Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 9 posts ]

A thing.Topic%20Title

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpbi13zvl7ro1 ... .docx?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xh5ftas577bv4 ... .docx?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uozgy0c43iiul ... .docx?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p0mgpj4ta24r ... .docx?dl=0

There's none for episode 1 because I did the third round of editing after having uploaded the files to Youtube, I don't feel comfortable sharing anything that isn't that version, and I'm too lazy atm to pull it all down. Maybe later.

Note that these have not been edited, TLC'd, or proofread in any way, shape, or form. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler: General notes
--Stars mean lines that I'm not happy with for whatever reason. Common reasons are "lit," which means that the translation is deliberately not literal (not a bad thing, but something I like to take another look at during an editing pass," "too lit" (where I think I need to be more liberal), r/w (needs to be rewritten), and quote/ref(where I believe the line is a quote to something earlier in the story, or a reference to some external work, that I can't track down). If there's nothing there, it generally means I feel something is wrong but I'm not sure why. This can sometimes be because I screwed up, but at other times, it's just because it's 3 a.m. and I really should've gone to bed four hours ago and my brain's not working quite right >_> I'll also generally mark non-sequitur jokes, just because my brain doesn't like them when doing translations (for obvious reasons).

--One of the trickiest things when doing something like this is that the main cast has very distinct voices, but they'll often disappear for 30k+ words at a time. This makes remembering how to write in their voice tricky. So if someone reappears after a while and sounds a bit off for a few lines before feeling "right" again, that's why. This is one of those things that usually gets cleaned up in editing, but... Yeah.

--"first name"-san is treated pretty inconsistently. Sometimes I go with Miss (first name), sometimes with Miss (last name), sometimes with just first name. Basically a gut thing. I dunno. Just thought I'd mention it.

Spoiler: Episode 1
--Waketa is an awful surname. I like Kurido a lot, but Waketa is an obscure reference to what happens in Episode 2 that, if you're pronouncing "Waketa" correctly, you're probably going to miss. He could probably use something better, maybe something playing more into the 阿僧祇 part rather than the お葬儀 part.

--Similarly, Yanosuke has problems. My intentions with it were that it'd be a reference to Janus, since Janus fits our protagonist really well as a name and it keeps the Greco-Roman motif (e.g. Phoenix, Athena, Apollo, Miles [Latin for soldier, if you didn't know]) we see in the officially localized games. However, the fact that Janus is pronounced with a "J" sound in English (rather than the "Y" sound in most every other language) made this really obtuse. Iris using "Janus" as a nickname helps, but I fear that would come straight out of left field for a lot of people. Calling him "Janosuke" (or something like that) would be an option, but starting names with "Ja" in Japanese looks weird to me. I dunno. Food for thought.

--Shirin Adei (which might be my favorite pun in all of this btw) speaks in overly archaic Japanese in the original, even relative to the rest of the characters in the first episode (who, in general, speak much more old-fashioned-ly than people do when we get to England [though part of that is lots of lines from Iris and Holmes, who most certainly do not speak in that sort of way]). I decided not to go for an Early Modern English bent (i.e. "Thou art I"), but in hindsight, maybe I should've? I dunno.

Spoiler: Episode 2
--So Orry. There's two problems with her: first, her calling herself "Orry" was a bad idea and needs to be nixed wherever it happens. Secondly, I'm not particularly consistent with "one"--the idea was to use it as the formal equivalent for the third-person "you," but it sort of wound up being used whenever my gut said it made sense to use, so... yeah. Needs some consistency there.

--Mitrov and Yulia: It took me a while to figure out how each of them ought to sound. Much of their early dialogue needs work, mostly on Mitrov's end (he shouldn't be dropping pronouns, IIRC. I'm not looking at the text while typing these, or anything intelligent like that, and this was almost two months ago for me so >_>).

--Speaking of Yulia: yes, we lose the food pun, but we get a reference to the real-world Adventure of the Speckled Band, so I'm okay with it.

Spoiler: Episode 3
--First of all, I apologize for what I'm sure any native Brit will identify as an abysmal attempt at a Cockney accent. In my defense, it was stupidly fun. Though it's not the most consistent thing, largely due to the aforementioned long-gaps problem. The biggest thing IIRC was I kept forgetting to do "an'."

--Speaking of Britishness, I'm probably using lots of fun Americanisms that I don't even know are Americanisms. "Whoops".

--I originally had Juror #...3? Yeah, I think it's 3. Anyways, I had him having a very similar accent to Gina originally, then dropped it in favor of making that Gina's thing. YMMV.

--Fallhart does this thing where he tends to use a more complex vocabulary when he's angry. Something worth looking out for when editing.

--Speaking of Fallhart: I've heard a lot of people say they like the name Barok van Zieks because it sounds strong. To which I can only say: You know nothing, Jon Ace Attorney Fan. Barok comes from "broken" (or, alternatively, baroque, but similar thing in the end). van Zieks comes from 万事休す, a metaphor roughly equivalent to the English "The fat lady has sung." It's a melancholic name, given to a relic of a man from a bygone era whose time has passed and he knows it. Nothing more.

--(new 1/27): Mortar being a dumb name, I figured I'd make him Mort R. Milverton (side note: how has Mort not been used for any victim in the series so far?!), completely forgetting that his full name is never spoken until case 5. "whoops." That said, there's no real downside to mentioning his full name earlier.

Spoiler: Episode 4
--Natsume sounds very "literary" in Japanese; I had him speak in meter because it seemed like the funest way to emulate that. Fourteeners were used because the varied meter length makes translating easier. The four-kanji lines probably need something better than BIG WORDS IN CAPS, but I couldn't think of anything. Oh! And I originally had him call himself "we," but got rid of it. I think there's still a few remnants of that?

--The Irish guys need a huge consistency check for their accent. I knew what I was trying to do, but it took me a long time to really figure out how to do it.

--I never really knew what to do with Gregson's voice. I dunno.

--John became Nathan because we already have another John, John is too close to Joan in English, we already have another John, he's more like Nathan Garrideb anyways, and WE ALREADY HAVE ANOTHER JOHN.

Spoiler: Episode 5
--The Hoolihan's accent was based entirely on gut for where I should throw s's. It could probably use some standardization. It also just sort of happened when I realized I had made all their names end in 's' and I thought it'd be funny, so it's largely missing from early dialogue.

--Yes I know "unreclaimed" probably isn't the right word shhhhhh.

--I kept catching myself calling Sluggs "Drows." There's probably a few instances of that left in here.

edit 3/7: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5rswctwveexq ... .docx?dl=0 (what do you mean this isn't the AA6 board)

That's everything off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll toss 'em in.

Last edited by Dowolf on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Re: A thing.Topic%20Title

There is only one truth!

Thanks so much for translating this! The level of effort is completely outstanding! I'll edit with my thoughts as I read through. It might take a few days so check back for edits.

TBH I'm not really feeling your name choices.
Orato for Susato is way too masculine with double Os, so it's not cute or feminine to English ears. It's got to sound right before being punny. It's also too close to Raitou in sound.
Barold Fallhart sounds like Oldbag's dad, not someone you'd find imposing. That's why English speakers like the name Barok van Zieks: it's got strong imposing sounds. The surname Fallhart isn't bad, but doesn't have enough of the "oh-shit" element like von Karma or Blackquill. My pick was Bram Valkyr for initial matching and for how much I would not want to be up against a "Prosecutor Valkyr" as a defesne attorney.
I don't really get the reason for Asougi's name. Kurido sounds pretty cool but Waketa is meh. (I'd like to plug "Kenan Kaze" for Asougi's fanname. It's easy to speak and cool. Kaze is wind and Kenan is a triple allusion to swords (剣 ken), unresolved problems (懸案 Kenan), and autopsy (検案 Kenan) All together it becomes "Ken and Kaze": Sword and Wind).

Orato Rimia was chosen to get Oratory + Mia, essentially. I guess it does sort of sound masculine, though... I dunno.

Honestly, I didn't want something imposing for van Zieks. While he is an imposing man, the 万事休す pun is super obvious, which creates a really strong dichotomy in Japanese IMHO.

And yeah, I concede "Waketa" is meh. The idea was to go for
Spoiler:
wake, similar to the お葬儀 pun in his name,
but as I said in my notes it's always been a stretch. As for your suggestion: As I've said elsewhere on these forums, relying on Japanese knowledge to make the puns work is a bad idea IMHO. While you might come in and say "Kaze and ken are super common Japanese words everyone knows them!" you have to remember that the average Ace Attorney fan doesn't. And they certainly don't know 懸案 or 検案 >_>

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

Oooooh yes! Thank you so much for these!
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Hey, I signed up (again) on this forum because I forgot the account I used when I helped with AAI2 fan translation. I want to help with the Dai Gyakuten Saiban fan translation. I have zero knowledge of Japanese, and I'm not that tech-savvy, but I am willing to help in any way I can. I looked all over and couldn't find an appropriate topic to post in, so I'll post here I guess.

Skatfish

I can't believe I didn't notice until now, but your name for Ryunosuke rhymes perfectly with Knightley's Japanese name. (Manosuke Naitou, Yanosuke Raitou)

Is this intentional?

It's a complete coincidence. Kinda neat, though.

Thanks for doing this Dowolf. Just wanted to let you know that your hard work didn't go unappreciated. Must have taken so much out of you to make this. It was sad to see you stop making videos.

Honestly thank you very much for your hard work. I hope you will find the courage to do the same thing with DGS2
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street