Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 3[ 90 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

General impressions threadTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

A few people have asked if there's a place folks can share their thoughts in general without tying to specific cases, so, here we are! (Also y'all can always just start a thread.) Tag any spoilers!

Anyway. Two and a half cases in, here are my bullet-point thoughts:
  • The animations and graphics are a great step up from AA5. They have the same feel, but everything looks nicer and you can tell they splurged on the animation budget for this game. What's particularly nice is the increase in 3D, in-engine cutscenes - it feels more natural than the anime clips, and means breakdowns can go all out.
  • The difficulty is still pretty low thus far. There's been a couple points where I was stumped, but many more where I saw what needed to be said a good fifteen-twenty minutes ahead of the rest of the courtroom. There does seem to be less in the way of super-direct hints than AA5 though.
  • The writing is... hm. There's a lot of unnecessary dialogue in the Kurhain trials. Attorneys are hated and mistrusted! We get it. You don't need to take the time every other minute for the judge and prosecutor to rag on Phoenix.
  • Also weird: the game really seems into jacking up the stakes. Like they felt just the threat of "your client will go to jail/get the death penalty" wasn't enough. Can't go into detail without spoilers.
  • I liked the second case, but the pacing was just bizarre.
  • If I had to do an analogy for the game thus far... this feels like the AAI2 to AA5's AAI1. It's much more complex, confident, and willing to try interesting things - but also I'm kind of expecting it to trip over its own feet and burst into flames sooner or later.

I realize a lot of this is sounding negative, but bear in mind a. I'm a cynical old lawyer-game-player and b. I'm only halfway (or less, most likely) through the game. These are just my thoughts thus far! It's still an AA game, and it's still fun.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: General impressions threadTopic%20Title

Wotter boy

Having watched the second case (archived, not live, sadly), I can say, I really do appreciate what they did with it.
It does seem to have me more... I guess engrossed in it than DD did. I really didn't expect either of the two big twists.

Gardevoir lover

So overall it's not a good game like AA3/AAI2 but it's not a bad game like AA5/AA2, it just lands in the middle with AA and VS? Is that what your saying?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
So overall it's not a good game like AA3/AAI2 but it's not a bad game like AA5/AA2, it just lands in the middle with AA and VS? Is that what your saying?

Not to put words in Bolt's mouth, but I seem to recall he wasn't as hyped about AAI2 as most people are, so I think his post means it's basically like AAI2, which wasn't all that great either, before you reached the end and saw how brilliantly a lot of the story comes together.

I remember how AAI2 grew on me. I thought the pacing was asinine way into the game and it wasn't until the end of case 3 that I experienced something in it that really got under my skin. From then on the game started to grow on me, and though I thought case 5 was bad, the plot itself of the entire game was great and individual characters were great too.

I don't know any AA6 spoilers myself beyond case 1, but I played the first part myself as a sneak-peek, and I totally agree about the updated graphics and animations. On the flip-side I think 2 or 3 of the new angles they use in the courtroom are lifted from PLvPWAA, which is still good because DD didn't use those and it adds to the variety... but it really occurs to me that a lot of the time this team needs Takumi's "permission" to do new things. He pushed the boundaries with PLvPWAA and DGS by using more fluid animations and Mocap and now AA6 suddenly has a lot of mocap. I did love one pan to white they did when Phoenix is thinking of a certain someone, though. But even a lot of the premise and especially the first time Phoenix enters the Khura'in court seems too much like a retread to me.
Spoiler: rant
It seems like this team went fanboy on PLvPWAA and went "I wish I had made that" to me. You have Apollo (Phoenix) and Phoenix (Layton) battling each other in the final case and you have a new courtroom setting that is much more viscious and remorseless, and it's basically The Witch's Court 2.0 and the finale they've teased is basically Phoenix vs Layton 2.0. I'm hoping I'm incredibly wrong and it turns out to be really amazing in the end though, but so far everything just reeks of creative cop-out to me

The music so far is merely serviceable. There are standout pieces like Investigation Opening Japan, Apollo's new theme and some of the Khura'in themes... but I dare say more than half of it just sounds like whatever. A lot of it is too soft and lacks clear motifs, like the new Logic theme or even the new Tell The Truth. Core both in Khura'in and Japan sounds boring, and really, I wish it was more interesting. But, it's fine when you're playing the game, but otherwise, if you're just listening to it, it's definitely a JFA-level score overall I'd say.

As for the anime scenes of which I've only seen two. They're prettier and better directed so far.

In the end, I think AAI had a reverse like-dislike effect on me, where I really enjoyed it, then ended up hating it, and DD, while not as bad, was the same, but AAI2 was the other way around.

Seems that's the way this is going too. I hope so!
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

We should maybe wait until Bolt finishes the game and can give a complete review.
But even then it's not like his opinion will be your opinion. Some people also weren't too hot on AAI2 after its release, yet in the fandom it's among the top games in the series. While on the other hand I saw some stunningly good first reviews for Dual Destinies and in the end the fandom is quite divided on this game and puts it in the middle.

Yeah of course, and at the end of the day this will be its own game and not AAI2, obviously, but I like to compare things (as I'm sure you've noticed) :P

I might change my mind in a few days, as the person I'm following through live blogging is just slowly reaching case 5, but so far it feels more like DD than AAI2 for me.

I know one reviewer of Famitsu made a comparison with AAI2 because of how everything got solved at the end of the game but still... More like DD so far for me, probably because we have multiple protagonists that we know well and because we get to see a different setting more thoroughly than any other besides the usual Japanifornia one (in the end we never went to Zheng-Fa or Borginia).

Then again AAI2 was hands down the worst game of the series for me so maybe for anyone who liked AAI2 better than DD, SoJ is bound to feel more like AAI2 for them if they like the game.

So is 6-1 worse than 5-1?

Peace are for loosers anyways

JesusMonroe wrote:

With a witness like the one we get in 6-1, i disagree majorly.

Yabba Dabba Doo

JesusMonroe wrote:

Absolutely not. 6-1 seems to be one of the most loved first cases by most of the people watching the stream.

Most people watching the stream are very hyped and can't understand japanese. This game is the best Ace Attornet ever made in most people's minds for at least a couple of months after they've seen it. Nothing's changed there :P

Yabba Dabba Doo

linkenski wrote:
Most people watching the stream are very hyped and can't understand japanese. This game is the best Ace Attornet ever made in most people's minds for at least a couple of months after they've seen it. Nothing's changed there :P

That's...a very good point, actually. IIRC Dual Destinies got incredible reviews once it came out, and now it's one of the most divisive games in the franchise. I could see SoJ having a similar fate.

I'm fully expecting it, though to be honest, I went from being hyped at DD's debut, then skeptical upon release (because of AAI's shoddy writing) then enjoying most of it as I played it, then hating it after I beat it, but then on my second and third playthrough I saw it more for what it was and started rationalizing how I had much more to anticipate with it initially than the trilogy which I played with zero expectations to the franchsie at all. I've also gotten better at reading between the lines and realized DD, despite of it flubbing stuff, like it's supposed main theme, pretty hard and the banality of case 3's story or the final case being weak that it is actually kinda underrated because of how oversaturated the dislike for its worst aspects became.

I'm definitely not as "attached" to the series, emotionally as I was at some point because I think the canon has kind of run its course, but I have no doubt in my mind that SoJ will be enjoyable at least some of the time, and that even if it turns out to be divisive it probably did things I took for granted at first that I can look back at and appreciate more. I think it's easy to forget that everything that does work in the storytelling has equal amounts of hard work put into them as the parts that didn't quite shape out to be as good.

...And then... of course sometimes the writers are just goofing around;
Spoiler:
case 4 in particular, I hear

Wotter boy

linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Case 4 is weird and filler and not connected to the plot beyond the overall "moving on and learning how to deal with yourself" or whatever kinda theme, but I like it. I like it a lot.

Yabba Dabba Doo

[
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler: 6-4
Case 4 is just Yamazaki giving the finger to the localization team.

Huh, how so? Too japanese?

Wotter boy

linkenski wrote:
Huh, how so? Too japanese?

I mean, you got...
Spoiler:
Soba and Rakugo.. that's pretty Japanese

1000% Knight

Thunder84 wrote:
linkenski wrote:

That's...a very good point, actually. IIRC Dual Destinies got incredible reviews once it came out, and now it's one of the most divisive games in the franchise. I could see SoJ having a similar fate.

Eh, I'm about halfway through now, and I think GS6 is pretty much middle-of-the-road. Better than JFA and DD, but not as good as T&T or GK2.

There's no question that GS6 is visually the best entry in the franchise (although I think DGS has better aesthetics), and so I can definitely understand how people enjoy 'watching' it. But the OST is overall subpar and the cases themselves are... good, but not great. They're interesting and well-crafted, but the twists don't go beyond the level that we're pretty much used to by now, and don't really try to take any risks. (Instead they just try to up the stakes to 11 every case, which... doesn't do much for the player, since we know we're gonna win.)

Maybe the overarching plot will pick things up... (Of course, everything related to Khura'in so far has been totally idiotic, but... we'll see.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Yabba Dabba Doo

Bad Player wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Eh, I'm about halfway through now, and I think GS6 is pretty much middle-of-the-road. Better than JFA and DD, but not as good as T&T or GK2.

There's no question that GS6 is visually the best entry in the franchise (although I think DGS has better aesthetics), and so I can definitely understand how people enjoy 'watching' it. But the OST is overall subpar and the cases themselves are... good, but not great. They're interesting and well-crafted, but the twists don't go beyond the level that we're pretty much used to by now, and don't really try to take any risks. (Instead they just try to up the stakes to 11 every case, which... doesn't do much for the player, since we know we're gonna win.)

Maybe the overarching plot will pick things up... (Of course, everything related to Khura'in so far has been totally idiotic, but... we'll see.)

You're actually the first person I've heard say that the soundtrack is subpar :udgey:

1000% Knight

*shrug* It's generally fitting but largely forgettable. There's Nayuta's theme, and a couple of investigation songs, and... all the other good tracks are remixes of existing songs. Some of the most important songs (like pursuit) also really miss the mark.

The biggest issue imo is that pretty much none of the songs (except for the remixed tracks) have strong melodies, which is what makes them impactful and memorable.

Gardevoir lover

Personally i mainly just like the remixes to Apollo, Ema and Larry's themes. Most of the other tracks seem kind of boring.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Yabba Dabba Doo

I will admit that there are some songs that are pretty "meh" in my opinion (The reminiscence themes come to mind). From what I've heard, the community is actually pretty split on the Pursuit theme as well.

Either way, have fun finishing the game.

I agree on the soundtrack, actually. Very subpar from what I've heard (and I actually liked DD's). I usually don't like spoiling the OST for myself beforehand but all the sample tracks I wanted to listen to left me so unsatisfied that I just binged

I don't even really like Nayuta's theme that much. I think it'd work fine as a location theme or something but as a prosecutor theme I'm a bit underwhelmed. I guess I'll wait to see its context in game

All the remixes are very disappointing to me which kind of made me think Iwadare is out of gas. Athena's theme sounds like a track for an Ace Attorney stage in a Smash game. I actually do like it, but I would rather have a new song. I did love the remix of Hazakurain though, which I always thought was an underrated track

Pursuit missed the mark completely, as did the Victory theme. It has the same problem I had with DD's in that its too happy instead of bittersweet.

The Investigation themes sound good, not great. Same with Confess the Truth (I can see myself getting sick of it if its overused though). I love Cross Examination Moderato, Allegro, and the Detention Center theme (serious RE vibes actually)

Wotter boy

My favourites are the Cross Examination themes and the "Eccentric person" aka Mimi/Puuko track.

1000% Knight

JesusMonroe wrote:
I don't even really like Nayuta's theme that much. I think it'd work fine as a location theme or something but as a prosecutor theme I'm a bit underwhelmed. I guess I'll wait to see its context in game

It works great in-game, actually. If Nayuta was a Naruto character his fighting style would be gentle fist, so while it definitely sounds like it should be underwhelming for a prosecutor's theme, it works great in-game.

(Unlike Blackquill's theme, which sounds underwhelming, and... doesn't match Blackquill's in-game intensity at all, for example.)

Didn't play the japanese version of DDwhere Blackquill is apparently more viscious, but for the english version his theme matches him perfectly. He's like a lion laying low patiently until its prey appears and theme has that sense of understated danger.

He wasn't written to be super scary and intense, he's more just threatening and then dangerous if provoked.

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
He wasn't written to be super scary and intense, he's more just threatening and then dangerous if provoked.

Then I'm not sure why everyone screamed in terror every time Blackquill so much as blinked...

Blackquill's character was also all over the place (emo psychologist murderer samurai prosecutor who helped out at a emotional research unit in a robotics lab in a space center?), and the chamber music style of this theme didn't go with any of that.

Nayuta's character is much more cohesive, and his theme fits in with it.

元・超会社員級の管理人

I finished the game yesterday. While I still plan to write a full review (maybe even an additional spoiler-focused one), here are some random thoughts:

• My first and foremost thought walking away is that this game is an absolute mess from a plotting perspective. Cases are strangely paced, characters have connections that don't make any real sense, the final case is totally overstuffed, character histories are retconned...
  • Despite (or maybe precisely because of) the above, it winds up being more entertaining than it has any right to at times. The ending of this game is, I think, objectively absurd, but I also had a pretty big grin on my face during the final objection.
  • Beyond the plotting, the line-to-line writing still has issues, especially early on. Characters still repeat concepts ad infinitum, the game still holds your hand too much at times, some characters still lean on particular traits too much, etc.
  • I do think characters were handled much better than AA6 when divorced from the mess that is the actual plot. Nobody got on my nerves like AA5's one-noters did (give or take a witness), and the main characters (give or take Athena) felt like they had plenty to contribute.
  • Returning characters were also better handled than AA5. I will warn folks straight-up that Maya is not in the game as much as you would expect given the marketing. But she, Ema, and Blackquill are all given roles that make sense. Edgeworth and another character in the last case, not so much, but then again that was inevitable given how much was going on.
  • The music was decent. There's a few tracks I really quite like, such as Allegro, Rayfa's theme, and the Objection! themes, but others are much more forgettable (the non-main character leitmotifs in particular.)
  • The graphics and animations are a big step up from AA5, but they also don't seem targeted for the O3DS, and maybe not even the N3DS. There's a lot of fancy 3D cutscenes and animation that get pretty darn framey, and it's really noticeable when the credits run and the background video is showing a lot of them again at 30 frames per second.
  • The game seemed slightly harder than AA5, but that's not a high bar to clear.
  • Divination Seances are great! I was surprised at how fun they were to solve and what a nice change of pace from standard testimony they proved to be. But like Joint Reasoning in DGS, they're a bit too few and far apart.
  • Ultimately the thing about this game is: I can't talk about this game well without talking about a lot of the later plot developments/spoilers. This game is, I think, a total mess, but it's at least a very entertaining one at times with occasional legitimately good twists (including one in case 5 that, though I guessed early, was still really darn good.) This is probably going to be the most divisive Ace Attorney game we've had.

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Bolt Storm wrote:
I finished the game yesterday. While I still plan to write a full review (maybe even an additional spoiler-focused one), here are some random thoughts:

• My first and foremost thought walking away is that this game is an absolute mess from a plotting perspective. Cases are strangely paced, characters have connections that don't make any real sense, the final case is totally overstuffed, character histories are retconned...
  • Despite (or maybe precisely because of) the above, it winds up being more entertaining than it has any right to at times. The ending of this game is, I think, objectively absurd, but I also had a pretty big grin on my face during the final objection.
  • Beyond the plotting, the line-to-line writing still has issues, especially early on. Characters still repeat concepts ad infinitum, the game still holds your hand too much at times, some characters still lean on particular traits too much, etc.
  • I do think characters were handled much better than AA6 when divorced from the mess that is the actual plot. Nobody got on my nerves like AA5's one-noters did (give or take a witness), and the main characters (give or take Athena) felt like they had plenty to contribute.
  • Returning characters were also better handled than AA5. I will warn folks straight-up that Maya is not in the game as much as you would expect given the marketing. But she, Ema, and Blackquill are all given roles that make sense. Edgeworth and another character in the last case, not so much, but then again that was inevitable given how much was going on.
  • The music was decent. There's a few tracks I really quite like, such as Allegro, Rayfa's theme, and the Objection! themes, but others are much more forgettable (the non-main character leitmotifs in particular.)
  • The graphics and animations are a big step up from AA5, but they also don't seem targeted for the O3DS, and maybe not even the N3DS. There's a lot of fancy 3D cutscenes and animation that get pretty darn framey, and it's really noticeable when the credits run and the background video is showing a lot of them again at 30 frames per second.
  • The game seemed slightly harder than AA5, but that's not a high bar to clear.
  • Divination Seances are great! I was surprised at how fun they were to solve and what a nice change of pace from standard testimony they proved to be. But like Joint Reasoning in DGS, they're a bit too few and far apart.
  • Ultimately the thing about this game is: I can't talk about this game well without talking about a lot of the later plot developments/spoilers. This game is, I think, a total mess, but it's at least a very entertaining one at times with occasional legitimately good twists (including one in case 5 that, though I guessed early, was still really darn good.) This is probably going to be the most divisive Ace Attorney game we've had.

This sums up my experience about perfectly, except I'm a little more into the plot and OST. The pacing is flat out weird, but I've never been one to mind when it gets really crazy. I honestly agree with this most likely being the most divisive game in the franchise (And after DD, that's saying something.)

Quote:
character histories are retconned...

Can you elaborate on this? All I want to hear is which characters are involved in the retcon

Were the filler villains and their motives better than DD?

Wotter boy

JesusMonroe wrote:
Quote:

Can you elaborate on this? All I want to hear is which characters are involved in the retcon

Filler villains?
Spoiler:
I assume you mean the not-Big Bad villains. Because Puuko is the only real "filler" villain.

Yabba Dabba Doo

JesusMonroe wrote:
Quote:

Spoiler:
The villains in this game are IMO much more thought out than before. Only one had a direct monetary motive (And it was the first villain, too), which is pretty impressive considering that there's 6 villains in the game (One of the cases doesn't really have a villain, but I'm counting the culprit of it here.)

I can confirm, being a n3DS player that the framerate doesn't get a boost, and it is notably choppier than DD which is something I'll have to get used to. (but with homebrew I think it's possible to manually speed up things, but it might not do a whole lot since it's the graphics processor that's being overworked)

It's a good idea not to use 3D at all becuase it just makes the framerate too laggy I think. I think it's around an average of 20fps maybe, but the framerate seems to have been locked so it doesn't go above 30 when you get 2D artwork.

Beauty and grace.

Character histories are retconned????? That's weird. I hope you're not talking about BIG parts like Trucy and Apollo's connection and more of little things like what major Phoenix had in college or something.

Also, disappointed to hear the plot is messy, but when I played DD, I didn't really have a problem with the plot (my issue was more with the constant reiteration of the Dark Age of the Law and the "ooooh you're so brave Athena" shit). So I don't think I'll have an issue here, especially if the game focuses a lot on Apollo.

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Then I'm not sure why everyone screamed in terror every time Blackquill so much as blinked...

Blackquill's character was also all over the place (emo psychologist murderer samurai prosecutor who helped out at a emotional research unit in a robotics lab in a space center?), and the chamber music style of this theme didn't go with any of that.

Well, you got me there with the first argument, and it's true they do all find him "scary" but again, I think it's more the sense of how he's like a lion that lies in wait and every time it finally moves it scares the crap out of you, and as for the "chamber-style" which I can definitely hear, I think that is because he's an opponent who seems dangerous and dark, it even has those chain sound-effects to match how he's straight outta jail literally, and the rest (the actual melody with the clarinet) is rather calm for the lack of a better word, which is that understatedness, which I do think he has, (also why he's always like ".........(dialogue)")

I just can't picture what else the music would've been like and I certainly don't think some fierce rock music or nightmarish horror theme would've fit or whatever else that isn't as low-key.

Anywhoo, I haven't experienced Nayuta as a character yet, but I think his theme is awesome so far. Nothing I'll be humming too much but it fits from what I'm sensing.

元・超会社員級の管理人

linkenski wrote:
I can confirm, being a n3DS player that the framerate doesn't get a boost, and it is notably choppier than DD which is something I'll have to get used to. (but with homebrew I think it's possible to manually speed up things, but it might not do a whole lot since it's the graphics processor that's being overworked)

It's a good idea not to use 3D at all becuase it just makes the framerate too laggy I think. I think it's around an average of 20fps maybe, but the framerate seems to have been locked so it doesn't go above 30 when you get 2D artwork.

In that case I'm guessing they targeted iOS during development as well and we'll see a port announcement in a few months. It's a shame, because I really like the new 3D animations - they just don't run well.

Also, about the retcon thing - that may have been slightly too strong a word. I don't think the game ever goes back and says "this thing that happened before didn't happen." What it does do is shove in some major new backstory and character relations that had never been mentioned before and which don't make a lot of sense to have never mentioned before. It also uses the letter of the law in dodging a retcon at one point.

As for which characters...

Spoiler: AA6 general
Apollo and the Gramaryes have their backstories altered/expanded in ways that don't really make sense.

Wooster wrote:

Yabba Dabba Doo

This is, from what I can tell, the most Yamazaki-type AA game we've gotten since. People who like Yamazaki's writing style and his tendency to have huge plot twists that don't entirely make a lot of sense will probably like this game. Those who like Takumi's more conservative writing style, not so much.

Lol, I really don't agree with that description. I find Yamazaki's twists to be very effective actually in all his games, I just think his storytelling focuses more on the mystery itself than the "storytelling" while Takumi has more fun but occasionally predictable twists and plenty of endearing character conversations and creative characters, usually he also gets to make fun of certain personality stereotypes. I don't really see what part of his writing is conservative.

Yamazaki certainly has "bigger" ideas though but sometimes you get the feeling he can't quite hold down all the impulses or filter out the weirdest ideas when he's plotting a story. The bigger ideas, the better the execution needs to be, and that's his achilles heel, I think. He also has a very strange fixation with making up nonsensical evidence. The most convenient plot-details are written down by characters. It's his characters are more devices for mystery while Takumi thinks character first and then "how can this character, given his personality and motivation, fit into my mystery?" (there are exceptions, like Lotta or Larry in JFA or T&T), and then there's the whole "impact" thing. I sometimes think if Yamazaki had written 1-4 the case opening would've showed Gourdy attacking Edgeworth or something instead and then the mystery would revolve around that, just to make a situation in a nutshell.

Takumi is usually better at pacing trial segments, with more creative uses of cross-examinations like "press statement 4, then statement 1 has new meaning and present evidence to proceed" and genereally the pacing is less methodical. I felt like in AAI especially that it was just going through every possible´circumstance for each scenario in a very linear fashion like "X guy hit that person, I must figure out how he was killed", "Good, now we need to confirm how he got the weapon", "good now we need to figure out why the fingerprints weren't on that weapon" etc. it's just more lethargic and into the tinier details and I like the pacing better in pretty much all the Takumi games.

But generally I still think all things considered that Yamazaki as a replacement for Takumi in the main series is a better case scenario than if it had just been a bunch of randomly hired industry writers or something. He is a huge fan himself and he mostly recaptures the essence of what makes a great case IMO, and of course some of his approach surpasses Takumi's as well. I just wish I could get a game like AAI2 with less padded dialogue or less zany crimes.

I'm still looking forward to all of the mechanics in this one though, especially investigations.

By the way... how is the more "free" investigations they advertised? Is it still very limited after all?

And lastly, has anyone still not played the pre-order DLCs? I want to know if they're at least entertaining.

Yabba Dabba Doo

linkenski wrote:
Lol, I really don't agree with that description. I find Yamazaki's twists to be very effective actually in all his games, I just think his storytelling focuses more on the mystery itself than the "storytelling" while Takumi has more fun but occasionally predictable twists and plenty of endearing character conversations and creative characters, usually he also gets to make fun of certain personality stereotypes. I don't really see what part of his writing is conservative.

Yamazaki certainly has "bigger" ideas though but sometimes you get the feeling he can't quite hold down all the impulses or filter out the weirdest ideas when he's plotting a story. The bigger ideas, the better the execution needs to be, and that's his achilles heel, I think. He also has a very strange fixation with making up nonsensical evidence. The most convenient plot-details are written down by characters. It's his characters are more devices for mystery while Takumi thinks character first and then "how can this character, given his personality and motivation, fit into my mystery?" (there are exceptions, like Lotta or Larry in JFA or T&T), and then there's the whole "impact" thing. I sometimes think if Yamazaki had written 1-4 the case opening would've showed Gourdy attacking Edgeworth or something instead and then the mystery would revolve around that, just to make a situation in a nutshell.

Takumi is usually better at pacing trial segments, with more creative uses of cross-examinations like "press statement 4, then statement 1 has new meaning and present evidence to proceed" and genereally the pacing is less methodical. I felt like in AAI especially that it was just going through every possible´circumstance for each scenario in a very linear fashion like "X guy hit that person, I must figure out how he was killed", "Good, now we need to confirm how he got the weapon", "good now we need to figure out why the fingerprints weren't on that weapon" etc. it's just more lethargic and into the tinier details and I like the pacing better in pretty much all the Takumi games.

But generally I still think all things considered that Yamazaki as a replacement for Takumi in the main series is a better case scenario than if it had just been a bunch of randomly hired industry writers or something. He is a huge fan himself and he mostly recaptures the essence of what makes a great case IMO, and of course some of his approach surpasses Takumi's as well. I just wish I could get a game like AAI2 with less padded dialogue or less zany crimes.

I'm still looking forward to all of the mechanics in this one though, especially investigations.

By the way... how is the more "free" investigations they advertised? Is it still very limited after all?

And lastly, has anyone still not played the pre-order DLCs? I want to know if they're at least entertaining.

I guess that was what I meant (Looking back, I worded it pretty poorly). By "conservative" I mostly meant in the grand scheme of cases. Yamazaki tends to go more with these huge criminal organizations or villains who are, in a way, responsible for everything in the game. His games are also more closely compacted time wise ingame, as cases take place within days of each other quite often. Takumi focused more on individual cases, with the relationships between the characters rather than the story spanning the entire game.

Spoiler: Case 3
Similar to what you said earlier, if Takumi wrote case 3 the intro would probably focus more on the murders themselves rather than setting up context for the vigilante and the two random guys.

Sorry if my original comment was confusing.

Beauty and grace.

Bolt Storm wrote:
linkenski wrote:

In that case I'm guessing they targeted iOS during development as well and we'll see a port announcement in a few months. It's a shame, because I really like the new 3D animations - they just don't run well.

Also, about the retcon thing - that may have been slightly too strong a word. I don't think the game ever goes back and says "this thing that happened before didn't happen." What it does do is shove in some major new backstory and character relations that had never been mentioned before and which don't make a lot of sense to have never mentioned before. It also uses the letter of the law in dodging a retcon at one point.

As for which characters...

Spoiler: AA6 general
Apollo and the Gramaryes have their backstories altered/expanded in ways that don't really make sense.

Not really sure what that would entail, but tbf Trials and Tribulations gave Phoenix and Mia backstories that were never hinted at in the previous two games.
Page 1 of 3 [ 90 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)