Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 20 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

So I FINALLY bought the iOS version of the game yesterday, and after playing the first case for a third time, I started the second case, and I'm really enjoying this one a lot more. I could've done without the opening cutscene of "HERE IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED AND WHO THE MURDERER IS", though. It spoils some of the surprise for me. Yeah, Turnabout Sisters opened like that, but that held more weight because of who the victim was. Another problem I have is Apollo's courtroom animations- they look so awful to me. I mean all the other character 'sprites' (do we still call them that if it's 3D?) look amazing, and then you have Apollo in court, derping all over the place and poking himself in the eye.

But other than those two things, this case is a whole lot better.
Spoiler: 5.2
I don't know how this series always manages to seamlessly blend Japanese mysticism and supernatural elements with an otherwise realistic setting, but they're doing it again here with this whole yokai angle. Like I said before, the animations on pretty much everyone except Apollo in court look great. There's even some animation in the background of Yokai Lane, which I love. The music is still great, of course. And Athena has really grown on me- her use of psychology adds some real interesting dynamics. Also, Blackquill. He won me over because PET HAWK. I think Taka might be my favorite new character so far, probably because I'm a huge bird nerd in real life. I lost it when he landed on the judge's head. It's so great!

Spoiler: 1.5, 3.4, 5.2
I still don't really understand why Blackquill is allowed to be a prosecutor- I mean, Lana Skye was stripped of her title as Chief Prosecutor after the events of Rise from the Ashes (...wasn't she?), so why does Blackquill get to keep his? I mean, when you think about it, I can sort of understand when Fulbright (who is very grating and probably my least favorite new character, imo) said that the Chief Prosecutor assigned Blackquill himself. I mean, I already know who the CP is (it was spoiled for me), but what prosecutors does he have other than Blackquill? Godot's in jail (and ironically, ISN'T allowed to prosecute or doesn't want to or whatever), Franziska's missing in action... so who does he have? Klavier and Payne. No wonder he needs Blackquill. But still, if Blackquill can prosecute as a convicted inmate, why can't Godot or Lana Skye?

*Edited to add spoiler tags to various sections.

Last edited by Aquabreeze on Sun May 10, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Aquabreeze wrote:
and then you have Apollo in court, derping all over the place and poking himself in the eye.

:redd:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

meowza

MBr wrote:
The game is incredibly slow paced and somewhat restrictive. Investigations take forever and you can only investigate explicit areas, which are never more than two per case. Presenting evidence outside of court has no effect unless you were prompted by the assistant.

I didn't have much of a problem with the "investigations take forever" bit but "only investigating explict areas" made the game feel less...genuine, I guess? Like you were being walked through where to go instead of thinking and exploring. And while there were some times in the original trilogy where I was downright frustrated with "why do I have to go there what the heck" situations, I'd kind of prefer that over "go where I tell you to and find the really obvious evidence without getting a chance to explore and learn more things about the environment you're in". Presenting evidence outside of court falls under that.

Thinking about it now, I think my issue is that there was less focus on building up the characters and environments and more focus on "how do we make this story as dramatic as possible, no matter how many cliches we have to invoke to do it?". Which I don't have much of a problem with, because I'm a huge sucker for even the tackiest drama, but I feel like it impacted other parts of the game in a bad way.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Aquabreeze wrote:
I still don't really understand why Blackquill is allowed to be a prosecutor- I mean, Lana Skye was stripped of her title as Chief Prosecutor after the events of Rise from the Ashes (...wasn't she?), so why does Blackquill get to keep his? I mean, when you think about it, I can sort of understand when Fulbright (who is very grating and probably my least favorite new character, imo) said that the Chief Prosecutor assigned Blackquill himself. I mean, I already know who the CP is (it was spoiled for me), but what prosecutors does he have other than Blackquill? Godot's in jail (and ironically, ISN'T allowed to prosecute or doesn't want to or whatever), Franziska's missing in action... so who does he have? Klavier and Payne. No wonder he needs Blackquill. But still, if Blackquill can prosecute as a convicted inmate, why can't Godot or Lana Skye?

