
I have an idea on how you can recover your webpage. There's a website called Internet Archive: The Wayback Machine that stores webpages into a sort of archive and allows you to access them. I'm not sure if you can recover files through this process, but I think it might help it restoring the website.
https://archive.org/web/

The defense presents the program into question.

:takethat:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140225081 ... /index.cgi

Edit: it sends me back the GIF, but good to know its still up and kicking.

women are my favorite guy

Weird. When I do it, it sends me the .cgi file.

It did the same for me too.

I think gif2strip should be its own program without having to use cmd. Just a thought.

The one with many faces

Blizdi wrote:
Just run the script from the command prompt, then paste the path of the file you want converted or the folder to convert multiple.

I'm doing exactly that. cmd and through py. And it's not working correctly. See my post.

Mia Payne

E.D.Revolution wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

I'm doing exactly that. cmd and through py. And it's not working correctly. See my post.

Do you want me to do it for you? Just pm me the gifs

The one with many faces

Blizdi wrote:
E.D.Revolution wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

That won't be necessary. I can do the old school method. Or the alternate method. I just want the app to work.

Fellowzdoomer wrote:
I have a question. In the fangame, Trials after Justice, the case selection has different backgrounds. How do you do this? The author did a great job hiding the file :-)

Repeating the question just in case anybody forgot.

Fellowzdoomer wrote:
Fellowzdoomer wrote:

Repeating the question just in case anybody forgot.

By different backgrounds you mean case arts, right?
You need to place a file called "case_screen.txt" inside of each of your cases.
In this script, all you have to do is write "bg" and the name of your caseart:

Code:
bg yourcaseart

When selected on the case menu, this script will be executed, allowing you to have custom backgrounds for each case.
In theory, according to PyWright documentation, by using the exportvars/importvars, it should be possible to show a different background when the case is completed, but I didn't test it.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks very much!

The one with many faces

Darth Wiader wrote:
In theory, according to PyWright documentation, by using the exportvars/importvars, it should be possible to show a different background when the case is completed, but I didn't test it.

I've gotten this to work using those methods.

Hey, does anyone know how to change the checkmark image for just one item on a list. I need it to set up a locked topic for psyche-locks. I know how to change it, but it just changes all the checkmarks to the locked image. Any help would be appreciated.

Dracarys!

jmkrebs30 wrote:
Hey, does anyone know how to change the checkmark image for just one item on a list. I need it to set up a locked topic for psyche-locks. I know how to change it, but it just changes all the checkmarks to the locked image. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd like to know this too. I can try and dig around in the Pywright coding later when I have some free time to find out.

The one with many faces

By the looks of things, only on version 0.989. DW tested it on his but it ain't working. I've gotten it to work from an example code.

AAO Moderator, Resident Trial Reviewer

E.D.Revolution wrote:
Blizdi wrote:
E.D.Revolution wrote:

That won't be necessary. I can do the old school method. Or the alternate method. I just want the app to work.

I took a look at this issue earlier. Unfortunately, the program needs some fixing before it's usable on a Mac, and I have no clue how it fares on Linux. If you're using Windows, though, the program can be made operable. In the gif2strip folder, create the directory gifsicle_1.60_windows, create the bin directory inside that, and put gifsicle.exe inside that, and you'll have it working.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Does anyone have a mirror for the music pack? I tried to download it from the official source, but the .rar is broken.

The one with many faces

Not home to check but have you tried downloading py and then the music packs on the app? If that doesn't work, I gotta contact saluk.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

I'm assuming you go to updates, then click "update pywright?" Because it just seems to hang on fetching data from server if that's the case.

I'm on Windows if it makes a difference.
Page 40 of 42 [ 1674 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games