Board index » General » Court Docket

Page 1 of 1[ 20 posts ]

Re: CR Wants YOUR Opinion!Topic%20Title

May I propose a "No Chatting" rule for the Vent Thread?
It's there for venting, not to discuss what someone is venting about - if someone feels like discussing someone's vent, it would have to be done via PM.

C-A
Venting without repliesTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
It's there for venting, not to discuss what someone is venting about - if someone feels like discussing someone's vent, it would have to be done via PM.

C-A

May I propose a Diary for Cat?

If people want to put out opinions on the internet they need to be prepared to accept the consequences for those opinions, namely how other people will reflect on those opinions. A diary would suit your needs to vent without risking other people having opinions on what you think.

Additionally some people other than you might like talking about their issues. It's something that matters on a case-by-case basis. A full-blanket ban isn't a suitable solution.

Additionally (as I sorta forgot this topic existed) I'd like to ask for more use of Cytube for things, especially gaming-related events like Nintendo Directs. I was sceptical when I first heard the idea (being discussed as a way to watch films) but in practice it looks like it'd work really well for cool things like that.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

In Justice We Trust

In the Vent Station Rules, I wrote:
  • I know a lot of us mean well, but sometimes people just want a sympathetic ear, not help or advice. If someone asks you to stop responding to his/her posts in this thread, please respect his/her wishes and do not respond.
  • If a user says he/she is open to a one-on-one discussion through private messages, you are free to engage him/her in such a discussion. Please keep in mind, however, that the forum's rules also apply to PMs; users have the means to report abusive PMs, so don't think you can use them to get away with flaming.
  • When people post about their problems, they're usually not in a good mood. Don't make it worse by getting confrontational, no matter how tiresome you might find their complaining and no matter how strongly you might believe that they brought their problems upon themselves.

Cat, if you don't want other users (such as Pierre, judging by the most recent posts in that thread) to respond to your vents, please just say so when posting a vent, as the rules already allow for that.
I'll always love you, Max.

Quote:
Cat, if you don't want other users (such as Pierre, judging by the most recent posts in that thread) to respond to your vents, please just say so when posting a vent, as the rules already allow for that.

I figured it'd be quite clear when venting that I am venting and am not inviting anyone to discuss what I am venting about. I see no reason why I should have to add 'Not open for discussion' to a vent. (It's like saying my opinion about a medium involves my personal opinion when that is quite clear to begin with)

A different suggestion would be to open a "Advice" thread or similar, where discussing something is encouraged and the point, so if someone wants a symapthetic ear or advice for something they are feeling unhappy or unclear about, they have their own place for it.

C-A
Venting without repliesTopic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

The matter will be brought up in the next meeting, which is on December 12. Until then, you'll just have to make do.

The Real Human Being

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

>Joins a forum
>doesn't want anyone replying to her things

Cat, CR is a COMMUNITY, not a blog.
We had this same problem with tophat, part of being a family is having to deal with everyone.
Sure there are some abrasive people on CR, but you need to understand that you can't just present things to us without us wanting to comment.

DoMaya Blackquill wrote:
We had this same problem with tophat, part of being a family is having to deal with everyone.
Sure there are some abrasive people on CR, but you need to understand that you can't just present things to us without us wanting to comment.

Then I must have a fuck-strange family, because they understand that, sometimes, venting is just venting and doesn't need to be commented on. My mother was part of a forum that had a vent thread, which had a no-chatting rule. That worked out fine there.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
DoMaya Blackquill wrote:

Then I must have a fuck-strange family, because they understand that, sometimes, venting is just venting and doesn't need to be commented on. My mother was part of a forum that had a vent thread, which had a no-chatting rule. That worked out fine there.

C-A

Then why don't you do it there?

What works for one forum will not just work for another forum, there's so many variables involved it's not a fair comparison. Also a lot of your vents are downright offensive to people. Coming out and saying "FUCK YOU" to everyone who has a job, is actually just insulting to a lot of people who work hard here and on the forums.

You'll later admit it's not rational but you won't ever say you didn't mean it in any sense.

So if that's an insult can it count as harassment? Does it warrant reporting? There's other things you can say that are downright offensive, you slam Twilight furiously, consider someone who liked that series read you deriding them for supporting the franchise, you use very aggressive language normally, might call them idiots or they might take issue with you insulting something that they think is actually quite good. Perhaps you make a claim that Sexism is coming back because Twilight is influencing people and a reader of Twilight takes a substantial issue with that?

You're vents are bordering on aggression at times. You either need to save your worst vents for in private or be prepared to accept the consequences.

That said, you've already got that get out of jail free card...if you just do as the General says and say "No Response Necessary," you'll have tied our hands and be free to say what you want without retribution, at least unless someone breaks the rules. There's no reason to campaign for more enforcement of a rule that already exists, it's in your hands.

Like I said before, some people might want to talk about their vent, making a separate advice thread is just a needlessly bureaucratic solution. Hell I already struggle to tell the difference between the "gear grinding" and "vent" thread and I feel a few topics overlap in those already. It's easier for you to put a small disclaimer than for a whole other topic to be created.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Quote:
Then why don't you do it there?

I'm not gonna go on a forum full of ex-pats who come to Germany and are happy about 'new' holidays that give them days off, but complain that stores are closed on those holidays in the same breath.

Quote:
You'll later admit it's not rational but you won't ever say you didn't mean it in any sense.

Emotions are not rational. Venting is not rational.

Okay, I will put it here in bold and everyone please remember this: When I am venting in the Vent Thread do NOT reply to them in any form of discussing them. I am venting. This is my way of venting my frustrations, so I don't bottle them up and get sick from it, the way I did as a pre-teen. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Quote:
Hell I already struggle to tell the difference between the "gear grinding" and "vent" thread and I feel a few topics overlap in those already.

Gear Grinding is for things that bug you in general (say, a particular type of thing happening in a story), where as Vent is more for accute things. What's so struggle-worth there? :eh?:

C-A

1000% Knight

CatMuto wrote:
Okay, I will put it here in bold and everyone please remember this: When I am venting in the Vent Thread do NOT reply to them in any form of discussing them. I am venting. This is my way of venting my frustrations, so I don't bottle them up and get sick from it, the way I did as a pre-teen. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Put it in each of your posts in the thread that you don't want people replying to.

It's a lot easier to make you type an extra 3 words per post ("Please don't respond") than it is to expect every person on the forum to happen upon this specific post out of the million+ that we have :yogi:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

Quote:

Provided you put up the appropriate disclaimer, you'll have every right for people not to reply.

After all...can you guarantee EVERYONE will read your disclaimer here and know not to reply there? Just stick it at the end of your vents. You take the extra time to stick your little signature on everything why not spare a bit more for this.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The Real Human Being

Pierre wrote:
Quote:

Provided you put up the appropriate disclaimer, you'll have every right for people not to reply.

After all...can you guarantee EVERYONE will read your disclaimer here and know not to reply there? Just stick it at the end of your vents. You take the extra time to stick your little signature on everything why not spare a bit more for this.

Bull. Shit.

I'll be damned before we let CR turn into another Tumblr hug box, we are a community of ADULTS.

People keep crying more and more for admin/mod intervention like we're a bunch of eight year-olds.

I don't give a shit if someone is underage, a manchild, or is just a special little snowflake, on CR we are (mostly) mature, we are educated, and by God we need to start acting like it.

COURT RECORDS Should NOT have to change to fit YOU!
YOU should learn to leave your comfort zone, YOU should learn to man/woman the fuck up and accept that people are different.
I have lists and lists of all the stupid shit that goes on in this forum, things that I would change if I could, but I cant.
So you know what I do? I have logical discussion, I present relevant facts and give well versed rebuttals. I may be an asshole sometimes but at least I don't cry when someone says mean things about me
I just read ALL of my posting history, all the crude jokes I've made, all the mean comments I've said (which checking my messages I apologized for most of) and I KNOW I've progressed with my interactions with CR, I even left for 6 months last year because of stupid arguments between me and Luigi, and I am just so goddamn tired of thinking is CR turning into this liberal hell hole where you can't even have a sincere opinion anymore.

I have a very VERY serious question for EVERYONE who's on these forums.

Do you really think you belong here?

I'm not the judge of that, but you owe it to whatever community you join to try and make it better.

1000% Knight

DoMaya Blackquill wrote:
I'll be damned before we let CR turn into another Tumblr hug box, we are a community of ADULTS.

People keep crying more and more for admin/mod intervention like we're a bunch of eight year-olds.

I don't give a shit if someone is underage, a manchild, or is just a special little snowflake, on CR we are (mostly) mature, we are educated, and by God we need to start acting like it.

Exactly.

Which is why if somebody just wants to vent, rather than start a discussion, and in their post asks others to not respond, then the rest of the community should be mature enough to respect that.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Do you see the black one...or the white?

DoMaya. Thank you.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same
Re: Venting without repliesTopic%20Title

Zoinks

To be honest, I can kinda see where Cat's coming from.

Catharsis is a thing, and if that topic has use as a form of release, I don't see why there shouldn't be separate topics for venting with and without discussion.
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |

Gettin' Old!

Yellow Magician wrote:

Catharsis is a thing, and if that topic has use as a form of release, I don't see why there shouldn't be separate topics for venting with and without discussion.

Catharsis is a thing but it needs to be done in a healthy and productive form. Insulting whole demographics of people in a public place is not healthy outpouring of aggression. I mean to take a real life example, it's the digital equivalent of the man in the street on the soapbox preaching his hatred of muslims (or any other demographic) except he has no consequences to his actions. It's not healthy or appropriate the way Cat does it.

Additionally as the rules are...Cat already CAN get it done without discussion or consequences (at least without anyone breaking the rules, I can't speak for the impassioned responses of people she might upset with her vents). She just needs to put down a remark in accordance with the rules for that thread. It's on her, it always has been this way, she's just forgotten.

A simple measure already exists, creating a brand new thread is a super clunky solution for a non-existent problem.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The cape is self-fluttering

Yellow Magician wrote:

If you want to scream into the void, you can do that anywhere. The whole point of posting in a community is to have others see it, whether or not they're "allowed" to reply.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Can we ignore this already? The 'problem' has been solved, I have a note in my signature that I do not want anyone replying to any of my vents. If I DO want people to reply or discuss whatever I am venting about, I will mention it in my post. :ron:

C-A

The Real Human Being

What a great idea, I went ahead and put something similar into my signature.

In Justice We Trust

Just so we're clear: the forum rules as a whole still apply to the Vent Station. You are free to ask people not to respond to your vent, and if people ignore your request, the staff will intervene if they see fit to do so, but if you make a post that breaks the rules, you can still be punished over it, response or no response.
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » General » Court Docket