I'm guessing you haven't played the entire game, because that is explained. If you did and forgot, I'll put it under a spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Edgeworth had Blackquill stand in court so he could lure the Phantom into making a move. Blackquill had in his possession the Phantom's psych profile, which could be used to identify him. It's the reason why the Phantom assumed the guise of Fulbright in order to get close to Blackquill.

Nope, haven't finished it yet, so the spoiler tag is very much appreciated. I'm glad to hear it's explained, I like when the series (or any series, really) actually ties its own loose ends.

I'm enjoying Case 3 even more.
Spoiler: 5.3
Klavier looks 10000% hotter than he did in AJ. I didn't find him attractive in AJ but I SURE AS HELL DO NOW. Come to think of it, that's what happened with Phoenix. Didn't really find him attractive and then his new suit and his DD court sprites happened. Dual Destinies more like D-DAYUM am I right?
The stakes are really high, the opening creates some nice tension but doesn't spoil the identity of the murderer, (...I'm pretty sure?) and there's an ethical battle brewing alongside it... you see, THIS is the Ace Attorney I remember from the trilogy! Well-written, suspenseful cases that have something to say.
And can we talk about the possibly trans/gender-fluid/non-binary implications of Robin Newman HOLY SHIT YES.

1000% Knight

Aquabreeze wrote:
And can we talk about the possibly trans/gender-fluid/non-binary implications of Robin Newman HOLY SHIT YES.

"HOLY SHIT YES" is, uh, not exactly how I would respond to the AA development team's handling of that issue.
Spoiler: 5-3
Athena pretty much forcibly "outs" Robin in public against her will. In the end it works out because Robin was forced to be a guy by her parents and was fine being a girl, but what if Robin was actually FTM trans? Things would've been a lot less pretty.

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Revealing the secrets of the witnesses against their will for the sake of the truth has always been a part of the games.
What really bothers me is Robin's parents. Why in the world would anyone force their daughter to pretend being a boy? Seriously. What's wrong with them?

OBJECTION!

I was wondering that myself just now actually, good point.
Is it commenting on the roles of men/women in Japanese society or TG people?
If Robin was a girl why would they force her to be a guy?

Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

1000% Knight

luck wrote:
Revealing the secrets of the witnesses against their will for the sake of the truth has always been a part of the games.

Yeah, but the person whose secrets we're revealing is almost always the killer's. And when it's not, it tends to be directly tied to the crime somehow. And it isn't something so personal.

The most analogous case I can think of is Adrian in 2-4, and even then, it's done by Edgeworth, the rival, the game portrays him as a massive jerk when he does it, and Adrian goes through some pretty rough trauma. It's really different from 5-3, where the player character just goes "Okay, I'm going to reveal your deeply personal and life-changing secret now~" and there's no issues.

(I don't think they were trying to make any deep point about it, and just made things that way so the story/mystery would work out. But even still, the handling of it is kinda... ugh.)

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler: 5-3 Discussion
Robin is cis (oh how I hate that term) because she has always identified as a girl, only masquerading as a guy because of her aforementioned ridiculous parents.
You do have a point with the 2-4 analogy, Bad Player. It was done better there. Athena regrets the choices she made near the end of the 5-3 trial (the Robin stunt included), but apparently it's alright with Hugh and Robin. The Adrian Andrews example was also a less subtle theme of the "end justifies the means." Not like Dual Destinies where you could turn it into a drinking game.

I guess they could have added some sort of morals discussion like they did in 2-4 to at least acknowledge the implications. It would have been way more meaningful than 'the end justifies the means' nonsense.

But there are more subtle examples of that than 2-4. Apollo exposed two of his clients in AJ without asking them. It's especially rude in Machi's case because he was a kid who barely speaks English and doesn't understand all that well what's going on risking the death penalty. I know he was an accomplice, but...

1000% Knight

luck wrote:
But there are more subtle examples of that than 2-4. Apollo exposed two of his clients in AJ without asking them. It's especially rude in Machi's case because he was a kid who barely speaks English and doesn't understand all that well what's going on risking the death penalty. I know he was an accomplice, but...

