Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 3[ 83 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

New 3DS adventure from former CING staff!Topic%20Title

迷探偵

Not Ace Attorney news, but still relevant, I think.

Today it was announced that Arc System Works will be releasing a hardboiled mystery adventure on the 3DS eShop this Spring titled -Chase- Mikaiketsu Jiken Sousaka ~Tooi Kioku~ (-Chase- The Unsolved Cases Section - A Faraway Memory~). Working on this title are Taisuke Kanasaki (director, character designer of Another Code/Hotel Dusk) and other former staff members of CING, together with ASW's own team. The serious-toned, dramatic game will combine good-old fashioned hardboiled adventure* goodness together with flashy visuals that invoke the atmosphere of a TV police drama.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201603110050/ (news)
http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/chase_tooikioku/ (official site)

(*My note: Arc System Works has been a co-developer/publisher for the Jinguuji Saburou/Jake Hunter series for quite some years now, which is one of the oldest adventure franchises in Japan (the oldest, perhaps). That is a hardboiled adventure game series too so it's definitely not strange ASW is working on this title, for those who only know the company for its fighters).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: New 3DS adventure from former CING staff!Topic%20Title

Awesome, I love the Hotel Dusk and Another code series. It seems to be a download only title in Japan, so I hope there is even a chance we'll get it in the West.

Gettin' Old!

Hell yeah Arc System Works! Scoooop up that talent!

Gimme the Hotel Dusk Anime Fighter I've been dreaming of!

But seriously glad to know those guys got work and I'm pretty sure I heard Jake Hunter was OK so here's to a fruitful partnership.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

迷探偵

Pierre wrote:
But seriously glad to know those guys got work and I'm pretty sure I heard Jake Hunter was OK so here's to a fruitful partnership.

(To be perfectly honest, the Jake Hunter games from ASW have been very hit-or-miss. The ones from Data East (Famicom~PS1 era) were much better, but they went bankrupt and ASW bought the whole franchise. ASW's Jake Hunters have been fairly inconsistent, though they always have fantastic music)
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

元・超会社員級の管理人

Bumping this over to front page in honor of good old WHAT A?...

I'll wait for the full staff announcement, but I kinda get the feeling Rika Suzuki (writer for AC/HD) won't be on this since last I heard she left the gaming industry to start a publishing company. It'd be nice if they got her back, but even if they didn't, hopefully the full package is strong.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Actually, Rika Suzuki started that new company of hers with former CiNG staff too, so I'm curious who they got for this game. I really doubt she's involved.

A bit sad it's just a downloadable game (but given the current market, it's no surprise), partly because that means chances of localisation are... small. To say the least. Also because it might be a bit on the short side. Oh well, glad we're getting ANYTHING at all. Not sure who convinced them to get back together, but that person deserves a medal.

Also, kinda ironic this news comes so close to the 6th "anniversary" of CiNG's bankruptcy : /
ImageImageImage

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Holy. Fucking. YES! Best news I've heard in years!

EDIT: Rika Suzuki isn't involved? Nooo... but it might still be something special. :payne:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

L~A wrote:
Actually, Rika Suzuki started that new company of hers with former CiNG staff too, so I'm curious who they got for this game. I really doubt she's involved.

A bit sad it's just a downloadable game (but given the current market, it's no surprise), partly because that means chances of localisation are... small. To say the least.

Well, we've got this download only title:

And although it's probably much shorter and less translation work than -Chase- it at least means they aren't just automatically going to ignore it, because it's a Japanese DL only title.

Ace Procrastinator

I think what matters is that there's enough buzz about it, not whether it's downloadable or not. If enough people want this game localized, there's a strong chance it will get localized.

¡Protesto!

I need this game too much, it's supposed that Kyle Hyde games were about to have a third game to end, Nintendo has the characters rights, but I think that they can "parody" all characters to bring they with other names. I only want the last game.

1000% Knight

Lusankya wrote:
L~A wrote:

A bit sad it's just a downloadable game (but given the current market, it's no surprise), partly because that means chances of localisation are... small. To say the least.

And although it's probably much shorter and less translation work than -Chase- it at least means they aren't just automatically going to ignore it, because it's a Japanese DL only title.

Whoaaa, that got localized? Honestly never expected any of the ASW/Intense games to make it to the West.

Speaking of Intense, it doesn't seem like they're involved in this game... What exactly is the relationship/difference between ASW and Intense?

Also I could just be overlooking something, but I don't see anything about the length/price of Chase. It could be a 500 yen game that's the same length as Parascientific Escape.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

A New Chapter of Trials!

Cooooooool! I'd love to play this if it got localized.
Eureka!

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

Ash wrote:
(To be perfectly honest, the Jake Hunter games from ASW have been very hit-or-miss. The ones from Data East (Famicom~PS1 era) were much better, but they went bankrupt and ASW bought the whole franchise. ASW's Jake Hunters have been fairly inconsistent, though they always have fantastic music)

Hmmm, from someone who's never heard of Jake Hunter, exactly what do you mean by inconsistent?
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Feroz El Mejor wrote:
I need this game too much, it's supposed that Kyle Hyde games were about to have a third game to end, Nintendo has the characters rights, but I think that they can "parody" all characters to bring they with other names. I only want the last game.

Now that I'm aware Rika Suzuki who basically created the whole Kyle Hyde IP isn't likely to be involved I'm excited but still curious.

That said, like you I always felt like there should've been a third and final Kyle Hyde game after how Last Window ended. I felt the involvement of Nile a second time was an interesting idea and I always pictured this third Kyle Hyde kind of game where the focus was slightly less on the mystery of some building but maybe 2-3 environments and like Last Windows compared to Hotel Dusk, the stakes would've been lifted higher once more. I liked how Last Window had some really dangerous moments of people holding you at gunpoint and stuff. Not that I preferred a new game to be all cop-action-drama but I would've liked to have seen you get in deep to the Nile syndicate and its infrastructure and have a plot heavily featuring that.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

迷探偵

Not sure where this came from, but I've seen some English sources mention Kanasaki as the director of this game. Note that the source article only mentions him as working on this title: it does not say in what function. From the art, I think we can safely guess character designer, but there is no confirmation about him directing (that I know of, at least).

Bad Player wrote:
Speaking of Intense, it doesn't seem like they're involved in this game... What exactly is the relationship/difference between ASW and Intense?

Intense is a developer, specializing in escape-the-room adventures. ASW is both a developer and publisher. For a lot of their DL only 3DS adventures, they act as publisher. With the Jake Hunter/Jinguji Saburo series, it kinda depends on the title. WorkJam has the actual rights to the series, I think, though most of the games are published by ASW, and they actually often co-develop the games together with WorkJam.

CourtroomShenanigans wrote:
Ash wrote:

Hmmm, from someone who's never heard of Jake Hunter, exactly what do you mean by inconsistent?

Some have been okay, some have been bad. The one that was released in the US was probably one of their worst efforts. There's a reason why there's not have been a new Jake Hunter/Jinguji Saburo since the 25th Anniversary game released back in 2012 (spoiler: IT WAS HORRIBLE). But there have been good ones too. The PSP one was amazing. The other DS games were also getting better and better.

Blah!

Ash wrote:
Some have been okay, some have been bad. The one that was released in the US was probably one of their worst efforts.

Hmm, so that explains why I didn't particularly care for it when I tried playing that one a while ago. I remember it being really dull. Too bad that was the game that Aksys chose to localize, though being the first DS game in the series, I guess it made sense.

AH YEAH!

Even listening to that music and looking at those characters gives me a Hotel Dusk/Last Window vibe! I can't wait for this to not be localized!

Got his Psychology degree in Borginia

I'm going to hope this game will bring closure to the whole Bradley-business, even via a facsimile.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

This is cool! I enjoyed all the CiNG games, specifically Hotel Dusk and Again (Haven't played Last Window yet).

I remember I played the expanded version of the Jake Hunter DS game (I think the Japanese release included remakes of a couple of the famicom ones and some new cases. What they did was they cut the game down to three cases for some bizarre reason and released it as Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles. Then they re-translated and released the full version of the game as Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past, which is the one I played and the one I recommend if you are going to get it). I remember it being OK and a good distraction but it wasn't AA level by a longshot. Some of the other games looked interesting but I remember the publisher of the DS game saying that the game didn't make enough money to bring over any more so that's a shame. I'll take any detective/mystery 3DS games (I don't even like Pokemon but I want that Detective Pikachu game - which by the way, is that coming to the west?).

But while this sounds good, I wonder what the chances of it being localized are.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Comeback King

That Detective on the website... is it Kyle Hyde? I hope so... if not, I will play this game anyway because I can already tell the soundtrack will be amazing and I'm sure the plot will be great just like the Hotel Dusk games. :phoenix:

迷探偵

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Then they re-translated and released the full version of the game as Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past, which is the one I played and the one I recommend if you are going to get it). I remember it being OK and a good distraction but it wasn't AA level by a longshot. Some of the other games looked interesting but I remember the publisher of the DS game saying that the game didn't make enough money to bring over any more so that's a shame.

The 'problem' of Memories of the Past is that is based on the mobile phone games: the first five episodes are just the first five mobile phone games (the first four being remakes of the first four Famicom games) and only the last episode was original (and the shortest. And most boring). The original Famicom games were classic, command-style adventures and one of the earliest console games to be focused on a hardboiled, adult story, but they streamlined the stories A LOT for the mobile phones, making it a very linear experience.

I really wish the series had more exposure in the west, because it was a fairly big adventure series back in the time and has 'connections' in surprising ways. Nojima, best known for penning Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X and Kingdom Heart and more? Started out on the Jake Hunter series. Kodaka of the Danganronpa series? Started out as a scenario-writer for the mobile phone games of Jake Hunter. He even wrote a couple of Jake Hunter novels.

Ash wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:
Then they re-translated and released the full version of the game as Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past, which is the one I played and the one I recommend if you are going to get it). I remember it being OK and a good distraction but it wasn't AA level by a longshot. Some of the other games looked interesting but I remember the publisher of the DS game saying that the game didn't make enough money to bring over any more so that's a shame.

The 'problem' of Memories of the Past is that is based on the mobile phone games: the first five episodes are just the first five mobile phone games (the first four being remakes of the first four Famicom games) and only the last episode was original (and the shortest. And most boring). The original Famicom games were classic, command-style adventures and one of the earliest console games to be focused on a hardboiled, adult story, but they streamlined the stories A LOT for the mobile phones, making it a very linear experience.

I really wish the series had more exposure in the west, because it was a fairly big adventure series back in the time and has 'connections' in surprising ways. Nojima, best known for penning Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X and Kingdom Heart and more? Started out on the Jake Hunter series. Kodaka of the Danganronpa series? Started out as a scenario-writer for the mobile phone games of Jake Hunter. He even wrote a couple of Jake Hunter novels.

Yeah I did a lot of research on the games when I was playing through Memories of the Past and I remember wishing that some of the older ones would have come out here. There was also one announced for 3DS that had looked interesting - I remember mostly being able to look around crime scenes in a more "point-and-clicky" way than DD showed off - in fact maybe DD hadn't shown the 3D investigation yet, I don't remember. Either way, it's a shame they took what sounds like one of the more mediocre games in the series and made that game the one that determined the series' future in the west.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

迷探偵

The 3DS one was, sadly enough, horrible. It was released as the 25th Anniversary game back in 2012, but it was nothing at all like the other games. It was basically an Escape-The-Room game (hence the 3D scenes), with bits of story in between. Search the room for clues/way to escape/evidence/whatever -> bits of dialogue -> new room -> etc. Not only was it radically different from previous games, (which were very human interaction-centred stories), the escape-the-room sequences were bad too (you get time penalties for /every/ action you take, so unless you know the right sequence, you will get a game over the first time in almost every room...). The series has not seen a new entry since the 3DS game, and I'm pretty sure it was because it was just that bad.

(In case you're interested, I have reviews of some of the games)

Ash wrote:
The 3DS one was, sadly enough, horrible. It was released as the 25th Anniversary game back in 2012, but it was nothing at all like the other games. It was basically an Escape-The-Room game (hence the 3D scenes), with bits of story in between. Search the room for clues/way to escape/evidence/whatever -> bits of dialogue -> new room -> etc. Not only was it radically different from previous games, (which were very human interaction-centred stories), the escape-the-room sequences were bad too (you get time penalties for /every/ action you take, so unless you know the right sequence, you will get a game over the first time in almost every room...). The series has not seen a new entry since the 3DS game, and I'm pretty sure it was because it was just that bad.

(In case you're interested, I have reviews of some of the games)

That's a shame to hear, and thanks for sharing that link! I'll check it out.

Are there any fan translations of Jake Hunter games, or is Memories of the Past pretty much going to be it for me unless I go back into trying to learn Japanese again? (took a semester in college, got a B, understood some stuff and really enjoyed it, but it was too much work to try and have a Japanese minor with my Cinema degree and so I didn't follow up. Now I get kind of depressed because I think I lost a lot of it. Maybe if I go to grad school I'll be a Japanese minor.)

迷探偵

I don't know anything about the fan translation scene, but I don't think they're out there. At least, I've never seen anyone mention them (then again, I don't see people mention Jake Hunter anyway)

Ash wrote:
I don't know anything about the fan translation scene, but I don't think they're out there. At least, I've never seen anyone mention them (then again, I don't see people mention Jake Hunter anyway)

Yeah in all honesty I kind of forgot about it after I played it until this conversation lol. Too bad.

I just hope this new CiNG game gets localized. I'm starting to run out of 3DS puzzle/adventure games to play.

Blah!

Lusankya wrote:

So hey, thanks to this post, I decided to get this game for myself. Here's a review.

First of all, it took me just over 4 hours to complete, split across four chapters and a prologue. Quite a bit longer to complete than I expected for a $5 game in this genre.

Each chapter contains an escape the room type scenario, except unlike 999 and VLR, you can travel back to previous rooms if you want (and it's also necessary, but it's usually obvious when that is needed and there's quick travel). Story sections are placed between chapters and sometimes partway through chapters, which play like a visual novel without choices.

The gameplay mainly consists of inventory puzzles, logic puzzles, and the advertised psychic puzzles. The psychic puzzles are basically block moving/rotating puzzles, but nowhere near as sinister as the ones in Layton games. Your character has the abilities of clairvoyance (see through stuff) and telekinesis. So starting out, the puzzle is obstructed from view and you need to use your limited clairvoyance power to place circles that you can see through. Then you can use your limited telekinesis power to move or rotate the items within the puzzle. I almost never had problems with these, but they made the last one a bit tricky, so I'm satisfied with the gameplay.

The story is ok. I enjoyed it overall, but there are parts where it dips in quality. Fortunately it doesn't outstay its welcome, because the story segments aren't very long.

The localization is terrible in places, but fine overall for a cheap title like this. It seems like they didn't have the time or money to do sufficient editing, but at least it works most of the time. There are a few times where it gets in the way of the gameplay though, but I managed to figure out what I was supposed to do in this cases without much trouble.

The graphics are better than I expected. It's like 999 where the backgrounds are pre-rendered 3D modeled images, but I was surprised at how often these images would change after you changed something in the room. I remember 999 putting most things back into place before zooming out of a closeup, for example. The character portraits are fine.

One interesting thing is that they set this game up for a sequel. The story is self-contained, but they leave some unanswered questions open for that. This is interesting because the developer is known for making games spread across all the genres instead of focusing on a few.

So in the end, I would recommend this to anyone who is itching for Zero Time Dilemma to come out. As long as you keep an open mind about the story and localization, it's a good four hours spent. It's well above a lot of the eShop shovelware out there.

Website updated with opening movie and short story.

> http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/chase_tooikioku/
ImageImageImage

迷探偵

Not sure if I'll do this everytime, but because it's the first chapter:

(Please do not repost elsewhere. Just link to this post).

Spoiler:
Short Story
Chapter One: The Unsolved Cases Section

Can you believe it?
Assigned to the Unsolved Cases Section.
At first, I was interested. The sound of "unsolved cases" had a nice ring to it.
But the more I heard from the people around me, the more I got the feeling my career was put on a sidetrack.

My name is Koto AMEKURA.
Looking up to my big brother, who’s an elite police detective, I too became a police detective.
And I thought of myself that I was a talented detective too.
But they assigned me to the Unsolved Cases Section.
When I told this to some veteran detectives, they gave wry smiles and tried to comfort me.
Why?

I got worried, so I tried to ask my brother, but as busy as he was as an elite detective, I couldn’t get hold of him.
I decided to ask Detective Hirokawa, who looked like he had nothing to do anyway and who’s a friend of my brother’s.
“Mr. Hirokawa, is there something wrong with the Unsolved Cases Section?”
He frowned and thought for a while.
“There’s nothing wrong with it, but… it won’t be easy for you perhaps.”
“Lots of work means nothing to me!”
But Hirokawa laughed and said: “Not sure how that’ll turn out. I don’t know exactly what they do there… But there’s only one detective assigned there at the moment, so I don’t think there's a lot of work.”
“Eh? One detective? You mean there’s only one person there besides me?”
Can you believe it?
“One detective! That’s unbelievable!”
“Anyway, the detective in charge, he’s called Nanase, there are not many who can work with him.”
“Is…is he that strict?”
“Not as much strict as that he’s weird.”
A weirdo. Alone with a weirdo.
I got worried.

“But he’s not a bad guy. He’s a really good detective. When he’s motivated.”
“So he’s unmotivated...?”
“He’s got talent. But he usually just plays with cards, or smokes.”
“How’s that talented?”
Hirokawa laughed.
I however couldn’t laugh.

“Heard something happened before. His girlfriend died or something like that. I don’t know the details though.”
“I see..”
Guess something awful happened to him.
“Anyway, good luck! Come to me if you need any help.”
“Yes! Thank you!”

Let’s stop worrying about this.
One shouldn’t look at others with preconceptions in your head.
Perhaps I’ll get along fine with this Mr. Nanase.
Okay! Gotta do my best!

The following day, I opened the door of the Unsolved Cases Section.
The person awaiting me there, was a man who had put his legs on the desk, and was smoking while playing with some cards: Detective Nanase.

As for now, the premise sounds a lot like the superpopular Japanse drama Aibou. A special, single-man section inside the police department with a weirdo in charge who doesn't get along with his partners?

Last edited by Ash on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Interesting. So based on that introduction it seems like Toko will be the player character.

Thanks for translating the short story, Ash! I'm really getting excited about the game, hopefully it lives up to the premise + reputation of the staff.

Still not sure how I feel about the game being DL-only, but we'll see how much content it has.

Please, please. Someone localise this.

Edit: watched the op again, and the music really sounds like Satoshi Okubo... but part of me is convinced I'm just trying to convince myself of that. Hope they post more details (including list of staff) soon.
ImageImageImage

Blah!

Hmm, that premise sounds like the Layton Brothers game. I suppose that was inspired by Aibou too.

earthlings on fire

Daaamn, I've sure missed CING stuff. If this is translated, I will buy it the second it hits shelves/virtual shelves.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

blahmoomoo wrote:
Hmm, that premise sounds like the Layton Brothers game. I suppose that was inspired by Aibou too.

First thing that crossed my mind when I read the chapter.

迷探偵

Information from Famitsu article:

Title: Chase - The Unsolved Cases Section ~ A Faraway Memory
Release: Spring 2016
Price: TBA
CERO: All
Development: G-Collection
Scenario: Mayu SAKURA
Game design / Character design: Taisuke KANASAKI

Catchcopy: Is it a case? Or an accident? A case from the past starts moving again because of one phone call...
A new hardboiled adventure arrives from development staff who also worked on Another Code and Hotel Dusk. Set in modern-day Tokyo, a strange detective of the Unsolved Cases Section and his assistent chase after the truth behind unsolved cases. The visuals that make it feel like you're watching a drama or film are also attractive. What is the truth behind the case that has fallen asleep once before?

Find out the truth
Five years ago, Yuta MIMURA caused a explosion accident. He's usually a calm kid, but can be childishly innocent to the people whom he trusts. Why did he cause an explosion?

The truth and human psychology portrayed dramatically
As you talk with the witnesses in the interrogation room, you'll look back at the past conversations with the people involved, and as you go over the case again, you chase after the truth.

Prologue
The Unsolved Cases Section situated within Tokyo Police Station 3. The weird detective Shonosuke NANASE and (self-proclaimed) elite detective Koto Amekura, who have too much free time, receive a phone call saying: "That wasn't an accident. It was murder." It was about an explosion accident that happened five years ago. Nanase and Amekura start their investigation because of this mysterious phone call. Was it perhaps really a criminal case?

Shonosuke NANASE
Weird police detective of the Unsolved Cases Section of Tokyo Police Station 3. Is usually not motivated, but when he gets serious, he exhibits sharp powers of observation and imagination.

Koto AMEKURA
Self-proclaimed elite police detective assigned to the Unsolved Cases Section of Tokyo Police Station 3. Is motivated and pro-active, but her ideas aren't always right.

Touch the Crime Scene Pictures!
As you go over the details of the old investigations, crime scene photographs are displayed on the lower screen. Touch the places you want to investigate and collect new information. You can zoom in on the photograph, so look in every corner.

Last edited by Ash on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

1000% Knight

Thanks for the info, Ash!

Do we know yet if it's going to be 3DSware or a full-length game, though?

迷探偵

Nothing said, but I expect something like the other digital-only adventures released by ASW. I don't even think the Japanese 3DS eShop has digital-only titles of what you call a 'full-length game'.

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
I don't even think the Japanese 3DS eShop has digital-only titles of what you call a 'full-length game'.

Hmm, fair point. I suppose after DD's English release, the idea of 'full-length' digital only games has stuck with me as a possibility... but as you point out, that's not the Japanese 3DS eShop.

Welp, I guess all we can do then is hope Chase does well, and gets some (spiritual) sequels. I definitely wouldn't mind if it became a series like 脱出アドベンチャー or something.

迷探偵

Chapter 2 of the online short story. Again, please do not repost elsewhere. Just link to this post.

Spoiler:
Chapter 2: Cloudy Air

Today I’ll start at my new position.
I hid the anxiety within me and quickly walked down the hallway.
Let’s just pretend I didn’t hear anything about the Unsolved Crimes Section and Mr. Nanase.
Only believe what you yourself see.
Arriving in front of the door of the Unsolved Crimes Section, I took a deep breath.

“Go—good morning!” I greeted as I opened the door and bowed deeply.
“….”
Eh? Nobody here?
But this smell… it’s a cigarette.
Carefully I raised my head. A man who was playing with some cards and smoking, with his legs spread over the desk, came into sight.
No mistake. This had to be Mr. Nanase.
But to think he would just ignore my energetic greeting just like that….

“I’ve been assigned to the Unsolved Crimes Section as of today. My name is Toko Amekura! Mr. Nanase, I look forward to working with you.”
I bowed again.
No answer.
This was proving more difficult than I had thought....
But these first moments are the most crucial.
I stepped forward towards Mr. Nanase’s desk.
“Mr. Nanase!”
“Not so loud, Namekura (*dull/slowwitted) .”
“It’s Amekura!”
How could he be so rude to someone he had never met before?
He was staring at his cards, not even giving me a glimpse.
Anyway, I had to show him I have the working spirit.
“I will do my upmost best to be of assistance to Mr. Nanase!”
“Don’t bother, no effort is needed.”
I might not get along with this person….

I dropped my shoulders and put my belongings on my desk.
I placed my things on the desk the same way as at my previous position and booted the computer on.
…What should I do?
I had gone through this section’s paperwork, but the description of the work details was too vague. I had no idea.
Once again, I headed for Mr. Nanase’s desk.
“Mr. Nanase, could you tell me about what I could do now?”
“There’s no work.”
“Eh?”
There was no way that…
Mr. Nanase put out his cigarette.
“Sit down.”
“But….”

Mr. Nanase looked me into the face fort he first time.
“Only stand in front of me when you need something of me.”
“But what should I do now?”
“Just keep quiet for now.
Mr. Nanase started playing with the cards again.
I kept silent and sat down in my seat.

What was going on? Was sitting here quietly my work here?
I longed to my old place.
It was busy every day, but it was rewarding work.
I had friends there.
Why was I sent to this place?
I put my elbows on the desk, and looked back at happier times.
I was sure I had not made any major mistakes.
I was sure I was pretty good at my job.
So why to this place…?
I could not help sighing.
“Don’t sigh,” said Mr. Nanase and he lit another cigarette.
Even though smoking is prohibited inside. Even though I don’t like the smell of cigarettes.
Working together with this man… No it’s just sitting here quietly….
In more ways than one, I didn’t like the air here.

I sighed once more on purpose so Mr. Nanase would hear.

迷探偵

Chapter 3 of the short story. Again, please do not repost elsewhere. Just link to this post.

Question though: Are people interested in reading this story? I don't mind translating them, as the chapters are really short, but I'm not sure whether people are actually reading this or not.

Spoiler: Chapter 3
A Transfer Request

Nothing to do.
Let’s go through some old files.
I looked for the data on my computer, but the Unsolved Cases Section had no files at all.
Had nothing been done at all until now?
I had only been a few hours here at this section, but already my motivation had been taken away.
Should I request for a transfer?
But I can’t just go crying right after I’ve been assigned here….
I need to be patient….

Ring ring….
The phone,
Mr. Nanase makes not one single move.
I reached out for the phone.
“You don’t need to answer that.”
“Eh? Why?”
“…”
Mr. Nanase didn’t answer. I couldn’t ignore phone calls made to this section.
“Yes, the Unsolved Cases Section here.”
“Oh, you finally answered. I called several times, but you didn’t answer, you see….”
“Oh, I’m terribly sorry. How can I help you?”
“So I bought a new car, you know, and can you believe it, this car….”
“Your car…?”
“It’s a brand new car…”
“Ye-yes…”
“So miss, if you’re free now, shall we go out for a drive?”
“…”
Silently, I hung up the phone.

“Told you you didn’t need to answer it.”
“But what was that?”
“We don’t get serious phone calls here.”
“But, but you can’t know that until you answer the phone. What if it’s an unsolved case….”
Mr. Nanase blew out some smoke, looking uninterested.
“The other detectives do a great job. Unsolved cases are pretty rare.”
“But…!”

Ring ring…
“Don’t answer it.”
“But I have to!”
I reached out for the phone again.
“Hello, the Unsolved Cases Section here.”
“Err… I was the one who killed my wife eight years ago….”
“Eeeeeh!?”
See, there are phone calls like this one too.
“Could you tell me more?”
“Yes… what happened was…”
“(Dear!)”
I could hear the voice of a woman on the other side of the line.
“She cheated on me, and we got in a fight…”
“(Dear, keep it together.)”
“Eh?”
What is this weird feeling?
“I saw blood, and with these two hands, I… my wife….”
“(I’m still alive! Look, I’m eating right here)”
“Excuse me…,” I started, when the woman answered.
“I’m sorry for causing you trouble. My husband has these spells occasionally…”
“A, oh…I see.”
I ended the conversation and laid down the receiver.

“Don’t take pranks calls from elderly seniles or people with too much free time seriously.”
A sigh, no, tears escaped from me.
Why was I feeling so pitiful?
I looked at Mr. Nanase, who, as always, was playing with his cards.
Did he spend every day like this?
It’s amazing he doesn’t get bored just looking at those cards.
He might as well try fortune telling.

Ring ring ring…
“The Unsolved Cases Section.”
“And miss, you know, my car is a conver…”
Silently, I put the receiver down.
Yep. Let’s make a transfer request.

Just as I had decided on that, I heard loud knocking on the door.
Bang bang bang! Bang bang bang bang!
“Ye-yes!”
I quickly got up, opened the door and saw a small girl standing there.
“Oh, welcome.”
Welcome was perhaps a bit strange to say here.
“What’s the matter? This isn’t Lost & Found….”
“Please investigate my unsolved case!!”
This was the first job Mr. Nanase and I worked on.

Last edited by Ash on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Page 1 of 3 [ 83 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes