Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 3 of 4[ 152 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - DGS editionTopic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I don't see it as one, honestly. The main character is quite relatable to Apollo in the way that they're both beginners who start out unsure of where they stand in the law. However, he is also more relatable to Phoenix in that a friend of his ends up being the reason he becomes a DA at all.

And while the overall tone of AJ:AA is pretty grim, given the rise of the "DAoL", the tone set throughout DGS is one more of confusion. Aside from the confusion Holmes himself brings to others in general, Ryu himself comes off as a lot more indecisive than any of the rookie attorneys up to now. Not to mention, there's a lingering "darkness" over the usually chipper London that Holmes brings up, but we don't go into it. It's probably being saved for the sequel.

In any case, AJ was planned to be the start of its own trilogy, and yet even with Takumi's help, the team (or the next, for that matter) couldn't really find a way to let it continue. In this case, he couldn't find a way to squeeze everything in one game. I'd say from a developmental standpoint, they're on opposite ends.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The Enigma

*avoids spoiler tags like landmines*

Couple questions. Is this game worth getting? I have a Japanese 3DS (or about to have one) so I don't have region locks to worry about. Second, I don't know any Japanese, so will it be hard for me to play through?
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

1000% Knight

Bramimond wrote:
Couple questions. Is this game worth getting? I have a Japanese 3DS (or about to have one) so I don't have region locks to worry about. Second, I don't know any Japanese, so will it be hard for me to play through?

There's a lot of unanswered questions left at the end, but otherwise it's a really good game. So if you really hate open endings and need closure, I'd wait until the sequel comes out, but otherwise it's definitely worth a buy.

Of course, considering it's basically entirely text-based, it'll probably be really tough if not impossible to play if you don't know Japanese.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

The Enigma

I see. I'm not that worried about unanswered questions, but the Japanese part is probably what'll get me. Guess I'll wait on this then.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

What's Baker Street?

迷探偵

The street in London where Holmes and Watson live? Or do you perhaps mean in Japanese? It's bēkāgai (ベーカー街).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Is there any point in the game with an special bad ending/game over if you make a wrong choice or fail a cross examination?

What happens in the game overs for case 2, if it's investigation-only?
Signature loading, please wait...

No bad endings in particular.

Usually, when Joint Reasoning fails, it's a standard game over, where you're immediately shut out from the case and given the option to "start the reasoning over" or "start from the very beginning". With Holmes' last Joint Reasoning segment, however, should you reach zero at a particular statement, he gets mad at you and demands that you return to that statement and present the right thing. (I'm not sure if your bar is reset to full or just back to one, though.) The line in question is:
Spoiler: Case 2
"The evidence that the victim's death was no mere accident is..."

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

GS1 vs GS4 vs DGS?

C'mon, ppl! You must have some opinion regarding this!
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
GS1 vs GS4 vs DGS?

C'mon, ppl! You must have some opinion regarding this!

GS1 > GS4 > DGS as standalones but DGS > GS1 > GS4 if DGS2 gets made

^ This. DGS has potential, but it hasn't awakened yet. GS1 will forever be the winner above all in my heart, though.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
^ This. DGS has potential, but it hasn't awakened yet. GS1 will forever be the winner above all in my heart, though.

Without having played DGS this I agree with too, and probably will forever even if future games are insanely good.

I like to think the "virgin effect" as George Wiedman calls it, was in effect as I played PWAA first, and everything was original, whereas to my knowledge every sequel or spinoff has to some extent reused ideas or fallen into tropes.

AAI2 is actually one of the more original games in terms of feel but it still had a lot of baggage from past games and stuff like XY-Z incidents.

Has there been news of a sequel? Or did Takumi shoot himself in the foot and we might not get one?

In an interview, Takumi said DGS was going to be a trilogy, and this seems to be the case, since DGS1 has many plot holes and unanswered questions.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

1000% Knight

Slammer wrote:
In an interview, Takumi said DGS was going to be a trilogy, and this seems to be the case, since DGS1 has many plot holes and unanswered questions.

It's obvious just from playing the game that Takumi wants and intended a sequel, but the important thing now is what Capcom and the producers will allow.

After DGS came out they let it have its time to shine, but after giving it a couple of weeks Capcom started pumping out hype and info for AA6. Even if they've already approved DGS2, I think they're going to hold off announcing it until a more "appropriate" time, as they don't want to split excitement between AA6 and DGS2.

Figures. I thought we'd at least have something vague like Takumi saying he's hard at work on his "next project" (which everyone would know what it was)

Slammer wrote:

I should know better than to discuss spoilers I know nothing about, but does DGS actually have plot holes? Too often, people confuse "plot-hole" with "open-ended".

A plot hole is continuity errors or contradicting events that breaks the narrative, not unexplained developments.

1000% Knight

There's one visual goof in case 4, but no legit plot holes.

linkenski wrote:
Slammer wrote:

I should know better than to discuss spoilers I know nothing about, but does DGS actually have plot holes? Too often, people confuse "plot-hole" with "open-ended".

A plot hole is continuity errors or contradicting events that breaks the narrative, not unexplained developments.

I haven't played the game either. But I heard many people complaining about the fact DGS had "plot holes" and an open ending. However, I think they meant "unanswered question" rather than actual "plot holes".

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Just a yes/no answer please

Spoiler: Spoiler?
1. Does the English language ever come into play to provide a clue/evidence for a mystery?

2. If yes, is this something that could be translated/localized for a Western audience in a sensical way?

1000% Knight

JesusMonroe wrote:

1. Does the English language ever come into play to provide a clue/evidence for a mystery?

2. If yes, is this something that could be translated/localized for a Western audience in a sensical way?

Spoiler:
No.

Thanks. One more thing: What are the murder methods? (Don't reveal the "true" answer if the method was fabricated)

For example, if I asked this for DD, the answer I want would be

Spoiler: DD
Case 1: Blunt trauma or explosion
Case 2: Stabbing
Case 3: Stabbing
Case 4: Stabbing
Case 5: Stabbing
DLC: Crushed or Crushed by Orca

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
1. Shot
2. [No apparent cause of death]
3. Stabbed
4. Stabbed
5. Shot

Is there any part of the game with a bad ending or game over that's different from the usual "guilty" verdict?

Didn't you ask that before, above on this page? I answered it too.

Bad Player wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

Spoiler:
No.

Spoiler:
Actually, the answers are "yes" and "sure."

1000% Knight

When?
Spoiler:
The closest I can think of is case 2... but that's still Japanese and Russian, and the clues were also simply the fact that the things were written in those languages, rather than being a clue based on the content of the words or some sort of pun/dual meaning/whatever.

Bad Player wrote:
When?
Spoiler:
The closest I can think of is case 2... but that's still Japanese and Russian, and the clues were also simply the fact that the things were written in those languages, rather than being a clue based on the content of the words or some sort of pun/dual meaning/whatever.

Spoiler:
He might be referring to the books from case 4, though they don't need to be localized. And there are the initials for Crogley and last initial for Megundal on evidence, but their names are gonna have to be localized anyway.
Not sure, so just guessing.

1000% Knight

Bad Player wrote:
When?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He might be referring to the books from case 4, though they don't need to be localized. And there are the initials for Crogley and last initial for Megundal on evidence, but their names are gonna have to be localized anyway.
Not sure, so just guessing.

Spoiler:
But the names of the books didn't matter at all (plus they were only ever given in japanese/katakana, weren't they?), and someone's initials are the same in every language, aren't they (even if the characters you use to represent them may differ depending on the alphabet you use)?

I mean, there's nothing like Kindaichi Shounen's Bizarre Circus Murder Incident or Hyouka's titular mystery, which is what I imagine JM is asking about.

Didn't you ask that before, above on this page? I answered it too.

Oh, darn, I was sure I had only asked something like that for case 2 before.

I was specifically referring to
Spoiler:
Asougi picking up on the witnesses' use of the word "lady" regarding Jezail to deduce that Jezail is a foreign woman.

"Lies, forget them." - Auron

My question isn't so much a question as it is a request but could anyone who owns the game please upload a 3D screenshot of the game to the Miiverse? So far nobody has put up any screenshots, please and thank you!
"I wish I was Stevie Wonder so I never have to see you again." - Filthy Frank

Super subjective question, but how are the breakdowns? [No spoilers]

1000% Knight

JesusMonroe wrote:
Super subjective question, but how are the breakdowns? [No spoilers]

Spoiler:
1-great
2-meh
3-meh
4-good
5-pretty good but there's kind of a urck factor

I bursted out laughing at DGS-1's breakdown. It was great. When you mention "urck" factor in one of em BP, do you mean as in one of those "Ew, what the fuck??" breakdowns where it just gets too weird and off-putting?

1000% Knight

It's, uh... not quite as 'light-hearted' as some other breakdowns.
Spoiler: case 5 breakdown spoilers
Getting strangled, and having a hard wooden cane cracked against your windpipe? urck

Considering that Capcom's marketing push is real big for AA6 right now, upon the game's launch period, I've been wondering how much they actually pushed for DGS? Did they spoil as much as they did for DD/AA6? I seem to recall DGS steathily slipping under the radar probably because it hadn't been announced for the west, but also because it was new and Capcom didn't see as big of a $$$ potential in it.

It slightly annoys me, as cool as some of the details are, to get so many things spoiled ahead of the release by the marketing for AA6, like Blackquill being a witness and then at the defense's bench etc.

迷探偵

DGS promotion was ridiculous. Details of chapter 4 were announced, and the final trailer even featured the name of the last case. Besides promotion involving revealing the contents, there were the usual promotion campaigns, and more. Exclusive promotion videos with city-specific skits written by Takumi. Lots of interviews with mystery writers and Takumi. It might not have been an entry in a main series, but they sure didn't pull any punches.

I'm not sure though how Capcom organizes its marketing (by which I mean specifically: to what extent the producers have anything to do with marketing). It might have something to with the fact AA5/6 have a different producer than DGS, it might. Same with the older games; I don't think that AA1DS or AA4's marketing under Matsukawa were noticably different than Eshiro or Kojima. Limited editions, commercials done by famous people, web content, most of the basics have always been the same.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Wow, that's pretty excessive, almost. It's a shame that they can't find interesting ways to sell the games without spoiling so much. I did like with the latest games how they often create false demo gameplay where the dialogue and scenario is just a bunch of random fluff though, because then they can showcase the game without spoiling anything except some of the cosmetic aspects.

Marketing can be ignored of course, but if you're excited for something it's really hard to do so, and in a sense I feel marketing should be part of the product, because it creates expectations and good marketing is designed to be that way. I think for this series the marketing has definitely gotten more spoilery since the 3DS era.

I do not know if I am posting correctly, but I've noticed something.
Spoiler:
In case 3, when first talking to Vortex, he mentions that it is quite difficult for the defendant to be found guilty. He says this around 12:04 in this video. The line he says is "However, in the unlikely chance should the defendant be found guilty...". In the trial, though, all the evidence points towards the defendant being guilty. The defendant is saved by the fabricated bloodstains. Did Vortex know there was going to be a fabrication mid-trial? Was he somehow part of this plot? This puts some suspicion on him. I want to know if this is explained at some other point in the game or if there is an explanation that does not make him suspicious.
Page 3 of 4 [ 152 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street