I know, but as I said, in those cases it's much more directly tied to the crime and not nearly as personal as in 5-3.

meowza

MBr wrote:
Robin is cis (oh how I hate that term)

"Trans" means "across from". "Cis" means "on the same side as". If the term "transgender" exists to denote that someone identifies as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth, then we need a term to talk about people who identify as the gender they were assigned at birth. That's why "cisgender" is a necessary term. We can't just say "trans" and "not trans", it's awfully messy.

As for the handling of Robin...
Spoiler:
...I was personally pretty uncomfortable with it because, well, I would be uncomfortable with it in real life. To reveal the "secrets" of someone in court is a lot different than divulging private, personal information in a way that reflects how many trans people are outed against their will in real life.

I can understand why it had to happen in the context of the game, but I simply disagree with the game being written that way. I don't fault the characters - I fault the writers.

And sure, it's not exactly the same as outing a trans person, because Robin is cis, but the situation and the "dramatic reveal" of it all is very uncomfortable to many trans people. It doesn't have to be exactly the same to hit close to home.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I don't know how many of you knew about this, but in the investigations you have a to-do list that you can access from the court record. You've probably never used it, because the game teleports you to the next location and you're told which evidence to present. Yet if you access the to-do list, it tells you all of that. My point is the characters don't need to keep spewing hints if you can go out of your way to access them on your own. Kind of like Layton vs. Wright, where you can choose to get hints if you need them.

A Kirby and AA fan

Sissel wrote:
MBr wrote:
Robin is cis (oh how I hate that term)

"Trans" means "across from". "Cis" means "on the same side as". If the term "transgender" exists to denote that someone identifies as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth, then we need a term to talk about people who identify as the gender they were assigned at birth. That's why "cisgender" is a necessary term. We can't just say "trans" and "not trans", it's awfully messy.

The word cis is almost always used in such a derogatory and offensive way that I can't fault people for not liking the term. Hearing that term also has a bit of an... averse reaction on me, and plenty of other people simply because of its use.

meowza

Nurio wrote:
The word cis is almost always used in such a derogatory and offensive way that I can't fault people for not liking the term. Hearing that term also has a bit of an... averse reaction on me, and plenty of other people simply because of its use.

The word a descriptive word. If people are being negative towards cis people, that's neither here nor there - that's their opinion, generally developed through years of being hurt by cis-centred/transphobic society, not anything to do with the absolutely necessary and completely inoffensive term itself. Those people would be saying the same things whether we called people who identify with the gender they were assigned at birth "cis", "not trans" or any other term. "Cis" itself has nothing to do with how they feel about cis people.

But that's not really on topic, so if you'd like to discuss further I'd be more than willing to talk about it in PMs. It's a topic I find important (but not the topic of this thread).

DGS fucking when..

Spoiler: Overall impression of DD
First of all I would like to say it was a good game. It was fun, characters are awesome, Athena is cute, animations are awesome (love the 3D touch), plot twists are quite shocking, and overall it wasn't a bad game. However there are still certain things I dislike about DD:

-The most prominent is of course the story. I don't know if it's because I'm used to Shu Takumi works but I have to admit that compared to the original AA trilogy DD is pretty weak. Takumi's has a certain flair in which he combines Phoenix's everyday life of goofiness and comical banter with people around him and the tragedies of what murders would look like. It balances well in gore and comedy (though Apollo Justice was kinda suck) meanwhile DD's stories lack that feeling. When I saw the murders in DD I didn't feel the sense of tragedy and despicable urge to turn my eyes away and the goosebumps in thinking "who could have done this sort of thing?" I still remember playing TaT and got nightmares from seeing Deauxnim corpse for the first time. I even stopped playing for 2 days because of it. Meanwhile in DD the corpses are just meh

-Second, it's too easy. DD gameplay mechanics simply handheld you throughout the case. You are given notes on what to do, examining stuff are made simpler with check marks and red radars on not checked parts, and the trials are not as elusive as AA where you not only need to present evidence but you also need to play with the testimony in order to go ahead (pressing in order like Atmey and Power case). Also there are no penalties for Mood Matrix.

-It retconned all Phoenix's development in AJ. He's supposed to be more mature and a bit cynical due to his badge being taken. I was practically amazed at how resourceful and clever he was when he cornered Kristoph, yet in DD he's back to his rookie persona.

-The DLC sucked balls. It's pretty tragic I give you that. I honestly felt bad for rhymes but the plot itself just sucked.

-Ending is not conclusive. Who's The Phantom?!!

-Too much jumping between characters. One case you're Athena, the next you're Apollo. I get that it's to introduce the Wright's Anything Agency inner working but it just made you not attached to the characters.

-Side characters not eccentric enough (rapper aquarium staff? sighing astronaut? tanuki thief descendant? come on!)

-anime cutscenes not that important

-need more plot twists

-no evil opponents. I mean ones that actively hurt you to prevent you from appearing in court at all (Redd White, Gant, Tigre. Seriously I was so scared when Redd threaten you like that.)

-case 4 and 5 are just 1 case divided into 2

That's all for now. Hopefully Dai Gyakuten will be better.

Call me James

BadLuckExpert wrote:
Spoiler: Overall impression of DD
First of all I would like to say it was a good game. It was fun, characters are awesome, Athena is cute, animations are awesome (love the 3D touch), plot twists are quite shocking, and overall it wasn't a bad game. However there are still certain things I dislike about DD:

-The most prominent is of course the story. I don't know if it's because I'm used to Shu Takumi works but I have to admit that compared to the original AA trilogy DD is pretty weak. Takumi's has a certain flair in which he combines Phoenix's everyday life of goofiness and comical banter with people around him and the tragedies of what murders would look like. It balances well in gore and comedy (though Apollo Justice was kinda suck) meanwhile DD's stories lack that feeling. When I saw the murders in DD I didn't feel the sense of tragedy and despicable urge to turn my eyes away and the goosebumps in thinking "who could have done this sort of thing?" I still remember playing TaT and got nightmares from seeing Deauxnim corpse for the first time. I even stopped playing for 2 days because of it. Meanwhile in DD the corpses are just meh

-Second, it's too easy. DD gameplay mechanics simply handheld you throughout the case. You are given notes on what to do, examining stuff are made simpler with check marks and red radars on not checked parts, and the trials are not as elusive as AA where you not only need to present evidence but you also need to play with the testimony in order to go ahead (pressing in order like Atmey and Power case). Also there are no penalties for Mood Matrix.

-It retconned all Phoenix's development in AJ. He's supposed to be more mature and a bit cynical due to his badge being taken. I was practically amazed at how resourceful and clever he was when he cornered Kristoph, yet in DD he's back to his rookie persona.

-The DLC sucked balls. It's pretty tragic I give you that. I honestly felt bad for rhymes but the plot itself just sucked.

-Ending is not conclusive. Who's The Phantom?!!

-Too much jumping between characters. One case you're Athena, the next you're Apollo. I get that it's to introduce the Wright's Anything Agency inner working but it just made you not attached to the characters.

-Side characters not eccentric enough (rapper aquarium staff? sighing astronaut? tanuki thief descendant? come on!)

-anime cutscenes not that important

-need more plot twists

-no evil opponents. I mean ones that actively hurt you to prevent you from appearing in court at all (Redd White, Gant, Tigre. Seriously I was so scared when Redd threaten you like that.)

-case 4 and 5 are just 1 case divided into 2

That's all for now. Hopefully Dai Gyakuten will be better.

Spoiler:
I agree about several of your points, but some don't sit with me.

- I agree the main series will never have that particular Takumi magic, but the story was still pretty solid. I never felt the tragedy of murder in the series when we saw the crime scene (Mia is an exception, because she will forever be missed :sadshoe: And we'd actually gotten to know her/she is a main character in the series. Quite a lot of the victims are either not very likable or not developed enough.). Dunno if that makes me a jerk, but, uh...yeah.

- Agree completely it was far too easy. Nothing more needs to be said, really.

- I guess they tried to explain why that was, but yeah. AJ Phoenix is different from DD Phoenix.

- I honestly liked the DLC. Felt like a better 2-3 (though that doesn't take much). All in all, I enjoyed it. It did feel awkward seeing Fulbright again after 5-5, though.

- That can always be explained in the next game. Not everything needs to be explained (since the only reason everything got resolved and left no loose ends in PW:AA was 'cause it was made to be a single game, no sequels. Gyakuten Saiben is pretty mahoosive in Japan, and they knew another game would come after this.)

- I think it's mainly because the office has three lawyers now (and a magician, but Trucy was f**king nowhere in DD, unless you count that little bit in 5-2, and being Phoenix's sort-of partner in the endgame, then getting kidnapped. I honestly think Phoenix has told her the story of 2-4 a few too many times.) So there's that I can add to one of my gripes with DD). We're on the precipice of there being too many protagonists.

- I think we were alright with the supporting characters. Girl in a box (with obvious MGS reference being obvious), and...I think this game relied a tad more on the side characters being references to stuff, really, if anything can be said).

- They were a bit unneeded, though the opening/Phoenix vs Edgeworth were pretty badass.

- I'm pretty satisfied with the plot twists, myself. Some were a bit tame compared to previous games, but they sufficed. Especially the whole Phantom thing. That was a great twist.

- Well, I think Phoenix's past that, by now. Presenting decisive evidence to murderers and getting the shit slapped out of him for it. One thing I think DD missed is having a female killer, though. All DD's murderers were men. Every game up until now has had at least one killer that was female. Dunno why DD suddenly dropped that.

- Kind of agree with this, too. T+T did this also, but better, honestly. The whole "case 4 being connected to case 5 thing".

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

DGS fucking when..

Professor Yoshi wrote:
- I guess they tried to explain why that was, but yeah. AJ Phoenix is different from DD Phoenix.

This bothers me soo much. I was re-playing AJ and the case where Nick face off against young Klavier is just so awesome. No more "wh-whaaaaaa!!!" bullshit in his expression. He not only criticize Klavier for being too green (which he is) Nick also kept his cool and tries to figure out how the case went in his own head. He's just so cool in this game, and I can never forgive capcom for making him a stupid-ass rookie again in DD.

Also why is court-record so dead? Literally the only updates in the forum are ones I replied to.

I thought Phoenix was way more out of character in the AJ flashback

DGS fucking when..

JesusMonroe wrote:
I thought Phoenix was way more out of character in the AJ flashback

It's called character progression. Given what he went through and years of experience on being a DA it's not strange to see him more confident and mature.

The video game boy; the one who wins

And rude.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Yeah but that case was very soon after 3-5

Don't get me wrong, I think his DD portrayal has problems. I don't even have much of a problem with Hobonix. OT Nick is one of my favorite characters ever and probably my favorite protagonist ever, but his portrayal in the flashback of AJ was just the worst

Like, Nick has always been a bit of a smartass but would two months after 3-5 make him a giant dick? Plus, he's always been fairly humble with a few exceptions, but he didn't even respect Klavier at all. It's like he forget that he was a rookie once too

Not to mention, all the coolness gets out of the picture the moment he presents the diary page without even questioning how could anyone had gotten it and why would they give it to him just like that.

OBJECTION!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Yeah but that case was very soon after 3-5

Don't get me wrong, I think his DD portrayal has problems. I don't even have much of a problem with Hobonix. OT Nick is one of my favorite characters ever and probably my favorite protagonist ever, but his portrayal in the flashback of AJ was just the worst

Like, Nick has always been a bit of a smartass but would two months after 3-5 make him a giant dick? Plus, he's always been fairly humble with a few exceptions, but he didn't even respect Klavier at all. It's like he forget that he was a rookie once too

I agree. I know he was more experienced and confident in the flashback but there was no need to make him such a smug, pompous asshole :< I also agree he should have respected Klavier more
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

DGS fucking when..

In defense (heh) of Phoenix it's because Klavier started it by not respecting him during the trial.

Then again the reason Klavier didn't respect Phoenix is because Kristoph told him not to because of the fake evidence so really the one at fault here is Kristoph (as usual)

The Enigma

I loved it! Beat it in three days (and nights), including the DLC. Probably the fastest I've ever completed an AA game. But my first one will always be my favorite :phoenix:
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

My only problem with DD is that there are waaaay too many characters. They tried to take AJ characters, some characters from the PW trilogy and also created totally new chars. Because of this, nobody had his opportunity to shine (except Blackquill, that is a badass prosecutor, one of the best in the entire franchise IMHO)

Overall i really like the game. Surely for me it was better than Gyakuten Kenji 1 or AJ. So i think that this is the right path that the franchise has to follow.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

Reviving thread to throw my two cents in.

BadLuckExpert wrote:
Professor Yoshi wrote:

This bothers me soo much. I was re-playing AJ and the case where Nick face off against young Klavier is just so awesome. No more "wh-whaaaaaa!!!" bullshit in his expression. He not only criticize Klavier for being too green (which he is) Nick also kept his cool and tries to figure out how the case went in his own head. He's just so cool in this game, and I can never forgive capcom for making him a stupid-ass rookie again in DD.

I'd argue calling him a "stupid ass rookie" is taking things way too far and ignoring much of his character in game, as well as simply projecting a ton of development that isn't there. When he's out of court, he very much maintains that mysterious mentor/laid back persona he had during Apollo Justice. That makes a good deal of sense; people mellow with age and Phoenix would certainly be no different, especially considering all he's gone through. This is most of the actual development from Apollo Justice, and I think DD carries it over quite well.

What DD doesn't carry over is the supremely confident "I've got it all figured out" Phoenix, which again, makes sense. Phoenix was putting on an act during Apollo Justice; a consistent charade to keep anyone from figuring out what he was thinking (mostly Kristoph). Now that he's out from underneath that burden, he can drop the act; he doesn't need to pretend like he's got everything figured out. When the pressure's on in court; he lets his more excitable self return to the surface, which I'm honestly fine with. Even with all that, I'd argue he acts far more self confident in court than he did in any of the trilogy games. He lobs plenty of jabs at Blackquill and Edgeworth, and generally has a much better grasp of what's going on.

As for the flashback case in AJ, here's the thing with that; as far as what was revealed in court goes, there weren't really any major surprises that were sprung on Phoenix (at least, in court) before Klavier's trap, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison. Even then, it still shows him sweating plenty. He figures things out on his own, yeah, but he pretty much does the same thing in DD as well. One of the biggest marks of "maturity" that I noticed in DD is that no one ever bails Phoenix out. Unlike previous games, where Larry or Mia will jump in at the last second to throw him a lifesaver, Phoenix always keeps himself afloat, and only really uses his other attorney's tools when it's convenient.

The only department that I really have a complaint in how DD handled Phoenix's persona is in his animations; I kind of wished they had taken the shocked animation out completely or replaced it with a less silly looking one. Someone who's been undefeated at poker for 7 years should probably be able to handle surprise better. Other than that, I can't really complain. DD Phoenix is the result of him maturing over the course of his disbarment while not having to pretend like he's got everything figured out, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see more of that in the future.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think the whole "Dark Age of the Law" theme was handled very poorly. It's not like the prosecutors you face do anything illegal like forge testimonies or forge evidence. Sure, Payne says in the credits that he's being investigated for forging evidence, but he didn't do any of that during the game. Most of the game you face Blackquill, whose tactics are kicking you when you're down, but not actually doing anything illegal (I suppose it's because he's supposed to turn out to be a good guy). And then there's Edgeworth, who's past that.
I remember facing off against the von Karmas. Manfred constructed Lotta's testimony to keep interesting points away from you, and he hid the enlarged photo from the court. Franziska also hid a photo of Lotta's because it damaged her case. None of the prosecutors in Dual Destinies do anything to this effect, and we're supposedly in the "Dark Age of the Law". I'm not buying it.
I'm also not convinced that the Blackquill case started it. I get that it was the result of both his and Phoenix's cases, but with Phoenix's I can understand. The public saw him as a beacon of hope. He always used fair methods to expose corruption in the legal world. Having him present forged evidence would cause an outrage, as he would have been no better than the people he faced.
Blackquill isn't even the first prosecutor to be suspected of murder. For his case to become so controversial, he must have been similar to Phoenix - having a good reputation so he could fall far from grace. But we don't get that from him. Sure, Athena describes him as nice, but that was when she knew him outside of the courtroom. Plus, he learned psychology so he could manipulate criminals.

And don't forget that we restored people's faith in the system by proving that the reason Blackquill was found guilty was because the investigation was rushed due to a government cover-up to hid the fact that a spy had sabotaged a space flight, and that an innocent man would be dead and a dangerous terrorist would be on the loose if it wasn't for the intervention of a crazy robot technician that decided to take the law into her own hands.

Yeah, sounds about right.

Great Revival

It's my favourite game other than the two GK games, that's all I can say.

I won't take it for long, 'cause I don't want to repeat what others have already said... I can only say that, although it's not at the level of the previous GS games in terms of plot and game difficulty, I really enjoyed it. I know how people who have played the original DS trilogy felt when they played DD, but, come on, it's not a complete flop!

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Great Revival

Slammer wrote:
I won't take it for long, 'cause I don't want to repeat what others have already said... I can only say that, although it's not at the level of the previous GS games in terms of plot and game difficulty, I really enjoyed it. I know how people who have played the original DS trilogy felt when they played DD, but, come on, it's not a complete flop!

Wait...people think the story was weaker? In all but one or two of the cases the plot was great!

ob9410 wrote:
Slammer wrote:

Wait...people think the story was weaker? In all but one or two of the cases the plot was great!

Yup, many people think that... personally, I liked 5-2 and the DLC case (the first and the fourth are linked with the fifth, so I think they are "neutral"). 5-3 was a huge disappointment to me.

EDIT: now that I'm replaying it, I noticed that I tend to like the two stand-alone cases more. And I changed my opinion on 5-3.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Last edited by Slammer on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Revival

Slammer wrote:
ob9410 wrote:
Slammer wrote:

Yup, many people think that... personally, I liked so much the second, the third and the final case (the first and the fourth are linked with the following cases, so I think they are "neutral"). As for me, only the DLC case was *meh*

Well I loved the DLC case partly because it didn't take itself very seriously compared to the others. It's a nice contrast to case 1, 4 and 5.

1000% Knight

ob9410 wrote:
Slammer wrote:

The main problem is that the dark age of the law just doesn't make any sense. We know of plenty of attorneys, prosecutors, and law enforcement agents before Nick and Blackquill that were corrupt--so why did they kick off the dark age of the law? Plus, when we expose the truth behind the dark age of the law, the true culprits are another attorney and a police officer--so how is that supposed to restore the public's faith? There's also a bit of a "tell but not show" problem.

Case 2 would have been okay but was ruined by the intro.

I found case 3 was the best in the game but I know plenty of people who were turned off by the gushy friendship theme.

A lot of people were turned off by the fact that the last two trials were just 1 case--that is, Capcom tried to pretend the game had 5 cases when it really had 4 (excluding the DLC case). The last case also pretty much directly stole its plot from 1-5.

And last but not least, Athena.

ob9410 wrote:
Well I loved the DLC case partly because it didn't take itself very seriously compared to the others. It's a nice contrast to case 1, 4 and 5.

I agree with you here. But I have a question...

Spoiler:
Why did they let Phoenix think Herman Crab was the culprit/Azura's boyfriend, by letting him react suspiciously at the charm, and then make a twist (with Marlon as the culprit/Azura's boyfriend), without explanation? I think they wanted to make a plot twist from the very beginning, but they did it very poorly

Last edited by Slammer on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Great Revival

Huh, good points. I would say something...but I guess I'm just biased, it was my first game in the series after like 3 years. And I guess I only liked the last case because of the twist...but if you don't mind me asking, how was it copied from 1-5
Spoiler: DD Case 5 spoiler
Other than Athena of course

EDIT

Last edited by Slammer on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Page 20 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)