Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 2[ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Episode 13: "Turnabout Promise"Topic%20Title

This is a general discussion thread for the thirteenth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Promise".
Re: Episode 13: "Turnabout Promise"Topic%20Title

I liked it enough, however I have my complaints.

the episode was too narration heavy for it's own good in places (you really didn't have to tell us Edgeworth stopped coming to school, we can tell that it the case visually).

The animation was less awful than last episode, but still awkward and consistently off model. The scene composition was also completely lifeless outside of a couple of moments involving lighting.

The music was awkwardly integrated. Nothing out of the ordinary for the show though.

Aside from that it was a interesting little filler episode and worked well as a lead in to...Case two of the second game? Huh.

Interested in seeing if there is a OP/ED change as we move into the second half, I'm getting a bit sick of the first OP to be completely honest.

7/10

迷探偵

Takumi tweeted about his own class trial in preparation for the broadcast of today's episode by the way.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

What's between the bread?

Pretty mixed on this. It more or less told us a lot of stuff we already knew, even if you've only watched the anime, but it was nice to see the trio as kids and get a full, pretty much uncut look at everything that happened. Still probably the most interesting thing is that next week they're jumping straight to Case 2-2, which I guess means they're going chronologically this time since, as one big anime, the flashback to how he reunited with Maya is kind of unnecessary, since we just saw her leave a couple of episodes ago. Probably why the buffer episode even exists really.

迷探偵

This is an interesting article that points out that this series had a funny reference to the drama 99.9% (which ran this season and ended last week) and vice versa. 99.9% stars MatsuJun of Arashi-fame, and is about a defense attorney who, in a society where in 99.9% of all criminal cases the defendant is found guilty, tries to pull of the 0.1% miracle (and like in AA, it's easier to do that by finding out the truth/catching the real murderer).

In today's episode of AA, the word "99.9" appears as a sponsor for the anime Edgeworth is watching. In the last episode of the drama 99.9% on the other hand, the names "Mitsurugi Reiji" (Edgeworth) and "Karuma Mei" (Franziska) can be spotted in a newspaper in the credit scene.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

I really liked this episode. The animation actually was pretty solid this time around, as if they spent all their time on this and all the other episodes were an afterthought.
What I really liked about this episode that it answered one question I've always had in the games. "How did those three become friends?" Because I honestly couldn't see how. Sure, the class trial kick-started it, but you'd still need to have some chemistry to become friends after that, and I had never really seen this chemistry up until now.
It was really nice to see them as kids and just be... little kids, to break the pace a little. It humanized Edgeworth a lot more and puts so much more context as to why Phoenix would go so far as to pursue a certain career just to meet with Edgeworth again -- because we've mostly seen Edgeworth as cold and distant.

Ash wrote:
This is an interesting article that points out that this series had a funny reference to the drama 99.9% (which ran this season and ended last week) and vice versa. 99.9% stars MatsuJun of Arashi-fame, and is about a defense attorney who, in a society where in 99.9% of all criminal cases the defendant is found guilty, tries to pull of the 1% miracle (and like in AA, it's easier to do that by finding out the truth/catching the real murderer).

In today's episode of AA, the words "99.9" appears as a sponsor for the anime Edgeworth is watching. In the last episode of 99.9% on the other hand, the names "Mitsurugi Reiji" (Edgeworth) and "Karuma Mei" (Franziska) can be spotted in a newspaper in the credit scene.

That's pretty cool! How do these two shows compare? Saying you called it a drama, I presume it has live actors?

迷探偵

Nurio wrote:
That's pretty cool! How do these two shows compare? Saying you called it a drama, I presume it has live actors?

It's a live-action drama series (Offical website). I have only seen one episode of it, fairly amusing mystery series, from what I saw.

I must say, I really enjoyed this episode. I got over animation problems a few episodes before, I got used to strange voice acting for kids, so I could focus on the story.
In other animes I usually hate filler episodes, here - I love and will love every one of them.
I loved how shy and awkward Edgeworth was as a kid. I loved how they showed his dad. Gregory Edgeworth holds a special place in my heart and I'm happy that I could see him alive, breathing and spending time with Edgeworth.
Chibi Franziska von Karma was hilarious, in my opinion she was portrayed as older that she should be, but I didn't mind it all that much.

What really, really, really annoyed me about this episode was Edgeworth's behaviour after his dad was killed. I know, it's Japan, people are supposed to be different there and not so open with their emotions etc. etc.... But I don't believe that ONE DAY (if I remember correctly von Karma took Miles away one day after murdering Gregory) after loosing his dad any kid that was as close to a dead parent as Miles would behave like he did. Edgworth was raised only by his dad, Gregory was his whole family, von Karma takes him from his home so suddenly.... and I don't see any real grief. Sure, he is sad, but he should be devastated! He shouldn't be concerned about friendship at all! Adult people often have problems in coping with loosing somebody close to them, the children are even more fragile! And all I get are a few sad faces... and that's it? Of course, I'm happy that he and Phoenix are so close together, but I would enjoy those scenes more if they happened BEFORE the murder. Phoenix and Larry, despite being friends, didn't ask why Edgeworth was leaving? That's the first thing a normal kid would ask!

When no other bird dares to take wing.

I'm actually a little sad that Edgey was always stiff, serious, and distant, even as a kid -- I'd hoped he would be more carefree and that the change in his personality was the result of trauma over his father's death and his upbringing by von Karma.

Little Franziska was cute. I think you're right that they aged her up. She's supposed to be seven years younger than him, but here she's no more than four years younger. She might even be his age.

And aww, Gregory Edgeworth was such a good dad. Look at him bringing in a dog when they're already so broke they're eating TV dinners, just because his son unbent enough to admit that he wanted on.

What do you suppose it means that Edgeworth took his keychain with him at the end? "This still matters to me, so I'm taking it with me" or "I'm not coming back this time; don't look for me"?

A Kirby and AA fan

chariset wrote:
Little Franziska was cute. I think you're right that they aged her up. She's supposed to be seven years younger than him, but here she's no more than four years younger. She might even be his age.

Yeah, Franziska is supposed to be... 2 at this point, I believe. But she definitely didn't look or act 2!
They probably did this so they could introduce Franziska early and lead into her showing up as a prosecutor in the next episode.

chariset wrote:
And aww, Gregory Edgeworth was such a good dad. Look at him bringing in a dog when they're already so broke they're eating TV dinners, just because his son unbent enough to admit that he wanted on.

The Edgeworth family doesn't seem that poor to me, with the way Miles is dressed even from young age and Gregory's job (and his success in that). I think the TV dinners are more about how busy Gregory is, that he doesn't even have the time to properly cook. ...Or that he can't cook.

I also like sneaking out of Germany on foot from time to time.

Sligneris wrote:

I guess at this point von Karma was living in Japan and only later he sent his daughter back to Germany to study.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Pess the Pomeranian confirmed. I knew Takumi wouldn't let me down.

Aside from the usual visual inconsistencies and Franziska looking older than she should be, I quite enjoyed this episode. It definitely had a bit of a Det. Conan feel to it at some points, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and the interaction of them as kids certainly gave the episode a fresh take on the characters that was missing for a good deal of the games. (And poor Miles. He has all the horrible luck. Even Larry gets luckier than he does. Larry.) This anime has been pretty good with its kids so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing Pearls.

Kiva wrote:
Edgworth was raised only by his dad, Gregory was his whole family, von Karma takes him from his home so suddenly.... and I don't see any real grief. Sure, he is sad, but he should be devastated! He shouldn't be concerned about friendship at all!

I don't mind as much that Miles would still be thinking about his buddies just after he lost his dad. It's not like DL-6 took place that soon after the class trial; they had some months to bond. It makes more sense to me that Edgeworth started to avoid Phoenix's letters over the years because he came to live with the von Karmas and was taught a different set of ideals. It's also likely MvK tossed any mail that wasn't important enough, so they might not have even made it over to Edgeworth.

Also, they may be kids, but they know Edgey well enough to not pry into his private affairs. Said old prosecutor could have been a family friend, after all...

Lusankya wrote:
Sligneris wrote:

I guess at this point von Karma was living in Japan and only later he sent his daughter back to Germany to study.

*Germerica. Come on guys.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The miracle finally happen...

I have to say, this is so far my favourite episode, perhaps solely because it gives a new perspective that the games hadn't shown us before. I will admit that one of my main problems with the anime is how poorly it adapts the game's narrative, so it's nice that we get a new story that alleviates this issue. Even though the animation quality is still consistently terrible, it was still a pleasure to sit through.

On a side note, I'm 13 episodes in and I still don't understand why they went with the sunflower motif in the opening and ending...

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I'm just guessing here, but I think it's because Nick's badge looks like a sunflower. He has so many badges!

Anyway, I found this interesting article about how sunflowers came to become symbols of hope and recovery.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Programmer

Usually I complain about the changes the anime does. But not here. I like every single change.

Showing Franziska too early? No problem. She's just as adorable as she should be in her all too authoritative behavior. The age issue is unimportant and the gain is worth it. She only has like a minute of screen time, but that's more than worth ignoring a trifling matter like age here.

The bigger change is the story of how Larry got the money. In the game it was pretty clear that he flat out stole it. But here? It's another typical misadventure of his. It fits his character much better. He really isn't the kind of guy who'd steal. He even brings it to the police and waits a decent amount of time before he gets it back.

This does however create a minor issue in his motive for standing up to Phoenix. In the game it was partly because he knew that Phoenix was innocent. He was too dumb to realize that he might've implicated himself, but in the end it really was the same motive as here in the anime. He just doesn't like people being bullied like this.

I am a bit disappointed that they choose to ignore Rise from the ashes. It may have been filler, but it was needed filler. It helped sell the time Maya was gone. And it helped build on Edgeworth's character. I suppose the anime doesn't technically make it impossible to adapt the story later as an OVA, but fact that they didn't cover it here hurts the larger pacing of the show. And it's not a bad story on its own either.

I am more surprised that they appear to ignore a second episode from the games too. Sure, it was a tutorial episode and didn't contribute much to the overall plot, but while it's not the most trilling story, it's not a bad story either and it does introduce a reoccurring character to the story. It's not like it's an expensive one to cover either. It would only have cost them one episode.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

A Kirby and AA fan

henke37 wrote:
The bigger change is the story of how Larry got the money. In the game it was pretty clear that he flat out stole it. But here? It's another typical misadventure of his. It fits his character much better. He really isn't the kind of guy who'd steal. He even brings it to the police and waits a decent amount of time before he gets it back.

What I don't get about this is... How does Larry eventually figure out it was Miles's money? He returns it at the end of Turnabout Goodbyes, so he figured out at some point it was Miles's money... But when and how?

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Is this the origin of Pess? I hope the dog comes back later in the anime.
Edit: It's bee 15 years. I doubt it.

Rise From the Ashes is long, so I understand why it looks like it's getting skipped. As for The Lost Turnabout, I wonder if the anime is going to sort the cases in chronological order, as 2-1 occurred after 2-2. Personally, I think starting with 2-1 is better for reintroducing Maya to the player/viewer.

Nurio wrote:
henke37 wrote:

What I don't get about this is... How does Larry eventually figure out it was Miles's money? He returns it at the end of Turnabout Goodbyes, so he figured out at some point it was Miles's money... But when and how?

Yes, exactly. The anime suggests that the dog took the money. The money was in the small envelope... How exactly Pesu (I will call him/her Pesu, I love that name and implications ^.^) stole the money without destroying the envelope? Or at least without getting it all dirty and wet with saliva? Pesu can't be THAT subtle.

For me it's actually funny how they interpret Larry's motives for taking the money in different media. In the game - it's a mystery. In the movie - he needed the money to buy himself a plastic toy. Here - the dog took it (haha, as well as my homework ^.^). But I guess they had to do it in order to show that Larry is a nice guy.

A theft is a theft after all, Larry did a terrible thing back then.

Programmer

I think that the collision between Phoenix and Edgeworth is what separated the money from the envelope. Without separating the individual bills or scuffing the envelope. Then the dog somehow decided to pick up the entire pack of bills. That's where Larry enters the picture, finding a dog that is holding a bunch of money in his mouth.

So yeah, Larry should've had no idea that the money was Edgeworth's.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

A Kirby and AA fan

henke37 wrote:
I think that the collision between Phoenix and Edgeworth is what separated the money from the envelope. Without separating the individual bills or scuffing the envelope. Then the dog somehow decided to pick up the entire pack of bills. That's where Larry enters the picture, finding a dog that is holding a bunch of money in his mouth.

Exactly. So, it is a contradiction, right? I finally found one, right? I'm Phoenix right, Wright!?

henke37 wrote:

I don't think he knew it was Edgeworth's at the time, no. But after a while he must have figured it out, since he offers to repay Edgeworth at the very end of Turnabout Goodbyes. It's not like it would be difficult.

Found a bunch of money here --> Edgeworth walks this way when he goes to school every day --> Edgeworth lost his lunch money --> Nick didn't take it. --> So the money I found was.... oh.

Besides, in the US version it was a weirdly specific amount. Even Larry could figure out that the $38 he found on the ground and the $38 that went missing from a friend were probably related.

Dragongirl

RoyalTanki wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for the thirteenth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Promise".

Such a very cute episode that was...Love the puppy! :pearl: I see it'll only be two important episodes from the Justice for All to make into an Anime; I hope one day they'll do more and the third one in the future too. Friendship between Phoenix, Edgeworth, and Larry is something else.
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

No Rise From The Ashes is a bummer. It was one of the best case, Phoenix actually planning ahead.

I wonder what the "promise" was, though. Was it the bit between Phoenix and Edgeworth at the end about how they'd always be friends?

A Kirby and AA fan

chariset wrote:
Found a bunch of money here --> Edgeworth walks this way when he goes to school every day --> Edgeworth lost his lunch money --> Nick didn't take it. --> So the money I found was.... oh.

He handed it in at the police for several months before picking it up for him to keep. If he hadn't figured it out several months after the incident, I doubt he would after that.

So, what I think is that he knew darn well whose money it was, but he didn't care. He did the 'right' thing (even though he knew better) by handing it in to the police so he could pick it up later himself. His conscience is half cleared, since he at least owns the money legally now, but you can see he avoids to tell Miles how he got the money.
So he's basically not really much better than he was in the games...

Nurio wrote:
chariset wrote:

The Edgeworth family doesn't seem that poor to me, with the way Miles is dressed even from young age and Gregory's job (and his success in that). I think the TV dinners are more about how busy Gregory is, that he doesn't even have the time to properly cook. ...Or that he can't cook.

I actually have another argument for this. Miles got 38 (or was it 36?) dollars for lunch money. That's a freaking lot! No way is the Edgeworth family broke.

迷探偵

Nurio wrote:
I actually have another argument for this. Miles got 38 (or was it 36?) dollars for lunch money. That's a freaking lot! No way is the Edgeworth family broke.

In the original Japanese game, the 3800 yen was to pay for school lunch for a whole month. (Which, after checking right now, is about the average costs per month at elementary school).

Nurio wrote:

I always figured it was part of the heroism. If Phoenix didn't confess, their only lead was gone and Edgeworth had no way of recovering the money. Defending Phoenix meant he'd have to go to his dad and ask for the money again, but he still did it because he knew Phoenix was innocent. In the games, the teacher paid the money back herself, so Edgeworth didn't lose anything, but still.

Of course, now you've got me wondering why Edgeworth didn't go to the police and see if anyone had turned in $38. I guess he thought another kid had taken it, or that whoever found it would have just kept it.

This was very refreshing after all the court-heavy sequences. I'm pretty much over the kid voices (like why is Phoenix the only one who sounds like a kid?) so I was able to really appreciate the episode. Edgeworth being a little uptight as a child, even Pre-Von Karma indoctrination, still makes sense and to see him interact with his dad was so sweet. I like the changes that they made. It didn't bother me that they didn't show Edgeworth being super upset about his father, because we already know that he is, but kids often do want to run back to the familiar because it makes them feel safe. Being with his friends made him feel safe and maybe forget about the terror that had occurred, even if just for a moment.

I also don't mind that they skipped Rise from the Ashes because it's long as hell and would have taken the MOST episodes to really do it justice. I just really hope that they don't change Ini Miney's backstory because it is tragic in every sense of the word and the revelation itself is pretty great.

A Kirby and AA fan

Ash wrote:
In the original Japanese game, the 3800 yen was to pay for school lunch for a whole month. (Which, after checking right now, is about the average costs per month at elementary school).

Ah, I see. It's a monthly lunch allowance. And it's the average cost? Hm, well, I think that still sounds like the Edgeworth family isn't broke.

chariset wrote:
I always figured it was part of the heroism. If Phoenix didn't confess, their only lead was gone and Edgeworth had no way of recovering the money. Defending Phoenix meant he'd have to go to his dad and ask for the money again, but he still did it because he knew Phoenix was innocent. In the games, the teacher paid the money back herself, so Edgeworth didn't lose anything, but still.

Of course, now you've got me wondering why Edgeworth didn't go to the police and see if anyone had turned in $38. I guess he thought another kid had taken it, or that whoever found it would have just kept it.

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with my argument for the Edgeworth family not being broke... =P
I was arguing that Miles had a lot of money (turns out it was just average), meaning his family can't really be broke

Nurio wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with my argument for the Edgeworth family not being broke... =P
I was arguing that Miles had a lot of money (turns out it was just average), meaning his family can't really be broke

Well.... since it's an average amount, it doesn't really prove anything either way. It's hard to know if losing that much money would be a financial hardship.

But I personally like to think that $38 was a substantial chunk of change for them because Miles would be braver to defend someone when a lot of money (relatively) was at stake -- when it wasn't money Gregory Edgeworth could easily afford to lose.

A Kirby and AA fan

I think he would've defended Phoenix even if it were a 5-yen coin, though. So the fact he defended Phoenix doesn't really say much about their wealth

Programmer

brailey wrote:
... I just really hope that they don't change Ini Miney's backstory because it is tragic in every sense of the word and the revelation itself is pretty great.

Judging from the preview teaser, I think we can safely assume that they aren't that insane.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think the concern is how much meddling will go on with the backstory. Although it appears that they're actually including the car crash, unlike earthquakes.

迷探偵

Not sure if everyone noticed it, but the anime will be skipping one week because of The Music Day - Start of Summer live broadcast this Saturday.

Apollon Flame

Ash wrote:
Not sure if everyone noticed it, but the anime will be skipping one week because of The Music Day - Start of Summer live broadcast this Saturday.

Boo. :( I was hyped for them to start the JFA saga.

---

Buuut.... back on topic~ I liked this episode. I specially liked how they touched the Edworth's relationship.
A King

in name

alone...

The cape is self-fluttering

LITTLE EDGEY BLUSHING AND ASKING DADDY FOR HIS HEART'S DESIRE. THAT IS SO PRECIOUS.

*ahem*

Overall, good episode. It was nice to see them expand upon the relationship between the three boys. I enjoyed seeing Miles trying to be a grown-up while wrestling with desires to be a kid at the same time.

Franziska's manner of speech was a bit too perfect for a toddler. I've known kids around 2 to 3 years of age who can speak clearly, but Franny flawlessly putting together a sentence like "From now on, I'll teach you everything you need to know"? Though it is possible it's something she heard Manfred say a lot, and she was just imitating him.

I did like how the three boys reunited briefly at the end. In the game, it just sounded like Miles failed to show up to school on the 29th (or I guess 31st, unless they have Saturday classes or something). In between that and not really seeing much of the boys' interaction, it did make Phoenix seem a bit silly for going above and beyond for a friend he only knew for a year (at least until you realize that it's just the kind of person Phoenix is). Then again, in the anime, it's not clear if Miles just drifted apart under Manfred's teachings or if he made a clean break after that last encounter.

Can't wait to see how Phoenix takes the news of the "suicide" note.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

The miracle never happen

-deleted-
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Last edited by Kessler on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaking of that, what was the story behind the lunch money being taken in the game?

迷探偵

There is no story in the game. He just took it.
Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo