Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 14 posts ]

Ace Attorney novel to be released: Turnabout IdolTopic%20Title

迷探偵

A novel of the Ace Attorney series will be released next month, on June 15th. The book is titled Gyakuten Saiban - Gyakuten Idol (Ace Attorney - Turnabout Idol) and the summary says: "An incident happened during a visit to the shopping mall by defense attorney Phoenix Wright! The idol Sumomo Momogaya (not sure about reading) is arrested as a murder suspect. Phoenix becomes her attorney to prove her innocence in court. Finally a novel of the popular game series!!"

The book is written by Mie Takase, a veteran writer specializing in light novels. She has also written a lot of game novelization, including for series like Kirby, Growlanser, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei III, Style Savvy and Fire Emblem. The book will also feature illustrations by Kikuyaro, who does a lot of Ace Attorney illustration work (for the Japanese AA mail magazine), though it's not clear if this means the cover, illustrations inside, or both. Cover art is unknown at the moment.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Ace Attorney novel to be released: Turnabout IdolTopic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Ash wrote:
A novel of the Ace Attorney series will be released next month, on June 15th. The book is titled Gyakuten Saiban - Gyakuten Idol (Ace Attorney - Turnabout Idol) and the summary says: "An incident happened during a visit to the shopping mall by defense attorney Phoenix Wright! The idol Sumomo Momogaya (not sure about reading) is arrested as a murder suspect. Phoenix becomes her attorney to prove her innocence in court. Finally a novel of the popular game series!!"

The book is written by Mie Takase, a veteran writer specializing in light novels. She has also written a lot of game novelization, including for series like Kirby, Growlanser, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei III, Style Savvy and Fire Emblem. The book will also feature illustrations by Kikuyaro, who does a lot of Ace Attorney illustration work (for the Japanese AA mail magazine), though it's not clear if this means the cover, illustrations inside, or both. Cover art is unknown at the moment.

While I admit the plot doesn't excite me as much as some of the game episodes (for now), it's still great to have the series branch out. Although it seems really unlikely that this will be localized if it's a full-length novel.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Programmer

I wonder how much presentation effort they will put into it. Books are quite different from the usual fare with colors, animations, music, sound effects and such from the games.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

迷探偵

Considering the book will published in a label aimed at children and the Amazon entry already mentions an illustrator, I imagine it will be like a light novel. In terms of printing, paper, setting and binding? The Japanese standard for also fairly high, so it should look good ink and paper-wise too.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

迷探偵

The label is Kadokawa Tsubasa Bunko by the way. It's mostly aimed at children/YA, but given that the author of the book is a veteran writer specializing in game novelizations and the mystery genre, I think it will turn out okay.

(Note that that while the label looks kiddy, Kadokawa is one of the biggest media companies in Japan, doing books (manga), games, films, everything).

Guessing I'm the only one considering buying this?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I really do find this fascinating, but I'm not much of a reader these days, especially that I'm still studying this language and will have a tedious time with the dictionary. I hope you'll share a review on your blog! I'll be sure to check it out.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

Well, as the label is aimed at kids, expect furigana for all the words and more words spelling in hiragana. So I think it'd actually be good for people who don't have much experience with reading large amounts of Japanese texts. But I'll probably review it eventually.

Oh, and no upgrade for this topic to Trial Minutes? (´・ω・`)

A Kirby and AA fan

Ash wrote:
She has also written a lot of game novelization, including for series like Kirby

THERE'S A KIRBY LIGHT NOVEL!?

迷探偵

Four of them, actually. They're not light novels though. Just children's fiction.

Nurio wrote:
Ash wrote:
She has also written a lot of game novelization, including for series like Kirby

THERE'S A KIRBY LIGHT NOVEL!?

I'm more surprised there's a Style Savvy LN, to be honest. Then again, with your avatar, not surprised by the reaction :redd:

Ash wrote:
The label is Kadokawa Tsubasa Bunko by the way. It's mostly aimed at children/YA, but given that the author of the book is a veteran writer specializing in game novelizations and the mystery genre, I think it will turn out okay.

(Note that that while the label looks kiddy, Kadokawa is one of the biggest media companies in Japan, doing books (manga), games, films, everything).

Guessing I'm the only one considering buying this?

I'm afraid, yes. Definitely would if my level in Japanese was sufficient. Maybe in 2-3 years? :)
ImageImageImage

迷探偵

http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/content/gy ... mpaign=sns

The cover of the book. Note that while the cover is obviously just a simple copypasta of existing artwork, the book will also feature illustrations by Kikuyaro.

The summary on this site is slightly longer than the previous one, mentioning two decisive witnesses and Yugami/Blackquill as the opposing prosecutor.

Pretty disappointing there's no original cover, since that's pretty much the only thing we'll be able to see without buying the actual thing.
ImageImageImage

Blah!

Ash wrote:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/content/gyakutensaiban/info/books/835?utm_source=TW&utm_medium=cpp&utm_campaign=sns

The cover of the book. Note that while the cover is obviously just a simple copypasta of existing artwork, the book will also feature illustrations by Kikuyaro.

The summary on this site is slightly longer than the previous one, mentioning two decisive witnesses and Yugami/Blackquill as the opposing prosecutor.

Kind of a lazy copypasta too; Trucy is way too small compared to everyone else.

Hopefully that doesn't extend to the story itself.

迷探偵

Oh, I kinda forgot to post it here, but there is a topic about this book in the Neo Olde Tokyo subforums and I have a review on my blog.
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes